PDA

View Full Version : My 2008 Offseason Picks

TK_Gamer
02-20-2008, 10:23 PM
I think there are some big possiblities this year in the offseason and they don't all cost the bank. For free agency I like the following:

OT Jordan Gross
CB Randall Gay
RB Derrick Ward
DE Justin Smith

I know we cant afford more than a couple of these guys, and Ward is RFA so I'm not sure what the pick requirement for him would be, but he played really strong in relief and showed some sparks of potential in our system. I think Jordan Gross could come in and have an impact on day one in any number of roles, he could cover RT if we move Winston to LT or could play swing for Saalam or Winston, maybe even win the starting LT spot outright. Justin smith is....well he is Justin Smith he has heart, he is quick, and with him at RDE Mario can play at his more comfortable LDE wich makes Weaver expendable(and his overpriced paycheck). Of the DB's available I like Gay the best, I think he has the most upside and the best athleticism.

With the draft I think BPA in round 1 or trade down and pick up a 2nd round pick. Space eating, run stuffing DT and DB's then O-line future prospects and RB's in later rounds.

The biggest problem I see this year is we have alot of free agents to either put under contract or release. I don't envy the front offices job this year, as each decision effects another decision somewhere else. I do feel positive about our Defense, not quite so positive about offense. but with Gibbs we may be able to turn that around too. Thoughts?

Lucky
02-20-2008, 10:37 PM
I think there are some big possiblities this year in the offseason and they don't all cost the bank. For free agency I like the following:

OT Jordan Gross
Gross got the franchise tag (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d806c2840&template=without-video&confirm=true), yesterday.
The Panthers decided Tuesday to place the franchise tag on Jordan Gross (http://www.nfl.com/players/jordangross/profile?id=GRO400181), all but assuring the right tackle will remain in Carolina next season. After failing to agree on a long-term deal, the Panthers offered Gross a one-year contract for $7.45 million, which is the average salary of the top five highest-paid offensive linemen in the NFL from last season.
I don't know if Gross would have "cost the bank". But, he would have gotten a $50+ million contract. I don't think Smith or Gay would come cheaply, either. Ward? He's an OK backup. Not sure if he's worth chasing in free agency.

TK_Gamer
02-20-2008, 10:48 PM
Gross got the franchise tag (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d806c2840&template=without-video&confirm=true), yesterday.
I don't know if Gross would have "cost the bank". But, he would have gotten a $50+ million contract. I don't think Smith or Gay would come cheaply, either. Ward? He's an OK backup. Not sure if he's worth chasing in free agency.

sorry didnt hear about Gross getting the tag, I picked him purely as what I thought was the best O-line FA available, the others are mostly aging guys or mediocre. I also like Ryan Lilja, not sure what his status is though.

kiwitexansfan
02-21-2008, 03:28 AM
Is Gross really worth top-5 OT money?? Not sure that is a great tag by the Panthers.

Gay will be in hot demand too, don't like our chances with him too.

Ditto with Justin Smith.

Derrick Ward is a possibility though, but is he an upgrade over what we have already??

Maddict5
02-21-2008, 05:47 AM
lilja resigned with the colts
ward has a broken leg so no
and i think justin smith would be a bad signing (jmo).. we'd pay too much for what he offers..plus hes pretty old too

Specnatz
02-21-2008, 11:04 AM
lilja resigned with the colts
ward has a broken leg so no
and i think justin smith would be a bad signing (jmo).. we'd pay too much for what he offers..plus hes pretty old too

Link please because I have not seen that reported anywhere.

HOU-TEX
02-21-2008, 11:07 AM

It was on NFLN too.

On Wednesday, Indianapolis signed guard Ryan Lilja to a five-year deal worth about $19 million, team owner Jim Irsay said.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d806c49d9&template=with-video&confirm=true

CloakNNNdagger
02-21-2008, 11:09 AM

ILJA SIGNING (http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g23YkZiMrqERi6c7am7UxwF2oEvgD8UUDUB80)
On Wednesday, the Colts signed starting guard Ryan Lilja to a five-year deal that team owner Jim Irsay said was worth about $19 million and included a signing bonus of roughly $4.5 million.

badboy
02-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Can someone give an evaluation of Gay? I thought of him as an average CB.

badboy
02-21-2008, 11:28 AM
I have this from NE site but he was across from Samuel. In Houston he'd be the guy. WOuld he be able to do that?
http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=playerbio&bio=28564

TexanSam
02-21-2008, 11:42 AM

I can't give an evaluation, but an average CB would be an upgrade in our secondary.

Specnatz
02-21-2008, 11:46 AM
With this signing and the signing of Clark it could cost them the ability to sign Jake Scott or Ben Utecht.

The1ApplePie
02-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Gay will be Jason David 2.0: System CB that will suck in man

TK_Gamer
02-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Well apparently I picked some good players but as usual some other team thought they were good too :( There are still a few decent FA DB's out there but I have a feeling Smith and company is not going to go after any top tier guys or even 2nd tier for that matter. As far as Ward goes I just liked his play at the end of the season. I truly believe without him we would be talking about a different super bowl winner, because the Giants wouldn't have even made the playoffs. I honestly don't see much in the FA market that's worth going after. Overpaying for quality people is one thing, but overpaying for 2nd tier is sinful. Trufant would be next on my list for DB and Noone would be next on my list for RB. Fargas technically would be in the mix but he has never impressed me. I'd rather take Mendenhal in the draft than blow money on him. Anyone heard anything on Taylor? I think we have plenty of 2nd tier talent in RB allready on the team. But we need upgrades/training on the OL to get the most out of them. sheesh next on the DB list for FA's is Travis Fisher or Drayton Florence. The safety pool is pretty big, but I doubt we spend any money on a safety, there are too many available every year in the draft. I like Madieu Williams though.

apparently the Seahawks franchised Trufant, yikes they are dropping like flies this year.

Goldensilence
02-21-2008, 05:16 PM
With the rise in the salary cap combined with tagging players it's becoming a less and less reality, unless someone really is hellbent, bigger time players hitting the FA market.

Teams like our own are figuring out the earlier you guys guys on contract extensions the better off you are long term. The only way to build a team now will be through the draft and supplementing every once in while with a big name that makes it to FA and depth with smaller FA.

Utecht would be smart to take a decent contract from the Colts.....remember way back when Marcus Pollard was considered a good TE. What has he done since leaving that offense headed by Manning? Nothing.

Fargas got resigned.

There is no way after the Schaub hit this team even sniffs at Florence.

Far as Derrick Ward....I wouldn't mind giving him a look after we see what happens after his leg heals.

badboy
02-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Yeah, free agency seems to be a dry hole this season. We should still be ok with a very good draft.

threetoedpete
02-22-2008, 01:29 AM
Is Gross really worth top-5 OT money?? Not sure that is a great tag by the Panthers.

Gay will be in hot demand too, don't like our chances with him too.

Ditto with Justin Smith.

Derrick Ward is a possibility though, but is he an upgrade over what we have already??

That's not the point Kiwi...the point is they are getting it.

So you have the choice of drafting them or getting yourself into cap hell for bidding on them. The Steelers have left Starks dangeling....he could be had for an exorbadant offer. The upgrade would be marginal at best and cap foolish at worst. Dallas has left Adams twisting in the wind also...but know going in they wouldn't have done that with out thinking about it long and hard for a while. So the big question is why did they do that ? Could it be that Dallas feels at the bottom of the first if they let him walk because of an outrageous bid, they could find a tallent of equal or better value ? we'll find out in the next few weeks.

PHAROAH
02-22-2008, 09:43 AM
I think with all that has been done with the franchise tags I think our biggest target should be Drayton Florence at CB or DE Justin Smith.

The1ApplePie
02-22-2008, 09:54 AM
DeShuan Foster?

HOU-TEX
02-22-2008, 09:57 AM
DeShuan Foster?

I'll pass!

Goldensilence
02-22-2008, 10:48 AM
I think with all that has been done with the franchise tags I think our biggest target should be Drayton Florence at CB or DE Justin Smith.

We will not go after Drayton Florence

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3090328

People need to get that idea out of their head.

threetoedpete
02-23-2008, 03:34 PM
Patriots | Samuel looking for 10-year contract
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 12:15:11 -0800

Karen Guregian, of the Boston Herald, reports New England Patriots CB Asante Samuel, who will become an unrestricted free agent this offseason, is reportedly looking for a 10-year contract worth $100 million. He is also looking for $30 million guaranteed up front.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

So for who ever was banging Gay in the other thread, Gay is a veteran who will not break the bank. And if they draft a RB in the first....you get to choose between The Godfrey, Trae Williams, and Zach Bowman's of the football world on the second day.

Honoring Earl 34
02-23-2008, 03:36 PM

Like Michael Turner ... I think Assante is in for a rude awakening .

AnthonyE
02-23-2008, 05:28 PM

So for who ever was banging Gay in the other thread, Gay is a veteran who will not break the bank. And if they draft a RB in the first....you get to choose between The Godfrey, Trae Williams, and Zach Bowman's of the football world on the second day.

I wonder how high Samuel's taxes will be....