PDA

View Full Version : Fox Sports:Houston Texans Inside Slant

Wolf
01-29-2008, 12:24 AM
Jan 25
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4809740/Houston-Texans-Inside-Slant?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

"That was something that we started chasing this year," Kubiak said. "We thought we had a good enough football team to do that this year. That will be our goal from now on, and that was talked about last year and that won't change. ... I would hope that we can get our football team good enough and have enough confidence in what we're doing that every year we don't do that, we consider it a big disappointment. I'm all in for that, but I know we have to get better as a football team to get there."

For the second year under Kubiak, the Texans struggled mightily to run the ball. Each year, something different has gone wrong. The Texans didn't do much to upgrade the running back position in 2006 because they were under the impression that Domanick Davis was going to return from a serious knee injury.

In 2007, they made a big free agent acquisition by signing Ahman Green away from Green Bay. Green was hurt in the first game, however. He ended up playing sparingly throughout the season and eventually landed on the injured reserve.

Both seasons, the Texans ended with a practice squad player moving into the starting role.

Green returns next season, and it is likely Ron Dayne will be back as well. The Texans will also have Darius Walker and Chris Taylor. While they will look for a capable starter in case injuries befall Green again, the Texans are hoping much of their improvement comes with the help of new assistant head coach Alex Gibbs.

"I think one thing that's obvious is that we have to get consistency in who's running the football," Kubiak said. "We went out and we chased that last year in free agency with Ahman. Of course, that did not work out with his injury this year, so that was extremely disappointing for our franchise and the steps that we have taken.

"In this league, you have to have two (running backs), I'm not sure you don't need three in the long haul to be successful. Of course, we're counting on Ahman coming back and being 100 percent; he can be a huge factor for our team when he is. I think I've said this in the past, when you're missing things and guys are hurt, you can't just all of a sudden sit up there today and look at a roster and say, 'Well, we'll be OK there because he'll be healthy.' We can't approach things that way. He was hurt; he wasn't there.

"We have to go out and find some young kids. We have to find some guys that are going to be in it for the long haul and be there, and if Ahman is 100 percent healthy and playing every week, then that's a bonus for our team. I just think we have to get some consistency back there in who's doing it."

Second Honeymoon
01-29-2008, 12:47 AM
Sounds like Green is going to be a Texan in 08. I don't have a problem with it. I really liked what I saw from Walker too. I think we could roll with last year's talent at RB and give it another chance. Ahman did look like he was going to be a difference maker before he got hurt. We got other holes to fill.

Specnatz
01-29-2008, 03:14 AM
Sounds like Green is going to be a Texan in 08. I don't have a problem with it. I really liked what I saw from Walker too. I think we could roll with last year's talent at RB and give it another chance. Ahman did look like he was going to be a difference maker before he got hurt. We got other holes to fill.

I do not agree that we should stand pat but I would rather pick one up in FA that can contribute and add depth. Keep Walker, Green and get someone the likes of ....

Justin Fargas (Raiders), Derrick Ward ({NY G RFA} in nontendered), Michael Turner ({Chargers} if the price is right). With the Oline and the secondary in such dire needs I would rather not draft a RB unless it is late in the draft.

painekiller
01-29-2008, 03:25 AM
This is the old stuff repackaged, and I have been getting beat up because I have suggested that we will not go RB in the 1st or the 3rd. Green will be given every chance to keep his job. If he gets nicked up in training camp, then I could see him cut.

Dayne has earned his chance to come to training camp. Taylor was missed this year, he was the speed power guy we needed when Dayne and Green where both hurt. He has a lot to prove, and he will need to stay healthy and hold onto the ball or he will be gone.

Walker has an uphill battle to fight, he could be this years Lundy. Out the door. Or he could be staying and the vets moved. I am looking forward to training camp.

PHAROAH
01-29-2008, 07:45 AM
This is the old stuff repackaged, and I have been getting beat up because I have suggested that we will not go RB in the 1st or the 3rd. Green will be given every chance to keep his job. If he gets nicked up in training camp, then I could see him cut.

Dayne has earned his chance to come to training camp. Taylor was missed this year, he was the speed power guy we needed when Dayne and Green where both hurt. He has a lot to prove, and he will need to stay healthy and hold onto the ball or he will be gone.

Walker has an uphill battle to fight, he could be this years Lundy. Out the door. Or he could be staying and the vets moved. I am looking forward to training camp. The Texans have come out in the Houston Chronicle and stated that they will probably be looking to add two new running backs not just one so I don't see how you think the texans should come back with the same running backs and we know that we can't trust Taylor & Ahman Green to stay healthy.

Ahman Green will get cut mark it here first the guy is damaged goods he is in the same boat as Charles Spencer we can't count on him, if he is healthy he is a plus so we have to move foward like he won't be here. Taylor hasn't done anything for the Texans and boardmembers keep wanting to add him like he will be a difference maker and he isn't lets just accept it that the texans will spend a first day pick on a good young running back, even John Mcclain thinks that we will take a running back on the 1st day of the draft.

:fans:

CloakNNNdagger
01-29-2008, 08:23 AM
Let's not forget that a major reason Taylor took so long to get his "opportunity" is that he never learned to pass block or pick up the blitz. That didn't change after he got into the lineup.

nunusguy
01-29-2008, 08:39 AM
Let's not forget that a major reason Taylor took so long to get his "opportunity" is that he never learned to pass block or pick up the blitz. That didn't change after he got into the lineup.
True. And throw into that his penchant for putting the ball on the ground and it's no wonder that he didn't get a starting opportunity until the last game of his rookie season in 2006. But we saw his ability and potential for the long term in that game. I'm looking forward to Chris Taylor in 2008.

AnthonyE
01-29-2008, 09:13 AM

JStew can block... >.>

All potential draft picks aside, I'm looking forward to any competition in training camp. :)

bigbrewster2000
01-29-2008, 09:59 AM
The Texans have come out in the Houston Chronicle and stated that they will probably be looking to add two new running backs not just one so I don't see how you think the texans should come back with the same running backs and we know that we can't trust Taylor & Ahman Green to stay healthy.

Ahman Green will get cut mark it here first the guy is damaged goods he is in the same boat as Charles Spencer we can't count on him, if he is healthy he is a plus so we have to move foward like he won't be here. Taylor hasn't done anything for the Texans and boardmembers keep wanting to add him like he will be a difference maker and he isn't lets just accept it that the texans will spend a first day pick on a good young running back, even John Mcclain thinks that we will take a running back on the 1st day of the draft.

:fans:

You are right. He probably will get cut but not likely this season. His cap hit will still be pretty big until next season as the majority of his bonus money is tied up in the first 2 seasons, and not evenly spread over the life of the contract.

And you are right we probably will add 2 RB's and 1 in FA like you said but the 1 FA guy will be Ron Dayne and then I bet we take a RB in the 4th or later.:backsout:

HOU-TEX
01-29-2008, 10:20 AM
JStew can block... >.>

All potential draft picks aside, I'm looking forward to any competition in training camp. :)

From what I've gathered through articles, quotes and whatnot I think they're going to bring in whoever they can into camp and grind it out until someone wins the position. Whether by FA, UDFA or draft I bet we'll have some competition in camp at the RB position. Which IMO was not there last TC at that position.

:texflag:

eriadoc
01-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Green returns next season, and it is likely Ron Dayne will be back as well. The Texans will also have Darius Walker and Chris Taylor. While they will look for a capable starter in case injuries befall Green again, the Texans are hoping much of their improvement comes with the help of new assistant head coach Alex Gibbs.

I'm a big fan of the Gibbs hiring, but I doubt he can replace the cartilage in Ahman's knee.

threetoedpete
01-30-2008, 03:24 AM
Not tring to stir anything up....but do you know or are you guessing cartilidge damage ? The last I heard is we are dealing with a deep bruse that wouldn't heal. I mean you know something...do tell.

eriadoc
01-30-2008, 09:36 AM
Not tring to stir anything up....but do you know or are you guessing cartilidge damage ? The last I heard is we are dealing with a deep bruse that wouldn't heal. I mean you know something...do tell.

I don't know anything other than what Ahman Green said during his SR610 radio show, when he used the phrase "bone on bone". His show is archived on SR610's site.

tulexan
01-30-2008, 10:39 AM
True. And throw into that his penchant for putting the ball on the ground and it's no wonder that he didn't get a starting opportunity until the last game of his rookie season in 2006. But we saw his ability and potential for the long term in that game. I'm looking forward to Chris Taylor in 2008.

One game doesn't show long term potential. Taylor will be lucky to make the team next year.

Specnatz
01-30-2008, 12:53 PM
I'm a big fan of the Gibbs hiring, but I doubt he can replace the cartilage in Ahman's knee.

I guess I missed it, but when did a medical report comeout that his knee cartilage is damaged?

badboy
01-30-2008, 01:07 PM

Walker has an uphill battle to fight, he could be this years Lundy. Out the door. Or he could be staying and the vets moved. I am looking forward to training camp.I had to read your post twice.

Green: I agree that he will be in TC and that there is a strong possibility he will be injured again. I, too, can see him cut.

Dayne: yes, he earned the right to come to TC but may be gone.

If this happens you do not want a RB from the draft to fall back on from 1st or 3rd? I do. Especially if Stewart or Mendenhall is available. I do not want to start game one depending on Taylor and Walker. Yes, they might be 1000 yarders or may not be on team.

eriadoc
01-30-2008, 03:30 PM
I guess I missed it, but when did a medical report comeout that his knee cartilage is damaged?

Look three posts above yours.

nunusguy
01-30-2008, 03:43 PM
One game doesn't show long term potential. Taylor will be lucky to make the team next year.

You might be right, I could see that scenario possibly happening to. No doubt our running back situation is very unsettled right now.

aj.
01-30-2008, 07:21 PM

aj.
01-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Jan 25
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4809740/Houston-Texans-Inside-Slant?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

These quotes are from Kubiak's presser on December 31, 2007.

msn.foxsports.com needs to sharpen the knife a little bit.

Give it a few more months and those quotes might even make the Chronicle.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4112

Errant Hothy
01-30-2008, 07:28 PM
Even if it hadn't been said, Green's pratice great one day not be able to the next was a near mirrior of DD/Ws condition that I think most Texans fans feel that Green cannot be counted on to be healthy all of next season (espically when you factor his age into the equation).