PDA

View Full Version : Hadnot signed by Browns

alphajoker
02-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Well, it would address the need at Center, but wasn't the Dolphins line last year one of the worst?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5578521.html

HOU-TEX
02-28-2008, 11:34 AM
The Dolphins were bad all the way around.

Isn't 325 lbs a little heavy for a ZB center? I reckon it wouldn't matter if he had speed, but dayum that's big.

:texflag:

Maddict5
02-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Satele would bet out alot of centers..

seems decent and versatile depth at least

chicagotexan2
02-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Didn't we learn our lesson w/ Todd Wade. He wasn't much a run blocker and he struggled in pass protection, but other than that he was pretty good.

Maddict5
02-28-2008, 11:57 AM
Didn't we learn our lesson w/ Todd Wade. He wasn't much a run blocker and he struggled in pass protection, but other than that he was pretty good.

well if you're basing which players we can go after based on what the PREVIOUS regime did, that cuts out alot of positions :gun:

badboy
02-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Well he is fat, can he be a run stopping DT?

nunusguy
02-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Isn't 325 lbs a little heavy for a ZB center? I reckon it wouldn't matter if he had speed, but dayum that's big.

NEGATIVES: Stiff, lacks adjustment and immobile. Lacks top footwork, the ability to slide laterally and better in confined quarters.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/43332.html
I dunno, but doesn't sound like a ZB guy at all does he ?

Errant Hothy
02-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Combine stats:
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=58811

He had a good 10 yard spilt in the 40 @ 1.87 (Joe Thomas; was 1.81 last year), 27 reps, 20 yrd shuttle was a 4.76 (which is pretty damn quick of an OL, using Thomas as a guide. Joe ran it in 4.85).

He may be big, but it looks like he can move more then adequetly for the ZBS.

chicagotexan2
02-28-2008, 12:36 PM
well if you're basing which players we can go after based on what the PREVIOUS regime did, that cuts out alot of positions :gun:

I'm not. I'm just still scarred from the previous regimes desicions. And I also have alot more faith in this coaching staff. But MIA didn't have an outstanding OL last season.

Kaiser Toro
02-28-2008, 01:10 PM
I'm not. I'm just still scarred from the previous regimes desicions. And I also have alot more faith in this coaching staff. But MIA didn't have an outstanding OL last season.

They really did not have any offensive skill position players either. Prior to going down in the 7th week Ronnie Brown had put together 4 consecutive 100yards games (not against the best teams). Chambers was traded and they had a merry go round at QB.

HOU-TEX
02-28-2008, 01:31 PM
NEGATIVES: Stiff, lacks adjustment and immobile. Lacks top footwork, the ability to slide laterally and better in confined quarters.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/43332.html
I dunno, but doesn't sound like a ZB guy at all does he ?

LOL, no it doesn't appear beneficial from that analysis.

They really did not have any offensive skill position players either. Prior to going down in the 7th week Ronnie Brown had put together 4 consecutive 100yards games (not against the best teams). Chambers was traded and they had a merry go round at QB.

I agree, Additionally, the Phins have averaged 4.1 yds/carry in the past 2 years. Probably even higher if they hadn't lost their RB's.

ArlingtonTexan
02-28-2008, 02:27 PM
I am assuming that Gibbs and Kubiak think that Hadnot will work in the ZBS of the Texans. If his quickness is adequate, remember one of the problems we have had over the entire 6 years was our center's inability to move piles and ofen getting pushed back. By getting a larger player that maybe resolved to some extent.

A more general point, is that blank team or unit sucked, so blank player has to suck. Given that logic the Pats would have never signed Wes Welker. The point of free agency, especially when you are not going to spend crazy is recognizing players who should fit what you are doing, and putting them in a situation to succeed.

threetoedpete
02-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Well, it would address the need at Center, but wasn't the Dolphins line last year one of the worst?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5578521.html

Not when they played the Texan's.

threetoedpete
02-28-2008, 03:47 PM
I am assuming that Gibbs and Kubiak think that Hadnot will work in the ZBS of the Texans. If his quickness is adequate, remember one of the problems we have had over the entire 6 years was our center's inability to move piles and ofen getting pushed back. By getting a larger player that maybe resolved to some extent.

A more general point, is that blank team or unit sucked, so blank player has to suck. Given that logic the Pats would have never signed Wes Welker. The point of free agency, especially when you are not going to spend crazy is recognizing players who should fit what you are doing, and putting them in a situation to succeed.

I'm reading this as a negitive vote for this class of centers and back up insurance for the RG spot. I think Weary is gone.

Goldensilence
02-28-2008, 03:50 PM

but but...... what about Ted Ginn Jr?!

:specnatz:

Texan_Bill
02-28-2008, 03:52 PM
but but...... what about Ted Ginn Jr?!

:specnatz:

OUCH!! :whip:

eriadoc
02-28-2008, 04:46 PM
It would be nice to have some beef at Center, since we face Haynesworth, Stroud, and Henderson a combined 25% of the season. Watching our center get shoved into the pocket (or worse, turtled) gets old.

Texans_Chick
02-28-2008, 05:32 PM
It would be nice to have some beef at Center, since we face Haynesworth, Stroud, and Henderson a combined 25% of the season. Watching our center get shoved into the pocket (or worse, turtled) gets old.

I believe Stroud is getting permission to seek trades. (injured, missed games due to failed PED test).

Insideop
02-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Anyone know Hadnot's age and how long he's been in the league?

Errant Hothy
02-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Anyone know Hadnot's age and how long he's been in the league?

He's 26, and just completed his 4th season in the league.

Texans_Chick
02-28-2008, 05:37 PM

Agreed. We would also add that it is difficult to judge an offensive line when the quarterback situation is fubar like it has been in Miami.

Signed,
Houston Texans offensive line behind pre-Schaub/Rosenfels

Porky
02-28-2008, 05:56 PM
I remember Rex when he came out. Didn't he play here locally or somewhere in Texas? Sorry too lazy to look.

I'll say this much. I have complete faith in Alex Gibbs as a talent evualator on the oline. If he says he will work, he will work. He might not be a star or a pro-bowler, but we don't need that. We need someone relatively consistent, who doesn't get blown back into the QB's face every snap against big interior lineman. He doesn't have to be the second coming of Mike Webster to get the job done.

Errant Hothy
02-28-2008, 05:58 PM
I remember Rex when he came out. Didn't he play here locally or somewhere in Texas? Sorry too lazy to look.

I'll say this much. I have complete faith in Alex Gibbs as a talent evualator on the oline. If he says he will work, he will work. He might not be a star or a pro-bowler, but we don't need that. We need someone relatively consistent, who doesn't get blown back into the QB's face every snap against big interior lineman. He doesn't have to be the second coming of Mike Webster to get the job done.

Played at U of H.

CloakNNNdagger
02-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Agreed. We would also add that it is difficult to judge an offensive line when the quarterback situation is fubar like it has been in Miami.

Signed,
Houston Texans offensive line behind pre-Schaub/Rosenfels

Here is the devil's advocate (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/20907.html) part of the story.................However, again, the right system for the right player = pleasant surprise.

Lucky
02-29-2008, 11:54 AM
The price for free agents Centers just went up (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm), thanks to the Tampa Bay Bucs.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network and Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm#) report that the contract between the Bucs and center Jeff Faine is a six-year, $37.5 million deal, with $15 million in guaranteed money.
Faine will earn $20 million in the first three years of the deal.

WesmanTexanfan
02-29-2008, 11:55 AM
The price for free agents Centers just went up (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm), thanks to the Tampa Bay Bucs.

OMG

J-Russ
02-29-2008, 01:23 PM
We offered him a contract??

Hadnot already has a $10 million signing bonus +$5 million a year offer from Houston (some surprise there...they always pick up and overpay marginal Miami players such as Wade and Greenwood).

http://www.dolphinsnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212269&page=2

Can anyone confirm this?

Dallas_Texan
02-29-2008, 01:41 PM
We offered him a contract??

http://www.dolphinsnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212269&page=2

Can anyone confirm this?

That HAS to be cr@p. $10MM signing bonus?!?!?!?!?! How did they get this information and we haven't heard this? :spy:

ArlingtonTexan
02-29-2008, 01:53 PM
That HAS to be cr@p. $10MM signing bonus?!?!?!?!?! How did they get this information and we haven't heard this? :spy:

In reading the link, I did not see a source for the numbers, so could be out of thin air, but if you look at Faine's numbers 15 million guaranteed, then Hadnot who is consider anywhere from the 2nd to 6th best center is probably going to get around that amount.

nunusguy
02-29-2008, 01:54 PM
"Jeff Faine is a six-year, $37.5 million deal, with $15 million in guaranteed money."
WOW ! I'm familiar with the name, but anybody know how he ranks among his peers ? Please tell me he's the best center in the NFL.
You know it wasn't that long ago that 15M was serious LT money.

Vinny
02-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Some of you old guys saw his cousin RB James Hadnot play. I'm pretty glad we are looking at upgrading the middle of the line. Just looking at all angles here is a piece written about Hadnot a few months ago and he is described as a marginal talent with holes in his game...

It really pains me as a columnist to criticize Hadnot because he is the embodiment of everything that's right and good with the NFL. He worked hard to find his niche. He's a team player who accepted a demotion for the sake of the greater good. He's a leader who stays out of trouble and out of the limelight, yet has earned the respect of his teammates in the huddle.

Still, if Miami wants to return to respectability, he's likely the kind of marginal talent Parcells & Co. will have to upgrade in order to have a fighting chance. I truly hope Hadnot proves me wrong, but I have a feeling that he will soon be little more than a reserve player or a member of a different franchise.http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/20907.html

"Jeff Faine is a six-year, $37.5 million deal, with $15 million in guaranteed money."
WOW ! I'm familiar with the name, but anybody know how he ranks among his peers ? Please tell me he's the best center in the NFL.
You know it wasn't that long ago that 15M was serious LT money.
He was thought of as a promising ten year starter type of player prospect coming out of ND...he was an early disappointment but he has hung in there and is a pretty decent player now. I think he has some potential to be another Todd Wade type of overpay, but I'm sure he must have graded high on film last season to get that kind of a contract.

beerlover
02-29-2008, 09:35 PM
to have or to hadnot that is the question? I have a beer feeling a deal gets done within the next 24 hours, he's a perfect Gibbs overachiever for the Texans new line overhaul :cool:

J-Russ
02-29-2008, 09:49 PM
to have or to hadnot that is the question? I have a beer feeling a deal gets done within the next 24 hours, he's a perfect Gibbs overachiever for the Texans new line overhaul :cool:

Do you have inside source??

Also, do you think he'll replace Fred at the RG, or compete at the C?

ChampionTexan
02-29-2008, 09:54 PM
In reading the link, I did not see a source for the numbers, so could be out of thin air, but if you look at Faine's numbers 15 million guaranteed, then Hadnot who is consider anywhere from the 2nd to 6th best center is probably going to get around that amount.

Everything I've seen has Hadnot rated as a guard, and they have him rated from #2 (behind Faneca) to #5 among this years FA guards. That's consistently ahead of Justin Smiley who the Fins just signed for 5 years, $25Million including a $9Million bonus.

Based on the rankings, and giving Rick Smith, Kubes and Gibbs credit for some ability to determine what will fit into their system, the numbers on this deal (at least as described previously) fit right about where they should.

ArlingtonTexan
02-29-2008, 10:45 PM
Everything I've seen has Hadnot rated as a guard, and they have him rated from #2 (behind Faneca) to #5 among this years FA guards. That's consistently ahead of Justin Smiley who the Fins just signed for 5 years, $25Million including a $9Million bonus.

Based on the rankings, and giving Rick Smith, Kubes and Gibbs credit for some ability to determine what will fit into their system, the numbers on this deal (at least as described previously) fit right about where they should.

I have seen both sporting news and espn list him @ center and couple of other places guard, but I think that we have come to the same conclusion that the going rate for average to decent starting interior OLmen is somewhere around 10 million guaranteed.

beerlover
02-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Do you have inside source??

Also, do you think he'll replace Fred at the RG, or compete at the C?

I can tell you he was @ the Rockets game tonight with the Texans

&

he's from Houston & wants to play for the Texans.

versatile can play both guard/tackle, mean streak prototypical of players Gibbs gets excited about :splits:

beerlover
03-01-2008, 01:43 AM
this just in from Chron-

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5583729.html

Offensive lineman Rex Hadnot made it clear Friday night his visit with the Texans wasn't just because of its close proximity to his alma mater. But that is a bonus.

The former UH standout said he was also strongly attracted to the franchise. After spending the first four years of his pro career with the Dolphins — an organization that will open the 2008 season with its third head coach in three seasons — Hadnot likes the stability he sees with the Texans.

"This is definitely a step in the right direction for me," Hadnot said after spending Friday with the Texans. "It's a chance to play for an organization that has shown stability and continues to show progress and grow."

"I could also be back by the Cougars. Closer to the Lufkin Panthers. It'd be like coming full circle at a special time in my life."

Hadnot (6-2, 325 pounds) would compete for the starting center job next season. Steve McKinney and Chris White will also be back at that position after ending last season on the injured reserve.

"He wants to be a Texan. We want him to be a Texan," said Hadnot's agent, Brian Overstreet. "We hope he doesn't have to take his other visits. But you have to balance that against the financial side. We've made it clear that he wants to play for the Texans, and if the offer is good, we can get it done."

kastofsna
03-01-2008, 04:05 AM
Hadnot's a really good player, no doubt.

J-Russ
03-01-2008, 07:14 AM
Hadnot (6-2, 325 pounds) would compete for the starting center job next season. Steve McKinney and Chris White will also be back at that position after ending last season on the injured reserve.

Well that solves it. Now who's going to replace Freddy?

kastofsna, can you give us a scouting report on this guy?

Hardcore Texan
03-01-2008, 10:47 AM
this just in from Chron-

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5583729.html

Offensive lineman Rex Hadnot made it clear Friday night his visit with the Texans wasn't just because of its close proximity to his alma mater. But that is a bonus.

The former UH standout said he was also strongly attracted to the franchise. After spending the first four years of his pro career with the Dolphins — an organization that will open the 2008 season with its third head coach in three seasons — Hadnot likes the stability he sees with the Texans.

"This is definitely a step in the right direction for me," Hadnot said after spending Friday with the Texans. "It's a chance to play for an organization that has shown stability and continues to show progress and grow."

"I could also be back by the Cougars. Closer to the Lufkin Panthers. It'd be like coming full circle at a special time in my life."

"He wants to be a Texan. We want him to be a Texan," said Hadnot's agent, Brian Overstreet. "We hope he doesn't have to take his other visits. But you have to balance that against the financial side. We've made it clear that he wants to play for the Texans, and if the offer is good, we can get it done."

Sounds like this deal is going to happen, he really wants to be here.

Rex King
03-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Chron just posted:

"Free-agent lineman Hadnot to visit with Browns"

"He said he is unsure if there is still a chance that he could end up signing in Houston."

Listening to his agent on the radio Friday it sounded like he was looking for top-tier money, something Rick Smith indicated they're unlikely to be dishing out this year.

Texan in Japan
03-01-2008, 03:35 PM
I was pulling for Hadnot, but I guess his handlers believe he worth more given what Smiley and others are getting. Hopefully, we're able to sign him for a reasonable amount.

barrett
03-01-2008, 03:36 PM
i can't figure some of this out. i thought we were supposed to be in pretty good shape cap wise, i'm not saying we need to be giving out 60 million dollar deals but a few extra pennies here and there to pull the trigger. i know we were in bad shape last year so we only signed guys that weren't expensive (mostly). i'm not clear on our strategy.

bah007
03-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Hadnot isnt worth the bank. He's worth solid money, but thats about it.

Specnatz
03-01-2008, 03:46 PM
i can't figure some of this out. i thought we were supposed to be in pretty good shape cap wise, i'm not saying we need to be giving out 60 million dollar deals but a few extra pennies here and there to pull the trigger. i know we were in bad shape last year so we only signed guys that weren't expensive (mostly). i'm not clear on our strategy.

I am trying to figure out how the 49ers and Jags are able to spend so much money and we have yet to spend anything.

JayCee
03-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Was wondering the same myself. Apart from Turner (which I would be happy if it fell through), we are never mentioned as the front runner in talks with high profile FAs. Florence would have been nice.
49ers seem to be making endless signings.

Also, anyone heard anything on Demps?

aj.
03-01-2008, 03:55 PM
If someone told me a week ago that we would be on the verge of giving potentially 12+ million guaranteed to Rex Hadnot, I would have told them to get their head examined.

Oakland is breaking the bank and they will probably be drafting 1st again in '09. SF got worse with their 80 million dollar baby last year. Restraint at times like this can be a good thing.

Spending big bucks in free agency is punishment for drafting poorly.

GP
03-01-2008, 04:02 PM
I am trying to figure out how the 49ers and Jags are able to spend so much money and we have yet to spend anything.

Care for a refresher course on why I think we're the LA Clippers of the NFL? We make moves on marginally-talented players and try to tell ourselves that we found a great bargain. Todd Wade, for example. This is Todd Wade Part II.

LOL. There's still time to make some noise in FA...but I predicted that we wouldn't be utilizing all this HUGE CAP SPACE!!! that a few posters were trying to rally us around during the latter stages of last season.

Heck, we need the money to sign FAs off the street when our players get injured during the regular season. Anyone able to find out why we lead the league in injuries so often?

DiehardChris
03-01-2008, 04:04 PM
If someone told me a week ago that we would be on the verge of giving 12 million guaranteed to Rex Hadnot, I would have told them to get their head examined.

Oakland is breaking the bank and they will probably be drafting 1st again in '09. SF got worse with their 80 million dollar baby last year. Restraint at times like this can be a good thing.

Free agency is punishment for drafting poorly.

Yeah, everything he said.

Specnatz
03-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Care for a refresher course on why I think we're the LA Clippers of the NFL? We make moves on marginally-talented players and try to tell ourselves that we found a great bargain. Todd Wade, for example. This is Todd Wade Part II.

LOL. There's still time to make some noise in FA...but I predicted that we wouldn't be utilizing all this HUGE CAP SPACE!!! that a few posters were trying to rally us around during the latter stages of last season.

Heck, we need the money to sign FAs off the street when our players get injured during the regular season. Anyone able to find out why we lead the league in injuries so often?

No I do not want some self described rant in which someone spouts a bunch of crap that they cant prove or be disproved.

Oh and Todd wade was signed by casserly and has nothing to do with Smith or Kubiak your agenda is old and tiring.

ChampionTexan
03-01-2008, 04:15 PM
If someone told me a week ago that we would be on the verge of giving 12 million guaranteed to Rex Hadnot, I would have told them to get their head examined.

Amen!

If you look at this years NFC and AFC championship games, 3 of the 4 teams involved (GB, NYG and SD) did virtually nothing in free agency before the '07 season, and 2 of those 3 teams weren't thought to be contenders for a conference championship any more than the Texans are right now.

I'd love to see a big splash, just because quite frankly, this time of year is just real boring, but I couldn't agree more with the comment that if you're trying to make an 8-8 team a superbowl champion with free agency as a big part of your plan, you're likely fighting a losing battle.

Goldensilence
03-01-2008, 04:18 PM

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

Hate to burst your bubble but we don't have the HUGE cap space you're talking about. Even then no one is advocating NOT going after big name players but they're advocating SMART decisions with the cap space.

Draft smart and hire position mercenaries.

nunusguy
03-01-2008, 04:23 PM
If someone told me a week ago that we would be on the verge of giving potentially 12+ million guaranteed to Rex Hadnot, I would have told them to get their head examined.

Are they really talking about that kind of money for this guy ? Isn't he considered a fairly mediorce player relatively speaking ?

aj.
03-01-2008, 04:28 PM
I'm sure he was influenced by Faine's deal ... six years $37.5 million with $15 million in guaranteed money. I don't see any reason to do anyting near that for a player like Rex Hadnot.

I'm sure the agents miss Casserly around this time every year.

Insideop
03-01-2008, 04:42 PM

Good post aj. I have to agree with you on this. A lot of teams who go wild during FA may be doing it because they think, probably like SF, they only need a few more "experienced pieces" and they'll be a playoff or championship team. From what I've seen it usually doesn't work out that way.

If you look at the 49er's and the "tacks" last year, they were both in about the same position, as far as just falling short of making the playoffs and having alot of cap room. The 49er's chose to spend alot in FA while the "tacks" chose not to. As a matter of fact, they even let some of there better players walk rather than resign them. They did pick up a few FAs later like Moulds, but no real high $ FAs. The results speak for themselves. "Tacks" went to the playoffs and the 49er's are picking... well, they should've been picking 7th, but they screwed up again and traded with the "Pats."

Now I can't say it turns out like the above scenario all the time, but I will say I like the way Kubes and Smith are building this team through the Draft. If they continue to draft well, and I think they will, they will be building a team that should make deep runs into the playoffs (and maybe a championship or 2) year after year. JMHO!

Thorn
03-01-2008, 04:44 PM

I like that so much I just had to quote you on it.

But at the same time, when you are in a "building phase" which we are still in after five years, free agents are going to be a part of it.

aj.
03-01-2008, 04:58 PM
I can't take credit for the quote. It was a Packers front office guy who I heard say something like that the other night on NFLN. It rings true in so many cases. Wise words imo ... as long as there's a cap.

Fox
03-01-2008, 04:59 PM

QFT. Some people are going to complain either way. If we don't sign a solid but unspectacular player because they want top 5 (for their position) money, we're cheap. If we give in and roll the dice, people complain about us overpaying. I would've liked to have signed this guy, but if he was asking us to make him one of the richer centers in the league I'm really glad we passed.

ObsiWan
03-01-2008, 05:25 PM

Dude, you should, like copywrite that phrase. Its classic.

kastofsna
03-01-2008, 07:03 PM
no one gets rewarded for having the most cap space at the end of free agency.

ArlingtonTexan
03-01-2008, 07:08 PM

but they do get punished in 2009. 2010, 2011 etc. for using that cap space unwisely.

dalemurphy
03-01-2008, 07:09 PM

If they draft well, the reward is being able to lock up your guys on their second contracts and have room to maneuver each year to fill needs.

Maddict5
03-01-2008, 07:14 PM

well you can accelerate bonuses etc to this yr right and then in future years you can re-sign your own FA's and possibly make a run at some of the bigger FA's when you're a contender

funny how the good teams (bar CLE/PHI possibly) have been quiet when the bad ones are doing all the spending:thinking:

ATXtexanfan
03-01-2008, 09:02 PM
some teams are desperate to get over the hump, did you see what the vikings gave berrian, wow

RipTraxx
03-01-2008, 09:05 PM
This was the smartest SIGNING yet.

beerlover
03-01-2008, 09:12 PM
was under the impression a deal would get done. Texans may have pulled out because of guaranteed money demands.

CloakNNNdagger
03-01-2008, 09:16 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if the Brown try to offer Hadnot something just above Houston's offer but not anywhere close to Faine's contract. If that's the case, I'm sure he will comeback to the Texans to better or match the deal. If it's not much more than the Texans', expect Hadnot to become a Texan.

Errant Hothy
03-02-2008, 07:26 AM
The Texans didn't make Rex Hadnot an offer. That means something happened during the visit. Perhaps it was money. Perhaps it wasn't. Anyway, he left Houston for Cleveland. Several teams are interested in Hadnot.

I still think the Texans will look for another center who also can play guard. I'm not sure who it is, though. Stay tuned.

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/02/texans_keep_davis_set_sights_o.html

One would think it was more then likely a money issuse, espically after seeing how much interior liemen have been getting. I'll be curious as to how much he deos sign for.

edo783
03-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Most likely it had to do with the length of the contract and the amount of guaranteed money. His agent might have over sold him on what he would be worth in the market place. Didn't the Browns just spend a boatload on Fanica? If so, I doubt they will spend another boatload on Hadnot. Once he learns what he is really worth he might be back unless his ego gets in the way and he or his agent don't want to admit an error, if they have actually made one.

TexanAddict
03-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Most likely it had to do with the length of the contract and the amount of guaranteed money. His agent might have over sold him on what he would be worth in the market place. Didn't the Browns just spend a boatload on Fanica? If so, I doubt they will spend another boatload on Hadnot. Once he learns what he is really worth he might be back unless his ego gets in the way and he or his agent don't want to admit an error, if they have actually made one.

Nope, it was the Jets.

nfl.com (http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/story?id=09000d5d806f9e66&template=with-video&confirm=true)

DiehardChris
03-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Most likely it had to do with the length of the contract and the amount of guaranteed money.

See, that's not enough of a reason for the Texans to not even offer him a contract. Even if his initial demands were ridiculous, any team that wants a specific guy would still at least make an offer. Something bad must have happened during the visiting/interview portion of the day. Someone must have said something, done something, or had different expectations. Maybe he wanted an absolute guarantee that he would be the starting center regardless of Steve McKinney's health, and he refused to move to guard for as long as McKinney was healthy? Who knows. But for them to not even make an offer, I promise you it was more than just a money issue.

CloakNNNdagger
03-02-2008, 01:05 PM
I got it from a reliable source that Hadnot was looking at the Faneca deal of 8million a year for 5 years (40 million) with a 21 million guaranteed and was looking for a 5 million a year 5 year deal with a "proportionate" guaranteed allocation, which would be in the neighborhood of 13 million. Although the "potential" of upcoaching him and being a better system fit, you still have to keep in mind all the penalties he generated for the Fins including his weekly contributions of false starts. That would be getting close to a Casserly deal.

Honoring Earl 34
03-02-2008, 01:08 PM
I got it from a reliable source that Hadnot was looking at the Faneca deal of 8million a year for 5 years (40 million) with a 21 million guaranteed and was looking for a 5 million a year 5 year deal with a "proportionate" guaranteed allocation, which would be in the neighborhood of 13 million. Although the "potential" of upcoaching him and being a better system fit, you still have to keep in mind all the penalties he generated for the Fins including his weekly contributions of false starts. That would be getting close to a Casserly deal.

I heard his agent on the radio and he sounded like Roger Clemens agent after Clemens ( no rocket here ) was leaving Toronto .

He would love to come home blah blah blah . What he wanted was a huge contract and signed with the Yankees .

Insideop
03-02-2008, 02:19 PM

You know, this is kinda what bothered me about Hadnot. Miami made no attempt to resign him. Why? Is it only because he doesn't fit their new system (whatever that will be), or are there other reasons? Just curious. Sure don't want us making any more "Casserly deals."

aj.
03-02-2008, 05:08 PM

Nice philosophy but I'm not sure that's relevant here. The Texans have traditionally bumped right up against the cap limit every year and I'm sure this year will be no different. Considering where this team's at, I'd rather see our cap margin spent on several moderately priced players with average or better talent, instead of a couple guys looking for their golden parachutes.

Maddict5
03-05-2008, 01:51 PM
cleveland didnt bite either... we might see him in a texans uni yet ON OUR TERMS :)

Rex Hadnot-C- Dolphins Mar. 5 - 12:07 pm et

Free agent guard Rex Hadnot is visiting with the Steelers today.

Hadnot would join with incumbent Chris Kemoeatu to try to fill the gaping hole at left guard after Alan Faneca's departure to the Jets.
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

El Tejano
03-05-2008, 02:04 PM
How much money do the Steelers have?

TheRealJoker
03-05-2008, 02:04 PM
I'd like to have him here if his ego comes back down to earth and he takes what he is worth.

Maddict5
03-05-2008, 02:10 PM
How much money do the Steelers have?

very little

CloakNNNdagger
03-05-2008, 02:56 PM
The Dolphins didn't avoid re-signing him because he couldn't play.........and he could still fit Parcell's slot of an OL (although he would fit ours better)................it was that he expected to much guaranteed money..............the word was evidently out there that he would not budge off of his expectations.

He is not a slug. (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-rex022108,0,3792129.story):

In a year where the Dolphins have approximately $35 million in cap space, re-signing Hadnot seemed to be a high priority. His in-line blocking, effectiveness as a pulling guard and versatility made him the most valuable of last year's starting unit. Also, the Dolphins have critical needs at tackle and guard.

He could, indeed come back, officially or unofficially with an offer appealing to the Texans.

Errant Hothy
03-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Hadnot update:
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Texans | Hadnot does not receive contract offer from Houston
Wed, 5 Mar 2008 15:15:00 -0800

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports free-agent OL Rex Hadnot (Dolphins) left his visit with the Houston Texans without a contract offer. The Texans said while they did not offer Hadnot a contract immediately, they have not ruled out the possibility of signing him. "We decided at this point in time not to extend a contract offer, but that doesn't preclude us from doing so in the future," Texans general manager Rick Smith said. Hadnot is looking for a deal of about $5 million per season.

DiehardChris
03-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Uh, okay - if that's true then clearly it was always about money, LOL. Five million!

TEXANRED
03-05-2008, 05:59 PM
$5 million? A season? How many probowls and rings does he have? None.

Somebody tell him that his name is Hadnot not Todd Wade.

edo783
03-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Heard on the radio on the way home that the Browns & Steelers were supposidly making offers, according to his agent. If they paid 5 million a year.........

drewmar74
03-05-2008, 06:49 PM
If they paid 5 million a year.........

Then they can have him. More power to them, too.

beerlover
03-05-2008, 07:21 PM
I forget but how much are they paying McKinney? or did he recently restructure his contract? seems a little on the high side but not excessive for a position of need. maybe he accepts a hometown discount if they made an offer in the 1st place.

infantrycak
03-05-2008, 07:27 PM
I forget but how much are they paying McKinney? or did he recently restructure his contract? seems a little on the high side but not excessive for a position of need. maybe he accepts a hometown discount if they made an offer in the 1st place.

Mckinney is in the 3rd year of a 4 year $9 mil deal. His cap hit this year is $500k prorated signing bonus and $1.35 salary for a total of $1.85 mil. In other words, he is cheap.

beerlover
03-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Mckinney is in the 3rd year of a 4 year $9 mil deal. His cap hit this year is $500k prorated signing bonus and $1.35 salary for a total of $1.85 mil. In other words, he is cheap.

thanks. so 5 would be out of the park, I understand. maybe something around 4, Andre Davis took less money (4 mil compared to 5 mil from Oakland) to remain a Texan. seems like the players are excited now to be part of something special here in Houston.

TheRealJoker
03-05-2008, 08:25 PM
His agent needs to contact the Raiders if he wants 5 million a year.

CloakNNNdagger
03-05-2008, 08:48 PM
And many of you wouldn't accept it when I 1st reported (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=856134&postcount=72)that money was the sticking point.:shades:

TEXANRED
03-05-2008, 09:05 PM
And many of you wouldn't accept it when I 1st reported (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=856134&postcount=72)that money was the sticking point.:shades:

Well you do get on here and spam your agenda at times.

:jk: :includeme:

Kaiser Toro
03-05-2008, 09:25 PM

I counted exactly zero folks that would not accept your statement. It was on the last page for crying out loud.

Unless there is a secret portal within Texans Talk that I am not aware of, since the last one was closed by Hook'em with the migration, and y'all are having parallel dialogue through back channels and bifurcated meanings then I am not going to give you a banana dancing on a piano. No! You will get the specnatz :specnatz:

Dance! :specnatz: Dance! :specnatz: Dance! :specnatz:

Texans_Chick
03-05-2008, 09:46 PM
His agent needs to contact the Raiders if he wants 5 million a year.

I dunno.

The free agent market for centers is nuts this year.

The Bucs made Jeff Freaking Faine the highest paid center in the league this year. Does anyone think Jeff Faine is the best center in the league?

CloakNNNdagger
03-05-2008, 10:23 PM
I counted exactly zero folks that would not accept your statement. It was on the last page for crying out loud.

Unless there is a secret portal within Texans Talk that I am not aware of, since the last one was closed by Hook'em with the migration, and y'all are having parallel dialogue through back channels and bifurcated meanings then I am not going to give you a banana dancing on a piano. No! You will get the specnatz :specnatz:

:backsout:

eriadoc
03-05-2008, 10:23 PM
If only he Hadnot demanded so much!

*rimshot*

*ugh*

Kaiser Toro
03-05-2008, 10:25 PM

*rimshot*

*ugh*

I Hadnot thought about that.

CloakNNNdagger
03-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Well you do get on here and spam your agenda at times.

:jk: :includeme:

And I agree with you.........Kill the bum!:gun:

Specnatz
03-05-2008, 11:17 PM

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o195/Specnatz/darnit.gif

Wolf
03-06-2008, 12:21 AM
I Hadnot thought about that.

If Rick Smith hadnot taken over for Charlie Casserly. we'd paid that am't

I feel the urge..

:splits:

but not enough to get the piano LOL

DiehardChris
03-06-2008, 12:24 AM

*rimshot*

*ugh*

LOL... I think you just extended this thread by a thousand posts. hahaha

TheRealJoker
03-06-2008, 07:44 AM
100 :whip:

TEXANRED
03-06-2008, 04:22 PM
LOL... I think you just extended this thread by a thousand posts. hahaha

If only you Hadnot made that statement.

The Pencil Neck
03-06-2008, 05:04 PM
If only you Hadnot made that statement.

Just another way to separate the hads from the hadnots.

b0ng
03-06-2008, 08:04 PM
This thread would be much better if you guys Hadnot hit the "Post Reply" button.

gary
03-06-2008, 08:08 PM
This thread would be much better if you guys Hadnot hit the "Post Reply" button. LOL.

Pantherstang84
03-06-2008, 09:19 PM
This thread would be much better if you guys Hadnot hit the "Post Reply" button.

Geeeez. I love the off season.

DiehardChris
03-06-2008, 09:43 PM
If Hadnot had not had knot-tying training as a child, he wouldn't be able to tie his shoelaces.

(I'm sorry)

mexican_texan
03-06-2008, 09:48 PM
If Hadnot had not had knot-tying training as a child, he wouldn't be able to tie his shoelaces.

(I'm sorry)
I had not even thought of that.

The Pencil Neck
03-06-2008, 11:26 PM
I had not even thought of that.

And I wish I had not had the thought of before Hadnot had knots.

cuppacoffee
03-07-2008, 12:32 AM
If I just hadnot cliked on this thread I would have missed all this.

Malloy
03-07-2008, 04:10 AM

(I'm sorry)

Not hadnot-related enough!

eriadoc
03-07-2008, 10:47 AM
:heart: this thread!

ObsiWan
03-07-2008, 11:04 AM
That's IT!
there had not be any more Hadnot puns or somebody'll be saying "you didn't had dem knots in your head before...!"
:bat:

Hardcore Texan
03-07-2008, 11:08 AM
I think Hadnot has not had a knot on his head like the knot he will have if he doesn't sign with the Texans after Mario and Amobi get through with him. It will be a knot that Hadnot could have not had altogether.

eriadoc
03-07-2008, 11:33 AM
I swear there's a Don Knotts had not had knots joke in here somewhere ......

El Tejano
03-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Rex Handnot to Media :

I would've signed with The Texans if their fans Hadnot made this thread.

Texan_Bill
03-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Rex Handnot to Media :

Thanks for the update. I had not heard anything lately.

drewmar74
03-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Rex Handnot to Media :

Wow. I think the guy had potential. Makes me wish I hadnot participated.

Errant Hothy
03-07-2008, 11:57 AM
I had not noticed that this thread was so funny. I also has not noticed it had gotten so far off track.

DiehardChris
03-07-2008, 05:34 PM
From Rotoworld (www.rotoworld.com):

The Titans hosted G/C Rex Hadnot for a free agent visit Friday.
Hadnot was initially seeking a deal worth $5 million per year, but has likely lowered his asking price. He'd play left guard in Tennessee.

I would hope that if he's going to lower his asking price, we'd give him another look... though I'd rather have Jake Scott because he's more suited to ZBS.

J-Russ
03-07-2008, 06:05 PM
I wish Texan's fans hadnot been so fond of puns.

drewmar74
03-07-2008, 07:15 PM
I wish Texan's fans hadnot been so fond of puns.

I wish you hadnot been so critical or we might have hit it off.

Maddict5
03-07-2008, 08:21 PM
:gun: please

CloakNNNdagger
03-07-2008, 09:07 PM
To all my fellow MBers, may you find an alternative means to purge yourselves, preferably not here........maybe the toilet...........and please do not forget to flush. :lightning:

drewmar74
03-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Oh, c'mon.

With so few FA signings (and that's not a bad thing) we hadnot had much else to talk about.

Sorry.

I couldn't help myself.

ObsiWan
03-07-2008, 10:31 PM
To all my fellow MBers, may you find an alternative means to purge yourselves, preferably not here........maybe the toilet...........and please do not forget to flush. :lightning:

I thought
you had a good sense of humor and
were not so critical
:hides:

HJam72
03-08-2008, 12:11 AM
I would've commented, but I had not read this thread. idonno:

HOU-TEX
03-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Hadnot's going to the Browns.

Hadnot’s agent, Brian Overstreet, told The Palm Beach Post this afternoon Hadnot has agreed to terms with the Browns.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/miamidolphins/entries/2008/03/10/browns_finally_give_hadnot_a_h.html?cxntfid=blogs_ inside_the_dolphins

DiehardChris
03-10-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm fine with that. I guess our offer for John Wade just got bigger.

mexican_texan
03-10-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm fine with that. I guess our offer for John Wade just got bigger.
I hope not.

Ole Miss Texan
03-10-2008, 05:26 PM
The Browns are building quite the formidable offensive line. Of course, it wouldn't be so strong HADtheyNOT drafted Joe Thomas.

drewmar74
03-10-2008, 05:58 PM
The Browns are building quite the formidable offensive line. Of course, it wouldn't be so strong HADtheyNOT drafted Joe Thomas.

Me, I just wish he hadnot signed with the brownies....

TheRealJoker
03-10-2008, 06:13 PM
I wonder if the Browns Hadnot signed this new O-lineman would they have paid a similar price for another OL in FA?

texdawg
03-10-2008, 08:22 PM
I had not seen this one coming.

sorry

The Browns O-line was lucky last year to not have any serious injuries. Remember 2 years ago when the Browns went through 4 or 5 centers? This guy seems to be a depth type signing.

I have no idea where all the money is coming from. But, its not like the Browns have to worry about signing top draft picks.

Did you guys know that the highest paid Browns player last year was Pontribrand, the long snapper? He was paid almost 9mil. This year his salary is very minimal. That is cap management. Pay big when you can afford and work out minimal contracts that are cap friendly.

This years signings have been unusual to say the least. But as a long suffering fan, I gotta love the "all in" stance the Browns have adopted for the upcoming season.

TEXANRED
03-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Well I guess he Hadnot liked Houston as much as he said.