PDA

View Full Version : Texan's to release Putzier?

Hottoddie
02-16-2008, 01:55 PM
http://profootballexperts.scout.com/2/729529.html

According to this article, the Texans are planning on releasing Putzier & resigning Breuner. This surprises me a little bit. Any opinions? I didn't see this reported anywhere. Sorry if it has been.

Brandon420tx
02-16-2008, 01:58 PM
I'm not shocked in the slightest actually.

gary
02-16-2008, 02:01 PM
So soon? Give him time.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
02-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Dreessen will take his place.

gary
02-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Dreessen will take his place. He had a decent year this year.

Brandon420tx
02-16-2008, 02:10 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dreesen can long snap too right?

Hottoddie
02-16-2008, 02:12 PM

I forgot about him. Cutting Putzier saves us about $1.25 million this year.

The Pencil Neck
02-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dreesen can long snap too right?

Supposedly. Both Dreessen and Zgonina can long snap.

But Pittman only had 1 really bad snap that I can remember last year.

But I really liked Dreessen in the preseason last year and he played pretty well during the regular season.

I like Putz but I don't think this is a bad move. I just wish we could get something for Putzier.

gary
02-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dreesen can long snap too right? Right.

Texans_Chick
02-16-2008, 02:22 PM
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/sports.aol.com/fanhouse/media/2007/05/jeb-putzier-schwarzenegger.jpg

If this is true, I only wish him the best.

From the past....Texans Locker Room Hijinx: 'You've Been Putzied!' (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/05/31/texans-locker-room-hijinx-youve-been-putzied/)

GP
02-16-2008, 03:43 PM
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/sports.aol.com/fanhouse/media/2007/05/jeb-putzier-schwarzenegger.jpg

If this is true, I only wish him the best.

From the past....Texans Locker Room Hijinx: 'You've Been Putzied!' (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/05/31/texans-locker-room-hijinx-youve-been-putzied/)

LOL. Was thinking that it was one of your posters, TC.

I thought "Well, there's a Ray Finkle 'moment' right there..."

Laces out...

-------

Ray's mom: "It's all that damn Dan Marino's fault. Dan Marino should die of ghonorrhea and rot in hell...Care for a cookie?"

Ace: "Hmmph...little footballs..."

Ray's mom: "Laces out!"

(perhaps one of my most favorite movie moments of all time.)

painekiller
02-16-2008, 04:17 PM
I like Putz but I don't think this is a bad move. I just wish we could get something for Putzier.

Right he has done nothing in 2 years here, he did nothing his last year in Denver and was let go. If it was not for Kubiak wanting a player/coach to teach the other players what he wanted from them Putz would have been cut a long time ago.

Dressen is a hard worker overachiever and Kubiak has grown to respect him. A 3some Daniels, Breuner and Dressen is a solid group.

CloakNNNdagger
02-16-2008, 04:33 PM
Doesn't surprise me either..........there is no better blocking TE on the team..........for whoever becomes our main RB and for our QB. Furthermore, Bruener has shown some recent ability to catch the ball in some crucial situations.

nunusguy
02-16-2008, 05:38 PM
Breuner has a PhD in Economics. Just another example of why it pays to get a good education in this day and times.

Grid
02-16-2008, 05:53 PM
wonder if we are thinking of putting Breuner on the line in Alex Gibbs system.

Hervoyel
02-16-2008, 07:25 PM
Bruener was the starter for many years in Pittsburgh before coming here and a Steeler fan I know was really bummed about losing him. He told me then that Bruener can catch but the Steelers don't throw to him and that Bruener can block like a madman.

With Houston I never saw it but then prior to Kubiak coming here we weren't exactly fully functional on offense. If the coaches think they need Bruener and not Putzier then I'm good with that.

b0ng
02-16-2008, 08:17 PM
I'm okay with Putzier getting released seeing as Bruener still serves a purpose (blocking).

I don't think Bruener is going to stay in the league much longer. Hopefully he can teach Mr. Daniels how to put a block on somebody before he retires.

Scooter
02-16-2008, 09:03 PM
:shots:

sakebomb
02-17-2008, 08:52 AM
I just wish we could get something for Putzier.

Cap Space

Vinny
02-17-2008, 09:02 AM
I think tje coaches were likely disappointed at our TE play last season from top to bottom and this doesn't shock me a bit...I do think we pursue another TE of some sort and I'm thinking right now that Bruenner doesn't make the team this year either...but he will go into camp as "plan b" at TE if we can't upgrade...just my random take on this.

Hottoddie
02-17-2008, 09:29 AM
When I said I was a little surprised by this potential move, I was mainly looking at their ages. Breuner will be turning 36 by the beginning of next season & Putzier is 28. Of course, ya'll make valid points & if the player doesn't produce, he's of no use to the team.

Texans34Life
02-17-2008, 09:41 AM
One of the original Denver Texans. Good luck w/ whatever you do, Putz.

TheIronDuke
02-17-2008, 01:54 PM
One of the original Denver Texans. Good luck w/ whatever you do, Putz.

Putz, lol.

I think Putzier was supposed to be what OD turned out to be. Putzier really hasn't done anything that I can think of and, for some reason, Dreesen's good at getting open space in the EZ.

Insideop
02-17-2008, 02:00 PM
When I said I was a little surprised by this potential move, I was mainly looking at their ages. Breuner will be turning 36 by the beginning of next season & Putzier is 28. Of course, ya'll make valid points & if the player doesn't produce, he's of no use to the team.

Maybe we should look at Dreessen's age compaired to Putzier's. I think he is a little younger. And the fact that he caught 2 TD's last year in limited playing time and can Deep Snap, well, it just seems like "the handwriting was on the wall" for Putzier. He was signed as a "stop gap" (as most of our FA's are) until we got a better replacement. Breuner, on the other hand, is still, even at 36, considered one of the best blocking TE's in the NFL. I wish Putzier the best of luck wherever he goes. JMHO!

badboy
02-18-2008, 03:13 PM
I see it as OD, Dreesen and Breuner in new ZBS. Maybe a 6th or 7th round or UDFA for TC. I see $1.25 million added to cap and probably a few more moves like this attributed to Chris Olsen our cap guru.

Dallas_Texan
02-18-2008, 03:25 PM
I see it as OD, Dreesen and Breuner in new ZBS. Maybe a 6th or 7th round or UDFA for TC. I see $1.25 million added to cap and probably a few more moves like this attributed to Chris Olsen our cap guru.

Speaking of the Cap Guru Chris Olsen. Will he look to extend Mario and Demeco's contracts this year, or is it too early?

badboy
02-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Speaking of the Cap Guru Chris Olsen. Will he look to extend Mario and Demeco's contracts this year, or is it too early?From the conversations I've had with Keith at Houstonprofootball.com, the Texans would love to lock Mario in, but it is complicated as I posted on another thread. Even if the bonus is given to Mario to lengthen his deal, it can be pro rated to keep cap hit down. I still do not see where this $21m cap room is coming from. It should be $35m apprx, and some what less after Mario deal is completed. I think the deal will be done soon.

El Tejano
02-18-2008, 03:45 PM
I see this as Gibbs saying, "um this guy sucked the last time I coached". Just thinking. I do see it as Bruener being more valuable in the pass and run blocking scheme as well.