PDA

View Full Version : Mario Snubbed Again

MarioWrecksIt
01-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Jason Taylor isn't going to play in the Pro Bowl after tearing his left plantar fascia (sounds familiar) so that would seem to open the door to Hawaii for Mario but instead Bills DE Aaron Schobel who totaled a staggering 6 sacks this year is going instead of Mario. Schobel had 95 tackles which is impressive but come on give the man his due!!!
:brickwall:

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
01-24-2008, 01:14 PM
That was to be expected since Schobel was the first alternate and Mario the second.

michaelm
01-24-2008, 01:15 PM
I just saw that on CNN in the lunch room. What a ripoff!!!

MarioWrecksIt
01-24-2008, 01:16 PM
That was to be expected since Schobel was the first alternate and Mario the second.

Ya i know its just frustrating but hopefully another spot opens up

drewmar74
01-24-2008, 01:17 PM
This reminds me of a cheer we used to break out for home games when I was an undergrad.....

NUTS AND BOLTS!

NUTS AND BOLTS!

WE

GOT

SCREWED!

bah007
01-24-2008, 01:24 PM
Guys I said it at midseason.

The media is not going to allow fans to vote Mario into the Pro Bowl. It will not happen.

The only way he can get in is on player & coach votes and let's face it, he is only in his second year & just doesn't have the big name credibility yet (which is the only thing players vote on anyway).

Second Honeymoon
01-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Yeah Mario should have been first alternate but it gives Mario something to shoot for next year. If Mario continues to evolve, he could usurp that Pro Bowl spot from Taylor forever.

drewmar74
01-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Yeah Mario should have been first alternate but it gives Mario something to shoot for next year. If Mario continues to evolve, he could usurp that Pro Bowl spot from Taylor forever.

True enough.

He seemed like he played with greater intensity when he was pizzed off. Well, hopefully taking the shaft on this whole deal with make him angry for next season in its entirety.

Ole Miss Texan
01-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Personally I'd rather him not play in the pro bowl. If he's voted in from the beginning, awesome.... But he's an alternate? let it be and it'll push him for that much more for next year. I want our players to earn Pro Bowls from the get go and not just because those players ahead decided not to play.

michaelm
01-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Personally I'd rather him not play in the pro bowl. If he's voted in from the beginning, awesome.... But he's an alternate? let it be and it'll push him for that much more for next year. I want our players to earn Pro Bowls from the get go and not just because those players ahead decided not to play.

I think you make a pretty good point.

HoustonFrog
01-24-2008, 01:55 PM
The Pro Bowl doesn't mean jack anymore. I'd rather good players not go. Considering Mario is young and this is his first good year, a snub is expected. It will change with year to year consistency.

Specnatz
01-24-2008, 02:01 PM
I blame espin and all the talking douche bags there.

Except Michael Smith.

ChampionTexan
01-24-2008, 02:09 PM
I agree that Mario should have been on the team from day one - he earned it, and I've loved watching him do it.

However, not to parse words, but this isn't another snub, it's the same snub just continuing. He was the 2nd alternate from the time the team was announced, so it was a foregone conclusion that two DE's would need to be added in order for Mario to be going to Hawaii.

eriadoc
01-24-2008, 02:18 PM

If it were a matter of actually earning it, he's done that. Pro Bowl voting is a popularity contest among fans, and that means the guys who actually earn it aren't always going to go. I agree with your sentiment, but it's off base here, IMO, because a fan's vote doesn't mean something was earned or wasn't. The coaches could have put him in, but with limited spots, they have to make tougher choices. If coaches and players were the people who decided every spot, I'm comfortable thinking that Mario would have probably been the 3rd DE in the AFC.

Ckw
01-24-2008, 02:29 PM
I just have to ask, how does he get voted D Lineman of the year by the Alumni Association, 2nd team All-Pro, yet can't make the Pro Bowl? Ridiculous. Use it as motivation Mario! :fans:

Nawzer
01-24-2008, 02:59 PM
That's pathetic. More fuel for the fire for Mario I guess.

The Pencil Neck
01-24-2008, 03:08 PM
All the QB's on the Texan's schedule next year are saying, "Please, gawd, just let him in..."

Ole Miss Texan
01-24-2008, 04:26 PM
If it were a matter of actually earning it, he's done that. Pro Bowl voting is a popularity contest among fans, and that means the guys who actually earn it aren't always going to go. I agree with your sentiment, but it's off base here, IMO, because a fan's vote doesn't mean something was earned or wasn't. The coaches could have put him in, but with limited spots, they have to make tougher choices. If coaches and players were the people who decided every spot, I'm comfortable thinking that Mario would have probably been the 3rd DE in the AFC.

True. He def. earned it. I'll rephrase by saying that if any Texans are going to play in the pro bowl, I'd rather it be because they were originally voted it (be that fans, players, coaches). Not some technicality 2nd alternate...someone ahead was injured...another didn't want to play..etc. Not that there's anything wrong with being 2nd alternate at all, thats a compliment within itself!

PHAROAH
01-24-2008, 04:27 PM
That's humbug man Mario Should have been in hands down.:shades:

PapaL
01-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Uhh, One still comes before two right? So how is a second alternate being snubbed when the first alternate goes?

Specnatz
01-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Uhh, One still comes before two right? So how is a second alternate being snubbed when the first alternate goes?

Because the first alternate did not deserve to be the first alternate?

PapaL
01-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Guess that's a matter of personal opinion there.