PDA

View Full Version : 49ers News: Mike Singletary Could Be Eying Texans(theory)

Wolf
01-21-2008, 04:08 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7134-NFL-Houston_Texans-San_Francisco_49ers-49ers_News_Mike_Singletary_Could_Be_Eying_Texans
San Francisco 49ers assistant coach Mike Singletary has never really gotten a bone thrown to him despite all of the teams that have courted him to become a head coach. But then again, Baylor University, Singletary's alma mater, wanted to bring him in, the Hall of Famer declined.

It's rather clear he's holding out for a head coaching job in the NFL. But two questions come to mind: 1. How long will it be?; 2. Who will hire him?

One theory I contrived is that Singletary is possibly awaiting an opening with the Texans.

That's not too much of a stretch to think about, given that Singletary is originally from Houston and Matt Singletary, his son, is only 185 miles away in Waco as a freshman defensive end for Baylor. Furthermore, another of his children, Karen, also attends Baylor.

Lots of family right there, which is certainly appealing to Singletary, an ordained minister.

Singletary will have to learn to sell himself. When he stated, "I know I'm not a natural salesman. I'm just too honest," it's clear he's a modest, humble guy. That's expected from a man of Singletary's fine character. Still, he must realize the importance of self-promotion if he is to land any head coaching position, college or NFL. If he can learn that skill, it will be a huge step toward closing the deal during interviews.

At a glance, the Texans are 14-18 under two-year coach Gary Kubiak, whose first season was a poor 6-10 but last season witness an 8-8 record, the club's best since its 2002 inception. Given Houston's improvement, there may be an expectation of a double-digit-win season and a playoff berth in '08. If Kubiak doesn't get it done, who knows? A nosedive could mean the promising coach will be unemployed a year from now.

Maybe it wouldn't even take a head coaching offer to pique Singletary's interest, though. If the Texans' defense remains poor next season, it's possible coordinator Richard Smith's job may be in jeopardy. Should that happen and Smith is fired as a result, that could lead to an interest in Singletary as the replacement, which would give him the coveted coordinator experience that he may need on his résumé.

However, this is all just theory. One thing's for certain: Singletary has gained a good head of steam in NFL coaching circles and has a knack for connecting with players. It will be a matter of when—not if—he leaves San Francisco and lands a head coaching position.

I was hoping a position as a defensive Coordinator

Rex King
01-21-2008, 04:19 PM
Contrived theory is apt IMO. It would have helped his case if he would have served as a D coordinator somewhere. If his ultimate goal is to be an NFL head coach, the route may be faster staying in the pros than going the college route. If he/his team had flopped at Baylor, it would have set his career back.

Lucky
01-21-2008, 04:20 PM
I was hoping a position as a defensive Coordinator
It's not like the Niners defense has set the league on fire. They've finished behind the Texans in total defense the past 3 seasons.

TexanSam
01-21-2008, 04:23 PM
If the Texans don't improve on their 8-8 season next season, I don't think Kubiak would get fired unless we absolutely imploded and, god forbid, had another season like the 2-14 one.

Wolf
01-21-2008, 04:25 PM
It's not like the Niners defense has set the league on fire. They've finished behind the Texans in total defense the past 3 seasons.

which is true, looks like Nolan is doing kinda what Kubiak is doing here

here we have bush and smith

49ers have Singletary and assistant coach/defense with Greg Manusky as DC(2007)
http://www.sf49ers.com/team/coaches.php?section=TE+Coaches

:hmmm:

Texan_Bill
01-21-2008, 04:26 PM
I know Mike Singletary will make a great coach someday, but really, he's not all that experienced right now. He carries an Assistant HC title, but really he's just the Linebackers coach with no defensive coordinator experience yet...

Double Barrel
01-21-2008, 04:29 PM
I like Singletary and have great respect for his HoF career. However, those things do not necessarily mean that he'll make a good coach. I have often wondered why he keeps getting overlooked, and maybe it's just that inability to sell himself.

AnthonyE
01-21-2008, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't mind hiring him right now for D-Coordinator.

And maybe if Gibbs leaves give him Assistant HC, and then give him the opportunity to HC for us if something goes terribly wrong.

TexanSam
01-21-2008, 05:14 PM
I know Mike Singletary will make a great coach someday, but really, he's not all that experienced right now. He carries an Assistant HC title, but really he's just the Linebackers coach with no defensive coordinator experience yet...

That's not always necessarily a requirement it seems. John Harbaugh was just hired as HC of the Ravens when he'd spent all but one of his coaching tenure coaching the special teams unit of the Eagles. I think he was a secondary coach last season. And I think Jack Del Rio went straight from being a linebackers coach to the HC of the Jags.

WesmanTexanfan
01-21-2008, 05:27 PM
OMG...... It would be a dream come true for mike singletary to be our defensive coordinator, i went to baylor for 2 years and my dad went there and used to work forem so green n gold is in my blood.... and with that comes soooooooo much love for this man, plus as you al know this board is not a big supporter of DC richard smith, so this would be sooooo sweet!!!

what are the chances?

WesmanTexanfan
01-21-2008, 05:31 PM

ya but i think he would be highly motivated with all this talent here on D and the fact that its his hometown, im not saying he would be awesome or horrible but i think he would take full advantage of the chance....

ChildressTitanMan
01-21-2008, 06:14 PM
To be fair to him the 49ers progress has been hurt by poor showings from Alex Smith rather than their defense.

He's hurt them & also Vernon Davis hasn't lived up to his hype either.

Texans Horror
01-21-2008, 06:52 PM
I think even if Richard Smith was let go, Frank Bush would be the Texans' first choice since Kubiak was after Frank Bush when he first came here. No offense to Mike Singletary. I'm sure he'll do well, but I don't think his road will take him through Houston.

Second Honeymoon
01-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Richard Smith Sucks

thank you and good night

awtysst
01-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Why don't we fire Richard Smith, promote Frank Bush, and hire Mike Singletary?

TexansLucky13
01-21-2008, 09:19 PM
I have to say, it would be awesome to see one of the greatest LB's of all time coaching one of the best active LB's in the NFL.

Studdard64
01-21-2008, 10:34 PM
I feel what you're saying about DeMeco, but I'd imagine any LB coach would be more than happy to have a chance to help develop Patrick Willis.

b0ng
01-22-2008, 08:51 AM
I feel what you're saying about DeMeco, but I'd imagine any LB coach would be more than happy to have a chance to help develop Patrick Willis.
Patrick Willis and Manny Lawson.

9'ers LB package is fearsome

Texan_Bill
01-22-2008, 09:24 AM
That's not always necessarily a requirement it seems. John Harbaugh was just hired as HC of the Ravens when he'd spent all but one of his coaching tenure coaching the special teams unit of the Eagles. I think he was a secondary coach last season. And I think Jack Del Rio went straight from being a linebackers coach to the HC of the Jags.

You are correct.... well, to a certain degree - except that Singletary first started coaching in 2003. John Harbaugh, brother of Jim started his coaching career (albeit college) in 1984 and is also the son of a coach.....

Experience:
Harbaugh>Singletary.

Lucky
01-22-2008, 11:10 AM
ya but i think he would be highly motivated with all this talent here on D and the fact that its his hometown, im not saying he would be awesome or horrible but i think he would take full advantage of the chance....
Singletary is Assistant Head Coach for the Niners. That means that San Francisco can deny another team from hiring him, unless they are offering the head coaching position.

So, Singletary will not become the Texans defensive coordinator in the near future (until his contract expires, or he is fired). Period. End of subject. Nuff said. Finito.

Texan_Bill
01-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Singletary is Assistant Head Coach for the Niners. That means that San Francisco can deny another team from hiring him, unless they are offering the head coaching position.

So, Singletary will not become the Texans defensive coordinator in the near future (until his contract expires, or he is fired). Period. End of subject. Nuff said. Finito.

Just to be clear.. Singletary could accept a position equal to or greater than his current position. For example if the (team 'x') wants to hire Singletary, then the least position they could offer him is as assistant head coach, and defensive coordinator... correct?? (meaning the equal to or greater position)?

badboy
01-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Just to be clear.. Singletary could accept a position equal to or greater than his current position. For example if the (team 'x') wants to hire Singletary, then the least position they could offer him is as assistant head coach, and defensive coordinator... correct?? (meaning the equal to or greater position)?I think that is correct but the team he works for must agree to let him out of contract.

bluejazz87
01-25-2008, 04:27 AM
To be fair to him the 49ers progress has been hurt by poor showings from Alex Smith rather than their defense.

He's hurt them & also Vernon Davis hasn't lived up to his hype either.

Well...to be fair to Davis, he hasn't really had a supporting cast to help his case out. The only thing that's been an issue for him is drops. But with his other abilities he's showcased, including being a good blocker, it really isn't that big of a deal.

bluejazz87
01-25-2008, 04:29 AM

Singletary hasn't really been in charge of our defense during his tenure though.