PDA

View Full Version : Reeves is Signed!

dalemurphy
03-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Details aren't up yet, but the story has been posted on Chron.com... Also, according to McCain, we are currently working on Hadnot's contract with his agent.

ATXtexanfan
03-01-2008, 02:48 PM
wasn't high on this at first but i welcome him and hope for the best

ChampionTexan
03-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Don't have a problem with it, but I still hope that Rick and Gary are open to a CB with the 18th pick if the right guy's still there.

dalemurphy
03-01-2008, 02:55 PM
wasn't high on this at first but i welcome him and hope for the best

I thought he was good last year. Remember, Cowboy fans also swear that Roy Williams is a better safety than Ronnie Lott was. I've actually had that argument with a couple of them. So, when they rip a player, take it with a grain of salt.

One of the posters posted his stats from the year. If I recall, he gave up 7 TDs and a completion % of 56.6... At 25 years old, I'll take those numbers and hope for some steady improvement.

bah007
03-01-2008, 03:05 PM
I thought he was good last year. Remember, Cowboy fans also swear that Roy Williams is a better safety than Ronnie Lott was. I've actually had that argument with a couple of them. So, when they rip a player, take it with a grain of salt.

One of the posters posted his stats from the year. If I recall, he gave up 7 TDs and a completion % of 56.6... At 25 years old, I'll take those numbers and hope for some steady improvement.

I'm a Cowboys fan. And if I even heard my best friend say that, I would punch him in the face, cuz he obviously needs something rearranged up there.

Maybe you heard that five years ago, when he was actually good.

alphajoker
03-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Good to hear! We need the depth and competition in the secondary.

Thorn
03-01-2008, 03:11 PM
This guy seems average to better than average, so that would actually be an improvement in a few areas, if for no other reason that debth.

rollinstone18
03-01-2008, 03:14 PM
If I remember correctly, dude got beat numerous times in the NYG playoff game. I trust he's better than Petey though, so it's a decent signing imo.

edo783
03-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Looks like a depth pick IMO.

LORK 88
03-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Decent depth, for some reason I keep wanting to say Reeves will be a combination of Buchannon and Faggins, but we'll see what happens. I'm more excited about trying to get Hadnot, he can add some real talent to our line, especially with Gibbs to coach him up.

Errant Hothy
03-01-2008, 03:23 PM
He's probablly a notch or two better then Faggins (which makes him several notches better then Fletcher), but I'm not sold on the idea of him starting opposite Bennett at the start of the season.

I'm withholding total judgement till I see the contract numbers.

Maddict5
03-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Texans signed CB Jacques Reeves.

We've heard some positive comments on Reeves, which is surprising. His numbers suggest he was one of the most picked-on corners in the league. Houston badly needs depth with Dunta Robinson hurt, but they should hope Reeves has a small role.
Source: Houston Chronicle

wonder how much we paid? jags gave drayton florence 12m in GARUNTEES

Errant Hothy
03-01-2008, 04:00 PM
wonder how much we paid? jags gave drayton florence 12m in GARUNTEES

Reeves better be getting less then that.

scourge
03-01-2008, 04:06 PM
I am not happy at all with this signing. I hope we are still looking at cb at #18. This guy is nickel caliber material, at best.

nero THE zero
03-01-2008, 04:07 PM

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=854665&postcount=24

I don't mind the signing so long as it is not all we're doing at the spot. Preferably we bring in a veteran and draft someone early in the draft and let them duke it out for the spot opposite Bennett. Ideally he would be our nickelback but we might have to stomach him starting until Dunta gets back.

TheRealJoker
03-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Looks like Hutchins replacement.

kiwitexansfan
03-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Playing opposite Newman will get you picked on some because they aren't going after Newman.

It seems a decent addition, especially if Dunta comes back at 100% (eventually).

TheRealJoker
03-01-2008, 04:14 PM
I talked to a Cowboy fan today, he said that he doesn't want Reeves back but thinks he can be decent with a change of scenery.

bah007
03-01-2008, 04:17 PM
I talked to a Cowboy fan today, he said that he doesn't want Reeves back but thinks he can be decent with a change of scenery.

Dallas is expected to adress CB in the 1st anyway, so it makes sense that the newcomer would at least play the nickel for them.

Rex King
03-01-2008, 04:18 PM

Wish he were Petey's replacement instead. If Reeves were in addition to re-signing Von I'd be a lot happier.

03-01-2008, 05:20 PM
i hear this guy gets burned A LOT. ugh.

mexican_texan
03-01-2008, 05:43 PM
There's no guarantee Reeves makes it past TC.

Hardcore Texan
03-01-2008, 06:13 PM

Sorry you had to go throught that.

Can't wait to see how Reeves stacks up in TC, hopefully the Smithiak brings in a lot more competition.

TexanAddict
03-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Texans sign CB Reeves to ease needs in secondary
Free-agent pickup from Dallas comes to team with 5-year, $20 million package

By JOHN McCLAIN
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

The Texans have agreed to a contract with Dallas Cowboys cornerback Jacques Reeves, who was an unrestricted free agent. His five-year deal is worth $20 milllion.

Reeves, who started 13 games in four seasons with the Cowboys, visited with the Texans on Friday and attended the Rockets' victory over Memphis with general manager Rick Smith.

Smith reached the agreement with agent Brian Hamilton today.

At 5-11, 188 pounds, the 25-year-old Reeves is the veteran cornerback the Texans targeted. They're still going to draft a cornerback, maybe two, and they might sign another veteran.

After agreeing with Reeves, Smith turned his attention to Miami guard Rex Hadnot, who also visited Friday. Smith has been negotiating with Hadnot's agent, Brian Overstreet, in an attempt to get the deal done before the center leaves for other visits.

john.mcclain@chron.com
chron.com (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5584364.html)

Here's his deal as reported by the Chron. Hope his bonus wasn't too big.

LonerATO
03-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Like Scourage and 281 I think this was a bad signing if he is to be a Nickel guy I would have rather had Gay

03-01-2008, 06:28 PM
4 years 20 million!? :elle:

man, there's no way this guy gets cut. not liking this signing at ALL.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-01-2008, 06:29 PM
I think his contract guarantees he will make it past training camp. lol

bah007
03-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Like I posted a little while ago in a different thread...

Starting with the Clements signing, CBs are about to start getting PAID.

There is a high demand for the position, even just for depth.

03-01-2008, 06:38 PM
I think his contract guarantees he will make it past training camp. lol

it smells like starter money to me... rank, if you ask me.

The1ApplePie
03-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Every year, we wait for the "Big Free Agent Signing" we are promised, and its always somebody like Weaver, Green, or Reeves!

Thorn
03-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Every year, we wait for the "Big Free Agent Signing" we are promised, and its always somebody like Weaver, Green, or Reeves!

A lot of money for someone who isn't really "star" quality. Maybe the Texans see something in him others don't. But from what I've read this guy is just another Joe Backfield.

LonerATO
03-01-2008, 06:48 PM
I would rather have Green siting on the benching looking good of the cameras every game then watching our team throw money to a guy that is going to get burned. I am so tired of other teams cast offs, its not like this guy was anygood in the first place. Look at other FA's right now and they are not being signed back to their team because the kind of cheddar they want

walkingmydogma
03-01-2008, 06:50 PM
[QUOTE=The1ApplePie;855729]Every year, we wait for the "Big Free Agent Signing" we are promised, and its always somebody like Weaver, Green, or Reeves![/QUOTE

I don't recall Smith or Kubiak promising a "Big Free Agent" signing for this year.IIRC,they specifically said they would be looking for mid-level guys this year.Can't remember last year though.

mexican_texan
03-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Wow, big thumbs down from me. That money should've gone to Von Hutchins instead.

DocBar
03-01-2008, 06:57 PM
I saw the link on the Comical website, but it's gone now. I wonder what that means. It said a 20 mil deal on the headline but not how many years.

ObsiWan
03-01-2008, 06:58 PM
There's no guarantee Reeves makes it past TC.

Precisely. Either this guy makes the team and shows promise or he don't get paid. I saw nothing in the write-up about "guaranteed money".

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-01-2008, 06:58 PM
I saw the link on the Comical website, but it's gone now. I wonder what that means. It said a 20 mil deal on the headline but not how many years.

5 years

steds
03-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Didn't mind this signing before, tbh. I'm not a fan but I just thought it's worth seeing if we can get anything out of him. That's an huge amount of money for a guy in Reeves' position though. Looks like a poor deal.

HoustonFrog
03-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Considering my background..Cowboy.. I'll say what I said in the thread yesterday. The guy has some games where you are really impressed.....maybe some breaks on the ball, some tackles, etc. But he did fold down the stretch and was giving up plays. I watched him pretty closely throughout the season.

Overall he is secondary help and depth..not someone to hang a star on unless he becomes more consistent.

bah007
03-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Haven't seen any numbers for guaranteed money yet.

A lot of people making a big deal about the $20 million, but remember that is not guaranteed money.

He only gets that much if he plays out the whole contract.

Errant Hothy
03-01-2008, 07:13 PM

I don't recall Smith or Kubiak promising a "Big Free Agent" signing for this year.IIRC,they specifically said they would be looking for mid-level guys this year.Can't remember last year though.

Exactly, in fact Rick Smith specifically said that we would not be singing a "Big Free Agent". It's your fault if you didn't believe him.

03-01-2008, 07:17 PM

5 yrs.

Maddict5
03-01-2008, 07:20 PM
guys look at the other contracts going around.. reeves doesnt seem too bad at all

and applepie, actually they promised they (FO) wouldnt be big splashers in FA... but whatever suits your agenda

Errant Hothy
03-01-2008, 07:22 PM
guys look at the other contracts going around.. reeves doesnt seem too bad at all

and applepie, actually they promised they (FO) wouldnt be big splashers in FA... but whatever suits your agenda

I agree, this is about half of what Clements and Samuel got. 5 years 20 mil, it all depends on structure and boneses; but on the surface it looks to be a reseaonable deal.

The kid did start on a 13 win team last year, spending some of that time as the #1 CB.

ObsiWan
03-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Wow, big thumbs down from me. That money should've gone to Von Hutchins instead.

The question is: Did we offer that kind of money to Hutchins or Demps only to have those guys decide to turn the offer down so they could "test the waters" because they figured they could do better.

I'm thinking yes we did, but the truth is that we'll never really know the answer to that question.

The1ApplePie
03-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Exactly, in fact Rick Smith specifically said that we would not be singing a "Big Free Agent". It's your fault if you didn't believe him.

We get promised playmakers every year, and get a bunch of crap through FA. Great drafts, horrible free agency.

Errant Hothy
03-01-2008, 07:29 PM
We get promised playmakers every year, and get a bunch of crap through FA. Great drafts, horrible free agency.

You find the quote where Rick Smith said we would go after the bid name free agents this year, and get back to me when you fint it...I'll wait.

Specnatz
03-01-2008, 07:30 PM
5 years $20 mil but no listing of what the guaranteed money is. that is the important part about any contract that is signed in the NFL.

ObsiWan
03-01-2008, 07:31 PM
The 49ers had a "great" F/A season last year and they still sucked. I'd rather save our money to sign good draft picks.

Errant Hothy
03-01-2008, 07:39 PM
The 49ers had a "great" F/A season last year and they still sucked. I'd rather save our money to sign good draft picks.

The 49ers are rapidly becoming the new Redskins.

Maddict5
03-01-2008, 07:48 PM

f'in liar

stop making up crap.. they say they try and find 'some of the less heralded FA's' (actual quote from mcnair im pretty sure) and find a starter or guy that'll contribute

kiwitexansfan
03-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Can I join the chorus of those saying that the FO has clearly stated it is going to build from within through the draft and just bring in contributers via FA but not break the bank.

Hottoddie
03-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Here's a little blurb from one of the writers at DallasCowboys.com that might give us a little insight into what the staff sees in this kid. It was written before the Pro Bowl. Very interesting.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?editorialAuthor=2&id=FBE8BA87-B6C0-1DBC-54B6B0C8E585D986&page=2&endPoints=4350%2C8697%2C9312

But that's a decision for down the road. The Cowboys have two other cornerbacks that are unrestricted free agents in Jacques Reeves and Nate Jones.

Raise your hand if anyone actually thought both of those seventh-round picks in 2004 would make it four years with the team? Not me, I know that.

I think both of them will get the chance to test the free-agent market. Jones is a solid special teams player, but the more years he keeps playing, the harder it is to justify keeping a veteran role player and possibly stunt the progress of a young defensive back.

As for Reeves, his market value might be surprising to some. While he gave up a few big plays late in the season, he was better than you think. And teams will take a chance on a guy who can run. Speed still sells in this league and Reeves has it.

Look for him to get a deal somewhere, and it may end up being here in Dallas.

And if the Cowboys are going to get a free-agent cornerback, that's the type of player I would expect them to sign. Someone in the category of Reeves, which means maybe it would just make sense to re-sign him.

J-Russ
03-01-2008, 08:17 PM
POSITIVES: Tough, hard-working corner best in zone coverage. Physical, likes to mix it up and displays suddenness to his game. Plants and quickly breaks on the ball. Willing run defender.

NEGATIVES: Lacks the quick fluid back pedal, slow transitioning back to make a play on the pass and lacks downfield speed. Lacks timing and usually a half step behind.

ANALYSIS: A competitive, tough defender, Reeves had difficulty playing backed off the line of scrimmage at Purdue and is better facing the quarterback in a zone defense. Should get looks in camp next summer as a dime back and special teams player.

PROJECTION: Undrafted Free Agent

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/46329.html

Thorn
03-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Great drafts, horrible free agency.

I'm gonna agree with this.

ATXtexanfan
03-01-2008, 08:23 PM
we ran a lot of zone defense last year so this looks like a good fit

Maddict5
03-01-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm gonna agree with this.

weaver, black and green were bad

but we also got AD, Demps, Hutchins, Sage, Kevin Walter (RFA), salaam, maddox, clark......all made solid contributions for us.. not bad at all

plus flanagan and putz have contributed

Thorn
03-01-2008, 08:34 PM

but we also got AD, Demps, Hutchins, Sage, Kevin Walter (RFA), salaam, maddox, clark......all made solid contributions for us.. not bad at all

If nothing else, AD would negate my argument.

ATXtexanfan
03-01-2008, 08:53 PM

this is true

dtran04
03-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Any big splashy signings the Texans have made have flopped terribly. I'm not sure why people want to go that route. You build through the draft, that's what I like about this regime. They really don't miss on picks.

J-Russ
03-01-2008, 09:01 PM
After thinking about this for a while and reading an article on him recently, I'm starting to think it wouldn't be such a bad idea to re-sign him as a third or fourth CB (assuming we draft one in the first or second round).

Here's my thinking......

He started 13 games last year and gained valuable experience. He was often lined up against #1 WR's such as Moss and Burress. He would be much better in the slot against 3rd WR's.

He may be the fastest player on the team. He was the Big 10 sprint champ while at Purdue. You can't teach speed.

He's an excellent tackler. Only one receiver was able to break one of his tackles last year. Once he wraps up, they're going down.

He only committed two penalties all year for a total of 19 yards.

Quarterbacks threw at him 122 times last year. They completed 56.6% of their passes for an average of 12.8 yards per catch. He only allowed 7 TD's all year (though it seemed like more). In comparison, Dre Bly was thrown at 87 times, and QB's completed 56.3% of their passes for a 15 yard average and 10 TD's.

I'm not saying to sign him to be a starter or to break the bank for him. But he might be someone to consider since good CB's are hard to find. Just a thought.....

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=200385

Btw, Reeves ran a 4.62 in the 40. Don't know what made this guy think that he might've been the "fastest player" on the cowboys.

bah007
03-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Dre Bly has always been overrated because of his ability to make plays on the ball.

.....like DeAngelo Hall.

nero THE zero
03-01-2008, 09:24 PM
we ran a lot of zone defense last year so this looks like a good fit

I think this is extremely important and has been generally overlooked so far.

Richard Smith has been known to run his fair share or zone. Ray Rhodes was brought in and is known for his zone scheme. Think what you will of Reeves, but if nothing else this signing shows that our defense is starting to develop an identity, something that people have been yearning for. Now that's not to say that the zone scheme is something that I want, but from adding Ray Rhodes to signing Jacques Reeves all signs point to a zone scheme in our defense's future.

I think this also has implications for what type of corner we will be picking up in the draft. Who are some corners who excel in zone coverage? Aqib Talib? Tracy Porter? Leodis McKelvin?

I also think Fred Bennett is a fit for this system and that might be why we picked him last year. He might not be the most physical reviever in coverage but it seems like nearly all of his picks last season came on plays where he seemingly came out of nowhere to pick the ball off of its path, the type of play you want from your DBs in zone coverage. From what I've read Reeves offers the same type of skill set.

Here's to hoping he exels in our system under Hoke and Rhode's tutelage.

whiskeyrbl
03-01-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm not sure about this move but I will gives Kubes and Smith the benefit of the doubt. They know what they are looking for.

DocBar
03-01-2008, 09:34 PM
we ran a lot of zone defense last year so this looks like a good fit We ran a lot of zone because we lacked the talent to do much else. I don't think this is such a great deal at the price we had to pay. Maybe it'll turn out OK, but I doubt it. This move only makes the draft waters muddier for me. I would rather us spend our 1st rounder on a potential pro bowler thatn spend big $$$ in FA on a potential Petey Jr.

Errant Hothy
03-01-2008, 09:36 PM
We ran a lot of zone because we lacked the talent to do much else. I don't think this is such a great deal at the price we had to pay. Maybe it'll turn out OK, but I doubt it. This move only makes the draft waters muddier for me. I would rather us spend our 1st rounder on a potential pro bowler thatn spend big $$$ in FA on a potential Petey Jr.

How do you know it is big money? You deen the contract details, and know how much is quarenteed?

kiwitexansfan
03-01-2008, 09:37 PM
I think the fact he is a physical run defender by reputation helps too.

They obviously value physical corners, just look at Dunta.

If you get Robinson, Reeves and Bennett in the Nickel you have a pretty good run stoppind defense too which is important against the teams we match up with.

CloakNNNdagger
03-01-2008, 09:47 PM

Richard Smith has been known to run his fair share or zone. Ray Rhodes was brought in and is known for his zone scheme. Think what you will of Reeves, but if nothing else this signing shows that our defense is starting to develop an identity, something that people have been yearning for. Now that's not to say that the zone scheme is something that I want, but from adding Ray Rhodes to signing Jacques Reeves all signs point to a zone scheme in our defense's future.

I think this also has implications for what type of corner we will be picking up in the draft. Who are some corners who excel in zone coverage? Aqib Talib? Tracy Porter? Leodis McKelvin?

I also think Fred Bennett is a fit for this system and that might be why we picked him last year. He might not be the most physical reviever in coverage but it seems like nearly all of his picks last season came on plays where he seemingly came out of nowhere to pick the ball off of its path, the type of play you want from your DBs in zone coverage. From what I've read Reeves offers the same type of skill set.

He, indeed, did cover #1 and #2 WRs. His main criticism was that he routinely played off the recievers by about 10 ft, and still gave up his average of almost 13 yds. The feeling is that he needs to be in a system where there is a good rush so that he is not running after his prey for more than a couple of seconds.

RipTraxx
03-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Can ANYONE TELL ME WHY IN THE NAME OF (CURSE) did we give an EXTREMELY AVERAGE CORNER 20 MILLION?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

i know he's not getting the full 20 but still. COME ON.

Dumb signings like this will make the run for 'burner' Turner even MORE difficult due to cap space.

Silver Oak
03-01-2008, 09:50 PM
I got this off a Cowboys blog. Although there were many posters with nothing good to say about Reeves, these two were positive.

"I'm a little suprised by nearly everyone's comments about reeves. It is hard to forget the last minute of the first half of the playoff game, however he played decent all year. There were multipe games where all you would hear from the announcers on the first series was "so and so are going to go after reeves all game" ahh yeah how often did that work! The only regualr season game that he didnt play well in and the cowboys lost was N.E. Now Im not saying the cowboys can't use a upgrade at cb especially in the draft but to say reeves is no better than a 4th corner just isn't true. I havent heard of a team finishing 13-3 thats had a 4th corner start 13 games."

"His weaknesses wouldn't be as exposed if both Newman and Henry didn't struggle with injuries. He was serviceable. He did get beat. But he also held his own at times. Many teams don't have 2 good CB's. So he would be an upgrade somewhere."

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/02/jacques-reeves-a-busy-man.html

Thorn
03-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Can ANYONE TELL ME WHY IN THE NAME OF (CURSE) did we give an EXTREMELY AVERAGE CORNER 20 MILLION?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Dumb signings like this will make the run for 'burner' Turner even MORE difficult due to cap space.

He's slightly better than average, which helps us. Keep buying those tickets, we need the money.

Errant Hothy
03-01-2008, 09:52 PM

THe declared value of the contract is meaningless, it's the guaranteed amount that matters more then anything else; and we have yet to hear how much money is guaranteed in the contract. So simmer down.

Secondly, Turner was never coming here to begin with. Smith said no big name free agents and that means no Turner. Even if we had wanted to sign him, Atlanta is gong to pull out a big wad of cash and more then likely overpay for his services.

beerlover
03-01-2008, 09:58 PM

good call :respect:

RipTraxx
03-01-2008, 10:02 PM
THe declared value of the contract is meaningless, it's the guaranteed amount that matters more then anything else; and we have yet to hear how much money is guaranteed in the contract. So simmer down.

Secondly, Turner was never coming here to begin with. Smith said no big name free agents and that means no Turner. Even if we had wanted to sign him, Atlanta is gong to pull out a big wad of cash and more then likely overpay for his services.

Agree to disagree......i heard differently. Rick can SAY a lot of stuff just to throw people off, just like he isnt talking about the draft.

They could throw BOATLOADS of cash but Burner would have to decide if the money was really worth going to a team with no identity, no QB, and a brand new coach w/ an unproven system..........The exact opposite here.

b0ng
03-01-2008, 10:04 PM
EDIT: Beaten.
I don't know, after reading about the 8m gauranteed I'm starting to have slight misgivings here. I don't think this is as bad as Anthony Weaver or Morlon Greenwood, but it could be.

Hopefully this guy's experience will benefit us and the change of scenery will benefit him (hopeless optimism)

RipTraxx
03-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Oh the HORROR.

Should've kept Hutchins at least he was versatile.

At least w/ him you know what you're getting...versus the unproven.

michaelm
03-01-2008, 10:30 PM
EDIT: Beaten.
I don't know, after reading about the 8m gauranteed I'm starting to have slight misgivings here. I don't think this is as bad as Anthony Weaver or Morlon Greenwood, but it could be.

Hopefully this guy's experience will benefit us and the change of scenery will benefit him (hopeless optimism)

I still haven't seen anything about guaranteed $$$. You have a link?

b0ng
03-01-2008, 10:36 PM
I still haven't seen anything about guaranteed $$$. You have a link?

EDIT: I"m a dumbass here you go (http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/03/reeves-deal-details.html).

8m garunteed.

ATXtexanfan
03-01-2008, 10:49 PM

turner isn't going to shut down peyton, the offense was fine minus the turnovers, dont forget that jax has upgraded at wr, we need db's, we dont have a gamebreaker at rb but we have a stable of rb's

ObsiWan
03-01-2008, 10:55 PM
EDIT: I"m a dumbass here you go (http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/03/reeves-deal-details.html).

8m garunteed.

That was speculation...
did you notice that the blogger said "...it is believed that 8 mil was guaranteed"
That Dallas blogger has no more clue than we do on what the contract actually says.

b0ng
03-01-2008, 11:01 PM
That was speculation...
did you notice that the blogger said "...it is believed that 8 mil was guaranteed"
That Dallas blogger has no more clue than we do on what the contract actually says.

You're right, however, speculation is all we have to go on at this point. With the contracts that Florence and Samuel signed, I don't think his contract is that far out of this world anymore, although I still don't know as much about this guy as I should.

RipTraxx
03-01-2008, 11:01 PM
turner isn't going to shut down peyton, the offense was fine minus the turnovers, dont forget that jax has upgraded at wr, we need db's, we dont have a gamebreaker at rb but we have a stable of rb's

Running the ball effectively keeps Peyton off the field. With dayne gone and ahman being....well ahman, it doesnt look good. Maybe everyone has more faith in ahman then i do, but im stickin to my guns on this one.

b0ng
03-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Running the ball effectively keeps Peyton off the field. With dayne gone and ahman being....well ahman, it doesnt look good. Maybe everyone has more faith in ahman then i do, but im stickin to my guns on this one.

I hate to break this to you, but I don't think the Houston Texans are going to make any sort of serious run at Michael the Burner Turner. Whether we plan on getting one in the draft, or getting a FA running back, I don't think turner is the guy. I'm imagining that he'll be the highest paid FA running back this offseason, and I honestly don't think they are going to throw their hat into that ring a second season in a row.

Also, it's only been about 36 hours since free agency has started. Nothing that has been done so far would set us back for years and years.

ATXtexanfan
03-01-2008, 11:13 PM

it's not about keeping peyton off the field, it's about stopping him from putting up points when he's on the field, he tears us apart every time, the one time we beat the colts they went on to win the superbowl because they were pissed off they lost to us

Errant Hothy
03-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Agree to disagree......i heard differently. Rick can SAY a lot of stuff just to throw people off, just like he isnt talking about the draft.

They could throw BOATLOADS of cash but Burner would have to decide if the money was really worth going to a team with no identity, no QB, and a brand new coach w/ an unproven system..........The exact opposite here.

From who?

And just so you know what Madden says on your PS3 does not equate to reality.

Errant Hothy
03-01-2008, 11:17 PM

8m garunteed.

8M over 5 years is not all that bad.

michaelm
03-01-2008, 11:19 PM

it's not about keeping peyton off the field, it's about stopping him from putting up points when he's on the field, he tears us apart every time, the one time we beat the colts they went on to win the superbowl because they were pissed off they lost to us

The one time we beat the Colts, we did it by keeping their offense off the field.
Time of Possession:
Hou - 35:59
Ind - 24:01

RipTraxx
03-01-2008, 11:21 PM
From who?

And just so you know what Madden says on your PS3 does not equate to reality.

Wow really?

Errant Hothy
03-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Wow really?

Sure, why not?

It's better then your "Turner could have been a Texan" BS.

Either provide a source, hopefully it ain't some random blogger, or prepare to not be take seriously at all. Anybody can say that they heard something...watch.

Dudes, I heard that Rick Smith has secertly cloned Joe Montana and he's going to be our QB next year.

ATXtexanfan
03-01-2008, 11:28 PM
The one time we beat the Colts, we did it by keeping their offense off the field.
Time of Possession:
Hou - 35:59
Ind - 24:01

yes but it took a fg as time ran out to win, it was great but how mant times have we beat peyton and how mant times has he shoved a can of whip ass up our rears, as good as j-ville is he rolled them up as well last year, the titans keep it close but peyton beats them in the end, casserly was right when he said that they took mario to beat the colts, if we can beat them than we can win our division, the only thing that has stopped the colts from being a dynasty is the pats, we aren't the pats

b0ng
03-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Sure, why not?

Dudes, I heard that Rick Smith has secertly cloned Joe Montana and he's going to be our QB next year.

WHAT? That's horsecrap and Rick Smith knows it. Any QB who deserves to be cloned, it should be Roger Staubauch. GOD DOES THIS FO KNOW ANYTHING?

ATXtexanfan
03-01-2008, 11:32 PM
WHAT? That's horsecrap and Rick Smith knows it. Any QB who deserves to be cloned, it should be Roger Staubauch. GOD DOES THIS FO KNOW ANYTHING?

i'll take montana as a clone, any way we can mix in mike vicks speed?

b0ng
03-01-2008, 11:33 PM

Yeah but that just makes Steve Young :thinking:

michaelm
03-01-2008, 11:33 PM
yes but it took a fg as time ran out to win, it was great but how mant times have we beat peyton and how mant times has he shoved a can of whip ass up our rears, as good as j-ville is he rolled them up as well last year, the titans keep it close but peyton beats them in the end, casserly was right when he said that they took mario to beat the colts, if we can beat them than we can win our division, the only thing that has stopped the colts from being a dynasty is the pats, we aren't the pats

Hey, it's a two sided equation... you want a good defense to try and stop him, and a good offense to keep him off the field...
I just think that a team has a better chance winning by keeping Peyton on the bench.
There isn't a single team in the league that can shut him down on a regular basis...
There are teams that can keep their offensive units on the field against Indy.

michaelm
03-01-2008, 11:35 PM

It's a PR move, dude. The FO knows that they might lose true Texans fans if they bring in clone Staubauch...

PHAROAH
03-01-2008, 11:37 PM
I think the Texans are going to draft Best player available in round one which will probably turnout to be a Running Back or Pass Rusher at #18. Rick Smith stated that they are looking to add another veteran cornerback and they will proably draft at least two so they are looking to re-tool the entire secondary. I think if they a sign another veteran CB like Brian Kelly or Travis Fisher that has a lot of starting experience I think the texans will look to draft a young corner in the 3rd round and that depends on the health of Daunta Robinson. So drafting a CB in round one doesn't look like that's going to happen at this point so we need to focus on the running back position and a pass rusher to team up with Mario Williams.

ATXtexanfan
03-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Hey, it's a two sided equation... you want a good defense to try and stop him, and a good offense to keep him off the field...
I just think that a team has a better chance winning by keeping Peyton on the bench.
There isn't a single team in the league that can shut him down on a regular basis...
There are teams that can keep their offensive units on the field against Indy.

yes, but the jags with their ball control offense went 0-2 against indi and the titans with a ball control offense went 1-1, but that win was in the last game of the season with dungy sitting all of his starters and it was only a 16-10 victory, peyton seems to do enough to keep his division down

kastofsna
03-02-2008, 12:23 AM
damnit, i really wanted Reeves.

RipTraxx
03-02-2008, 12:28 AM

On paper this guy doesnt look like much, but some people are happy with it.

What'd you find appealing about him?

kiwitexansfan
03-02-2008, 12:41 AM

Come on now you have to let someone else have a turn... haven't the Dolphins already made a dozen signings..

beerlover
03-02-2008, 12:48 AM
I wonder if we do this deal without Dunta Robinson going down? if yes, its a great deal, no means they just covered the bases.

LZ
03-02-2008, 01:06 AM

They ran zone out of necessity. They would prefer to play more man.

Errant Hothy
03-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Now, about Jacques Reeves. All you Cowboys fans who are laughing at the Texans and sending condolences for signing Reeves to a five-year, $20 million contract, here's what I know.

After watching tape of every Cowboys game, the Texans' pro personnel people, as well as general manager Rick Smith, decided he would fit into what they're doing in the secondary.

Before Smith pursued Reeves, he went to coach Gary Kubiak to get his opinion. Then, they went to defensive coordinator Richard Smith, secondary coach Jon Hoke and assistant secondary coach Ray Rhodes to see what they thought.

Based on what the Texans had to spend under the cap, the decision was to target Reeves. The coaches believe he has an upside. They believe he can help the team. They might be right, and they might be wrong.

All of you who are blasting the Reeves move, you might be right, but you might be wrong, too. Sorry but I'm going to side with Hoke and Rhodes and the pro personnel people over you. No offense, of course.

I think the signing of Reeves is the first of several moves the Texans are going to make to improve their secondary. I think they'll sign another veteran and use their No. 1 pick on a cornerback, as well.

McClain's take on the signng.
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/02/texans_keep_davis_set_sights_o.html

CloakNNNdagger
03-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Jacques Reeves' (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=2914&line=113531&spln=1)contract with the Texans is worth $20 million over five seasons, according to NFL Network.
We haven't seen the guaranteed money, but this indicates he'll be a starter, possibly even when Dunta Robinson returns from his knee injury. Reeves has blazing speed, but is notorious for giving receivers tons of room underneath. There is no question he's being overpaid. Mar. 2 - 9:55 am et

What my greatest concern is the analysis which I already mention in a previous post as being also my personal observation from last year. I hope that the "system" and our "upcoaching" neutralizes his greatest liability.

stiff
03-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Like several others have mentioned this is a good signing if nothing more than adding depth to the secondary. We will see what Ray Thodes can do with him. Reeves is still fairly young had seems to have a lot of upside.

The Texans still need to look for secondary help in the draft. The ideal situation would be to trade back and pick up a second round pick. Then use either the first or second round pick on a CB, then draft a RB in the 3rd round

edo783
03-02-2008, 12:12 PM
This seems to have more than a bit of the "P-burnt" smell about it. Talented, speedy guy who gets burned deep. The difference seems to be that he will stick his nose in there and make a tackle. I think it will depend on what Rohdes and Hoke can do with him. We just bought a potential gem/bust guy.

bckey
03-02-2008, 12:25 PM
What I don't understand about this deal is that we spent $20 million for Reeves (J-Burnt) and let Von Hutchins go to Atlanta for a mere $9 million. I know the Texans think that there is some upside to Reeves but Von Hutchins really contributed alot to our defense last year. Speed alone won't get it done in the NFL as we all know.

PapaL
03-02-2008, 12:30 PM
For some reason this Jacques Cousteau signing doesn't excite me at all. I think CB is going to be a serious area of concern next year. Kinda like putting a band aid on a gashed artery.

Errant Hothy
03-02-2008, 12:32 PM
First off I think some of us fans are over-valuing Von.

Secondly, everybody needs to stop acting like Reeves is ever going to see al 20M of his contract.

Rick Smith and Co. have put few feet wrong since assuming control of the team, and they have earned the trust of the fans.

TheRealJoker
03-02-2008, 12:37 PM
I think we can all agree that we overpaid for this guy.

Errant Hothy
03-02-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm begining to think that some of y'all have an odd sense of the finances of the NFL.

8M quranteed over 5 years, for a CB with starting expeirence (as a #1 no less), and who is likely to be the stop gap starter till/if Dunta comes back...and y'all think he is overpaid?

BigTimeTexanFan
03-02-2008, 12:45 PM
"Kubiak said the Texans targeted Reeves from the beginning and that defensive coordinator Richard Smith, defensive backs coach Jon Hoke and assistant defensive backs coach Ray Rhodes wanted Reeves."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5584911.html

I don't know much at all about this kid, but if this is true it makes me feel a lot better about the signing. They obviously see something in this kid. How many street free agents did Rick Smith pick up last year with limited time that worked out for us? Hopefully this will too.

NitroGSXR
03-02-2008, 01:10 PM
I'm begining to think that some of y'all have an odd sense of the finances of the NFL.

8M quranteed over 5 years, for a CB with starting expeirence (as a #1 no less), and who is likely to be the stop gap starter till/if Dunta comes back...and y'all think he is overpaid?
I would think that Terrance Newman was their number one CB and Anthony Harris was their #2. Either way, teams don't line CBs up as #1s or #2s. They generally line up on one side or the other. Teams move WRs around to maximize match ups. I could be wrong but it's what I'm thinking.

Something else to consider, Reeves never really was their starter. He only filled in for when Harris and Newman went down with injuries. He went back to the nickle position after they returned from their injuries.

Errant Hothy
03-02-2008, 01:17 PM
I would think that Terrance Newman was their number one CB and Anthony Harris was their #2. Either way, teams don't line CBs up as #1s or #2s. They generally line up on one side or the other. Teams move WRs around to maximize match ups. I could be wrong but it's what I'm thinking.

Something else to consider, Reeves never really was their starter. He only filled in for when Harris and Newman went down with injuries. He went back to the nickle position after they returned from their injuries.

I know that but he spent a good part of last season as a starter, and he spent that time on a 13 win team.

I would say that Reeves will challenge Bennett for role as "best" CB till D-Robs return. Reeves is easily better then Fletcher and Faggins.

Of course this could all change depending on the draft.

beerlover
03-02-2008, 01:25 PM

I beleive nickle is where the front office & coaching staff project him to play. this position requires good recognition, instincts & toughness to stick your nose over the middle in run support or laying out underneath support. this is specificly where he is an upgrade over Hutchins & reason why fans have been complaining some time about lack of toughness in secondary. everyone is mistaken penciling in Reeves as the "NEW" starting cb when in reality he will serve the same role here as in Dallas :cool:

NitroGSXR
03-02-2008, 01:50 PM
I beleive nickle is where the front office & coaching staff project him to play. this position requires good recognition, instincts & toughness to stick your nose over the middle in run support or laying out underneath support. this is specificly where he is an upgrade over Hutchins & reason why fans have been complaining some time about lack of toughness in secondary. everyone is mistaken penciling in Reeves as the "NEW" starting cb when in reality he will serve the same role here as in Dallas :cool:
Assuming the rumor is true about 8 million guaranteed...

8 million guaranteed doesn't really tell me that. That tells me they're expecting him to start somewhat. I think that he'll start until Dunta returns. That's what I'm guessing.

I'm not exactly sold on Reeves but I do think he'll be a better CB than Drayton Florence who I think is grossly overrated (And I wanted him) for the money he got. I guess I don't know too much about Reeves and what I liked about Florence was that he's willing to smack a dirty hit here and there as per the Schaub leveling and that's something that's SEVERELY missing from our team. Will Reeves do that? I don't know. I don't really know enough about him. I hate the Cowboys so much that I don't even really analyze their team. A flaw of mine, I guess. I really do have a lot of animosity for the Cowboys. Oh well!

DocBar
03-02-2008, 01:59 PM
As I stated before, I'm not that high on this signing. I'm gonna hide and watch because of Kubes' and Smith's overall great record at grading talent. I hope this doesn't deter us from taking a CB in the 1st if that's the BPA.

maddogmrb
03-02-2008, 02:04 PM

Hear Ye! Hear Ye!
:lion:

was385
03-02-2008, 02:16 PM
I like the signing. He can at least step in and start until Dunta is back and then we've got a very solid nickel back after. It's not going to completely take away the secondary problems but it'll help. Not sure what this does for the chances of taking a cornerback in the first round though.

beerlover
03-02-2008, 02:29 PM
I like the signing. He can at least step in and start until Dunta is back and then we've got a very solid nickel back after. It's not going to completely take away the secondary problems but it'll help. Not sure what this does for the chances of taking a cornerback in the first round though.

if their targeted starting cb is on the board #18 they still select him. However if not, Smith might feel a little more comfortable accepting a viable trade down offer :thinking:

Goldensilence
03-02-2008, 02:43 PM
I know that but he spent a good part of last season as a starter, and he spent that time on a 13 win team.

I would say that Reeves will challenge Bennett for role as "best" CB till D-Robs return. Reeves is easily better then Fletcher and Faggins.

Of course this could all change depending on the draft.

Once again Hoth we are in agreement.

I'm wondering at this point how Dunta's recovery process is coming along. I do agree on some people here over valuing Von. Good player in the role we wanted him as but I'm confused at the people here. Some are wanting the big name guys but then were all on re-signing Von on the cheap. Which is it guys?

Over the length of the contract that's not a bad contract to get into a guy that has good experience, is fairly young, and has played with a top notch CB like Newman. It's pretty much like most of us expected 2nd Tier FA CB.

was385
03-02-2008, 02:50 PM
if their targeted starting cb is on the board #18 they still select him. However if not, Smith might feel a little more comfortable accepting a viable trade down offer :thinking:

I definitely hope this doesn't deter us from taking a CB but at the same time I think this increases the chances of trading down to take Phillips and getting a second rounder, which I would still be happy with. I'm confident in the FO to make a good pick so I'm not all that worried.

Errant Hothy
03-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Hear Ye! Hear Ye!
:lion:

Hear ye to what?

We were promised what we are getting. Rick Smith said that we would NOT be signing any big name FAs.

Ignore the GM at the risk of makin' a fool out of yourself.

ObsiWan
03-02-2008, 04:23 PM

If ya gonna clone somebody, clone Jim Brown or Walter Payton. And while we're playing Mad Scientist, clone Deacon Jones to line up opposite Mario and Mel Blount to be our #1 CB.
:)

TexansSeminole
03-02-2008, 04:23 PM
I definitely hope this doesn't deter us from taking a CB but at the same time I think this increases the chances of trading down to take Phillips and getting a second rounder, which I would still be happy with. I'm confident in the FO to make a good pick so I'm not all that worried.

I don't think it will. This guy should play nickel and dime situations. I don't think they expect him to start unless something goes wrong, like more injuries. Fletcher and Faggins should be put on emergency duty.

Hottoddie
03-02-2008, 04:40 PM
I don't think it will. This guy should play nickel and dime situations. I don't think they expect him to start unless something goes wrong, like more injuries. Fletcher and Faggins should be put on emergency duty.

I disagree with you. You don't pay a backup $20 million? You do that for very long & you'll be in cap hell real quick. I'm of the opinion that he was signed with the intent being to start him.

While I haven't seen Reeves play, I'm starting to get very intrigued by the kid.

Reading all the negative posts on the internet about him reminds me so much of this board in that, everytime a young player makes a bonehead play, the same overwhelming group of fans pile on him. They don't seem capable of getting over their disappointment & looking at the circumstances that contributed to that play. Hell, even I've been guilty of it.

Let's give this kid a chance. Obviously, the coaches & GM see something in him. Not to mention, all the other teams that were interested in him. He's obviously got something. I just hope it's not a really good agent. :D

I'm wondering if the veteran FA CB they're referring to could be Ty Law? Or, perhaps Jason Webster (assuming he's healthy), Eugene Wilson, Sammy Davis, or Hank Poteat?

There's also a lot of safeties still twisting in the wind like our own Will Demps & Mike Doss.

TexansSeminole
03-02-2008, 04:49 PM
I disagree with you. You don't pay a backup $20 million? You do that for very long & you'll be in cap hell real quick. I'm of the opinion that he was signed with the intent being to start him.

5 years $20 million. And he's a corner. Teams do pay corners alot to be nickel and dime guys. The Jaguars paid Florence $36 million over 6 years and they have Mathis and Brian Williams. They've chose not to resign Cousin so they are probably bringing Florence in to play nickel and compete for starting job.

I didn't say the guy won't compete for a starting job, I just don't think, come Game 1, he will be a starter.

was385
03-02-2008, 05:05 PM

Once Dunta returns, he'll slide into a nickel role but until then he should start. Nickelbacks can be very valuable and having a good one should go a long way against the Colts, who use so many receivers.

Contract isn't bad if he can come in, be a decent starter until Dunta returns, and then strengthen the secondary in nickel situations.

TexansSeminole
03-02-2008, 05:09 PM
I'd bet that our #2 is next year, before Dunta comes back, will be a rookie.

was385
03-02-2008, 05:25 PM
I'd bet that our #2 is next year, before Dunta comes back, will be a rookie.

If they go that route with the first pick then it very well could be. I'm still expecting the FO to take a RB (Stewart?) with that 18th pick or trade down and get a 2nd rounder as well, snag Phillips in the first and grab an RB in the second (Rice or Charles).

ObsiWan
03-02-2008, 05:37 PM
If you have NFL Network, they're running the Dallas/Giants playoff game. I'm checking it out to see what Reeves is about.

He's lined up man-on-man with Plaxico when the 'boys play man.

Plus I get to see the Cowboys lose again... but that's gravy

maddogmrb
03-02-2008, 05:57 PM
[QUOTE=Hoth-Boy;856180]Hear ye to what?

We were promised what we are getting. Rick Smith said that we would NOT be signing any big name FAs.
QUOTE]

And that, sir ....... IS the point!
:music:

Errant Hothy
03-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Hear ye to what?

And that, sir ....... IS the point!
:music:

Would you rather over-spend this year, on your percious big names, and risk having cap issues for several more years (not to mention that this is an extremly weak FA class), or would you rather spend one more year being a little tighter with the money to be able to make a bis signing next year in what should a) be a better FA class and b) have the team in a better position to benefit from the addition of a big name FA?

Errant Hothy
03-02-2008, 06:14 PM
I'll give Reeves this, the kid ain't afraid to hit somebody.

maddogmrb
03-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Would you rather over-spend this year, on your percious big names, and risk having cap issues for several more years (not to mention that this is an extremly weak FA class), or would you rather spend one more year being a little tighter with the money to be able to make a bis signing next year in what should a) be a better FA class and b) have the team in a better position to benefit from the addition of a big name FA?

That's what we said last year....

Meanwhile the best FAs get signed by others. I don't mean to foolishly dish out the $$$. But, we need to get in the game because we have too many holes to fill just thru the draft. So far, we've lost 2 mediocre backups and have signed 2 mediocre backups. That's not improving our team.
:gun:

bah007
03-02-2008, 07:09 PM

Meanwhile the best FAs get signed by others. I don't mean to foolishly dish out the $$$. But, we need to get in the game because we have too many holes to fill just thru the draft. So far, we've lost 2 mediocre backups and have signed 2 mediocre backups. That's not improving our team.

It will be if we can find a starter or two in the draft, and maybe a few more mediocre backups.

Second Honeymoon
03-02-2008, 08:02 PM
If ya gonna clone somebody, clone Jim Brown or Walter Payton. And while we're playing Mad Scientist, clone Deacon Jones to line up opposite Mario and Mel Blount to be our #1 CB.

I'll take a Deion clone opposite Blount to make it truly sick. Dunta can play Safety when he comes back.

ATXtexanfan
03-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Once Dunta returns, he'll slide into a nickel role but until then he should start. Nickelbacks can be very valuable and having a good one should go a long way against the Colts, who use so many receivers.

Contract isn't bad if he can come in, be a decent starter until Dunta returns, and then strengthen the secondary in nickel situations.

true, we need all the db's we can get

Specnatz
03-02-2008, 08:41 PM

Nolast year it was said we had no cap room what so ever because of so much Dead Money thanks to a lot of guys who were cut after they were signed by casserly to stupidly large contracts late in their careers.

I am curious how many games and tapes you have watched of Reeves and Bently to say that they not improvements over Anderson and Hutchinson, because you are saying we have not improved at all so you must have watched lots of games to know.

dalemurphy
03-02-2008, 08:51 PM

Look at the history of all the successful organizations since the Salary Cap era began. The teams that maintained their relevance are teams that didn't spend big money during FA:

Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, New England, and Indianapolis...

They sometimes secure their own young talent with big money, draft well, fill-in with bargain free agents, and rarely chase someone with big money.

This is what Kubiak and Smith want to become. Show me a successful organization over a 6-10 timespan that threw big bucks at FAs.

Even NE last year, though they were aggressive, gave very cap-friendly contracts to: RMoss, DStallworth (both FAs after one year) and Wes Welker.

Second Honeymoon
03-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Look at the history of all the successful organizations since the Salary Cap era began. The teams that maintained their relevance are teams that didn't spend big money during FA:

Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, New England, and Indianapolis...

They sometimes secure their own young talent with big money, draft well, fill-in with bargain free agents, and rarely chase someone with big money.

This is what Kubiak and Smith want to become. Show me a successful organization over a 6-10 timespan that threw big bucks at FAs.

Even NE last year, though they were aggressive, gave very cap-friendly contracts to: RMoss, DStallworth (both FAs after one year) and Wes Welker.

and now NE is paying the price for not locking those guys up more longterm. They look to resign Moss but its gonna be the most money they have spent on a non-QB on offense in a while.

Honoring Earl 34
03-02-2008, 08:57 PM
and now NE is paying the price for not locking those guys up more longterm. They look to resign Moss but its gonna be the most money they have spent on a non-QB on offense in a while.

I guess Ol' Bill thought everybody wants to be a Patriot ... heck they'd pay him to play .

I think the Pats have lost some luster since spygate and losing the Super Bowl .

Errant Hothy
03-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Nolast year it was said we had no cap room what so ever because of so much Dead Money thanks to a lot of guys who were cut after they were signed by casserly to stupidly large contracts late in their careers.

I am curious how many games and tapes you have watched of Reeves and Bently to say that they not improvements over Anderson and Hutchinson, because you are saying we have not improved at all so you must have watched lots of games to know.

Spec, I promise you he's seen very little, if any, tape on either player.

Long term winning franchises build throught the draft, not free agency. If you want to be a fan of a team that makes the big FA splash, may I recommend the Redskins or the 49ers.

michaelm
03-03-2008, 02:10 AM
According to HPF, Reeves guaranteed money is around $8 million.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/ (story is on the front page)

I'm really questioning this signing, and that $ figure only adds to my concern.
I can't find any info indicating that Reeves had ever played at safety, but what do you think the odds are of him being tried out at FS?
He is a pretty good tackler from what I've read, and seems to like to play facing the QB. His speed is supposed to be pretty good, so it might be worth a shot...
he is on the smallish side for a safety, but there are some his size (Hutchins is similar), and he has the tackling skills of a larger guy.

???

ATRAIN
03-03-2008, 09:09 AM
All my cowboy buddies keep laughing at me, I just hope he kicks ass and become s a pro bowler. I am trying to be positive here :). We better draft a CB come draft day though.

Errant Hothy
03-03-2008, 09:56 AM
According to HPF, Reeves guaranteed money is around $8 million.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/ (story is on the front page)

I'm really questioning this signing, and that $ figure only adds to my concern.
I can't find any info indicating that Reeves had ever played at safety, but what do you think the odds are of him being tried out at FS?
He is a pretty good tackler from what I've read, and seems to like to play facing the QB. His speed is supposed to be pretty good, so it might be worth a shot...
he is on the smallish side for a safety, but there are some his size (Hutchins is similar), and he has the tackling skills of a larger guy.

???

I just don't get how anybody could be concerned over the $ in this move.

People, it's 8M quarenteed over 5 years.

dalemurphy
03-03-2008, 10:09 AM
I just don't get how anybody could be concerned over the $ in this move.

People, it's 8M quarenteed over 5 years.

according to the Chronic, the signing bonus is only $4 million...

Kaiser Toro
03-03-2008, 10:16 AM
I have no problem with the signing if our FO targeted the guy and for the money given. We will be playing more zone (which I am not a big fan), which means you need to field bigger guys in the secondary. Our safeties do have some size, but I am not sold on the current lot being able to cover a man let alone an area.

Dunta going down last year with those type of injuries has put this unit in a tough spot due to his contract being up for renegotiation after 2008. Do we exhaust money on a CB in the first round or do we continue to acquire folks off the wire and see what fits? We have the experience on the coaching staff and front office to patchwork a unit.

I would not be surprised if we passed on a CB in the 1st and wait to see who gets cut over the next months and acquire via the wire rather than through the draft.

Ole Miss Texan
03-03-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm confused. The article in the chronicle stated Reeves played in Dallas and Wade Phillips implemented a zone-blitzing scheme. Reeves stated he preferred to line up on the WR and run with him. We're going more towards Zone and it's been said Reeves should be better in Zone.

So what the heck is going on? I hope he fits what we're trying to do. Getting the right guys that fit your system is all that matters.

Just because someone is a $50million Cornerback doesn't mean he'd make your team better. So I'm glad they're targeting guys who can excel in our system.

HOU-TEX
03-03-2008, 11:17 AM
I wonder if this signing and the larger than expected contract has anything to do with being from Purdue. SmithGM is from Purdue.

Just sayin..:worm:

Chance_C
03-03-2008, 11:25 AM
according to the Chronic, the signing bonus is only $4 million..

And that's the only part that is actually guaranteed I think. Can someone explain this? I was listening to McClain with one ear this morning and it seems like that's what he said...?

Texan_Bill
03-03-2008, 11:36 AM
I wonder if this signing and the larger than expected contract has anything to do with being from Purdue. SmithGM is from Purdue.

Just sayin..:worm:

Nice conspiracy theory... :)

I think its more just a result of the market for DB's being driven up - going back to even last year... Personally, I think teams are placing too much value on DB's which includes mediocre DB's.

Maddict5
03-03-2008, 11:57 AM
if its only 4m in garunteed money, id be very content with this signing

ChampionTexan
03-03-2008, 12:13 PM
if its only 4m in garunteed money, id be very content with this signing

The Chronic's the one reporting $4MM - it's more recent than the report of $8MM, and say what you will about the Fat Man, with this type of information, he's likely to be correct.

michaelm
03-03-2008, 12:15 PM
The Chronic's the one reporting $4MM - it's more recent than the report of $8MM, and say what you will about the Fat Man, with this type of information, he's likely to be correct.

I hope so. It would make me feel better about everything...

I was thinking that 8M was a bit high for a 20M contract. 4M seems more in line with what I would expect.

TexanAddict
03-03-2008, 12:37 PM
I feel more comfortable knowing the guaranteed portion of his contract will be $4 million. Not exactly small, but shouldn't have any real cap ramifications if he doesn't work out and is cut in a couple years.

Second Honeymoon
03-03-2008, 12:53 PM
there is no Purdue conspiracy theory and for that matter Purdue has put some elite DBs into the NFL over the years. Truly elite.

TheRealJoker
03-03-2008, 01:19 PM
I retract my previous statement. I was under the impression that since he signed 5 yrs 20 million his guaranteed money would be in the neighborhood of 10 million. If it is indeed 4 million then this is a solid signing.

This guy will either be P Burnt 2.0 or a solid starting CB for us, coaching up this type of player is what we brought Ray Rhodes in here for.

D-ReK
03-03-2008, 02:14 PM
This signing is a complete win-win for the Texans organization. While the $20M can appear to be intimidating, the $4M guaranteed amount is the part that truly matters. The fact is that there is a premium on CBs this offseason (Florence signing for $36M with $12M guaranteed is evidence of that), and we signed a player with some tools and upside who will work with Hoke and Rhodes to realize some of his potential. He will be changing schemes to a man coverage scheme that he feels better suits him, since Dallas' scheme had him play off of his man and was a bad fit for him. If he plays well, he will earn every penny of his contract. If he doesn't play well, he will be relegated to nickel duties and cut in a few seasons with a modest cap hit. There is nothing to not like about this signing.

buddyboy
03-03-2008, 02:41 PM
We get Reeves for 20 mill over 5 years, and gay signed for around 17.6 mill with the Saints for 4 years. Kinda disappointed we didn't get a chance at Gay, but hopefully Reeves can contribute.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Akn_LuiKzc2NvRIIny_Lt7MdsLYF?slug=ap-saints-gay&prov=ap&type=lgns

Specnatz
03-03-2008, 02:51 PM
We get Reeves for 20 mill over 5 years, and gay signed for around 17.6 mill with the Saints for 4 years. Kinda disappointed we didn't get a chance at Gay, but hopefully Reeves can contribute.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Akn_LuiKzc2NvRIIny_Lt7MdsLYF?slug=ap-saints-gay&prov=ap&type=lgns

Gay gave the Saints a home town discount, it was the first team he contacted and when they offered hom something he liked he accepted it without trying to up the price.

dalemurphy
03-03-2008, 03:47 PM
I hope so. It would make me feel better about everything...

I was thinking that 8M was a bit high for a 20M contract. 4M seems more in line with what I would expect.

Here's the deal, I think.

$4 million dollar signing bonus and his first two years' salary equals approximately $4 million guaranteed= total of $8 million.

According to Pat Kirwin, that's what teams are doing to increase the guaranteed dollars without increasing the bonus dollars.

austintexanite
03-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Here's the deal, I think.

$4 million dollar signing bonus and his first two years' salary equals approximately $4 million guaranteed= total of $8 million.

According to Pat Kirwin, that's what teams are doing to increase the guaranteed dollars without increasing the bonus dollars.

I'm not sure I would have signed him for 5 years but the contract makes sense financially.

WWJD
03-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Hope the change of scenery works....I think the Texans would be better served to draft a rookie CB first round over Reeves.

infantrycak
03-07-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm not sure I would have signed him for 5 years but the contract makes sense financially.

They way the contract is structured, it is essentially a 2 year deal. After that he can be cut at any time with virtually no cap consequence.

Hope the change of scenery works....I think the Texans would be better served to draft a rookie CB first round over Reeves.

Who says they won't do both?

Errant Hothy
03-07-2008, 10:52 AM
There's a pretty good ESPN Insider article that brings up Reeves:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=joyner_kc&id=3277748&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3djoyner_ kc%26id%3d3277748

(somebody over at the offical board posted the releveant info, so props to him/her)

Underrated

Jacques Reeves, CB, Texans: Reeves, formerly of the Cowboys, had a 7.9 YPA in 2007. That number alone says he is average, but it is skewed somewhat by three of his games. Reeves struggled in Week 2 at Miami, got beat for a 69-yard touchdown by Donte' Stallworth in Week 6 against New England and had a subpar showing in Week 11 against Washington.

Take those three tilts out of his numbers, and Reeves' YPA drops to 7.0, which is a starting-cornerback level YPA. He might not be a shutdown cornerback, but he certainly is an upgrade for a weak Houston secondary that can use all the help it can get.

Interesting, to me atleast.

WWJD
03-07-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm pretty sure he was the corner that got beat in the Cowboys-Giants game and also got a facemask penalty on that same drive.....right before halftime I think.

He's got all the incentive in the world to improve his game. New team, new start. If he can do it great. If he can't get better than he was last year he'll just be Faggins with another number.

Grams
03-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Every time I saw a Cowboys game, he looked just like Faggins.

Not impressed with this signing at all.

Hopefully I will have to eat some crow after next season!

ObsiWan
03-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Dang guys!
From time to time everyone gets beat. That's why no one's YPA is 0.0.
Let's see what the youngster can do in our scheme.

And I'll have to disagree with the "looked like Faggins" comment at least this kid can tackle.

Vinny
03-07-2008, 12:14 PM

They way the contract is structured, it is essentially a 2 year deal. After that he can be cut at any time with virtually no cap consequence.

Who says they won't do both?Not only do I think they will do both, I think we will pick a CB with our first overall and will have two new starters at CB in week 1.

Brando
03-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Not only do I think they will do both, I think we will pick a CB with our first overall and will have two new starters at CB in week 1.

So you don't think Fred Bennett will start? Just asking.....

Vinny
03-07-2008, 12:20 PM
So you don't think Fred Bennett will start? Just asking.....Reeves looks like a good nickel corner to me. I guess technically we'd roll out one new starter but I'm still viewing Bennett as a first time starter I guess.

Brando
03-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Reeves looks like a good nickel corner to me.

I see. I was thinking the the top 2 corners not thinking about the nickel package.

TexansSeminole
03-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Not only do I think they will do both, I think we will pick a CB with our first overall and will have two new starters at CB in week 1.

I agree. I think it would be the wisest decision. It would also make Dunta's comeback less stressful for him. He won't have to start right away if that rookie is showing good progress.

RipTraxx
03-07-2008, 03:06 PM
So you don't think Fred Bennett will start? Just asking.....

I think Fred did a nice a job. Considering he was a 4th rounder? I think w/ a full offseason, Ray Rhodes in town, i found him pretty reliable.

Rex King
03-07-2008, 03:20 PM

Can they or did they frontload the contract, so the entire signing bonus is applied this year, seeing as they're unlikely to use up all of their cap space?

J-Russ
03-07-2008, 05:07 PM

Vinny, what DB do you like in this upcoming draft, that would be around the 18th pick?

Vinny
03-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Vinny, what DB do you like in this upcoming draft, that would be around the 18th pick?
Aqib Talib and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie look like two long term players with great ball skills and above average physical gifts. There may be a guy like Mike Jenkins (probably the best pure cover corner in the draft) slipping but he has character issues so I don't think we go with him if he falls. Who knows how bad his supposed character issues are.

CloakNNNdagger
03-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Aqib Talib and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie look like two long term players with great ball skills and above average physical gifts. There may be a guy like Mike Jenkins (probably the best pure cover corner in the draft) slipping but he has character issues so I don't think we go with him if he falls. Who knows how bad his supposed character issues are.

------------------------------

2008 NFL Draft Prospect - Scouting Report (http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1240)

Coming into the season, Jenkins was already rated as one of the top corners in the nation. But, with the success that the Bulls have had - rising as high as #2 in the nation - that has given him the kind of exposure one of the top defensive backs in the country needs.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a better cover corner in the country - he's had 12 pass breakups and three interceptions this season despite teams trying to stay away from him. Last season, he had 15 pass breakups and was named as one of the nation's top corners by the Sporting News. He and fellow senior Trae Williams, who also should be selected on the first day of the draft, form one of the best corner duos in the country.

Jenkins' size, speed, and cover ability would seem to make him a solid first-round pick. However, there was an off-field issue earlier this year that might make some teams balk. In March, Jenkins and another USF starter, Carlton Williams, were arrested on charges of disorderly conduct and obstructing or opposing an officer without violence and as a result were suspended for a time by USF coach Jim Leavitt.
High character is a must in the Roger Goodell era, so Jenkins is going to have to stay out of any sort of trouble. His arrest could drop him a few spots, but his talent will ensure he's taken before too long. But, if it was only a bump in the road, then the future looks bright for Jenkins as a quick-impact player in the NFL.

Update (1/4/08): Jenkins made three tackles in USF's 56-21 loss to Oregon in Monday's Sun Bowl. He finishes his senior season with 41 tackles, three interceptions, and 12 pass breakups.
Jenkins, the #1 senior corner according to NFLDraftScout.com, will participate in the Senior Bowl in Mobile on January 26.

Update (2/28/08): Jenkins clocked in at a best of 4.38 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the combine, which solidified his place as one of the top corners in the draft and a sure first-round pick.

Last Updated Feb-29-2008 by Eddie Griffin

-------------------
Several other sources have emphasized that this is the only incident he has been involved with. If this is indeed the case, I would certainly not be deterred to picking him.
-------------------

This piece compares him to Champ Bailey
BIO:
Jenkins is an outstanding cover corner who can lock on and shut down an opponent's top receiver. He is a great athlete, and is very quick, with lethal closing speed. Mike also is versatile enough to play safety.

Click on his interview video. (http://www.draftseason.com/index2.php?Page_Name=PlayerProfile2&id=772)

edo783
03-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Not exactly Dillinger is he? If that is all there is, I doubt we walk away from him for that pretty minor issue if we want him.

TexansSeminole
03-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Jenkins won't be there for us, neither will McKelvin.

We'll be looking at Aqib Talib, Antone Cason, Brandon Flowers, Reggie Smith, and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.

CloakNNNdagger
03-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Jenkins won't be there for us, neither will McKelvin.

We'll be looking at Aqib Talib, Antone Cason, Brandon Flowers, Reggie Smith, and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.

That's a menu that still rivals filet mignon.

TexansSeminole
03-07-2008, 10:29 PM

I agree, very much so.

thunderkyss
03-07-2008, 10:39 PM
I'm pretty sure he was the corner that got beat in the Cowboys-Giants game and also got a facemask penalty on that same drive.....right before halftime I think.

He's got all the incentive in the world to improve his game. New team, new start. If he can do it great. If he can't get better than he was last year he'll just be Faggins with another number.

Funny...

Every time Dunta would get beat, we'd blame the safety,

But anyone else gets beat, and they don't deserve to be on this team.

AnthonyE
03-07-2008, 10:55 PM
Funny...

Ha, very true.

AnthonyE
03-07-2008, 10:56 PM

Indeed. I'd take DRC there, imo. :O

ObsiWan
03-07-2008, 11:14 PM
Funny...

Interesting observation.
even more interesting, no dissenting opinions
:hmmm:

Vinny
03-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Interesting observation.
even more interesting, no dissenting opinions
:hmmm:I don't know if I'd call any observations from TK as "interesting"...."biased and off the wall" is a better descriptive term. ...In March, Jenkins and another USF starter, Carlton Williams, were arrested on charges of disorderly conduct and obstructing or opposing an officer without violence and as a result were suspended for a time by USF coach Jim Leavitt....

-------------------
Several other sources have emphasized that this is the only incident he has been involved with. If this is indeed the case, I would certainly not be deterred to picking him.
-------------------

This piece compares him to Champ Bailey

Click on his interview video. (http://www.draftseason.com/index2.php?Page_Name=PlayerProfile2&id=772)
I heard he was tasered (I know, I know...who hasn't been?)....perhaps there was more than one incident?

Goldensilence
03-07-2008, 11:36 PM
I think the keyword there might be without violence.

ObsiWan
03-07-2008, 11:44 PM
I don't know if I'd call any observations from TK as "interesting"...."biased and off the wall" is a better descriptive term.

I prefer "interesting"

when I use it, it could mean anything from "I hadn't thought about it that way" to "WTF?!"

kinda like when Spock says, "fascinating"

I still try to be polite.
well, most of the time

DocBar
03-12-2008, 07:11 AM
I don't know if this has been posted, but here it is anyway. From Scouts, Inc.

2007 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 47 | Key
Alert: None

Comment: Reeves is a three-year veteran who has been a backup his whole career as well as contributing on special teams. He has good straight-line speed and quickness but struggles when having to change directions or mirror receivers. He is just a little above average with his backpedal and looks a little tight in the hips when he has to open and run deep with the receiver. He generally loses a step on receivers coming out of their hard cuts and is not real quick to make up ground and close the gap. He is not timid about run support and is not afraid to stick his nose in on tackles to deliver a good blow. He has been productive on special teams and with his speed should continue to deliver there. He has enough size to go with his leaping ability to challenge bigger receivers although his timing and ball skills appear questionable.

HoustonFrog
03-28-2008, 09:37 AM
Did anyone here Voice of the Cowboys Brad Scham this morning?I really respect the guy and he is pretty honest about the team and all. He was asked about Reeves and pretty much gave a not so glowing review but one that I and some others have actually agreed with on here. He basically said that when Reeves played in place of injured players last year he was at his best...starting on his own. In the system being one of 3 DBs where they would switch to slot, etc is when he was at his worst. He said he is a hard worker and a decnt DB to have but not someone who is going to be the main guy or a guy you can just sit out there. Overall it seems that Reeves is a slight upgrade and depth. There was alot of hemming and hawing about how special he could be or not be.

El Tejano
03-28-2008, 09:41 AM
I think the Texans are looking at him to compete for the starting job. If he can't get it done he will be a very solid back up.

HoustonFrog
03-28-2008, 09:49 AM
I think the Texans are looking at him to compete for the starting job. If he can't get it done he will be a very solid back up.

Agree. I liked what I saw when he played well last year but then you see him at the end of the year getting lit up and you wonder where the aggression you saw before went. I think overall talent wise he will do well here and can have some outstanding games to make up for soso ones. Just not a top notch starter in my book.

Lucky
03-28-2008, 09:54 AM
He basically said that when Reeves played in place of injured players last year he was at his best...starting on his own. In the system being one of 3 DBs where they would switch to slot, etc is when he was at his worst.
So Scham is saying that Reeves is better on the outside than covering the slot? When Faggins came in as the 3rd CB in the Capers regime, he would stay outside and Dunta would play the slot. If Reeves is better on the outside, I think the Texans will keep him on the outside.

badboy
03-28-2008, 09:58 AM
I think Reeves will battle a draft pick for starter role.

HoustonFrog
03-28-2008, 10:19 AM
So Scham is saying that Reeves is better on the outside than covering the slot? When Faggins came in as the 3rd CB in the Capers regime, he would stay outside and Dunta would play the slot. If Reeves is better on the outside, I think the Texans will keep him on the outside.

The way it came across and I'll have to go back and listen again if it is online is that he was fine on the outside, as you said, but as a 3rd guy with Henry and Newman is when he got torched. What didn't make sense was that he said Newman played the slot. So that would fit your description of what you said about Faggins/Dunta. I'm not sure why he would then have more trouble.

This article explains peoples feelings on his pretty well....this was last year in the DMN when he got a shot to sstart vs the Giants.

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/nwsltr/sports/ivr/stories/090507dnspoivr.22f97c6.html

Reeves will be a free agent at the end of this season. If he plays well, he could get a nice contract and a seven-figure signing bonus as a starter somewhere. If he plays solid, the Cowboys could re-sign him as their nickel cornerback for a nice deal, or some other club will do it because he's also a quality special teams player.

If he plays average, he will probably spend the next few years as a journeyman on a series of one- or two-year deals that will have him always fighting for a job in some team's training camp instead of using that time to work on the nuances of the position.

Talk to any of the defensive coaches and they'll tell you Reeves has the talent to be a solid cornerback in the NFL. His problem is consistency.

Sometimes, he's excellent. Sometimes, you wonder if he should make the team.

nero THE zero
03-28-2008, 10:53 AM
I think Reeves will battle a draft pick for starter role.

I don't. Even if we draft a CB in the first round I don't think Kubiak would be comfortable starting a rookie and 2nd year player opposite each other. One of the important reasons Reeves was brought in is his experience and I think Kubiak will want that out there with a second year player on the other side of him. Now if he struggles I think there is a chance the rookie could get playing time later in the season, but I think Reeves is given, at least, a Faggins-esque chance to start.

Hervoyel
03-28-2008, 10:56 AM
I think the keyword there might be without violence.

Well, if he was tasered that could still be true. Not too many guys are violent while doing the funky chicken at the end of a taser wire. That tends to have a real quick "anti-violence" effect on people.

badboy
03-28-2008, 11:14 AM
I don't. Even if we draft a CB in the first round I don't think Kubiak would be comfortable starting a rookie and 2nd year player opposite each other. One of the important reasons Reeves was brought in is his experience and I think Kubiak will want that out there with a second year player on the other side of him. Now if he struggles I think there is a chance the rookie could get playing time later in the season, but I think Reeves is given, at least, a Faggins-esque chance to start.I hear you. I think Kubes will look at Bennett's progress and maybe decide he wants the best two CBs in the field regardless of experience. Depending on who is drafted and how well Reeves steps up we could have a rookie and a sophomore starting by game 3 or 4.

Rex King
03-28-2008, 05:42 PM
The way it came across and I'll have to go back and listen again if it is online is that he was fine on the outside, as you said, but as a 3rd guy with Henry and Newman is when he got torched. What didn't make sense was that he said Newman played the slot. So that would fit your description of what you said about Faggins/Dunta. I'm not sure why he would then have more trouble.

Just speculating, but perhaps he plays better when he has help over the top? Reportedly he's a guy who jams the receiver and plays press coverage, so along with that scouting report, it sounds like he's bound to get burned without a safety helping him if he messes up at the LOS.

RipTraxx
03-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Just speculating, but perhaps he plays better when he has help over the top? Reportedly he's a guy who jams the receiver and plays press coverage, so along with that scouting report, it sounds like he's bound to get burned without a safety helping him if he messes up at the LOS.

That was the main reason we took interest in him. In Dallas they played a lot of off-coverage which was not his strong suit. They say his press is pretty good.

A Texan
03-29-2008, 01:43 AM
I doubt the Texans will pick a corner in the 1st round this time since that would be a permanent solution to what could be a temporary problem. I don't think they've given up on D-Rob yet and Bennett looks like a starter too. Better to get a veteran that can fill in until they can find out if Dunta can return as good as before, later on. If he can't, they can use a high draft choice later.

Specnatz
03-29-2008, 02:17 AM
I doubt the Texans will pick a corner in the 1st round this time since that would be a permanent solution to what could be a temporary problem. I don't think they've given up on D-Rob yet and Bennett looks like a starter too. Better to get a veteran that can fill in until they can find out if Dunta can return as good as before, later on. If he can't, they can use a high draft choice later.

Kubiak has already said he is going to treat injuries like the player is never coming back. So in other words he is going to act like Daunta does not exsist when evaluating the team needs. Then again what have we done at left tackle.

I love throwing this crap out there to confuse the masses.

The Pencil Neck
03-29-2008, 01:28 PM
I love throwing this crap out there to confuse the masses.

It would only confuse them if they listened to you.

And since no one listens to you...

:specnatz:

ObsiWan
03-29-2008, 02:27 PM
I don't. Even if we draft a CB in the first round I don't think Kubiak would be comfortable starting a rookie and 2nd year player opposite each other. One of the important reasons Reeves was brought in is his experience and I think Kubiak will want that out there with a second year player on the other side of him. Now if he struggles I think there is a chance the rookie could get playing time later in the season, but I think Reeves is given, at least, a Faggins-esque chance to start.

Well we started a rookie and a safety playing out of position. If the rook and the soph are the best talents coming out of camp, they start.