PDA

View Full Version : Asante Samuel looking for 10 year $100 million contract

Hottoddie
02-23-2008, 07:36 PM
With $30 million guaranteed up front. When did he get so stupid? Better yet, what team will be so stupid? LOL

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Patriots | Samuel looking for 10-year contract
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 12:15:11 -0800

Karen Guregian, of the Boston Herald, reports New England Patriots CB Asante Samuel, who will become an unrestricted free agent this offseason, is reportedly looking for a 10-year contract worth $100 million. He is also looking for $30 million guaranteed up front.

DiehardChris
02-23-2008, 07:40 PM
He's not stupid. The team that pays it is stupid... and someone will pay it. The only part that's even important is the guaranteed money, since NFL contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on.

bah007
02-23-2008, 07:47 PM
From here on out, CB's are going to start breaking the bank every year, because a shutdown CB is slowly becoming the second-most important position on a team (behind QB of course).

Houston TexanUK
02-23-2008, 07:49 PM
From here on out, CB's are going to start breaking the bank every year, because a shutdown CB is slowly becoming the second-most important position on a team (behind QB of course).

I always have, and always will, gone by the philosophy that without a good D-Line, a CB will not be effective.
Look at Champ Bailey and Dre Bly in Denver. Compare that to NY Giants, who get great pressure on the QB. Their secondary is made to look a hell of alot better than it is because of them.

GuerillaBlack
02-23-2008, 07:57 PM
That is a lot of money. He would be only the second player (behind Michael Vick) to break $100 million right?

Houston TexanUK
02-23-2008, 08:04 PM
That is a lot of money. He would be only the second player (behind Michael Vick) to break $100 million right?

Drew Bledsoe
Carson Palmer
Donovan McNabb

3 Others I can think of immediately.

WesmanTexanfan
02-23-2008, 08:05 PM
hahaha, the 10 year part is the funy part....

bah007
02-23-2008, 08:10 PM
I always have, and always will, gone by the philosophy that without a good D-Line, a CB will not be effective.
Look at Champ Bailey and Dre Bly in Denver. Compare that to NY Giants, who get great pressure on the QB. Their secondary is made to look a hell of alot better than it is because of them.

That's not a bad philosophy. But guys like Champ Bailey & Terence Newman make up for that lack of pressure by shutting WRs down.

jaayteetx
02-23-2008, 08:19 PM
looks like he won't be coming here

Houston TexanUK
02-23-2008, 08:21 PM
That's not a bad philosophy. But guys like Champ Bailey & Terence Newman make up for that lack of pressure by shutting WRs down.

But if the QB has enough time in the pocket on every down, someone will eventually come open. Just ask Tom Brady the entire season.

If a DE is on top of you, you have to force the pass. Just ask Tom Brady in the Superbowl.

NitroGSXR
02-23-2008, 08:22 PM
I think we have a solid defensive line. I'm hoping we'll take another bookend at #18, Calais Campbell. If he's available, then I say we need give Asante his money.

Reality hits me now... we probably won't be making a big splash in FA this season. There's not too many outstanding FAs out there that haven't been franchised or whatsoever. Yeah, sleepers here and there but that's a hit or miss as we all know being from the Asserly era then Ahman Green (I'm still a believer in him so don't get me wrong). I'm simply tired of overpaying for those type of players. Asante is not that. Trufant is not that. Amoshuga is not that. There is a deep and expensive market for CBs and their prices will be grossly inflated because of that. What this tells me is that maybe their overall value will drop and teams will not be able to franchise CBs in the future and we'd be able to snag one if we miss out on one this season. Blah. I don't know. I'm sure I'm just grasping at flawed logic or something like that.

We rank in the middle of the pack when it comes to FA money so I'm not entirely too optimistic that we make a hefty splash. We may have a ton of money compared to past seasons but we're still down there. He's going to a team who can afford to pay him with the team they have. We still have too many holes across the board to even think about snagging a 10 million dollar a year FA. I see us as filling those before hitting the market for a superstar.

I really hope we get Asante though. That would be a sight to see...

bah007
02-23-2008, 09:08 PM
But if the QB has enough time in the pocket on every down, someone will eventually come open. Just ask Tom Brady the entire season.

If a DE is on top of you, you have to force the pass. Just ask Tom Brady in the Superbowl.

I agree with that.

My point is this... how many times are those open guys being covered by the likes of Bailey & Newman?

A great d-line makes your secondary look better, but it works the other way too.

A shutdown CB is a commodity that most teams dont have. And thats why they are starting to get paid, starting with Clements last year.

b0ng
02-23-2008, 11:03 PM
I agree with that.

A shutdown CB is a commodity that most teams dont have. And thats why they are starting to get paid, starting with Clements last year.

I'm pretty sure the only reason Clements got paid last year, and Samuel expects to get paid this year is that they were pretty much the best CB's available in FA, and they were a cut above all of the other available CB's. Look at Samuel this year. Who in FA could a team sign that is considered on a level near Samuel? Randall Gay? Drayton Florence? Same thing happened last year with Clements. There was basically Clements and a bunch of other guys.

If Trufant and Asomogha weren't franchised this year, he wouldn't get a deal like that.

bah007
02-23-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm pretty sure the only reason Clements got paid last year, and Samuel expects to get paid this year is that they were pretty much the best CB's available in FA, and they were a cut above all of the other available CB's. Look at Samuel this year. Who in FA could a team sign that is considered on a level near Samuel? Randall Gay? Drayton Florence? Same thing happened last year with Clements. There was basically Clements and a bunch of other guys.

If Trufant and Asomogha weren't franchised this year, he wouldn't get a deal like that.

LOL. That's exactly what I've been saying.

Every year from here on out the top CB FA is gonna get paid, whether they are top notch or not, because CB is becoming a very important position.

Marcus
02-23-2008, 11:39 PM

Relying on "shutdown corners" like Champ Bailey & Terence Newman to make up for the lack of pressure . . . is bad philosopy.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, makes up for lack of pressure.

bah007
02-23-2008, 11:44 PM
Relying on "shutdown corners" like Champ Bailey & Terence Newman to make up for the lack of pressure . . . is bad philosopy.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, makes up for lack of pressure.

I must not be getting my points across very well.

I'm not saying that a CB can cover a guy for like 15-20 seconds straight.

I'm saying that if your team has a weak pass rush, but good CBs, then it can HELP cover that weakness, not make it go away.

If it takes your line 6 seconds to pressure the QB, but you have guys that can cover for 6 seconds, then you can still apply pressure. If they cant cover for that long, then you're screwed.

Marcus
02-23-2008, 11:46 PM
Any free agent cornerback worth his salt will bust any team's salary cap.

Let's hope Rick Smith stays smart and restricts his CB search to draft day.

whiskeyrbl
02-24-2008, 07:07 AM
I expect the Redskins, Bengals, Cowboys, and Titans to be stupid enough to throw that kind of money towards him.

edo783
02-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Asante Samuel looking for 10 year $100 million contract

Looking and finding are two different things. The team that gives up that and 30 mill. gauranteed might as well bend over, because it's coming.

Nawzer
02-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Well you can't blame a man for dreaming. But that's hilarious!