PDA

View Full Version : Would ya' trade Travis Johnson straight up for Shaun Rogers?

Hottoddie
02-24-2008, 04:33 PM
You know Millen will make any trade that doesn't benefit his team. Rogers has had some conditioning issues, but would a change of scenery like the Texans help turn that around? If he regains his old form, we'd have the best DL in the NFL. Would you make the deal?

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080223/SPORTS0101/802230423/1126

The trade drums are beating louder for Lions nose tackle Shaun Rogers.

The question no longer seems to be whether the Lions will trade him, but when they will make a deal........

........It remains to be seen what the Lions can get in return for Rogers, who has played seven seasons in Detroit and made the NFC Pro Bowl twice (2004 and '05).

The perception has changed slightly this year on the value of getting draft choices in trades. Last year, a first-day pick was anything on the first three rounds. This year, there are two rounds on the first day. The second day begins with the third round.

President Matt Millen was asked Friday if he wanted a starter in return for Rogers.

"It depends," Millen said. "You can get a starter with a pick."........

.........The issues with Rogers are well known. He has immense talent and can be a dominating player when he's on his game. However, poor physical conditioning has kept him from playing at his peak.

He played well for the first eight games last year, then tailed off badly.

"We can look at the negative things," Marinelli said. "You look at his full season, he had a decent year."

The free-agent signing period begins Friday. There would be some benefit to the Lions to know where the defensive line stands before they hit the market.

bah007
02-24-2008, 04:39 PM
Even if we made that trade & Rogers became a consistent All-Pro, the Giants DL would still be a heck of a lot better than ours.

brakos82
02-24-2008, 04:44 PM
President Matt Millen was asked Friday if he wanted a starter in return for Rogers.

"It depends," Millen said. "You can get a starter with a pick."........

WIDE RECIEVERS!!!!! :wild:

Hottoddie
02-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Even if we made that trade & Rogers became a consistent All-Pro, the Giants DL would still be a heck of a lot better than ours.

Not when we sign Justin Smith (RDE) in free agency. :D

Mario, Okoye, Rogers, Smith.

rmartin65
02-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Heck yea.

PapaL
02-24-2008, 06:08 PM
He's probably still tired from running the fumble back for TD early in the season.

The1ApplePie
02-24-2008, 11:11 PM
If we trade TJ for anything, it will be a good deal, let alone a guy that was top 5 in his position a year ago.

The Texans need a big fat ass, and Rodgers fits that mold.

PHAROAH
02-25-2008, 06:31 AM
I would do that trade in a heart beat because Travis Johnson finally stepped up and will never live up to his drafting.

TEXANRED
02-25-2008, 07:13 AM
Not straight up, I would give them TJ, Green, Dayne, and throw in Black for good measure.

Vinny
02-25-2008, 09:13 AM
No way anyone would accept TJ for Rogers...forget about that idea.

HOU-TEX
02-25-2008, 09:21 AM
He's probably still tired from running the fumble back for TD early in the season.

I remember that. He was spent after that TD. The O2 mask was stuck on his face for at least 10 minutes after that.

As for the trade...ain't going to happen anyways.

Hervoyel
02-25-2008, 09:46 AM
I'd trade TJ for a couple of cases of powdered Gatorade if I were the Texans. He's proof that when the previous brain "bust" hit on a first round pick it was sheer luck and nothing more.

Think about it for a minute.

2002 BUST David Carr
2003 Andre Johnson
2004 Dunta Robinson
2004 BUST Jason Babin
2005 BUST Travis Johnson

Now consider the two players on that list that you can say aren't busts. Andre Johnson was there because the Detroit Lions suck so bad that they took Charles Rogers over him. Had Millen made the smart move we might have been stuck with Rogers and had one more BUST on the list.

Had Atlanta taken Dunta Robinson two picks before we came up then we might very well be trying to figure out how to handle our resident loudmouth cancer DeAngelo Hall.

We're damned lucky that we didn't bust on every first rounder Casserly ever selected. Damned lucky indeed.

TEXANRED
02-25-2008, 10:04 AM
I'd trade TJ for a couple of cases of powdered Gatorade if I were the Texans. He's proof that when the previous brain "bust" hit on a first round pick it was sheer luck and nothing more.

Think about it for a minute.

2002 BUST David Carr
2003 Andre Johnson
2004 Dunta Robinson
2004 BUST Jason Babin
2005 BUST Travis Johnson

Now consider the two players on that list that you can say aren't busts. Andre Johnson was there because the Detroit Lions suck so bad that they took Charles Rogers over him. Had Millen made the smart move we might have been stuck with Rogers and had one more BUST on the list.

Had Atlanta taken Dunta Robinson two picks before we came up then we might very well be trying to figure out how to handle our resident loudmouth cancer DeAngelo Hall.

We're damned lucky that we didn't bust on every first rounder Casserly ever selected. Damned lucky indeed.

Don't forget Hollings, Jopru, Wells, That one guy we tried to make into a LT, Charles Hill, everyone from the expansion draft, Gaffney. The only thing that seemed to work in our favor was drafting that QB to trade to the crygirls. But then I think we waisted that pick on PBurnt with the trade with the Raiders.

Then there is all the FA's we are still making payments on. Its like getting your car reposed and still having to pay it off.

The only thing that has ever worked in Cass' favor was passing on Derrick Johnson to pick up and extra 3rd that landed us Eric Winston.

Vinny
02-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Don't forget Hollings, Jopru, Wells, That one guy we tried to make into a LT, Charles Hill, everyone from the expansion draft, Gaffney. The only thing that seemed to work in our favor was drafting that QB to trade to the crygirls. But then I think we waisted that pick on PBurnt with the trade with the Raiders.

Then there is all the FA's we are still making payments on. Its like getting your car reposed and still having to pay it off.

The only thing that has ever worked in Cass' favor was passing on Derrick Johnson to pick up and extra 3rd that landed us Eric Winston.Passing on Derrick Johnson didn't hurt as much as we passed on Pro Bowler LT Jammal Brown who the Saints took with our pick.

Errant Hothy
02-25-2008, 10:12 AM

The only thing that has ever worked in Cass' favor was passing on Derrick Johnson to pick up and extra 3rd that landed us Eric Winston.

C'mon let's be a little un-biased. Joppru was not anybody in the Front Office's fault; tha was just bad luck and good happen to any team. The expansion draft yeilded use some working parts, now granted the 2 guys who were supposed to be the cornerstones, Boselli and Yound didn't pan out, put Walker, Payne, and Glenn were all more then usable the first few years of the franchise.

And I'll take Winston over Derrick Johnson everyday of the week.

nunusguy
02-25-2008, 10:19 AM
Passing on Derrick Johnson didn't hurt as much as we passed on Pro Bowler LT Jammal Brown who the Saints took with our pick.
But is it still premature to fully assess the wisdom of that move, especially if Eric W. eventually becomes the Texans franchise LT, which could yet happen with our uncertainty at LT ?

Hervoyel
02-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Don't forget Hollings, Jopru, Wells....

The subject of the thread though was Travis Johnson and I'm sorry if I derailed it a little bit but I was making reference to his being a first round pick so those other guys didn't really come into what I was talking about much.

I was just pointing out that he wasn't worth much (like most Texans 1's) and got off-topic a bit on how bad we did in the first round back then.

The1ApplePie
02-25-2008, 10:28 AM
What makes Casserly's picks even worse, is the fact that guys taken right after our busts were pro-bowlers

Witten, Bob Sanders, Lance Briggs, Brown, Portis, Bolden, Johnson

Maddict5
02-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Passing on Derrick Johnson didn't hurt as much as we passed on Pro Bowler LT Jammal Brown who the Saints took with our pick.

jammal isnt all that.. good last year, not so good this year

...... and oh yeah injury prone :gun:

ensign_lee
02-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Um, no?

TJ is finally playing well after experiencing the DL experience curve. Why would we want to trade him now?

The only plausible reason I could think of would be that we would want a two gap DT rather than two one gap DTs.

But yeah; no way.

TK_Gamer
02-25-2008, 04:37 PM
IMHO TJ would be a 2 gap but he cant wrap anyone up. He did work on his attitude and line technique, now if he could only tackle.

PapaL
02-25-2008, 05:18 PM
So what you're saying is that our defensive tackle can't tackle? Lovely...just lovely. lol

Hottoddie
02-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Well, if it goes through, so much for my dream of a super defensive line. Come on Rick, get in there & make something happen. :D

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/feb/25/broncos-closing-in-on-lions-rogers/

Broncos closing in on Lions' Rogers

Rocky Mountain News
Originally published 02:47 p.m., February 25, 2008
Updated 02:53 p.m., February 25, 2008

The Broncos are in aggressive discussions to trade for Detroit Lions defensive tackle Shaun Rogers.

If no hitches develop, the trade is expected to be done as early as tonight or early Tuesday.

It's unclear what the Broncos would give the Lions for Rogers, 28, a University of Texas product.

The 6-foot-4, 340-pounder has drawn the ire of Lions general manager Matt Millen because of weight problems. Millen has said the former Pro Bowl selection could be fined if the issue isn't resolved.

The Broncos' biggest trade last offseason came with the Lions, who sent defensive back Dre' Bly to Denver for offensive tackle George Foster and running back Tatum Bell.