PDA

View Full Version : 3rd hand Texans rumor

Errant Hothy
02-24-2008, 03:41 PM
http://boards.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=5644

Hey guys, I just called into Sirius NFL Radio and I spoke to pat Kirwan and another guy. This was at 1:20pm Sunday. I was calling to get their thoughts on the RB position and Cornerback and what we should do. They went on to say, "well RUMOR has it the Texans just aquired a Veteran Running back." They would not say who, or what team, because it wasn't official. I am still listening to my Siruis Radio waiting to hear. He said he was about to get back on his cell phone and confirm. Well see.......

Brian

If true it would have to be somebody who's been cut or they made a trade.

Any thoughts?

And, yes I know that there is a way better then zero chance that this is all BS.

headsplint
02-24-2008, 03:48 PM

Any thoughts?

And, yes I know that there is a way better then zero chance that this is all BS.

Sounds premature but who knows.

kiwitexansfan
02-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Will be interesting to see if anything comes of this.

Veteran RB help, I hope that doesn't mean we are taking somebody's old castoffs ala Ahman Green.

Lucky
02-24-2008, 03:53 PM

Any thoughts?

Scout.com's Adam Caplan is reporting the Texans have interest in Michael Turner (http://profootballexperts.scout.com/2/731650.html).

One thing to remember is that even though the free agency doesn't start until the 29th, verbal deals are being made now.

UPDATE 12:50 PM EST

League sources indicate free agent RB Michael Turner (http://profootballexperts.scout.com/a.z?s=211&p=8&c=1&nid=3125054) could find interest from the Houston Texans (http://hou.scout.com/). Houston got inconsistent production from Green in 2007 and he also missed 10 games due to knee problems. Green, who turned 31 recently, is a candidate to be released. He's due $12.9 million over the final three years of his contract.

Scouts believe Turner fits Houston's zone blocking scheme well which asks a back to make one cut and get down hill.That link may not work due to subscriber content.

AnthonyE
02-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Scout.com's Adam Caplan is reporting the Texans have interest in Michael Turner (http://profootballexperts.scout.com/2/731650.html).

One thing to remember is that even though the free agency doesn't start until the 29th, verbal deals are being made now.

That link may not work due to subscriber content.

hm. interesting. I'm giddy just thinking about it. I just hope we don't overpay.

TexanBorn51
Hey just passing by but noticed earlier on footballsfuture.com an article predicting Texans 08 taking Ward article by Greg Davis. Just an article though of RB free agents and which teams will take what...although predictions.

kiwitexansfan
I hope we don't pay him what he thinks he is worth if we do go after Turner.

Errant Hothy
02-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Hey just passing by but noticed earlier on footballsfuture.com an article predicting Texans 08 taking Ward article by Greg Davis. Just an article though of RB free agents and which teams will take what...although predictions.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/nfl/freeagentsRB.html

Derrick Ward, RFA, New York Giants

Ward filled in admirably for Brandon Jacobs this season. He was able to run for 80 yards or more during five different efforts this year, including a 154-yard effort against the Bears in week thirteen. Disappointingly, Ward was also knocked out for the season near the end of that game. He managed to find the endzone on three occasions during the season, and he was just shy of 800 total offensive yards. It’s hard to see Ward changing teams given his RFA status, but there could be a few teams looking to try and acquire him if the price isn’t too steep, and the Giants have the depth to let him go.

Predicted 2008 Team: Texans – He’ll be able to compete for a split of the carries.

AnthonyE
02-24-2008, 04:04 PM

Any thoughts?

Hey! When did they change their layout? rofl.

brakos82
02-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Weren't the Giants crying over us stealing Vonta? :thinking:

bah007
02-24-2008, 04:09 PM
Weren't the Giants crying over us stealing Vonta? :thinking:

New York has two good Fullbacks. I doubt they care.

Silver Oak
02-24-2008, 04:21 PM
would be a good deal easier to pay for tickets this season if it was Turner we picked up.

infantrycak
02-24-2008, 04:26 PM

And yet they signed him and then the Texans matched the deal.

GuerillaBlack
02-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Vonte may be a bit upset. He could have had a Super Bowl ring.

ChampionTexan
And a good deal easier for the Texans to decide what position to draft in Round 1.

Errant Hothy

They have 2 good FBs now, I think they were still looking for a good one last year when the Vonta thing went down.

Historyhorn
02-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Kirwin talked about it a couple of different times, but wouldn't give names or teams, except to say that it was a trade with Texans and a RB involved in the deal.

He indicated he was trying to track it down to confirm before floating the story.

I was listening intently to see if they actually came through with the goods, or if any new information had come out, but hadn't heard anything when I turned Sirius off.

Go Texans

Hottoddie
02-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Unless they get him cheap, I'd rather draft a RB. Let's use our available cap space to go get one or more of Justin Smith (DE), Bryant Johnson (WR), Landon Johnson (OLB), Demorrio Williams (OLB), Randall Gay (CB), or some other obscure player.

By the way, what about Deshaun Foster? After all, he's a free agent as we speak.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
02-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Wasn't there a rumor awhile back about the Texans possibly trading for Cadillac Williams?

Nevermind, I doubt it. Forgot how bad his knee injury was.

drewmar74
02-24-2008, 06:50 PM
By the way, what about Deshaun Foster? After all, he's a free agent as we speak.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PapaL
02-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Hey! When did they change their layout? rofl.

I was just thinking the same thing. Didn't even bother checking to see if my account was still active.

drewmar74
02-24-2008, 10:21 PM
Alright, so the suspense on this is killing me.

What I wanted: A RB out of the draft.

What I would be happy with: Trading for an RB that doesn't have a million miles on him and that has been more than just "serviceable." I could live with Ike Turner here as long as he doesn't cost us what Schaub did in terms of draft picks.

What I don't want: Pulling a bonehead move and trading for someone who is "just a guy" at RB. I don't want a Julius Jones, Marcel Shipp, or someone like that under center, especially if they cost us talent or picks.

What would make me throw up: Signing a FA "JAG" and calling RB done for next season. See: Foster, DeShaun or Dayne, Ron.

And don't get me wrong on that Ron Dayne comment. I like what the Dayne Train did for us the past two years. I just want someone more explosive - is that soooo wrong?

Lucky
02-24-2008, 10:35 PM
I could live with Ike Turner here as long as he doesn't cost us what Schaub did in terms of draft picks.
Michael Turner wouldn't cost any draft picks, as he is an unrestricted free agent. Just the $$$ to sign him.

Kaiser Toro
02-24-2008, 10:41 PM
I do not doubt Turner can run the football. I just do not recall him catching a ball out of the backfield, nor did I ever watch to see him block. He may be able to do both, but it is a concern without seeing it on the field in three years.

kiwitexansfan
02-24-2008, 10:45 PM
I could live with Ike Turner here as long as he doesn't cost us what Schaub did in terms of draft picks.

As long as it comes as a package deal with Tina.

We need a RB who likes to hit and looks for contact.

Nawzer
02-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Wow! A third hand rumor, for all we know it could be the triumphant return of James Allen aka Mersilis!:highfive:

CloakNNNdagger
02-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Could it be a "repackaging" of Joe Smith........one with "guarantees" that he needed for "family security"?????

kiwitexansfan
02-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Wow! A third hand rumor, for all we know it could be the triumphant return of James Allen aka Mersilis!:highfive:

What can you say in the offseason even third hand rumours are exciting to those starving for football related gossip.

Lucky
02-24-2008, 11:00 PM
Could it be a "repackaging" of Joe Smith........one with "guarantees" that he needed for "family security"?????
Joe Smith from the CFL? He re-signed with the BC Lions.

Fox
02-24-2008, 11:03 PM
I'd reserve judgment until I saw the price, but I'd much prefer to see us look for a RB in FA or the draft. This is one of the deeper drafts in recent years at RB, and there are several intriguing FA's available. I especially don't want to see us give up any picks, we're still a building franchise and we need all the help we can get.

CloakNNNdagger
02-24-2008, 11:07 PM
Joe Smith from the CFL? He re-signed with the BC Lions.

I know........that's why I said repackage. He essentially turned us down because of no guarantee to not being cut prior to the season. He would be a heck of a fit in our system. Maybe, the Texans rethought their stance after they were turned down. Smith and the Lions might be willing to show some creativity..........just speculating.

Lucky
02-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Maybe, the Texans rethought their stance after they were turned down. Smith and the Lions might be willing to show some creativity..........just speculating.
No, I think the Texans had a window to sign Smith (or any other option year CFLer), and missed it.

CFL players heading into their option years are eligible to sign in the NFL after every season. And Buono historically has made no attempt to extend the contracts of those with a window of opportunity to head south, saying the Lions are not in a position to make an offer that could match even the minimum rookie salary of $295,000 per season in the four-down league.

It's simply the timing of the workout that will keep the Lions on edge today. Option-year players have until 1 p.m. today to sign in the NFL before their rights revert to their CFL team. It means Houston basically would have to offer and negotiate a deal for Smith on the spot.

The option-year signing period opened last month, when Smith's agent was quoted as saying his client had drawn interest from the New York Jets and Chicago Bears.

I believe the NFL has an agreement with the CFL to honor their player contracts. There's actually a rule in the collective bargaining agreement that forbids NFL teams from signing CFL players after their season in Canada is over.

J-Russ
02-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Apparently dratfdaddy.com is reporting in its Rumors that the Bears are shopping Cedric Benson. Not even talking as a fan, from a Front Office standpoint, this makes ABSOLUTELY no sense whatsoever. His stock has never been lower, his cap # is very average next year, and he has nowhere to go but up. And this AFTER we took the burden of last year, alot of his contract, and traded away Thomas Jones so that there's no one behind him?

It would be ridicolously stupid to move Benson now. And for what? A 4th or 5th rounder? He wouldnt bring in much, nothing that could help us right away. Its create another hole because instead of partially having something at the RB spot we'd have to completly start over...again. I really hope this isnt true. Say what you want about the guy, but I think its hard to argue against the implications. What are your thoughts?

http://boards.chicagobears.com/forums/thread/891072.aspx

i just read on the espn boards that it could be Cedric Benson

http://boards.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=5644&page=8

:hmmm:

edit: forgot links.

tulexan
02-24-2008, 11:35 PM
It better not be Cedric Benson.

threetoedpete
02-25-2008, 12:08 AM

Well the only thing I can think of is they want to lock down the RB hole befor the draft. I don't agree with it whether it is Benson or the burner. I have my doubts too up there. My last images of Turner the burner I have was of him being stuffed in a play off game with a much better line than we have.

Maybe they have two or three guys targeted and don't have the heart to wait and see what will fall to them in the third and forth rounds.

NFNn is reporting a deal in the works for Deshawn Foster to Tampa. Aparently, Cadillac's injured knee is very serious. Career threatening wasn't said...but hinted at.

The NFL phsycal year is fixing to flip. A lot of these moves will straighten themselves out in the next ten days or so. Can't give the same guy two contracts in the same year. Guys like Micheal Strahan and Flozzel Adams will get redone at the first of March.

The1ApplePie
02-25-2008, 12:18 AM
Please don't waste money on Turner! He is an upgrade over what we have, but will not be near the money he is making.

He's a product of Lorenzo Neal, The Chargers O-Line, and the fact that defenses relax a bit when LT is off the field (same with Felix Jones at Ark)

I'd figure Fragile Matty and Sage would show the fans about overrated back up players

aj.
02-25-2008, 07:37 AM
If it's Benson or Foster, then I conclude that someone put voodoo dolls in the walls of the GMs office when the stadium was being built ...

That's one rumor that can't be true.

TEXANRED
02-25-2008, 07:58 AM

Cedric Benson and the Bears were a nightmare waiting to happen. IIRC he was taken fourth overall, held out during training camp, Watched Jones run like a mad man, and never got a fair opportunity to show the Bears organization what he can do.

I think there are a lot of guys in that locker room who would rather have Jones as there RB and got upset when he was traded. I believe that Benson was never given a fair chance in Chicago from day one. I believe that there are guys in that locker room who would go to great links to make sure that Benson's career in Chicago is over. He was a great runner in Texas, there was a reason he was taken first five.

A change of scenery is exactly what Benson needs. Who knows, maybe coming back home to Texas could save his career. B/C the state of Texas does have natural healing powers.:music:

Texans34Life
02-25-2008, 08:23 AM
I may have found a claim to this rumor.....it could be a mistake by the NFL Network.

Sorry if this has been already posted.

http://i26.tinypic.com/34dmxj7.jpg

nero THE zero
02-25-2008, 08:26 AM
If this rumor is true and we do pick up a RB via trade I don't think that necessarily keeps us from drafting one as well. I think with the number of injuries we saw last year and the uncertainty we have experienced at RB over the two seasons Kubiak has been here, he and Rick Smith are going to do everything in their power to have several starting capable backs on the roster. Kubiak has stated in many of his pressers that in the NFL today you not only need 2 starting capable RBs but a third as well.

Ahman Green would be one of those guys, whether we keep him or not remains to be seen. But from all indications from Smith and Kubiak, he is here to stay. Ron Dayne would be another one, but he is an UFA and LZ has said that he doesn't think Dayne fits Gibbs' system and wouldn't be suprised if Dayne wasn't re-signed. Then you have the Chris Taylor and Darius Walker types who are more insurance than someone you would go into a season with and expect to give you starter quality time.

So, say we do give a 5th rounder for a Cedric Benson-esque player, who's to say that keeps us from drafting another RB in the first three rounds as well? While it might hurt to use two of our 6 draft picks on one position it would give you a lot more to be confident about at the position going into next season (ie. Ahman Green, Ray Rice, Cedric Benson vs. Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, Darius Walker.) There is also the possibility of trading back a number of spots to pick up extra picks.

And this is all assuming it would be some mid-level guy and not more of a blockbuster trade. Would Miami be opposed to letting Ronnie Brown, who's coming off an injury, go for an extra pick(s) with the chance to draft McFadden at #1? Also, with Mendenhall and McFadden both measuring well at the combine and rising up the draft board would teams in the mid-early first round be willing to let their starting RB go for an extra pick(s) with the certainty of McFadden or Mendenhall being there? KC and Larry Johnson, NE and Lawrence Maroney, Baltimore and Willis McGahee? Would you take Willis McGahee and the #38 pick for our #18? Would Baltimore?

TEXANRED
02-25-2008, 08:52 AM
I may have found a claim to this rumor.....it could be a mistake by the NFL Network.

Sorry if this has been already posted.

http://i26.tinypic.com/34dmxj7.jpg

I would have to say that is an error on someones part. They also have Green Bay picking 30th. The Packers don't have anyone on there team that is worth the 18th pick, unless they are trying to get rid or Barnett or Hawk.

PapaL
02-25-2008, 08:59 AM
LJ was called out early in career. Maybe Benson can take his diaper off and start running like a man as well? Then again, I'm anti lets bring in this guy because played at UT.

Maddict5
02-25-2008, 09:49 AM
mike bell for a 7th possibly? just speculating

drewmar74
02-25-2008, 09:55 AM
As long as it comes as a package deal with Tina.

We need a RB who likes to hit and looks for contact.

If I remember correctly, Ike Turner had no problem hitting or looking for contact.

Yes, I knew that I put Ike Turner in instead of Michael Turner.....

Lucky
02-25-2008, 10:00 AM
That was just a sloppy mistake by the NFL Networks graphic department. They also had the Vikings with pick #21 (which belongs to Washington). Both mistakes were corrected on the scroll graphic during their 6pm CST Total Access show.

Vinny
02-25-2008, 11:05 AM
LJ was called out early in career. Maybe Benson can take his diaper off and start running like a man as well? Then again, I'm anti lets bring in this guy because played at UT.
LJ was on the bench though...Benson has been on the field and hasn't looked like a top5 back. One thing I will say though is that the Bears got rid of another guy who was a late bloomer in the NFL > Thomas Jones. Jones was looked at as a bust his first few years in the league. I'm not so sure Benson is a late bloomer as much as he benefited from Vince Young opening up his running lanes and helping his draft stock soar. Right now he doesn't look like he has the speed and quickness to ever be a big time back in the NFL.

Cjeremy635
02-25-2008, 11:18 AM
So who does everyone think it is and or who would you like for it to be? Turner got a lot of hype this year correct? I saw him run a few times and thought he looked really promising. That's just my initial thoughts though, I really don't know much about him. I do think that someone will pay him big money, maybe us or maybe someone else. As long as he can produce for us on the field like L.T. does for San Diego, I'd pay for it in a heart beat. I think a great running game would improve our record by 3-4 wins a season. That puts us in the playoffs. I liked the way we ran the ball later in the season, but we need to be consistent from day 1 of week 1 and have the explosive payer with break-away speed.

Goldensilence
02-25-2008, 11:34 AM
LJ was on the bench though...Benson has been on the field and hasn't looked like a top5 back. One thing I will say though is that the Bears got rid of another guy who was a late bloomer in the NFL > Thomas Jones. Jones was looked at as a bust his first few years in the league. I'm not so sure Benson is a late bloomer as much as he benefited from Vince Young opening up his running lanes and helping his draft stock soar. Right now he doesn't look like he has the speed and quickness to ever be a big time back in the NFL.

Agree with the second part. I know its hard with a lot of UT fans here sometimes but Benson didn't play very long with Vince. Two years prior Benson came to UT heralded as a freshman. Was doing very well and only in 2004, his last year, Vince became a fulltime starter.

Not everything UT revolves around Vince unlike some want to imagine(not saying you personally). Benson also played behind some damn good O-lines at UT as well. IMO I think the Bears/Benson relationship was doomed from the start. I think it'd be good for both to part ways.

PHAROAH
02-25-2008, 11:47 AM
If this rumor is true and we do pick up a RB via trade I don't think that necessarily keeps us from drafting one as well. I think with the number of injuries we saw last year and the uncertainty we have experienced at RB over the two seasons Kubiak has been here, he and Rick Smith are going to do everything in their power to have several starting capable backs on the roster. Kubiak has stated in many of his pressers that in the NFL today you not only need 2 starting capable RBs but a third as well.

Ahman Green would be one of those guys, whether we keep him or not remains to be seen. But from all indications from Smith and Kubiak, he is here to stay. Ron Dayne would be another one, but he is an UFA and LZ has said that he doesn't think Dayne fits Gibbs' system and wouldn't be suprised if Dayne wasn't re-signed. Then you have the Chris Taylor and Darius Walker types who are more insurance than someone you would go into a season with and expect to give you starter quality time.

So, say we do give a 5th rounder for a Cedric Benson-esque player, who's to say that keeps us from drafting another RB in the first three rounds as well? While it might hurt to use two of our 6 draft picks on one position it would give you a lot more to be confident about at the position going into next season (ie. Ahman Green, Ray Rice, Cedric Benson vs. Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, Darius Walker.) There is also the possibility of trading back a number of spots to pick up extra picks.

And this is all assuming it would be some mid-level guy and not more of a blockbuster trade. Would Miami be opposed to letting Ronnie Brown, who's coming off an injury, go for an extra pick(s) with the chance to draft McFadden at #1? Also, with Mendenhall and McFadden both measuring well at the combine and rising up the draft board would teams in the mid-early first round be willing to let their starting RB go for an extra pick(s) with the certainty of McFadden or Mendenhall being there? KC and Larry Johnson, NE and Lawrence Maroney, Baltimore and Willis McGahee? Would you take Willis McGahee and the #38 pick for our #18? Would Baltimore?I think the texans will draft a speed back but they want a power back who is young and not over the hill like Ron Dayne and Ahman Green. I think the Texans are probably targeting Ray Rice or Steve Slaton in the 3rd round and I think that's where Cedric benson or Ronnie Brown may come into play because the Dolphins have been in discussions with Dallas about trading for there 2 1st rounders and Marion Barber for Darren Mcfadden plus they resigned Ricky Williams as well so Ronnie Brown could be the odd man out and that takes salary cap of the Dolphins books.

bah007
02-25-2008, 11:47 AM
I think Justin Blalock & Kasey Studdard were a big part of Benson's success at UT.

Not to mention a handful of other guys like Jonathan Scott, etc....

Vinny
02-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Agree with the second part. I know its hard with a lot of UT fans here sometimes but Benson didn't play very long with Vince. Two years prior Benson came to UT heralded as a freshman. Was doing very well and only in 2004, his last year, Vince became a fulltime starter.

Not everything UT revolves around Vince unlike some want to imagine(not saying you personally). Benson also played behind some damn good O-lines at UT as well. IMO I think the Bears/Benson relationship was doomed from the start. I think it'd be good for both to part ways.
Benson was a top HS National recruit so I know the football world has been high on him for a while. I just think his stock soared once paired with Young since he took so much attention from the front 7 to defend in College. I overvalued him myself.

HOU-TEX
02-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Benson was a top HS National recruit so I know the football world has been high on him for a while. I just think his stock soared once paired with Young since he took so much attention from the front 7 to defend in College. I overvalued him myself.

He may just be one of many that showed less effort once "they got paid". Kinda like what they're saying about Alexander. Who knows?

I'm with you though, I overvalued him as well.

FWIW, I also don't think Charles will make much of an impact in the NFL.

Texans_Chick
02-25-2008, 12:50 PM

FWIW, things I've heard about Benson that he has got the NFL big head and doesn't want to put the hours in.

aj.
02-25-2008, 01:17 PM
It may take a little digging but I recall articles out there about him being a total shithead in the locker room.

PapaL
02-25-2008, 01:22 PM
It may take a little digging but I recall articles out there about him being a total shithead in the locker room.

Mental picture, lol

tulexan
02-25-2008, 01:31 PM
FWIW, things I've heard about Benson that he has got the NFL big head and doesn't want to put the hours in.

I don't think Benson is well liked by his teammates either. Didn't they tell on him when he left the sidelines early at a preseason game a few years ago?

ArlingtonTexan
02-25-2008, 01:42 PM
No linkage, but someone from another MB has said that Kirwin has been informed by non-Texans team that there is no truth to the rumor.

nero THE zero
02-25-2008, 01:52 PM
No linkage, but someone from another MB has said that Kirwin has been informed by non-Texans team that there is no truth to the rumor.

We all know how the game telephone works but from the way he worded it I don't know if it was "bunk" or if it just didn't work out.
"Pat Kirwan just said that the rumor he "reported" yesterday was bunk. The coach from the other team allegedly involved called him and told him not to go with it, that it wasn't happening.

If there was another team I don't see how it could be "bunk."

ArlingtonTexan
02-25-2008, 02:03 PM
We all know how the game telephone works but from the way he worded it I don't know if it was "bunk" or if it just didn't work out.
"Pat Kirwan just said that the rumor he "reported" yesterday was bunk. The coach from the other team allegedly involved called him and told him not to go with it, that it wasn't happening.

If there was another team I don't see how it could be "bunk."

My normal guess in these situations is that the teams involved have spoken but nothing came of it and niether team wants to let the names/picks discussed to leak out further.

nero THE zero
02-25-2008, 02:20 PM
My normal guess in these situations is that the teams involved have spoken but nothing came of it and niether team wants to let the names/picks discussed to leak out further.

That's what I got out of it too.

I'd love to know who it was we were talking with though. haha

dalemurphy
02-25-2008, 02:36 PM

As with most Mack Brown coached players, Benson has been a disappointment in the NFL. Benson looked great as a freshman but looked awful his next two seasons. His senior season was very productive largely due to Vince, I agree.

This is the issue as I see it: Mack does an awful job of mentally and emotionally preparing his players for the NFL. I don't think they develop the work habits or the mental toughness to excel at the next level- because he coddles them and expects very little from them in regards to preparation and improvement.

Second Honeymoon
02-25-2008, 02:54 PM
As with most Mack Brown coached players, Benson has been a disappointment in the NFL. Benson looked great as a freshman but looked awful his next two seasons. His senior season was very productive largely due to Vince, I agree.

This is the issue as I see it: Mack does an awful job of mentally and emotionally preparing his players for the NFL. I don't think they develop the work habits or the mental toughness to excel at the next level- because he coddles them and expects very little from them in regards to preparation and improvement.

hahaha. why don't you go back to homering for Carr and being another mindless sheeple. you did a much better job of that than you do at criticizing UT's program and its NFL alumni. Your just another hater, so nothing new. btw that shining trophy in Austin is called the National Championship Trophy....they give that to the #1 team in the nation....sucks to be you.

oh and while you are at it, feel free to update your avatar. It's about as current as your takes are. sorry every player that UT churns out doesnt make the Pro Bowl. I am sure you would find something to nag and complain about even if that was the case.

Williams, Huff, Griffin, Young, S. Young, DJ, Rogers, Vasher, Leonard Davis, Cory Redding, Phil Dawson, Casey Hampton, Dockery, should I keep going? Why don't you go drink a glass of Moonshine at the Dixie Chicken (very progressive name) and do us all a favor.

Here are some real numbers to chew on:

278 - Texas has had 278 players drafted by the NFL.
68 - Texas has had a player selected in an NFL-record 68 consecutive drafts.
36 - Numbers of Longhorns chosen in the first round of the NFL Draft.
33 - Thirty-three different former Longhorns have been members of 22 different Super Bowl squads. Fourteen of those players have claimed Super Bowl Championship rings.
28 - The Longhorns have had 28 different Pro Bowlers representing 19 teams who have made a total of 68 appearances.
22 - There are currently 22 former Longhorns active in the NFL.
7 - Seven Longhorns have been taken in the NFL Draft's Top 10 overall picks in the last 11 years, tied for the most in the nation.
4 - Texas has had two players drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft in four of the last five years
3 - Texas has had three players selected with the first overall pick in the draft.

TEXANRED
02-25-2008, 03:36 PM
hahaha. why don't you go back to homering for Carr and being another mindless sheeple. you did a much better job of that than you do at criticizing UT's program and its NFL alumni. Your just another hater, so nothing new. btw that shining trophy in Austin is called the National Championship Trophy....they give that to the #1 team in the nation....sucks to be you.

oh and while you are at it, feel free to update your avatar. It's about as current as your takes are. sorry every player that UT churns out doesnt make the Pro Bowl. I am sure you would find something to nag and complain about even if that was the case.

Williams, Huff, Griffin, Young, S. Young, DJ, Rogers, Vasher, Leonard Davis, Cory Redding, Phil Dawson, Casey Hampton, Dockery, should I keep going? Why don't you go drink a glass of Antifreeze at the Dixie Chicken (very progressive name) and do us all a favor.

Here are some real numbersto chew on:

33 - Thirty-three different former Longhorns have been members of 22 different Super Bowl squads. Fourteen of those players have claimed Super Bowl Championship rings.
28 - The Longhorns have had 28 different Pro Bowlers representing 19 teams who have made a total of 68 appearances.
7 - Seven Longhorns have been taken in the NFL Draft's Top 10 overall picks in the last 11 years, tied for the most in the nation.
4 - Texas has had two players drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft in four of the last five years
3 - Texas has had three players selected with the first overall pick in the draft.

I was not even going to open this thread again, and then I saw Secondhoneymoon had posted, stopped and thought to myself, I wonder how he could make this about Carr? Then Bamm, there it was.

I find it amazing that you are able to twist everything into and anti-Carr post. We all realize you love UT, in fact, I have heard through the grape-vine that there are houses for sale in Austin right now. Really, Its true:http://www.homecity.com/?tag_id=6&OVRAW=austin%20real%20estate&OVKEY=austin%20real%20estate&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=11656470022&OVKWID=12319623522

We should get a thread going and post a link every time Second hijacks a thread with a David Carr reference.

Second Honeymoon
02-25-2008, 03:45 PM
I was not even going to open this thread again, and then I saw Secondhoneymoon had posted, stopped and thought to myself, I wonder how he could make this about Carr? Then Bamm, there it was.

I find it amazing that you are able to twist everything into and anti-Carr post. We all realize you love UT, in fact, I have heard through the grape-vine that there are houses for sale in Austin right now. Really, Its true:http://www.homecity.com/?tag_id=6&OVRAW=austin%20real%20estate&OVKEY=austin%20real%20estate&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=11656470022&OVKWID=12319623522

We should get a thread going and post a link every time Second hijacks a thread with a David Carr reference.

your the one making this about HWSNBN. if the only thing you read was the Carr blast, that is your own fault.

Specnatz
02-25-2008, 03:47 PM

Williams, Huff, Griffin, Young, S. Young, DJ, Rogers, Vasher, Leonard Davis, Cory Redding, Phil Dawson, Casey Hampton, Dockery, should I keep going? Why don't you go drink a glass of Antifreeze at the Dixie Chicken (very progressive name) and do us all a favor.

Nice set of numbers but he did say Mack Brown coached guys disappoint in the NFL, not the entire history of UT. But I like playing along so I will ask how many of the guys listed have had HoF careers, how many hoave won SuperBowl MVP trophys?

Benson is a huge disapointment in the NFL as well as Huff, neither have lived up to their first round picks and you can actually put VY into the catagory as well. But thanks for jumping up on that high horse and wanting another poster to die very very classy of you. Geez man!!

Ole Miss Texan
02-25-2008, 03:48 PM

To be fair, you may want to base your numbers on players that were actually coached by Mack Brown- so the 1999 NFL Draft and on???

EDIT: lol great minds think at the same time, specnatz

Second Honeymoon
02-25-2008, 03:52 PM
all the players I listed were coached by Brown....I even conveniently omitted a few :)

TEXANRED
02-25-2008, 04:02 PM
your the one making this about HWSNBN. if the only thing you read was the Carr blast, that is your own fault.

To be fair you told the guy to quit homering for Carr when he never mentioned the guys name. He made a joke about UT or more specifically Brown.

Just been noticing the posts I read your screaming about Carr like a Vietnam Vet having a flash back about "Charlie."

Not really commenting on this post alone, but your body of work as of late.

I do agree with you though, Carr does suck. There is a rumor going around though that once released from the Panthers, he will be going into talks with CBS to do commentating, and from what i hear they would like to put him in the booth to do Texans games.

Lucky
02-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Actually 8 in the top 7 since Mack took over:

Ricky Williams - 1999 - 5th overall
Leonard Davis - 2001 - 2nd overall
Mike Williams - 2002 - 4th overall
Quentin Jammer -2002 - 5th overall
Roy Williams - 2004 - 7th overall
Cedric Benson - 2005 - 4th overall
Vince Young - 2006 - 3rd overall
Michael Huff - 2006 - 7th overall

A pretty amazing amount of draft talent. But for the most part, they've underachieved at the NFL level. Is there some correlation between the school they played at, or is it mere coincidence? I think most were just overdrafted based upon measurables. Though I still believe Ricky for one had the talent, just too many demons.

Insideop
02-25-2008, 04:04 PM

Wow SH! You calling someone else a "hater!" Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! :potkettle: I just find it very, funny. lol:

Second Honeymoon
02-25-2008, 04:12 PM

A pretty amazing amount of draft talent. But for the most part, they've underachieved at the NFL level. Is there some correlation between the school they played at, or is it mere coincidence? I think most were just overdrafted based upon measurables. Though I still believe Ricky for one had the talent, just too many demons.

underachieve is just so speculative a term. mike williams has been a failure and Ricky obviously has been an embarassment to any pro-UT argument, but the rest of the guys are starters for their respective team. Couple those guys with the guys drafted after the #7 overall pick who are starters (DJ, Vasher, Rogers, Hampton, etc.) and you realize that there are a lot of guys in the NFL who are starting and are making plays. Maybe not enough to be in the Pro Bowl, but enough to not necessarily have them all labeled as 'underachievers'.

I do agree with you saying that measurables have had a lot to do with some of the early selections, but is that the fault of Mack? It's just indicative of the level of speed and size that Mack has been able to recruit and develop. Wait till next year's crop comes in.may be best yet.

TEXANRED
02-25-2008, 04:14 PM
almost forgot the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRC971jtvEg

mexican_texan
02-25-2008, 04:48 PM
People mocked me when I said the O-line was behind Benson and VY's success. Looks like I'll get the last laugh.

Honoring Earl 34
02-25-2008, 05:20 PM
People mocked me when I said the O-line was behind Benson and VY's success. Looks like I'll get the last laugh.

OH ... what you got ESPN ?

painekiller
02-25-2008, 06:12 PM
Ricky Williams - 1999 - 5th overall - wasted NFL talent to retire and do yoga, HC who drafted him fired and is out of football
Leonard Davis - 2001 - 2nd overall - drafted to play OLT and flopped, allowed to leave original drafting team, HC who drafted him fired and is out of football
Mike Williams - 2002 - 4th overall - Considered one of the biggest flops in recent football memory - cut for nothing by drafting teams, GM and HC both fired.
Quentin Jammer -2002 - 5th overall - Should have been a probowl player this season. HC that drafted him has been fired.
Roy Williams - 2004 - 7th overall - Is currently on the trading blocks for a 2nd round pick, did make probowl in 2007, has had injury riddled career. HC that drafted him has been fired
Cedric Benson - 2005 - 4th overall - Has been a flop as a starter, so much so that teams 2nd biggest need is considered RB.
Vince Young - 2006 - 3rd overall - Probowl OC for Titans has called VY out for lack of work ethic, has already had one of the games best OC fired.
Michael Huff - 2006 - 7th overall - Is rumored to be on the trading black for a 3rd round pick.

Not what I would call a steller group of 1st rounders. Most are considered to be club house problems. I will give VY and Huff passes due to not enough time transpiring, they could still be worthwhile picks.

bah007
02-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Ricky Williams - 1999 - 5th overall - wasted NFL talent to retire and do yoga, HC who drafted him fired and is out of football
Leonard Davis - 2001 - 2nd overall - drafted to play OLT and flopped, allowed to leave original drafting team, HC who drafted him fired and is out of football
Mike Williams - 2002 - 4th overall - Considered one of the biggest flops in recent football memory - cut for nothing by drafting teams, GM and HC both fired.
Quentin Jammer -2002 - 5th overall - Should have been a probowl player this season. HC that drafted him has been fired.
Roy Williams - 2004 - 7th overall - Is currently on the trading blocks for a 2nd round pick, did make probowl in 2007, has had injury riddled career. HC that drafted him has been fired
Cedric Benson - 2005 - 4th overall - Has been a flop as a starter, so much so that teams 2nd biggest need is considered RB.
Vince Young - 2006 - 3rd overall - Probowl OC for Titans has called VY out for lack of work ethic, has already had one of the games best OC fired.
Michael Huff - 2006 - 7th overall - Is rumored to be on the trading black for a 3rd round pick.

Not what I would call a steller group of 1st rounders. Most are considered to be club house problems. I will give VY and Huff passes due to not enough time transpiring, they could still be worthwhile picks.

You convieniently leave out that Leonard Davis made the Pro Bowl as a OG this year.

Roy Williams just might be the best player on his entire team.

And its Jammer's fault that his coach got fired???

I guess Andre Johnson should be considered a bust since he couldnt keep his first head coach around.

Bubbajwp
02-25-2008, 07:21 PM
I thought this thread was about a Texans rumor?:thinking:

Second Honeymoon
02-25-2008, 07:43 PM
I thought this thread was about a Texans rumor?:thinking:

no, some yayhoo wanted to take some cheap shots at Mack Brown and at Longhorns in the NFL and he was called on it. lord knows things arent perfect in Austin but to make assertations that UT sucks for NFL talent is just laughable at best. Some people need to just learn how to read and make cogent arguments before they go spouting off at the mouth about things they no next to nothing about.

Specnatz
02-25-2008, 07:58 PM
no, some yayhoo wanted to take some cheap shots at Mack Brown and at Longhorns in the NFL and he was called on it. lord knows things arent perfect in Austin but to make assertations that UT sucks for NFL talent is just laughable at best. Some people need to just learn how to read and make cogent arguments before they go spouting off at the mouth about things they no next to nothing about.

Ya know SH you could easily follow your own advice because if you look at your reply and rant after someone made a statement saying the players under Mack have not done so well in the NFL. It is an opinion and while you may disagree you could have easily made your case without saying a lot of the things you said and also bringing up players who are no longer on the Texans, but you did not do that.

mexican_texan
02-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Looks like we're trying to trade for Chester Taylor.

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.cfm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GFpMb0sOaw)

dalemurphy
02-25-2008, 08:16 PM

I've lived in Austin since 1995. I didn't go to UT but I certainly spent years rooting for them- I still really like the basketball team. However, the years of these myopic and obnoxious fans make it almost impossible to root for the football team. I was excited when Mack Brown came to UT. It was certainly good for the program. However, by the time the Roy Williams, Corey Redding class became seniors I became disenchanted with Brown's coaching ability. There are many things Mack does well. However, most of his elite talent has underperformed, wilted in big games against elite competition, and not exhibited the work ethic or intensity needed to excel in the NFL. That doesn't mean that Mack Brown, as a whole, is a bad person to head the Texas program. I don't understand how anyone can look at the immense talent that's walked into and out of the UT doors and not see that they underperform at an alarming rate.

What is so amazing about Vince Young, is that he was able to grow and develop and lift the level of that team despite those conditions.

Of all the talent that has entered the NFL from UT, who has been better than expected?

LDavis
MWilliams
Jammer
Benson
RWilliams
Huff
CSimms
Roy Williams
Derrick Johnson
Corey Redding
Shaun Rogers

and many others...

I'd agree that Vince Young may one day become a very good NFL QB. Also, I think Casey Hampton has at least met expecations as a very good DT. Other than that, I struggle to come up with any.

Meanwhile, if you look at the other schools that bring in similar talent, you will find plenty of examples of players playing at an elite level.

Look up guys from USC, Miami, Ohio St.... that's the talent level Mack brings in.

painekiller
02-25-2008, 08:22 PM
You convieniently leave out that Leonard Davis made the Pro Bowl as a OG this year.

Roy Williams just might be the best player on his entire team.

And its Jammer's fault that his coach got fired???

I guess Andre Johnson should be considered a bust since he couldnt keep his first head coach around.

Thought I had put in Davis's probowl appearance, at a position he was not drafted to play, OGs are never taken #2 in the salary cap era. It got deleted in an edit I did to shorten my comments. I know his brother very well, and have had very good insight into Leonard.

Roy is a talent when he is playing, and he has had run ins with his now former OC, the pass happy Mike Martz, only WR I have heard of to be unhappy with Martz. And he is on the trading blocks now because?

Jammer's coach being let go was only mentioned because most of these player have been traded, let move on to a new team, been cut, or had the regime that drafted them fired.

Jammer so far is the only player in this group to seem to be above anyone questioning his commitment. And as I stated before I will give Huff a pass due to his length of time in the league.

TEXANRED
02-25-2008, 08:49 PM

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.cfm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GFpMb0sOaw)

ESPN is reporting we may be looking at Duece

http://www.espn.com/nosaints/trade/nfl.cfm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRC971jtvEg)

dalemurphy
02-25-2008, 08:59 PM

http://www.espn.com/nosaints/trade/nfl.cfm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRC971jtvEg)

Okay, maybe SecondHoneymoon is right about me, because I've totally fallen for this gag twice now!

threetoedpete
02-25-2008, 08:59 PM
OMG texas Red !!! I thought I'd been transported to a discos in the eighties. I'm going to need a tekillya shot after that lol.

dalemurphy
02-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Okay, maybe SecondHoneymoon is right about me, because I've totally fallen for this gag twice now!

Not only that, but I clicked the first thread three times, thinking something weird had happened and somehow if I was persistant enough with the link, I would eventually be able to read the story about us acquiring Chester Taylor!:gun:

J-Russ
02-25-2008, 09:03 PM

Edgerrin James coming back to the AFC south?

www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm (http://rebelrockrunners.org/gallery/d/15309-2/ban_him.jpg)

TEXANS84
02-25-2008, 09:04 PM

Mah!!! You got me too...

Hardcore Texan
02-25-2008, 09:18 PM

"You know the rules and so do I."

drewmar74
02-25-2008, 10:06 PM

You sir, are a cold and heartless SOB.

mussop
02-26-2008, 01:18 AM
Jammer's coach being let go was only mentioned because most of these player have been traded, let move on to a new team, been cut, or had the regime that drafted them fired. .

To be fair, when you consider that most if not all of the guys you pointed out were drafted high by bad teams. How many teams with top ten picks keep their coaches?

Malloy
02-26-2008, 05:03 AM

I think you're on to something. The big schools have a much larger exposure, specifically to the public but I suspect this is the case for NFL-teams and coaches too.

I've had this thought for awhile now actually, think it started when we drafted Mathis. Alot of people would comment on how the hell we thought we would be able to get talent from 'such a small school without a decent program'. Also when we had our asses chewed a season or two ago, the reaction by many were that how could we lose to 'some unknown QB from a no talent school'.

Fans buy into the hype, ESPN does (and creates its own hype at the same time). I find it hard to believe that no scouts or NFL coaches should be influenced by this hype too. After all, larger schools with money-making athlethics programs do spend on advertisement and PR. :)

Kaiser Toro
02-26-2008, 08:24 AM

I am quoting your post as it has become the point of reference the last two pages.

Mack Brown is what he is a great college coach. He rebuilt a program and has restored the luster that few schools could only dream of. For better or worse Texas has become a system Offense and most of the players in this discussion are Greg Davis recruited, coddled and/or "developed" guys into the system. Yep they were great talents in HS and have some name notoriety. Yep they came to a top flight school and played in big games and won many of them. But in my opinion our offense is the most exciting, inconsistent offense in the nation. I can't stand it watching Texas football players playing a style of play that looks totally foreign. In my opinion it simply has no flow and when you do not have a VY to run it, players lose faith real quick because it is a style that they believe, or the people back home believe, is a gimmick.

Yes HS football in Texas is changing and I believe change is good, but what needs to change is Greg Davis quickly, as the trending does not only raise an eye brow.

Unless I missed it, the only thing more alarming is everyone leaving off 1st rounder and Super Bowl Champ Aaron Ross. UT has become Secondary U.

I will say this about Benson watching him in HS. You knew he was a NFL player as eveytime he ran he would fall forward and pick up another two yards and he just ran with a purpose, but was never a burner (on the field). I am not surprised he has not panned out, nor was I surprised when he was drafted so high. He has a couple of 1,000 yard seasons in him left, in my opinion, which would round out an average career, which is exactly what I thought he would be.

Texans_Chick
02-26-2008, 09:10 AM
I am quoting your post as it has become the point of reference the last two pages.

Mack Brown is what he is a great college coach. He rebuilt a program and has restored the luster that few schools could only dream of. For better or worse Texas has become a system Offense and most of the players in this discussion are Greg Davis recruited, coddled and/or "developed" guys into the system. Yep they were great talents in HS and have some name notoriety. Yep they came to a top flight school and played in big games and won many of them. But in my opinion our offense is the most exciting, inconsistent offense in the nation. I can't stand it watching Texas football players playing a style of play that looks totally foreign. In my opinion it simply has no flow and when you do not have a VY to run it, players lose faith real quick because it is a style that they believe, or the people back home believe, is a gimmick.

Yes HS football in Texas is changing and I believe change is good, but what needs to change is Greg Davis quickly, as the trending does not only raise an eye brow.

Unless I missed it, the only thing more alarming is everyone leaving off 1st rounder and Super Bowl Champ Aaron Ross. UT has become Secondary U.

I will say this about Benson watching him in HS. You knew he was a NFL player as eveytime he ran he would fall forward and pick up another two yards and he just ran with a purpose, but was never a burner (on the field). I am not surprised he has not panned out, nor was I surprised when he was drafted so high. He has a couple of 1,000 yard seasons in him left, in my opinion, which would round out an average career, which is exactly what I thought he would be.

Nice post.

I think that coaches all have different styles. Brown's style is one that recruits want to come to. He gets the best coming out of high school, and with that comes some ego from the kids He protects them in a bubble and defends them up until the point that something indefensible happens.

If you have had a coach that is like a father to you and cares for you and your family, and you go to school in a very friendly environment, where your job is almost handed to you as a recruiting promise, it is a dash of cold water to have to really work and compete for a job.

Coming from a protected environment with a niiiiiice coach, it sucks to go to a backside-chewing coach. Ricky Williams is the exaggerated version of that, but to a lesser degree I think it applies to some of the others. If everyone always treats you like the king and gives you special privileges, you might lose your desire to work hard.

Funny how Brown put more discipline on his players pre-bowl game last year and made them compete more.

eriadoc
02-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Re: Texas players in the pros - Casey Hampton is the best player to come out of UT in the past 10 years, IMO. Of course, he's a nose tackle, so he's not going to get much recognition.

Bubbajwp
02-26-2008, 10:17 AM

You just destroyed your entire argument by misspelling know.:photos: lol

Bubbajwp
02-26-2008, 10:18 AM
WR Roy Williams has done pretty good in a bad situation.

PHAROAH
02-26-2008, 11:51 AM
I haven't seen anything about the Texans trading for anyone.

Specnatz
02-26-2008, 12:08 PM
I haven't seen anything about the Texans trading for anyone.

That is why it is 3rd hand rumor.

Second Honeymoon
02-26-2008, 12:45 PM
You just destroyed your entire argument by misspelling know.:photos: lol

oh know.....

bigbrewster2000
02-26-2008, 02:25 PM
oh know.....

that was good.

You must spread rep.......

Bubbajwp
02-26-2008, 02:51 PM
oh know.....

Know that was clever. :pirate:

Yankee_In_TX
02-28-2008, 04:47 PM
He is supposedly signing at 12:01, still NO idea who he is.

Errant Hothy
02-28-2008, 04:55 PM

Joke?

If not where did yo uhear this?

Texan_Bill
02-28-2008, 04:57 PM

You SOB... You're on the list with Lauren and Dante, mister.

Yankee_In_TX
02-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Joke?

If not where did yo uhear this?

610 has also heard the rumors we've heard. And we supposedly have this guy locked, who ever he is.

michaelm
02-28-2008, 05:10 PM
610 has also heard the rumors we've heard. And we supposedly have this guy locked, who ever he is.

Can you summarize what you know of this rumor so we don't have to go back and re-read the thread?

Yankee_In_TX
02-28-2008, 05:12 PM
Can you summarize what you know of this rumor so we don't have to go back and re-read the thread?

Free agent RB.

badboy
02-28-2008, 05:15 PM
I will be listening to the radio at midnight. I will put it right by my head while I lie in bed thinking "LT? RB? CB?" Instead of counting sheep, I re-arranged the top 100 guys.

HOU-TEX
02-28-2008, 05:18 PM
I will be listening to the radio at midnight. I will put it right by my head while I lie in bed thinking "LT? RB? CB?" Instead of counting sheep, I re-arranged the top 100 guys.

I think it's 11:00 our time badboy. :cool:

michaelm
02-28-2008, 05:19 PM
Free agent RB.

I kinda figured that... I thought you might have heard something more specific.

Yankee_In_TX
02-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Nope, 6 pages, no new news since the 1st post :(

michaelm
02-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Nope, 6 pages, no new news since the 1st post :(

OK, I got lost somehow... I forgot what the original rumor was...:)
I thought you had heard something else.
I do a lot of my meassage boarding from my couch after midnight, so some of the details might fall through the cracks from time to time...

gwallaia
02-28-2008, 05:32 PM
I heard the running back's name is Jonathan Tuttle.

Yankee_In_TX
02-28-2008, 05:35 PM
I heard the running back's name is Jonathan Tuttle.

Captain?

Errant Hothy
02-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Captain?

That's the first thing that came to my mind as well.

drewmar74
02-28-2008, 05:44 PM

Okay. Is this a joke or is this serious?

I'm kinda gunshy after getting "Astley-ed"

Yankee_In_TX
02-28-2008, 05:47 PM
Okay. Is this a joke or is this serious.

I'm kinda gunshy after getting "Astley-ed"

We'll find out in the morning, I guess.

gwallaia
02-28-2008, 05:49 PM
I'm telling ya, it's Tuttle.

TexansLucky13
02-28-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm telling ya, it's Tuttle.

Who?

Errant Hothy
02-28-2008, 05:50 PM
The 12:01 time leads me to believe it's either Derek Ward or Micheal Turner...right?

TEXANS84
02-28-2008, 05:55 PM
The 12:01 time leads me to believe it's either Derek Ward or Micheal Turner...right?

One of these guys.....except maybe Vernand Morency.

My guess is Ward, just like the writer.

michaelm
02-28-2008, 06:42 PM

One of these guys.....except maybe Vernand Morency.

My guess is Ward, just like the writer.

I've been saying I thought Ward would be a good pick up for a while. I like his bang for the buck potential.
Ward would be an affordable signing that would improve the RB position, and allow us to spend bigger $$$ elsewhere.

Second Honeymoon
02-28-2008, 06:43 PM
If its Ward or Turner, I just hope we didn't overpay for their services. I would probably prefer Turner but it seems the price would be really high to secure him

The1ApplePie
02-28-2008, 06:46 PM
With a draft full of game breakers at RB, we are getting... Derrick Ward?:lion:

Still, he's better than the money pit that is Michael Turner

J-Russ
02-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Key free-agent acquisition since Kubs took over:

06' - Mike Flanagan & Anthony Weaver

07' - Ahman Green

The outcome? Bust, and waste of money. Probably going to cut 2 out of 3, maybe all 3.

Hopefully the third top FA signing will turn out alright, whoever it may be ( I'm thinking its Turner).

Like they say, third-times the charm. *fingers crosses*

ATXtexanfan
02-28-2008, 08:10 PM
the suspense hurts, could it really be turner?

J-Russ
02-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Bears, Lions And Saints Intereted In Turner

28th February, 2008 - 5:04 pm

Union-Tribune - Chicago, Detroit and New Orleans are the teams most heavily interested in San Diego running back Michael Turner, according to the Union-Tribune.

Turner could be a free agent until after the draft because of the large crop of running backs who will be available.

Turner is an unrestricted free agent.

http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_wiretap_archives/7576/20080228/bears_lions_and_saints_intereted_in_turner/

ruh-roh...

Errant Hothy
02-28-2008, 08:35 PM
It'll probably be us resigning Dayne at 11:01.

CoastalTexan
02-28-2008, 08:36 PM
New Orleans makes me chuckle, they would have some serious $$$$$$$ in their backfield.

Maddict5
02-28-2008, 08:49 PM
chris brown

TheRealJoker
02-28-2008, 08:53 PM
http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_wiretap_archives/7576/20080228/bears_lions_and_saints_intereted_in_turner/

ruh-roh...

Why do the Saints need Turner when they have Barry Sayers?

dalemurphy
02-28-2008, 08:56 PM
chris brown

uh oh! that name is scary and rings true. I really don't want him. We just went through another injury-riddled season at RB, the last thing I want is a guy who runs straight up, can't stay healthy, and has been in the league for 5 years.

Insideop
02-28-2008, 10:33 PM
Why do the Saints need Turner when they have Barry Sayers?

Lol! I was just going to say something about why would the Saints want Turner when they already had "the greatest RB to come out of college in 20 years" when I read your post. Thanks for the good laugh Joker! :laughjump:

GlassHalfFull
02-28-2008, 11:59 PM
10:58 pm. 3 minutes, who will be the first to find the news and post? The suspense is killing me.

drewmar74
02-29-2008, 12:02 AM
10:58 pm. 3 minutes, who will be the first to find the news and post? The suspense is killing me.

Dunno.

I'm tired and sitting up solely to see who it is.

GlassHalfFull
02-29-2008, 12:03 AM
Dunno.

Me too, hence the haiku spurt in the other thread. I'm blaming Yankee for this. :bat:

AnthonyE
02-29-2008, 12:06 AM

ruh-roh...

Lions and Saints and Bears?

"Oh my!", would be a more appropriate phrase.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/26/Judy_Garland_in_The_Wizard_of_Oz_trailer_2.jpg

Maddict5
02-29-2008, 12:08 AM
*chirping crickets*

awesome

WesmanTexanfan
02-29-2008, 12:11 AM
*chirping crickets*

awesome

yep.... hmmm.....

if yor reading this, you should have another page open searching for news....

drewmar74
02-29-2008, 12:12 AM
yep.... hmmm.....

I give up. I'm going to go drink a beer and catch some zzzz's

I might check back in a bit.

AnthonyE
02-29-2008, 12:12 AM
Dunno.

Ha, me too. It would suck if no news breaks. >.<

I give up. I'm going to go drink a beer and catch some zzzz's

I might check back in a bit.

lol, just read this...

mexican_texan
02-29-2008, 12:21 AM
It's Julius Jones.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/nfl/nfl-rumors.html (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y7WDWP8WMs)

AnthonyE
02-29-2008, 12:22 AM
It's Julius Jones.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/nfl/nfl-rumors.html (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y7WDWP8WMs)

LOL, DAMNIT. :bat:

GlassHalfFull
02-29-2008, 12:24 AM
It's Julius Jones.

Bad MT, just for that you lose your 2nd round pick in the TV characters draft. BTW, you're up.

drewmar74
02-29-2008, 12:24 AM
It's Julius Jones.

DAMN YOU!

I got back out of bed for THAT!

WesmanTexanfan
02-29-2008, 12:40 AM
lol, damn, at least it wasnt rick roll.....

AnthonyE
02-29-2008, 02:08 AM
So far not good. :o I'm going to bed. >.<

WesmanTexanfan
02-29-2008, 02:20 AM
So far not good. :o I'm going to bed. >.<

yep, out...

kiwitexansfan
02-29-2008, 03:24 AM
It's Julius Jones.

Not sure what made me sicker the idea of Julius Jones becoming a texan or what was at the end of that link....

Actually its not even close someone delete that link now!

Yankee_In_TX
02-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Morning, no news.

Errant Hothy
02-29-2008, 10:26 AM
610 is saying that Maurice Hicks (49ers) will be making a visit either today to tomorrow.

drewmar74
02-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Sooooooo, if there was a deal that was so ironclad that it was going to be announced at 2301 CST and here we are almost 12 hours later with no announcement - does that mean that it was just a rumor?

Errant Hothy
02-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Sooooooo, if there was a deal that was so ironclad that it was going to be announced at 2301 CST and here we are almost 12 hours later with no announcement - does that mean that it was just a rumor?

Would seem so, or an agent is involved, or another team called to match/better the offer and the "rumored" RB is going for a visit there before here.

hadaad
02-29-2008, 11:40 AM
I generally tend to think that teams are worried that if they sign a guy that close to the opening of free agency, they'll be under scrutiny if not investigation for tampering.

So while I think that the rumour is just a rumour, the fact that they didn't sign anyone right away does not mean they don't have a wink-nudge deal in place.

Yankee_In_TX
02-29-2008, 11:57 AM

This is a "rumor" thread :)

drewmar74
02-29-2008, 12:05 PM
This is a "rumor" thread :)

I know.

It just felt, at times, that we had moved a little past rumor stage.

Speaking of rumors, I heard a rumor from a guy I know who's married to a lady who's cousin works with a dude who used to work with a woman who was college roommates with a lady who dated for a brief span a man who used to be in the same bowling league with the sales rep that sells all of the Texans' athletic supporters that the team was in heated negotiations with the New Orleans Saints to trade our entire roster for Reggie Bush.

buddyboy
02-29-2008, 12:10 PM
I know.

Speaking of rumors, I heard a rumor from a guy I know who's married to a lady who's cousin works with a dude who used to work with a woman who was college roommates with a lady who dated for a brief span a man who used to be in the same bowling league with the sales rep that sells all of the Texans' athletic supporters that the team was in heated negotiations with the New Orleans Saints to trade our entire roster for Reggie Bush.

GET IT DONE SMITH.

Dpwrath
02-29-2008, 12:11 PM
i want michael turner:aggressive:

Yankee_In_TX
02-29-2008, 12:18 PM
I know.

Nooooo, you're wrong. It's for Vince Young,

drewmar74
02-29-2008, 12:22 PM

Negative.

Structural engineers deemed the retractable roof at Reliant as incapable of handling Vince's "wicked awesome-ness" on a week to week basis. They were afraid that by the third home game the roof panels would fly off causing great harm to those around the stadium.

b0ng
02-29-2008, 01:24 PM

This makes me wonder, did David Carr ever "just win games"?

J-Russ
02-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Anthony,

I've heard it's true. I can't confirm these two players, but sources within the NFL who i went graduate school with tell me the Texans have aggressively pursued Green Bay RB Ryan Grant and San Diego RB Micheal Turner. Now, weather they end up with us or not, don't quote me on that. I have also heard that the Texans are very interested in CB DeAngelo Hall, since the Falcons have him on the market. Again, don't hold me to these players. That's what I've heard from around my circle of Ivy League colleagues. If I hear anything else, I will post it as soon as possible. Thanks -TH

=] It's not official yet, that's why nobody can publish it. They haven't signed anyone yet. I will just say that they have looked and are still looking at Ryan Grant, Micheal Turner, Derrick Ward, Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell, Lamont Jordan,and a few others that I will list once I get them. I will be up all night, so feel free to check in with me throughout the night. It's 2:31am up here in the NE, so Free agency has already started at midnight. Just hang in there-TH

Lost,

Ya'll are killing me...LOL. It's not that I can't tell. It's because those RB's I mentioned and several others are on the table and Kubiak/smith are figuring out with Reeves who would be best for our zone-block and at the same time, they are trying to work out contracts with everyone of those RB's to see which one the Texans 1) can afford and 2) will have the biggest impact, without killing the salary cap, so that they can sign additional needed free agents. So, it's not like they have signed anyone "officially" yet. They are at this moment working the phones with those agents. My buddies who work for the Texans are even up at Reliant right now, because McNair requested they work through the night to make some headway on signings if they are able to. Hey, think about this, you guys are an hour behind me. So, I am having to stay up an hour later than my fellow Houstnoians/Texans readers, but I am very happy to do it for the readers. Heck, I want some news so I can move on to other things tonight. -TH

What about Grant is he a ZBS runner?

Not sure. He's young and could be taught. LATEST NEWS...

I was just told that Micheal Turner's agent, Bus Cook, stated that Turner just had rotator cuff surgery last week and will need 6 weeks of rehab. However, Houston, Chicago, and Tampa Bay are the three front runners for Turner's services (with the Texans in the lead). I just got off the phone with a colleague in the NFL. However, that doesn't mean Houston is going to land him. Please keep in mind if he doesn't come here to say that I said he was. I am just giving the readers the latest scoop from NFL sources and ex-classmates of mine who wouldn't make things up to me. -TH

I don't know about Grant as a ZBS. He's too young and probably never played in a ZB before. But, Kubiak/Smith/Reeves aren't just looking for players that have experience in the ZBS, they are looking for players that have the ability and intelligence to learn and excel in it. Dayne is the one going. That's why the Texans are probably going to get RB Mike Anderson (formerly of Denver and most recently Baltimore). Anderson will take Dayne's place. -TH

Pete,

Kubiak is trying to take care of the RB position via free agency and so that the entire draft can be focused on bolstering the secondary and pass rushing and some OL help. -TH

From what I'm hearing, Micheal Turner is asking for $ 23million. That's why San Diego said thanks, but no thanks. -TH

I can't give a specific answer because they have 4-5 RB on the table trying to get the best deal out of one of them. -TH

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2008/02/2008_free_agent_tracking_chart_1.html

Some bits from Thomas Hilton FanBlog.

Now I don't know if we should take this guy rumors seriously, he kept metioning Reeves, I'm assuming as the O-line coach. Weird...

Triple347
02-29-2008, 04:24 PM
Regarding Ryan Grant and whether he is a ZBS system back, the answer is yes. GB ran a lot of zone schemes with him, and he does a good job of making his cut and getting down hill.

Ole Miss Texan
02-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Negative.

Structural engineers deemed the retractable roof at Reliant as incapable of handling Vince's "wicked awesome-ness" on a week to week basis. They were afraid that by the third home game the roof panels would fly off causing great harm to those around the stadium.

That's also why Chuck Norris is not allowed inside Reliant Stadium for long periods of time.