PDA

View Full Version : How many changes?

Maddict5
01-20-2008, 10:30 AM
alright finishing up the 07 season this is generally accepted to be our strongest team... so how many changes do you think we'll see on opening day '08??

qb: schaub..... no sage arguments please
rb: green
wrs: AJ, Walter, Davis, Jacoby
te: daniels
lt: salaam
lg: pitts
c: mckinney
rg: weary/briesel
rt: winston
de's: mario, weaver
dt's: travis, amobi
olb's: greenwood, clark/anderson
mlb: meco
cb's: freddy, hutchins(obviously dunta wont be ready for opening day)
safeties: demps, ceandris:splits:

personally id like to see 8 but realistically i see 5 or maybe 6

Thorn
01-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Until Kubiak and Rick Smith get all the right players for their system, I would expect more turnover in the starters for at least one or two more years. I would put money on six or seven new faces in the starting line up for the coming season.

Ole Miss Texan
01-20-2008, 11:03 AM
I don't think we're going to have a significant change in starters...at least come week 1. Obviously as the season goes on, we might have some different ones jump up.

New starters in Week 1:
1 on the offensive line (possibly 2?)
1 outside linebacker
1 secondary (cb?)

I don't see us getting any FA's or draft picks that would come in and start day 1 at these positions: QB, WR, FB, TE, DE, DT, MLB, RB. If we spend our 1st pick on a RB i could see it but I'm not sure of the chances of that AND I think Kubiak sticks with Green if he's healthy and throws in the rookie to.

We can def. use a lot of upgrades but I don't see us being able to get 6 new starters by week 1 in one offseason.

Lucky
01-20-2008, 12:30 PM
RB - Thru the draft
C - Chris White or a FA
RG - Brisiel, Studdard, or a FA
DE - FA
SOLB - FA or Diles
CB - Thru the draft, maybe FA
SS - Brandon Harrison (remember him?)

The Pencil Neck
01-20-2008, 02:35 PM
RB - Although I hope AG comes back strong, I have a bad feeling he won't. So I'm expecting someone other than AG to start game 1.

OL - I'm expecting Gibbs to shake this up something fierce. But I expect our tackles to be Winston and Salaam in the first game. The interior of the line is up for grabs. I expect at least 1 changes here, possibly 2.

DE - I don't think Weaver is starting next year.
DT - I don't think TJ is starting next year.

OLB - I expect 1 new starter. Not sure who or where.

CB - I expect 1 new starter.
S - I expect something to change in our safety situation.

WesmanTexanfan
01-20-2008, 02:38 PM
OT, Cb/saftey, and DE

threetoedpete
01-20-2008, 02:43 PM
FAs. Carlos Dansby and Randal Gay

o-line

OLT. Sam Baker or Collins- Salaam, Butler
LG. Erick Winston, Brisiel
C. Cody Wallace, Brandon Frye, White
RG. Studdard, Frye
RT.Spencer, Salaam

CBs Bennit - Gay

Safties

SS Boulware FS Demps/Harrison

LBS Draft pick - Demeco - Dansby

The Pencil Neck
01-20-2008, 02:52 PM

o-line

RG. Studdard, Frye
RT.Spencer, Salaam

CBs Bennit - Gay

Safties

TTP, you voted for 3 changes and then in your explanation, you show more than 8.

threetoedpete
01-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Well we got people dreaming on the grey hound Rb with the eighteen...I can dream too. Just a guess.

steelbtexan
01-20-2008, 03:30 PM
lt, cb, s, rg, c, rb (if Green is can't make it back)

Honoring Earl 34
01-20-2008, 04:58 PM
I've got two new players on the OL . I have a new CB and I think they'll have a new LB .

ChrisG
01-20-2008, 05:16 PM
at least 4: LT, RB (splitting carries if green can actually finish a game), CB, S

TEXANRED
01-20-2008, 05:34 PM
alright finishing up the 07 season this is generally accepted to be our strongest team... so how many changes do you think we'll see on opening day '08??

qb: schaub..... no sage arguments please - No argument but if Schaub can't stay healthy look for Sage to be named starter at some point.
rb: green - Gone. Running back completion during camp and Green loses his job, either he is cut or traded.
wrs: AJ, Walter, Davis, Jacoby - Still need that big play #2, we still have the same problem we have always had, an outstanding #1 and a bunch of #3's
te: daniels - Daniels better become a better blocker under Gibbs or he will find the fast track to the bench.
lt: salaam - Changed through the draft
lg: pitts - Competition between Studdard and Pitts. Depends on who fits Gibbs system the best.
c: mckinney - Gone. We are going to get younger here, either through FA or draft. Kubiak has expressed concerns in the past about White's size.
rg: weary/briesel - Kubiak was very impressed with Briesel and said after the season was over it would be hard to get that kid out of there. I don't expect Weary to be ready by training camp anyway, plus he might be another guy who does not fit Gibbs system.
rt: winston - Solid RT, future pro-bowler.
de's: mario, weaver - Weaver is gone, or should be, either moved to DT or cut.
dt's: travis, amobi - Travis is gone, or should be, lacks the size and strength to play his position
olb's: greenwood, clark/anderson - Gone, Gone, and is a special teamer. Prove me wrong. Greenwood benifits from Demeco's outstanding play, I have listed reasons in the past why I don't like him.
mlb: meco - Solidified in the middle
cb's: freddy, hutchins(obviously dunta wont be ready for opening day) - Bennitt and FA or draft pick. Hutchins couldn't cover a sofa. When teams realized that Bennitt is pretty good they went after Hutchins and did a pretty good job of making him look like Faggins.
safeties: demps, ceandris:splits: - Demps and a FA or draft pick.

I see 12 positions that still need to be upgraded to take the next step.

hot pickle
01-20-2008, 07:30 PM
is D-Rob out next year for sure or wat?

The Pencil Neck
01-20-2008, 07:34 PM
is D-Rob out next year for sure or wat?

He might be able to come back mid to late season. Maybe.

Maddict5
01-20-2008, 08:59 PM
He might be able to come back mid to late season. Maybe.

but the fact that they're aiming dor mid-season now means we should be aiming for late season AT BEST..

am I the only that thinks we can read alot into our offseason moves

imo if we pay a big FA cb or draft a first rd cb, we shouldn't be optimistic at all

if its just a 'guy' in FA or a mid rounder, i think that shows they expect him to recover properly and pretty quickly

CloakNNNdagger
01-20-2008, 10:01 PM
FYI (this move ran under the radar, but at least interesting),

Chukky Okobi (http://houstontexans.com/team/player.asp?player_id=333) was signed by the Texans as a center. Originally drafted in the 5th round in 2001 Steelers), he worked his way up to be considered for the Steelers starting center position after their starter retired. He lost that opportunity after having what was thought to be a career ending neck injury in camp (2006). Surgery was undertaken, coaching changes occurred and he was released subsequently by the Steelers. The Cardinals were decimated with center injuries when they picked Okobi up in 2007 and subsequently released within a month. He's a good size for a center in the Gibbs system.

BTW, his full name is...........Chukwunweze Sonume "Chukky" Okobi..............Chukky's baaaaaaack............

Ole Miss Texan
01-20-2008, 10:54 PM
qb: schaub..... no sage arguments please - No argument but if Schaub can't stay healthy look for Sage to be named starter at some point.
rb: green - Gone. Running back completion during camp and Green loses his job, either he is cut or traded.
wrs: AJ, Walter, Davis, Jacoby - Still need that big play #2, we still have the same problem we have always had, an outstanding #1 and a bunch of #3's
te: daniels - Daniels better become a better blocker under Gibbs or he will find the fast track to the bench.
lt: salaam - Changed through the draft
lg: pitts - Competition between Studdard and Pitts. Depends on who fits Gibbs system the best.
c: mckinney - Gone. We are going to get younger here, either through FA or draft. Kubiak has expressed concerns in the past about White's size.
rg: weary/briesel - Kubiak was very impressed with Briesel and said after the season was over it would be hard to get that kid out of there. I don't expect Weary to be ready by training camp anyway, plus he might be another guy who does not fit Gibbs system.
rt: winston - Solid RT, future pro-bowler.
de's: mario, weaver - Weaver is gone, or should be, either moved to DT or cut.
dt's: travis, amobi - Travis is gone, or should be, lacks the size and strength to play his position
olb's: greenwood, clark/anderson - Gone, Gone, and is a special teamer. Prove me wrong. Greenwood benifits from Demeco's outstanding play, I have listed reasons in the past why I don't like him.
mlb: meco - Solidified in the middle
cb's: freddy, hutchins(obviously dunta wont be ready for opening day) - Bennitt and FA or draft pick. Hutchins couldn't cover a sofa. When teams realized that Bennitt is pretty good they went after Hutchins and did a pretty good job of making him look like Faggins.
safeties: demps, ceandris:splits: - Demps and a FA or draft pick.

I see 12 positions that still need to be upgraded to take the next step.

Okay so I understand you saying we have 12 positions that need to be upgraded that's nothing new...but the real question is how many of those are actualy (or can be) upgraded through FA and the draft in one offseason! my guess is no team is going to be able to do that!

Goldensilence
01-20-2008, 11:22 PM

o-line

RG. Studdard, Frye
RT.Spencer, Salaam

CBs Bennit - Gay

Safties

I know you're a line guy ...so why move Winston to gaurd when he was the most consistant player on the line by far this year?

I'm also not putting my money on Spencer returning AND getting his playing weight down. I really do hope he gets back....would bea true shame to have such a promising career taken away like that. That said IF he makes it back that's icing on the cake for this team.

I totally agree with the Center assesment. Would love to se Dansby on this team too. Especially if we're content to having Smith as our D coordinator.I'm also curious to see what Harrison could bring to the table. Gay or trufant would be good picks on the outside especially with Dunta's status uncertain.

cuppacoffee
01-20-2008, 11:28 PM
No love for my guy TJ?.. :crying:

You guys will see. TJ will make believers out of you yet.

:coffee:

eriadoc
01-21-2008, 01:08 AM
At least one DLine spot is possible (Weaver, Maddox, TJ, ?)

At least one CB spot, and probably CC Brown's job will be up for grabs.

SLB is in dire need of some help.

LT will compete with Salaaam. RG is unsettled with Weary and McKinney injured. Ditto for center.

RB is up for grabs, obviously.

TexanSam
01-21-2008, 01:32 AM
Oh...I voted on how many changes I think we need, not how many I think we'll fix.

What I think we need is (in no particular order):

1. Defensive End - Mario is turning into a damn good player, but we need somebody on the other end to help him out. Anthony Weaver doesn't pressure the QB at all.

2. Secondary - This can be either corner or safety. I think Will Demps will prove to be a solid FS, but we need an upgrade over CC Brown. Nobody knows how well Dunta is going to be once he comes back (probably not until 2009), so I think you'd have to add cornerback to the list as well.

3. Running back - I get tired of hearing people proclaim Darius Walker and Chris Taylor as the answer at this position. Taylor played all of one game in 2006 and was injured in all of 2007. I'm still waiting on a reasonable explanation as to why you think he can be our RB of the future. Walker played well last season, but I see him more of a change of pace back. I see him as a solid backup and not much more. Same for Dayne. I'd have no problems with drafting a running back in the 1st round.

4. Left Tackle - Salaam was not bad as our LT, but he wasn't good either. He's more of a solid backup but he played reasonably well last year. That said, he's not the long term answer. We've been waiting for a franchise LT since we came into the league and it's about damn time we get one.

5. Outside Linebacker - Greenwood and Clark played well at times last year, but we need a LB who can pressure the QB.

Now I don't think we'll get all of those fixed by next season. I do think we'll fix 3, maybe 4 of our needs however.

beerlover
01-21-2008, 02:49 AM
1st off since the Texans running game is based upon platooning backs its a given there will be several different starters one time or another. so RB should be off the books.

2nd even is they select OT with the first pick the Texans would prefer to groom & develop him under Ephraim Salaam. until injury once again raises its ugly head.

3rd Dunta is most likely starting the season on PUP. Bennett has a good off-season he should be one of the Texans starting cb's. the other will come via the draft (1st rd.) or FA. so thats one.

4th I feel that Travis Johnson will not be on the Texans roster come next fall, plus they'll keep Anthony Weaver because no market for him or his salary. thats two.

5th you have DE, LB, FS, C & OG all possiblities, but I'm guessing only one gets filled with a new starter. three.

WesmanTexanfan
01-21-2008, 03:00 AM
1st off since the Texans running game is based upon platooning backs its a given there will be several different starters one time or another. so RB should be off the books.

2nd even is they select OT with the first pick the Texans would prefer to groom & develop him under Ephraim Salaam. until injury once again raises its ugly head.

3rd Dunta is most likely starting the season on PUP. Bennett has a good off-season he should be one of the Texans starting cb's. the other will come via the draft (1st rd.) or FA. so thats one.

4th I feel that Travis Johnson will not be on the Texans roster come next fall, plus they'll keep Anthony Weaver because no market for him or his salary. thats two.

5th you have DE, LB, FS, C & OG all possiblities, but I'm guessing only one gets filled with a new starter. three.

your a funny man.......:laughjump:

whiskeyrbl
01-21-2008, 05:46 AM
1. Rb
2. Lt
3. C
4. Olb
5. S
Said 5 but think it could possibly be 6 if we get a CB in FA.

bigbrewster2000
01-21-2008, 09:53 AM

your a funny man.......:laughjump:
Are you going to explain why that is funny to you Wesman? What Beerlover is saying makes sense, and while it may not work out that way it's possible.

Beerlover, I agree with you about Weaver and TJ. I think Weaver gets moved inside and platoons until next year to reduce his cap hit because as it stands right now his cap ht is HUGE. Everyone that is saying cut Weaver better get set for disappointment cause it probably wont happen.

Good post beerlover.

Maddict5
01-21-2008, 12:38 PM

the pt is will we draft or sign a new FA rb.. and anyway green was our starter this yr until injury

threetoedpete
01-21-2008, 01:10 PM
I know you're a line guy ...so why move Winston to gaurd when he was the most consistant player on the line by far this year?

I'm also not putting my money on Spencer returning AND getting his playing weight down. I really do hope he gets back....would bea true shame to have such a promising career taken away like that. That said IF he makes it back that's icing on the cake for this team.

I totally agree with the Center assesment. Would love to se Dansby on this team too. Especially if we're content to having Smith as our D coordinator.I'm also curious to see what Harrison could bring to the table. Gay or trufant would be good picks on the outside especially with Dunta's status uncertain.

LG is where you move the most destructive weapon you have on the o-line...screens, traps and sweeps to the right side. LG leads them. Also my thought is if we are going to have a New OLT, he'd be the best guy to groom him when the bullets are flying live.

Which means...Studdard is NOT a good enough athlete to be stuck in that slot...sorry guess again.

The only one who has put bit in the DC's play book is the HC. Smith gets the green light, he'll send the heat.

badboy
01-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Let's see

1. Running back only if we draft Stewart or Mendenhall otherwise Green will start unless injured. I am afraid Green will not be cut by week one unless he proves in camp he just can't go.

2. CB to replace Dunte in game one.
3. A guard to replace the injured Fred Weary if he can't be there or is let go.

Ok 2-3. Unless Briggs or another OLB is signed in FA, we will have same crew. Like it or not Greenwood is here to stay. Demps will be back at FS unless he goes elsewhere. He might be beaten out later but week one is the starter.

I forsee Salaam as the LT starter even if we select a first round tackle. I'd be surprised if the ones we are excited about can't beat him out in TC. McKinney will be starter at center. I do not count him as new just taking back the position he had prior to injury.

Specnatz
01-21-2008, 02:23 PM
At least one DLine spot is possible (Weaver, Maddox, TJ, ?)

At least one CB spot, and probably CC Brown's job will be up for grabs.

SLB is in dire need of some help.

LT will compete with Salaaam. RG is unsettled with Weary and McKinney injured. Ditto for center.

RB is up for grabs, obviously.

I agree but I said 7 just with the hopes of getting a DE and a space eating DT CB, and one safety spot (depending on resigning of Demps) and of Course OLB.

LT RG and Center also but I will not hold my breath on all of them.

The one guy I do not hear mentioning a lot in FA is Jeff Faine (Center) who played with NO. No I am not mentioning him because he played at ND but because I think he is the second best Center on the market and he is younger and would fill the spot for years. Versus signing an older guy who could groom White unless we all think White is ready for the job?

Now Faine does have a contract option so I am not sure if he will be UFA. That is yet to be determined.

badboy
01-21-2008, 02:39 PM
I agree but I said 7 just with the hopes of getting a DE and a space eating DT CB, and one safety spot (depending on resigning of Demps) and of Course OLB.

LT RG and Center also but I will not hold my breath on all of them.

The one guy I do not hear mentioning a lot in FA is Jeff Faine (Center) who played with NO. No I am not mentioning him because he played at ND but because I think he is the second best Center on the market and he is younger and would fill the spot for years. Versus signing an older guy who could groom White unless we all think White is ready for the job?

Now Faine does have a contract option so I am not sure if he will be UFA. That is yet to be determined.Why not use McKinney to groom the next replacement?

Goldensilence
01-21-2008, 02:42 PM
LG is where you move the most destructive weapon you have on the o-line...screens, traps and sweeps to the right side. LG leads them. Also my thought is if we are going to have a New OLT, he'd be the best guy to groom him when the bullets are flying live.

Which means...Studdard is NOT a good enough athlete to be stuck in that slot...sorry guess again.

The only one who has put bit in the DC's play book is the HC. Smith gets the green light, he'll send the heat.

Fair enough. I just feel like it's exchanging one varible for another when you know what you'll get out him playing RT. IF Spencer does make it back I'm not sure he'd be 100% the player he was prior to the injury and could possibly be better suited for the move to LG.

If you're right then Studdard might be a good candidate for RG then. The staff seemed to like Breisel though. It wouldn't surpise me to see a moderate shuffle on the line this up coming season especially on the interior. Salaam has done we enough but IF BIG IF we do finally take a LT in the first I'd expect the spot wouldn't be handed to him and would have to battle it out in camp.

I might be off base but i disagree with your assesment about DC Smith. I get the feeling Kubiak know his talent is more in offense then defense and has tried to put together a solid defensive staff that knows what they are doing. From the sounds I've gotten position coaches are solid but I just don't get a sense at all what Smith wants to do other then get pressure from the front four which...oddly enough is what every defensive coordinator wants. You can harp on the lack of talent there and while that is a prevailing truth I'm just wondering if Smith needs pro bowlers at every position before we get a sense of what he wants to do. I get the impression it takes a HC to point out we need to be more agressive on defense and the difference is markedly noticeable afterwards. This trend has been for two season and i have a gut feeling, barring some large moves on defense through draft or FA, we'll see the same thing come start of next season.

Specnatz
01-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Why not use McKinney to groom the next replacement?

Well with the injuries and salary, I just never count on a player actually being there. Plus for some reason , I thought McKinney was injured last year as well, which I just looked up and he was not. He just was not starting like he should have been.

TEXANRED
01-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Okay so I understand you saying we have 12 positions that need to be upgraded that's nothing new...but the real question is how many of those are actualy (or can be) upgraded through FA and the draft in one offseason! my guess is no team is going to be able to do that!

Why not, Texans have done it before.

2005 starting roster. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/htx/2005_roster.htm

2006 starting roster. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/htx/2006_roster.htm

In Kubiaks first year we changed, RB, WR, WR, DT, OLB, MLB, CB, FB, LT, C, RG, RT, DE, DE, TE.

Second year Kubiak changed, QB, WR, WR, RB, FB, C, OLB, DT, DE, CB, SS, FS, P.

26 different starters changing positions or fresh faces in the last two years.

WesmanTexanfan
01-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Are you going to explain why that is funny to you Wesman? What Beerlover is saying makes sense, and while it may not work out that way it's possible.

Beerlover, I agree with you about Weaver and TJ. I think Weaver gets moved inside and platoons until next year to reduce his cap hit because as it stands right now his cap ht is HUGE. Everyone that is saying cut Weaver better get set for disappointment cause it probably wont happen.

Good post beerlover.

only at the multiple new running backs thing and the TJ being gone.... Tj was fine this year, all you hear from the players is that some cant believe its only his 3rd year, hes solid, people are haters thats why i laugh....

buddyboy
01-21-2008, 04:11 PM
As much as I'd hate to say this, I'm starting to think that the RB position will not have a new starter next year. I think the FO will hope that Green will come back healthy and produce, which allows them to trade down should Mendenhall or Stewart be available at the number 18 spot. LT SHOULD be upgraded, but I also have a sinking feeling that Salaam just might be the starting LT next year as well. Center will be different I think, whether it is Chris White, Greg Eslinger (my prediction), or a draft pick.

CB will be addressed during the offseason, but I again have the sinking feeling that Hutchins will be the starter for at least the first couple of games.

I know that we feel like the team needs to be improved at every position, but I just don't see us being able to address those needs with viable starters that will be immediate impact upgrades.

Dallas_Texan
01-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Oh...I voted on how many changes I think we need, not how many I think we'll fix.

What I think we need is (in no particular order):

1. Defensive End - Mario is turning into a damn good player, but we need somebody on the other end to help him out. Anthony Weaver doesn't pressure the QB at all.

2. Secondary - This can be either corner or safety. I think Will Demps will prove to be a solid FS, but we need an upgrade over CC Brown. Nobody knows how well Dunta is going to be once he comes back (probably not until 2009), so I think you'd have to add cornerback to the list as well.

3. Running back - I get tired of hearing people proclaim Darius Walker and Chris Taylor as the answer at this position. Taylor played all of one game in 2006 and was injured in all of 2007. I'm still waiting on a reasonable explanation as to why you think he can be our RB of the future. Walker played well last season, but I see him more of a change of pace back. I see him as a solid backup and not much more. Same for Dayne. I'd have no problems with drafting a running back in the 1st round.

4. Left Tackle - Salaam was not bad as our LT, but he wasn't good either. He's more of a solid backup but he played reasonably well last year. That said, he's not the long term answer. We've been waiting for a franchise LT since we came into the league and it's about damn time we get one.

5. Outside Linebacker - Greenwood and Clark played well at times last year, but we need a LB who can pressure the QB.

Now I don't think we'll get all of those fixed by next season. I do think we'll fix 3, maybe 4 of our needs however.

TexasSam........That is the most disturbing picture I've seen in months!! We should put that in the opponents locker room just to throw them off balance! haha.