PDA

View Full Version : Gregg Williams for DC

DocBar
01-26-2008, 08:21 PM
I just saw that Gregg Williams was released as Defensive Coordinator of the Redskins. I know he likes the 34 defense he learned under Buddy Ryan, but I bet he could make one helluva improvement over our present DC and you don't spend as much time as he has in the NFL and NOT understand the 4-3 and how to make it succesful. What do you guys think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregg_Williams

CloakNNNdagger
01-26-2008, 08:39 PM
The Jags and Rams have beaten you to the punch.........they've already sought permission to interview........

DocBar
01-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Why do you need permission to interview someone who's unemployed? Besides, he has deep Houston roots....

b0ng
01-26-2008, 08:47 PM
As cool as it would be, I think that I would rather stay in a 4-3 like we have. I think going back and changing the entire scheme will regress all of the progresss we have made.

On the other hand, this is hilarious, as it looks like the Redskins and the Raiders are going to be the laughing stocks of the league.

DocBar
01-26-2008, 08:48 PM
As cool as it would be, I think that I would rather stay in a 4-3 like we have. I think going back and changing the entire scheme will regress all of the progresss we have made.

On the other hand, this is hilarious, as it looks like the Redskins and the Raiders are going to be the laughing stocks of the league. I will be POed if we even considered a 3-4.

CloakNNNdagger
01-26-2008, 08:53 PM
Why do you need permission to interview someone who's unemployed? Besides, he has deep Houston roots....

This is why:

The person familiar with the selection process said that the Redskins have granted the St. Louis Rams permission to interview both Williams and Saunders for coordinator positions. The person said the Rams had to seek permission because, even though Williams and Saunders were told they were being dismissed, the team hasn't formally terminated their contracts (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7723090/Redskins-fire-defensive-coordinator-Williams).

Maddict5
01-26-2008, 09:00 PM
the skins run a 4-3??

Second Honeymoon
01-26-2008, 09:54 PM
He isn't a perfect fit but he would bring more experience and success to the table than Richard Smith has. With the Rhodes hiring, its pretty obvious that we are stuck errrrr set with Richard Smith as our DC in 08.

GP
01-26-2008, 10:17 PM
Didn't the story also speak of his personality and how it works well with fans, but not so great within the team itself?

Kubiak seems to be a "No Drama Allowed" sort of person.

We already have the best DC in the league anyways

:fans:

P.S. Can we find or create a smiley that wears an army helmet, and the guy is going bonkers with energy and enthusiasm?

threetoedpete
01-26-2008, 11:17 PM
You guys are too funny. Wake me when you actually get Smith out the door.

will agree, fwiiw, the only coach you will see infront of a microphone is Kubiak. That is by design. Many chiefs on the vessel. Only one captian. The Captain tells the chiefs where to stear the boat. I get it. :thinking:

beerlover
01-26-2008, 11:34 PM
You guys are too funny. Wake me when you actually get Smith out the door.

will agree, fwiiw, the only coach you will see infront of a microphone is Kubiak. That is by design. Many chiefs on the vessel. Only one captian. The Captain tells the chiefs where to stear the boat. I get it. :thinking:

tell that to Lane Kiffen :winky:

we are spoiled to have such great ownership, whats transpiring in Oakland makes me sick to my stomach. Al Davis is a complete, total :worm: & yes Richard is going nowhere soon, he is getting a shot in the arm w/Rhodes :)

Lucky
01-26-2008, 11:43 PM
I know he likes the 34 defense he learned under Buddy Ryan...
That's the 46 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/46_defense) or "Bears" defense.

Grid
01-27-2008, 01:15 AM
If they think Richard Smith deserves another year than so do I. When we originally hired smith I was happy with the hire because he had shown a willingness to be aggressive on defense.. and im sure that willingness is still there.

By surrounding him with more experience and knowledge (Rhodes) I think we may see more of the kind of defense that I originally was hoping Smith would run (AGGRESSIVE!).. I think that added knowledge will give Smith more ideas and help with how to run it properly (meaning.. without opening ourselves up to huge plays).

Second Honeymoon
01-27-2008, 10:58 AM
This apologist attitude towards Smith smacks of the same excuse laden apologist attitude during the final years of David Carr. No one held him accountable until it was too late and it was blatantly obvious the guy sucked. Seems like some are taking the same position towards Richard Smith.

Adding Rhodes may help but until we get a decent DC, don't expect a whole lot out of that unit. Richard Smith sucks.....period, and just because Texans brass is too proud or niiiiiice to do something about it doesn't mean things are going to be fine. This is a results oriented business and people need to be held accountable and continuing to make excuses or rationalizations is the same damn thing that happened during Carr's meteoric fall to All-Time Biggest Bust status. Do we really want to throw another year away with Smith as DC? No more excuses.....We want results.

Corrosion
01-27-2008, 02:22 PM

On the other hand, this is hilarious, as it looks like the Redskins and the Raiders are going to be the laughing stocks of the league.

Agree'd , The Texans have spent too much money and Three 1st round picks on personell to fit the 4-3 in Mario Williams , Amobe and Travis Johnson . None of dwhich I see working out well in the 3-4 . That would be taking one hell of a step back .:gun:

Corrosion
01-27-2008, 02:27 PM
If they think Richard Smith deserves another year than so do I. When we originally hired smith I was happy with the hire because he had shown a willingness to be aggressive on defense.. and im sure that willingness is still there.

By surrounding him with more experience and knowledge (Rhodes) I think we may see more of the kind of defense that I originally was hoping Smith would run (AGGRESSIVE!).. I think that added knowledge will give Smith more ideas and help with how to run it properly (meaning.. without opening ourselves up to huge plays).

To be aggressive you first have to have DB's who can cover .... The injuries in the secondary havent helped .

The other thing this team needs is a LB or DB who is a real threat to get to the QB ..... Im not sure that person is on the roster .

Second Honeymoon
01-27-2008, 02:44 PM
People do realize that Gregg Williams has run 4-3 defenses before, right? Didn't they even run a 4-3 when he was head coach at Buffalo?

GP
01-27-2008, 04:21 PM
This apologist attitude towards Smith smacks of the same excuse laden apologist attitude during the final years of David Carr. No one held him accountable until it was too late and it was blatantly obvious the guy sucked. Seems like some are taking the same position towards Richard Smith.

Adding Rhodes may help but until we get a decent DC, don't expect a whole lot out of that unit. Richard Smith sucks.....period, and just because Texans brass is too proud or niiiiiice to do something about it doesn't mean things are going to be fine. This is a results oriented business and people need to be held accountable and continuing to make excuses or rationalizations is the same damn thing that happened during Carr's meteoric fall to All-Time Biggest Bust status. Do we really want to throw another year away with Smith as DC? No more excuses.....We want results.

Post of the year.

Lucky
01-27-2008, 04:27 PM
People do realize that Gregg Williams has run 4-3 defenses before, right? Didn't they even run a 4-3 when he was head coach at Buffalo?
Yes, Williams has always run a base 4-3 defense. He has also incorporated the 46 defense, which is run with 4-3 base personnel.

Marcus
01-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Post of the year.

To each his own, I guess. I thought the post sucked. Blew chunks as a matter of fact. Dude can't get past David Carr.

Wolf
01-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Yes, Williams has always run a base 4-3 defense. He has also incorporated the 46 defense, which is run with 4-3 base personnel.

I thought the titans ran the 4-3 also esp during the super bowl run
but can't remember their personnel

Kevin carter, robaire smith "insert name" Jevon Kearse???
Carlos hall, henry ford???
maybe I am wrong on that one

TEXANRED
01-27-2008, 04:48 PM
I personally hate Richard Smith. His first two years as DC he has had his defense finish 31st and 30th in the league. No wonder we cant win our division.

I said earlier in another post how you cant be satisfied with the product that you have and you should always be looking for an upgrade at any position.

I would rather see Ray Rhodes as our DC.

Lucky
01-27-2008, 05:01 PM
I personally hate Richard Smith. His first two years as DC he has had his defense finish 31st and 30th in the league. No wonder we cant win our division.
Even if this were true (and it's not: the Texans have finished 24th in total defense for both seasons), I wouldn't personally hate the guy.

adam
01-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Richard Smith is horrible, no doubt about that. Unfortunately, he is not going anywhere. Rather than having an aneursym over it, I am just going to hope that more help in the secondary and coaching staff will help him become a better DC. Barring the rise of one of the most dominant defenses in league history, I could see Smith's tenure with the Texans being over after next season anyhow.

TexanSam
01-27-2008, 09:05 PM

We can't win our division yet because we aren't as talented as the other teams in our division. It's not because we have Richard Smith as our DC.

TEXANRED
01-27-2008, 09:10 PM
We can't win our division yet because we aren't as talented as the other teams in our division. It's not because we have Richard Smith as our DC.

Our offense is a thousand times better than the Titans and our defense makes VY and Collins look like Joe Montana and Steve Young.

There was no excuse losing to the Titans twice last year, and both times fell on our sorry defense.

TEXANRED
01-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Even if this were true (and it's not: the Texans have finished 24th in total defense for both seasons), I wouldn't personally hate the guy.

Thats weird, at the end of the year they had us at 30.

PHAROAH
01-27-2008, 09:31 PM
TexanRED is right Richard Smith is a horrible coordinator I think with the hiring of Ray Rhodes I think some changes are coming very soon and that some staff members will have there responsibilities removed.:pirate: