PDA

View Full Version : Alge Crumpler, Rod Coleman, Wayne Gandy Released!

Dallas_Texan
02-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Alge Crumpler, Byron Leftwhich, LT Wayne Gandy, DT Rod Coleman, CB Lewis Sanders, and LB Marcus Wilkins were released today by the Falcons.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3247718

Blazing Arrow
02-15-2008, 01:42 PM
Dibs on Crumpler!

Koolaid Time
02-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Since most Mock Drafts have Matt Ryan going to the Falcons, with Atlanta bringing in an experienced QB to "mentor" him.. I wonder why they don't go ahead and get rid of Joey Harrington while they are at it?

Dallas_Texan
02-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Since most Mock Drafts have Matt Ryan going to the Falcons, with Atlanta bringing in an experienced QB to "mentor" him.. I wonder why they don't go ahead and get rid of Joey Harrington while they are at it?

I've read they're still looking at cutting Warrick Dunn somewhere too. I think from that Adam Schefter article on espn.com?

Blazing Arrow
02-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Falcons are cleaning house to start the rebuild. Vic curse? Looks like it struck the fins too. :whip:

WesmanTexanfan
02-15-2008, 02:00 PM

I guess you missed the game when he TORE US UP!!!!

Honestly not a single QB(except maybe peyton in our 2nd colts game) tore us a new one like Harrington did when we lost to the falcons......

eriadoc
02-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Crumpler will be a quality add for any team. He has the potential, IMO, to be every bit as imposing as Gates or Gonzales, in the right offense.

eriadoc
02-15-2008, 02:01 PM

Honestly not a single QB(except maybe peyton in our 2nd colts game) tore us a new one like Harrington did when we lost to the falcons......

Ryan Fitzpatrick. Mark Brunell.

Oh, this past year ..... n/m.

WesmanTexanfan
02-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Ryan Fitzpatrick. Mark Brunell.

Oh, this past year ..... n/m.

lol, ya this year

Koolaid Time
02-15-2008, 02:06 PM

Well, we were the exception, rather than the rule last season.

Tampa Bay ate him for lunch.

WesmanTexanfan
02-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Well, we were the exception, rather than the rule last season.

Tampa Bay ate him for lunch.

Ya, I know, i tryd to tell people this but they didnt listen. He wasnt great this season at all but he played lights out against us.....:aggressive:

El Tejano
02-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Ya, I know, i tryd to tell people this but they didnt listen. He wasnt great this season at all but he played lights out against us.....:aggressive:

Harrington always plays that way against us. Remember when we went to Detroit?

Texans34Life
02-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Do you guys think the Texans can run a 2 TE set if we bring in Crumpler? I know Breuner and Putz are still on the team, but maybe we can dump Putz and replace him w/ Crumpler....

WesmanTexanfan
02-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Do you guys think the Texans can run a 2 TE set if we bring in Crumpler? I know Breuner and Putz are still on the team, but maybe we can dump Putz and replace him w/ Crumpler....

can crumpler block? If yes, then HELLS YA!!!!

Goldensilence
02-15-2008, 02:59 PM

I think Bruener will be most likely cut after this year. Dressen made him expendable. Crumpler would be a giant upgrade over Putz anyway.

However careful with some people on this board if you mention bringing in a talented player over 30; aside from running backs anway.

WesmanTexanfan
02-15-2008, 03:03 PM
question: why the hell would you cut alge???

bah007
02-15-2008, 03:03 PM

I dont think Crumpler is the kind of guy that would play second fiddle to anybody, and if we brought him in, I'm guessing that Owen would still be the starter.

WesmanTexanfan
02-15-2008, 03:05 PM
I dont think Crumpler is the kind of guy that would play second fiddle to anybody, and if we brought him in, I'm guessing that Owen would still be the starter.

Deffinately, especially since kubiak is a clear "you have to earn it in practice" guy....

IlliniJen
02-15-2008, 03:23 PM

Remember, our vanilla defense has a propensity for making bad QBs look like pro bowlers for the one game they play against us from time to time.

Dallas_Texan
02-15-2008, 03:25 PM

Um...I think Alge wouldn't have a problem "earning it" in practice. They could easily become a seriously FEARED tight end tandem in the NFL. Now can we afford it...that's another question.

bah007
02-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Um...I think Alge wouldn't have a problem "earning it" in practice. They could easily become a seriously FEARED tight end tandem in the NFL. Now can we afford it...that's another question.

I dont remember saying that.

Why would he go to the Texans to "earn" a job when he can go somewhere else and "have" one.

The major mistake that most Texans fans make when talking about free agents is that they assume that guys actually want to come here. But for the most part, they dont.

All they see is a franchise that has never made the playoffs and whatever BS that the media happens to be throwing at us (drafting OL, Carr, passing on Bush, etc.....).

I dont want to throw huge money at a "potential" starting TE.

Dallas_Texan
02-15-2008, 03:59 PM

Why would he go to the Texans to "earn" a job when he can go somewhere else and "have" one.

The major mistake that most Texans fans make when talking about free agents is that they assume that guys actually want to come here. But for the most part, they dont.

All they see is a franchise that has never made the playoffs and whatever BS that the media happens to be throwing at us (drafting OL, Carr, passing on Bush, etc.....).

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest you said that, I'm just saying that IF the Texans decided to go after him, I think it's safe to say that they would guarantee him a starting job.

I think you're right about FA's not wanting to come here, but I would think even a barely decent salesman could convince someone that you could be a face in the crowd in NE, or a star in Houston. With Alge we could rely on Gibbs to fix the O-line, and focus on defense in the draft, and maybe one more player in FA. That would make us one heck of a team next year. I know it's not likely, but Schaub throwing to AJ, Walter, A Davis, Owen Daniels, AND Alge...we could have an RB with a broken leg and he'd still get a decent ypc average.

nero THE zero
02-15-2008, 05:11 PM

You're ignoring a huge factor in how players choose where they want to go in free agency. As we've seen through Kubiak's tenure here there is a strong propensity for players to go to systems that they have played in and are comfortable in. Friends, whether it be coaches or players, is a huge draw for FA in their seaqrch for their next team. As you could imagine, players in the NFL get close to certain people and there is no doubt that FAs are drawn to places where they have friends.

Then there are other considerations like facilities, the city the team is in, family, etc etc.

It's not as simple as you're making it.

drewmar74
02-15-2008, 05:28 PM
I think you're right about FA's not wanting to come here, but I would think even a barely decent salesman could convince someone that you could be a face in the crowd in NE, or a star in Houston.

I think in a lot of cases that desire to get a ring trumps wanting to be a star. It doesn't always work, but I digress.

Signed,

Randy Moss
"Straight cash, homey"

Polo
02-15-2008, 08:45 PM
If I'm Crumpler the Texans are probably a little ways down on the list of teams I'm considering right now.

WesmanTexanfan
02-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Remember, our vanilla defense has a propensity for making bad QBs look like pro bowlers for the one game they play against us from time to time.

ok, but none did like harrington did, he wrecked us, no one played us like he did outside of our division.....

mattieuk
02-15-2008, 09:30 PM
If I'm Crumpler the Texans are probably a little ways down on the list of teams I'm considering right now.

Do we even need Crumpler anyways? I see Daniels as a more than adequate revieving TE (especially when he holds onto the ball), and Bruener has a year left in him as a blocking TE, so who pay stupid money for Crumpler when that money could be spent in FA or trading for a better draft pick.

Then again, I've been drinking, perhaps thats bad thinking...

Carr Bombed
02-15-2008, 10:03 PM
The Texans have absolutely no need for Alge Crumpler, our FA dollars have plenty of other pressing needs to be thrown at.

GuerillaBlack
02-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Though Crumpler would be nice. He won't be cheap.

Hervoyel
02-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Do we even need Crumpler anyways? I see Daniels as a more than adequate revieving TE (especially when he holds onto the ball), and Bruener has a year left in him as a blocking TE, so who pay stupid money for Crumpler when that money could be spent in FA or trading for a better draft pick.

Then again, I've been drinking, perhaps thats bad thinking...

I think you have a very good point. The money it would take to secure Crumplers services would be better spent in any of a half-dozen other places.