PDA

View Full Version : Titans RUMOR

Overalls
01-28-2008, 08:04 PM
It is all over the Jags board that the Titans have hired Greg Williams but it isn't on the Titans boards yet. Take it for what you will. They are saying it is per NFL network.

Kaiser Toro
01-28-2008, 08:22 PM
It is all over the Jags board that the Titans have hired Greg Williams but it isn't on the Titans boards yet. Take it for what you will. They are saying it is per NFL network.

Did they mention in what capacity?

Wolf
01-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Lets take a look at the potential candidate list upon Gregg Williams’ pulling his name from the list. You have Steve Spagnuolo, Josh McDaniels, Ron Meeks, Jim Schwartz, and Jim Fassel. At this time, no one else has been connected to the Redskins’ job, and the assumption here in this article is that Snyder has his guy, and he’s been involved in the hiring process.

But based on that assumption, it seems ridiculous that Spagnuolo or McDaniels could be the next head coach of the Redskins. Heck, they haven’t even interviewed, and the team never even declared an interest in them. Neither Spagnuolo or McDaniels ever received any reasonable play for this job. They were never candidates. What we’ve got here, is the typical smokescreen, and the perfect excuse to think the search is still going on. Don’t buy it. Cross them off the list.

That leaves us with Fassel, Schwartz, and Meeks as potential Redskin head coaches. It seems like out of that bunch, Fassel would be the leading candidate. But something about Fassel doesn’t add up, and I’ve figured out what it is. Fassel’s hiring was simply going to be a means to an end, a means to land Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan in the same role here. Certainly, at some point in this process, Fassel was the leading candidate. But the Redskins absolutely had every opportunity to offer Fassel the job. And when Ryan declared that he was staying in Baltimore, Snyder backed off. Shortly thereafter, Jim Zorn was announced as the offensive coodinator, and today, Greg Blache was hired as DC.

Hold on though. The Titans don’t even have an opening on the defensive side of the ball. Gregg Willams won’t be interviewing for head coach, Jeff Fisher’s got that position.

The only logical reason the Titans would be interviewing Williams is if they thought there was going to be an opening at the coordinator position. The Titans have a defensive coordinator, and his name is Jim Schwartz.

The only logical reason for the Titans to be lining up a replacement for Schwartz is if he has informed them that he plans to take another position. If he plans to take another position, then he could have been intericately involved in that team’s assistant coaching hires.

It all makes sense now. I predict that Jim Schwartz accepts the position as Head Coach of the Washington Redskins two days after Super Bowl XLII.
http://mvn.com/nfl-redskins/2008/01/26/snyders-got-his-guy/

from the titans board rumor

http://forums.titansonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33853

Wolf
01-28-2008, 08:28 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80649855

Kaiser Toro
01-28-2008, 08:29 PM
I would love for the Titans to have two new coordinators next year.

toronto
01-28-2008, 09:32 PM

So would I because I think both are better than what they had.

Bulluck53
01-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Ha, I would love Heimerdinger/Williams over Chow/Schwartz.

But there was a report yesterday saying Schwartz had signed a 2 year extension so...

Blazing Arrow
01-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Ha, I would love Heimerdinger/Williams over Chow/Schwartz.

But there was a report yesterday saying Schwartz had signed a 2 year extension so...

Agreed ... I would love to not sit on a 3 point lead and hope ....

ATX
01-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Agreed ... I would love to not sit on a 3 point lead and hope ....

Sounds like an offensive problem.

Blazing Arrow
01-28-2008, 11:08 PM
Sounds like an offensive problem.

Why Chow is gone ... check the SD game for why we need a new DC.

ATX
01-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Why Chow is gone ... check the SD game for why we need a new DC.

Y'all put up a whopping 6 points against SD, how is it a defensive problem? Your D isn't bad.

Mr teX
01-29-2008, 08:25 AM

Wouldn't want them to have Greg Williams as a d-coordinator but dom capers seems like a good fit for them.........:d:

Vinny
01-29-2008, 08:39 AM
Williams runs Fishers system....he won't be installing a new defense if he is indeed hired.

Blazing Arrow
01-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Y'all put up a whopping 6 points against SD, how is it a defensive problem? Your D isn't bad.

It is not the D it is the play calling when we have a lead. Both SD games we had a foot on there throat and just let them come back on us. Prevent ... prevents us from winning and Schwartz loves it at the end of games.

The first game between the Texans and Titans last season comes to mind.

Texan_Bill
01-29-2008, 11:21 AM
Wasn't Greg Williams an assistant coach during Buffalo's comeback against the Oilers......... :hmmm:

Specnatz
01-29-2008, 11:23 AM
It is not the D it is the play calling when we have a lead. Both SD games we had a foot on there throat and just let them come back on us. Prevent ... prevents us from winning and Schwartz loves it at the end of games.

Sounds like a HC problem to me if that is how you are going to say it.

Vinny
01-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Sounds like a HC problem to me if that is how you are going to say it.people get too simplistic with the "prevent" mantra....what is the alternative? Playing tight and giving up the big play and letting teams score fast?

ATX
01-29-2008, 11:25 AM

Uhh, I'll give you the first game against SD......you were up by 14 I believe, but to say you had your foot on their throat in the playoffs is laughable.

Blazing Arrow
01-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Sounds like a HC problem to me if that is how you are going to say it.

Yes Fisher should have sicked Ryan on Schwartz ...

Texans_Chick
01-29-2008, 11:27 AM
people get too simplistic with the "prevent" mantra....what is the alternative? Playing tight and giving up the big play and letting teams score fast?

You make a good point.

Signed,
Dunta Robinson when he had two healthy legs, no safety help, and Kerry Collins knew it was a one on one matchup with a short corner at the end of the Texans-Titans home game.

austintexanite
01-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Williams is meeting with the Jags, I wonder where he'll land.

http://mb.jaguars.com/Topic472854-6-1.aspx

Blazing Arrow
01-29-2008, 11:30 AM
people get too simplistic with the "prevent" mantra....what is the alternative? Playing tight and giving up the big play and letting teams score fast?

With 0 points allowed and a blitz penetrating the pocket on every play yes I say stick with that. LT gets all but hurt in games ... if he had continued to sulk on the sidelines the game would have been over but we let them have hope that they could move the ball and momentum shifted back to SD.

Or in that near come back by the Texans .... of giving up in Tampa. The season was full of it. If we allow the QB to get to his 4th and 5th reads someone is going to be open. Our D is built around getting to the QB and disrupting the play. Make him throw before he wants too.

Blazing Arrow
01-29-2008, 11:32 AM
Uhh, I'll give you the first game against SD......you were up by 14 I believe, but to say you had your foot on their throat in the playoffs is laughable.

With a 6-0 lead and Gates out for the rest of the game it may have not been on the throat but is was polished up and about ready too be. If Brown does not cough up the ball on SDs 5 and we score a TD that game was over.

BigBull17
01-29-2008, 11:38 AM

Maybe play the same way that got you a lead? I hate when people do one thing to get a lead and then change what they are doing. Its one of the few things about Indy I like, they dont stop doing what they do. If they are up 10 with 4 minutes left, you better pay attention because they will run play action over the top. Just do what you do.

Texan_Bill
01-29-2008, 11:53 AM
With a 6-0 lead and Gates out for the rest of the game it may have not been on the throat but is was polished up and about ready too be. If Brown does not cough up the ball on SDs 5 and we score a TD that game was over.

That's a huge 'If'

'If', 'If' were a fifth, we'd all be :drunk:

'If' Mike Renfro's catch at the back of the Pittsburgh end zone would have been called correctly, the Oilers would have won...

Do we know that to be certain??? NO!

Vinny
01-29-2008, 12:05 PM
'If' Mike Renfro's catch at the back of the Pittsburgh end zone would have been called correctly, the Oilers would have won...

Do we know that to be certain??? NO!we were still behind weren't we? I think the game would have been closer (with a lot of game left if I'm remembering this right) but I think its a bit of an overstatement to say we would have won.

Blazing Arrow
01-29-2008, 12:05 PM
IF that had happened LT would not have cuddled with Rivers and would have pouted in the corner with his arms crossed.

Vinny
01-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Maybe play the same way that got you a lead? I hate when people do one thing to get a lead and then change what they are doing. Its one of the few things about Indy I like, they dont stop doing what they do. If they are up 10 with 4 minutes left, you better pay attention because they will run play action over the top. Just do what you do.Often times you take risk to get a lead...no sense in having a big lead and getting no help up top as you inject risk into a situation that doesn't need as much. As TC posted above...we have done that and lost as well.

Texan_Bill
01-29-2008, 12:10 PM
we were still behind weren't we? I think the game would have been closer (with a lot of game left if I'm remembering this right) but I think its a bit of an overstatement to say we would have won.

We were behind, but the point was no one will ever know if we would have won or not had that been ruled a TD...

We still got a field goal on that drive closing the score to 17-13 (it happened at the very end of the 3rd quarter)... The defense fell apart and gave up 10 unanswered points in the 4th quarter. Final: 27-13 Steelers.

ATX
01-29-2008, 12:11 PM

They seemed to do well against the reigning Super Bowl champs on the road without a healthy LT, Rivers, and Gates. Talk about excuses......:cool:

Specnatz
01-29-2008, 12:21 PM

My point is that he was complaining about the assistants running the prevent and not going for the jugular. With fisher being a defensive minded coach then that blame should be squarely put on the head coaches shoulders not just the D-coord. There is no one here who will say Fischer is a bad coach and that is why I said blame him.

As far as what defense to run at the end of games I think you mix it up. This is where the bend but don't break defense comes into play. Playing off a guy is not a bad thing as long as you are not giving the WR 20 yards versus giving him very short underneath routes like the 5 to 7 yard variety. Make them use the timeouts and the clock.

Blazing Arrow
01-29-2008, 12:22 PM
They seemed to do well against the reigning Super Bowl champs on the road without a healthy LT, Rivers, and Gates. Talk about excuses......:cool:

You are trying to twist my point. This thread is about G Williams and my point was Schwartz likes to play late game prevent to hold onto a lead. The SD games were used to illustrate this. Oh and LT is a cry baby.

ATX
01-29-2008, 12:30 PM
You are trying to twist my point. This thread is about G Williams and my point was Schwartz likes to play late game prevent to hold onto a lead. The SD games were used to illustrate this. Oh and LT is a cry baby.

I understand your point, just like you probably understand I'm giving you a hard time because you're a Titans fan. I'm an ex Oiler fan, I know about the prevent defense quite well, it killed us in many games.

Bulluck53
01-29-2008, 05:04 PM
You make a good point.

Signed,
Dunta Robinson when he had two healthy legs, no safety help, and Kerry Collins knew it was a one on one matchup with a short corner at the end of the Texans-Titans home game.

Well, it can go both ways. Teams can score whether you run a prevent or your base. But the point is clear in that old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it." If they haven't scored on you all day while using one defense why change it up? Who is to say they would start scoring on you now (again, there is always that possibility but you get the point)

Take the game down in Houston this past season. Do you think yall came back because Rosenfels is that great of a QB or because we changed our defensive gameplan? I'll take the latter all the way. Schwartz quit bringing pressure in the 4th and Rosenfels picked apart our weak secondary (which it is when we can't generate a pass rush.... its a given with most teams). Not trying to take away credit but thats the way I see it. Now you could say "well bringing guys on a blitz gives the receivers more space to work, etc." but I say, they had been blitzing all game and not getting burned so why would it all of a sudden happen in the 4th.

That was a coaching mistake, whether it be the defensive coordinator, head coach or both.

Bulluck53
01-29-2008, 05:06 PM
And Lord knows I don't claim to be an all-knowing football genious.... it is just kind of obvious to me

Bulluck53
01-30-2008, 01:36 PM
if you have a little time then read a bit of this....

http://www.fireschwartz.com/

Texan_Bill
01-30-2008, 01:40 PM
if you have a little time then read a bit of this....

http://www.fireschwartz.com/

That was an interesting read. I find it funny that while it rips Schwartz as a DC, it goes on to say that they he would make a good GM down the road. Even funnier is comparing his approach to that of the Rocket's Daryl Morey.
Schwartz as GM instead?

My prediction five years down the road - Schwartz will make a great GM, using the same statistical strategic approach like Daryl Morey is starting to use as GM with the Rockets and the Athletics' have had with GM Billy 'Moneyball' Beane for years. However, neither of those guys are coaches, and nor should Schwartz, an economist at heart (and education). Stats are for personnel decisions, not for playcalling (see Boise State's two-point conversion). Two different sides of the brain (See 'Do analytics kill emotion?' below).

Carr Bombed
01-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Defense or no defense.............when your freaking team only scores 6 points in a game you aren't going to win.

It's funny listening to these Titan fans bash the defense and let Vince Young skate.......sorry, but making the playoffs with a QB that threw double the amount of picks than he did TDs.............I think it's pretty obvious which side of the ball took care of their business this year and CARRIED their team to the playoffs despite obvious deficiencies.

'http://aka.zero.jibjab.com/client/zero/ClientZero_EmbedViewer.swf?external_make_id=zv6FXG RVSR2QzXEw&service=sendables.jibjab.com' (http://aka.zero.jibjab.com/client/zero/ClientZero_EmbedViewer.swf?external_make_id=zv6FXG RVSR2QzXEw&service=sendables.jibjab.com)

Texan_Bill
01-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Defense or no defense.............when your freaking team only scores 6 points in a game you aren't going to win.

It's funny listening to these Titan fans bash the defense and let Vince Young skate.......sorry, but making the playoffs with a QB that threw double the amount of picks than he did TDs.............I think it's pretty obvious which side of the ball took care of their business this year and CARRIED their team to the playoffs despite obvious deficiencies.

Bad hands, lead to drops....

:stirpot:

Bulluck53
01-30-2008, 03:40 PM
That was an interesting read. I find it funny that while it rips Schwartz as a DC, it goes on to say that they he would make a good GM down the road. Even funnier is comparing his approach to that of the Rocket's Daryl Morey.

I don't necessarily agree with it but what he wrote supports what he said.

Carr Bombed
01-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Bad hands, lead to drops....

:stirpot:

Even during the years where people bashed Vick's and McNabb's receivers........those QBs never posted anything close to Vince's td/int. ratio.

I'm not saying Vince is going to suck forever, but at this stage in his career he has trouble putting the ball in the endzone.........windows shrink when your on that side of the field. Which is why they always had stalled drives that lead to field goals.

Errant Hothy
01-31-2008, 11:18 AM
Titans | Schwartz signs two-year extension
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:51:53 -0800

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz has signed a two-year contract extension, according to league sources. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl