PDA

View Full Version : Dan Neil on Alex Gibbs

hookinreds
01-25-2008, 11:07 PM
No real new revelation here, but thought I would share something from one of Gibbs former players.

So I was talking to Dan Neil this morning and asked him what were his thoughts on Alex Gibbs and what impact he will have on the Texans. Amazing enough, he had no idea that Gibbs had signed on with the Texans. He then proceeded to say he had one word of advice for our players, “RUN”, as in get the heck out of there (jokingly). He said he’s an “mean ‘ol SOB” (again jokingly). Gibbs is all about positive yards, and that he expects to get at least three yards per carry, and that he expects his offense to be third and four, or forth and one and be able to convert. Said it’s all about one cut and gone, or else you will be cut and gone. Dan said the Texans will be a top five running team next year because of what Gibbs will do for the run game. I wanted to get into who we have on the line and who would work for us in the draft, but was cut short.

Wolf
01-26-2008, 12:26 AM
No real new revelation here, but thought I would share something from one of Gibbs former players.

So I was talking to Dan Neil this morning and asked him what were his thoughts on Alex Gibbs and what impact he will have on the Texans. Amazing enough, he had no idea that Gibbs had signed on with the Texans. He then proceeded to say he had one word of advice for our players, “RUN”, as in get the heck out of there (jokingly). He said he’s an “mean ‘ol SOB” (again jokingly). Gibbs is all about positive yards, and that he expects to get at least three yards per carry, and that he expects his offense to be third and four, or forth and one and be able to convert. Said it’s all about one cut and gone, or else you will be cut and gone. Dan said the Texans will be a top five running team next year because of what Gibbs will do for the run game. I wanted to get into who we have on the line and who would work for us in the draft, but was cut short.

good, I get tired of the 2nd and 1 or 3rd and one or even whatever and goal and we run up the middle and get nothing out of it.. I am loving the fire from the coach on that

it drove me nuts on sundays that short yardage situation we seem to stumble at times in the running game

Ole Miss Texan
01-26-2008, 04:03 AM
good, I get tired of the 2nd and 1 or 3rd and one or even whatever and goal and we run up the middle and get nothing out of it.. I am loving the fire from the coach on that

it drove me nuts on sundays that short yardage situation we seem to stumble at times in the running game

And everyone blames Dayne for that....those short yardage situations are ALL on the OL and this is AWESOME news that it may finally be dealt with!

Malloy
01-26-2008, 04:18 AM
I have a feeling that Gibbs will like Dayne ;)

HJam72
01-26-2008, 07:02 AM

Yeah, Dayne ALWAYS gets 2 yds. per carry. :)

hookinreds
01-26-2008, 08:46 AM

I totally agree.

aj.
01-26-2008, 10:03 AM
Although 'cut' is not really in Dayne's repertoire. He's a point and go 'holes be dammed' kind of back. A plow in other words.

Denver really didn't have a Dayne-like back while Gibbs was there. That was TD's heyday with a little Olandis Gary and Mike Anderson sprinkled in at the end.

I don't recall KC having a guy like that either during that era (Marcus Allen).

Atlanta may have had Duckett for a year or two while Gibbs was involved there but yes, Kubiak likes Dayne and that may be enough to keep him around here - especially when we are still in such a RB poor situation. I don't care if your name is Alex Gibbs. If all we have to offer is a gimped out Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, Darius Walker and Chris Taylor, we're not going to be setting fear into the hearts of our opponents. We need a couple sets of serious fresh young legs in the backfield.

Apparently the Neil interview was on a Austin, TN radio station earlier this week.

hookinreds
01-26-2008, 07:04 PM
I just noticed that I didn't say that I talked to him when he was on with Bucky on the morning show (1300AM Austin).

As for Dayne, again he doesn't fumble, and get's positive yards even if it's just one or two. I too would like to see some fresh legs in the backfield that could make that one cut and be gone.

austintexanite
01-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Ronnie has been consistent for us the past two years, and even if we draft Stewart or Mendenhall with our first pick, I expect him to be back with us next year. The guy has proven me wrong.

DocBar
01-26-2008, 09:37 PM

it drove me nuts on sundays that short yardage situation we seem to stumble at times in the running game The whole "pass it from the 2 yard line" mentality the NFL has gone to kills me.

See AJ's quote...took the words out of mouth.
Although 'cut' is not really in Dayne's repertoire. He's a point and go 'holes be dammed' kind of back. A plow in other words.

Denver really didn't have a Dayne-like back while Gibbs was there. That was TD's heyday with a little Olandis Gary and Mike Anderson sprinkled in at the end.

I don't recall KC having a guy like that either during that era (Marcus Allen).

Atlanta may have had Duckett for a year or two while Gibbs was involved there but yes, Kubiak likes Dayne and that may be enough to keep him around here - especially when we are still in such a RB poor situation. I don't care if your name is Alex Gibbs. If all we have to offer is a gimped out Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, Darius Walker and Chris Taylor, we're not going to be setting fear into the hearts of our opponents. We need a couple sets of serious fresh young legs in the backfield.

Apparently the Neil interview was on a Austin, TN radio station earlier this week. I think Walker and Taylor are gonna be HUGE in the future.

Ronnie has been consistent for us the past two years, and even if we draft Stewart or Mendenhall with our first pick, I expect him to be back with us next year. The guy has proven me wrong. Dayne has earned a special place in my heart. That dude could be Earl Campbell reincarnated with Gibbs as a coach. I know that smacks of sacrilege, but think on it before you crucify me.

TexanSam
01-26-2008, 09:42 PM
I think Walker and Taylor are gonna be HUGE in the future.

I don't think one of the will be on the team next season. My guess is Chris Taylor will be the odd man out. Rick Smith said RB is a priority this offseason so chances are good we won't be going into next season with Ahman Green, Taylor, Walker, Dayne and and another back, Taylor is the most unproven and most inexperienced. Double negative probably won't be a positive in his case

DocBar
01-26-2008, 09:47 PM
I think Taylor will make it through to TC and from there, it's anybody's guess. I doubt the Texans are gonna target a RB in FA and won't draft one until round 4 or 5 unless everyone ahead of us gets real stupid all of the sudden. Gibbs will have some film to watch of Taylor and I think that will be the deciding factor.

GP
01-26-2008, 11:23 PM
After the Taylor injury, and then Ahman getting hurt, and then Dayne getting hurt, and having to rely on an undrafted guy (Darius Walker) at the end of the season, who was CUT and then re-signed in an emergency situation, I think you'll see Kubiak keep as many running backs as he can.

I think we could see Ahman getting the pink slip ala Domanick Davis. This would leave Dayne, Taylor, and Walker. Look for a running back in the draft, and then maybe a free agency signing to give us a total of 5 backs to go through camp with. Would make sense to me, especially with injuries.

Brandon420tx
01-27-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm pretty sure Darius Walker is still practice squad elligable, they might work a deal with him that way (Like: if someone gets injured your the first person we'll consider deal) Cruel yes, but thats cap politics for you. Hopefully the league will decide on increasing the roster size this year since there is no more nfl europe.

TexansSeminole
01-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Why did we give up Lundy? I still can't figure this one out. Has he signed with another team? I never really looked into that.

nunusguy
01-27-2008, 03:18 PM
Why did we give up Lundy? I still can't figure this one out. Has he signed with another team? I never really looked into that.

The Texans also released second-year running back Wali Lundy, a starter a year ago. Houston signed Ahman Green in the off-season and has 1999 Heisman Trophy winner Ron Dayne and Samkon Gado.
"Samkon has had an excellent off-season," Kubiak said. "Wali improved, but I think the whole group improved and it was a tough call between him and Samkon and we felt like Samkon has won that position. It was very difficult to let Wali go."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d801fb3c0&template=with-video&confirm=true

LonerATO
01-27-2008, 05:56 PM
I wish we had kept Lundy instead of Gado. Lundy just looked like a guy with more potential

infantrycak
01-27-2008, 05:59 PM
I wish we had kept Lundy instead of Gado. Lundy just looked like a guy with more potential

Both of them have the potential to watch the NFL from their couches.

steelbtexan
01-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Both of them have the potential to watch the NFL from their couches.

Funny, & so true

AnthonyE
01-27-2008, 06:59 PM
I remember Lundy had a heartwarming story...

maddogmrb
01-27-2008, 08:36 PM
The whole "pass it from the 2 yard line" mentality the NFL has gone to kills me.

See AJ's quote...took the words out of mouth.
I think Walker and Taylor are gonna be HUGE in the future.

Dayne has earned a special place in my heart. That dude could be Earl Campbell reincarnated with Gibbs as a coach. I know that smacks of sacrilege, but think on it before you crucify me.

NO, I DON'T HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT ... CONSIDER YOURSELF CRUCIFIED!!!:pirate: :bat: :cowboy1:

maddogmrb
01-27-2008, 08:39 PM
I just noticed that I didn't say that I talked to him when he was on with Bucky on the morning show (1300AM Austin).

As for Dayne, again he doesn't fumble, and get's positive yards even if it's just one or two. I too would like to see some fresh legs in the backfield that could make that one cut and be gone.

Ahhh, but I remember many a play where he just ran into the back of a stacked up line and fell down for a 2-3 yard LOSS.:texflag:

hookinreds
01-27-2008, 10:25 PM
Ahhh, but I remember many a play where he just ran into the back of a stacked up line and fell down for a 2-3 yard LOSS.:texflag:

Well, then obviously that is the fault of the line. :sarcasm:

HOU-TEX
01-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Our running backs are horrible. If we're to keep Dayne, it better be for dirt cheap. He's not worth anything more. We can't count on the injured (Green, Taylor). We need an upgrade at this position in a bad way. Let's not make excuses for players that wouldn't be starting for any other team in the NFL.

IMHO, 3rd round will be a RB.:cool:

Vinny
01-28-2008, 10:32 AM

zbs schemes are notorious for not being good short yardage schemes....mainly due to the lack of cheeseburger oriented linemen....so don't get too excited about short yardage and goal line situations. We'll likely struggle in power formation/situations since zbs has smaller lighter linemen....short yardage is about base and anchor....smaller, lighter, quicker works well between the 20's, not as well inside the 20's when the field shrinks or in heavy formations.

awtysst
01-28-2008, 10:56 AM
zbs schemes are notorious for not being good short yardage schemes....mainly due to the lack of cheeseburger oriented linemen....so don't get too excited about short yardage and goal line situations. We'll likely struggle in power formation/situations since zbs has smaller lighter linemen....short yardage is about base and anchor....smaller, lighter, quicker works well between the 20's, not as well inside the 20's when the field shrinks or in heavy formations.

True, but if you can work in bootlegs and other types of distracters it hopefully will give us enough to get into the endzone. Of course utilizing OD and maybe even a swing pass to a back is a good option to loosen the D and open the running game. Thats how the old Broncos got into the endzone and thats how we can too.

Mr. White
01-28-2008, 12:10 PM
I used to listen to Dan Neil's radio show in Austin when I lived there. He used to go on and on about how mean Alex Gibbs was. He had some damn funny stories.

I can't help but think the linemen have been getting jerked around. When Kubes took the job, they had to go on diets. Then Sherman had them "power blocking" instead of zone blocking, so they needed bigger linemen.

I imagine in a couple of months, we'll be hearing about diets again for the linemen.

TexansSeminole
01-28-2008, 04:33 PM

That means the FB on goal line is going to have to be laying some crucial blocks.

aj.
01-28-2008, 07:48 PM
That means the FB on goal line is going to have to be laying some crucial blocks.

... or sneaking into 'Vrabel space' as Poppa Shanny's FBs are wont to do.

ArlingtonTexan
01-29-2008, 11:19 AM

I believe this is exactly why you have seen the Texans attempt to to a hybrid between the mixed and ZBS systems. There are simply times when an offense needs the ability to line-up and beat the guy in front of them with no little cute bootlegs and play action. Those plays work best when a team has the ability to win at the line causing teams to over commit to the run.