PDA

View Full Version : Andre Davis - Target for the Jags (JagNation.com)

Texans34Life
02-11-2008, 12:29 PM
http://jac.scout.com/2/728181.html

By Charlie Bernstein
Editor-in-Chief, JagNation.com
Date: Feb 10, 2008

If the Jaguars intend to upgrade their wide receiving corps with some more “second tier” type of talent, a player that’s currently available is one that the Jaguars and their fans saw twice last season and made an impact. That receiver is of course the Houston Texans free agent, Andre Davis.

I don't have a subscription w/ them and this is all they would give us.

Wolf
02-11-2008, 12:32 PM
if they signed him they wouldn't worry about him running 2 KO's back on them in one game:fans:

I think Smith will have something to say about that unless the price goes through the roof

badboy
02-11-2008, 12:34 PM
No one will be surprised that Davis will draw interest. As an unrestricted FA, SMith may not get a chance to match.

Lucky
02-11-2008, 12:40 PM
I don't have a subscription w/ them and this is all they would give us.
Basically, he says that Davis is attractive for the Jags because he a) is a deep threat, b) can return kicks, & c) is "affordable". If the Jags were to sign Davis, Dennis Northcutt & Matt Jones would become expendable.

Stealing Davis from a division rival would be a real coup for the Jags. It wouldn't surprise me if the Titans made a run a Davis, as well. I'm wondering just how "affordable" Davis will be?

aj.
02-11-2008, 01:00 PM
There's two ways this can hurt the Texans. One is that he is signed by a Division opponent. Two is if Davis' value is virtually inflated by leaks from rival suitors, causing the Texans to spend even more to keep him. If I was Fisher or DelRio, I'd play a litte game of poker with the Texans to see if they blink at an 'offer-in-principle' or some other non-binding tactic. Davis' agent would be all over anything that gets him and his client more money. Hopefully Smith and Kubiak keep their cool and stay within the range that I'm sure they've already discussed with Davis.

badboy
02-11-2008, 01:08 PM
There's two ways this can hurt the Texans. One is that he is signed by a Division opponent. Two is if Davis' value is virtually inflated by leaks from rival suitors, causing the Texans to spend even more to keep him. If I was Fisher or DelRio, I'd play a litte game of poker with the Texans to see if they blink at an 'offer-in-principle' or some other non-binding tactic. Davis' agent would be all over anything that gets him and his client more money. Hopefully Smith and Kubiak keep their cool and stay within the range that I'm sure they've already discussed with Davis.Exactly. I just don't see Smith panic and offer too much. AJ, Walters, JJ and TE Daniels offer a stable of good guys. Davis would be a great addition but at the right price. Hopefully, loyalty will figure in to his decision.

TexansSeminole
02-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Andre Davis had his best year in the league here last year, I think he will stay here and see if he can fit himself into a starting #2 WR. He obviously fits our system, and he found himself a spot on special teams. Unless he gets a seriously upgraded offer from what the Texans offer him, I doubt he moves.

Second Honeymoon
02-11-2008, 01:16 PM
Of course the Jags are interested in Davis. The Jags just need to start forming a line for potential suitors because its gonna be pretty thick.

I will say that if the Jags and Titans become involved in the bidding, I wouldn't mind the Texans trying to drive the bidding up then dropping out. He had a great year but if he gets top money (which is possible due to his dual threat on ST and WR) then I would hope the Texans would abstain and spend their money with more value elsewhere, all after driving up the bidding on Andre Davis so TN and JVille have less $$ to play with.

PapaL
02-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Basically, he says that Davis is attractive for the Jags because he a) is a deep threat, b) can return kicks, & c) is "affordable". If the Jags were to sign Davis, Dennis Northcutt & Matt Jones would become expendable.

Stealing Davis from a division rival would be a real coup for the Jags. It wouldn't surprise me if the Titans made a run a Davis, as well. I'm wondering just how "affordable" Davis will be?

All they would need is Kevin Johnson and they would have the Browns v.2 receiving corp.

nero THE zero
02-11-2008, 01:17 PM
As well as AD played for us and as much as I'd love to have him back he's nothing exceptional and not worth a lengthy or hefty contract. Given that we have Jacoby Jones, who is a similar type player, I'd hope that we don't let our divisional opponents goad us into overpaying for him. I know he is one of our top priorities to re-sign but let's hope that doesn't mean we value what he brings to the table more than it's worth.

PapaL
02-11-2008, 01:23 PM
One more thing I would like to add; I like JJ but until he can do it in the regular season the guy is all potential. Davis has been all product for us this year. For a reasonable price he should be back. He should be around until JJ can capitolize on his potential.

WesmanTexanfan
02-11-2008, 01:24 PM
I loved what he did and hope that we sign him back, but I mean we were talking about taking haynesworth from the titans, this stuff happens. Our coaches/Gm are good enough to replace guys and find some talent, so ill be sad if he leaves, but he knows what hes leaving behind in the Texans and i dont think he'll do that.....

Is today the first day we can talk to players????

Second Honeymoon
02-11-2008, 01:27 PM
As well as AD played for us and as much as I'd love to have him back he's nothing exceptional and not worth a lengthy or hefty contract. Given that we have Jacoby Jones, who is a similar type player, I'd hope that we don't let our divisional opponents goad us into overpaying for him. I know he is one of our top priorities to re-sign but let's hope that doesn't mean we value what he brings to the table more than it's worth.

/agree

Maddict5
02-11-2008, 02:06 PM
One more thing I would like to add; I like JJ but until he can do it in the regular season the guy is all potential. Davis has been all product for us this year. For a reasonable price he should be back. He should be around until JJ can capitolize on his potential.

he did have a 73? yd return v indy

TexansSeminole
02-11-2008, 02:15 PM
he did have a 73? yd return v indy

But that doesn't mean he can play WR.

Davis is a playmaking WR, his return skills are just a bonus.

We need Davis to play WR for us, and I agree with PapaL Jones needs to show us he can be a playmaking WR before we can put him into that starting role.

About Davis, we need to keep this guy from going to a rival. Without Davis our WR corps isn't really a strength on the team anymore.

Lucky
02-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Davis is a playmaking WR, his return skills are just a bonus.
No, his value on the Texans is as a kick returner and an insurance policy. In the 9 games that Andre Johnson started, Davis caught 10 passes for 142 yards. I'm pretty sure Jacoby Jones could take up that slack.

I think good returners have value. And if they can make plays at WR, that's just a bonus. But if there's a team out there (like the Jags) who want Davis as their #2 WR, they will offer more money than the Texans will. One thing to remember is that the Texans found Davis as a bargain basement free agent. It's certainly possible the Texans can find another one.

TexansSeminole
02-11-2008, 02:35 PM
No, his value on the Texans is as a kick returner and an insurance policy. In the 9 games that Andre Johnson started, Davis caught 10 passes for 142 yards. I'm pretty sure Jacoby Jones could take up that slack.

Take up the 142 receiving yards? Jacoby had something like 15 catches this year for like 150 yards. He needs to show me alot more before I think he can catch 10 passes for 142 yards in a game. I think Jacoby can pick up the slack that AD leaves on special teams. He is going to have to do alot more work to pick up that slack on offense at WR.

badboy
02-11-2008, 02:36 PM

I think good returners have value. And if they can make plays at WR, that's just a bonus. But if there's a team out there (like the Jags) who want Davis as their #2 WR, they will offer more money than the Texans will. One thing to remember is that the Texans found Davis as a bargain basement free agent. It's certainly possible the Texans can find another one.It is also possible that last season was the exception. Hate to sign for lotsa bucks and 2007 was the high point of his career. It will be a gamble either way.

WesmanTexanfan
02-11-2008, 02:36 PM
I loved what he did and hope that we sign him back, but I mean we were talking about taking haynesworth from the titans, this stuff happens. Our coaches/Gm are good enough to replace guys and find some talent, so ill be sad if he leaves, but he knows what hes leaving behind in the Texans and i dont think he'll do that.....

Is today the first day we can talk to players????

bump

Polo
02-11-2008, 02:44 PM
I think Davis' value lies in what he brings to the table as a whole.

He's a threat at kick returns, and he is a threat on deep balls.

Jacksonville would be crazy to sign him as their #2 because that's not his game. What happens if your number 1 goes down ? Is he capable of being THE guy ?

On the Texans it works because we have a lot of other guys that stepped up when AJ went out. We have other guys that can return kicks. We have other guys that can catch ball over the middle. We have other WR's that can do things in the backfield. We have other guys who can body up smaller defensive backs.

Davis is limited in what he can do as a reciever.

Going to another team where more of a spotlight will be on him won't be good IMHO.

First of all, he's limited as a reciever. He's a deep ball guy and really not much else. I don't see him as the type of guy that can run every route and do the different things you'd want a starting wideout to do. Kevin Walter is a much more complete WR...Much more....

He may not have his speed and quickness, but he has him beat every place else.

I like Andre a lot and I think he'll come back, but if he decides to leave I wouldn't cry two tears in a bucket. Andre is a very, very nice supplement to a team that alreay has talent at the reciever position. If J-ville or the inbreds want him as their #1 or #2 I'd be inclined to let him walk just for sabotage purposes.

nero THE zero
02-11-2008, 02:46 PM
bump

The first day we can talk to our players. Sometime toward the end of Feb (29th?) FA begin and players are free to talk to other teams. This period gives teams a chance to re-sign their own FA before other teams get involved in the process.

edit --

Here are some dates to remember:
February 11 - Waiver process begins

February 20-26 - NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, Indiana

February 21 - Deadline for teams to designate Franchise and Transition Players

February 28 - Deadline for submission of Qualifying Offers by teams to their Restricted Free Agents whose contracts have expired and to whom they desire to retain a Right of First Refulsal/Compensation

February 28 - Deadline for teams to submit offer of minimum salary to retain exclusive negotiating righs to their players with fewer than three seasons of free agency credit whose contracts have expired

February 29 - Start of Free Agency and Trading period

April 25 - Deadline for teams to exercise Right of First Refusal to Restricted Free Agents

April 18 - Deadline for signing of Offer Sheets by Restricted Free Agents

April 25 - Deadline for old team to exercise Right of First Refusal to Restricted Free Agents

April 26-27 - NFL Draft in New York City

June 1 - Deadline for old team to send tender offer to its unsigned Restricted Free Agents or to extend Qualifying offer, whichever is greater, in order to retain rights

June 1 - Deadline for old team to send tender offer to its unsigned Restricted Free Agents to retain rights if player is not signed by another team by July 22

PHAROAH
02-11-2008, 03:19 PM
if they signed him they wouldn't worry about him running 2 KO's back on them in one game:fans:

I think Smith will have something to say about that unless the price goes through the roofI hope we don't overpay for this guy when we probably can draft a guy in 4th or 5th round to fill his role.

PapaL
02-11-2008, 03:43 PM
With all this talk about great KR and questionable WR skills I think we're talking about J.Mathis. You remember - Our often injured ProBowl KR.

Polo
02-11-2008, 03:47 PM
I think AD is a little more than a little better WR than JM...

I think JM is a little more than a little better KR than AD...

TexansSeminole
02-11-2008, 03:50 PM
I hope we don't overpay for this guy when we probably can draft a guy in 4th or 5th round to fill his role.

Says who? Jacoby was a 3rd rounder and he obviously couldn't fill that role.

Lucky
02-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Actually, Jones had won the #3 WR role over Davis in training camp and preseason. Davis was a pleasant surprise, but the plan all along was for Jones to be the #3 WR, and eventually the #2 WR. The injury in Week 3 vs. the Colts was a real setback for Jacoby.

Goldensilence
02-11-2008, 03:58 PM

Jacoby seperated his shoulder this year as well and seemed to do better in the second half of the season. Jones has all the tools just will take some time to develop.

I don't mind AD at a decent price and I saw on Football futures a rumor that he's close to re-signing for what that's worth.

AnthonyE
02-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Jacoby seperated his shoulder this year as well and seemed to do better in the second half of the season. Jones has all the tools just will take some time to develop.

I don't mind AD at a decent price and I saw on Football futures a rumor that he's close to re-signing for what that's worth.

Yeah, I saw that too. Rick Smith said that they were really close to getting a deal done with AD and his agent.

V3rm0nt3r
02-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Personally i like AD more than JM.

obviously because he's less injury prone but also because he did exceed my expectations and did haul some in during JJ and AJ's absence. One of those pleasant suprises that seem few and far between when talking about Texans FA aquisitions.:)