PDA

View Full Version : chron video:anna megan with Rick Smith on 2007 and 2008

Wolf
01-29-2008, 03:45 PM
If Texans re-sign Davis, would you dump Mathis?

McClain and I went to general manager Rick Smith's office at Reliant Stadium to interview him about the season and the offseason. He had some opinions and ideas I found quite interesting. Our videographer, Adam Ariganello, has divided the interview into two parts -- one looking back and one looking ahead.

http://blogs.chron.com/fanzone/2008/01/if_texans_resign_davis_would_y.html

Wolf
01-29-2008, 03:59 PM
sounds like we really want to keep andre davis

open on trying to get a #2 again,but if it were to happen ,could be draft day or maybe not

Double Barrel
01-29-2008, 04:08 PM
yay, more bubblegum reporting from "The General" and his sidekick.

Is McClain so cool that he needs to wear shades inside?

And c'mon, John, saying we were two plays from having an undefeated home record goes both ways (as he is always quick to point out on his radio shows). We could also say we were just a couple of plays from being .500 at home, too. It all comes down to playing 60 minutes of good football, not 57 or 58.

I apologize for the harshness of my post. I'm just tired of shallow reporting, especially this week of the Super Bowl. They get access that is elite, but then do very little with the chance. Heck, just pop into the forums for some serious football discussion before chatting with the Texans GM. JMO!

Wolf
01-29-2008, 04:10 PM

And c'mon, John, saying we were two plays from having an undefeated home record goes both ways (as he is always quick to point out on his radio shows). We could also say we were just a couple of plays from being .500 at home, too. It all comes down to playing 60 minutes of good football, not 57 or 58.

I apologize for the harshness of my post. I'm just tired of shallow reporting, especially this week of the Super Bowl. They get access that is elite, but then do very little with the chance. Heck, just pop into the forums for some serious football discussion before chatting with the Texans GM. JMO!

very true DB, very true

V3rm0nt3r
01-29-2008, 04:16 PM
It's a good point and Mathis has been injured the last 2 years.

but, as i remember, Mathis' IR placement this year was to make roster room (please correct me if I am wrong).

Mathis is exciteing to watch but Davis and Jones are both better recievers so release him and give Davis his salary.

Goldensilence
01-29-2008, 04:48 PM

Agreed.

I haven't gotten to see a RS interview. Was impressed with the man but the interview had the possibility of being way better. I'm willing to bet half the people on this board would've been better.

Far as who needs to be retained.

Davis is a no brainer.
Demps would be a good sign long as he doesn't ask too much. I really thought he made a solid impact on the mentality of the secondary when he got into the starting lineup.
Clark is nice to have, as well as Hutchins both provide nice depth.
Dayne is is a solid backup but has to be used right.... unless we're looking in the draft or looking for someone faster in FA...resign him.

Far as Mathis goes. Tender him a one year deal that doesn't cost much with incentive upside. I do love the idea of ok do we squib kick it, kick to Davis or Mathis?!

tulexan
01-30-2008, 03:00 PM
John needs to go on a diet. The guy must weigh 500 pounds.

WesmanTexanfan
01-30-2008, 04:53 PM
JOHN MCLAIN RULES!!!!

dont care for anna meagan much though, shes alright, at least shes not meagan manfull or whatever her name is.....

Mike F.
01-30-2008, 05:30 PM
Who is she? She looks and sounds like a high school intern. How can anyone take either one of these people serious?

IlliniJen
01-30-2008, 11:49 PM
Who is she? She looks and sounds like a high school intern. How can anyone take either one of these people serious?

Having zero competition in a one-paper town will make you lazy and complacent. McClain hasn't been relevant for years now. He just keeps getting worse and worse, and his infatuation with Anna Megan is just embarassing. Hire young reporters with promise and talent, not just t*ts.

WesmanTexanfan
01-30-2008, 11:51 PM
Having zero competition in a one-paper town will make you lazy and complacent. McClain hasn't been relevant for years now. He just keeps getting worse and worse, and his infatuation with Anna Megan is just embarassing. Hire young reporters with promise and talent, not just t*ts.

He is a Hall of Fame writter, thats gotta count for somthing.

but ya, lazy is a good word for it....

Txn_in_Oki
01-30-2008, 11:58 PM
Maybe this is 12 months in Iraq talking but Anna-Megan can talk about how gnomes farm for beets in the winter and she would have my undivided attention.

:thisbig:

ObsiWan
01-31-2008, 12:35 AM
Wow.
Do you REALLY think Rick Smith is going to totally tip his hand as to who they're specifically targeting in F/A?? ...or EXACTLY who they're going to draft??

In fact, I'm surprised they got Rick to name the few names that he did regarding F/As they want to hold on to. Hell, if I were Rick Smith wouldn't tip my hand at this stage of the game. That gives the F/As too much leverage during contract negotiations. Man, if you guys play poker like you expect Rick Smith to spill his guts, I'd love to sit at the table with you. Bring lots of money.

I'm just tired of shallow reporting, especially this week of the Super Bowl.

Did you check the date on that interview? It was done back on Jan. 3rd, not during Superbowl week.

And I see everyone saying the interview could have been much better but I didn't see any examples of questions that should have been asked. Remember, no GM worth a crap is gonna name specific names at this juncture in the year. F/A is a month or two away. Declaring your interest in a guy only drives up the price. So given that groundrule - i.e., don't tip your hand lest you unnecessarily raise the price of the player you want - what other questions would you guys have asked??

I will listen and learn from you masters.

Specnatz
01-31-2008, 12:17 PM

Rep later yadda yadaa ..........

What ever credibility he had at one time is going bye bye with this sort of crap jounalism. Throw it against the wall and hope something sticks.

Wolf
01-31-2008, 12:19 PM
Maybe this is 12 months in Iraq talking but Anna-Megan can talk about how gnomes farm for beets in the winter and she would have my undivided attention.

from her myspace

http://a113.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/104/l_fc4dd74ec631ee6ba8d13ca63180bca0.jpg

Double Barrel
01-31-2008, 02:27 PM
Did you check the date on that interview? It was done back on Jan. 3rd, not during Superbowl week.

Did I even imply that the interview was this week? :um:

Your powers of assumption are simply amazing.

Point being, after watching two weeks of lame reporting, this one is right up there with it, regardless of when the interview was conducted.

With regards to questions, there are a number of areas that Rick Smith could have shed some light on. I don't have all the questions, but I have not spent any time thinking of it. Give me 24 hours and I could have a long list. And I don't do this for a living, which is [allegedly] left to the "professionals" that get PAID to be sports reporters.

So you enjoy shallow reporting. Fine. But don't chastise those of us that would like a little depth from our sports section.

tulexan
01-31-2008, 02:36 PM

I think it's the 12 months in Iraq.

WesmanTexanfan
01-31-2008, 02:40 PM
I think it's the 12 months in Iraq.

I can see what hes talking about though, looking at the size of her....um, Brains.....

Polo
01-31-2008, 02:47 PM
Wow.
Do you REALLY think Rick Smith is going to totally tip his hand as to who they're specifically targeting in F/A?? ...or EXACTLY who they're going to draft??

In fact, I'm surprised they got Rick to name the few names that he did regarding F/As they want to hold on to. Hell, if I were Rick Smith wouldn't tip my hand at this stage of the game. That gives the F/As too much leverage during contract negotiations. Man, if you guys play poker like you expect Rick Smith to spill his guts, I'd love to sit at the table with you. Bring lots of money.

And I see everyone saying the interview could have been much better but I didn't see any examples of questions that should have been asked. Remember, no GM worth a crap is gonna name specific names at this juncture in the year. F/A is a month or two away. Declaring your interest in a guy only drives up the price. So given that groundrule - i.e., don't tip your hand lest you unnecessarily raise the price of the player you want - what other questions would you guys have asked??

I will listen and learn from you masters.

Good post.

Double Barrel
01-31-2008, 03:27 PM
Good post.

Thank you for your contribution. :)

ObsiWan
01-31-2008, 03:39 PM
Did I even imply that the interview was this week? :um:

Your powers of assumption are simply amazing.

Point being, after watching two weeks of lame reporting, this one is right up there with it, regardless of when the interview was conducted.

With regards to questions, there are a number of areas that Rick Smith could have shed some light on. I don't have all the questions, but I have not spent any time thinking of it. Give me 24 hours and I could have a long list. And I don't do this for a living, which is [allegedly] left to the "professionals" that get PAID to be sports reporters.

So you enjoy shallow reporting. Fine. But don't chastise those of us that would like a little depth from our sports section.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings, that wasn't my intent. My point was simple: The criticisms made by you and others would have more credibility if some of the questions/content people thought was missing were listed as examples.

I still don't see them. Instead of providing examples of the types of pointed questions you'd like to see asked all you've done is b*tch at me.

And slow down and think about it. They have 5-10 minutes for the taped interview. Don't you think they had an "off the record" pre-Q&A on what Rick was willing to divulge and what he wouldn't talk about? So if you only have so much time on camera, why waste time asking questions that you know you won't get an answer to? Why would anyone do that?

ObsiWan
01-31-2008, 03:56 PM
Point being, after watching two weeks of lame reporting,

And for the record, I totally agree with your "lame reporting" assessment regarding this year's Super Bowl coverage. I've tried hard to minimize my watching of ESPN or even NFL network because its all so sad. How many times can they speculate on Tom Brady's leg.

Enough already. Its enough to make me not want to watch the dang game.

Double Barrel
01-31-2008, 04:03 PM
Sorry if I hurt your feelings, that wasn't my intent. My point was simple: The criticisms made by you and others would have more credibility if some of the questions/content people thought was missing were listed as examples.

I still don't see them. Instead of providing examples of the types of pointed questions you'd like to see asked all you've done is b*tch at me.

And slow down and think about it. They have 5-10 minutes for the taped interview. Don't you think they had an "off the record" pre-Q&A on what Rick was willing to divulge and what he wouldn't talk about? So if you only have so much time on camera, why waste time asking questions that you know you won't get an answer to? Why would anyone do that?

heh heh, "hurt feelings"? Obviously, you don't know me very well. When I get my feelings hurt from message board will be the first. :howdy:

My apologies to you for being overly critical about a subject that you seem very sensitive towards. I'll tread lightly next time to spare you. ;)

Anyway, back to the subject, McLain and Anna have a track history of pretty shallow reporting, so my "bitching" is merely from past history.

With regards to questions, put it forth to forum members. I'd be willing to bet that you would get some good ones in return.

ObsiWan
01-31-2008, 04:20 PM
My apologies to you for being overly critical about a subject that you seem very sensitive towards. I'll tread lightly next time to spare you. ;)

Anyway, back to the subject, McLain and Anna have a track history of pretty shallow reporting, so my "bitching" is merely from past history.

If you're referring to those lame video attempts at humor McClain fills his chron blog up with at times, I'm totally with you. The first one or two were "different" - even almost funny - but then they got so bad I stopped reading the dang blog because it got to the point that's all they ever did.

By contrast, this Rick Smith interview was pretty decent.

And don't tread lightly on my account. Nothing keeps me into a discussion like a good, ole fashioned disagreement.
:pirate: