PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Combine Mock to #18

beerlover
02-18-2008, 01:40 AM
1. Miami - Chris Long DE, Virginia 6-4 275 You know Miami will try like hell to trade out of the top pick for starters their expensive & secondly like to address mutliple needs, yet is there a clear cut consensus #1 pick? I don't think so, you could make the arguement for three or four. therefore I'm going plain & simple with the highest rated player, don't know if they stay in a 3-4 defense or not but Long could play OLB or traditional 4-3 RDE.

2. St. Louis - Glenn Dorsey DT LSU 6-2 316 Need to get stronger up front & Dorsey will improve the interior D.

3. Atlanta - Darren McFadden, RB Arkansas 6-2 210 I really don't think he slides past unique opportunites & converting the Falcon offense to a spread attack with Vick returning @ QB & McFadden has his out would be interesting to watch. Not to mention RB is a high priority with Warrick Dunn facing retirement.

4, Oakland - Sedric Ellis, DT 6-1 308 USC Stays home & anchors the Raiders DL. excellent pocket push & motor will also help stop the run.

5. Kansas City - Jake Long, OT 6-7 315 Michigan Should address tackle with 1st pick, their choice but Jake seems ready to start as a rookie without a huge risk.

6. NY JETS - Ryan Clady, OT 6-6 316 Boise State I can see Jet fan now screaming their approval or not, anyway this is probably my biggest departure from the norm here because I just feel they have the chance to assemble/complete a really great offensive line unit. doesn't matter who is the QB if he can't execute, am I right? along with LT D'Brickashaw, C Nick Manglod, Clady would be an excellent fit on the right side.

7. New England - Vernon Gholston OLB 6-4 258 Ohio State Pats depend on a pass rush from the outside liebacker position, in the Superbowl it turned out to be a weakness. they want to stay agressive & will resign Aasante Sammuel so the play here is to upgrade their aging LB's.

8. Baltimore - Matt Ryan QB 6-5 224 BC slides here because of need more than anything, a very good prospect, size, technique & leadership but will need to grow into the position with the Ravens, if someone takes him sooner that is weighted too much on need, I think he struggles with athletic ability.

9. Cincinnati - Phillip Merling DE 6-5 272 Clemson ascending player who fills a position of need, has the size to play in a three point stance or standing up. this is a player who should really stand out @ his position in the combine.

10. New Orleans - Mike Jenkins CB 6-0 200 South Florida Good size, skill set & fills #1 need. will need to show up & produce @ the combine otherwise I would expect McKelvin to overtake him as the top cover corner.

11. Buffalo - Kentwan Balmer DT 6-5 308 North Carolina once again another ascending prospect who should really wow scouts/media @ the combine, very impressed watching him workout @ the Senior Bowl, has ideal hard to find natural NFL DT size who can easily add more weight to his frame. with the end slots covered this would really help solidify the Bills DL.

12. Denver - Chris Williams OT 6-6 320 Vanderbuilt ZBS quick, athletic tackle does not need long arms for the system fills void left by Matt Lepsis.

13. Carolina - Brian Brohm QB 6-3 227 Louisville Delhommes return is questionable, not going to mention the back-up, needless to say this is another need pick & Brohm has an NFL arm that has been groomed for the next level.

14. Chicago - Rashard Mendenhall RB 5-11 220 Illionois Benson is out, they already traded Thomas Jones so they need to address RB & I feel they get the best pure package here at a position of need.

15. Detroit - Jeff Otah OT 6-6 340 Pittsburgh Need is to solidfy the OL Otah can start right away @ RT or either guard position which should really help on a number of fronts.

16. Arizona - Kenny Phillips FS 6-2 208 Miami Should help strengthen secondary, starter from day one will help to be mentored to some degree by Hurricane alum Rolle.

17. Minnesota - Derrick Harvey DE 6-5 252 Florida Really sorry about Udeze (leukemia) James has not been outstanding for them either. when it comes to sack totals @ the end of the day Harvey has the style & speed to be at the top of his class.

18. Houston - Leodis McKelvin CB 5-11 190 Troy Excellent back peddle, abilty to read plays with make-up speed if beaten. better tackler than advertised, aggressive break on ball, very fluid no wasted motion, very agressive in run support.

:bubble:

beerlover
02-18-2008, 12:23 PM
19. Philadelphia - Calais Campbell DE 6-7 280 Miami Address biggest need, thought it would be Merling but Cincy surprised everyone taking him early. Calasis could be a steal here & could play either end position.

20. Tampa Bay - DeSean Jackson 6-0 180 WR Cal Brings outside threat to stretch the field need to start grooming replacement for Galloway to go along with Clayton.

21. Washington - Keith Rivers 6-2 240 OLB USC BPA. projected him much earlier possibly to New England but after that teams seem focused on addressing needs so he falls to the Skins providing outside pass rush & adding athletic ability. would be a mistake to draft someone to replace Sean Taylor with 1st pick (big shoes to fill) dynamic Rivers gives them another playmaker.

22. Dallas - Malcolm Kelly 6-4 220 WR Oklahoma Big, athletic, playmaker to develop mext to Owens. too early to go RB with resigning Barber, alot of scouts think that Kelly is the top WR in this draft class.

23. Pittsburgh - Anthony Collins 6-6 310 OT Kansas I'm probably the first to put him in the 1st rd. but feel he is the next best tackle available. long term pick, typical Steelers tough player with attitude.

24. Tennessee - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie 6-2 180 CB/FS Tennessee State With Jones returning DRC gives them a solid secondary both young & talented. I'm not sold on any WR at this point,there are several good free agents available like Bernard Berrian & the titans have the cap space to get things done there instead.

25. Seattle - Jonathan Stewart 5-10 235 RB Oregon Shaun Alexander is not getting any younger & aquiring a franchise RB late in the 1st rd. makes alot of sense while schooling JS to take over full time rushing duties.

26. Jacksonville - Dan Connor 6-3 233 MLB Penn State This is a Rio pick, like adding a coach (himself) on the field who will take on his personality. this represents great value here as well & should make the defense more difficult to move the football on than ever.

27. San Diego - Pat Sims 6-4 312 NT Auburn. would look great playing NT in a 3-4. not sure how healthy or how many more years Williams has but this brings in another long term foundation player to keep strong up front.

28. Dallas - Felix Jones 6-0 200 RB Arkansas Jones replacement, brings the speed to compliment Barbers power. Dallas adds two offensive playmakers to build for the future while improving Romos weapons to win a Super Bowl now.

29. San Franscisco - Sam Baker 6-5 308 OT USC thats right another tackle, hey they gave up a franchise high sack total (of course we know alot of that could be on the QB) but they are losing Larry Allen (retirement) Justin Smilely (free agent) & Jonas Jennings (potential cap casualty). Baker fills a definite need.

30. Green Bay - Aqib Talib 6-2 202 CB Kansas picking Talib over Cason because of his experience in cold weather, both very good cb prospects here. Talib also has the size & physical advantage to play in the cover 2.

31. New England - Forfeited spy-gate

32. NY GIANTS - Gosder Cherilus 6-7 315 OT BC the pressure is going to be on Manning as Super Bowl champions so he is going to need insurance more than anything & to do that both pass protection while mainting the ground attack will insure this happens.

Lucky
02-18-2008, 01:43 PM
24. Tennessee - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie 6-2 180 CB/FS Tennessee State With Jones returning DRC gives them a solid secondary both young & talented. I'm not sold on any WR at this point,there are several good free agents available like Bernard Berrian & the titans have the cap space to get things done there instead.
Do you really think PacMan will return to the Titans? Even if Goodell reinstates Jones (a big if), Tennessee would likely jettison him to a team that doesn't place a high priority on character. Fisher saw his defense succeed without Jones last season, he doesn't need the headaches.

Agree completely about the Titans looking at FA wideouts. Another to watch for is Javon Walker, if he's released by the Broncos.

PapaL
02-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Do you really think PacMan will return to the Titans? Even if Goodell reinstates Jones (a big if), Tennessee would likely jettison him to a team that doesn't place a high priority on character.

Cincinnati or is it SINcinnati?

TexansSeminole
02-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Your top 5 is exactly how I think things will go. I agree with all of the top 10 except for the Jets obviously and Cincinnati. I just don't think the Jets will go for another OL and I don't think the Bengals reach for Merling over a linebacker like Connor or Rivers.

PHAROAH
02-18-2008, 02:25 PM
1. Miami - Chris Long DE, Virginia 6-4 275 You know Miami will try like hell to trade out of the top pick for starters their expensive & secondly like to address mutliple needs, yet is there a clear cut consensus #1 pick? I don't think so, you could make the arguement for three or four. therefore I'm going plain & simple with the highest rated player, don't know if they stay in a 3-4 defense or not but Long could play OLB or traditional 4-3 RDE.

2. St. Louis - Glenn Dorsey DT LSU 6-2 316 Need to get stronger up front & Dorsey will improve the interior D.

3. Atlanta - Darren McFadden, RB Arkansas 6-2 210 I really don't think he slides past unique opportunites & converting the Falcon offense to a spread attack with Vick returning @ QB & McFadden has his out would be interesting to watch. Not to mention RB is a high priority with Warrick Dunn facing retirement.

4, Oakland - Sedric Ellis, DT 6-1 308 USC Stays home & anchors the Raiders DL. excellent pocket push & motor will also help stop the run.

5. Kansas City - Jake Long, OT 6-7 315 Michigan Should address tackle with 1st pick, their choice but Jake seems ready to start as a rookie without a huge risk.

6. NY JETS - Ryan Clady, OT 6-6 316 Boise State I can see Jet fan now screaming their approval or not, anyway this is probably my biggest departure from the norm here because I just feel they have the chance to assemble/complete a really great offensive line unit. doesn't matter who is the QB if he can't execute, am I right? along with LT D'Brickashaw, C Nick Manglod, Clady would be an excellent fit on the right side.

7. New England - Vernon Gholston OLB 6-4 258 Ohio State Pats depend on a pass rush from the outside liebacker position, in the Superbowl it turned out to be a weakness. they want to stay agressive & will resign Aasante Sammuel so the play here is to upgrade their aging LB's.

8. Baltimore - Matt Ryan QB 6-5 224 BC slides here because of need more than anything, a very good prospect, size, technique & leadership but will need to grow into the position with the Ravens, if someone takes him sooner that is weighted too much on need, I think he struggles with athletic ability.

9. Cincinnati - Phillip Merling DE 6-5 272 Clemson ascending player who fills a position of need, has the size to play in a three point stance or standing up. this is a player who should really stand out @ his position in the combine.

10. New Orleans - Mike Jenkins CB 6-0 200 South Florida Good size, skill set & fills #1 need. will need to show up & produce @ the combine otherwise I would expect McKelvin to overtake him as the top cover corner.

11. Buffalo - Kentwan Balmer DT 6-5 308 North Carolina once again another ascending prospect who should really wow scouts/media @ the combine, very impressed watching him workout @ the Senior Bowl, has ideal hard to find natural NFL DT size who can easily add more weight to his frame. with the end slots covered this would really help solidify the Bills DL.

12. Denver - Chris Williams OT 6-6 320 Vanderbuilt ZBS quick, athletic tackle does not need long arms for the system fills void left by Matt Lepsis.

13. Carolina - Brian Brohm QB 6-3 227 Louisville Delhommes return is questionable, not going to mention the back-up, needless to say this is another need pick & Brohm has an NFL arm that has been groomed for the next level.

14. Chicago - Rashard Mendenhall RB 5-11 220 Illionois Benson is out, they already traded Thomas Jones so they need to address RB & I feel they get the best pure package here at a position of need.

15. Detroit - Jeff Otah OT 6-6 340 Pittsburgh Need is to solidfy the OL Otah can start right away @ RT or either guard position which should really help on a number of fronts.

16. Arizona - Kenny Phillips FS 6-2 208 Miami Should help strengthen secondary, starter from day one will help to be mentored to some degree by Hurricane alum Rolle.

17. Minnesota - Derrick Harvey DE 6-5 252 Florida Really sorry about Udeze (leukemia) James has not been outstanding for them either. when it comes to sack totals @ the end of the day Harvey has the style & speed to be at the top of his class.

18. Houston - Leodis McKelvin CB 5-11 190 Troy Excellent back peddle, abilty to read plays with make-up speed if beaten. better tackler than advertised, aggressive break on ball, very fluid no wasted motion, very agressive in run support.

:bubble: I would be in heaven if we get Leodis McKelvin. :fans:

beerlover
02-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Do you really think PacMan will return to the Titans?

obviously I do. too much talent just to throw away at least right now with his stock @ all time lows. he should come to the realization the error in his ways. I realize Texans fans would'nt want this to happen cause it creates a more formidable enemy, but from Fishers veiwpoint this is something that needs/will get done. Corners are just to valueable.

regardless, if they do lose Pac-Man or Goodell does not reinstate him it would make filling this need even a higher prioity don't you think? I may be higher than most of the national mock draft sites in my personel evaluation of several players listed in this Mock Draft, Cromartie included, but he looks like something special to me, his wingspan alone is like dropping a huge fish net over coverages most QB's will have to learn to adjust too.

beerlover
02-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Your top 5 is exactly how I think things will go. I agree with all of the top 10 except for the Jets obviously and Cincinnati. I just don't think the Jets will go for another OL and I don't think the Bengals reach for Merling over a linebacker like Connor or Rivers.

I agree with you. its a reach, one made because I want to be different another because I feel these players are ascending & make great fits for aforementioned teams. Cincinnati needs to improve its defense & Merling has made significant strides every season starting in 05 as Gaines Adams back-up then in 06 LDE oppossite Gaines which helped make him (Gains) such a high draft pick (because Phillip was holding down run support). this year his numbers increased dramatically, think he had something like 20 Qb hurries & 7 sacks along with 70-80 tackles. he has the size, speed & athletic ability to hold down DE for the Bengals as a rookie, has been compared to Justin Tuck so if the Bengals want to strengthen the defense its going to start up front.

I've been consistent with this as the Jets selection for months now, I see Clady as the missing link to becoming a dominant OL. this will help the QB & the RB's who have suffered while the rebuilding process has been going on.

thanks for your very astute feedback :beer:

Lucky
02-18-2008, 02:41 PM
I realize Texans fans would'nt want this to happen cause it creates a more formidable enemy, but from Fishers veiwpoint this is something that needs/will get done. Corners are just to valueable.
Fisher's viewpoint? I haven't seen anything like that. The only thing I've heard from Fisher regarding Jones (http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200880118017) is "We are still currently having internal discussions regarding his status." That doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement for PacMan's return, considering that Fisher's opinion is the one that counts.

Mr teX
02-18-2008, 02:45 PM

Absolutely unfair, that kid is gonna be vicious in the league

More important than a QB at this point? I can't see Lovie & the Chi. fans putting up with Good Rex bad Rex another year.

:bubble:

Where's Joe Flaco? Espn seems to think he's going to make some team pull a "denver" this year. & I think brohm slides down 1 spot to Chi. Carolina will go defense i think while waiting to see what's going on with Delhomme, but will snatch someone up later in the draft & thru FA at the QB spot just in case.

Goldensilence
02-18-2008, 03:06 PM
More than 1 Qb will go in the top 18 b/c too many teams above us have questions at the Qb spot. Someone will pull a "denver" & slide up to get someone who shot up the draft board. ESPN's already hyping up Joe Flaco, in other words....................... WHO?

Don't think Rex will be in Chicago this year anyway. Don't be surprised if they take a stab at Todd Collins in the offseason and look for someone to groom.

What could make this year VERY interesting is what Cleveland does between Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn. One year wonder or QB star in making?

bah007
02-18-2008, 03:08 PM
What could make this year VERY interesting is what Cleveland does between Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn. One year wonder or QB star in making?

Cleveland will almost certainly give Anderson at least 6-8 games next year to prove that he isnt a fluke.

tulexan
02-18-2008, 04:16 PM

Is this a joke? No way Vick comes back to the Falcons.

badboy
02-18-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm starting to think the Texans may look at how well Bennett turned out in round four and decide to go with someone like Trae Williams in 4th. If we don't get a starter in FA, we could be going with a rookie and a sophomore at corner.

beerlover
02-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Where's Joe Flaco? Espn seems to think he's going to make some team pull a "denver" this year. & I think brohm slides down 1 spot to Chi. Carolina will go defense i think while waiting to see what's going on with Delhomme, but will snatch someone up later in the draft & thru FA at the QB spot just in case.

I project the Atlanta Falcons to use one of their two 2nd rd picks on a QB this could be Flaco (who reminds me of Schaub with a stronger arm) or Chad Henne, Michigan as insurance in case Vic never laces up again in Atlanta.

Goldensilence
02-18-2008, 05:13 PM

Agree. It's going to be about two years i think before Vick is even considered for re-instatement. Best Vick can hope for is Rae Carruth Transferring prisons to catch for him and a coach willing to help him be a better pocket passer for the duration of his jail term.

Falcons would be stupid to pass on McFadden. They need a new face and someone that can bring excitement to the organization again. Get Shockley healthy again and maybe this offense doesn't look so bad going into next season.

SuperTexan
02-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Damn, Beerlover. You love you some you.

beerlover
02-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Don't think Rex will be in Chicago this year anyway. Don't be surprised if they take a stab at Todd Collins in the offseason and look for someone to groom.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4375

beerlover
02-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Cowboy fans don't worry about Jerry selling out the farm to move up for McFadden either- http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/478246.html

Goldensilence
02-18-2008, 05:33 PM
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4375

Interesting. I guess the whole organization is reluctant to let Rex go. Not only that but want him in the mix for starting the spot. DO think they should give Kyle Orton Another shot.

beerlover
02-18-2008, 05:55 PM
Interesting. I guess the whole organization is reluctant to let Rex go. Not only that but want him in the mix for starting the spot. DO think they should give Kyle Orton Another shot.

first off da bears love Mendenhall, as does all of Illinois, tough break for us, but in a strange twist would the Texans be interested in former UT RB Benson? don't know the answear to that one....

Chicago would like to copy the Giants formula for winning the Super Bowl. Manning played great, was a top pick but yet nothing more was expected of him other than to run the offense mistake free. Chicago has alot of the same ingredients but whatever the reason the QB play has been inconsistant, both Rex & Orton have looked like good playoff type QB's at times while other times resembling carr wrecks (sorry). Coaching does make a difference but the players have to buy in, sounds like they're willing to adjust their approach.

Goldensilence
02-18-2008, 06:13 PM
first off da bears love Mendenhall, as does all of Illinois, tough break for us, but in a strange twist would the Texans be interested in former UT RB Benson? don't know the answear to that one....

Chicago would like to copy the Giants formula for winning the Super Bowl. Manning played great, was a top pick but yet nothing more was expected of him other than to run the offense mistake free. Chicago has alot of the same ingredients but whatever the reason the QB play has been inconsistant, both Rex & Orton have looked like good playoff type QB's at times while other times resembling carr wrecks (sorry). Coaching does make a difference but the players have to buy in, sounds like they're willing to adjust their approach.

Me....Depends the asking price for Benson. Leaning towards most of the crowd would be no though. Has really under achieved in Chicago.

I think Orton is a guy who could and has managed games for them while the defense and running game carries them. I just don't think Grossman can do it. He was gunslinger in College and can't help himself in the pros. At this point IMO too late for him. But that's just me.

As for Eli. Agree on what was expected for him for the most part and has been up and down til this year. The big turn around for him was the shoulder injury early in the season. the fact he played through and stepped up gave his teammates confidence. That IMO was the crux of the season.

bah007
02-18-2008, 07:07 PM
bah007's Pre-Combine Mock:

1. Miami – Glenn Dorsey – DT, LSU
2. St. Louis – Chris Long – DE, Virginia
3. Oakland – Darren McFadden – HB, Arkansas
4. Atlanta – Matt Ryan – QB, Boston College
5. Kansas City – Jake Long – OT, Michigan
6. New York Jets – Sedrick Ellis – DT, USC
7. New England (SF) – Vernon Gholston – DE, Ohio St
8. Baltimore – Leodis McKelvin – CB, Troy
9. Cincinnati – Keith Rivers – OLB, USC
10. New Orleans – Kenny Phillips – FS, Miami
11. Buffalo – Mike Jenkins – CB, USF
12. Denver – Ryan Clady – OT, Boise St
13. Carolina – Brian Brohm – QB, Louisville
14. Chicago – Rashard Mendenhall – HB, Illinois
15. Detroit – Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie – CB, Tennessee St
16. Arizona – Phillip Merling – DE, Clemson
17. Minnesota – Calais Campbell – DE, Miami
18. Houston – Sam Baker – OT, USC
19. Philadelphia – Jeff Otah – OT, Pitt
20. Tampa Bay – Kentwan Butler – DT, North Carolina
21. Washington – Malcolm Kelly – WR, Oklahoma
22. Dallas (CLE) – Antoine Cason – CB, Arizona
23. Pittsburgh – Chris Williams – OT, Vanderbilt
24. Tennessee – Pat Sims – DT, Auburn
25. Seattle – Jonathan Stewart – HB, Oregon
26. Jacksonville – DeSean Jackson – WR, Cal
27. San Diego – Quentin Groves – DE, Auburn
28. Dallas – Chilo Rachal – OG, USC
29. San Francisco (IND) – Dan Connor – OLB, Penn State
30. Green Bay – Reggie Smith – FS, Oklahoma
31. New York Giants – Erin Henderson – OLB, Maryland

beerlover
02-18-2008, 11:31 PM
bah007's Pre-Combine Mock:

I would be utterly devastated if the Texans select Sam Baker w/18th pick :bomb:

Second Honeymoon
02-19-2008, 12:04 AM

Baker won't even be around at #18 so its a mute point. I am just hoping Phillips, Cason, or Cromartie are available when its our time to pick. Otherwise we do bpa and if Baker happens to still be around and is deemed the bpa at a position they feel needs help, I wouldn't have that big of a problem with it.

beerlover
02-19-2008, 12:13 AM
Baker won't even be around at #18 so its a mute point. I am just hoping Phillips, Cason, or Cromartie are available when its our time to pick. Otherwise we do bpa and if Baker happens to still be around and is deemed the bpa at a position they feel needs help, I wouldn't have that big of a problem with it.

so your telling me you expect Baker to be selected sometime before the Texans pick? but.....if he where available when the Texans pick they should select him? am I understanding this correctly?

Second Honeymoon
02-19-2008, 01:09 AM
so your telling me you expect Baker to be selected sometime before the Texans pick? but.....if he where available when the Texans pick they should select him? am I understanding this correctly?

yes. he will probably already be gone but if he happens to not be gone and if the Texans brass felt he was the bpa at a position they felt needed help, then they would take him and it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Personally, I would rather them not draft an OT with their only 1st day pick, but if they did, I would have to give them the benefit of the doubt, especially with Gibbs knowledge. If Gibbs didn't think he could make the guy a player, they won't draft him at #18 and they will justifiably use the pick to select the best DB or RB or trade down.

bah007
02-19-2008, 09:37 AM

I'm not too keen on it either.

I was just plugging guys in on this one & that is where he fell.

beerlover
02-19-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm not too keen on it either.

I was just plugging guys in on this one & that is where he fell.

:hmmm:

beleive it or not this pre-combine mock draft took me hours to complete, not to mention months of watching College Football, regular season NFL & playoffs. I wanted to capture everything up to this point in time before the next major draft date- the combine. Now we'll watch & see players confirm measureables & compete side by side on an even playing field.

its impossible to guess excatly what organizations are going to do but still we try to do mock draft's. its all just opinion reflecting your passion for football, an outlet to express your thoughts & feelings in a world gone crazy :soapbox:

The1ApplePie
02-19-2008, 10:14 AM
From a USC fan:

NO SAM BAKER!

YoungTexanFan
02-19-2008, 10:54 AM
Baker at this point is not BPA at 18. Baker is, as of right now, a boarderline 1st rounder. He could also slide inside to guard.

beerlover
02-19-2008, 01:05 PM
Sr) CB Leodis McKelvin: #2 rated CB / #18 in the Draft Scout Top 750

example of one reputable resource I use when formulating my mock drafts, among many I don't just insert names as they fall, its predicated on team need/make-up, character, measureables, reviewing stats/game tape etc...then who is bpa. about the only thing we miss out on (if you really pay attention) is the interview process & private personel workouts, this is where the real guess work comes into play. by the way-

(rSr) OT Sam Baker: #6 rated OT / #41 in the Draft Scout Top 750

threetoedpete
02-19-2008, 01:12 PM

Best Mock I've seen 1-18 so far beerlover. I posted seven round mock on one of these threads via t-haug.

threetoedpete
02-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Baker at this point is not BPA at 18. Baker is, as of right now, a boarderline 1st rounder. He could also slide inside to guard.

Ah the voice of reason.

Ya know that is one of the reasons a move down makes a lot of sense...you've got a shot at both Baker and Cromartie. If DCR is gone Smith will be on the board. If Smith not there...Godfrey..so on & so on. Point being...You've got a prety fair shot at Baker or Collins. No one is foreseeing the o-line guys going up the board. But there is only a limited supply of them...from my tree, one true Elite guard...and a bunch of guys who have a shot to start on the edges of the 0-line come September. What was the number fifteen teams need them. So the Question becomes if you're paying a boat load of money for the RB and the QB and you only have a certain amount of oportunities to get one...how long do you wait untill you are forced to take the sixty millon dollar gaurds to patch the hole(s) via FA ?

I believe that with the draft class loaded at Rb and Wr...teams will bang the o-line holes first rounds one and two and take the chance on the skill guys latter. Kinda like playing chicken. If you wait you end up with your Qb and RB getting killed. Or you spend the major cap dollars on the moss back on the o-line. Which means if he gets hurt you're back to square one with a cap leech who can't play and limited for future upside.

The average is 3.something. They go off the board as in Beerlover's example...be a feeding frenzee. The worst things you want to be under this scenario is the last to eat or the first one to reach.

badboy
02-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Ah the voice of reason.

Ya know that is one of the reasons a move down makes a lot of sense...you've got a shot at both Baker and Cromartie. If DCR is gone Smith will be on the board. If Smith not there...Godfrey..so on & so on. Point being...You've got a prety fair shot at Baker or Collins. No one is foreseeing the o-line guys going up the board. But there is only a limited supply of them...from my tree, one true Elite guard...and a bunch of guys who have a shot to start on the edges of the 0-line come September. What was the number fifteen teams need them. So the Question becomes if you're paying a boat load of money for the RB and the QB and you only have a certain amount of oportunities to get one...how long do you wait untill you are forced to take the sixty millon dollar gaurds to patch the hole(s) via FA ?

I believe that with the draft class loaded at Rb and Wr...teams will bang the o-line holes first rounds one and two and take the chance on the skill guys latter. Kinda like playing chicken. If you wait you end up with your Qb and RB getting killed. Or you spend the major cap dollars on the moss back on the o-line. Which means if he gets hurt you're back to square one with a cap leech who can't play and limited for future upside.

The average is 3.something. They go off the board as in Beerlover's example...be a feeding frenzee. The worst things you want to be under this scenario is the last to eat or the first one to reach.
And that is how GMs earn their keep.

threetoedpete
02-19-2008, 02:29 PM
Threetoedpete's Precombine Mock:
trade #1: Dallas sends 21 & 28 and Lb Bobby Carpenter Plus #2 in '09
Trade #2 New England sends #7, & # 68, plus 2nd '09 third to Kansas City

2. Dallas Via St. Louis – Darren McFadden – HB, Arkansas
3. Oakland – Chris Long – DE, Virginia
4. Atlanta – Sedrick Ellis – DT, USC
5. New England via(SF)Kansas City Vernon Gholston – DE, Ohio St–
6. New York Jets – Leodis McKelvin – CB, Troy
7. Kansas Ctiy Via New England – Jake Long – OT, Michigan
8. Baltimore –Matt Ryan – QB, Boston College
11. Buffalo – Malcolm Kelly – WR, Oklahoma
13. Carolina – Jeff Otah – OT, Pitt
15. Detroit – Mike Jenkins – CB, USF
16. Arizona – Jonathan Stewart – HB, Oregon
17. Minnesota – Phillip Merling – DE, Clemson
19. Philadelphia – *Aqib Talib DB, 6-1, 205 Kansas
21. Washington – *Calais Campbell DE 6-7, 282 Miami
22. St. Louis via Dallas through (CLE) – Antoine Cason – CB, Arizona
23. Pittsburgh – *James Hardy WR 6-6, 220 Indiana
24. Tennessee – Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie – CB, Tennessee St
25. Seattle – Chris Williams – OT, Vanderbilt
27. San Diego – Derrick Harvey DE 6-4, 245 Florida
28. St. Louis via Dallas – *Branden Albert OG 6-6, 335 Virginia
29. San Francisco (IND) – Gosder Cherilus OT 6-6, 320 Boston College
31. New York Giants –Dan Connor – OLB, Penn State

painekiller
02-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Threetoedpete's Precombine Mock:
trade #1: Dallas sends 21 & 28 and Lb Bobby Carpenter Plus #2 in '09
Trade #2 New England sends #7, & # 68, plus 2nd '09 third to Kansas City

2. Dallas Via St. Louis – Darren McFadden – HB, Arkansas
3. Oakland – Chris Long – DE, Virginia
4. Atlanta – Sedrick Ellis – DT, USC
5. New England via(SF)Kansas City Vernon Gholston – DE, Ohio St–
6. New York Jets – Leodis McKelvin – CB, Troy
7. Kansas Ctiy Via New England – Jake Long – OT, Michigan
8. Baltimore –Matt Ryan – QB, Boston College
11. Buffalo – Malcolm Kelly – WR, Oklahoma
13. Carolina – Jeff Otah – OT, Pitt
15. Detroit – Mike Jenkins – CB, USF
16. Arizona – Jonathan Stewart – HB, Oregon
17. Minnesota – Phillip Merling – DE, Clemson
19. Philadelphia – *Aqib Talib DB, 6-1, 205 Kansas
21. Washington – *Calais Campbell DE 6-7, 282 Miami
22. St. Louis via Dallas through (CLE) – Antoine Cason – CB, Arizona
23. Pittsburgh – *James Hardy WR 6-6, 220 Indiana
24. Tennessee – Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie – CB, Tennessee St
25. Seattle – Chris Williams – OT, Vanderbilt
27. San Diego – Derrick Harvey DE 6-4, 245 Florida
28. St. Louis via Dallas – *Branden Albert OG 6-6, 335 Virginia
29. San Francisco (IND) – Dan Connor – OLB, Penn State
31. New York Giants –Dan Connor – OLB, Penn State

I think McFadden is dropping and Dallas is aware of that, I don't see them trading all the way to #2. I could see the Raiders taking Long, but Ellis makes more sense. I don't see the 2nd trade either. Why would NE move up for a player that should be there at their pick? I do not see the Jets needing Gholston, so I do not see the Pats jumping them.

Kenny Phillips is over rated, he is not worth the #10 pick, he is a SS and he does not cover well.

Carolina just signed Wharton to an extension and Franchised Gross, iirc, don't think OT is their 1st round pick.

And if the Texans take Baker at #18, and Williams is on the board, I will be very mad. Baker does not maintain his blocks and he appears to be disinterested in blocking when the play is going away from him. He did not impress me at the senior bowl, another overrated Trojan, IMO.

And you have Connor going to two teams, which did you mean and who is the other pick?

I applaud the work, these mocks do take a lot of time, just question the rankings and some of the teams picks.

painekiller
02-19-2008, 03:00 PM
And you have Connor going to two teams, which did you mean and who is the other pick?

You fixed it and I like the fix alot.

threetoedpete
02-19-2008, 03:06 PM
You fixed it and I like the fix alot.

He's an art pick no doubt...the film says the guy is a football player. I'd be shocked if he falls out of the first.

I also believe if McFaddin is there Atlanta takes the guy. Believe what you want. I believe there is a huge drop off between Felix the cat and McFaddin. Some don't.

Well, I just threw Baker up there. I hope both RBs fall and they get an offer for the eighteen.

Unless Howie gets up on the podium and pulls a Manning on april 27...Big Al will take the guy...no matter what their needs are.

The Wolf in New England will move up just as fast as he will move down. Gholston represents a perfect storm for them. They cut 90% of their drafted guys last year. Gholston fits. And the Jets are hovering. I think after he watches him next week, he'll spend the dough to move up and go get him.

painekiller
02-19-2008, 03:10 PM
He's an art pick no doubt...the film says the guy is a football player. I'd be shocked if he falls out of the first.

He is a beast and the RT position would be filled for a long time. I am still wondering if he can be converted to LT. His arms are so long and with better techinque he might be a fixture on a teams left side. But I don't think I am going to find out, he will camp on the right side for someone.

For those that missed who we are talking about

kastofsna
02-19-2008, 03:22 PM
all signs point to Miami going 4-3. either way i think they take Chris Long.

threetoedpete
02-19-2008, 03:42 PM
He is a beast and the RT position would be filled for a long time. I am still wondering if he can be converted to LT. His arms are so long and with better techinque he might be a fixture on a teams left side. But I don't think I am going to find out, he will camp on the right side for someone.

For those that missed who we are talking about

What frustrates me is they have David Bass on the roster... perfect ZBS guy btw....and he can't break the line up. The other question is would the guy be there
if they wait and take the skill guy first ? And they way Smith got pummeled last year can they afford to wait ?

I see people forcing the QBs into the first....ah nope. Get the QB, defend the QB...protect the QB, that's it.

threetoedpete
02-19-2008, 03:44 PM
all signs point to Miami going 4-3. either way i think they take Chris Long.

A defense the Tuna hasn't run since what '93 ? Tell me another one.

I saw the disney sports channel dissing Dorsey last night. The guy played hurt and can swing either way. History aside, the film says the better value is the DT. Dorsey, a guy who by every standard should of sat and protected his econmoic intrests. Instead, he gave it up for the team....I don't care what kind of motor Long has, he can't beat that.

painekiller
02-19-2008, 04:42 PM
A defense the Tuna hasn't run since what '93 ? Tell me another one.

I saw the disney sports channel dissing Dorsey last night. The guy played hurt and can swing either way. History aside, the film says the better value is the DT. Dorsey, a guy who by every standard should of sat and protected his econmoic intrests. Instead, he gave it up for the team....I don't care what kind of motor Long has, he can't beat that.

I thought he ran a 4-3 his 1st year in Dallas? Maybe it was the LBs, he used the smaller guys the Cowboys had from the prior season, and Parcells is a supersized LB proponent.

painekiller
02-19-2008, 04:57 PM
What frustrates me is they have David Bass on the roster... perfect ZBS guy btw....and he can't break the line up. The other question is would the guy be there
if they wait and take the skill guy first ? And they way Smith got pummeled last year can they afford to wait ?

I see people forcing the QBs into the first....ah nope. Get the QB, defend the QB...protect the QB, that's it.

I know alot of people in SF want James Hardy, and they need a stud WR. Now looking at the team they have 2 OTs with under 3 years experince, plus Kwame Harris is only a 5 yr vet. Kwama Harris, Adam Synder, Joe Stalley, Harris has the least upside of these guys and he is entering his prime. The 49ers may decide to they have enough talent given that Staley was a rookie and will only improve this season.

Baas is a guy I was in love with 3 years ago, and he has done very little as a pro. I figured he would be a 1st class starter by now. He is proving an old axiom, Michigan OL have topped out and do not improve much in the NFL.

Vinny
02-19-2008, 04:59 PM

Bass has been a big disappointment over in 9er ville. Perhaps he needs another year, but he has struggled badly so far to date.

beerlover
02-20-2008, 02:39 PM
as much effort & time spent researching this pre-combine mock draft with no positive rep, I felt my analysis/resoning was too out there in regards to prospects going higher/lower than y'all anticipate. that 9. Cincinnati Bengals: Phillip Merling DE (Clemson) was very possibly a reach, or that nobody expects 18. Houston Texans: Leodis McKelvin CB (Troy) to be there when the Texans pick. still not comfortable with Rivers slide, buffalo being a viable option but if they don't select him I still see him falling until bpa scenero is unavoidable.

then I found draft 32 mock draft that just come out todaythis- http://www.draft32.com/viewpage.php?page_id=140 made me feel :ok:

buddyboy
02-20-2008, 02:46 PM
then I found draft 32 mock draft that just come out todaythis- http://www.draft32.com/viewpage.php?page_id=140 made me feel :ok:

Wow, that mock has Chris Williams at 26...I've heard so many great things about him...I think I'd blow up if he dropped and the Texans passed on him.

Goldensilence
02-20-2008, 02:49 PM
as much effort & time spent researching this pre-combine mock draft with no positive rep, I felt my analysis/resoning was too out there in regards to prospects going higher/lower than y'all anticipate. that 9. Cincinnati Bengals: Phillip Merling DE (Clemson) was very possibly a reach, or that nobody expects 18. Houston Texans: Leodis McKelvin CB (Troy) to be there when the Texans pick. still not comfortable with Rivers slide, buffalo being a viable option but if they don't select him I still see him falling until bpa scenero is unavoidable.

Think If Chris Williams is there a 18 we bite? I would think Carolina as well opts for Brohm. Ryan is NFL ready but Brohm would be a better long term QB I think.

beerlover
02-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Think If Chris Williams is there a 18 we bite? I would think Carolina as well opts for Brohm. Ryan is NFL ready but Brohm would be a better long term QB I think.

I'm really torn between Chris Williams vs. Leodis McKelvin :goodbad:

maybe the combine will provide some clarity :)

threetoedpete
02-20-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm really torn between Chris Williams vs. Leodis McKelvin :goodbad:

maybe the combine will provide some clarity :)
Draft 32:
Where is Mendenhall ? I'll be very surprised if the franchise ZBS left tackle gets by the team with the franchise young QB. And with Lepis just hanging up the cleats...perfect storm... need meets value.

@ 245 Derick Harvey either can or can not stand up....lot of money for a situtional pass rusher. At 245 he will never hold the point of attack @ DE....I don't care how tallented he is.

Dream scenario for the Texans. They'd have thier choice of selecting a tallent who has fallen through the cracks or moving down and collecting picks. Lots of players between thirty-two and nintey-nine that could upgrade this football team.

I really don't think McKelvin gets past the jets. They have a history of lining up little Cbs with cover skills. Also, anyone teaches the guy to acually catch the ball, he'll be Darrel Green on the cheap.

Just for the record... If I got no offers for the eighteen, I take DRC in the slot. Cover my Cb hole with an eye to moving him to saftey in a couple of seasons. He ought to be up to 210- 215 by then.

beerlover
02-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Draft 32:
Where is Mendenhall ?

16. Arizona Cardinals: Rashard Mendenhall HB (Illinois)
The Cardinals are in a similar situation to Detroit, in that they have a bunch of needs and options at a mid-round pick. CB, DE, and OT are all options here as well, but you have to wonder if they can pass on what some consider the best running back in this year's class.

badboy
02-20-2008, 05:13 PM

then I found draft 32 mock draft that just come out todaythis- http://www.draft32.com/viewpage.php?page_id=140 made me feel :ok:I will be real surprised if only one CB is taken before 19 but if we don't sign a starter CB in FA I hope McKelvin is there. As much as I'd hate to pass on Stewart, we have to have a CB. Maybe Stewart and another Bennett in 4th?

The1ApplePie
02-20-2008, 05:36 PM
The draft is loaded this year.

I would be happy if we could trade down, and snag:
Conner and Groves/Lawerence Jackson in the 2nd

Solidify the front 7.

threetoedpete
02-20-2008, 05:43 PM
I will be real surprised if only one CB is taken before 19 but if we don't sign a starter CB in FA I hope McKelvin is there. As much as I'd hate to pass on Stewart, we have to have a CB. Maybe Stewart and another Bennett in 4th?

The gamble with that is that a tallent like godfrey or the red cross like Bowman is going to work out for you the same way Bennit did for us last year. And that my friend is a big "IF". The other little gremblin in the mix is the shophmore jinx. They all go through it to varing degrees.

If they take Stewart...I wouldn't be too upset either. They had him on the disney sports channel last night and he gave a prety good interview. Now you don't know if he's been coached up by a media guy, but he appears on the surface to be a Texan's sort of fella.

Like I've posted befor...what are you going to do with Ahmen ? And are we setting the guy up preciecely as we set up Dominic Davis-Williams ? Asking Stewart to preform like an all pro , behind an o-line with much less than all pro tallent on it. One of these years they have got to either get lucky in the latter rounds on a guy or bang the hole. Going on seven years...now. That's a life time in doggie years.

bah007
02-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Just for the record... If I got no offers for the eighteen, I take DRC in the slot. Cover my Cb hole with an eye to moving him to saftey in a couple of seasons. He ought to be up to 210- 215 by then.

Look I get what your saying.

But thats 30 pounds right there. The kid weighs about 185 last I saw. Thats a lot weight to put on & still keep the same speed and athleticism.

badboy
02-21-2008, 01:52 PM
The gamble with that is that a tallent like godfrey or the red cross like Bowman is going to work out for you the same way Bennit did for us last year. And that my friend is a big "IF". The other little gremblin in the mix is the shophmore jinx. They all go through it to varing degrees.

If they take Stewart...I wouldn't be too upset either. They had him on the disney sports channel last night and he gave a prety good interview. Now you don't know if he's been coached up by a media guy, but he appears on the surface to be a Texan's sort of fella.

Like I've posted befor...what are you going to do with Ahmen ? And are we setting the guy up preciecely as we set up Dominic Davis-Williams ? Asking Stewart to preform like an all pro , behind an o-line with much less than all pro tallent on it. One of these years they have got to either get lucky in the latter rounds on a guy or bang the hole. Going on seven years...now. That's life a time in doggie years.Even more so of a gamble on a trade down is the guy(s) you want get snapped up by another team. Say Stewart is there at #18 and we trade with Atlanta as some have mentioned as a possible scenario. Ok, with 3rd pick 2nd round I want Talib at CB, but wait, he was selected by Dallas. So I want Williams or Collins to resolve the LT. Whoops! Someone beat me to them. Well I can go Forte in 3rd and Tony Hill in 4th to resolve two needs. Sorry, we just missed out. I am beginning to think if a franchise type back (Stewart) is there you lock and load with him. We don't have even an average back on this team. Dayne plays pretty well for 1/2 season. Green could be, but do we really want to take that chance? Especially if he is cut June 1st and we then get to add $3.8m. $4m is a serviceable back up player at another need position like OLB or DE. Would you rather have Green or Stewart and say a run stuffing DT?

beerlover
02-21-2008, 02:17 PM
CB, CB, CB rds 1, 3 & 4 J/K. RB/OT seems likely will be addressed later (Gibbs influnence) rather than sooner, not saying I disagree with you with Stewart, Mendenhall or Chris Williams. I really feel the Texans could easily go CB back to back in this draft (1st & 3rd rd. picks) then take ZBS RB/OT in 4th/5th rd. of course this will hinge on free agency & how effective Rick & Co. are in signing quality free agents who help upgrade this team. I beleive next friday free agency offically begins so then we'll have a better idea how they address needs via the draft :cool:

TexansSeminole
02-21-2008, 03:23 PM
CB, CB, CB rds 1, 3 & 4 J/K. RB/OT seems likely will be addressed later (Gibbs influnence) rather than sooner, not saying I disagree with you with Stewart, Mendenhall or Chris Williams. I really feel the Texans could easily go CB back to back in this draft (1st & 3rd rd. picks) then take ZBS RB/OT in 4th/5th rd. of course this will hinge on free agency & how effective Rick & Co. are in signing quality free agents who help upgrade this team. I beleive next friday free agency offically begins so then we'll have a better idea how they address needs via the draft :cool:

I dunno. Taking one 4th or 5th round corner may not be enough. That's why I think we should take a corner in the 1st round to make sure we get a quality guy that can come in here and play right away, because we will need it. Taking two corners back to back is just something we can't afford to do. By the time our pick in the 4th round comes up we will only have addressed one position. We can't afford to do that with the needs on this team along the offensive line, running back, and the entire defense.

badboy
02-21-2008, 04:08 PM
CB, CB, CB rds 1, 3 & 4 J/K. RB/OT seems likely will be addressed later (Gibbs influnence) rather than sooner, not saying I disagree with you with Stewart, Mendenhall or Chris Williams. I really feel the Texans could easily go CB back to back in this draft (1st & 3rd rd. picks) then take ZBS RB/OT in 4th/5th rd. of course this will hinge on free agency & how effective Rick & Co. are in signing quality free agents who help upgrade this team. I beleive next friday free agency offically begins so then we'll have a better idea how they address needs via the draft :cool:CB is definitely needed at least before FA. But I'm concerned an exceptional CB will not be there at 18. An exceptional RB or two may be there. Both are needs and it will come down to how Texans determine it. This is most interesting off season so far for me.

badboy
02-21-2008, 04:13 PM
I dunno. Taking one 4th or 5th round corner may not be enough. That's why I think we should take a corner in the 1st round to make sure we get a quality guy that can come in here and play right away, because we will need it. Taking two corners back to back is just something we can't afford to do. By the time our pick in the 4th round comes up we will only have addressed one position. We can't afford to do that with the needs on this team along the offensive line, running back, and the entire defense.What if Talib is there in 1st, we get Forte in 3rd and Tony Hills in 4th. In 5th we go Darnell Terrell a CB whose 2nd position in college was FS? 6'2" 200 4.43. We then have a CB, RB, LT and FS/CB. And of course we sign Lance Briggs in FA for OLB. Could you live with that?

texdawg
02-21-2008, 06:24 PM
I agree that picking a stud o-lineman or CB would be filling areas of need for the Texans. I am just amazed that Jonathan Stewart would not be the favorite choice. He just seems like a perfect fit for you. Kinda like passing on LT. I'll defer to you guys knowledge of the Texans needs. I'm just surprized to read that he is not an almost unanimous first round choice.

Ole Miss Texan
02-21-2008, 08:42 PM
I agree that picking a stud o-lineman or CB would be filling areas of need for the Texans. I am just amazed that Jonathan Stewart would not be the favorite choice. He just seems like a perfect fit for you. Kinda like passing on LT. I'll defer to you guys knowledge of the Texans needs. I'm just surprized to read that he is not an almost unanimous first round choice.

I hear what your saying. I do like both Mendenhall and Stewart for our team and the would really make a huge improvement. But IMO the OL and CB are bigger needs and would make a greater longterm impact for the team.

Our real good CB is probably lost for the whole season (or more) and Bennett was a 4th round draft pick last year but playing quite well. On top of that our secondary was and is absolutely horrible. Additionally, the only person I really see locked in longterm on our OL is Eric Winston at RT (possibly Pitts at LG too). I think building up our OL first would be a good idea before getting that franchise RB.

Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, Darius Walker, and Chris Taylor aren't exciting as a group but I think they are fine with where we are as a team: Building.

TexansSeminole
02-21-2008, 09:00 PM

Stewart is a first rounder no doubt. I think most people here would agree with that. Stewart is no LT. Stewart is more like Cadillac Williams.

A stud O-lineman and CB aren't the only scenarios. We could really use a first round OLB. Really add some speed to the front seven. We could also use someone like Kenny Phillips.

The1ApplePie
02-21-2008, 10:35 PM
If we can overlook character flaws, Geno Hayes formally of Florida State will be a steal in the later rounds. By all accounts, he was a better prosepct than Timmons

Lucky
02-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Stewart is more like Cadillac Williams.
I think Stewart would compare more to a Steven Jackson. Can run both inside & out, plus is a good receiver out of the backfield.

beerlover
02-22-2008, 12:31 AM
its interesting to see some players ascending even before the combine workouts begin. this is a time for caution & reserved judgement. Chris Williams is suddenly the latest, greatest OT, after Clady in this talented draft class. feel pretty good projecting him to Denver @ #12 :)

regarding Jonathan Stewart I still maintain the Maruice Jones-Drew comparison. Drew & Stew are both compact, physical runners, thick legs, thick torso, both strong with very little body fat. Drew has better quickness because of his size in comparison to Stewart but I'm guessing top end speed is very similar, physically both carry a pop but Stewart has both weight & strength advantage, thats saying something.

“During the testing and all the things that happen in terms of running and strength and character, he will surpass anybody’s expectations,” Bellotti said.

2007 combine
Adrian Peterson 4.40 / did not lift
Marshawn Lynch 4.46 / 20 reps

2006 combine
Jones-Drew 4.39 / 18 reps
Joseph Addai 4.40 / 18 reps

2005 combine
Ronnie Brown 4.43 / 18 reps
Carnell Williams 4.43 / 19 reps
Maurice Clarett 4.78 / 22 reps

2004 combine
Steven Jackson 4.45 / did not lift

2008 combine- GUESS
Darren McFadden 4.35 / will not lift
Richard Mendenhall 4.40 / 20 reps
Jonathan Stewart 4.39 / 30 reps

Ole Miss Texan
02-22-2008, 10:29 AM
2008 combine- GUESS
Darren McFadden 4.35 / will not lift
Richard Mendenhall 4.40 / 20 reps
Jonathan Stewart 4.39 / 30 reps

My guess is that McFadden will run a tad higher but still be sub 4.40 if he runs. Mendenhall should be close to 4.40 but I think he'll lift closer to 22-24? And Stewart my guess will run more closer to a 4.50.

TexansSeminole
02-22-2008, 10:49 AM
If we can overlook character flaws, Geno Hayes formally of Florida State will be a steal in the later rounds. By all accounts, he was a better prosepct than Timmons

Having watched every game that both players played in, in college, I would say that isn't true at all. Timmons was a much smarter player as a prospect. Geno has speed like Timmons did, but he plays out of position quite a bit, plus he is a bit undersized, Timmons was anything but undersized. Timmons also hit harder, and wraped up better in college. I would say Timmons is a better tackler by quite a margin.

The only reason Timmons didn't start at FSU for his first couple years is Ernie Sims. He was Ernie Sims's backup the year that Ernie came out and did a hell of a job at that. Geno is the typical linebacker that plays well in college because of his speed but has size and character (fight at a bar, I guess it's not that bad) issues.

I like Geno Hayes as a Seminole but I don't like Geno Hayes as a pro prospect.

You want a pro prospect from FSU: Letroy Guion. Redshirt Junior. 6'4 300 lbs. Big physical DT. Eats blockers. Will probably lift over 30 times.

TexansSeminole
02-22-2008, 10:51 AM
My guess is that McFadden will run a tad higher but still be sub 4.40 if he runs. Mendenhall should be close to 4.40 but I think he'll lift closer to 22-24? And Stewart my guess will run more closer to a 4.50.

I'm going to guess that McFadden runs a 4.42, Mendenhall runs a 4.49, and Stewart runs a 4.51.

badboy
02-22-2008, 11:37 AM
i think Stewart has dropped a couple lbs from 235 to 230. He did run a 4.38 and avg'd 4.48 while @ 235. I'd be happy with anything close to 4.5

beerlover
02-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Atlanta won the coin flip this morning @ the combine, followed by Oakland then KC, setting up forecasted pre-combine mock draft order-

3. Atlanta - Darren McFadden, RB Arkansas 6-2 210

4, Oakland - Sedric Ellis, DT 6-1 308 USC

5. Kansas City - Jake Long, OT 6-7 315 Michigan

beerlover
02-22-2008, 02:19 PM
the more you research the more interesting the whole draft process becomes, evidently Rodgers-Cromartie shares a condo with Mike Jenkins, CB South Florida, while training for the combine in Lake Buena Vista FL. at the Tom Shaw Performance School at Disney's Wide World of Sports complex. Jenkins says "He was more of a track guy in high school" makes me think we haven't heard the last from the other Cromartie :specnatz:

I have him going to the Titans @ #24 (740). would you trade the 18th (900) pick to Tennessee for the 24th pick + Titans 3rd. (85th-165)? (just suppose they wanted to move up to get one of the top WR prospects in the draft, Malcolm Kelly/DeSean Jackson who I have both taken before their pick)

bah007
02-22-2008, 02:20 PM
the more you research the more interesting the whole draft process becomes, evidently Rodgers-Cromartie shares a condo with Mike Jenkins, CB South Florida, while training for the combine in Lake Buena Vista FL. at the Tom Shaw Performance School at Disney's Wide World of Sports complex. Jenkins says "He was more of a track guy in high school" makes me think we haven't heard the last from the other Cromartie :specnatz:

I have him going to the Titans @ #24 (740). would you trade the 18th (900) pick to Tennessee for the 24th pick + Titans 3rd. (85th-165)? (just suppose they wanted to move up to get one of the top WR prospects in the draft, Malcolm Kelly/DeSean Jackson who I have both taken before their pick)

I think they would be completely fine with James Hardy falling to them.

badboy
02-22-2008, 02:42 PM

I have him going to the Titans @ #24 (740). would you trade the 18th (900) pick to Tennessee for the 24th pick + Titans 3rd. (85th-165)? (just suppose they wanted to move up to get one of the top WR prospects in the draft, Malcolm Kelly/DeSean Jackson who I have both taken before their pick)If Stewart is gone at #18, I'd make that trade. I'd take Cromarte at 24 and go for Forte and Tony Hill in third unless Anthony Collins happened to fall to round three. You fill three holes in two rounds and still have 4 & 5 to maybe land significant players. Fourth round has been pretty good for Texans. I would look hard at Darnell Terrell a CB/FS 4.39 and 6 footer 200 lbs. to solidify DB.

Ole Miss Texan
02-23-2008, 01:04 AM
I'd take Cromarte at 24 and go for Forte and Tony Hill in third unless Anthony Collins happened to fall to round three. You fill three holes in two rounds and still have 4 & 5 to maybe land significant players. Fourth round has been pretty good for Texans. I would look hard at Darnell Terrell a CB/FS 4.39 and 6 footer 200 lbs. to solidify DB.

Actually... well.... I think... yea... I wouldn't change a darn thing you just posted.

beerlover
02-23-2008, 01:21 AM
one thing that worrys me when trading down- will your guy still be there? maybe a team between you & that pick wants the same player or another team trades up into the mix for him, either way its risky. so my gut tells me in this scenero (assuming McKelvin is gone) its probably not worth passing on a talent like Cromartie to add a 3rd pick so you take him @ 18 :cool:

rickyb
02-23-2008, 09:31 AM
Even more so of a gamble on a trade down is the guy(s) you want get snapped up by another team. Say Stewart is there at #18 and we trade with Atlanta as some have mentioned as a possible scenario. Ok, with 3rd pick 2nd round I want Talib at CB, but wait, he was selected by Dallas. So I want Williams or Collins to resolve the LT. Whoops! Someone beat me to them. Well I can go Forte in 3rd and Tony Hill in 4th to resolve two needs. Sorry, we just missed out. I am beginning to think if a franchise type back (Stewart) is there you lock and load with him. We don't have even an average back on this team. Dayne plays pretty well for 1/2 season. Green could be, but do we really want to take that chance? Especially if he is cut June 1st and we then get to add $3.8m. $4m is a serviceable back up player at another need position like OLB or DE. Would you rather have Green or Stewart and say a run stuffing DT?

Ah, yes. The psychology of loss aversion. I know it well. The bright shiny toy might not be there if we drop back, but I believe that some attractive options would be available late in round 1 or in round 2. OT, CB, RB.

Although I would be inclined to buy a round 1 RB jersey (cough**Mendenhall**cough), I hope the team moves in another direction round 1.

Trade back. Heck, I might even purchase a "Tradeback" jersey. :)

All the best,
Rick

rickyb
02-23-2008, 09:40 AM
--cut--

2007 combine
Adrian Peterson 4.40 / did not lift
Marshawn Lynch 4.46 / 20 reps

I had a crazy thought. Given the uncertainty being talked about last year regarding All Day's collar, I wonder if he did not lift so that he could slide back a bit, to catch on with a team with some chance at winning in the near future.

At some point, the marginal value of a dollar decreases. $60 million, $20 million. You are still rolling in it. Plus, what price do you place on winning?

So, you refuse to lift, slide back, and sign an incentive-laden contract.

Now THAT gets my mental furnace burning some BTUs. Sure, it might be a reach, but then again...might not.

Just a random thought over my morning coffee while The Boy takes a morning nap.
Rick

beerlover
02-23-2008, 11:16 AM
I had a crazy thought. Given the uncertainty being talked about last year regarding All Day's collar, I wonder if he did not lift so that he could slide back a bit, to catch on with a team with some chance at winning in the near future.

At some point, the marginal value of a dollar decreases. $60 million, $20 million. You are still rolling in it. Plus, what price do you place on winning?

So, you refuse to lift, slide back, and sign an incentive-laden contract.

Now THAT gets my mental furnace burning some BTUs. Sure, it might be a reach, but then again...might not.

Just a random thought over my morning coffee while The Boy takes a morning nap.
Rick

if your ranked the #1 player @ your position agents will often recommend limited particapation, not wanting to risk already established stock value. All Day only had to remind them with impressive 40 that yes, he was something special.

TK_Gamer
02-23-2008, 12:39 PM
The big problem I see this year, is most experts agree that Long and Williams are the best LT prospects with Claddy and Otah being more RT or Guard, so the Texans only have one real shot at a LT and that is Williams. But at the CB and RB positions there are many to choose from. Mcafadden is the quickest the one most predict to become NFL caliber star RB. But the draft is deep with top quality average NFL speed (4.45 to 4.50) A similar problem exists at CB. Jenkins is the prototypical top guy for CB and then you have 4 or 5 guys that all have good skills but not ideal size or good size but raw skills. The point I'm trying to make is if we can't have Williams or Mcfadden/Mendenhal, we really might as well trade down and save some money and gain a pick.. To me there is still alot of talent from pick 20 to pick 80. A guy like Stewart to me is not in the same class as Mcfadden, but hes also not much better than someone we could easily grab in round 2 or 3. Same goes for the CB's Cromartie is not a start from day one guy and neither are most of the guys in his range. If we get lucky and mckelvin is there, throw the dice maybe he's the answer......and maybe not.

threetoedpete
02-23-2008, 03:51 PM
The big problem I see this year, is most experts agree that Long and Williams are the best LT prospects with Claddy and Otah being more RT or Guard, so the Texans only have one real shot at a LT and that is Williams. But at the CB and RB positions there are many to choose from. Mcafadden is the quickest the one most predict to become NFL caliber star RB. But the draft is deep with top quality average NFL speed (4.45 to 4.50) A similar problem exists at CB. Jenkins is the prototypical top guy for CB and then you have 4 or 5 guys that all have good skills but not ideal size or good size but raw skills. The point I'm trying to make is if we can't have Williams or Mcfadden/Mendenhal, we really might as well trade down and save some money and gain a pick.. To me there is still alot of talent from pick 20 to pick 80. A guy like Stewart to me is not in the same class as Mcfadden, but hes also not much better than someone we could easily grab in round 2 or 3. Same goes for the CB's Cromartie is not a start from day one guy and neither are most of the guys in his range. If we get lucky and mckelvin is there, throw the dice maybe he's the answer......and maybe not.

Long is being touted as a lock pro bowler on the right side. The question with him is he is not as fleet of foot as Joe Thomas was last year. Ohat and Clady are the exact opposite of what you have posted. Both have the athletisim to eclipse Long over time as franchise OLTs. Believe what you want.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/combine/buzz.html

There's a Reason He's #1
• Just saw some footage of Michigan OT Jake Long weighing in and one word comes to mind: IMPRESSIVE. Long came in at 6-7 and 313 lbs. and he carries the weight extremely well, almost to the point where he doesn't look like an offensive lineman. I'm not 100% sure but I think I might have even seen a six-pack... There have been rumors swirling for quite a while now that Long is going to work out a lot better than people think and if that winds up being the case those who've been questioning his ability to play left tackle in the NFL might have to reevaluate their opinions.

Hollywood John did everything in his article thursday but make the call. If a frachise type back is there at the eighteen...the Texan's will pick the guy. With all of these guys on the board at Rb I'm not convinced that is the shrewd move though.

threetoedpete
02-23-2008, 03:56 PM

and just with which player have the Texan's ever done this ? Hayes would be the first wouldn't he? And with the colapse of Mathis this off season, I highly doubt that the texan's touch, with a ten foot pole, anything that has a red flag on character tagged on him.

beerlover
02-23-2008, 05:35 PM
I didn't notice Anthony Collins today @ the combine he is my second favorite LT prospect for the Texans after Chris Williams so don't forget about him especially if the Texans do attempt to trade down.

the next three days will be key for the other need positions, RB (Sunday) DE/DT (Monday) & CB (Tuesday).

threetoedpete
02-24-2008, 11:30 AM
I didn't notice Anthony Collins today @ the combine he is my second favorite LT prospect for the Texans after Chris Williams so don't forget about him especially if the Texans do attempt to trade down.

the next three days will be key for the other need positions, RB (Sunday) DE/DT (Monday) & CB (Tuesday).

Yeah they didn't show much of Cousins today either. I've already complained about the coverage. The sweetie pies on NFLn won't miss the prety boys today though.

The center from Texas Agricultrual and Mechanical better pray some coach has an unmarried daughter and a PS slot. My advise to the lad is get your application into Massey of Deer Park or Gary Joseph of Katy.

threetoedpete
02-24-2008, 11:41 PM
I think they would be completely fine with James Hardy falling to them.

They interviewed Hardy this afternoon. He is very much like A.J. Very unassuming. Takes his blocking as a point of pride and wants to get better at it.
I'll be kinda of surprised if the steelers pass the guy by. Complete opposite of Plaxico in terms of attitude. They do need lineman. But they've been looking for a reciever like Hardy for seven years. Hines Ward can't go on for ever. Father time catches us all. After a seven year search they pass on the perfect prospect ? I dunno about that one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_NFL_Draft

I like Buba caldwell more and more. Andre is having a very nice off season. I wouldn't give two six packs and a ham sandwich for the brother.

beerlover
02-25-2008, 12:37 PM

wow this guy really impressed me today, talk all you want about Long & Gholston but this guy will be a performer on Sundays. they also said he weighed in 291 lbs. that changes some things in my view, meaning he plays straight up DE in a 4-3, while Long/Gholston fit 3-4 OLB role. Since Merling choose not to compete (groin?) Harvey showed me explosive speed, size to also play 3 technique, strength (31 reps) everything your looking for from a DE he may be the most complete package for Cincinnati @ #9 which would move Merling down to the Vikings (based pick more on need) Harvey demonstrated a high ceiling & bpa for the Bengals.

Goldensilence
02-25-2008, 12:43 PM
They interviewed Hardy this afternoon. He is very much like A.J. Very unassuming. Takes his blocking as a point of pride and wants to get better at it.
I'll be kinda of surprised if the steelers pass the guy by. Complete opposite of Plaxico in terms of attitude. They do need lineman. But they've been looking for a reciever like Hardy for seven years. Hines Ward can't go on for ever. Father time catches us all. After a seven year search they pass on the perfect prospect ? I dunno about that one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_NFL_Draft

I like Buba caldwell more and more. Andre is having a very nice off season. I wouldn't give two six packs and a ham sandwich for the brother.

:heh: @ the Sebastian Janikowski pick.

Maddict5
02-25-2008, 01:27 PM
wow this guy really impressed me today, talk all you want about Long & Gholston but this guy will be a performer on Sundays. they also said he weighed in 291 lbs. that changes some things in my view, meaning he plays straight up DE in a 4-3, while Long/Gholston fit 3-4 OLB role. Since Merling choose not to compete (groin?) Harvey showed me explosive speed, size to also play 3 technique, strength (31 reps) everything your looking for from a DE he may be the most complete package for Cincinnati @ #9 which would move Merling down to the Vikings (based pick more on need) Harvey demonstrated a high ceiling & bpa for the Bengals.

it was a typo... 271 was his weight. still plenty big to play 4-3 DE. we'd have to look hard if he slips to 18

beerlover
02-25-2008, 02:11 PM
it was a typo... 271 was his weight. still plenty big to play 4-3 DE. we'd have to look hard if he slips to 18

didn't think he looked that big :thisbig: which would explain how he moved so well in every drill, explosive off the edge, real productive player @ Florida. you know, can't beleive I'm saying this, but wouldn't the Texans have to consider him if he was still on the board @ #18? just imagine how good our DL would become :d:

beerlover
02-25-2008, 02:17 PM
4-3 LB's in pre-combine mock did nothing, Rivers nursing what could be a chronic injury while Connors went home early, sick. feel somewhat satisfied with their positions although they could drop even further than I currently have them slotted.

badboy
02-25-2008, 02:32 PM
The big problem I see this year, is most experts agree that Long and Williams are the best LT prospects with Claddy and Otah being more RT or Guard, so the Texans only have one real shot at a LT and that is Williams. But at the CB and RB positions there are many to choose from. Mcafadden is the quickest the one most predict to become NFL caliber star RB. But the draft is deep with top quality average NFL speed (4.45 to 4.50) A similar problem exists at CB. Jenkins is the prototypical top guy for CB and then you have 4 or 5 guys that all have good skills but not ideal size or good size but raw skills. The point I'm trying to make is if we can't have Williams or Mcfadden/Mendenhal, we really might as well trade down and save some money and gain a pick.. To me there is still alot of talent from pick 20 to pick 80. A guy like Stewart to me is not in the same class as Mcfadden, but hes also not much better than someone we could easily grab in round 2 or 3. Same goes for the CB's Cromartie is not a start from day one guy and neither are most of the guys in his range. If we get lucky and mckelvin is there, throw the dice maybe he's the answer......and maybe not.I have voiced a need for locking in a LT for years. Caught some heat over pushing for a trade down two years ago for LT when Bush seemed to be the #1 pick. LT is a need again but here is how I view it. I think Williams, Clady and Long will be gone by our pick. Baker may be there but is imo a solid LT for years but not a franchise type player. Who know how he will develop but that could be said for all players. I am leery of Oniel Cousins as some evaluators have him playing guard and not LT.

I am concerned one of two things will happen concerning LT, either we over reach and draft a player much higher than he is evaluated so we can say we got a tackle or we wait until later and maybe miss our guy and settle for a project or maybe worse no LT at all. A trade down sounds great but what will the trade be? Just because we think a deal works does not mean the other team will agree. I can very easily see no trade down from #18.

I disagree with your appraisal of Steward and think most people rank him as second best back with Mendenlhall close. All we have to go by (at least most of us) is stats and what others say that we have trusted over years to give us good info. I see Steward as a franchise type back. His speed at 4.48 for 233 lbs is phenomenal. He has combination size/weight as well as speed and quickness.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jonathan-stewart?id=949

To summarize at # 18 there will probably not be a LT or CB that can be labeled "franchise". If Steward or maybe even Mendenhall is there, I say lock and load. I will never go for a good player at a need position when a very good to possibly outstanding player at another need position is available. Kubes has said that he thinks there are several left tackles available for Texans. I am interested in Heath Benedict. From a division two school, he seems to be doing ok last few weeks. 6'5" 321 lbs and 4.99 speed had me do a double take. It would be interesting to see what Gibbs could do with this guy.

beerlover
02-25-2008, 02:33 PM
just found this article from the Bengals website - http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6657

which supports the idea of taking a DE & from what I saw or didn't see today Harvey is the complete package, don't look for Long or Gholston to slip, given outstanding combine #'s or even if Cincinnati switches to a 3-4 Harvey would be the choice over Merling.

nunusguy
02-25-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm hearing a lot about Branden Albert, an OL who actually played inside at
guard for Virginia most of the time he was there. He has good length (like 6'7"
& 35" arms) and good feet so he might be potetially a LT at the next level.
Thoghts on how he stacks up agaisnt the top OTs ?
BTW, those combine stats for DEs Long & Gholston are pretty impressive but
makes Marios performance in '06 all that more impressive since he did all of those things even though he's 'bout 3 taller & 20-25 lbs. bigger than those
2 guys this year.

bah007
02-25-2008, 03:12 PM
makes Marios performance in '06 all that more impressive since he did all of those things even though he's 'bout 3 taller & 20-25 lbs. bigger than those
2 guys this year.

I believe Albert was asked whether he thought of himself as a OT or a OG & he said guard.

Either way, the kid looks dominant.

beerlover
02-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Brandon Albert could easily sneek into the 1st rd. he showcased his athletic ability, speed & other measureables @ the combine. could slot him in Collins spot for Pittsburgh, Bakers spot, San Fransciso or Super Bowl champion Giants.

Ole Miss Texan
02-25-2008, 03:30 PM
2 guys this year.

I really like Branden Albert a lot. He's got excellent size and may even be TOO tall for guard. Very athletic and looked very fluid during the 3-cone drill. He's definitly 1st round material and might not even last to 18. If Kubiak and Gibbs thought he was BPA at the time we select, I think he would really help our OL out. Starting out at Guard (which currently is NOT a strength on our team) at the beginning of the season and maybe getting some reps in at Left Tackle.

I'm not sure what the protypical arm length should look like for a Left Tackle but 35" sound great. In relation to...

Robert Gallery- 31" (said to be short)
Marcus McNeill- 33"
Joe Thomas- 33"
Jake Long- 35"

Branden Albert and Rashard Mendenhall are two of my favorite prospects right now.

badboy
02-25-2008, 03:36 PM
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=33795 SOme info here.

beerlover
02-26-2008, 03:02 PM
well the combine is now completed for 08. 1st rd. talent moving up the draft boards & mock drafts because of strong combine production in either re-affirmation (Chris Long) or gathering more info about lesser known small school prospects (Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie) should improve all y'alls understanding of the 08 draft.

off the top of my head here is my list of prospects who helped themselves-

Chris Long
Darren McFadden
Jake Long
Vernon Gholston
Derrick Harvey
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
Chris Williams
Rashard Mendenhall
Jonathan Stewart
Leodis McKelvin
Aqib Talib
Brandon Flowers
Brandon Albert
Chris Johnson
Joe Flacco
Trevor Laws
Ray Rice
Tracy Porter
Dustin Keller
Wesley Woodyard
Andre Caldwell
Kellen Davis
Jordy Nelson
Dexter Jackson
James Hardy
Jamaal Charles
Matt Forte
Marcus Howard
Quentin Groves

bah007
02-26-2008, 03:04 PM
well the combine is now completed for 08. 1st rd. talent moving up the draft boards & mock drafts because of strong combine production in either re-affirmation (Chris Long) or gathering more info about lesser known small school prospects (Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie) should improve all y'alls understanding of the 08 draft.

off the top of my head here is my list of prospects who helped themselves-

Chris Long
Darren McFadden
Jake Long
Vernon Gholston
Derrick Harvey
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
Chris Williams
Rashard Mendenhall
Jonathan Stewart
Leodis McKelvin
Aqib Talib
Brandon Flowers
Brandon Albert
Chris Johnson
Joe Flacco
Trevor Laws
Ray Rice
Tracy Porter
Dustin Keller
Wesley Woodyard
Andre Caldwell
Kellen Davis
Jordy Nelson
Dexter Jackson
James Hardy
Jamaal Charles
Matt Forte
Marcus Howard
Quentin Groves

Limas Sweed, DaJuan Morgan, Josh Barrett.

beerlover
03-17-2008, 03:28 PM
just noticed this http://patsdraft.com/Contrasting_Mocks.htm Tom who moderates a Patriot draft website was kind enough to post it (emailed him just to get some feedback) prior to the combine & free agency with his own mock draft to compare. kinda cool see what y'all think :)

threetoedpete
03-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Nice beerlover. I liked the "too perfect to h@ppen picks". Too true.

PHAROAH
03-18-2008, 03:40 PM
I think that green will be cut after june 1st he isn't reliable at all he missed the majority of the season last year and chris taylor did absolutely nothing so how could the texans expect anything from them? I think the Texans would be foolish to expect any of the current backs on that roster to carry the load in a lead role because all of them including Chris Brown can't stay healthy it is a fact, so I see the Texans considering a RB pretty high on the 1st day of the draft.

infantrycak
03-18-2008, 04:02 PM
I think that green will be cut after june 1st he isn't reliable at all he missed the majority of the season last year

If the Texans were planning on that, they would have already cut Green. Teams can now cut two players in advance of June 1st and declare them June 1st cuts.

Lucky
03-18-2008, 04:20 PM
If the Texans were planning on that, they would have already cut Green.
What I've heard from the Texans (via McClain and/or Justice) is that the Texans will give Green an opportunity to prove his healthiness in the OTA and mini camps. If he can't participate, then the June 1st cut would be an option. I don't think Green is a lock to make this roster by a long shot.

Goldensilence
03-18-2008, 04:24 PM
What I've heard from the Texans (via McClain and/or Justice) is that the Texans will give Green an opportunity to prove his healthiness in the OTA and mini camps. If he can't participate, then the June 1st cut would be an option. I don't think Green is a lock to make this roster by a long shot.

That was my first initial thought as well.I think it would most prudent for both sides that way.

infantrycak
03-18-2008, 04:38 PM

Now that I agree with--if he has a health hiccup he gets cut. I just don't see them having any intention of cutting him unless something happens though.

Maddict5
03-18-2008, 06:34 PM
would it be wise to cut green and re-sign him to a lesser, incentive-laden contract like the falcs did with joey? etc

beerlover
03-19-2008, 01:44 AM
this is whats satisfying about doing your own mocks, getting it right or at least putting yourself in other teams shoes, even if their not your team & still coming close both in needs, talent & fit-

from Mike Garafolo, The Star-Ledger -

It was all about Matt Ryan today at Boston College's pro day. But the Giants, who are looking pretty good at QB right now, had their eyes on the big boys. Offensive line coach Pat Flaherty and one scout were here, both with their eyes on the OL drills. Assistant line coach Dave DeGuglielmo was scheduled to be here, but I just heard he flew down to Georgia's pro day instead. Still, Flaherty's presence as well as the scout's standing by the line drills instead of elsewhere, tells you where the Giants were looking. Their main focus was BC tackle Gosder Cherilus, a big (6-7, 320 pounds), athletic guy who showed some outstanding pop on the bags today. He's got a great frame with long arms and, having seen him work out in person, I now understand these multiple scouting reports that say when he locks on to a defender, it's all over for the other guy. I like his size and athleticism a lot. Apparently, so do the Giants. I just spoke to Cherilus again and he said he'll be visiting the Giants on Apr. 14. Maybe they'll be looking to grab him at No. 31 or in the second round.

badboy
03-20-2008, 03:46 PM
this is whats satisfying about doing your own mocks, getting it right or at least putting yourself in other teams shoes, even if their not your team & still coming close both in needs, talent & fit-

from Mike Garafolo, The Star-Ledger -

It was all about Matt Ryan today at Boston College's pro day. But the Giants, who are looking pretty good at QB right now, had their eyes on the big boys. Offensive line coach Pat Flaherty and one scout were here, both with their eyes on the OL drills. Assistant line coach Dave DeGuglielmo was scheduled to be here, but I just heard he flew down to Georgia's pro day instead. Still, Flaherty's presence as well as the scout's standing by the line drills instead of elsewhere, tells you where the Giants were looking. Their main focus was BC tackle Gosder Cherilus, a big (6-7, 320 pounds), athletic guy who showed some outstanding pop on the bags today. He's got a great frame with long arms and, having seen him work out in person, I now understand these multiple scouting reports that say when he locks on to a defender, it's all over for the other guy. I like his size and athleticism a lot. Apparently, so do the Giants. I just spoke to Cherilus again and he said he'll be visiting the Giants on Apr. 14. Maybe they'll be looking to grab him at No. 31 or in the second round.
Any recent news on who Texans will be watching?