PDA

View Full Version : Killings Retires

AnthonyE
02-28-2008, 11:43 PM
HOUSTON (AP)—Houston Texans defensive tackle Cedric Killings, who broke his neck in September in a game against the Indianapolis Colts, said Thursday he will retire.

Although the injury is not expected to have any lingering effects, Killings said doctors told him he would be at a high risk of permanent paralysis if he were to return to the field.

“If I can’t perform at a high level, and if there is a high risk, then it’s time to do what’s best for my family and not play anymore,” Killings told Houston television station KRIV.

The 310-pound Killings fractured his C-4 vertebra Sept. 23 during a violent headfirst collision with Indianapolis receiver Roy Hall in a 30-24 loss to the Colts. He was unable to move any of his limbs immediately after the hit, but was standing and walking a day later.

Killings said he has already told Texans coach Gary Kubiak of his retirement, a decision he said Kubiak supported.

“It is emotional,” Killings said. “I’ve been going back and forth with it. It was a real tough decision because I’ve always been able to bounce back.”

Killings was an undrafted free agent. He spent a season apiece with San Francisco, Carolina and Washington before playing the 2006-07 seasons with the Texans.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-texans-killings&prov=ap&type=lgns

Not suprising.

kiwitexansfan
02-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Thanks for your efforts Mr Killings, inspirational undrafted story who seemed to get it 100% every time he was called on.

Look after your self and good luck with whatever you turn your hand to.

Insideop
02-29-2008, 12:42 AM
Smart move. Best of luck to you and your family in the future and thank you for all your efforts with the Texans.

Brando
02-29-2008, 07:51 AM
HOUSTON — Houston Texans defensive tackle Cedric Killings, who broke his neck in September in a game against the Indianapolis Colts, said Thursday he will retire.

Link (http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5iDk6JD5s6HkdnvUeXy7iLKEFnj3Q)

Thanks for giving your best effort as a Texan.:texflag:

threetoedpete
02-29-2008, 07:52 AM
Smart move. Best of luck to you and your family in the future and thank you for all your efforts with the Texans.

Yeah, my thought would be to see if he is interested in becoming a scout. I have no idea what his degree is in. I wish nothing but the best for the man.
This is why you stay in school for the forth year. Just never know.

Mike Kerns
02-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Probaly the smart thing to do. Have a happy retirement, buddy.

Yankee_In_TX
02-29-2008, 08:12 AM
Stinks to see a career end so early, but probably a smart move.

CloakNNNdagger
02-29-2008, 08:31 AM
He should have good options after his 4 years at Carson-Newman College.

Texan_Bill
02-29-2008, 09:11 AM
He should have good options after his 4 years at Carson-Newman College.

Good point!!!

Although, it was a scary day watching him being carted off the field.

Good luck Cedric!!!

austintexanite
02-29-2008, 12:16 PM
It's the best for him, I know if I had that serious on an incident I would probably do the same thing.

Dallas_Texan
02-29-2008, 12:26 PM
He seemed like a quality guy, I hope he does well outside of football. My prayers and thanks go out to you and your family! :texflag: