PDA

View Full Version : The cuts have already started

Errant Hothy
02-11-2008, 02:52 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AmPRLmPETXPT3iDrz2JpLw05nYcB?slug=ap-dolphinsmoves&prov=ap&type=lgns

Quarterback Trent Green and wide receiver Marty Booker are among nine players cut by the Miami Dolphins.

Other notable cuts by the Dolphins on Monday include tackle L.J. Shelton and defensive tackle Keith Traylor. Both played key roles for Miami this past season, when the Dolphins sputtered to a franchise-worst 1-15 record.

The Dolphins also waived tackle Anthony Alabi, defensive tackle Anthony Bryant, tackle Marion Dukes, defensive tackle Marquay Love and tackle Joe Toledo.

ArlingtonTexan
02-11-2008, 04:56 PM
This board must be slipping, 2 hours and no we should sign ______ threads.

TexansSeminole
02-11-2008, 05:08 PM
I'll take Keith Traylor for a stop gap DT. This guy is still a hoss, put him between Mario and Amobi and watch him eat offensive lineman.

Lucky
02-11-2008, 05:14 PM
The Panthers release Morgan & Wahle (http://www.panthers.com/Common/Article.aspx?id=30620).

The Carolina Panthers have released linebacker Dan Morgan and guard Mike Wahle, the team announced Monday.

"These were tough decisions, because Dan and Mike have been valuable members of our team and have done everything we have asked of them over the years," said head coach John Fox. "They are both very dedicated to the game of football and earned the respect of everyone who worked with them."
No word on the fate of Mr. Mittens.

PapaL
02-11-2008, 05:20 PM
The Denver Broncos released LB Warrick Holdman Monday, Feb. 11; link (http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl)

Great - A guy with Denver ties is now a FA - how long before he visits?

alphajoker
02-11-2008, 05:25 PM
The Panthers release Morgan & Wahle (http://www.panthers.com/Common/Article.aspx?id=30620).

No word on the fate of Mr. Mittens.

Not yet...

Lucky
02-11-2008, 05:41 PM
The Denver Broncos released LB Warrick Holdman Monday, Feb. 11; link (http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl)

Bonus points: Holdman's also an Aggie.

AnthonyE
02-11-2008, 05:55 PM

Not to mention a native Houstonian.

EDIT:

From Wikipedia:
Holdman was drafted in the 1999 NFL Draft by the Chicago Bears. That year, Holdman started as nickel linebacker and on special teams before landing a starting spot on the weak side. He played in all 16 games, and had 75 tackles. He also had two sacks, two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and 11 special teams tackles. Holdman had a superb sophomore season in 2000, in which he had 87 tackles. He also added 9 tackles on special teams. In 2001, Holdman came back strong after rehabilitating his injured left knee, starting 15 of 16 games, recording a career-high 145 tackles and 3 forced fumbles. Unfortunately, in 2002, he started the first four games before suffering a season-ending right knee injury. In his fifth season with the Bears in 2003, he returned from a knee injury to start 13 games and totaled 79 tackles. Holdman was then traded to the Cleveland Browns in 2004, where he appeared in all 16 games, starting 14, and posted 110 tackles, a half sack and three pass breakups. He then moved to the Washington Redskins in 2005, where he played in 14 games, starting 7 of them. On April 26, 2007 he signed a one-year deal with the Broncos. On February 11, 2008 the Broncos released him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrick_Holdman

Sounds like a cheap player. I wouldn't be suprised if we signed him. xD

PapaL
02-11-2008, 05:58 PM

EDIT:

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrick_Holdman

Sounds like a cheap player. I wouldn't be suprised if we signed him. xD

So your starting the new thread?

disaacks3
02-11-2008, 06:01 PM

Sounds like a Trifecta....what's the O/U on this...1 week?

TEXANS84
02-11-2008, 06:01 PM

Houston ties as well (one of my clients).
We could probably land him for a minimum. Was actually a decent player when with the Bears. Tapered off late in his career.

Wouldn't suprise me if we took a look at him.

AnthonyE
02-11-2008, 06:03 PM
So your starting the new thread?

Maybe...

Hottoddie
02-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Wasn't Joe Toledo a hot Tackle prospect at one time? What happened to him?

PapaL
02-11-2008, 07:41 PM

You're think of Holy Toledo. This was his little brother Joe - not so good. :gun:

kastofsna
02-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Glass Joe's been injured since the day Miami drafted him.

nunusguy
02-12-2008, 07:20 AM
Glass Joe's been injured since the day Miami drafted him.
"For a big man, Toledo is exceptionally athletic, with an ideal body for an offensive tackle. At his collegiate workout day, he reportedly ran a 4.76 in the 40, which is unheard of in a man his size. His athleticism is balanced by his lack of experience at tackle and it will probably take time to develop him into a complete offensive lineman. "
http://www.phins.com/draft-06/jtoledo.html
Yea that's his Achilles’ heel for sure, he's very injury prone. In college and then the NFL.
But because of his athleticism he's got ZB written all over him and new OC &
OLine guru Gibbs may like his physical profile enough and decide the Texans should try to sign him.

badboy
02-12-2008, 08:52 AM
Were the Texans interested in LJ Shelton within last couple of years? Does he have any talents left?

Texan_Bill
02-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Were the Texans interested in LJ Shelton within last couple of years? Does he have any talents left?

Andre Ware mentioned this morning that LJ Shelton tried out for the Texans preceeding the 2-14 season. He (Andre) also said at the time, he thought that the Texans would sign Shelton.... FWIW.

Dallas_Texan
02-12-2008, 11:15 AM
This board must be slipping, 2 hours and no we should sign ______ threads.

Nice!

Hope you didn't get any hail damage last night!

Dallas_Texan
02-12-2008, 11:22 AM
I'll take Keith Traylor for a stop gap DT. This guy is still a hoss, put him between Mario and Amobi and watch him eat offensive lineman.

But.......he's 38? Isn't there a mandatory retirement for DT's? :thinking:

Vinny
02-12-2008, 11:31 AM
I'll take Keith Traylor for a stop gap DT. This guy is still a hoss, put him between Mario and Amobi and watch him eat offensive lineman.hes been eating allite...he's nearly 40 and he is a good 370. No thanks.

Were the Texans interested in LJ Shelton within last couple of years? Does he have any talents left?You see now why they didn't sign him.

kastofsna
02-12-2008, 12:04 PM
"For a big man, Toledo is exceptionally athletic, with an ideal body for an offensive tackle. At his collegiate workout day, he reportedly ran a 4.76 in the 40, which is unheard of in a man his size. His athleticism is balanced by his lack of experience at tackle and it will probably take time to develop him into a complete offensive lineman. "
http://www.phins.com/draft-06/jtoledo.html
Yea that's his Achilles’ heel for sure, he's very injury prone. In college and then the NFL.
But because of his athleticism he's got ZB written all over him and new OC &
OLine guru Gibbs may like his physical profile enough and decide the Texans should try to sign him.
not a ZB guy at all. Miami drafted him because our o-line coach at the time Hudson Houck liked big, aggressive athletic guys who would focus more on the passing game than the running game.

badboy
02-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Andre Ware mentioned this morning that LJ Shelton tried out for the Texans preceeding the 2-14 season. He (Andre) also said at the time, he thought that the Texans would sign Shelton.... FWIW.thanks, but that was 3 years ago. Anyone know what he is worth now? He'll be 32 in March.

The1ApplePie
02-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Morgan would be a good pick up for Sam LB if he can stay healthy.

Texan_Bill
02-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Morgan would be a good pick up for Sam LB if he can stay healthy.

Too much dain bramage....

Texan_Bill
02-12-2008, 02:51 PM
thanks, but that was 3 years ago. Anyone know what he is worth now? He'll be 32 in March.

I hear ya...

The only thing I have been able to find out is that he is fairly durable, starting all 16 games last year (some at LT and about 9 games at RG). Started 16 games in 2005. 12 in 2004.

mexican_texan
02-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Dan Morgan still thinks he's one of the best point guards around. We need that kind of swagger around here.

ArlingtonTexan
02-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Nice!

Hope you didn't get any hail damage last night!

No we avoided it..just interupted sleep. I am assuming you made it through ok.

Lucky
02-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Dan Morgan still thinks he's one of the best point guards around.
If true, those concussions have done more damage than anyone realized.

Dallas_Texan
02-13-2008, 04:55 PM

LOL!!!!! That's hilarious!

kastofsna
02-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Miami has 40 million in cap space now. expecting the Dolphins to make a good run at a prime free agent or two, a la the Niners last year.

TEXANS84
02-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Miami has 40 million in cap space now. expecting the Dolphins to make a good run at a prime free agent or two, a la the Niners last year.

Yes, possibly. But the Niners went nowhere with the moves.

TexanSam
02-13-2008, 09:45 PM

That would be improvement for the Dolphins

AnthonyE
02-13-2008, 09:48 PM
That would be improvement for the Dolphins

Badum ching!

kastofsna
02-14-2008, 12:50 AM
it's only one year.

kastofsna
02-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Zach Thomas has been released by Miami. the end of a nice long run with the Dolphins.

Second Honeymoon
02-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Zach Thomas has been released by Miami. the end of a nice long run with the Dolphins.

He will be missed. it's a shame he may not finish his career as a Dolphin. He was a really good and arguably great player and a guy Miami should be proud of.

As for the Dolphins current state, Parcells is gonna turn things around and it may be sooner than you think. It will happen.

Dallas_Texan
02-14-2008, 12:41 PM
He will be missed. it's a shame he may not finish his career as a Dolphin. He was a really good and arguably great player and a guy Miami should be proud of.

As for the Dolphins current state, Parcells is gonna turn things around and it may be sooner than you think. It will happen.

I hope so, I really like the Dolphins. Even when they're bad I route for them. When I was a kid I got to watch a practice they had at THE U (haha) and Marino threw me a ball, and I got to "race" Richmond Webb the Aggie! It was a blast for a nine or ten year old!

Texan_Bill
02-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Not a big fan of the Dolphins nor Tech, but I have a lot of respect for Zach Thomas... Always pull for the guy that's been told he is too small, too slow, etc. etc...

Great career Zach, and good luck!!!

HoustonFrog
02-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Not a big fan of the Dolphins nor Tech, but I have a lot of respect for Zach Thomas... Always pull for the guy that's been told he is too small, too slow, etc. etc...

Great career Zach, and good luck!!!

Agreed!He was a thorn in A&M's side and I loved it. Interception for a TD against Corey "the schnooz" Pulig.

Texan_Bill
02-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Agreed!He was a thorn in A&M's side and I loved it. Interception for a TD against Corey "the schnooz" Pulig.

Agree on the respect for his professional career, but all that other crap kinda sucked.. Bastard!!!!

:jk:

Errant Hothy
02-14-2008, 12:56 PM

Ahhh, the fall of 95. Great game, great game.

El Tejano
02-14-2008, 01:14 PM
I don't mean to bring up a should we sign him post but I have to ask. Is Jason Taylor a FA? If so, do you think this makes him not want to stay in Miami? If so, what do yall think of getting Taylor?

AnthonyE
02-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Zack Thomas anyone?

Move him to OLB. XD

Goldensilence
02-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Looks like Miami is really pulling the plug on everything.

Kast what's your take on QB? I thought I saw Cleo Lemon as a FA. Is Beck really an NFL Caliber prospect and will they bring in any other QB to compete?

kastofsna
02-14-2008, 08:48 PM
yeah Parcells is getting rid of any players that we had around because Saban and Cameron just liked them, and it was hurting the roster a bit just to have these players around. mostly guys like Toledo, Alabi, potentially Lemon.

Beck is the main guy right now i believe. i can't see Parcells going QB with the first pick, not with the defense in the current shape its in, and with some great prospects at the top of the draft.

Zach Thomas' agent says he wants the Patriots to nab him.

SF49erFaithful
02-14-2008, 08:54 PM
I like all these roster moves Miami is making a lot. With the current staff they have I think Miami could be a powerhouse within a few years.

HoustonFrog
02-14-2008, 09:03 PM
yeah Parcells is getting rid of any players that we had around because Saban and Cameron just liked them, and it was hurting the roster a bit just to have these players around. mostly guys like Toledo, Alabi, potentially Lemon.

Beck is the main guy right now i believe. i can't see Parcells going QB with the first pick, not with the defense in the current shape its in, and with some great prospects at the top of the draft.

He can be around his lesser clone, Larry Izzo from Rice.

SF49erFaithful
02-14-2008, 09:08 PM
It got us a pretty good defense. Clements and Lewis were legit. It was our offense that flopped. I wonder which big FAs Miami is interested in specifically.

AnthonyE
02-14-2008, 10:10 PM

No big suprise there. Go where they win.

b0ng
02-14-2008, 10:23 PM
It got us a pretty good defense. Clements and Lewis were legit. It was our offense that flopped. I wonder which big FAs Miami is interested in specifically.

I didn't know that you 9'ers fans thought that Clements was a good signing. I thought he was way overpaid for what he brought to the defense last year.

mexican_texan
02-14-2008, 11:10 PM
He says he averages more homers per month than Cap'n Crunch, so I imagine he's somewhat damaged goods. He's still better than Marcus Coleman was for us at FS though.

Texans Horror
02-15-2008, 12:05 AM
I think Zach still has some fuel in his motor. I'm not sure he'd be a great fit at Houston, but I know wherever he goes, he'll make Tech proud.

kastofsna
02-15-2008, 01:31 AM
speaking of concussions, Thomas has his own share of 'em. perhaps he can be some sort of player-coach elsewhere, but can't see him making a real impact.

Maddict5
02-15-2008, 01:39 AM
[QUOTE=SF49erFaithful;845349]I like all these roster moves Miami is making a lot. With the current staff they have I think Miami could be a powerhouse within a few years.

?? and i thought last yrs team had lots of talent :)

gutting a team is alot easier than replacing it with talent.. i wont make any powerhouse predictions just yet

Goldensilence
02-15-2008, 08:25 AM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10644110

Peerless Price, EJ Underwood, and Kevin Harrison cut from the bills.

Cowboys also trying to deceide on Franchising Flozell Adams.

The Pencil Neck
02-15-2008, 11:16 AM
I heard that the Cardinals have franchised Dansby.

Vinny
02-15-2008, 11:21 AM
wow, I'd have to see how much his position gets paid for the Franchise tag but I don't think he is worth franchise money. I don't think he is as good a player as say Lance Briggs, and I didn't think Briggs was worth his salary last year either.

alphajoker
02-15-2008, 11:26 AM

You heard correctly, just over $8 million. Wow!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d806b084e&template=without-video&confirm=true

HOU-TEX
02-15-2008, 11:47 AM
wow, I'd have to see how much his position gets paid for the Franchise tag but I don't think he is worth franchise money. I don't think he is as good a player as say Lance Briggs, and I didn't think Briggs was worth his salary last year either.

I agree. Plus, I'm not sure he's played a complete season yet.

HoustonFrog
02-15-2008, 01:29 PM
Falcons cut Crumpler, Leftwich and Gandy

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3247718

The Atlanta Falcons continued their franchise makeover in earnest on Friday, releasing tight eend Alge Crumpler, quarterback quarterback Byron Leftwich, offensive tackle Wayne Gandy and four other players.

Teh team also announced it had released cornerback Lewis Sanders, wide receiver Jamin Elliott, linebacker Marcus Wilkins and defensive tackle Rod Coleman.

"This is a difficult day for the entire organization," Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff said in a statement from the team. "A number of these players have contributed to this organization on and off the field at a high level and we greatly appreciate their efforts. These decisions weren't easy, but we felt they were necessary to build a team in the long-term best interest of the Falcons and its fans."

HOU-TEX
02-15-2008, 01:31 PM

WOW! Those are some pretty big cuts. :thisbig:

Second Honeymoon
02-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Gandy wouldn't be a bad add for depth but that is about it. He is getting pretty long in the tooth.

Too bad Dunn didn't get cut. It was a long shot but you never know nowadays. He would be a good stopgap in case Green goes down again or is not even retained.

I also think Julius Jones could be a guy we could get on the cheap. I think he just got in teh doghouse and never really got going in dallas. I wouldn't give him big money but I would give him a deal that is incentive laden and he would know he would at least get a fair chance to get the job based on our current talent level. He has some skills and doesnt have that much tread on his tires at all....
...plus you know it would piss off Cowboy fan if he blew up down here.

Lucky
02-15-2008, 01:40 PM
wow, I'd have to see how much his position gets paid for the Franchise tag but I don't think he is worth franchise money.
Since the cap went up over $100 million, the franchise tag has been used on non-franchise type players like Briggs, Jeff Backus, Charles Grant, Cory Redding, and Justin Smith. Why? Because NFL teams have so much cap room, they can afford to pay 2nd tier players top money for a season without the long term commitment.

The franchise tag was designed to be a double edged sword, player movement is restricted as is the cap flexibility of the team. That's no longer the case, and that's why teams can hand out the tag to good, but not great players. The cost of the franchise tag has yet to catch up to the rise in the salary cap.

Dallas_Texan
02-15-2008, 01:52 PM

Sorry I hadn't seen this earlier. I was in the middle of starting a thread on these guys, and stepped away for a minute. By the time I posted you already had this in here!

--So how bad is Wilkins? He played every game but 1, and had 2 tackles all season? That can't be right.

HoustonFrog
02-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Sorry I hadn't seen this earlier. I was in the middle of starting a thread on these guys, and stepped away for a minute. By the time I posted you already had this in here!

--So how bad is Wilkins? He played every game but 1, and had 2 tackles all season? That can't be right.

Its ok, steal my thunder :)

kastofsna
02-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Miami should take a go at Crumpler.

The Dude Abides
02-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Law is reportedly out in K.C. according to PFT

Dallas_Texan
02-15-2008, 04:06 PM

....................Huh:thinking: .........Maybe a good thing? I think he's like 33. Could be a good one year fix if we draft a CB in the third round, and let him learn from Ty Law, Dunta Robinson, and Fred Bennett for a year before starting him. Give the rookie some garbage-time play here and there. Not the ideal fix for the team, but I'd like it. If anyone is going to say that we have to get a 1st round CB.....see: Bennett, Fred.

bah007
02-15-2008, 04:21 PM
....................Huh:thinking: .........Maybe a good thing? I think he's like 33. Could be a good one year fix if we draft a CB in the third round, and let him learn from Ty Law, Dunta Robinson, and Fred Bennett for a year before starting him. Give the rookie some garbage-time play here and there. Not the ideal fix for the team, but I'd like it. If anyone is going to say that we have to get a 1st round CB.....see: Bennett, Fred.

You cant just draft a CB again in the 4th and expect the same results. If you scout well, then it can happen.

But the best bet to get a top CB would be in the 1st round.

Guys fall to the 4th round for a reason, and it usually isnt because teams think they will be NFL starters. Sometimes they are right and sometimes a kid proves them wrong. But the sooner if the draft that you address the position, the better chance you have of finding a gem.

Dallas_Texan
02-15-2008, 04:51 PM
You cant just draft a CB again in the 4th and expect the same results. If you scout well, then it can happen.

But the best bet to get a top CB would be in the 1st round.

Guys fall to the 4th round for a reason, and it usually isnt because teams think they will be NFL starters. Sometimes they are right and sometimes a kid proves them wrong. But the sooner if the draft that you address the position, the better chance you have of finding a gem.

True, but two key factor though.....I'm talking 3rd round, not fourth....and we've proven time and time again that we can scout extremely well. So far in just two years our scouts have helped us pick up JJ, Owen Daniels, Eric Winston, Charles Spencer, and Fred Bennett in the 3rd rounds or later. Our track record says that we CAN do well again, and most importantly, the 3rd round CB wouldn't be expected to play the first year, he would be behind Bennett and Ty Law in this scenario, with Dunta (possibly) back before the season is out. Those are three mentors that could bring out the best in a rookie.

bah007
02-15-2008, 05:03 PM
True, but two key factor though.....I'm talking 3rd round, not fourth....and we've proven time and time again that we can scout extremely well. So far in just two years our scouts have helped us pick up JJ, Owen Daniels, Eric Winston, Charles Spencer, and Fred Bennett in the 3rd rounds or later. Our track record says that we CAN do well again, and most importantly, the 3rd round CB wouldn't be expected to play the first year, he would be behind Bennett and Ty Law in this scenario, with Dunta (possibly) back before the season is out. Those are three mentors that could bring out the best in a rookie.

Its all good in theory as long as we snag the right kid (which the Texans have proven is possible).

I wouldnt expect Bennett to mentor anyone since he is just one year into the league, but a guy like Ty Law could teach them both a couple of tricks.

SF49erFaithful
02-15-2008, 07:30 PM
I didn't know that you 9'ers fans thought that Clements was a good signing. I thought he was way overpaid for what he brought to the defense last year.
He's a popular player amongst the fans, and for the most part everyone thinks he was worth the money. I don't think he was overpaid, because that's just how much premiere CBs cost, since so few ever hit the open market. We're still in good cap shape (about 26 mil under the cap right now).

CloakNNNdagger
02-16-2008, 09:48 AM
Ty Law has lost a step in coverage in the past couple of years. He's no longer the brute CB "enforcer" that he built his reputation on. However, he's by far no slouch. And what happens when a great CB shows some signs of "aging"???..............he can often find himself a very comfortable spot at FS, thus, productively extending his career. So as I see it, a reasonable deal for Law gets you a still way better than average CB, the versatility to potentially fill another need position (FS),.......... and, arguably, brings with him an "old school" locker room presence in the package of one heck of an experienced mentor. :idea:

Lucky
02-16-2008, 09:54 AM
I know there was some bitterness between Law and the Pats organization when he left. But with Samuels leaving for free agency, Law is an excellent stopgap while another corner is being groomed. I really expect Law to end up back in Foxboro, unless his former DB coach Eric Mangini makes an offer he can't refuse.

Wolf
02-17-2008, 10:23 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3248064

chief cuts

Goldensilence
02-17-2008, 10:39 AM
If they cut Kendrell Bell....I'd love him over there. I remember him being pretty good during his tenure in Pitt. I know he didn't do much in KC this year but i remember him being pretty fiery and bring some more intensity to the D.

Vinny
02-17-2008, 10:56 AM

WOW! Those are some pretty big cuts. :thisbig:
The Falcons don't like their aggregate team character and are imploding the team with locker room chemotherapy.

mexican_texan
02-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Miami should take a go at Crumpler.
I was thinking the same thing. There's no way he doesn't get signed by Miami.

mexican_texan
02-17-2008, 06:36 PM
If they cut Kendrell Bell....I'd love him over there. I remember him being pretty good during his tenure in Pitt. I know he didn't do much in KC this year but i remember him being pretty fiery and bring some more intensity to the D.
He was good in Pittsburgh, not too good in his time with the Chiefs. No better than Greenwood would be for us.

mexican_texan
02-17-2008, 06:37 PM
speaking of concussions, Thomas has his own share of 'em. perhaps he can be some sort of player-coach elsewhere, but can't see him making a real impact.
He should've retired two years ago. I don't see how he's going to live a productive life after football anymore.

TK_Gamer
02-18-2008, 08:31 AM
He was good in Pittsburgh, not too good in his time with the Chiefs. No better than Greenwood would be for us.

Living in KC, I can tell you Bell has lost whatever fire he had, he is often last to the ball. as far as Ty law he has lost at least a couple steps and when he does get aggressive he is prone to over commit and give up a play rather than shut it down. I would much rather see Randall Gay in a Texan's uniform. then draft a young CB in the later rounds along with a safety. I think RB or LT should be our targets for the 1st round, and if none are available, look for a trade down. I also heard Ryan Lilja was released. He would be some depth for us at guard. and could probably cover Tackle in a pinch. Anyone heard anything about him lately?

Dallas_Texan
02-18-2008, 09:39 AM
Its all good in theory as long as we snag the right kid (which the Texans have proven is possible).

I wouldnt expect Bennett to mentor anyone since he is just one year into the league, but a guy like Ty Law could teach them both a couple of tricks.

True, but from what I've heard, he has a great work ethic, and can show a rookie how to be a "rookie". Some rookies come in and slack off, but Demeco and Bennett are the latest rookies that came in and can show how to make a difference. Law and DRob would be the mentors, but Bennett could lead by example also. I really like that guy on our team, and I think he'll be here a long time to come as he develops into a force at CB.

bah007
02-18-2008, 09:48 AM
True, but from what I've heard, he has a great work ethic, and can show a rookie how to be a "rookie". Some rookies come in and slack off, but Demeco and Bennett are the latest rookies that came in and can show how to make a difference. Law and DRob would be the mentors, but Bennett could lead by example also. I really like that guy on our team, and I think he'll be here a long time to come as he develops into a force at CB.

Oh I agree with all that. Definitely.

Ryans was kinda thrown into that leadership role, being the MLB, and he has handled it perfectly.

With Bennett, it would be great if he could step up & mentor a new kid coming in, but I wouldnt be too upset if he cant teach the kid the same stuff that Law or Dunta can.

TexansSeminole
02-18-2008, 12:38 PM
If the Chiefs cut Samie Parker I would take a go at him for low money.

As far as Ty Law, I think it would be a good fit for a one year deal. Others were talking about the possibility of him and Dunta mentoring a 3rd or 4th round rookie cornerback. I think that is a good idea, but imagine if it were a 1st round corner. You'd have a guy who could play nickel or maybe even get starter time while D-Rob is out, and then you'd have a talented nickel corner/ starter after Ty Law leaves.

ChampionTexan
02-18-2008, 12:42 PM
I spent quite a bit of time watching the Chiefs this year, and I just don't think Law has enough left to even bring in as a Nickel/Dime on-field coach. As far as the mentoring thing is concerned, we have Dunta, and we have Ray Rhodes - I don't favor wasting a roster spot and cap space (even the veteran minimum) on TL.

bah007
02-18-2008, 01:00 PM
I spent quite a bit of time watching the Chiefs this year, and I just don't think Law has enough left to even bring in as a Nickel/Dime on-field coach. As far as the mentoring thing is concerned, we have Dunta, and we have Ray Rhodes - I don't favor wasting a roster spot and cap space (even the veteran minimum) on TL.

Well Dunta will only be able to tell them stuff, its going to be a while before he can show them.

Dallas_Texan
02-18-2008, 03:13 PM

So...you would take Faggins, Fletcher, and Von Hutchins over Ty Law at league min?

ChampionTexan
02-18-2008, 03:41 PM
I am hoping we're able to bring Hutchins back (So yes, I would take him over Law). As far as the other two guys, I don't view him as an obvious upgrade, and would prefer to see the need addressed via the draft or other FA additions.

bah007
02-18-2008, 03:43 PM
I am hoping we're able to bring Hutchins back (So yes, I would take him over Law). As far as the other two guys, I don't view him as an obvious upgrade, and would prefer to see the need addressed via the draft or other FA additions.

You dont think Ty Law would be an obvious upgrade over Faggins?

Be careful who you say that to on this board.

Dallas_Texan
02-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Muhsin Muhammad was the latest to get cut. I'm assuming he could be had at a decent price considering his numbers have been dropping. I'm sure though, if he had a decent QB throwing to him, he could be a great WR2/3 if Andre Davis decides to go elsewhere. (I really hope he doesn't, I'd MUCH rather have AD). I'm just saying!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3252098

bah007
02-18-2008, 04:57 PM
At this point in his career, Muhammad is pretty much the same player as Walter.

ArlingtonTexan
02-18-2008, 08:28 PM
At this point in his career, Muhammad is pretty much the same player as Walter.

At this point in his career, Moose is probably not the WR Kevin Walter is. Please see Eric Moulds.

bah007
02-19-2008, 08:45 AM
At this point in his career, Moose is probably not the WR Kevin Walter is. Please see Eric Moulds.

I didnt mean that they had the same talent.

I meant that he now plays the same game as Walter. Short routes, over the middle.

We already have Walter & Daniels, so we dont need another guy like that.

Errant Hothy
02-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Cardinals | Team releases Ross
Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:49:36 -0800

The Arizona Cardinals announced Thursday, Feb. 21, that the team released OT Oliver Ross.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cardinals | Team releases Holt
Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:48:51 -0800

The Arizona Cardinals announced Thursday, Feb. 21, that the team released FS Terrence Holt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cardinals | Team releases Cooper
Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:48:00 -0800

The Arizona Cardinals announced Thursday, Feb. 21, that the team released DL Chris Cooper.

per:
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

drewmar74
02-23-2008, 10:50 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers have cut TE Jerame Tuman, LB Clint Kriewaldt, and CB/KR Allen Rossum.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/transactions?team=PIT

SF49erFaithful
02-23-2008, 09:37 PM
The 49ers cut LB Derek Smith a few days ago.

Errant Hothy
02-27-2008, 02:02 PM

Offical:
www.kffl.com/nfl/hotw

Chiefs | Team releases J. Dunn
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:18:21 -0800

Adam Teicher, of The Kansas City Star, reports the Kansas City Chiefs released TE Jason Dunn Wednesday, Feb. 27.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chiefs | Team releases Reed
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:17:30 -0800

Adam Teicher, of The Kansas City Star, reports the Kansas City Chiefs released DL James Reed Wednesday, Feb. 27.

Chiefs | Team releases K. Bell
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:16:10 -0800

Adam Teicher, of The Kansas City Star, reports the Kansas City Chiefs released LB Kendrell Bell Wednesday, Feb. 27.

Chiefs | Team releases Law
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:15:05 -0800

Adam Teicher, of The Kansas City Star, reports the Kansas City Chiefs released CB Ty Law Wednesday, Feb. 27.

Errant Hothy
02-27-2008, 02:07 PM
ESPNews is reporting that Eugine Wilson, S, of the Pats will become a free agent.

And in non-related news, I've read on a couple of other boards that Carr got cut today as well.

TEXANS84
02-27-2008, 02:14 PM
And in non-related news, I've read on a couple of other boards that Carr got cut today as well.

Yup, bye bye Carr-

Also Tuesday, the Panthers released quarterback David Carr, who disappointed in his first season as a backup to Jake Delhomme.

Carr was let go a year after he signed a two-year, $6 million deal with the Panthers following a five-year stint as a starter in Houston. Carr struggled so badly when he took over for the injured Delhomme last season that he was eventually demoted to third-string.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3267399

Goldensilence
02-27-2008, 02:35 PM
per NFL.com Kennison released too.

Interesting KC has jettisoned their top receiver. Might make a move fora mid tier guy in FA but i'm suddenly stuck with the idea Bowe is now the centerpiece of what looks like a depleted corps. Maybe They'll want to add a Malcom Kelly or Hardy. Just saying.

Didn't we make move for Reed a year or two ago?

Dallas_Texan
02-27-2008, 02:42 PM
per NFL.com Kennison released too.

Interesting KC has jettisoned their top receiver. Might make a move fora mid tier guy in FA but i'm suddenly stuck with the idea Bowe is now the centerpiece of what looks like a depleted corps. Maybe They'll want to add a Malcom Kelly or Hardy. Just saying.

Didn't we make move for Reed a year or two ago?

Maybe they're going to offer Andre Davis a large deal to play alongside Bowe since we won't? :gun:

Goldensilence
02-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Looks like McCareins could go to the coach who traded for him in KC.

I think I have heard Dyson mentioned around here. Released today as well.

I'd pass on Clarke for sure.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10669489

bah007
02-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Maybe they're going to offer Andre Davis a large deal to play alongside Bowe since we won't? :gun:

Or Bernard Berrian?

Specnatz
02-27-2008, 03:05 PM
The Ravens Released running back Mike Anderson.

Goldensilence
02-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Brandon Lloyd cut.

I could've told Dan Synder that was a bad trade from the get go.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7844148/Redskins-release-wide-receiver-Lloyd

drewmar74
02-27-2008, 03:10 PM
The Ravens Released running back Mike Anderson.

Hey, he knows the ZBS and ran pretty well in it during his stay in Denver.

Worth a sniff, maybe?

Quick, let me call Rick Smith and put a bug in his ear....

Then again, I don't think you can make an argument that he's that much of an upgrade over what we have now.

The Pencil Neck
02-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Hey, he knows the ZBS and ran pretty well in it during his stay in Denver.

Worth a sniff, maybe?

Quick, let me call Rick Smith and put a bug in his ear....

Then again, I don't think you can make an argument that he's that much of an upgrade over what we have now.

AND he plays FB as well as TB.

bah007
02-27-2008, 05:28 PM
A few more cuts today:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3267801

Colts cut DT Anthony McFarland & LB Rob Morris.

Titans cut WR David Givens.

Bucs cut DEs Kevin Carter & Greg Spires.

Errant Hothy
02-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Bills | Team releases Butler
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:50:09 -0800

Mark Gaughan, of The Buffalo News, reports the Buffalo Bills released CB Jerametrius Butler Wednesday, Feb. 27.

Bills | Team releases Merz
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:49:21 -0800

Mark Gaughan, of The Buffalo News, reports the Buffalo Bills released OL Aaron Merz Wednesday, Feb. 27.

Bills | Team releases Wire
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:49:02 -0800

Mark Gaughan, of The Buffalo News, reports the Buffalo Bills released LB Coy Wire Wednesday, Feb. 27.

Bills | Team releases A. Thomas
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:39:53 -0800

ESPNews reports the Buffalo Bills released RB Anthony Thomas Wednesday, Feb. 27.

Eagles | Kearse released
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 08:30:35 -0800

The Philadelphia Eagles have announced they have released DE Jevon Kearse.

All per www.kffl.com/nfl/hotw

TheRealJoker
02-28-2008, 12:39 PM
A few more cuts today:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3267801

Colts cut DT Anthony McFarland & LB Rob Morris.

Titans cut WR David Givens.

Bucs cut DEs Kevin Carter & Greg Spires.

Greg Spires would be a good value FA pickup for RDE.

Errant Hothy
02-28-2008, 01:29 PM
More:

Titans | Troupe likely to become free agent
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:11:25 -0800

Adam Caplan, of Scout.com, reports the Tennessee Titans are likely to pass on re-signing TE Ben Troupe. Troupe is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent Friday, Feb. 29.

Bengals | Team will not tender T. Perry
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:18:13 -0800

The Cincinnati Bengals will not send a tender offer to WR Tab Perry. Perry will be eligible to negotiate with any NFL team starting Friday, Feb. 29.

Bengals | Team will not tender Kieft
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:17:26 -0800

The Cincinnati Bengals will not send a tender offer to OT Adam Kieft. Kieft will be eligible to negotiate with any NFL team starting Friday, Feb. 29.

per www.kffl.com/nfl/hotw

Second Honeymoon
02-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Wow, the Titans are not resigning Troupe? Man, Bud is cheaper than I ever thought. He was one of their few guys that could make plays in the passing game and was still a good run blocker. Troupe will have NO problem finding work. The Titans are a joke.

Errant Hothy
02-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Wow, the Titans are not resigning Troupe? Man, Bud is cheaper than I ever thought. He was one of their few guys that could make plays in the passing game and was still a good run blocker. Troupe will have NO problem finding work. The Titans are a joke.

Not only are they not re-signing Troupe they are keeping Scaife. All in the name of pleasing VY I quess? Any doubt that they draft Sweed?

They are letting Givens walk as well.
Titans | Givens released
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 15:40:39 -0800

Pete Prisco, of CBSSports.com, reports the Tennessee Titans released WR David Givens Wednesday, Feb. 27.

BigBull17
02-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Id be more than happy with Troupe. Hes killed us over the years. He would be great.

austintexanite
02-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Vilma taking a physical in Detroit.

Errant Hothy
02-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Vilma taking a physical in Detroit.

Source?

infantrycak
02-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Id be more than happy with Troupe. Hes killed us over the years. He would be great.

He had one good game as a rookie against the Texans--8 rec. for 67 yards. Since then he has played in three other games for a combined 5 rec. 44 yds.

Specnatz
02-28-2008, 02:06 PM
He had one good game as a rookie against the Texans--8 rec. for 67 yards. Since then he has played in three other games for a combined 5 rec. 44 yds.

It is not like he has had Tom Brady throwing to him though.

Lucky
02-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Not only are they not re-signing Troupe they are keeping Scaife. All in the name of pleasing VY I quess? Any doubt that they draft Sweed?
This could set them up to draft Jeremichael Finley.

Texan_Bill
02-28-2008, 02:08 PM

Good thing we traded that pick away to move up in the draft - which netted us Jason Babin.... :rolleyes:

Stroll down the 2004 draft memory lane:

Houston
1 (10)-Dunta Robinson, CB S. Carolina
1 (27)-Jason Babin, DE W. Michigan
4 (122)-Glenn Earl, S Notre Dame
6 (170)-Vontez Duff, CB Notre Dame
6 (175)-Jammal Lord, S Nebraska
6 (200)-Charlie Anderson, OLB Miss.
7 (210)-Raheem Orr, DE Rutgers
7 (211)-Sloan Thomas, WR Texas
7 (248)-B.J. Symons, QB Texas Tech

infantrycak
02-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Good thing we traded that pick away to move up in the draft - which netted us Jason Babin.... :rolleyes:

Great example of a trade that worked out for neither team or that both teams squandered.

Errant Hothy
02-28-2008, 02:56 PM
per www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Chargers | Team releases Olivea
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:47:03 -0800

Kevin Acee, of The San Diego Union-Tribune, reports the San Diego Chargers released OT Shane Olivea Thursday, Feb. 28.

Chargers | Team releases McCree
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:46:37 -0800

Kevin Acee, of The San Diego Union-Tribune, reports the San Diego Chargers released FS Marlon McCree Thursday, Feb. 28.

Chargers | Team releases Neal
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:45:03 -0800

Kevin Acee, of The San Diego Union-Tribune, reports the San Diego Chargers released FB Lorenzo Neal Thursday, Feb. 28.

Cowboys | Team releases Hoyte
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:32:40 -0800

The Dallas Cowboys announced Thursday, Feb. 28, that the team released FB Oliver Hoyte.

McCree would look good in a Texans jersey.

Does Olivea have anything left?

drewmar74
02-28-2008, 03:03 PM

Can we just go ahead and sign McCree and Neal? At least McCree?

Goldensilence
02-28-2008, 03:13 PM

Would love to have McCree back in a Texnas Uni if Demps isn't willing to re-sign.

You're kidding on on Olivea right? He was Drafted in 2004 and evidently got in Norv's Dog House after pretty mcuh starting most of the past 2 years 31 of 32 games. Kid is young and versatile can play T or G. 6'4" at 312 listed.

In San Diego he played RT however. Landing him would be an outright steal IMO.

http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/shane-olivea.htm

Errant Hothy
02-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Would love to have McCree back in a Texnas Uni if Demps isn't willing to re-sign.

You're kidding on on Olivea right? He was Drafted in 2004 and evidently got in Norv's Dog House after pretty mcuh starting most of the past 2 years 31 of 32 games. Kid is young and versatile can play T or G. 6'4" at 312 listed.

In San Diego he played RT however. Landing him would be an outright steal IMO.

That's what I thought, I was just surprised to see his name on the list of those who have been cut.

Sign him to play RG next to T-Rex?

El Tejano
02-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Even Sean Salisbury got cut from ESPN

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Goldensilence
02-28-2008, 03:32 PM
That's what I thought, I was just surprised to see his name on the list of those who have been cut.

Sign him to play RG next to T-Rex?

I was pretty suprised to see him cut myself!

That's more or less what i was thinking. I like Winston but what if he went down? I'm not sure If Jordan Black will be around. Frye and Butler aren't proven. Could give us a real solid right side to run behind.

HoustonFrog
02-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Can we just go ahead and sign McCree and Neal? At least McCree?

Can I at least make the comment that he never should have been in a position to be resigned?:)

Errant Hothy
02-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Ravens | Team releases Flynn
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:55:39 -0800

Baltimore Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome announced Thursday, Feb. 28, that the team released C Mike Flynn.

Same source as always.

TEXANS84
02-28-2008, 04:21 PM
Wow, Lorenzo Neal...didn't see that one coming.

drewmar74
02-28-2008, 04:32 PM
Can I at least make the comment that he never should have been in a position to be resigned?:)

Yes. You can.

And I'll second.

HoustonFrog
02-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Kearse is cut..might have missed it in here

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3268857

After four mostly disappointing and injury-plagued seasons where he only showed glimpses of his feared pass rushing ability, the Eagles released defensive end Jevon Kearse on Thursday.

Errant Hothy
02-28-2008, 04:43 PM
Rams | Team releases Frerotte
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 14:33:18 -0800

ESPNews reports the St. Louis Rams released QB Gus Frerotte Thursday, Feb. 28.

Rams | Team releases Bruce
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 14:32:27 -0800

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports the St. Louis Rams cut WR Isaac Bruce Thursday, Feb. 28.

Same source as always.

Hutch13
02-28-2008, 05:02 PM
http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet.com/view_content_0p.asp?ID=62867

Javon Walker cut.

Errant Hothy
02-28-2008, 05:07 PM

Cowboys | Team does not tender Thompson
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 14:49:10 -0800

Todd Archer, of The Dallas Morning News, reports the Dallas Cowboys did not tender a contract to RB Tyson Thompson. Thompson is now an eligible free agent.

Goldensilence
02-28-2008, 05:45 PM
http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet.com/view_content_0p.asp?ID=62867

Javon Walker cut.

Philly would be better spent drafting Hardy then Walker. He's been Malcontent since what year two or three in GB? It'd be a less talented TO situation.

I saw Davis' contract 8 million upfront and 16 Million overall. I wonder how that is going to work on the cap. As of now that looks like a lot for a #3 and KR....

Wolf
02-29-2008, 11:31 AM
isaac bruce cut by rams

Errant Hothy
02-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Raiders | Team releases Sims
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 11:52:16 -0800

Steve Corkran, of the Contra Costa Times, reports the Oakland Raiders released OT Barry Sims Friday, Feb. 29.

badboy
02-29-2008, 02:33 PM
per www.kffl.copm/hotw/nflwill not pull up

Errant Hothy
02-29-2008, 02:34 PM
will not pull up

sorry, typo...drop the p from .com

Errant Hothy
02-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Broncos | Team releases Walker
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 13:07:20 -0800

ESPNews reports the Denver Broncos released WR Javon Walker Friday, Feb. 29.

Errant Hothy
03-07-2008, 03:50 PM
A couple more DBs got cut today.

The Titans on Friday released cornerback Kelly Herndon.

Herndon played in just 3 games for the Titans last season after being signed from Seattle, where he played the prior two seasons. Herndon was scheduled to make $1.4 million in the second year of a 3-year contract he signed last June.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080307/SPORTS01/80307107/-1/RSS05

The Panthers have released cornerback Patrick Dendy.

Dendy played in seven games last season after the team signed him at midseason.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2008/03/panthers-releas.html

TexansSeminole
03-07-2008, 03:56 PM
A couple more DBs got cut today.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080307/SPORTS01/80307107/-1/RSS05

Herndon is worth looking at for cheap.