PDA

View Full Version : Dead Money

Texans_Chick
03-02-2008, 09:21 AM
For those who think the Texans need to be spending more in free agency, check out the just released cap numbers (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/reuben_frank/03/01/cap.figures/1.html).

And unfortunately, everyone in division has more money to play with.

Tailgate
03-02-2008, 09:26 AM
So is it next year then when all this work chipping away at our cap and not spending it on big names,etc.... starts to pay off?

GP
03-02-2008, 09:36 AM
For those who think the Texans need to be spending more in free agency, check out the just released cap numbers (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/reuben_frank/03/01/cap.figures/1.html).

LOL.

Who was it around here who was trying to infuse us with the idea that we had all this money to play with this offseason?

We will suck. Again.

It's just our way of helping to keep the world spinning on its axis. Our way of keeping the universe balanced. We're assuming our position within the food chain: Bottom feeders.

(Sigh)

We better have one of those drafts that the media analysts point back to about 5 years from now and say "Remember that amazing draft of 2008 where the Texans selected _________ and ___________ and __________ and __________ and ____________? It's as if they found every great player at every round!"

Tailgate
03-02-2008, 09:39 AM
LOL.

Who was it around here who was trying to infuse us with the idea that we had all this money to play with this offseason?

We will suck. Again.

It's just our way of helping to keep the world spinning on its axis. Our way of keeping the universe balanced. We're assuming our position within the food chain: Bottom feeders.

(Sigh)

We better have one of those drafts that the media analysts point back to about 5 years from now and say "Remember that amazing draft of 2008 where the Texans selected _________ and ___________ and __________ and __________ and ____________? It's as if they found every great player at every round!"

Why will we automatically suck because we arent going out and getting big name free agents? Heck, we went .500 LAST YEAR while basically leading the league in IR visits and missing AJ for like half the season. Getting healthy alone should make us stronger next year.

Brando
03-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Why will we automatically suck because we arent going out and getting big name free agents? Heck, we went .500 LAST YEAR while basically leading the league in IR visits and missing AJ for like half the season. Getting healthy alone should make us stronger next year.

Exactly. They're trying to correct a salary cap problem that Casserly left behind. It won't be corrected until next year. I think the Texans started off by re-signing one of their own FA's, Andre Davis. Look at all the money thrown at big name free agents last year, many didn't work out. I think we can build through the draft and pick up 2nd tier FA's to feel needs. The Colts are doing it that way and it I think they are doing pretty good. I don't see them signing big name free agents.

Draft smart, that is the way you become a good team. Simple as that.

I think Rick Smith knows what he is doing.

Specnatz
03-02-2008, 11:43 AM
LOL.

We will suck. Again.

(Sigh)

I am just wondering are you sure you are a Texans fan? Because you are the most pessemistic person on this board at the moment. As far as the media saying anything just look at what the media said about Mario and now look at al of them media people having to back peddle and try and ask for forgiveness, well frankly all the ones who said Mario would suck can now kiss my ass in front of Macey's window during their one day sale.

ObsiWan
03-02-2008, 11:50 AM

So according to this article, our Cap number is $114 million. This is how much we can spend, right? So how much are we already contractually obligated for?

According to this estimate
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap2008.html
we're 33-34 mil under the cap (they used $116 mil as the base number, I've adjusted using the $114 mil base number); is that anywhere near close to correct?

dtran04
03-02-2008, 11:50 AM
I'm curious as to who the complainers want the Texans to sign. Funny thing is if they signed Asante, people would be like, "Another Casserly move. Overpaid him." I think some people just like complaining. It's the nature of a message board. There's a reason why there are more posts when the Texans lose than when they win.

DiehardChris
03-02-2008, 11:53 AM
I'm A-OK with us not going after big names. That's just not how you fix a team. We've been over the examples, so that's not necessary. Big name, and not-so-big name FA's are getting RIDICULOUS money this year, and those other teams can have'em. Faneca, Berrian, Stallworth - look at the stupid contracts they got. If that's what 'being a player' in free agency is - I don't want to be there, even if we can afford it.

The thing that bothers me about this free agency period so far is that we're losing good depth players on defense. Anderson and Hutchins, while not GREAT players, were good depth at both positions, especially Hutchins... and he signed for next to nothing in Atlanta.

I like the idea that once our cap is fixed, we can go after MAYBE one big to mid-tier name a year, then fill out with young depth and wait for the draft. So far, The Smithiak has given us no reason not to trust them.

ChampionTexan
03-02-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm curious as to who the complainers want the Texans to sign. Funny thing is if they signed Asante, people would be like, "Another Casserly move. Overpaid him." I think some people just like complaining. It's the nature of a message board. There's a reason why there are more posts when the Texans lose than when they win.

Just consider the source(s).

hot pickle
03-02-2008, 12:05 PM
i just wish we could get rid of anthony weaver somehow.. and maybe get a draft pick for him.. they should of went threw with the greg wesley for weaver trade last season...

Lucky
03-02-2008, 12:06 PM

I don't think this has anything to do with "dead money", or bonus money from released players still on the books...directly. This list has to do with the likely-to-be-earned incentive bonuses cap trick.

The Texans haven't had the extra cap room to write these incentives into contracts, because they've had to carry the unallocated bonus money of players like Carr, Walker, Wade, etc. And that's why they are upside down on this particular cap adjustment. They've actually had to pay some earned incentives, and haven't earned as much from the cap trick.

From the HPF salary cap sheet (linked above), the Texans are carrying over $6.5 million in dead money in 2008. But, a lot of teams are carrying that much dead money. What the Texans likely want to do is not spend to the cap this year, write some of these likely-to-be-earned incentive bonuses into contracts, and receive the positive cap adjustment next year. Some fans may scream that the Texans aren't spending to the cap, and being cheap. The probability is that Rick Smith is attempting to set the Texans up to become major players in the next, and hopefully deeper, free agent class.

brickman
03-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Exactly. They're trying to correct a salary cap problem that Casserly left behind. It won't be corrected until next year. I think the Texans started off by re-signing one of their own FA's, Andre Davis. Look at all the money thrown at big name free agents last year, many didn't work out. I think we can build through the draft and pick up 2nd tier FA's to feel needs. The Colts are doing it that way and it I think they are doing pretty good. I don't see them signing big name free agents.

Draft smart, that is the way you become a good team. Simple as that.

I think Rick Smith knows what he is doing.

BINGO!!!!! M Shadows...... you are right on. This is how to build a powerhouse for the future. Not many free agent signings in the end result make that much difference in a team's record. You draft for the future and fill a few gaps with moderate or low priced free agents. As an example... how do the Redskins doing every year with big spender Danny Boy Snyder?

alphajoker
03-02-2008, 01:05 PM
LOL.

We will suck. Again.

(Sigh)

IMO, we already are having amazing drafts...just look back at the 2006 draft class were the Texans selected Williams and Ryans and Winston and Spencer (if he can get healthy) and Daniels. And then by the end of next year you'll be hearing the analyst's talk about the 2007 draft class where the Texans selected Okoye and Jones and Bennett. This regime is building through the draft, like they should be doing and I have faith that they will continue to draft quality players again in 2008.

:fans:

TexansSeminole
03-02-2008, 01:06 PM
LOL.

We will suck. Again.

(Sigh)

You are rediculous.

Goldensilence
03-02-2008, 01:27 PM
I don't think this has anything to do with "dead money", or bonus money from released players still on the books...directly. This list has to do with the likely-to-be-earned incentive bonuses cap trick.

The Texans haven't had the extra cap room to write these incentives into contracts, because they've had to carry the unallocated bonus money of players like Carr, Walker, Wade, etc. And that's why they are upside down on this particular cap adjustment. They've actually had to pay some earned incentives, and haven't earned as much from the cap trick.

From the HPF salary cap sheet (linked above), the Texans are carrying over $6.5 million in dead money in 2008. But, a lot of teams are carrying that much dead money. What the Texans likely want to do is not spend to the cap this year, write some of these likely-to-be-earned incentive bonuses into contracts, and receive the positive cap adjustment next year. Some fans may scream that the Texans aren't spending to the cap, and being cheap. The probability is that Rick Smith is attempting to set the Texans up to become major players in the next, and hopefully deeper, free agent class.

This should be required reading reguarding this off-season and cap issues.

Texans_Chick
03-02-2008, 01:38 PM

Good point.

I realized the header of the post was misleading right after I hit the post button but figured it wasn't worth changing.

Texans_Chick
03-02-2008, 01:40 PM
LOL.

We will suck. Again.

(Sigh)

Huh?

You are pessimistic because we didn't overpay for any number of free agents? Some of these numbers out there are crazy.

Texanmike02
03-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Because you are the most pessemistic person on this board at the moment.

Wow, I must be losing my touch in my old age.

Mike

Specnatz
03-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Wow, I must be losing my touch in my old age.

Mike

HAHA ......... That made me laugh.

ArlingtonTexan
03-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Huh?

You are pessimistic because we didn't overpay for any number of free agents? Some of these numbers out there are crazy.

Reading through some other threads, there are several who share the sentiment. I think it has more to do wanting to see some action versus really giving a care that the Texans have a long-term game plan that they are trying to execute.

GP
03-02-2008, 02:27 PM
I am just wondering are you sure you are a Texans fan? Because you are the most pessemistic person on this board at the moment. As far as the media saying anything just look at what the media said about Mario and now look at al of them media people having to back peddle and try and ask for forgiveness, well frankly all the ones who said Mario would suck can now kiss my ass in front of Macey's window during their one day sale.

No, I'm just not going to play as if we're OK and things are fine.

There is no room for error, in the draft, when you go two straights years without 2nd round picks because you've speculated on a backup QB.

Throw in our perpetual quicksand quagmire known as Texans Free Agency Moves...and it means that we cannot afford any more Ahman Greens in free agency nor Jason Babin deals in the draft.

Sorry if my posts tend to be skeptical or pessimistic.

Anybody here wonder how it is that Marciano can get his unit playing lights-out ball (recovering onside kicks, running punts and kickoffs back for TDs, great coverage skills, etc.) and yet the entire rest of our team looks so inconsistent week after week? I have found myself watching Texans games just for the special teams' effort.

(Sigh)

Go Texans! And I mean that, as much as people might not think I do.

Honoring Earl 34
03-02-2008, 02:57 PM

There is no room for error, in the draft, when you go two straights years without 2nd round picks because you've speculated on a backup QB.

Throw in our perpetual quicksand quagmire known as Texans Free Agency Moves...and it means that we cannot afford any more Ahman Greens in free agency nor Jason Babin deals in the draft.

Anybody here wonder how it is that Marciano can get his unit playing lights-out ball (recovering onside kicks, running punts and kickoffs back for TDs, great coverage skills, etc.) and yet the entire rest of our team looks so inconsistent week after week? I have found myself watching Texans games just for the special teams' effort.

(Sigh)

You always pay the piper when QBs are involved ... that's just the way it is . Tony Romo a 3rd year undrafted FA one week a multi-millionaire the next .

I think free agents are a luxury for an already established team . If you try to build through it you way overpay and get a player who's looking for a big payday .

The Teaxans got in their current situation by making poor personel decisions from 2002-2005 . Bad drafting , bad trading and over paying average players will make you like todays 49ers .

Overalls
03-02-2008, 07:20 PM
The thing that bothers me about this free agency period so far is that we're losing good depth players on defense. Anderson and Hutchins, while not GREAT players, were good depth at both positions, especially Hutchins... and he signed for next to nothing in Atlanta.

While we won't know how the pick ups turned out till the games are played, we have replaced theses players with Reeves and Brantley. Am I dancing with joy over these signings, no, but they are decent depth pick ups.

b0ng
03-02-2008, 07:26 PM
How about I go over to the Texans boards and see what's going on.

(Sigh)

Business as usual it appears. I'm glad that before the draft has happened, and we're roughly about 100 hours into Free Agency it is now apparent that we are going to be way worse than any other team in the NFL this next year. Give away your season tickets and burn your mario gear, we're going back to the cellar folks.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

TexansSeminole
03-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Bunch of wah-wah crying.

DiehardChris
03-03-2008, 02:23 AM
How about I go over to the Texans boards and see what's going on.

Business as usual it appears. I'm glad that before the draft has happened, and we're roughly about 100 hours into Free Agency it is now apparent that we are going to be way worse than any other team in the NFL this next year. Give away your season tickets and burn your mario gear, we're going back to the cellar folks.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

LOL and rep.

So true, and you KNOW it's going to get so much worse.