PDA

View Full Version : Texans "front-runner" for Warrick Dunn--signed with Tampa

DiehardChris
03-03-2008, 12:39 AM
STORY (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/03/02/dunn.release/index.html)

If he's willing to sign for peanuts AND we still go after a YOUNG back - fine.

If he's supposed to be the answer when Ahman Green inevitably goes down, no thanks.

The Pencil Neck
03-03-2008, 12:43 AM
I like Dunn but I just don't think he's right for us or our situation.

stingray
03-03-2008, 12:44 AM
we'll need a scooter in the backfield with Dunn and Green. I'll sign him for an AARP discount.

michaelm
03-03-2008, 12:46 AM
But Houston likely would be the front-runner for his services because of his success under Gibbs and the belief that the Texans are a team on the rise.

There's a bit of a difference between "Texans 'front runner' for Warrick Dunn"
and "Houston likely would be the front runner" (which is just speculation).
Your thread title has a touch of sensationalism to it, much like the typical headline these days...
http://i.cnn.net/si/images/1.gif

WesmanTexanfan
03-03-2008, 12:48 AM
did gibs work with dunn in atlanta?

if so, I trust him untill he dissapoints....

Second Honeymoon
03-03-2008, 12:52 AM
Dunn would be a good addition. If Gibbs gives him the green light, I say get it done. We can offer a starting position with a skilled offense to any prospective RB. We are an attractive destination.

ChampionTexan
03-03-2008, 01:12 AM
Originally posted this in another thread before I realized this was here:

Pros:
1. Dunn hasn't missed a game due to injury in 4 years
2. Dunn has averaged over 4 yards per carry in 3 of the last 4 years
3. Dunn has rushed for over 1,000 yards in 3 of the last 4 years

Cons:
1. Dunn is 2 years older than Ahman Green
2. Dunn has approx. 550 more carries in his NFL career than Green
3. The one year out of the last four he didn't average over 4 ypc and get 1,000 yards was 2007
4. If he's signed, Dayne (at 30 years old) becomes the spring chicken of the Texans 2008 RB stable

I'll care about this when/if it happens.

LORK 88
03-03-2008, 01:45 AM
Originally posted this in another thread before I realized this was here:

Pros:
1. Dunn hasn't missed a game due to injury in 4 years
2. Dunn has averaged over 4 yards per carry in 3 of the last 4 years
3. Dunn has rushed for over 1,000 yards in 3 of the last 4 years

Cons:
1. Dunn is 2 years older than Ahman Green
2. Dunn has approx. 550 more carries in his NFL career than Green
3. The one year out of the last four he didn't average over 4 ypc and get 1,000 yards was 2007
4. If he's signed, Dayne (at 30 years old) becomes the spring chicken of the Texans 2008 RB stable

I'll care about this when/if it happens.
The funny thing is that Gibbs wasn't around during 2007 when Dunn's stats disappeared. I would welcome him in Houston as long as we still drafted a RB and didn't give him a huge contract. His age is the biggest question mark although he really fits the system wonderfully.

disaacks3
03-03-2008, 03:08 AM
:cool: quoted deleted insult
WITHOUT the name-calling, this is getting ticky-tack guys.

*Moderator to Aisle 12, Moderator to Aisle 12 for a clean-up!*

..back to thread...

Just what we need, another aging, lost-a-step RB. (AARB anyone?) :gun:

DiehardChris
03-03-2008, 03:10 AM
I don't know how much clearer I can be, and I hope we don't have to derail this discussion further.

Do you see the subject line? Good.

Do you see the colon after CNNSI? Good.

That means what follows is from CNNSI... and what follows is the statement Texans "front-runner" for Warrick Dunn.

There is a colon after CNNSI. There are quotation marks around "front-runner".

Here, everyone else just stick with the headline as is, since you understand. For you, I'll make a special headline so your sensibilities aren't offended.

"CNNSI has an article on its website that suggest the Texans are the front-runners to acquire Warrick Dunn once he is given his release from the Falcons. The article isn't actually saying that the Texans ARE the front-runners, but they are speculating as much. This needs to be made clear because normally I guess you assume that when someone puts CNNSI: in front of a statement, it implies that the statement, and all content within the statement - is the property and product of CNNSI, and not actually from the desk of Rick Smith or Gary Kubiak. With that in mind, please click the link and read the story so you can comment further and engage in discussion with other Texans fans about this subject."

Sorry - I didn't think there was enough room in the subject line for that. Next time I'll lay it out more clearly, so as to not be sensational.

aj.
03-03-2008, 04:38 AM
I heard Emmitt Smith wants to make a comeback. Or was that for dancing.... Maybe we can lure Terrell Davis back into the fold. Line up the wheelchairs -- Tom Petty and Rod Stewart (the South Park version) for halftime entertainment and we're on a roll baby.

If they sign Dunn that tells me they already know AG won't be able to go. If it's for some ridiculously low salary, then maybe ... I guess. I'd rather see a wily vet and a stable of young guys than a stable of old guys and a pup or two.

PapaL
03-03-2008, 06:14 AM
Fact - Dunn is a great person.
Fact - Our organization loves these type of guys.
Fact - Dunn has been a high calber RB for a LONG time

I would have loved to have him here about 5 years ago. He's a stand up type of guy that is never in the headlines for bad things. It's kind of like buying a used car; everything looks great. The exterior is nice and shiney, the interior looks great but when you turn it on and see the miles you winch.

Pantherstang84
03-03-2008, 07:16 AM
So I 've clicked the link and read the story. Therefore, I hope I'm qualified to comment. Here is my take...

The only significant news in the article is that Warrick Dunn asked for his release from the Falcons. Everything else including who might be the "front runner" or intersted is just a WAG.

I mean. Who is the league source?

The janitor @ NFL HQ or the author's brother in law who has won the family fantasy football league the last 3 years?

What happened to the days when the press just reported the news?

If the Texans do sign Dunn, then call the State Hospital because obviously the entire Texans FO has gone insane.

Silver Oak
03-03-2008, 07:49 AM
For the more WCO educated...

has any WCO team ever used a back like Dunn and lined him up in a slot position? I guess I'm just wondering if he could be useful in a Reggie Bush type role when Bush lines up out of the backfield.

PHAROAH
03-03-2008, 08:00 AM
Man this is a bad move IMO I want a young stud running back.

Lucky
03-03-2008, 08:25 AM
I think Tampa Bay (http://www.sptimes.com/2008/03/03/Bucs/Bucs_keep_Falcons_RB_.shtml) is the likely front runner for Dunn.

Dunn, 33, a running back who began his career with the Bucs, said at the Super Bowl in Phoenix last month that he would be receptive to finishing his career with the Bucs or the Colts.

Dunn was in Tampa on Saturday night attending the retirement party for Bucs fullback Mike Alstott. The event also was attended by Colts coach Tony Dungy and Bucs coach Jon Gruden.

Dunn, who had 3.2 yards a carry last season, could be the change-of-pace back the Bucs seek to complement Earnest Graham. The team re-signed Michael Bennett before the start of free agency.

Anytime a RB becomes available, the wags will link him to the Texans. Why? Take a look at the roster.

ATRAIN
03-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Us "eyeing" Dunn scares me in thinking we are not going to draft a RB :(.

Drew_Smoke
03-03-2008, 09:23 AM
I will take any decent player to camp that wants to make a run at it. Then let it all shake out from there.

Kaiser Toro
03-03-2008, 09:48 AM

Or Kubiak feels Darius Walker is one year away.

Hardcore Texan
03-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Wherever Dunn goes he will be a spot player, I wouldn't look for him to carry the load on any team at his age. That being said, if he is picked up very cheap by the Texans he still would have to make it through TC. I am not big on this move if it were to happen, but I trust if this is true the staff is considering him for added depth/insurance and a spot player.

If true, to me it would be an indicator that we will not draft an RB which is sad. I would rather have Allen Patrick in the 3rd round than Dunn. Got to trust the staff at this point.

Texans Horror
03-03-2008, 09:55 AM
So Dunn is a thousand-yard back with no injuries over the past four years? And he's familiar with the system? In what way is this detrimental to the Texans? AG was a tremendous flop. Cut one for the loss and sign the other. The running back position has to be fixed. The Texans must have a clock-eater for next season.

b0ng
03-03-2008, 10:01 AM

Weigh options as they come is more like it. They are just taking a look at everything for RB. I couldn't imagine us having huge holes at 3 spots, and us not at least draft one rookie for each spot. Even if it's in the 6th or 7th round, we'll probably still pick up an RB in the draft, I wouldn't see why not.

Don't forget, there's also the Smithiak favorite : The Undrafted Free Agent. I'm sure we're going to add more than just 1 RB this offseason. I wouldn't worry about Warrick Dunn unless we signed him for a big multi-year multi-million dollar contract.

tulexan
03-03-2008, 10:03 AM

Kubiak said that we are going to add a young RB who will be with the team for a long time. I think adding a guy like Warrick Dunn means that we will not draft a RB in the first round, but in the third. There's also no guarantee that Dayne is coming back, so he could be brought in to replace Dayne.

Hervoyel
03-03-2008, 10:10 AM
I think I'm going to say this about a hundred times between now and the start of the season.

Ron Dayne should enter 2008 as the starter. He will have the year of his career next season if the Texans do this. His backups should be the best of Ahman Green, Chris Taylor, Darius Walker, and whoever else we drag into camp.

I'm completely serious. If Dayne doesn't come through (which I seriously doubt will happen) then Ahman Green can come off the bench with something to prove and go to work. If he's too old then Taylor and Walker can handle it. I expect our line play to improve greatly with Alex Gibbs coaching them and Mike Sherman taking his side of our multiple-personality running game to A&M. We're going to be fine in 2008 with the current players. We won't be spectacular but we'll be fine. Dayne is our clock-eater.

We should NOT attempt to make any kind of upgrade to the backfield this year. The running back position can and should undergo a complete makeover in 2009 when Ahman Green retires and is no longer on our books. Next year we go for a young back when our line has a year of Gibbs system under their belt.

Texans Horror
03-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Every year the Texans free-agent a couple of lesser gods to cover their needs. No surprise that linebacker, cornerback, O-lineman, and running back would all be brought in/looked at. It allows the Texans the opportunity to take the best players available in the draft. Free-agenting doesn't necessarily mean the Texans will avoid the position in the draft, just that they are keeping their options open.

HoustonFrog
03-03-2008, 10:17 AM
I think I'm going to say this about a hundred times between now and the start of the season.

Ron Dayne should enter 2008 as the starter. He will have the year of his career next season if the Texans do this. His backups should be the best of Ahman Green, Chris Taylor, Darius Walker, and whoever else we drag into camp.

I'm completely serious. If Dayne doesn't come through (which I seriously doubt will happen) then Ahman Green can come off the bench with something to prove and go to work. If he's too old then Taylor and Walker can handle it. I expect our line play to improve greatly with Alex Gibbs coaching them and Mike Sherman taking his side of our multiple-personality running game to A&M. We're going to be fine in 2008 with the current players. We won't be spectacular but we'll be fine. Dayne is our clock-eater.

We should NOT attempt to make any kind of upgrade to the backfield this year. The running back position can and should undergo a complete makeover in 2009 when Ahman Green retires and is no longer on our books. Next year we go for a young back when our line has a year of Gibbs system under their belt.

I see where you are coming from Herv but I think we are missing the burst guy who can make the offense THAt much better and stop Schab from taking some mighty hits again.

As for Dunn, I'll say what I did in the Turner thread. The only thing I'd like about Dunn, despite his age, is that he still plays with that burst and is a small change of pace guy that knows the blocking...could be big in spells. He never gets injured. They have been saying he should retire for 3 years yet he keeps starting

swtbound07
03-03-2008, 10:17 AM

echoed. My only caveat would be that i could see a vet being signed if ahman green is physically unable to go. would not be suprised in the slightest to see the team go LT in the 3rd and FS in the first.

bah007
03-03-2008, 10:19 AM
So Dunn is a thousand-yard back with no injuries over the past four years? And he's familiar with the system? In what way is this detrimental to the Texans? AG was a tremendous flop. Cut one for the loss and sign the other. The running back position has to be fixed. The Texans must have a clock-eater for next season.

The problem is we cant just go around cutting people whenever we want.

There would be a cap penalty associated with cutting Green.

tulexan
03-03-2008, 10:25 AM

I disagree. We have to get a back in the first 3 rounds of the draft this year. This is arguably one of the best running back classes ever from top to bottom and we will regret not getting one if we pass on a running back this year.

HOU-TEX
03-03-2008, 10:28 AM

I was going to post why this is so ridiculous, but I doubt Dayne will be on the roster anyways.

Pfft! Dayne as a starter.......you really had me going there Herv. :gun:

Kaiser Toro
03-03-2008, 10:28 AM
If Dayne is our starting RB next year then we are not positioned for the playoffs the next two years. Frankly, he is pathetic.

b0ng
03-03-2008, 10:35 AM
I disagree. We have to get a back in the first 3 rounds of the draft this year. This is arguably one of the best running back classes ever from top to bottom and we will regret not getting one if we pass on a running back this year.

I agree, I think we should take advantage of an abnormally deep and strong running back class. I honestly think this years class will be better than next years, and even if we pick up a rook in the 6th or 7th, he can take a year to develop. I think Ahman Green or Ron Dayne go into week 1 as the starter.

RipTraxx
03-03-2008, 10:36 AM

And not just a normal penalty...a huge Casserly-type penalty.

Charlie.....i cant even watch the CBS pre games b/c he's on it. Watch ESPN then flip over for kick off. LOL

Ole Miss Texan
03-03-2008, 10:54 AM
If Dayne is our starter it means one of three things. (1) Somebody is injured forcing him to taking the starting role (2) We didn't significantly upgrade the RB position but instead focused on other areas of need, like OL or CB (3) Dayne has shown to be steady and actually has improved- and beat out all our other RB's old, newly drafted, etc.

Good chance Dayne doesn't come back. But for the right price I think he's just a solid player to have on our team. I have hopes Green will do better this year, the very limited time we saw him play, he seemed to provide such a spark.

I'm not against signing Dunn. I think if we can sign him with a role player's contract which is what he should be- it wouldn't cost too much. If he asks too much, let him go we don't need HIM. However, this guy fits a McNair player to the t. He would really fit in well as a texan, personality wise and off-field wise (philanthropy, citizen, etc). Everyone looks towards his age now. I think if he's not asked to carry the load but be a change of pace back, it would only help our backfield. He's a guy that knows excactly what Gibbs is trying to do so I can see us drafting a RB and having Dunn help the Rook and other players like Walker, Taylor or whoever is left. Seems we're more inclined to sign people familiar with the system and/or coaches*

*see past broncos, packers, and now seahawk players either signed or traded for. :)

I'm all for signing Dunn to fill a certain role, not to be our primary RB. At the end of the day he's another stop-gap RB but that's not all bad. We have to have our OL of the future before we have our 1, 2, or 3 RB's of the future.

Hervoyel
03-03-2008, 10:55 AM

I think "Sure it is" when I read that part I put in bold above. No offense of anything but I hear "Reggie Bush is the next Gayle Sayers" and "Robert Gallery is best LT prospect to come along in ten years".

Now, I'm not talking specifically to you when I write this so don't take offense please. I'm just addressing the idea that this is the best RB class ever from top to bottom.

They won't all work out. In fact most of them won't work out. What's more if there are as many as people say then some other backs are going to shake loose in the next year or two.

On one hand I think the hype about this class of running backs is getting kind of out of hand and on the other hand I say if it is true then get one in the 4th round if you must.

I'm not against picking one up that late but I think it's foolish to use our 1 or our 3 on him. We have needs that are greater right now. Year after year I talk about picking up a running back. I've been on a few RB bandwagons in recent years. I wanted Cedric Benson, DeAngelo Williams, and even Reggie Bush at one time. Look at what an ordinary backfield we would have right now if it was populated by that bunch of underachieving somewhat-inflated talents.

I'm not even against signing Dunn if he comes cheap enough. I just don't think we need to. We can get the same kind of average-to-good performance out of Ron Dayne and save our money to spend on other needs.

Hervoyel
03-03-2008, 11:17 AM
If Dayne is our starting RB next year then we are not positioned for the playoffs the next two years. Frankly, he is pathetic.

"Pathetic"? Don't you think you're being kind of hard on the fat man? All he's done is average over 4 yards a carry over the last two seasons while going through some turf toe in 2006 and then coming on as a reserve in 2007.

I want a kick-butt RB too just like everybody else and if we jump out there and get ourselves a back with the 1 I'm going to get behind that. It's not what I'd do but I'll support the decision. I just don't see the sense in signing Dunn. We did this last year with Green and we already had a better option on our team. 2007 proved that. Do we have to do it again? Old running backs suck. If we're going to go with an old running back then I vote for the fat man. He's got fewer miles on him than Green or Dunn.

If I'm Gary Kubiak I call Ron Dayne up and say "Do you want to be the guy here? Do you want 250-300 carries next year?" If he says yes then I sign him to a "Ron Dayne-like" contract with some added incentives and I tell him that if he doesn't show up to camp in the best shape of his life I'll cut him the first week. I'm serious about this crap. Show up ready to go or don't bother. Then I feed the fat man the football.

Everyone says that you can plug anybody into that Denver running game and they can get a thousand yards. Why doesn't this include Ron Dayne? He seemed to take to it when he went to Denver. His yards per carry went up when he got behind their line (like everybody's does). When he came here hurt and played in our hybrid system he dropped to a measily 4.1 ypc and 4.0 last season in relief.

I think if they feed him the ball then he eats clock like a madman. I think he has a late career burst in him if he wants to do it.

brickman
03-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Dont want him.....don't want him....don't want him. Haven't we learned our lesson with taking other teams castoff rb's?

tulexan
03-03-2008, 11:28 AM
I think "Sure it is" when I read that part I put in bold above. No offense of anything but I hear "Reggie Bush is the next Gayle Sayers" and "Robert Gallery is best LT prospect to come along in ten years".

Now, I'm not talking specifically to you when I write this so don't take offense please. I'm just addressing the idea that this is the best RB class ever from top to bottom.

They won't all work out. In fact most of them won't work out. What's more if there are as many as people say then some other backs are going to shake loose in the next year or two.

On one hand I think the hype about this class of running backs is getting kind of out of hand and on the other hand I say if it is true then get one in the 4th round if you must.

I'm not against picking one up that late but I think it's foolish to use our 1 or our 3 on him. We have needs that are greater right now. Year after year I talk about picking up a running back. I've been on a few RB bandwagons in recent years. I wanted Cedric Benson, DeAngelo Williams, and even Reggie Bush at one time. Look at what an ordinary backfield we would have right now if it was populated by that bunch of underachieving somewhat-inflated talents.

I'm not even against signing Dunn if he comes cheap enough. I just don't think we need to. We can get the same kind of average-to-good performance out of Ron Dayne and save our money to spend on other needs.

Obviously you can't know for sure what you are getting in the draft before they actually play a down in the NFL, but from a performance on the field and potential stand point, this is one of the deepest running back drafts in a long time. I'm not against keeping Dayne, but I'd like to have a running back who we can rely on to be available every week. The mix and match running back play is getting old and clearly isn't performing. We need to get a guy who we can stick in the position and not worry about it anymore for the next few years instead banking on guys who have little to no experience to be our savior (Chris Taylor).

HoustonFrog
03-03-2008, 11:37 AM
The problem I have with just using Dayne again and saying it worked before is it seems like you are "settling." Yeah, he averaged 4 yards a carry and you can plug in whomever in the Denver style offense but overall is he a guy that any defense really ever gameplans for...or is he a guy who will take the heat off and Schaub and make play action more effective?My answer is NO. With the depth of RBs in this draft we may not take one #1 but we can take one in the 3rd. I would love one with the #1. If it comes down to it I'd even trade backwards, pick up another pick and still use it on RB with the depth. We need someone whom the defense will respect. Right now I don't think that is happening and defenses will take their chances with the rest of the team and putting up their own points.

So back to Dunn. With what we have right now. If he is cheap and wants to be a burst guy for us, I have no problem with it.

tulexan
03-03-2008, 11:41 AM
The problem I have with just using Dayne again and saying it worked before is it seems like you are "settling." Yeah, he averaged 4 yards a carry and you can plug in whomever in the Denver style offense but overall is he a guy that any defense really ever gameplans for...or is he a guy who will take the heat off and Schaub and make play action more effective?My answer is NO. With the depth of RBs in this draft we may not take one #1 but we can take one in the 3rd. I would love one with the #1. If it comes down to it I'd even trade backwards, pick up another pick and still use it on RB with the depth. We need someone whom the defense will respect. Right now I don't think that is happening and defenses will take their chances with the rest of the team and putting up their own points.

So back to Dunn. With what we have right now. If he is cheap and wants to be a burst guy for us, I have no problem with it.

The other thing with the Denver system is do you want to just stick anyone in there and get 1000-1200 yards, or do you want a Clinton Portis back there and get 1500+ yards?

Ole Miss Texan
03-03-2008, 11:48 AM
The other thing with the Denver system is do you want to just stick anyone in there and get 1000-1200 yards, or do you want a Clinton Portis back there and get 1500+ yards?

I'm still waiting for the Denver system. Until we have that in place we ain't gonna be having a 1,000 + yard back. Not to mention our QB will still be getting hit.

With that said- I'd take a Clinton Portis type of back for 2 years getting those yards and then trade him for a Champ Bailey type CB. :)

michaelm
03-03-2008, 11:49 AM
I don't know how much clearer I can be, and I hope we don't have to derail this discussion further.

Do you see the subject line? Good.

Do you see the colon after CNNSI? Good.

That means what follows is from CNNSI... and what follows is the statement Texans "front-runner" for Warrick Dunn.

There is a colon after CNNSI. There are quotation marks around "front-runner".

Here, everyone else just stick with the headline as is, since you understand. For you, I'll make a special headline so your sensibilities aren't offended.

"CNNSI has an article on its website that suggest the Texans are the front-runners to acquire Warrick Dunn once he is given his release from the Falcons. The article isn't actually saying that the Texans ARE the front-runners, but they are speculating as much. This needs to be made clear because normally I guess you assume that when someone puts CNNSI: in front of a statement, it implies that the statement, and all content within the statement - is the property and product of CNNSI, and not actually from the desk of Rick Smith or Gary Kubiak. With that in mind, please click the link and read the story so you can comment further and engage in discussion with other Texans fans about this subject."

Sorry - I didn't think there was enough room in the subject line for that. Next time I'll lay it out more clearly, so as to not be sensational.

Dude, the quote below is directly from YOUR blog.
http://houstondiehards.com/?p=326

With the Falcons’ signing of Michael Turner, the Texans are, according to CNNSI, interested in signing Warrick Dunn once the Falcons grant his request to be released.

I get that you are attributing the information to CNNSI... The only problem is that the article never says the Texas ARE interested in signing Dunn. What the article says is:

A league source said several teams would have interest in Dunn, notably Houston, Dallas and Denver...

(and later)

Houston likely would be the front-runner...

You are stating that the article is saying flat-out that we are interested in signinig Dunn.

The article is saying that "a source" says we are one of several teams that would have interest in Dunn, and speculates that we would be the front runner based on the past relationship between Dunn and Gibbs.

I would hope that you can see the vast difference between what you are trying to put forward, and what was actually said in the article.

One writer is s-p-e-c-u-l-a-t-i-n-g.

Keith at Houston Pro Football had this to say about the article:
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/forums/showpost.php?p=113400&postcount=11

Please note that nowhere does it (at least yet) state that the Texans have any rumored interest in Dunn. Seems like calculated speculation by the writer and his "source"

I'm done now... done with arguing nuances that you are obviously missing, and also done with putting up with your condescension and name calling.

Now I'll let the nice folks here get back to thinking that we are chasing Dunn, based on your original post...

Errant Hothy
03-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Dunn's release is offical:
Falcons | Dunn released
Mon, 3 Mar 2008 08:22:22 -0800

Adam Caplan, reporting for Scout.com, reports the Atlanta Falcons have released RB Warrick Dunn.

I say no thanks to Dunn, with his age and carries being by bigest concern. Plus I don't hink he would be any better then any of the RBs on the roster currently.

With Turner signig in Atlanta, Norwood will be the next big, young FA RB to hit the marker.

PapaL
03-03-2008, 11:57 AM
With Turner signig in Atlanta, Norwood will be the next big, young FA RB to hit the marker.

Not any time soon. Those two are going to split carries.

Texans Horror
03-03-2008, 12:01 PM

Yeah, I hear you, and I agree. But IIRC, if Green is cut after June, his loss isn't much of a hit. I'll let one of the numbers experts pick that one apart. But if he's no huge loss, this is somewhere the Texans could make an immediate impact, the sort of move they need to take it to the next level.

However, all that being said, I see the Texans taking Dunn only for meager money, then drafting a back in April.

TexansSeminole
03-03-2008, 12:27 PM
I'd love Warrick Dunn. Durable, smart, and elusive running back. He also does a load of community service. He is known for putting single parents(not just single women) into homes.

TEXANRED
03-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I hear you, and I agree. But IIRC, if Green is cut after June, his loss isn't much of a hit. I'll let one of the numbers experts pick that one apart. But if he's no huge loss, this is somewhere the Texans could make an immediate impact, the sort of move they need to take it to the next level.

However, all that being said, I see the Texans taking Dunn only for meager money, then drafting a back in April.

Greens contract was front loaded but I think he was guaranteed 6 million so it shouldn't be to big of a cap hit if he gets cut. To bad too, getting Green was kinda like buying a car right after it went out of warranty. Oh well.

I can see us taking Stewart at 18 if he is there and taking a CB in the 3rd and having Reeves start the first half of the season. IMO CB and RB are equal in terms of importance for this team.

Dunn is done. The Texans are not that desperate at RB, Taylor/Walker/draft pick. Then you have to think they will go after UDFA like they have done the last two years.

What would get us an immediate splash would be getting a NT and a good WLB.

Second Honeymoon
03-03-2008, 01:50 PM

nice post, herv. i couldn't agree more. people are trying to fit square pegs into round holes around here on this board. let us see how the RB corps and OLineman do under Gibbs before we start spending huge FA $$ or high draft picks on an RB.

What did Walker do that was so horrible? He looked pretty damn good when he was given a shot, didn't he? Dayne nearly reached 1k yards in a RBBC role. A lot of the deficiencies in our running game were due to us playing from behind due to our lackluster defense. So how is getting some new RB going to help our defense?

At the end of the day, our defense is the facet that is in need of help and that feeling has been validated by the moves that Rick Smith has made to date this offseason. Once we improve our defense maybe we can go to a more ball control offense with more rushing attempts.

I wouldn't be upset if we got Dunn but only at the right price. I have confidence that RS isn't going to hit the panic button and think that drafting a RB in the 1st Round is going to help our team more than improving our defense. With Reeves added, we then spend our 1st Round on either Phillips or maybe an edge rusher that is dropping (Calais Campbell comes to mind) and we then improve our defense which is most in need of improvement. Until we can stop teams from converting on 3rd and Long, we will never be relevant in the NFL. It's all about the defense imho.

nunusguy
03-03-2008, 02:14 PM
If the price is right, I got no problem with this pickup. Even though he's well
into his 30s, he's still pretty dang quick and would be our version of a poor mans Reggie Bush, except maybe more versatilbe since in spite of his diminutive size hes had some success in running inside the tackles.

Specnatz
03-03-2008, 02:15 PM
The problem I have with keeping Dayne is how many times did he try and dance around when all the team needed was one freakin yard and he could not do that. I recall at least 4 times he failed to just run forward.

Now, am I sold on signing Dunn not really. I would rather look at some of the other RBs like Tatum Bell, Derrick Ward, or Maurice Hicks. I just want someone that will go forward versus backwards especially on those one yard runs.

Errant Hothy
03-03-2008, 02:44 PM
A note on Dunn:
According to NFL Network's Adam Schefter, Dunn plans to sign with a playoff contender. At least three teams already are eyeing him, including possibly Tampa Bay and Indianapolis. Dunn spent the first five seasons of his career playing for Tampa Bay, and his head coach with the Bucs was current Colts head coach Tony Dungy.

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/story?id=09000d5d807007f7&template=with-video&confirm=true

badboy
03-03-2008, 02:56 PM
If Green is released with the June 1st group, Texans save $3.8million. (I think this was given to me by Infantrycak). If Mendenhall or Stewart is @#18, it would be hard for me to see a possible franchise RB not selected. Either of these guys will be a ground pounder with take it to the end zone capability. You have to look at what is available in each round and can you fill a need later. Going with most mocks we've seen, there will be no franchise type LT at #18. Talib or Cason (CBs) may be there but neither are franchise type, but are probable 2008 starters. I give nod to Cason as being the most ready to start game one (although that will add pages to this thread). I think the J. Reeves signing will have most of us going nuts to see what Texans will do in draft for CB. If they feel he is the starter, this really opens up the draft even more. If CB is a concern in draft can you get a solid player later? IMO, yes.

Several will be there in 3rd round. If we go RB in first, we compare the next two most recognizable needs mentioned by Kubes. LT and CB. Is Salaam going to have another 2007 season where he out performed most everyone's expectations at LT? Lets look at LT in 3rd and 4th? In 3rd, Oneil (projected to guard by some), John Greco of Toledo (who?) and maybe Heath Benedict. In 4th, Benedict may drop, Duane Brown, and Tony Hills. Zuttah has been climbing & should be there 4th or 5th. He is 6'4" 303 lbs 4.99 (wow) and plays RT, OG & center. COuld Gibbs make a LT in new ZBS?

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=OT&draftyear=2008&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=CB&draftyear=2008&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

For me, you got to go with the franchise back in first round that also fills a need position. I will not be surprised to see Dayne back at a cheap deal. Taylor and Walker fight it out with at least one more RB in FA or undrafted FA.

You take your CB or LT in 3rd or 4th depending on how you see the players. Reeves can be the unknown for us.

Texans Horror
03-03-2008, 03:00 PM
That's how I think it'll turn out. I'd assume that Dunn is going to Indy or Tampa, two teams that have the Dunn connection and were in the play-offs last year. It would be nice, however, if he was in a Texas Bull uniform.

TexansSeminole
03-03-2008, 03:16 PM
If the price is right, I got no problem with this pickup. Even though he's well
into his 30s, he's still pretty dang quick and would be our version of a poor mans Reggie Bush, except maybe more versatilbe since in spite of his diminutive size hes had some success in running inside the tackles.

Dunn is nothing like Reggie Bush IMO. Two totally different backs.

This is not directed toward your post nunusguy:

Why do people feel that Dunn will be another Ahman Green? Just because he is over 30? Green was actually playing pretty damn well before his injury. Do we just assume that Dunn will get injured too? Dunn has been one of the most durable backs in the last 10 years. Some people need to get their facts straight.

Texans_Chick
03-03-2008, 03:24 PM

If Ron Freaking Dayne is the starter for next year, then we are in serious doodoo. I appreciate the effort he gives, but heck, I could catch him from behind and I have no wheels.

Dayne got injured the last game of 2006 during warmups for pete's sake.

He had some nice games last season, but near the end of the season kept having ankle issues.

If we go with Green (old, injured), Dayne (old, slow, oft injured), Walker (inexperienced), Taylor (inexperienced, coming off of injury) well then the Texans are in trouble. I understand the needs on the team are many, but that is a ridiculously weak group of running backs to have for your team.

This draft is going to have some good running backs in it. I'd like to order me up one. The Texans have shown flashes on offense but will not be good until the Texans get beyond placeholder running backs. They thought they could use Green for a couple of years, and they were wrong.

PapaL
03-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Am I the only one that would love to see TC chase down Dayne? That would be priceless.

TexansSeminole
03-03-2008, 03:28 PM
If Ron Freaking Dayne is the starter for next year, then we are in serious doodoo. I appreciate the effort he gives, but heck, I could catch him from behind and I have no wheels.

He had some nice games last season, but near the end of the season kept having ankle issues.

If we go with Green (old, injured), Dayne (old, slow, oft injured), Walker (inexperienced), Taylor (inexperienced, coming off of injury) well then the Texans are in trouble. I understand the needs on the team are many, but that is a ridiculously weak group of running backs to have for your team.

This draft is going to have some good running backs in it. I'd like to order me up one. The Texans have shown flashes on offense but will not be good until the Texans get beyond placeholder running backs. They thought they could use Green for a couple of years, and they were wrong.

Agreed. Not to mention the fact that he just falls over sometimes. Falls right into our own players legs. I have seen him do it so many times, and everytime I hope he isn't injuring our players. Luckily he hasn't injured very many. It sounds dumb, but him falling down onto our lineman really makes me want to bench him. That and the fact that he sucks.

badboy
03-03-2008, 03:43 PM

This draft is going to have some good running backs in it. I'd like to order me up one. The Texans have shown flashes on offense but will not be good until the Texans get beyond placeholder running backs. They thought they could use Green for a couple of years, and they were wrong.Well that sounds like a throw down challenge to me. I want to see TC chasing Dayne down the field with a package of Charmin and screaming "Doo-Doo!" That would bump Pitts and Salaam off the Super Bowl ad and Charmin would probably ante up.

swtbound07
03-03-2008, 03:44 PM
If we work on developing the system, and let gibbs work on the oline, then our backs will improve. Too many holes friends. This isn't the year that we can get a rb. can't afford to. We have no viable LT. We have NOBODY to play free safety. We get burned deep ALL the time. Do we not remember lee evans hitting us for twin 50+ yard td's? If we are truely drafting to beat the colts, we need Kenny Phillips in round one, and an LT in round 3. If we can get warrick dunn as a placeholder for a year or two, fantastic. This isn't the greatest rb draft ever. Didn't deangelo williams, joseph addai, reggie bush, and lawrence maroney all come out of the same draft? wasn't that class hyped as one of the deepest ever? We have holes. We need to fill them. We need to squeeze our RB's for one more year and finally address FS and the OLine.

hadaad
03-03-2008, 03:49 PM
If we work on developing the system, and let gibbs work on the oline, then our backs will improve. Too many holes friends. This isn't the year that we can get a rb. can't afford to. We have no viable LT. We have NOBODY to play free safety. We get burned deep ALL the time. Do we not remember lee evans hitting us for twin 50+ yard td's? If we are truely drafting to beat the colts, we need Kenny Phillips in round one, and an LT in round 3. If we can get warrick dunn as a placeholder for a year or two, fantastic. This isn't the greatest rb draft ever. Didn't deangelo williams, joseph addai, reggie bush, and lawrence maroney all come out of the same draft? wasn't that class hyped as one of the deepest ever? We have holes. We need to fill them. We need to squeeze our RB's for one more year and finally address FS and the OLine.

Agreed. However, there are a lot of free agents who could potentially be something in our system. Hicks, Ward and Moore to be more specific. I would like us to at least look at these guys.

The Pencil Neck
03-03-2008, 03:52 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5588112.html

Apparently, we ARE interested in Dunn... and we're NOT interested in Dayne!

TexansSeminole
03-03-2008, 03:55 PM

I really hope we get him. He's a smart runner. If there is a hole, he will find it. Unlike Dayne who just falls forward and gains 4 yards even if there is a wide gaping hole.

tulexan
03-03-2008, 03:58 PM

Pick up Dunn and draft a big guy like Forte in the 3rd. We will be in a much better situation than last year.

TEXANRED
03-03-2008, 03:59 PM
I just cant see Dunn playing in the same back field with Green. This is football not a Rolling Stones tour. If we do sign Dunn this spells the end for Green.

This is worse than that time I got a job as Michael Douglas' chin.

TEXANRED
03-03-2008, 04:00 PM
And as far as Dayne goes, somewhere in Houston there is a MacDonald's weeping.

TexansSeminole
03-03-2008, 04:04 PM
I just cant see Dunn playing in the same back field with Green. This is football not a Rolling Stones tour. If we do sign Dunn this spells the end for Green.

This is worse than that time I got a job as Michael Douglas' chin.

Sometimes it is better to have backs with good vision, rather than breakaway ability. This zone scheme is going to take a running back that can actually find and hit holes.

hadaad
03-03-2008, 04:05 PM
I would be happy to see Warrick Dunn in a Texans uniform. He's been consistently good forever. Sure, he's old, but he's dependable.

Lucky
03-03-2008, 04:09 PM
From the Chronic link above:

In three seasons (2004-06) with Gibbs, Dunn rushed for 1,106, 1,416 and 1,140 yards.Dunn was 29, 30, & 31 when he put up those numbers in Atlanta. Now, he's 33 years of age. 33 with nearly 3,000 touches in his career. It's absurd to think Dunn could put up those numbers for the Texans, now.

With apologies to the Bears, Lions, and Saints...the Texans have the worst RB corps in the NFL. Dunn won't change that. Neither would Dayne. The Texans had better be burning the midnight oil to find a RB in this draft. In whatever round.

badboy
03-03-2008, 04:20 PM
If we work on developing the system, and let gibbs work on the oline, then our backs will improve. Too many holes friends. This isn't the year that we can get a rb. can't afford to. We have no viable LT. We have NOBODY to play free safety. We get burned deep ALL the time. Do we not remember lee evans hitting us for twin 50+ yard td's? If we are truely drafting to beat the colts, we need Kenny Phillips in round one, and an LT in round 3. If we can get warrick dunn as a placeholder for a year or two, fantastic. This isn't the greatest rb draft ever. Didn't deangelo williams, joseph addai, reggie bush, and lawrence maroney all come out of the same draft? wasn't that class hyped as one of the deepest ever? We have holes. We need to fill them. We need to squeeze our RB's for one more year and finally address FS and the OLine.Phillips at#18 seems risky to me and Kubes has never pointed out safety as a position of concern. What do you think about drafting Darnell Terrell in 5th?
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=61433

MeLoveTexans
03-03-2008, 04:24 PM

If the latter is true... Somebody better break the news to John Mcclain. He's gonna be depressed he lost his buffet partner

Hervoyel
03-03-2008, 04:24 PM
I guess Warrick Dunn is this years old running back who's going to suddenly get young legs because he's now ours. Right about now everyone in here had better start praying that last years knee injury to Green was a fluke and that he has one more year left in him.

If we can just manage to somehow overpay for Dunn then the circle will be complete. You know the Texans are just biding their time until Shaun Alexander has enough miles on him to fall into the bargain bin. Just one or two more years and he'll be there!

It's like we're trying to collect these guys. I don't get it.

El Tejano
03-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Okay so you let go of Dayne. Then what? You have:
Ahman Green, Warrick Dunn, Rookie, and DW/CT.

That is a good backfield and if Ahman doesn't cut mustard, you should have no problem bringing up a guy like Chris Taylor to fit Ahman's shoes. The rookie should be the man though if you are getting Stewart or Mendenhall.

Lucky
03-03-2008, 04:28 PM
You know the Texans are just biding their time until Shaun Alexander has enough miles on him to fall into the bargain bin. Just one or two more years and he'll be there!
If the Seahawks find a RB in the draft, they might cut Alexander this offseason. Can someone determine the "Six degrees from Gibbs" linkage for Shaun?

badboy
03-03-2008, 04:31 PM
If the Seahawks find a RB in the draft, they might cut Alexander this offseason. Can someone determine the "Six degrees from Gibbs" linkage for Shaun?Did Alexander got to A&M or live in Texas? Where did he go to high school. Please hurrry this could be the next big thing.

SheTexan
03-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Are we EVER going to get past where the coach goes the player goes? Geeezzzzzz!

Nawzer
03-03-2008, 04:32 PM
I think if Warrick Dunn comes cheap then why not sign him? I'm certainly not under the illusion that he can be an every down back, but if he can be a solid backup then it's a good signing for us. The Texans haven't said much about Ahman Green and his situation so I'm assuming at this point that he will still remain our starter. I would love to have a young explosive back but I think this team has more pressing issues in the secondary and at the tackle position. If we can keep Green & Dunn healthy and an improved Darius Walker I think we'll be in good shape. I think there are plenty of good running back available in this draft and teams like Green Bay and the Giants have shown that you don't need to necessarily spend a first round pick on running back to have good production from that position.

El Tejano
03-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Plus W. Dunn scores TD and he has done it from the 1 yard line. We need guys that put the ball in the endzone. In the passing game think of what it does when Dunn splits wide. You know when Dayne goes wide, he aint even going to be looked at. Dunn opens up the middle in the passing game.

I also saw that Mwelde Moore is going to the Steelers.

D-ReK
03-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Dunn would be a good option if the price is right. He has good hands out of the backfield, is a surprisingly good short yardage back, and still has a little bit left in his tank. If he's willing to take the role and pay of a 3rd down back, then I'm all for it.

Double Barrel
03-03-2008, 04:47 PM
With apologies to the Bears, Lions, and Saints...the Texans have the worst RB corps in the NFL. Dunn won't change that. Neither would Dayne. The Texans had better be burning the midnight oil to find a RB in this draft. In whatever round.

Word.

As important as the running game is to Kubiak's game plans, it will be a bit of a letdown if all we end up with is aging RBs and castoffs.

If we can't consistently run the ball, it will be another long season for Schaub as defenses pin their ears back. We must establish a run game to be respected and provide a balanced offense. We won't stand a chance in the AFC South if we don't.

Lucky
03-03-2008, 04:48 PM
...teams like Green Bay and the Giants have shown that you don't need to necessarily spend a first round pick on running back to have good production from that position.
Not necessarily. But even the Packers and Giants would admit that they were very fortunate that those RBs came through. The Giants actually had both Brandon Jacobs and Ryan Grant as rookies in 2005. But, they weren't counting on either to produce for them. The G-men already had one of the top RBs in the league in Tiki Barber.

The Texans don't have a Tiki Barber. They need a RB that can produce now. Maybe they can find one in the mid-to-late rounds. Kubiak and Gibbs saw Terrell Davis come out of the 6th round and become one of the top backs in the league. That kind of stuff happens. But, do you plan for that to happen? If that's the Texans plan, we're likely to be disappointed this season.

Dallas_Texan
03-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Is Warrick Dunn scheduled to come see us? Is anyone for that matter?:thinking:

El Tejano
03-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Is Warrick Dunn scheduled to come see us? Is anyone for that matter?:thinking:
You beat me to this question.

Errant Hothy
03-03-2008, 05:08 PM

I found this to be a bit odd.

If the Texans sign Dunn, he will compete with with Ahman Green, Darius Walker, Chris Taylor and the rookie draft choice for playing time.

I know we are all assuming tha the Texans will draft an RB, but there is a chance we do not. McClain is making a fairly big assumption, IMO.

drewmar74
03-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Which would put us with 5 RB's going into the season?

Is that number normal?

GP
03-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Or Kubiak feels Darius Walker is one year away.

Because Kubiak knows his running backs so well.

Oops, I forgot that he very unceremoniously cut Darius Walker and had to bring him back.

And then there's that whole "Wali Lundy is going to be a star in this league for a long, long time...you can just see it in his eyes..." comment Kubiak made on TexansTv (on the official website). Oops.

Sorry to flame you, Kaiser, but you're seriously suggesting that Kubiak is smart enough to know if a running back in his system is going to hit a certain stride within a year or so?

Proof that the football gods hate Houston: We land a sleeper pick in Domanick Davis but he goes down forever with a freakish degenerative bone/cartilage disease. Justice is blind. Revolving RB ever since. And it won't change anytime soon.

This team is a black hole for the running game.

Hardcore Texan
03-03-2008, 05:18 PM

Oops, I forgot that he very unceremoniously cut Darius Walker and had to bring him back.

And then there's that whole "Wali Lundy is going to be a star in this league for a long, long time...you can just see it in his eyes..." comment Kubiak made on TexansTv (on the official website). Oops.

Sorry to flame you, Kaiser, but you're seriously suggesting that Kubiak is smart enough to know if a running back in his system is going to hit a certain stride within a year or so?

Proof that the football gods hate Houston: We land a sleeper pick in Domanick Davis but he goes down forever with a freakish degenerative bone/cartilage disease. Justice is blind. Revolving RB ever since. And it won't change anytime soon.

Wow, your just a bucket full of sunshine, aren't ya?

TexansSeminole
03-03-2008, 05:19 PM

If you aren't bashing Schaub, your bashing Kubiak. Why even follow the Texans anymore, and why on earth continue to post here?

Revolution
03-03-2008, 05:21 PM
If you aren't bashing Schaub, your bashing Kubiak. Why even follow the Texans anymore, and why on earth continue to post here?

It is one thing to be a realist, but this guy is downright depressed...

HOU-TEX
03-03-2008, 05:24 PM

I agree. After reading his/her posts for the past few days, I've decided to look into the ignore option.

Texans Pride
03-03-2008, 05:25 PM
I like what Dayne brings to the table, and feel it would be a mistake to let him go.

They need to figure out someway to keep him on the roster.

Silver Oak
03-03-2008, 05:26 PM

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/2996/bobbummernu4.jpg

DiehardChris
03-03-2008, 05:27 PM

From the stuff they said about Darius Walker when they first brought him in (bad practice habits, poor attitude, poor blocker) I would have cut him too. Walker is nothing special, yet. There's a solid chance he won't even make the team. Sure he had a couple of solid games, but I think people got WAY too hyper over him. He said all the right things, acted humble, thanked God for the second chance, etc - but I put a lot more into what was said about him RE: the habits and attitude than any of that lip service.

Our guys know what they're doing. If they want to bring in old guys on their last legs, that's just fine as long as they're also planning for the future, which they will be with a draft pick, or a young FA pickup.

TexansSeminole
03-03-2008, 05:30 PM
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/2996/bobbummernu4.jpg

"You're enjoying your day, everything's going your way...

"Always there to tell you about a new disease, a car accident, or killer bees"

Specnatz
03-03-2008, 05:32 PM

Your right Kubiak does not know a damn thing about RBs QB or aything else he needs to be fired and with all of your fast greatness of experience at evaluating talent should immediately be hired as the Texans Coach......... Nah on second thought you just love to complain to hear yourself flame this team.

A reporter ask Kubiak about a 3rd string RB on the team and what is it that you think he is supposed to say, well I am hoping he improves and gets over his fumbling problem cause he has vision but right now if it gets down to it we are FUBAR if he is starting.

Unceramoniously cut D. Wwalker? What was he supposed to do have a parade down Old Spanish trail announcing a non-drafted RB was cut? Walker was a nondrafted player who was signed and brought into camp for workout purposes and he was signed to the practice squad and because of injuries he was activated to the roster and because of other injuries he was waived so a QB could be signed and after more injuries he was brought back to the active roster, it is not like we cut a 3rd round pick because of poor drafting.

Please stop saying you are sorry for flaming anyone because that is all you have done over the last week. You have an agenda about this team and it is not one that is positive or helpful. I do not recall you posting at all during the season to voice your concerns over players and about moves the team made but you come here after the season to blast anything and everything, that just does not make any sense to me.

Brando
03-03-2008, 05:35 PM
It is one thing to be a realist, but this guy is downright depressed...

I think he likes to get people riled up, just stirring the pot. :twocents:

Texans_Chick
03-03-2008, 05:52 PM
I know people hate looking back to history to determine the present, but here goes.

Typically, Denver has not liked to start baby running backs early in the season, even if they are really talented.

So even if they draft running back, they are going to want an experienced guy on the roster.

The Texans relied too much on baby running backs at the start of 2006 because of the unanticipated DD/W problem, so they are not likely to want that to happen again.

In 2007, they had either old or young, and none in between.

Really, their options don't look great because they don't have anyone you could point to and say, he is going to be the starter for next year. Even if they draft someone, they won't want to start him immediately.

kiwitexansfan
03-03-2008, 05:59 PM
I like what Dayne brings to the table, and feel it would be a mistake to let him go.

I have to say Dayne has served us pretty well the last two years, we always try to go away from him but he keeps sucking us back in......

or maybe he has his own gravitational pull.

Ole Miss Texan
03-03-2008, 05:59 PM
From the stuff they said about Darius Walker when they first brought him in (bad practice habits, poor attitude, poor blocker) I would have cut him too. Walker is nothing special, yet. There's a solid chance he won't even make the team. Sure he had a couple of solid games, but I think people got WAY too hyper over him. He said all the right things, acted humble, thanked God for the second chance, etc - but I put a lot more into what was said about him RE: the habits and attitude than any of that lip service.

Our guys know what they're doing. If they want to bring in old guys on their last legs, that's just fine as long as they're also planning for the future, which they will be with a draft pick, or a young FA pickup.

Had to Rep ya on this one...

Walker was cut for a reason. He was devastated for leaving school early to not even get drafted. Kubiak had a real talk with him when he cut him and said some positive things to him but that he had to get his mind in the right shape, quit feeling sorry for himself and get on with his life. I put a lot of Walker coming back strong, trying to prove something, and doing fairly well in his rookie season... I put a lot of that on Kubiak. It really had to hit Walker hard right in the face, and he's said how lucky and greatful he is for a second chance. I think this guy is a fighter and just needed to feel the bottom (staring unemployment in the face) to really succeed... he knows he doesn't want to be there again. I don't think he'd be the same if that had not of happened, but that's speculation on my part.

TEXANRED
03-03-2008, 06:09 PM

Let me spread some cheer for you GP. There are all kinds of bright spots for this team.

QB - Is a strength, if Schaub goes down Sage steps in with out skipping a beat.
OL - Is a strength. Studdard, and Frye are young developing OL, Brizel was a nice surprise, now that Pitts is out of Sherman's power game hopefully he goes back to being the player he was before, Winston would be all pro if he didn't play RT, Salaam is solid and did a pretty good job considering who he went up against last year.
WR - Is a strength, AJ, AD, Walters, Jones, Anderson. That is a solid core of players.
TE - Is a strength. OD, Bruener, and Dressen.
RB - Not as bad as one would think. If Taylor didn't get hurt last year we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Walker has some good upside if he learns how to take on blockers and blitzers.
IIRC our offense finished 9th last year.
Got rid of Sherman, picked up Gibbs and Kubiak should be more involved in calling plays this. There is plenty to be excited about.

Defense, different story.

We have half a DLine, Half a secondary, and 1/3 of a LB core. Hopefully Diles is able to step up this year and lives up to the hype that we have been hearing.

We did get Ray Rodes which is a positive. I cant remember where I read it but there was talks that the Texans will run more of a cover 2 this year, and if that is true Bullware should be able to resurrect his career. Again, IIRC, Bullware played his best game with Rodes as his coach.

DRob will play next year. Write it down. Its his contract year and if he is not proving to the Texans that he is the same DRob then he is auditioning for another team. So at some point next year expect to see Bennett, DROb, Reeves, Draft pick, playing in our secondary. Maybe then we can slow the Colts and Jags down.

But all is not lost. Good OLB's are not high round picks, nor are centers or NT's.

If I were GM, and there are probably reasons I am not, I would go RB, CB, and then on the second day PBA for Centers, LB's, DL, and more Secondary help. Then hit the UDFA market for another RB to bring into camp. With a deep class you know there is going to be some good talent not drafted.

Or trade down and go OL, RB, CB, same plan for second day picks.

This is the crucial third year draft. They have done a heck of a job stocking some talent on this team and if they dont muck it up we are going to be a heckofa team next year.:thisbig:

hadaad
03-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Had to Rep ya on this one...

Walker was cut for a reason. He was devastated for leaving school early to not even get drafted. Kubiak had a real talk with him when he cut him and said some positive things to him but that he had to get his mind in the right shape, quit feeling sorry for himself and get on with his life. I put a lot of Walker coming back strong, trying to prove something, and doing fairly well in his rookie season... I put a lot of that on Kubiak. It really had to hit Walker hard right in the face, and he's said how lucky and greatful he is for a second chance. I think this guy is a fighter and just needed to feel the bottom (staring unemployment in the face) to really succeed... he knows he doesn't want to be there again. I don't think he'd be the same if that had not of happened, but that's speculation on my part.

I feel the same way. Everything's so easy in college for these guys. Look at Tyrone Wheatley. He came out and was terrible for the Giants. Then he got his pink slip and he did well in Oakland. It's nice that we could short-circuit that process for Walker, if that's what really happened, and I hope he's with us for a long time. Think if Matt Jones had gotten the same pep-talk from Jack Del Rio. (although, he probably would have wounded himself with that axe, too.)

Malloy
03-03-2008, 06:17 PM
And as far as Dayne goes, somewhere in Houston there is a MacDonald's weeping.

I'll miss Dayne.

TEXANS84
03-03-2008, 06:31 PM
I'll miss Dayne.

Watch Dayne land in Pittsburgh. Book it.

Revolution
03-03-2008, 06:51 PM
I think he likes to get people riled up, just stirring the pot. :twocents:

I think there are deeper issues. Any angry Veggie Tales fan, eh?

He looks like a Duchamp, doesn't he?

Specnatz
03-03-2008, 07:03 PM

Mewelde Moore has signed a 3 year deal with Pittsburgh so I doubt it.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/transactions

tulexan
03-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Mewelde Moore has signed a 3 year deal with Pittsburgh so I doubt it.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/transactions

Mewelde got a pretty low contract too. I'd prefer him over Warrick Dunn.

Malloy
03-03-2008, 07:13 PM

They are sticking to public transportation. The bus, the train. I like it :)

hadaad
03-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Mewelde got a pretty low contract too. I'd prefer him over Warrick Dunn.

I wouldn't mind having both of them. Dunn, Moore, Taylor and Walker. Sounds pretty smooth to me.

GP
03-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Your right Kubiak does not know a damn thing about RBs QB or aything else he needs to be fired and with all of your fast greatness of experience at evaluating talent should immediately be hired as the Texans Coach......... Nah on second thought you just love to complain to hear yourself flame this team.

A reporter ask Kubiak about a 3rd string RB on the team and what is it that you think he is supposed to say, well I am hoping he improves and gets over his fumbling problem cause he has vision but right now if it gets down to it we are FUBAR if he is starting.

Unceramoniously cut D. Wwalker? What was he supposed to do have a parade down Old Spanish trail announcing a non-drafted RB was cut? Walker was a nondrafted player who was signed and brought into camp for workout purposes and he was signed to the practice squad and because of injuries he was activated to the roster and because of other injuries he was waived so a QB could be signed and after more injuries he was brought back to the active roster, it is not like we cut a 3rd round pick because of poor drafting.

Please stop saying you are sorry for flaming anyone because that is all you have done over the last week. You have an agenda about this team and it is not one that is positive or helpful. I do not recall you posting at all during the season to voice your concerns over players and about moves the team made but you come here after the season to blast anything and everything, that just does not make any sense to me.

I like this team. I just don't have time to find silver linings for everything.

My major gripes are this:

1. The puzzle of not having a good QB. We need a long-term guy, and I'm sorry but I don't think Schaub is it.

2. D-coord and the whole attitude of our defense. DeMeco needs quality help (better LBs) alongside him at LB. DBs got a little better, but our d-coord still just saps whatever progress we might be able to make.

3. Crappy running backs, and the fact that people are fond of Ron Dayne. This is a sore spot for me because we need a r-e-a-l running back. Being jobbed on the Ahman Green deal was something I predicted and got flamed for when I predicted it on that glorious night where so many posters just knew this was the beginning of something special for us. Sheesh....

Here's my positives:

1. Mario and Okoye seemed to be producing pretty well for a couple of young guys who weren't given much chance by the media.

2. Special teams. Marciano has his unit playing LIGHTS OUT. We are recovering onside kicks, returning punts and kickoffs for TDs, Kris Brown was clutch and even won a game on his leg alone with a great one-game performance, and our coverage skills are pretty doggone good.

3. Kubiak and Rick Smith have at least brought this team into a state of normalcy for the first time in our history. I like Rick Smith a lot more than I do Kubiak. I think Rick Smith is worthy of his pay. Kubiak worries me due to scripted plays on the opening drive which work well and then pretty much a re-hash of the same plays all game long, with no real adjustment at the half. I'm OK with Kubiak, but not sure he's a Bill Cowher-type of coach who brings years of winning despite whatever happens on the team. Still, he and the GM are a lot better than the previous yahoos.

4. Our oline is better than non-Texans fans realize. I think we can get stronger in this area. In fact, I think it's easier for us to get stronger in this area than in the area of running back. I don't foresee us being able to grab a great RB. But oline is getting better even with what he had to work with.

5. Best fans, regardless of the mud slinging.

aj.
03-03-2008, 08:06 PM
I know people hate looking back to history to determine the present, but here goes.

Typically, Denver has not liked to start baby running backs early in the season, even if they are really talented.

If you're talking history then I'm not sure I agree. Denver threw the keys to TD who started 14 games as a 23 year old rook in '95 (6th rounder). They did the same with Portis who started 12 games as a 21 year old rook in '02 (2nd rounder). When TD was hurt in '99 they didn't hesitate to start a 24 year old rook named Olandis Gary (4th rounder).

Of course once TD and Portis got established, then no one else got a chance. I'm probably missing your point -- if what you are calling 'babies' means young RBs.

Texans_Chick
03-03-2008, 09:20 PM
If you're talking history then I'm not sure I agree. Denver threw the keys to TD who started 14 games as a 23 year old rook in '95 (6th rounder). They did the same with Portis who started 12 games as a 21 year old rook in '02 (2nd rounder). When TD was hurt in '99 they didn't hesitate to start a 24 year old rook named Olandis Gary (4th rounder).

Of course once TD and Portis got established, then no one else got a chance. I'm probably missing your point -- if what you are calling 'babies' means young RBs.

My point is that the Broncos don't like to start their young RBs if you prefer that term. The early starts of all those players were not be design. It was not the team's original intentions.

With TD, it was a matter of luck and happenstance. He almost didn't make that team out of camp.

With Portis, they had no other options because of players hurt ahead of him. They were reluctant to start him because they felt he danced too much.

And Gary was another injury start.

I don't believe we have a bust out back in waiting on our roster. And I don't think we have a reliable veteran on there either. Our running back roster is like the island of misfit toys.

aj.
03-03-2008, 09:37 PM
The early starts of all those players were not be design. It was not the team's original intentions.

I have no idea what the Broncos coaching staff was thinking back then or what their design concepts and intentions were or whether they liked doing what they did. I wasn't there. All I know is they started and stayed with three rooks that did pretty well, be it design, happenstance, circumstance, pure luck or full moon, and they did it at least three times in the 90's and early '00's and it worked out pretty well.

I don't think many teams 'like' to start rookies or otherwise inexperienced players in the backfield, so I don't think Denver is all that unique. But despite teams' apprehension or plans in many cases once the young guy gets his chance it's even harder to take him out of the lineup, even if he's not a high first rounder type.

bckey
03-04-2008, 02:51 AM
Please don't sign Dunn. That would be 2 running back mistakes in 2 years. We don't need anymore old running backs.

I'm still scratching my head about signing an unproven cb to a $20 million contract. Overall Rick Smith has done a good job find players to fill in but Green was a big mistake. We probably overpaid for Shaub also. But I am glad we got him and dumped Carr.

aj.
03-04-2008, 07:17 AM
I'm still scratching my head about signing an unproven cb to a $20 million contract. .

Obviously they think he proved something starting 13 games on a 13-3 team (albeit as an injury replacement). It's also apparent they think he has the physical skills and that he's young enough to be coached up in a scheme that's not a 3-4 where the corners play off the receiver. It's also not 20 million. Look at the guaranteed money, when its paid and the term, not the agent's ego figure.

I'm with you on Dunn only from the standpoint that I fear another multi-year deal for an aging player. In hindsight, Dunn would have been a lot nicer pickup than AG last year. Signing two over the hill RBs in two years when one still has three years remaining on his deal and is scheduled to count 5 mill on the cap this year is what I would be scratching my head about if it happens.

BattleRedToro
03-04-2008, 07:40 AM
Our running back roster is like the island of misfit toys.

In that case, Ahman Green must be the Train with Square Wheels.

Kaiser Toro
03-04-2008, 08:06 AM

At least it had a happy ending, we do have that going for us.

Pantherstang84
03-04-2008, 12:14 PM

Who is Charlie in the Box?

ATRAIN
03-04-2008, 12:32 PM
I read that Dunn wants to go to the Cowgirls as his first choice.

badboy
03-04-2008, 12:36 PM
A Mendenhall or Stewart and perhaps even Forte will be much better than what we have on roster imo (baby backs or not). Texans have not had that type RB on roster though DD may have been in there somewhere. I do not think RB is a position where much experience is needed unless it is maybe blocking or holding onto the ball. After high school and 3-4 years college a guy can run or not. Yes, adjustments can be made but the position is not like a LT or QB learning. We have not had a Denver offense in two years and will not this year.

Yankee_In_TX
03-04-2008, 12:51 PM

Especially after I bought that darned WI helmet and got denied his autograph 3 times. IT WILL BE SIGNED.

eriadoc
03-04-2008, 12:54 PM

Just to add to your examples - Quentin Griffin. It didn't work out over the long haul, but they started the season with him, giving him the load.

badboy
03-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Especially after I bought that darned WI helmet and got denied his autograph 3 times. IT WILL BE SIGNED.You just may have to follow him to another city to get the sig.

michaelm
03-04-2008, 01:00 PM
You just may have to follow him to another city to get the sig.

That's the optimistic view...

The pessimistic view is that he will catch on with another team as a #3 back, get promoted to starter through injuries just prior to playing the Texans, then go off on us for a buck-fifty and a couple of touch downs...

Koolaid Time
03-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Who is Charlie in the Box?

Who has the least playing time?.. "because nobody wants to play with a Charlie in the Box".....

http://www.rankinbass.com/images/charlieinthebox.jpg

Koolaid Time
03-04-2008, 01:18 PM

Rep to you.....

http://www.misfittoys.net/train.gif

badboy
03-04-2008, 01:32 PM
That's the optimistic view...

The pessimistic view is that he will catch on with another team as a #3 back, get promoted to starter through injuries just prior to playing the Texans, then go off on us for a buck-fifty and a couple of touch downs...Nah. We are going to sign a fat boy DT that will stop Dayne in his tracks and cause him to fall on his starting LT putting the O lineman out for two years. Thereby creating the best off season move Houston has ever had.

TexansSeminole
03-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Nah. We are going to sign a fat boy DT that will stop Dayne in his tracks and cause him to fall on his starting LT putting the O lineman out for two years. Thereby creating the best off season move Houston has ever had.

That's actually more likely than you may think.

badboy
03-04-2008, 02:00 PM
That's actually more likely than you may think.Just remember where you heard it first.

CloakNNNdagger
03-04-2008, 02:37 PM
The problem I have with keeping Dayne is how many times did he try and dance around when all the team needed was one freakin yard and he could not do that. I recall at least 4 times he failed to just run forward.
Now, am I sold on signing Dunn not really. I would rather look at some of the other RBs like Tatum Bell, Derrick Ward, or Maurice Hicks. I just want someone that will go forward versus backwards especially on those one yard runs.

If Dayne did that this upcoming season, Gibbs would arrange for putting him on IR after having me contract Guido to break his knee caps, so that we could call up some other RB to the active roster.:gun:

El Tejano
03-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Dunn can get 1 yard. Did anyone see the game when he played against us. He got 3rd and 1 quite a bit.

BattleRedRaider
03-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Dunn can get 1 yard. Did anyone see the game when he played against us. He got 3rd and 1 quite a bit.

That seems useless. It's often a bunch of "3rd and long" situations. If he can convert those all by himself, go get him.

Specnatz
03-04-2008, 05:56 PM
That seems useless. It's often a bunch of "3rd and long" situations. If he can convert those all by himself, go get him.

Did you watch Dayne trying to get 1 yard this past season?

BattleRedRaider
03-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Did you watch Dayne trying to get 1 yard this past season?

He could only gain one yard the entire season? :heh:

ATXtexanfan
03-04-2008, 06:10 PM
is dayne under contract?

CloakNNNdagger
03-04-2008, 06:14 PM
is dayne under contract?

Unrestricted Free Agent

Double Barrel
03-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Here's my positives:

5. Best fans, regardless of the mud slinging.

If you consider late arriving, early leaving, no shows, front-runners, and uneducated casual fans who make noise for our offense on the field as "best fans"...well, it's your take!

This isn't mud, but rather fact-slinging. The majority of Houston's sports fan are a disappointment. JMO

:offtopic sorry about that!

Texan_Bill
03-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Especially after I bought that darned WI helmet and got denied his autograph 3 times. IT WILL BE SIGNED.

Pffft. That's nothing. I've got a helmet story to tell you - that very few people (other than Marcie, She, Harry and some other folks from another board) know about.... :gun:

tulexan
03-04-2008, 06:30 PM
If you consider late arriving, early leaving, no shows, front-runners, and uneducated casual fans who make noise for our offense on the field as "best fans"...well, it's your take!

This isn't mud, but rather fact-slinging. The majority of Houston's sports fan are a disappointment. JMO

:offtopic sorry about that!

Yeah, Houston has far from the best fans. They are actually probably some of the worst in terms of commitment to all of the teams.

ATXtexanfan
03-04-2008, 06:39 PM
i drive down from leander,tx (north east of austin) to the games and never see a full house, yet the stadium is sold out, there's no parking passes available except in the maroon lot, yet the lots are never full, what gives? I do might part in the austin area by buying 4 season tix and bringing anyone who wants to see a game (p.s. i usually make sure there is a designated driver)

HoustonFrog
03-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Yeah, Houston has far from the best fans. They are actually probably some of the worst in terms of commitment to all of the teams.

...and knowledge. Maybe it is just the ones with the time to call but listening to sports talk with what we have is bad enough...listening to it and hearing calls from people who think Hakeem can take Yao's spot, etc, etc is mind numbing.

Specnatz
03-04-2008, 06:51 PM
He could only gain one yard the entire season? :heh:

I was referring to short yardage situations in which he flat out http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o195/Specnatz/sign-sucks.gif

ATXtexanfan
03-04-2008, 06:54 PM
...and knowledge. Maybe it is just the ones with the time to call but listening to sports talk with what we have is bad enough...listening to it and hearing calls from people who think Hakeem can take Yao's spot, etc, etc is mind numbing.

yeah, i find that quite amusing, i can pick up 610 in the austin area from time to time and the callers are down right absurd

Texan_Bill
03-04-2008, 07:03 PM

I've heard that too. In fact I've joked about that as well. But I hope you really didn't think folks are or were being serious. Anytime you have a HOFer like Hakeem people are going to bring it up. I'm pretty sure that if Kobe went down in LA, people would say let's get Magic or Worthy. It's because thats what they (ex-players) know and they are who brought that franchise some greatness.

To the other points about not being committed and are unkowledgable; I think many people in their criticism(s) forget that Houston has an extremely large population of transplants.

The majority of folks that I tailgate with and / or sit with are committed, passionate and knowledgable about Houston Sports teams (okay, save the Comets). We are even lucky enough to have some transplants that fall in to this category.

NitroGSXR
03-04-2008, 07:12 PM
I guess it's a good thing that I'm Deaf. Some things are simply just better left unheard.

Actually, I'm impressed with the knowledge of the general Houston fan but then again, I don't listen to radio stations so I don't know but pretty much the casual fans that I know appear to be well versed and motivated to soak in any knowledge there is out there. Especially after meeting Cowboy fans.

aj.
03-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Probably never a front runner ... doesn't matter now anyway ... Dunn signed with the Bucs per Schefter.

TheRealJoker
03-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Probably never a front runner ... doesn't matter now anyway ... Dunn signed with the Bucs per Schefter.

Did we even bring him in for a visit? Its like the nat'l media pulls names out of a hat when naming teams that are interested in a player sometimes.

BigTimeTexanFan
03-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Did we even bring him in for a visit? Its like the nat'l media pulls names out of a hat when naming teams that are interested in a player sometimes.

Kinda like the Texans being interested in Pac Man because we are looking for a corner.

edo783
03-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Kinda like the Texans being interested in Pac Man because we are looking for a corner.

Exactly.

DiehardChris
03-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Per PFT:

Itís a two-year, $6 million deal, and it pays $2 million in guaranteed money. Dunn is scheduled to earn $3 million in the first year of the deal.

Um... yeah - no thanks. The Bucs have a very strange RB situation.

nero THE zero
03-10-2008, 10:30 PM
I'd easily give him that money.

We're obviously drafting a back because if we go into the season with Green, Taylor, and Walker we might as well not even play the games.

Wolf
03-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Per PFT:

Um... yeah - no thanks. The Bucs have a very strange RB situation.
add QB to that too

DiehardChris
03-10-2008, 10:37 PM
add QB to that too

LOL no doubt. Way more strange, in fact.

gg no re
03-10-2008, 11:14 PM
If you had to build a team of all RBs or all QBs, which one would you go with and how would you build that team?