PDA

View Full Version : C C Brown Tendered as a Second Rounder

Texans Pride
02-28-2008, 12:08 AM
Although C.C. Brown was drafted in the sixth round, the Houston Texans believe their starting strong safety is worth a second-round pick from another team on the open market.

That is the tender offer Brown was given Wednesday as a restricted free agent, FOXSports.com has learned.
Chosen in 2005 out of Louisiana-Lafayette, Brown has started 44 of a possible 48 games in his three NFL seasons. Brown had his best campaign in 2007, finishing with career-highs in tackles (83), passes defensed (8) and fumbles caused and recovered (5).

With the second-round tender, Brown is now guaranteed a $1.4 million base salary from Houston for the 2008 season.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7849038/Source:-Texans-give-2nd-round-tender-to-Brown#tb

Could this be Houston's attempt at gaining a second round pick back...HMMMMMMMMMM

kiwitexansfan
02-28-2008, 12:16 AM
Hmmmm that might be in their thinking but no one in their right mind is going to offer a second for CC Brown surely.

Then again $1.4m for your starting S isn't terrible money. Anyone who starts 44 of 48 games in the National Football League must be ok surely.

Lucky
02-28-2008, 12:16 AM
I'm rubbing my jaw from the high velocity collision with the floor. I was hoping for the extra 6th round pick.

Blondie once said that dreaming is free. But it just cost the Texans $1.4 million.

TexanSam
02-28-2008, 12:25 AM
I don't know if I would be happy or not if he was signed by another team. We would get our second rounder back, but our crappy secondary would become even crappier...

That said he's not worth anywhere near a 2nd round pick IMO

bah007
02-28-2008, 12:26 AM
I cant see any GM outside of Matt Millen giving a 2nd for Brown.

kiwitexansfan
02-28-2008, 12:29 AM

How 'bout da RRRaiders??

They are disatisfied with their safeties and they have a senile old man in charge..... Can we ask CC's agent to give Al a call.

TEXANS84
02-28-2008, 12:32 AM

Parcells was extremely high on CC coming out of college.

bah007
02-28-2008, 12:33 AM
Parcells was extremely high on CC coming out of college.

For a 2nd rounder he wont be.

Maddict5
02-28-2008, 06:16 AM
i remember reading demeco say something last year that surprised me- something along the lines of: 'we need more leaders like dunta and CC..'

i just thought it was interesting that he was looked at as a leader like that

CC's stats are decent and its a weak year for S in the draft so you never know.. plus those draft picks are negotiable so it might land us a 3rd or 4th yet even if nobody gives a 2nd

aj.
02-28-2008, 06:30 AM
It's one of those deals where he's worth more than a 6th but less than a 2nd and in his case, there's nothing in-between in terms of RFA tenders.

Low tender is $927k, which could have been low enough to attract another team with a 6th to spare. But even though they have first right of refusal I guess the Texans decided to spend an extra 500k that they would probably have had to spend anyway in a counter-offer situation to keep him off the market.

There's a good chance Demps is gone so I guess they wanted to make sure they kept at least one of their experienced safeties in the house. $1.4 isn't crazy money - even for C.C - as long as it remains a one year deal at that price.

TheRealJoker
02-28-2008, 07:19 AM
Where there's a Millen there's a way!!!

ObsiWan
02-28-2008, 07:23 AM
from this casual fan's POV this seems like a genius move.

if someone likes him enough to make him an offer, then we get a 1st day pick.

If no offer is made, C.C. re-signs for what the Texans decide to offer him.

Can we do that with Andre Davis? I'm just askin'.....

ObsiWan
02-28-2008, 07:23 AM
Where there's a Millen there's a way!!!

Joker! Where you been, dude?

Kaiser Toro
02-28-2008, 07:25 AM
Starting Safety for his first three years who is a character guy that costs us ~1/116th of our cap seems like a bargain to me. The real cost is a roster spot.

Lastly, I have always felt that Safeties get better with age. I cannot qualify that, just a feel.

The1ApplePie
02-28-2008, 08:10 AM
How 'bout da RRRaiders??

They are disatisfied with their safeties and they have a senile old man in charge..... Can we ask CC's agent to give Al a call.

Trade CC for Huff straight up and re-sign Demps

CB 1: Bennet
CB 2: Drafted guy
IR CB: Dunta
FS: Huff
SS: Demps

V Man
02-28-2008, 08:12 AM
I thought he did some much better when he finally got moved back to his natural position SS. Not a bad move by the Texans.

chicagotexan2
02-28-2008, 08:17 AM
Maybe they left out the 1 in front of the 2? @nd for CC? Hopefully Snyder or Al Davis will step up to the plate.

Errant Hothy
02-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Although C.C. Brown was drafted in the sixth round, the Houston Texans believe their starting strong safety is worth a second-round pick from another team on the open market.

That is the tender offer Brown was given Wednesday as a restricted free agent, FOXSports.com has learned.
Chosen in 2005 out of Louisiana-Lafayette, Brown has started 44 of a possible 48 games in his three NFL seasons. Brown had his best campaign in 2007, finishing with career-highs in tackles (83), passes defensed (8) and fumbles caused and recovered (5).

With the second-round tender, Brown is now guaranteed a $1.4 million base salary from Houston for the 2008 season.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7849038/Source:-Texans-give-2nd-round-tender-to-Brown#tb

Could this be Houston's attempt at gaining a second round pick back...HMMMMMMMMMM

Kubiak has been high on CC since he got here, and I think it would be safe to assume that Rick Smith likes him as well.

Whenn CC plays SS I have no issues with his game at all, it's that he has been forced to play FS at times; and it's at the FS position that CC looks the most out of place.

Goldensilence
02-28-2008, 08:39 AM
I think it's begining to look like Kubiak and Smith aren't looking for the athletic ball hawking type of safeties most of us prefer. Looks like they want their safeties more to enforce the middle of the field, help in run support, and as a back thought if they can help consistantly in pass defense(more of a zone scheme).

The move on C.C. isn't bad long as they keep him at SS. They got to keep Demps in the fold now IMO.

If we don't sign someone in FA for CB i'm now starting to think that's where we are going with our #1 unless someone like Clady unexpectedly drops somehow to 18.If williams is there might tab him too but otherwise I'm almost expecting CB.

nunusguy
02-28-2008, 08:41 AM
It's one of those deals where he's worth more than a 6th but less than a 2nd and in his case, there's nothing in-between in terms of RFA tenders.

OK so that's what's happening here 'cause a 2nd rounder seemed pretty strong for CC. Appreciate the explanation.

badboy
02-28-2008, 08:59 AM
I think it is a pretty smart move. Kubes has always liked our D backs.

Porky
02-28-2008, 09:04 AM
CC Sucks. I'll give em a 72 Hank Aaron card in trade. He is easily replacable. He is barely worth a 6th rounder much less a 2nd rounder.

Maddict5
02-28-2008, 09:04 AM
There's a good chance Demps is gone so I guess they wanted to make sure they kept at least one of their experienced safeties in the house. $1.4 isn't crazy money - even for C.C - as long as it remains a one year deal at that price.

gut feeling or something on the grapevine?

infantrycak
02-28-2008, 09:14 AM
If no offer is made, C.C. re-signs for what the Texans decide to offer him.

No--he has been tendered the $1.4 mil contract. If he doesn't sign with another team, he will sign that contract.

Can we do that with Andre Davis? I'm just askin'.....

No--AD is an unrestricted free agent vs. CC who was a restricted free agent. The restriction is the ability of the team to make these varying tender offers, receive the right to match a contract offer from another team or receive draft pick compensation.

TexansMVP
02-28-2008, 09:37 AM
gut feeling or something on the grapevine?

Here's something I came across yesterday. Hopefully it's not true.

Among safeties, New England's Eugene Wilson -- who also can play cornerback -- is on Miami's radar. Former Giants and Texans safety Will Demps wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with Miami, an associate said.

http://www.miamiherald.com/1262/story/434805.html

Errant Hothy
02-28-2008, 10:01 AM

How does Demps saying that Wilson might end up in Miami, mean that Demps might leave the Texans?

But then again I could be reading it wrong.

Hardcore Texan
02-28-2008, 10:05 AM

Low tender is $927k, which could have been low enough to attract another team with a 6th to spare. But even though they have first right of refusal I guess the Texans decided to spend an extra 500k that they would probably have had to spend anyway in a counter-offer situation to keep him off the market.

Good explanation.

Starting Safety for his first three years who is a character guy that costs us ~1/116th of our cap seems like a bargain to me. The real cost is a roster spot.

Lastly, I have always felt that Safeties get better with age. I cannot qualify that, just a feel.

This is they way I see it as well. I like CC and I think he still has untapped upside.

Insideop
02-28-2008, 10:11 AM
How does Demps saying that Wilson might end up in Miami, mean that Demps might leave the Texans?

You're reading it the wrong way HB, I think. They're saying Demps might end up playing in Miami. At least that's the way I understood it.

Errant Hothy
02-28-2008, 10:15 AM
You're reading it the wrong way HB, I think. They're saying Demps might end up playing in Miami. At least that's the way I understood it.

Maybe I am.

If we lose Demps, and keep CC who plays FS? With Earl coming back do they move CC back to FS? Did Harrison or Mitchell show something over the year that makes the team think that one of them can play the other safety spot? It's not like this is a strong FA class of draft class for center-field type safeties. That is assuming that the Texans want a centerfeild type FS.

Mr. White
02-28-2008, 10:20 AM

I'm starting to feel sick. I might need to leave work.

Could they have tendered Demps?

Not really surprised to hear it. I've heard it mentioned on 610 once a couple of months ago. Sounds like they were never planning on keeping him.

CoastalTexan
02-28-2008, 10:22 AM
IIRC Kubiak wants Harrison to play Free Safety. He got off to a slow start last year by not playing in the spring with the team and then getting injured. We will see what he has this season hopefully.

eriadoc
02-28-2008, 10:27 AM
He may not be worth a second round pick, but he's definitely worth more than the 6th rounder we spent on him. He's a character guy, who seems to be paid appropriately, and he's pretty productive. I think we would talk about him a lot less if he were paired with a good safety opposite him. Regardless, he's already proven what he is at the NFL level, though he may still improve some. A drafted rookie, even in the 2nd round, is much moreso a roll of the dice.

infantrycak
02-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Could they have tendered Demps?

No. The only people who are subject to RFA rules and tenders are players who (a) have acquired three seasons in the league and (b) are not under contract. Four+ years and you go straight to UFA. Sign a four+ year rookie contract and you will never be a RFA (assuming you play out the contract).

Maddict5
02-28-2008, 10:31 AM

lol

i would've repped you if it was intentoional

badboy
02-28-2008, 10:53 AM
IIRC Kubiak wants Harrison to play Free Safety. He got off to a slow start last year by not playing in the spring with the team and then getting injured. We will see what he has this season hopefully.You may be right but he is pretty big for for a FS. His speed is from 4.58 to 4.68. He is a tweener and I'd be ok with him if we get a fast CB to augment Bennett.

Dallas_Texan
02-28-2008, 10:59 AM
IIRC Kubiak wants Harrison to play Free Safety. He got off to a slow start last year by not playing in the spring with the team and then getting injured. We will see what he has this season hopefully.

I still want to keep Demps if at all possible. If anything, we need Depth in the secondary more than anywhere. Not to mention said his priority with our team is to "Not let good players leave". That would be a mistake.

hookinreds

Quick, someone start a Will Demps for Ricky Williams sign and trade thread and see what kind of churn we could get out of it.

Maddict5
You may be right but he is pretty big for for a FS. His speed is from 4.58 to 4.68.

Doesn't matter really. Ed Reed ran a 4.67 and 4.70 at the combine iirc. he can still cover though :)

Dallas_Texan
02-28-2008, 11:00 AM
You may be right but he is pretty big for for a FS. His speed is from 4.58 to 4.68. He is a tweener and I'd be ok with him if we get a fast CB to augment Bennett.

That's a HUGE 'if'.

El Tejano
02-28-2008, 11:14 AM
I like the deal. CC had an increasing year last year and we saw him get better primarily because he moved back to SS. He is pretty valuable to the team and you don't really want to lose him. If we didn't tender, he becomes unrestricted and we run the risk of losing a veteran player, that had been dependable injury wise, and knows the system as a SS and FS. He brings depth either way. Tendering the dude, makes sure he stays home with us. Hopefully Demps can get signed and we can focus on Andre Davis.

BigBull17
02-28-2008, 11:23 AM

Yeah, C.C is in that no mans land, where a 6th is terrible but next to no one will give a 2nd. Unless its Miami, Parcells loved him in the draft.

badboy
02-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Am I wrong in thinking that Texans can sign CC then trade him for less than a second? if so, a team may be willing to offer a 4th.

PapaL
02-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Am I wrong in thinking that Texans can sign CC then trade him for less than a second? if so, a team may be willing to offer a 4th.

Something like that. We can agree with team X that instead of their 2nd round pick they could give us their fourth. They then could sign him to an offer sheet.

HOU-TEX
02-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Something like that. We can agree with team X that instead of their 2nd round pick they could give us their fourth. They then could sign him to an offer sheet.

I'd take a 4th for him in a heartbeat. Maybe even a 5th. :thinking:

Errant Hothy
02-28-2008, 12:07 PM

Then if we lose Demps who are the starting Safeties?

austintexanite
02-28-2008, 12:15 PM
I thought CC played solid in the second half of the season. I guess it's no coincidence that is when Demps started getting into the lineup as well, anyway, I do hear the Raiders are shopping Huff around. Maybe we could trade then straight up?? (hopeful, but severely doubt it.)

Spike
02-28-2008, 12:24 PM
I think this move is consistent with the basic strategy of the Texans - You can't just let a player go, unless you know how you are going to replace him. I agree that a second rounder seems a little steep for CC, but if he goes we will have to find a way to replace a three year starter. A second round pick puts you in a situation where you can find such a player.

Personally, I think there is a lot to be said for maintaining a continuity from one year to the next. CC isn't the best player in our secondary, but he isn't the biggest problem either. He now has experience in our system at both safety positions, is considered a leader on the team and is a good character guy - why let this guy go? Maybe I am optimistic, but I think if we can keep Demps, shore up the other CB position with a solid starter and develop at least one of the safety picks from last year who missed the entire season, the backfield should be able to hold up.

TheRealJoker
02-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Joker! Where you been, dude?

I've still been around, just not posting as much.

hookinreds
02-28-2008, 12:57 PM

And do what with it? What are we going to replace CC with, a 4th or 5th round S, or in FA for more $$? I say keep him and use the $$ somewhere else.

badboy
02-28-2008, 01:39 PM
And do what with it? What are we going to replace CC with, a 4th or 5th round S, or in FA for more $$? I say keep him and use the $$ somewhere else.How about Josh Barrett in 4th?
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=15066or Tom Zbikowski that might be there in 4th?http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=15939

ChampionTexan
02-28-2008, 01:43 PM
I really believe that all the Texans are saying that they genuinely want CC back, and he fits in their plans for the immediate future - not let's sign him and trade him for a post-second round pick.

I don't like the idea of a 4th (or even 5th?) round pick as a sign and trade deal at all. At worst, CC is quality depth in the secondary. At a more realistic level, he's a potential starter, familiar with multiple positions, a leader, and the kind of guy I want on the field and in the locker room.

If you're telling me that you can feel comfortable replacing that with a 4th round pick (or even 5th?), fine, I'll tell you that I'm not. To top it all off, it's not like we have an abundance of talent (or even bodies) at the position. If we lose CC, we'll have to sign/draft one more safety that will need to be capable of playing right away. Even if Harrison comes on next year (a gamble), CC's still going to be spending plenty time on the field assuming he's here. This is in contrast to Andre Davis where if you lose him (which I really hope we don't), you realistically figure that between AJ, Walters and JJ, it's unlikely anyone you add gets on the field much anyway.

HOU-TEX
02-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Then if we lose Demps who are the starting Safeties?

And do what with it? What are we going to replace CC with, a 4th or 5th round S, or in FA for more $$? I say keep him and use the $$ somewhere else.

Why are y'all acting like he's irreplaceable? I guess I don't understand the love for mediocrity (Dayne, CC, Kalu, Maddox, etc). We have Earl, Harrison, Mitchell, etc to replace him if the draft was unable to fill the spot.

IMO, we know what CC can do which is average at best. If I were given the chance to get something in return for an average player, I would do it.

This is all moot anyways because I highly doubt any team would persue CC anyways.

:texflag:

Errant Hothy
02-28-2008, 01:48 PM
Why are y'all acting like he's irreplaceable? I guess I don't understand the love for mediocrity (Dayne, CC, Kalu, Maddox, etc). We have Earl, Harrison, Mitchell, etc to replace him if the draft was unable to fill the spot.

IMO, we know what CC can do which is average at best. If I were given the chance to get something in return for an average player, I would do it.

This is all moot anyways because I highly doubt any team would persue CC anyways.

Earl = WORSE then CC

Harrison = zero expeirence

Mitchell = even less expeirence then Harrison

Von = got replaced by Demps

Not only do I think CC is better then you give him credit for, it's obvious that the team does as well.

bah007
02-28-2008, 01:49 PM
How about Josh Barrett in 4th?
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=15066or Tom Zbikowski that might be there in 4th?http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=15939

After his combine, I doubt Barrett lasts through the 2nd round.

TexansSeminole
02-28-2008, 01:53 PM
After his combine, I doubt Barrett lasts through the 2nd round.

I dunno about that. He didn't exactly have the best senior year when he was healthy, plus he is coming off a knee injury.

bah007
02-28-2008, 01:57 PM
I dunno about that. He didn't exactly have the best senior year when he was healthy, plus he is coming off a knee injury.

The guy showed what he could do his junior year.

Then started off bad his senior year, so they benched him a little bit, and he finished strong before missing the last two games.

TexansSeminole
02-28-2008, 01:59 PM
The guy showed what he could do his junior year.

Then started off bad his senior year, so they benched him a little bit, and he finished strong before missing the last two games.

That's true, we'll see. The lack of quality in the safeties this year could push him up too.

ArlingtonTexan
02-28-2008, 01:59 PM

He is not irreplaceable, but from a cost/value standpoint you don't replace him w/o a better option which none of those guys you named represent.

bah007
02-28-2008, 02:03 PM
That's true, we'll see. The lack of quality in the safeties this year could push him up too.

Agreed.

Mr. White
02-28-2008, 02:08 PM
I don't think that CC's all that bad. I think he's gotten a bad rap.

The defensive backfield as a unit has been undermanned for a long time. Not to mention the offense keeps them on the field to long when they can't eat up clock with the run. It's been hard to make a determination which guys are studs and which guys are duds.

I guess they think CC's one of the studs. I won't argue.

Apparently they did something right when they benched Faggins for Demps. Just get a CB in the draft and we're good.

Lucky
02-28-2008, 02:20 PM
I don't think this is a guaranteed contract. Brown has to make the opening day roster to collect the money.

bigbrewster2000
02-28-2008, 03:16 PM
I don't think that CC's all that bad. I think he's gotten a bad rap.

The defensive backfield as a unit has been undermanned for a long time. Not to mention the offense keeps them on the field to long when they can't eat up clock with the run. It's been hard to make a determination which guys are studs and which guys are duds.

I guess they think CC's one of the studs. I won't argue.

Apparently they did something right when they benched Faggins for Demps. Just get a CB in the draft and we're good. I dont think that statement is very accurate this past season. The offense didnt have too much trouble moving the chains and keeping the D off the field. Our secondary was the primary culprit this past year.

I don't think this is a guaranteed contract. Brown has to make the opening day roster to collect the money.

But if he makes the roster it is all gauranteed, and he shouldnt have too much trouble making the roster.

dalemurphy
02-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Now let's go get Madieu Williams or Gibril Wilson... I'd gladly let Demps go if we can get one of these two guys, particularly Williams who should come cheaper and has very strong cover skills.

Errant Hothy
02-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Now let's go get Madieu Williams or Gibril Wilson... I'd gladly let Demps go if we can get one of these two guys, particularly Williams who should come cheaper and has very strong cover skills.

McCree got cut today.

badboy
02-28-2008, 03:20 PM
I really believe that all the Texans are saying that they genuinely want CC back, and he fits in their plans for the immediate future - not let's sign him and trade him for a post-second round pick.

I don't like the idea of a 4th (or even 5th?) round pick as a sign and trade deal at all. At worst, CC is quality depth in the secondary. At a more realistic level, he's a potential starter, familiar with multiple positions, a leader, and the kind of guy I want on the field and in the locker room.

If you're telling me that you can feel comfortable replacing that with a 4th round pick (or even 5th?), fine, I'll tell you that I'm not. To top it all off, it's not like we have an abundance of talent (or even bodies) at the position. If we lose CC, we'll have to sign/draft one more safety that will need to be capable of playing right away. Even if Harrison comes on next year (a gamble), CC's still going to be spending plenty time on the field assuming he's here. This is in contrast to Andre Davis where if you lose him (which I really hope we don't), you realistically figure that between AJ, Walters and JJ, it's unlikely anyone you add gets on the field much anyway.I like Brown but I am very ok with the right 4th rounder replacing a 6th rounder. Or maybe moving Boulaware or Harrison there. Glenn Earl is not out of picture either. Maybe after that type of move the two 4ths we would have could be used to move into the 2nd round. I know we could use another 2. Remember that Kubes has never voiced the SS as a need area that I'm aware of.

buddyboy
02-28-2008, 03:31 PM
I like Brown but I am very ok with the right 4th rounder replacing a 6th rounder.

I have a problem with anyone who uses this argument. Who cares what round he was drafted in? Does it mean that replacing DeMeco with a first round LBer is an upgrade? H*** no. Is putting the first rounder Brady Quinn in for seventh (I don't know, was it a sixth?) rounder Derek Anderson a huge upgrade? It doesn't MATTER what round a player was drafted after he starts contributing for the team. All that matters is if he is a productive player for the team, not, oh, well, we drafted him in this position, so it's an upgrade if we go get this player. Tom Brady was drafted in the sixth, but no one cares at this point. Reggie Bush was drafted in the first, but again, no one cares too much, the Saints just want him to produce, even if it's not at a "first round level"

threetoedpete
02-28-2008, 04:00 PM
I have a problem with anyone who uses this argument. Who cares what round he was drafted in? Does it mean that replacing DeMeco with a first round LBer is an upgrade? H*** no. Is putting the first rounder Brady Quinn in for seventh (I don't know, was it a sixth?) rounder Derek Anderson a huge upgrade? It doesn't MATTER what round a player was drafted after he starts contributing for the team. All that matters is if he is a productive player for the team, not, oh, well, we drafted him in this position, so it's an upgrade if we go get this player. Tom Brady was drafted in the sixth, but no one cares at this point. Reggie Bush was drafted in the first, but again, no one cares too much, the Saints just want him to produce, even if it's not at a "first round level"

I don't care what round they are...the Texans currently have no FS or OLB that can cover ground. Go stick the Saints tape back in and watch Colston shread the back seven....then go stick the Denver game and Watch Marshall shread the back seven... With BTW a minor seprratedted shoulder he received in the first quarter. Stuff like your post justs makes me shake my head. One thing to love our guys...but com'on rose fretilizer is still rose fertilizer. They want to go with bigger safties, then they are going to have to upgrade the LBs. Demps did a prety fair job in relief, but it was more savie than athelticism. Earl and Brown have been given more than a fair chance. They are what they are. Stop gap mediocre tallents holding down the fort untill the Team can upgrade the positions. They've hit their apex. They got nothing left to show. They are what they are. They can't bang all of the holes this offeason. Gives them one or two warm bodies befor they are on the board in the draft. Paying mediocre second round money is not a good thing.

Kaiser Toro
02-28-2008, 04:04 PM
I don't care what round they are...the Texans currently have no FS or OLB that can cover ground. Go stick the Saints tape back in and watch Colston shread the back seven....then go stick the Denver game and Watch Marshall shread the back seven... With BTW a minor seprratedted shoulder he received in the first quarter. Stuff like your post justs makes me shake my head. One thing to love our guys...but com'on rose fretilizer is still rose fertilizer. they want to go with bigger safties they are going to have to upgrade the LBs. Demps did a prety fair job in relief, but it was more savie than atheltism. Earl and Brown have been given more than a fair chance. They are what they are stop gap mediocre tallents holding down the fort untill the Team can upgrade the positions. They've hit their apex. They got nothing left to show. They are what they are.

It is worth mentioning that we won both of those games. However, I have been waving that flag for a FS for the last three years as well.

badboy
02-28-2008, 04:08 PM
I have a problem with anyone who uses this argument. Who cares what round he was drafted in? Does it mean that replacing DeMeco with a first round LBer is an upgrade? H*** no. Is putting the first rounder Brady Quinn in for seventh (I don't know, was it a sixth?) rounder Derek Anderson a huge upgrade? It doesn't MATTER what round a player was drafted after he starts contributing for the team. All that matters is if he is a productive player for the team, not, oh, well, we drafted him in this position, so it's an upgrade if we go get this player. Tom Brady was drafted in the sixth, but no one cares at this point. Reggie Bush was drafted in the first, but again, no one cares too much, the Saints just want him to produce, even if it's not at a "first round level"Champion Texan asked if I was comfortable replacing CC with 4 or 5 round guy. I pointed out Brown was a 6 and developed into a starter. So why could not a higher round guy replace him? Valid point imo.

buddyboy
02-28-2008, 04:09 PM
I don't care what round they are...the Texans currently have no FS or OLB that can cover ground. Go stick the Saints tape back in and watch Colston shread the back seven....then go stick the Denver game and Watch Marshall shread the back seven... With BTW a minor seprratedted shoulder he received in the first quarter. Stuff like your post justs makes me shake my head. One thing to love our guys...but com'on rose fretilizer is still rose fertilizer. They want to go with bigger safties, then they are going to have to upgrade the LBs. Demps did a prety fair job in relief, but it was more savie than atheltism. Earl and Brown have been given more than a fair chance. They are what they are. Stop gap mediocre tallents holding down the fort untill the Team can upgrade the positions. They've hit their apex. They got nothing left to show. They are what they are.

I was only pointing out that a fourth rounder for Brown was not a plus for the Texans, unless you really think that we can strike gold in the fourth yet again. Myself, I don't think that in the fourth we can find a safety that can step in and take the starting job from CC, so it wouldn't be a super trade to unload CC for a fourth rounder soley on the fact that he was drafted in the sixth round.

Maddict5
02-28-2008, 04:09 PM
I don't care what round they are...the Texans currently have no FS or OLB that can cover ground. Go stick the Saints tape back in and watch Colston shread the back seven....then go stick the Denver game and Watch Marshall shread the back seven...

well to be fair marshall got most of his catches on short routes that von was just playing off because he was overmatched

the secondary(ex von) actually played well that game- especially demps and bennett

bah007
02-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Champion Texan asked if I was comfortable replacing CC with 4 or 5 round guy. I pointed out Brown was a 6 and developed into a starter. So why could not a higher round guy replace him? Valid point imo.

I'm sure that the Patriots would like to replace Tom Brady with David Carr because he was drafted higher.

Specnatz
02-28-2008, 04:28 PM
I like Brown but I am very ok with the right 4th rounder replacing a 6th rounder. Or maybe moving Boulaware or Harrison there. Glenn Earl is not out of picture either. Maybe after that type of move the two 4ths we would have could be used to move into the 2nd round. I know we could use another 2. Remember that Kubes has never voiced the SS as a need area that I'm aware of.

The problem is that you have no idea who is going to be around in the 4th round to say you would be happy with that. Fine if he gets beat in camp and is then subsiquently cut it is only $1.4 mil lost in the grand scheme of things it is not that much money. So why not sign him and see if anyone emerges that can beat him out for either the SS or FS. Since FA has not commenced and you are not sure if you can upgrade the position there because of what individuals want in terms of contracts and this includes Demps as well.

swtbound07
02-28-2008, 09:56 PM
i think cc brown is terrible. Nothing has changed that opinion. I feel like he is the worst nfl starter in the league at his position. I don't see him having any value. I am personally going to be overjoyed the day we replace him.

Polo
02-28-2008, 11:08 PM
I like C.C.

Did someone say McCree got cut ?

badboy
02-29-2008, 12:51 PM
I'm sure that the Patriots would like to replace Tom Brady with David Carr because he was drafted higher.You are totally missing my point. There are several possible replacements for CC and if we got a 4th round pick that is extra. Make comparison all you want and I can find an opposite to cite. I can name several 4th round selections much better than Brown. That is not the point.

badboy
02-29-2008, 12:56 PM
The problem is that you have no idea who is going to be around in the 4th round to say you would be happy with that. Fine if he gets beat in camp and is then subsiquently cut it is only $1.4 mil lost in the grand scheme of things it is not that much money. So why not sign him and see if anyone emerges that can beat him out for either the SS or FS. Since FA has not commenced and you are not sure if you can upgrade the position there because of what individuals want in terms of contracts and this includes Demps as well.Just to debate you and please remember that I said I was ok with Brown, there will be several selections at our 4th round spot I would be ok with. As far as safeties on the team we have an idea what they can do and imo only Earl if signed and maybeBrandon Harrison have a shot at beating out Brown. Also, I did mention combining the to 4ths we would then have to move up in draft.

dtran04
02-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Out of all the positions, safety is by far the hardest to judge on TV. Kubiak praised CC alot last year so he must be doing something right.

beerlover
02-29-2008, 01:06 PM
tendering CC Brown 2nd rd. level says everything you need to know how Kubiac/Smith feel about CC's value going forward. unsure about Glenn Earl/Will Demps future as Texans. would really like to see what Harrison could do @ FS :cool:

Porky
02-29-2008, 01:27 PM
i think cc brown is terrible. Nothing has changed that opinion. I feel like he is the worst nfl starter in the league at his position. I don't see him having any value. I am personally going to be overjoyed the day we replace him.

Mark it. 1:26 PM Friday 2/29. Leap Year.

I agree. :user:

swtbound07
02-29-2008, 02:01 PM

ouch...pain...in...chest....heart.....exploding... big one

Texan_Bill
02-29-2008, 02:03 PM

ouch...pain...in...chest....heart.....exploding... big one

Dr. Peter Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?
Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath-of-God type stuff.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.
Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling.
Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria.