03-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Chris Brown TEN
TJ Duckett DET - picked up by SEA?
Tatum Bell DET
Julius Jones DAL - picked up by DET?
Derrick Ward NYG
Ron Dayne HOU
Warrick Dunn ATL

People keep talking like Dayne is already set to come back, but he's not. You're GM, and we have plenty of money left in the Cap. Who do you pick up to go with Green, Taylor, Walker?

I like Tatum Bell here, but Dayne already knows our Denver Bay hybrid system.

tulexan
03-03-2008, 03:37 PM
Chris Brown TEN
TJ Duckett DET
Tatum Bell DET
Julius Jones DAL
Derrick Ward NYG
Ron Dayne HOU

People keep talking like Dayne is already set to come back, but he's not. You're GM, and we have plenty of money left in the Cap. Who do you pick up to go with Green, Taylor, Walker?

The hybrid system is gone. We are going to run a pure ZBS now.

D-ReK
03-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Chris Brown TEN
TJ Duckett DET
Tatum Bell DET
Julius Jones DAL
Derrick Ward NYG
Ron Dayne HOU

Per McClain, we're not bringing Dayne back. Out of that group, my guess is that we settle for Bell. Nepotism is a difficult beast to tame.

swtbound07
03-03-2008, 03:40 PM
hate all of those. Warrick Dunn in 08!

Errant Hothy
03-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Chris Brown TEN
TJ Duckett DET
Tatum Bell DET
Julius Jones DAL
Derrick Ward NYG
Ron Dayne HOU

Out of that group I'd prefer Ward of Jones, and I don't particularly like Jones. The rest seem like cast-offs to me.

The Pencil Neck
03-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Duckett just signed with Seattle.
Dayne's probably not coming back.
I've heard that Jones is going to Detroit but I'm not sure that's real.

I wouldn't mind Tatum Bell. I think we should at least talk to Mike Anderson. Warrick Dunn's age scares me, but if we lose Dayne... I don't mind plugging Dunn in for Dayne if the price is right.

El Tejano
03-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Julius Jones is now a Lion. Take him off the list.

I like Cris Brown. However this thread makes more of a point to getting Dunn. All these guys suck or are injury prone. Dunn would be better than all of them.

HOU-TEX
03-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Chris Brown TEN
TJ Duckett DET
Tatum Bell DET
Julius Jones DAL
Derrick Ward NYG
Ron Dayne HOU

A rookie from the draft. :cool:

TexansSeminole
03-03-2008, 03:46 PM

I wouldn't mind Tatum Bell. I think we should at least talk to Mike Anderson. Warrick Dunn's age scares me, but if we lose Dayne... I don't mind plugging Dunn in for Dayne if the price is right.

Dunn is an upgrade over Dayne. Dunn will be in better physical shape when he is 40 than Dayne has ever been in his life.

Texan_Bill
03-03-2008, 03:48 PM
This guy
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
V

http://www.earlcampbell.com/image_gallery/images/oilers_gall1.jpg

Hardcore Texan
03-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Chris Brown TEN
Tatum Bell DET
Derrick Ward NYG
Ron Dayne HOU
Warrick Dunn ATL

Out of that group I like Ward prolly the most.

drewmar74
03-03-2008, 04:00 PM

Agreed on the Mike Anderson bit. He did well in the ZBS up in Denver and he didn't see many carries in Baltimore. If we're going to bring in a RB, why not him? Apparently Dunn is on record saying that he wants to go to a team that is going to be in the playoffs. Now, no slight to us, but I reckon he means a team that gives him an almost definite chance to get deep in the playoffs. Sadly, I don't think any of us think that is us.

So, if you want to upgrade Dayne with another veteran back then why not bring in Anderson?

For what its worth, I'm still scratching my head on what we're doing at RB. We've got Ah!-Mah-knee! Green who's a bit of a question mark after last year. Dayne-Train appears to be gone even though he was our most consistent of all our inconsistent backs. Chris Taylor who we've not heard a peep from since tearing his patellar tendon last year and Darius "Fivehead" Walker.

If they sign a veteran retread like Mike Anderson or Warrick Dunn, then you have to wonder what the plan is. Could they really be looking to draft a rookie and go to camp with Rookie A, Green, Retread to be named later, Taylor, and Walker?

michaelm
03-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Out of that group I like Ward prolly the most.

I've been saying Ward is the best option for a while. Even before Turner signed with ATL, I wanted Ward more because he won't break our bank...
I think he would do pretty well for us.

Ole Miss Texan
03-03-2008, 04:05 PM
As mentioned in another thread, there's a decent chance Shaun Alexander may get released from the Seahawks. Not saying he'd be a fit here or we'd want him but there's a name of a RB since we most likely won't hear anything for a while as far as us actually signing a RB.

Also, Denver has Travis Henry, Mike Bell, and Selvin Young as probably their top 3 RB's? Wonder what the chance is they cut Andre Hall (South Florida). He's 5'8, 212lbs (averaged almost 5 yards per carry on 44 carries last year, 2 TD's and 1 Fumb. also 2 receptions for 69 yards) How many RB's does denver generally carry??

I have a feeling we're setting ourselves up for dissappointment if we keep talking about the current 'stop gap' RB's or those that we'd have to trade for/give up picks for. I have a strong feeling we're not going to sign a RB most are pleased with until teams start releasing more players.

I see picking up a FA RB, drafting one, and looking at another as a UDFA. Dayne is being rumored to no be re-signed?, so that leaves Green, Walker, and Taylor as the competition. I don't see Green getting cut unless we have a solid veteran RB that is our starter already signed up.

Ole Miss Texan
03-03-2008, 04:12 PM
I've been saying Ward is the best option for a while. Even before Turner signed with ATL, I wanted Ward more because he won't break our bank...

I like Derrick Ward as well and he may be a guy worth sending a 7th rounder to NY for because he's a RFA. It just worries me that he suffered a broken leg 3 months ago. Any news how he's recovering?

Also, any news on Chris Taylor's recovery?

badboy
03-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Chris Brown TEN
Tatum Bell DET
Derrick Ward NYG
Ron Dayne HOU
Warrick Dunn ATL

I like Tatum Bell here, but Dayne already knows our Denver Bay hybrid system.No one. I cut Green June first and save $3.8million. I draft Stewart or Mendenhall in first for my primary back. If no one signs Dayne, I might offer him a minimum contract but probably not. At RB you do not need experience. You can go with power and/or speed. Even Forte in 3rd would be an option for me if my first two guys are not there. I want young legs and a guy that want to play.

drewmar74
03-03-2008, 04:24 PM
ROD "HE HATE ME" SMART!

Get it done, Rick Smith!

scourge
03-03-2008, 04:26 PM
I'd say just wait and get one in the 3rd round. I still say the first round should be cb/fs.

brickman
03-03-2008, 04:29 PM
No one. I cut Green June first and save $3.8million. I draft Stewart or Mendenhall in first for my primary back. If no one signs Dayne, I might offer him a minimum contract but probably not. At RB you do not need experience. You can go with power and/or speed. Even Forte in 3rd would be an option for me if my first two guys are not there. I want young legs and a guy that want to play.

EXACTLY!!!! We don't need or want anybody's castoffs!

DiehardChris
03-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Tatum Bell is a terrible blocker, has been knocked for a lack of toughness, and is really nothing more than a glorified 3rd down back. He had a chance to be the featured back for Detroit last year - but the Lions COULDN'T WAIT for an above average player AT BEST like Kevin Jones to come back and reclaim his job.

No, no, no to Tatum Bell.

DiehardChris
03-03-2008, 04:35 PM

Hey, we agree on something. I really like Ward. He's 27, and coming off an injury, which should keep his price down... but those are also two things that might scare us away.

But before he broke his leg, he was playing hurt and STILL running wild for the Giants. I love his toughness and grit, and he's deceptively fast.

Goldensilence
03-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Honestly I'm not that big on bringing Dayne back. It's not that he hasn't been consistant over the past two years but he's not a plug and play back. He needs carries to be effective.

Ward wouldn't be bad. How would he get tendered though?

the fact we're showing interest in Dunn makes me wonder if we do cut Green or can we restructure his contract?

Forte in the 3rd or Allen Patrick are my choices.

buddyboy
03-03-2008, 04:39 PM
No one. I cut Green June first and save $3.8million. I draft Stewart or Mendenhall in first for my primary back. If no one signs Dayne, I might offer him a minimum contract but probably not. At RB you do not need experience. You can go with power and/or speed. Even Forte in 3rd would be an option for me if my first two guys are not there. I want young legs and a guy that want to play.

Let's say that we do this and Mendenhall and Stewart aren't available and that someone picks up Dayne for a cheap contract, something that I think we should at least offer to our most servicable back for the last two years. Anyway, we cut Green, let Dayne move on to another team, and then draft a third round RB, hoping and praying that SOMEBODY is available. There's no telling that Forte will be there, but assuming he is, we have:

1. Forte
2. Taylor
3. Walker

Awesome! Three backs with a combined 3 years of experience! Because the last time we did away with the veterans on our team, that worked out well too! I'm not saying that it COULDN'T work out, and that we COULDN'T find some veteran in FA, but cutting all of our serviceable backups and going super young might not be the best idea.

DiehardChris
03-03-2008, 04:40 PM
I don't recall how they tendered him... but yeah, that's a problem. We need more draft picks, not less.

Dallas_Texan
03-03-2008, 04:43 PM
I'd say just wait and get one in the 3rd round. I still say the first round should be cb/fs.

I agree with that, but think we need another Vet just in case. I think Green/3rd round pick, Mike Anderson, and Chris Taylor would make a nice RB Corp. Maybe replace Anderson with a few other faces...Tatum Bell if the price is right?

But yes.....1st round should be a CB or FS. I don't like Reeves trying to fill in for Dunta for 3/4's of the season IF Dunta comes back at all. Not to mention if Reeves gets hurt, we have no depth. Oh, OR at FS considering Von Hutchins is gone, and Demps is going elsewhere. We're looking at:

CB1: Fred Bennett (Hasn't played a full year & Demps doesn't have his back)
CB2: Jacques Reeves (Cowboys castoff)
FS: Boulware (Really?!)
SS: CC Brown (Possibly best Safety left)

This could be a LONG season without TWO DB playmakers emerging.

Ole Miss Texan
03-03-2008, 04:45 PM
I don't recall how they tendered him... but yeah, that's a problem. We need more draft picks, not less.

He was the low tender. It would be giving the Giants a 7th round draft pick (because Ward was drafted in the 7th round) and a one year salary of at least $850,000. The Giants would then have the final say by eithermatching our offer or not. IAt least i think that's how it works :)

RipTraxx
03-03-2008, 10:32 PM
He was the low tender. It would be giving the Giants a 7th round draft pick (because Ward was drafted in the 7th round) and a one year salary of at least $850,000. The Giants would then have the final say by eithermatching our offer or not. IAt least i think that's how it works :)

If thats the case i say lets go get him TONIGHT!

buddyboy
03-04-2008, 12:28 AM
The Giants will almost assuredly match our offer, IMO, so it's a moot point.

TK_Gamer
03-04-2008, 12:42 AM
I like ward, I had him on my fantasy team and won many games with him, I also watched him on tv and he looked really quick, not fast, but quick, and he falls forward like he should. I don't think he will be 100% till early in the season though, so he is a slight gamble. I would gamble a 7th and a million dollar 1 year contract on him though. It's gonna be a touch and go offseason this year. The draft is deep, but no guarantees our needs guys will be there when we want. I think the front office is waiting to see what others do and who gets released before the draft so they have a better idea how the draft will go(who will be available).

otisbean
03-04-2008, 07:07 AM
FA RBs look pretty bleak! I am sure we can find a productive RB in the draft. There has to be a couple of guys that are flying under the radar because of their teams lack of an Oline or QB. If Thomas Brown hadn't been injured I would be higher on him. If he is 100% he is a player. I would love Choice, Rice or Smith in the 3rd. I know USC has a back that is supposed to be very talented but got stuck behind other talented guys after being injured (Chauncy Washington I believe)

badboy
03-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Let's say that we do this and Mendenhall and Stewart aren't available and that someone picks up Dayne for a cheap contract, something that I think we should at least offer to our most servicable back for the last two years. Anyway, we cut Green, let Dayne move on to another team, and then draft a third round RB, hoping and praying that SOMEBODY is available. There's no telling that Forte will be there, but assuming he is, we have:

1. Forte
2. Taylor
3. Walker

Awesome! Three backs with a combined 3 years of experience! Because the last time we did away with the veterans on our team, that worked out well too! I'm not saying that it COULDN'T work out, and that we COULDN'T find some veteran in FA, but cutting all of our serviceable backups and going super young might not be the best idea.I voiced the same concerns of "my guy" not being there when I thought he would on another thread. Makes you want to keep clean underwear handy; but that is the draft. It is a crap shoot even if you get your guy regardless of position.

There are backs that should do well in ZBS even if Forte is not there and he may not be. Slaton (more of a scat back imo) Mike Hart, Tashard Choice (he has caught some heat lately)and Allen Patrick (Oklahoma)should be there.

Corey Boyd (6th round) is pretty interesting. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=17344

I'm not big on experience at RB. Using your example, when the veterans were cut, was it experience that was the main factor or quality of the remaining players?

Walker showed me enough to want him on the team. Taylor is like Charles Spencer. What little we have seen screams potential and makes me want to see how each does in TC. Neither should be given a roster spot today.

badboy
03-04-2008, 12:17 PM
I agree with that, but think we need another Vet just in case. I think Green/3rd round pick, Mike Anderson, and Chris Taylor would make a nice RB Corp. Maybe replace Anderson with a few other faces...Tatum Bell if the price is right?

But yes.....1st round should be a CB or FS. I don't like Reeves trying to fill in for Dunta for 3/4's of the season IF Dunta comes back at all. Not to mention if Reeves gets hurt, we have no depth. Oh, OR at FS considering Von Hutchins is gone, and Demps is going elsewhere. We're looking at:

CB1: Fred Bennett (Hasn't played a full year & Demps doesn't have his back)
CB2: Jacques Reeves (Cowboys castoff)
FS: Boulware (Really?!)
SS: CC Brown (Possibly best Safety left)

This could be a LONG season without TWO DB playmakers emerging.Did Walker or Taylor show the most in the few games each has played on Texans?

What FS is available in first round? Phillips and that is it. Straight up vote for Phillips at #18, I do not think he gets many votes. Even if he is the best FS and available, I don't make that selection.

tulexan
03-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Did Walker or Taylor show the most in the few games each has played on Texans?

What FS is available in first round? Phillips and that is it. Straight up vote for Phillips at #18, I do not think he gets many votes. Even if he is the best FS and available, I don't make that selection.

Taylor had significant carries in one game against a very bad Browns team. Walker had limited reps too, but at least had significant carries against three playoff teams and Denver in a nationally televised game.

I think Walker is going to beat out Taylor for the last spot on the roster.

badboy
03-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Taylor had significant carries in one game against a very bad Browns team. Walker had limited reps too, but at least had significant carries against three playoff teams and Denver in a nationally televised game.

I think Walker is going to beat out Taylor for the last spot on the roster.Exactly. So why do some people place Taylor ahead of Walker? Hopes and dreams. Hopes and dreams.

Errant Hothy
03-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Darius Walker has been re-signed.

How many of us even noticed that he was a free agent?

3/3/2008 Signed RB Darius Walker
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/Transactions.asp

Maddict5
03-04-2008, 12:46 PM
he was an ERFA though

DiehardChris
03-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Taylor was an ERFA too, and he signed as well. I didn't know that.

badboy
03-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Smith is quietly spending cap space. He is locking in some good choices in my view.