PDA

View Full Version : UH's Donnie Avery

TEXANRED
02-26-2008, 11:44 PM
Damn he's fast. I would like to go on record now by saying that speed does not impress me much. I have always thought and said that being able to run does not mean you can play football and its what you do with the football that impresses. Most speed guys can not play football. I mean, Corey Bradford was fast, big deal. But when I watch Avery run all I can say is damn.

And its not even the fact that he is fast, its the way he's fast. He is effortless in his movements and looks like he is running an inch above the turf. Its almost like his feet never touch the ground.

Just a few highlights,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4XDkwPONjk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jruwxr7Peos&NR=1

Yea, I know they are not from this year, doesn't look like the Coogs get much air time.

His scouting report: 5'11 186lbs. Plays both WR and KR. Runs between a 4.2 and a 4.4. Projected round is 2-3.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=12999

Little bit that I have seen of him he can catch the ball as well.

Anybody out there that watches the Coogs on a consistent basis?

New_Texans
02-27-2008, 11:51 AM
I just remember him dropping a deep pass Blake (whom sucks..but was a freshman) threw downfield. Avery was wide open of course but he dropped it...he is a big play threat no doubt about it. he isnt very shifty though and wont break tackles. So hes no AJ and he cant go through the middle.

Lucky
02-27-2008, 01:02 PM
I just remember him dropping a deep pass Blake (whom sucks..but was a freshman) threw downfield. Avery was wide open of course but he dropped it...
So Avery catches 91 balls, but you remember one he dropped? From Blake (who was a RS soph, not a freshman)? Nice selective memory.

I would say that Avery's upside would be a Santonio Holmes type wideout. Not real great at getting off the line, or catching the ball in the middle of the field. But a real deep threat who has some added value as a returner.

beerlover
02-27-2008, 01:12 PM
I like Dexter Jackson over Donnie Avery in similar role :specnatz:

YoungTexanFan
02-27-2008, 04:22 PM
I like Dexter Jackson over Donnie Avery in similar role :specnatz:

Deshaun Jackson in that role for me, and I really dislike Jackson as a prospect, he just happens to be the best at this role. Think: Troy Williamson or Teddy Ginn Jr.

New_Texans
02-27-2008, 05:20 PM
So Avery catches 91 balls, but you remember one he dropped? From Blake (who was a RS soph, not a freshman)? Nice selective memory.

I would say that Avery's upside would be a Santonio Holmes type wideout. Not real great at getting off the line, or catching the ball in the middle of the field. But a real deep threat who has some added value as a returner.

really? it says freshman on the football page, i thought Caseham (sp) was the sophmore. Lol, i remember that drop so well because he was so wide open and i was in the coog crew pen when it happened so that was a lot of fun.

also, you didn't say anything very different from me about what he may do in the league. >.>

HOU-TEX
02-27-2008, 05:37 PM
really? it says freshman on the football page, i thought Caseham (sp) was the sophmore. Lol, i remember that drop so well because he was so wide open and i was in the coog crew pen when it happened so that was a lot of fun.

also, you didn't say anything very different from me about what he may do in the league. >.>

Did this "drop" happen in the Bowl game at Reliant? If so, it was right in front of me. Man, that would've been a nice TD for sure. :cool: