PDA

View Full Version : Polian thinks Draft needs change

bah007
02-25-2008, 01:05 PM
http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=09000d5d806dd335&template=with-video&confirm=true

Rookies make way too much money before they even touch the field.

Errant Hothy
02-25-2008, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't mind a slotting system like the one the NBA uses for draft picks.

Hervoyel
02-25-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm surprised it's taking as long as it is for the NFL to "reform" the draft system. What we have now makes no sense (with the exception of the draft order which works quite well) and the paychecks are just insane.

Think about rookie contracts. You get these enormous deals for first rounders and so few of them ever live up to the kind of money they make. I hear the argument that their careers could be over in an instant and I understand that's a possibility but how many guys, selected in the real money rounds have a career ending injury before their rookie contract is up? I know it happens but it surely doesn't happen to everybody or even most of them.

It seems to me like they could come up with a rookie pay scale that came with some sort of insurance payout for players who have career ending injuries. I've no doubt it would be cheaper than paying everybody like they're going to be HOF material right out of the gate. I think after 4 years in the league you could then be free to go on and negotiate yourself a deal based on your development to that point.

infantrycak
02-25-2008, 02:47 PM
How easy is this vote if they ever get off their butts and present it to the players?--hey all you guys in the league want to vote on making more money available for you and less available for guys not in the league yet (and hence not voting)?

Second Honeymoon
02-25-2008, 02:54 PM
How easy is this vote if they ever get off their butts and present it to the players?--hey all you guys in the league want to vote on making more money available for you and less available for guys not in the league yet (and hence not voting)?

no doubt. you would think it would be a slam dunk.

ArlingtonTexan
02-25-2008, 03:15 PM
The words trade down might have some meaning for top 10 teams if they pass such a measure.

tulexan
02-25-2008, 03:20 PM
They need to do something about it fast. You shouldn't have rookies being the highest paid players at their position before playing a single down.

ChampionTexan
02-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Agreed - this makes way too much sense for it not to happen.

Another benefit - when was the last time you heard of an NBA first round pick holding out? There's no point to it.

GlassHalfFull
02-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Agreed - this makes way too much sense for it not to happen.Another benefit - when was the last time you heard of an NBA first round pick holding out? There's no point to it.

Unfortunately, this should probably read:
Agreed - this makes way too much sense for it to happen.

When have the powers to be ever made sense?

Hookem Horns
02-25-2008, 04:00 PM
If Reggie Bust isn't proof of this then no one is. This guy will go down as the most overhyped bust in the NFL. He is even on a billboard here in Austin selling something.

They really need to make these guys PROVE on the field what they can do in the NFL before they start giving them all that money. Corporations should do the same before they start throwing all that money at them for endorsements.

Blazing Arrow
02-25-2008, 06:15 PM

I am not sure it is so cut and dry as that.

Let's say a new player comes into the league and is deemed a star prior to entering the league and gets his pay day at position X. If I am a FA at position X and I am a top guy in the league you better believe I want that type of money for myself and probably a premium to boot because I have already proven my worth.

GP
02-25-2008, 07:00 PM
Or, and call me crazy here....pay them the same ridiculous amount of money, but make them designate an insane portion of it toward an NFL Medical Pension.

Gonna' make $50 million as one of the top draft picks? 25% of your contract goes directly into the fund. You get to help yourself make a ton of money, and you get to help pay back those guys like Mike Webster who needed a hand. After all, you're probably going to need it, too, some day. Right?

This makes the owners poney up the cash for the NFL Veterans who have earned to get the best healthcare they can get. I'm not in favor of helping the owners save more money. Make them pay the players the same amount, but the NFL collects a percentage and allocate it to retired players--This would be on rookie contracts only. This sport is getting insanely physical and is going to take a HUGE toll on guys who are playing today.

The need for this is NOW. Not in 20 years when a ton of guys are dying at 50 because of brain problems. That's a P.R. nightmare. Do something pro-active, Goodell, instead of waiting for the storm to hit. It's common sense.

Kaiser Toro
02-25-2008, 07:19 PM
Performance should always be the driver for pay in a meritocracy. The current system needs to be fixed, but in my opinion it cannot. The reality is that the next Reggie Bush will still have plenty of endorsement potential based upon their look and performance in the NCAA.

If a change were to be made, the issue would then become when will the player be able to renegotiate. Hold outs could become potentially rampant for young players after the rookie campaign, especially those positions that have a historically low average shelf life in the NFL, as in a RB.

In the end, the best way to get it right in the draft is to make sure you have competent folks in the FO and in the field. I believe the current Texans' regime is showing us that competence goes a long way.

infantrycak
02-26-2008, 08:18 AM
I am not sure it is so cut and dry as that.

Let's say a new player comes into the league and is deemed a star prior to entering the league and gets his pay day at position X. If I am a FA at position X and I am a top guy in the league you better believe I want that type of money for myself and probably a premium to boot because I have already proven my worth.

Nah, the market will set the prices for the vets just like it did for Nate Clements last year and will for Asante Samuel this year. It's a pretty simple truth that if teams only have X dollars they can spend and less is going to rookies, more will be spent on vets.

Lucky
02-26-2008, 08:42 AM
The best way to change the draft is...to not hold a draft at all.

Rather than drafting players and signing them out of a rookie salary pool, allow all eligible players to be on the free agent market. There could still be a rookie salary pool, with the worst teams getting more pool money. A team could avoid the high priced talent at the top, and stockpile solid, but cheaper talent. Or a team that thinks it is one player away, could go all in. Let the market decide. The rookies would be worth whatever they can sign for, not some arbitrary slot number that's either too high or too low.

BigBull17
02-26-2008, 08:50 AM
I agree with him 100%. Just look at the teams in the top 10, most of them are there every year and nothing is changing. And to prevent hold outs after a great rookie year, make a rule to prevent a renegotiation until a player has played x number of years on his first contract.