PDA

View Full Version : Salaam and Pitts to star in Super Bowl Ad

DerekLee1
01-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Sort of. Congrats to Ephraim and Chester for having their commercial selected. What great publicity!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5477100.html

On a side note, I also heard them talking about the biggest surprises in the NFL this year. The play of the Packers and our Texans topped the list.

powerfuldragon
01-23-2008, 11:35 AM
good stuff.

01-23-2008, 11:47 AM
By MEGAN MANFULL
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

The Texans may not be one of the main acts at the Super Bowl in 11 days, but they definitely will be part of the show.

Texans left tackle Ephraim Salaam and left guard Chester Pitts will be the stars in the NFL's Super Bowl ad, which is slated to air at the start of the fourth quarter.

Salaam was one of 240 players who entered a league contest by telling a favorite story on camera. The finalists were posted on NFL.com, and more than 500,000 fans voted between November and Jan. 6. Salaam's story won, landing him and Pitts in the national spotlight...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5477100.html

good to see our boys get some face time.

Hardcore Texan
01-23-2008, 12:10 PM
That should be great, it's a funny story, almost unbeliveable, what are the chances that goes on to happen after bumping into each other outside of a grocery store.

Hardcore Texan
01-23-2008, 12:25 PM
"I think it is one of the better ads we have had in quite some time," said Rob Stecklow, the director of advertising for the NFL. "It's not a scripted ad. We didn't make it up. We didn't cast it up and get two guys who don't normally play this part. ...

"We're at a disadvantage, because we don't have a lot of talking animals, which usually play well in the Super Bowl. But we hope to give people a laugh and a smile, and ultimately make them feel good about the league and its players."

This part made me laugh. Two words.....Don Cheadle.

TEXANS84
01-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Awesome news that Salaam and Pitts story made it in. I thought personally that it was one of the best storys on there.

I thought for sure the Hasselbeck ad would have made it for sure, but they aired it during the Seahawks/Redskins game.

Texan_Bill
01-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Awesome news that Salaam and Pitts story made it in. I thought personally that it was one of the best storys on there.

I thought for sure the Hasselbeck ad would have made it for sure, but they aired it during the Seahawks/Redskins game.

If it was the Hassleback story where he finally got fan mail, but it was a request for him to get Favres autograph for the fan.... that was hilarious!!

Congrats to Salaam and Chester!!

headsplint
01-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Will they be airing the same commercial or will there be some changes made to it?

HoustonFrog
01-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Here is the NFL thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7XjZUtPYbA

Will they be airing the same commercial or will there be some changes made to it?

Sounds like from the article it will be another commercial at a grocery store..they said they got treated right and had trailers and all..both of them

SuperTexan
01-23-2008, 04:05 PM
Good stuff. I've always like Pitts and Salaam seems like good people too.

LonerATO
01-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Thats great I voted for Salaam so many times his was the best

tulexan
01-23-2008, 05:01 PM

They might have Salaam telling the story via voice over while both of them act out the scene.

hot pickle
01-23-2008, 05:06 PM
thats a sweet story.. i didnt know thats wat inspired chester to play.. but i want a car-vette to.. lol

austintexanite
01-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Congrats, I voted for them back in December. Pretty funny story.

GP
01-24-2008, 08:31 AM
While I am glad that our guy(s) are getting the Super Bowl spot, I didn't think that the story was all that great. Would have been good to have had Ephraim and Chester side-by-side with both guys telling the story. I just felt the story was a little flat with Ephraim doing the story by himself. It needed Chester in it.

Hasselbeck is a GREAT story teller, and I think he has a promising future in NFL broadcasting when he's done with playing football. He'd make a great color commentary guy. Every time he tells a story, I am chuckling a little.

Anyways...congrats to Ephraim/Pitts.

"That's ONE MORE for the good guys!"

The Pencil Neck
01-24-2008, 10:18 AM
While I am glad that our guy(s) are getting the Super Bowl spot, I didn't think that the story was all that great. Would have been good to have had Ephraim and Chester side-by-side with both guys telling the story. I just felt the story was a little flat with Ephraim doing the story by himself. It needed Chester in it.

Actually, I think they're going to re-shoot it with both of them telling the story.

Maddict5
01-24-2008, 10:33 AM

Hasselbeck is a GREAT story teller, and I think he has a promising future in NFL broadcasting when he's done with playing football. He'd make a great color commentary guy. Every time he tells a story, I am chuckling a little.

Anyways...congrats to Ephraim/Pitts.

"That's ONE MORE for the good guys!"

lol agreed

after the hawks beat the skins in the WC to meet GB in the division, he went up to the podium: 'alright first things first about the GB game, WE WANT THE BALL AND WE'RE GONNA SCORE!!' i love a guy that can make fun of himself

HoustonFrog
02-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Great spot. I loved it last night. Pitss as the grocery guy was hilarious.

TheIronDuke
02-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Here's the version from the Super Bowl.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aPLX_ckw0G4

Hardcore Texan
02-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Here's the version from the Super Bowl.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aPLX_ckw0G4

Thanks for the link.

False Start
02-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Thats my boy ! Good stuff there .

eriadoc
02-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Part of it was the overall lack of quality commercials, and part of it was the homer in me, but this was definitely my favorite commercial.

WesmanTexanfan
02-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Part of it was the overall lack of quality commercials, and part of it was the homer in me, but this was definitely my favorite commercial.

ya, mine as well, maybe homerish like you say but the commercials were overall garbage this year....

Dread-Head
02-04-2008, 12:25 PM
I would not have seen Chester Pitts playing the OBOE! A Bassoon perhaps a saxaphone MAYVE, but not an Oboe. He's actually pretty good.

b0ng
02-04-2008, 12:33 PM
I would not have seen Chester Pitts playing the OBOE! A Bassoon perhaps a saxaphone MAYVE, but not an Oboe. He's actually pretty good.

It wasn't him actually playing in the commercial. Apparently that one was out of tune.

But I think that the commercials this year were so-so and that the Pitts/Salaam commercial was definitely a highlight.

I thought just about all of the car commercials this year were terrible.

Texans_Chick
02-04-2008, 02:51 PM
My write up on the Texans ad:

The Making of the NFL Super Ad (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/02/04/the-making-of-the-nfl-super-ad/)

That ad is an illustration that reality and Hollywood are incapatible. That no matter the story, Hollywood types will exaggerate it.

For example, just about any time on a reality show they get someone to tell their story, it is the bottled up story that sorta resembles reality but not really.

Was thinking about that the other day when I watched the movie Sargeant York on the on demand Turner Classic Movie channel. I was sort of familiar with the story of the movie about a World War I hero, and I was sick, so I figured I'd watch it. It's clearly made in an old timey way (and by watching it you can see how remarkably modern Citizen Kane looks in comparison--a movie that was made the same year). Even though it is old fashioned, it is an entertaining movie, but as with most biographies you should try to read the real story. There were all sorts of changes the movie made that were different than the real story. As it is with most Hollywood remodelings of things.

But I digress.

I thought most of the commercials this year stunk. I like the Texans commercial because I thought it accomplished what they wanted to do with it. My favorite was the Bud Light Jackie Moon ad:

Best Super Bowl Commercial: Bud Light Jackie Moon Ad (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/02/04/best-super-bowl-commercial-bud-light-jackie-moon-ad/)

In other words, out of all the commercials, which ad would be worth forwarding?

ensign_lee
02-04-2008, 03:15 PM
The Texans superbowl ad made my day. :D

ensign_lee
02-04-2008, 03:16 PM
anybody have the link for all the ones submitted by all the players for consideration?

powerfuldragon
02-04-2008, 03:36 PM
I thought just about all of the car commercials this year were terrible.

... i dunno, that audi was the sex.

powerfuldragon
02-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Audi R8:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/TheKingOfBums/audi-03.jpg
it's commercial was the take on godfather where they put a hit on our old concept of a luxury car.

AnthonyE
02-04-2008, 04:17 PM
anybody have the link for all the ones submitted by all the players for consideration?

http://superad.nfl.com

They'll show the new Salaam/Pitts ad, but if you look to the right, you'll see "Round 1" and "Round 2". click those.

WesmanTexanfan
02-04-2008, 04:21 PM

The Making of the NFL Super Ad (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/02/04/the-making-of-the-nfl-super-ad/)

That ad is an illustration that reality and Hollywood are incapatible. That no matter the story, Hollywood types will exaggerate it.

For example, just about any time on a reality show they get someone to tell their story, it is the bottled up story that sorta resembles reality but not really.

Was thinking about that the other day when I watched the movie Sargeant York on the on demand Turner Classic Movie channel. I was sort of familiar with the story of the movie about a World War I hero, and I was sick, so I figured I'd watch it. It's clearly made in an old timey way (and by watching it you can see how remarkably modern Citizen Kane looks in comparison--a movie that was made the same year). Even though it is old fashioned, it is an entertaining movie, but as with most biographies you should try to read the real story. There were all sorts of changes the movie made that were different than the real story. As it is with most Hollywood remodelings of things.

But I digress.

I thought most of the commercials this year stunk. I like the Texans commercial because I thought it accomplished what they wanted to do with it. My favorite was the Bud Light Jackie Moon ad:

Best Super Bowl Commercial: Bud Light Jackie Moon Ad (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/02/04/best-super-bowl-commercial-bud-light-jackie-moon-ad/)

ummmm................what??

I cant tell if i hate this post or if im annoyed by it, or maybe im missing the point, but oh well:cowboy1:

AnthonyE
02-04-2008, 04:27 PM

But I digress.

Good post, very true.

And rofl! I have to agree, that was the best one.

I also liked the baby E-Trade one and the Giant mouse Doritos commercial.

Texans_Chick
02-04-2008, 05:10 PM
ummmm................what??

I cant tell if i hate this post or if im annoyed by it, or maybe im missing the point, but oh well:cowboy1:

I guess d. You didn't understand it because you didn't click on the links, and it is more than a couple sentences long so you skimmed and didn't get it.

In a sound bite society, we often hate or get annoyed with those things that actually involve thinking.

Here's the Cliff Notes:

1. The Texans Salaam/Pitts ad is not the real story of what happened, but the Hollywood version of their story. If you watch the behind the scenes video, you can see Pitts complaining about the exaggerations in the story. This sort of thing happens all the time in biographies and reality TV things.

2. Most of the Super Bowl ads this year sucked. I liked the Will Ferrell one.

Probably still too long and annoying for you. Sorry.

WesmanTexanfan
02-04-2008, 05:32 PM
I guess d. You didn't understand it because you didn't click on the links, and it is more than a couple sentences long so you skimmed and didn't get it.

In a sound bite society, we often hate or get annoyed with those things that actually involve thinking.

Here's the Cliff Notes:

1. The Texans Salaam/Pitts ad is not the real story of what happened, but the Hollywood version of their story. If you watch the behind the scenes video, you can see Pitts complaining about the exaggerations in the story. This sort of thing happens all the time in biographies and reality TV things.

2. Most of the Super Bowl ads this year sucked. I liked the Will Ferrell one.

Probably still too long and annoying for you. Sorry.

wow, ME gettin bashed by the media, thats a first... and a cheap shot at the end, Nice!

I watched the video yesterday thank you very much, not everyone HAS to enjoy your posts, I agree the commercials overall where "out there" and the majority of them wern't that good. I believe it was your first statement that got me, because i think they did an excelent job of telling the story...

So BACK OFF

Texans_Chick
02-04-2008, 08:54 PM
wow, ME gettin bashed by the media, thats a first... and a cheap shot at the end, Nice!

I watched the video yesterday thank you very much, not everyone HAS to enjoy your posts, I agree the commercials overall where "out there" and the majority of them wern't that good. I believe it was your first statement that got me, because i think they did an excelent job of telling the story...

So BACK OFF

A few thoughts:

a. I am not media.

b. I am a fan.

c. You were the one that singled out my post and said you hate and/or were annoyed by it and/or didn't get it. I suggested that you didn't understand what I wrote.

d. It was not my intent to bash you.

e. It is clear you didn't understand what I wrote given your most recent post. I didn't say that I didn't like the ad. Or I didn't like how they told the story. What I was saying is if you saw the behind the scenes video, you would know that the story as told in the video is not the way things happened. It is an exaggerated version of the story.

Just like the movie of Sargeant York's WWI heroics doesn't reflect what actually happened. Or any time you hear the backstory of some reality program person, know it is just a stereotype of their life and probably not what actually happened. Hollywood wants to simplify and exaggerate stories to make them more entertaining. That's what they do.

Pitts in the behind the scenes video took umbrage at the notion that he was "just" a grocery sacker and had no dreams.

If you watched just the ad, you might think that Pitts was actually playing the Oboe in it.

Or that Salaam didn't know Pitts before seeing him as a grocery sacker. Actually, Kyle Turley is now claiming that he was the one that convinced Pitts to play football, though that isn't in the behind the scenes video.

So, in sum:

a. I liked the ad.
b. I also know that the ad doesn't reflect what actually happened. It's an exaggerated version of the story. That's what Hollywood does.
c. That is all I was saying.
d. Have a lovely day. :cool:

WesmanTexanfan
02-04-2008, 09:41 PM
A few thoughts:

a. I am not media.

b. I am a fan.

c. You were the one that singled out my post and said you hate and/or were annoyed by it and/or didn't get it. I suggested that you didn't understand what I wrote.

d. It was not my intent to bash you.

e. It is clear you didn't understand what I wrote given your most recent post. I didn't say that I didn't like the ad. Or I didn't like how they told the story. What I was saying is if you saw the behind the scenes video, you would know that the story as told in the video is not the way things happened. It is an exaggerated version of the story.

Just like the movie of Sargeant York's WWI heroics doesn't reflect what actually happened. Or any time you hear the backstory of some reality program person, know it is just a stereotype of their life and probably not what actually happened. Hollywood wants to simplify and exaggerate stories to make them more entertaining. That's what they do.

Pitts in the behind the scenes video took umbrage at the notion that he was "just" a grocery sacker and had no dreams.

If you watched just the ad, you might think that Pitts was actually playing the Oboe in it.

Or that Salaam didn't know Pitts before seeing him as a grocery sacker. Actually, Kyle Turley is now claiming that he was the one that convinced Pitts to play football, though that isn't in the behind the scenes video.

So, in sum:

a. I liked the ad.
b. I also know that the ad doesn't reflect what actually happened. It's an exaggerated version of the story. That's what Hollywood does.
c. That is all I was saying.
d. Have a lovely day. :cool:

Ok, Go Texans!! :fans:

Texans_Chick
02-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Ok, Go Texans!! :fans:

Exactly!!!!!:fans:

hot pickle
02-04-2008, 10:28 PM
i liked the original one with just ephraim better... were he just told the story.. but still a good story

TexanSam
02-04-2008, 10:48 PM

I watched the video on the website, but I thought it was Ephraim exaggerating the story not the commercial makers/Hollywood? I thought Pitts said that Kyle Turley was also involved in having him try out for the football team but that he's keeping the entire story under wraps in case he wants to write a book about it (the book part was probably in jest, the rest I'm not so sure).

Texans_Chick
02-05-2008, 09:28 AM
I watched the video on the website, but I thought it was Ephraim exaggerating the story not the commercial makers/Hollywood? I thought Pitts said that Kyle Turley was also involved in having him try out for the football team but that he's keeping the entire story under wraps in case he wants to write a book about it (the book part was probably in jest, the rest I'm not so sure).

And Hollywood likes the more exaggerated story, so even with Pitts saying that's not the way things were, they went with Ephraam's version.

And of course, I am sure the conversations between the two didn't go the way they did on the commercials. "Oboe, it's a member of the woodwind family."

Hollywood does the exaggerated version because if reality programming was real, it would be boring.

Dramatizations of real events are rarely a reflection of reality because reality is usually boring and subtle and complicated and that doesn't make for good TV.

tulexan
02-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Of course Hollywood is going to exaggerate the story. The point of the commercial was to tell an interesting story in an entertaining way. The commercial probably wouldn't have been made if they told the story the way it actually happened and I think Chester doesn't really care either. Better to be in a Super Bowl commercial about yourself telling an exaggerated story than not to be in one at all.

Texans_Chick
02-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Of course Hollywood is going to exaggerate the story. The point of the commercial was to tell an interesting story in an entertaining way. The commercial probably wouldn't have been made if they told the story the way it actually happened and I think Chester doesn't really care either. Better to be in a Super Bowl commercial about yourself telling an exaggerated story than not to be in one at all.

As I said, it wasn't a complaint about the ad but more of an observation.

YellerLotYeller
02-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Chester and Salaam were just on Ellen.....pretty good stuff.

HoustonFrog
02-07-2008, 12:26 PM

I wanted to know if someone saw it. How did they do?

AnthonyE
02-07-2008, 03:43 PM

Ah, yeah. I heard. Didn't get a chance to see though. :(

What'd they talk about?

Texan_Bill
02-07-2008, 03:50 PM

I wanted to know if someone saw it. How did they do?

Ah, yeah. I heard. Didn't get a chance to see though. :(

What'd they talk about?

I wanna know:
a) Why is Yeller is watching Ellen to begin with?? and,
b) why Frog and AnthonyE are interested???

:pirate:

:jk:

powerfuldragon
02-07-2008, 04:09 PM
'cuz she makes out with chicks, dude.

Texan_Bill
02-07-2008, 04:19 PM
'cuz she makes out with chicks, dude.

LMAO!!!

That would be cool, if she didn't look like the guy in gym class that everyone picked on... I mean her kissing a chick doesn't exactly conjure up, say Tiffany Amber Thiessen and Jaime Pressley, or Brit and Maddonna, etc., etc....

:splits:

YellerLotYeller
02-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Dude, I watch Ellen everyday.....j/k. I saw a commercial for it while I was watching the news at lunch. Pitts and Salaam talked about the story behind the super ad. They said it was voted the #1 SB commercial on some poll. Also Salaam gave her a signed Texans jersey, and they were both decent dancers.

TEXANRED
02-07-2008, 08:35 PM
I will help you guys out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXTYmR5UTZE

Figured someone would have put it on youtube by now.

This was funny stuff.

Chester looks like he is slimming down to play guard in Gibbs' system. He is usually a little rounder. Even Salaam looks to have slimmed down.

I thought Salaam was a FA this year?

AnthonyE
02-07-2008, 10:02 PM
I will help you guys out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXTYmR5UTZE

Figured someone would have put it on youtube by now.

This was funny stuff.

Chester looks like he is slimming down to play guard in Gibbs' system. He is usually a little rounder. Even Salaam looks to have slimmed down.

I thought Salaam was a FA this year?
Maybe his agent and the Texans have already been talking.

Thanks for the vid. :D

drewmar74
02-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Interesting. Apparently our positive reviews of the commercial weren't seen through "homer-colored" glasses.

"Though an earlier survey by TiVo showed that E*Trade's Super Bowl ad was the most viewed, new data from IAG Research claims the NFL's Chester Pitts ad was the most liked and FedEx's carrier pigeon ad was the most recalled. E*Trade's ad featuring a talking baby scored high, netting No. 7 on the "most viewed" and No. 8 on "most recalled" lists. IAG, New York, bases its findings on 18,000 surveys with people who watched Sunday's telecast. The NFL's ad, about a Houston Texans player named Chester Pitts who was discovered bagging groceries by fellow Texan Ephraim Salaam, performed 72% better than the average Super Bowl ad."

http://www.brandweek.com/bw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003708015

GlassHalfFull
02-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Salaam needs to do stand up comedy when his football career is over. :lion:

HoustonFrog
02-11-2008, 10:22 AM
I wanna know:
a) Why is Yeller is watching Ellen to begin with?? and,
b) why Frog and AnthonyE are interested???

:pirate:

:jk:

Just saw this...interested in what they have to say..lol

I did see that she had them on the red carpet of the grammys as correspondents......and no I wasn't watching the red carpet..it was in the Chronicle today.:)

Wolf
02-11-2008, 10:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaB2ajJ1lZ0&feature=related

john mccain asks kyle

b0ng
02-11-2008, 10:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaB2ajJ1lZ0&feature=related

john mccain asks kyle

It's literally just like Salaam's story, but has enough subtle differences to think that he got discovered by both guys. So has Chester ever said who talked to him first?

Wolf
03-24-2008, 09:02 PM
they will be back
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_orlando/2008/03/jonas-brothers.html

The Ellen DeGeneres Show will be taping episodes again this week at Universal Orlando's CityWalk.

Noon show, Friday, March 28: Florida's own Flo Rida ("Low"), Comedian Jeff Foxworthy (who wrote a children's book called "Dirt on My Shirt") and NFL players Chester Pitts and Ephraim Salaam, who are said to be DeGeneres' favorite football players. They're with the Houston Texans.

AnthonyE
03-24-2008, 10:15 PM
they will be back
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_orlando/2008/03/jonas-brothers.html

That's awesome to know, thanks. :D

TexanSam
03-24-2008, 11:00 PM
They should give Ellen a customized Texans jersey!

CT CSTM
03-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Talking to Chester the other day he told me he was also going to be on the sitcom(I think its a sitcom, I haven't seen it before) on the CW "The Game". He didn't mention if E was going to be on it as well but he was in HWood when I talked to him out there filming it. IIRC he said it was going to be the April 4th episode so stay tuned!

The Superbowl ad has really exploded for him and his name, he's very grateful and taking it all in stride, he's good people!