PDA

View Full Version : Most Underused Players

Ali4Real
01-21-2008, 12:41 PM
I was wondering about the Texans, why don't we use the fullback (Vonta Leach) and Owen Daniels more often. I feel that both of these players can help us out in the passing game as well as get the pressure off of Andre Johnson. Most teams that we play cover AJ and sometimes play "relaxed" against our other WRs.

I feel that we need to pass more to Vonta Leach, Owen Daniels, and Kevin Walters (Who I think can become anohter TJ Houshmanzadeh for us).

What do u guys think?

http://www.austinchronicle.com/binary/09f3bc64/Owen_Daniels.jpg

nero THE zero
01-21-2008, 12:53 PM
I think Vonta gets his share of catches. He has fairly reliable hands but you can count on one hand the number of times he's broken a tackle after making a catch. He usually catches it in the flat and is immediately taken down for a small gain. Nothing impressive and nothing I think warrants more plays targeting him.

I do agree about OD though. He really didn't see much action, especially in the red zone, early in the season. Though in the latter parts of the season he started to get more looks. I don't know what factored into it (play calling, AJ's injury, Sage vs Matt at QB, etc) but I hope we can keep it up going into next season.

badboy
01-21-2008, 01:59 PM
I think Vonta gets his share of catches. He has fairly reliable hands but you can count on one hand the number of times he's broken a tackle after making a catch. He usually catches it in the flat and is immediately taken down for a small gain. Nothing impressive and nothing I think warrants more plays targeting him.

I do agree about OD though. He really didn't see much action, especially in the red zone, early in the season. Though in the latter parts of the season he started to get more looks. I don't know what factored into it (play calling, AJ's injury, Sage vs Matt at QB, etc) but I hope we can keep it up going into next season.I disagree only in saying I do not expect the FB to run for many yards after the catch; but as an escape valve dump off, he should see more passes. If he can pick up 3-5 per catch and prevent a sack or busted play, he will be successfull. ALso, next season having the D focusing on WR AJ & AD long, Walter and Jacoby mid-range and TE wherever, the FB should occasionally be lost in the shuffle and catch a first down or two. We should have a pretty good arsenal for our QBs and maybe a new back also.

If our new offense does not eat up a lot more grass, something will be wrong in Denver er Houston.

WesmanTexanfan
01-21-2008, 02:03 PM
Play Zach Diles!!!!

Specnatz
01-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Play Zach Diles!!!!

Psst, he is a defensive player. Just thought you would want to know that before you stick your foot in your mouth.

WesmanTexanfan
01-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Psst, he is a defensive player. Just thought you would want to know that before you stick your foot in your mouth.

yes, i am aware,mlb from k state, though he should move outside cuz i want to see him play more, did i miss somthing? he is an "underused player" IMO

Specnatz
01-21-2008, 02:40 PM
yes, i am aware,mlb from k state, though he should move outside cuz i want to see him play more, did i miss somthing? he is an "underused player" IMO

OK, but the last several post were about offense and using FB and you just shouted out Zach Diles, without anything else said about how you wanted him used more.

WesmanTexanfan
01-21-2008, 03:04 PM
OK, but the last several post were about offense and using FB and you just shouted out Zach Diles, without anything else said about how you wanted him used more.

My B, sometimes i see titles of threads and just post a response to that.....

Goldensilence
01-21-2008, 03:05 PM

Reminds me of JohnsonFan.

Texan_Bill
01-21-2008, 03:08 PM

Funny.... I was just about to 'ask Brakos' if Wesman TexanFan was really JohnsonFan.... :)

WesmanTexanfan
01-21-2008, 03:08 PM

because i answer the damn thread title? you guys are freakin rediculous, Owen daniels gets used as much as he can, vonte is good but he funbled like every other possesion and ZACH DILES shoulda been played more says me and some guy named gary kubiak.... geeeezz

WesmanTexanfan
01-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Funny.... I was just about to 'ask Brakos' if Wesman TexanFan was really JohnsonFan.... :)

what does this mean? is johnson fan a stat machine like me or somthing?

Texan_Bill
01-21-2008, 03:10 PM
what does this mean? is johnson fan a stat machine like me or somthing?

Because your 'guerilla style' posting reminds us of JohnsonFan... That's all.

WesmanTexanfan
01-21-2008, 03:13 PM

ahhhh..... i do some eratic posting indeed....

i do think its stupid that homeboy reminded everyone what side of the ball zach plays on..... i remind everyone this thread is titled "MOST UNDERUSED PLAYERS" like zach diles this last year...

whe you assume you make an a$$ out of U and ME.....

Goldensilence
01-21-2008, 03:18 PM

You forgot the top notch spelling skills....er skillz.

WesmanTexanfan
01-21-2008, 03:21 PM
You forgot the top notch spelling skills....er skillz.

haha lol, im of the younger generation where spelling is not important anymore, no sarcasm.... it really isnt stressed in school that much at all. plus i personnaly dont care for grammer:shades:

hadaad
01-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Really?

WesmanTexanfan
01-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Really?

ya,expression and creativity are more important and they want you to spell correctly but it isnt as important as it once was(basein this on how my dad was taught) and as for gramer, thats out the window.. "you cant alwasy express yourself and your writting with proper grammer" is kinda the saying behind that.... to be honest i kinda wish they did teach it more, also HISD sucks...... sooooo....

drewmar74
01-21-2008, 03:31 PM
haha lol, im of the younger generation where spelling is not important anymore, no sarcasm.... it really isnt stressed in school that much at all. plus i personnaly dont care for grammer:shades:

Actually, I'm not that much older than you and I have to say that spelling and grammar really do still count in the business world. It's not a generational thing at all.

WesmanTexanfan
01-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Actually, I'm not that much older than you and I have to say that spelling and grammar really do still count in the business world. It's not a generational thing at all.

ummm 13 years is quite a bit..... and like i said HISD sucks, and im going into the sports radio Business sooo.. plus when im on a site like this i get lazy, as long as you know what i mean, i dont care how its spelled....

drewmar74
01-21-2008, 03:54 PM
ummm 13 years is quite a bit..... and like i said HISD sucks, and im going into the sports radio Business sooo.. plus when im on a site like this i get lazy, as long as you know what i mean, i dont care how its spelled....

13 years - not such a long time.

I'll concede the other points, though.

adam
01-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Unless I'm mistake, Owen Daniels lead the team in receptions this past season. Untill he washes the butter off of his fingers, I am content with his current role in the offense. I will agree about Leach though, the guy is a total monster who is surprisingly quick on his feet. I would like to see more full back action on the goal line.

Goldensilence
01-21-2008, 05:01 PM
ya,expression and creativity are more important and they want you to spell correctly but it isnt as important as it once was(basein this on how my dad was taught) and as for gramer, thats out the window.. "you cant alwasy express yourself and your writting with proper grammer" is kinda the saying behind that.... to be honest i kinda wish they did teach it more, also HISD sucks...... sooooo....

Ouch. I'm 25 and putting myself through college. It really puts a dent in the collective future clout our generation can attain when an attitude like this shown.

It's awesome that you want to go into sports radio but expecting to jump in without decent grammatical ability is pretty short sighted. I'm not here to preach on a soap box or anything. Just I kind of winced in pain when I saw that in typing.

TexanAddict
01-21-2008, 05:45 PM
I was wondering about the Texans, why don't we use the fullback (Vonta Leach) and Owen Daniels more often. I feel that both of these players can help us out in the passing game as well as get the pressure off of Andre Johnson. Most teams that we play cover AJ and sometimes play "relaxed" against our other WRs.

I feel that we need to pass more to Vonta Leach, Owen Daniels, and Kevin Walters (Who I think can become anohter TJ Houshmanzadeh for us).

What do u guys think?

http://www.austinchronicle.com/binary/09f3bc64/Owen_Daniels.jpg

Can't really see how OD can be considered underused when he was second on the team in receptions and had the 6th most receptions in the league among TEs. Now I could agree that he might deserve a few more chances in the red zone, but on the whole I don't believe he is being underutilized.

WesmanTexanfan
01-21-2008, 06:35 PM
Ouch. I'm 25 and putting myself through college. It really puts a dent in the collective future clout our generation can attain when an attitude like this shown.

It's awesome that you want to go into sports radio but expecting to jump in without decent grammatical ability is pretty short sighted. I'm not here to preach on a soap box or anything. Just I kind of winced in pain when I saw that in typing.

ya cuz i turn in papers that look like this...... :elle: with smilies n all, thanks for your concern but i know how to spell, it just isnt important here.... AT ALL

edit: plus i spilled water on my keyboard a couple years ago and sometimes buttons dont work... and my dad corrects me all the time and correcting people is rude, so grammer and correct english is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over rated IMO... and most other writers, shakespear didnt use punctuation...

maddogmrb
01-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Geez, why can't we stay on subject and not resort to spending 2/3 of a thread in personal attacks?

I agree with Adam in that I would like to see Leach get the ball more in short yardage situations.

I think Daniels could be used a little more in the red zone and out of the backfield.

I would like to see Andre Davis' talents used more at WR.

I would like to see them work Jacoby Jones in more.

Zack Diles would be good to see a little more of.

I would like to see them scrap the John Abatte fullback thing and give him a legit shot at LB.

I'm hoping Chris Taylor can stay healthy and take up where he left off.

Driessen, the TE, looked good at the end of the season, let's see what he can do, too.

Give some of the young OL's a legit shot.

:texflag:

ATX
01-21-2008, 08:00 PM

Dude, grammar and spelling are extremely important if you want to get anywhere in life. Sure you may slip through and be the exception, but for the most part it's important. Now grammar on a message board may not be that important, but keep this message in mind. Ok, back to football talk.

:rant:

sakebomb
01-21-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm for playing Diles more as well.

Bubbajwp
01-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah.

The end.

The Pencil Neck
01-21-2008, 08:58 PM
and my dad corrects me all the time and correcting people is rude, so grammer and correct english is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over rated IMO... and most other writers, shakespear didnt use punctuation...

Correcting people is helpful.

Without grammar and "correct" English, then you can't communicate. There are posts of some people on here, like yours, that are at times almost impossible to decipher. If you're trying to talk to people and you want to say something to them that's important, then you should re-think your attitude on the emphasis of proper language.

And if you think Shakespeare didn't use punctuation, you should back away from the crack pipe. Why do you think that Shakespeare didn't use punctuation? Show me one piece of Shakespeare's without punctuation?

ItsAMarioParty
01-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Actually whether or not Shakespeare used punctuation or not is pretty widely debated. Most think later authors added the punctuation that Shakespeare didn't want to use so I wouldn't be so quick to denounce what he's saying.

Also 13 years is a long time when you're comparing your age with someone in high school or just out.

And lastly spelling, grammar and punctuation, while nice to see used well, are really not that important on an internet message board.

Oh and I would like to see some of the young linemen thrown out into the action and sink or swim

Wolf
01-22-2008, 12:36 AM
I want to see Weaver get more sacks and disrupt the passing game

I don't think it falls under underused but we aren't getting bang for our buck

The Pencil Neck
01-22-2008, 12:38 AM
Actually whether or not Shakespeare used punctuation or not is pretty widely debated. Most think later authors added the punctuation that Shakespeare didn't want to use so I wouldn't be so quick to denounce what he's saying.

Also 13 years is a long time when you're comparing your age with someone in high school or just out.

And lastly spelling, grammar and punctuation, while nice to see used well, are really not that important on an internet message board.

Oh and I would like to see some of the young linemen thrown out into the action and sink or swim

Can you post a link to one of these Shakespeare punctuation debates? I've seen it argued whether Shakespeare actually wrote all the works attributed to him and I've seen were punctuation and spelling was changed by later transcriptions but I've never, ever seen anything say that Shakespeare didn't use punctuation. I've heard that Shakespeare used punctuation to heighten the effect of iambic pentameter in places but I've never heard, except on this board, that he didn't use any punctuation at all. So... I'm not saying I don't believe you but... I don't believe you. I even did a quick search and I don't see anything about it.

i dissagre dat splln and gramer r nt impotent on dis o ne mb i haz seen sum bat spllrs hear an uthur mbs an if u right rong u gets know respcet cuz u luk stuupid iz hrd to reed an y buthr. Srsly.

Over the years, I've been on a lot of boards and lists and forums and newsgroups. And while having "perfect" grammar and "perfect" spelling isn't important, making an attempt to write clearly is and grammar and spelling are important parts of writing intelligibly. Personally, if someone consistently writes unintelligibly, I start ignoring their posts or at least just glancing over them. If they aren't going to take the time to be able to put their thoughts on the screen clearly, why should I bother to take the time to try to figure out what they're trying to say? It's probably not worth it.

And I'm interested in seeing which of the "unknown" linemen on the team are going to get a chance to step up with Gibbs working with them. I don't think that Smithiak has been pulling these guys (Butler, Eslinger, Okobi, Stevenson, Frye, Butler) in just to cut them loose now and I find it interesting that Pitts is now showing up as a G/T on the roster on the website.

BigBull17
01-22-2008, 12:42 AM
[QUOTE=Ali4Real;828491]

What do u guys think?[QUOTE=Ali4Real;828491]

I will second the Zack Diles post. He should have seen more snaps at OLB. Dreesen was another guy who should have seen more play. And Ill argue Leech because he has no ball skills and fumbled a little too much for my taste. Hes good on the 1 yard line and as a blocker, nothing more.

wicked_wayz
01-22-2008, 04:22 AM
i know leach is a beast of a blocker but how about john abbate:thinking:

Specnatz
01-22-2008, 01:27 PM
i know leach is a beast of a blocker but how about john abbate:thinking:

He was on IR all season, kinda hard to use a guy who is on IR and also toknow exactly how well he will do as a FB. Especially since he did not play that position in college.

andre'
01-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Jones looked so good in preseason, but it didnt translate to regular season success. Maybe he will take a big step this offseason. I would like to see him get more touches.

nero THE zero
01-22-2008, 05:08 PM
I guess it depends who you ask if punctuation is important, but if you want a degree from an accredited institution you are going to have to know how to use punctuation.

I know if I'm reading a messageboard I will skip over anything that looks like it was written by a 4th grader.

maddogmrb
01-22-2008, 10:14 PM
I think the mods should delete any post not on topic.

Ron Dayne is a problem. He just doesn't have the talent to carry most of the load but, if you don't give him the carries, his mediocre performance suffers. If we give him the carries, it takes away from Walker & Taylor. Of course, Walker & Taylor haven't proven they can carry the load but, we won't know till we use 'em. :fans:

WesmanTexanfan
01-22-2008, 10:50 PM
Can you post a link to one of these Shakespeare punctuation debates? I've seen it argued whether Shakespeare actually wrote all the works attributed to him and I've seen were punctuation and spelling was changed by later transcriptions but I've never, ever seen anything say that Shakespeare didn't use punctuation. I've heard that Shakespeare used punctuation to heighten the effect of iambic pentameter in places but I've never heard, except on this board, that he didn't use any punctuation at all. So... I'm not saying I don't believe you but... I don't believe you. I even did a quick search and I don't see anything about it.

i dissagre dat splln and gramer r nt impotent on dis o ne mb i haz seen sum bat spllrs hear an uthur mbs an if u right rong u gets know respcet cuz u luk stuupid iz hrd to reed an y buthr. Srsly.

Over the years, I've been on a lot of boards and lists and forums and newsgroups. And while having "perfect" grammar and "perfect" spelling isn't important, making an attempt to write clearly is and grammar and spelling are important parts of writing intelligibly. Personally, if someone consistently writes unintelligibly, I start ignoring their posts or at least just glancing over them. If they aren't going to take the time to be able to put their thoughts on the screen clearly, why should I bother to take the time to try to figure out what they're trying to say? It's probably not worth it.

And I'm interested in seeing which of the "unknown" linemen on the team are going to get a chance to step up with Gibbs working with them. I don't think that Smithiak has been pulling these guys (Butler, Eslinger, Okobi, Stevenson, Frye, Butler) in just to cut them loose now and I find it interesting that Pitts is now showing up as a G/T on the roster on the website.

just some advice, judging people on how they spell isnt gunna get you very far, though i see your points, i think its kinda shallow.....

NitroGSXR
01-23-2008, 12:07 AM
I'd like to see the fellow who said that he just didn't like people touching his quarterback. That's just how he plays football.

Kasey Studdard.

I really don't know why he isn't being discussed too much here. Have you guys gone sour on him? I really liked what I saw from him during TC and in a couple of games. Can anyone give me some sort of insightful assessment of him? No links or talking heads necessary. Just from you as a fan's perspective.

WesmanTexanfan
01-23-2008, 12:08 AM
I'd like to see the fellow who said that he just didn't like people touching his quarterback. That's just how he plays football.

Kasey Studdard.

I really don't know why he isn't being discussed too much here. Have you guys gone sour on him? I really liked what I saw from him during TC and in a couple of games. Can anyone give me some sort of insightful assessment of him? No links or talking heads necessary. Just from you as a fan's perspective.

no, i think he is a freakin baller, part of one of the best college O-lines of all time, he has just been injured....... i def agree though

dc_txtech
01-23-2008, 03:48 AM
just some advice, judging people on how they spell isnt gunna get you very far, though i see your points, i think its kinda shallow.....

I will make sure to tell that to my English professor next time I turn in a paper.

As far as players I think were underused this year, I have to go with Fred Bennett. With all the problems we had at CB this year it would have been nice to have Bennett in there. I understand he was only a rookie but I really think we would have been better off with him in the lineup.

Tedc
01-23-2008, 06:59 AM
.. "you cant alwasy express yourself and your writting with proper grammer" ....

Whoa...Wesman, did you actually post this? Wow.

I want to see what Taylor can do at RB.

hot pickle
01-23-2008, 09:03 AM
i wanna see more jacoby jones...

powerfuldragon
01-23-2008, 10:31 AM
i can tell you who our most underused player should be... matt turk.

badboy
01-23-2008, 11:34 AM
i can tell you who our most underused player should be... matt turk.Now that is good right there. On Studdard, I think he has the potential but has to make the switch over to NFL. Know only what I've read about him and that Kubes is friends with his family. I do not see Kubes wasting a pick (even if it was a 6th) on a guy without talent. Studdard can be trained up imo. This next season will make or break our back- up guys & I will not be surprised if any or all are cut by Gibbs. I think we should be careful to not be overly optimistic on any player with only TC, pre-season and one or two games (usually a handful of plays)on a resume. Charles Spencer is a prime example. He could have been a HOF or a total bust as of the play before he had his leg broken by Mr. Dayne. Taylor is another example.

TEXANRED
01-23-2008, 12:01 PM
i can tell you who our most underused player should be... matt turk.

What!!???? I thought you liked kickers?

WesmanTexanfan
01-23-2008, 12:04 PM
Whoa...Wesman, did you actually post this? Wow.

I want to see what Taylor can do at RB.

quit hattin, mind ya business, pencil neck dealt with it......:texflag:

powerfuldragon
01-23-2008, 12:36 PM
What!!???? I thought you liked kickers?
i like not having to use them better.

Specnatz
01-23-2008, 01:20 PM
quit hattin, mind ya business, pencil neck dealt with it......:texflag:

Wes, just some friendly advice. Maybe you need to not talk to certain posters that way, especially if they are one of the most senior (I mean length of being here) members of the board. It does not serve a very good purpose. Ted said nothing wrong or dirogatory. All he said is I cant believe you posted that.

Which I am shocked by the way you post, maybe that is why I do not read most of what you post because it is a very hard read and I do not feel like trying to decode it.

WesmanTexanfan
01-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Wes, just some friendly advice. Maybe you need to not talk to certain posters that way, especially if they are one of the most senior (I mean length of being here) members of the board. It does not serve a very good purpose. Ted said nothing wrong or dirogatory. All he said is I cant believe you posted that.

Which I am shocked by the way you post, maybe that is why I do not read most of what you post because it is a very hard read and I do not feel like trying to decode it.

PENCIL NECK HANDLED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats the beauty of message boards you dont have to read it if you dont want to, yall get way to personal on here, thanks for your concern, but i take crap for it allllll the time, does anyone spell poorly on purpose? think about that..... thank you....really:thumbup

sakebomb
01-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Please take your stance on grammar to the "No Sports" thread. We are trying to talk football over in this thread.

TexansSeminole
01-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Michael Boulware and David Anderson.

I'd like to Anderson get a couple more catches, and confuse teams.

I never saw Boulware get significant play time. Not even over CC. Kind of confused by this.