PDA

View Full Version : NFL stolen by UK again...

mattieuk
01-17-2008, 09:11 PM
The NFL is heading back across the pond.

After playing a highly successful game in London last October, the NFL announced that it would return to the United Kingdom for a regular-season game in 2008 as part of the NFL’s International Series of regular-season games.

“The game in London was undoubtedly one of the highlights of the entire 2007 season,” said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. “The fan interest was tremendous. The passion they demonstrated for our sport that day continued throughout the season, as television viewership in the U.K. has grown by 40 percent since the game. We had an overwhelmingly positive response to the event from all involved – the teams, our sponsors and business partners and of course the fans themselves. We look forward to another spectacular event in 2008.”

Details about the game -– including the venue and competing teams -– are expected to be confirmed during Super Bowl week (Jan. 28-Feb. 3) in Arizona.

In 2006, NFL owners approved a five-year plan to stage a limited number of regular-season games outside the United States. The series kicked off in London on October 28 when the New York Giants defeated the Miami Dolphins, 13-10, before a sellout crowd of 81,176 at Wembley Stadium.

The NFL played its first-ever regular-season game outside the United States on Oct. 2, 2005 at Azteca Stadium in Mexico City. A crowd of 103,467 –- the largest for a regular-season game in NFL history –- saw the Arizona Cardinals defeat the San Francisco 49ers, 31-14.

Us Brits are getting regular season football again next year! After being at the Miami-Giants game last year, I can only hope I get tickets again, but here the speculation starts...

Who will the UK get for the 2nd NFL Regular Season Matchup?

Whilst I can't see it (and wouldn't want to rob you guys of a game at the Reliant), I would obviously to see DeMeco cracking some skulls over here.

In realistic thinking though, I can see the Packers or the Raiders coming over here to get a bit more enthusiasm going due to the large amount of support...although the Texans vs anyone, or the Cowgirls vs anyone would be a no brainer! :)

brakos82
01-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Phins and Ravens... snooze bowl!

mattieuk
01-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Phins and Ravens... snooze bowl!

And I thought last years game was bad enough... :gun:

Just please don't send the Phins again...we'll promise good weather! :shades:

kastofsna
01-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Jacksonville vs. Green Bay or Minnesota

Brando
01-17-2008, 09:29 PM

The Phins will be better next year. Parcells will get that franchise turned around quick.

I'm a Parcells fan and the last two jobs was with teams I hate. (Cowboys,Dolphins)

tulexan
01-17-2008, 09:31 PM
I bet it's going to be Falcons v. Eagles

nero THE zero
01-17-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm going to go with Bears vs Colts

kastofsna
01-17-2008, 09:59 PM
I'm going to go with Bears vs Colts
the NFL would never take a home game away from either team.

GuerillaBlack
01-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Especially the Colts and their new stadium.

kastofsna
01-17-2008, 10:07 PM
plus the NFL wants to have both conferences represented.

ATX
01-17-2008, 10:09 PM
What's up with UK fans and Demeco? Tell us why y'all love him.

gwallaia
01-17-2008, 10:13 PM
It will really suck if its the Texans and Packers.

Joe Texan
01-17-2008, 10:13 PM
That game will be a road game for both teams as each team will have 8 games at home.

kastofsna
01-17-2008, 10:14 PM
That game will be a road game for both teams as each team will have 8 games at home.
nope, that's impossible. one team will be the designated home team.

Lucky
01-17-2008, 10:15 PM
“The game in London was undoubtedly one of the highlights of the entire 2007 season,” said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. “Goodell has a future in politics.

GuerillaBlack
01-17-2008, 10:20 PM
It will really suck if its the Texans and Packers.

No it won't. It would be a Texan away game.

Grid
01-18-2008, 12:07 AM
From another forum

Some of the games being suggested according to sources in the league office are:

Buffalo Bills vs Arizona Cardinals (home game for Arizona)
Cincinnati Bengals vs Houston Texans (Home game for Cincinnati)
Cleveland Browns vs Tennessee Titans (home game for Cleveland)
Kansas City Chiefs vs Carolina Panthers (home game for KC)
Tamp Bay Bucs vs Detroit Lions (home game for TB)

TexanSam
01-18-2008, 12:17 AM
From another forum

I'd be ticked if they took a home game away from us. I imagine fans of any team that's picked and has a home game taken away would be too.

ChildressTitanMan
01-18-2008, 04:35 AM
My guess at the next UK crapola bowl.......Redskins vs 49ers

sakebomb
01-18-2008, 06:53 AM

Now that would be one hell of a road trip.

GuerillaBlack
01-18-2008, 07:33 AM
Houston is pretty popular in the UK (all of the oil companies and business; plus all of those Nigerians in London have at least one family member in Houston), so there may be some fans over there.

Texan_Bill
01-18-2008, 09:00 AM
HEY!!!! 'Sidelines', enjoy and take plenty of pics for us like last year!!

TEXANS84
01-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Strange that the Raiders aren't mentioned as one of the teams. If anyone had trouble selling out last year, it was that team.

Double Barrel
01-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Dude, if they export one of our home games from our [hopefully] first winning season.... :mad:

Texan_Bill
01-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Wouldn't that be sweet... :rolleyes: Tickets and Parking go way up, and we lose a home game.... :bat:

kastofsna
01-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Strange that the Raiders aren't mentioned as one of the teams. If anyone had trouble selling out last year, it was that team.
i don't think they'd want a west coast team flying that far.

Specnatz
01-18-2008, 12:50 PM
This just proves the disconnect from the guys running the league and the fans who are the ones putting out all the damn money.

GuerillaBlack
01-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Dude, if they export one of our home games from our [hopefully] first winning season.... :mad:

We wouldn't be giving up a home game. The only game Houston is being rumored in:

So it is Cincinnati's loss.

Maddict5
01-18-2008, 02:52 PM
its definitely involves 1 playoff team (confirmed on uk tv)... so it wont be cincy-houston

kastofsna
01-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Jacksonville vs. Minnesota.

Double Barrel
01-18-2008, 03:25 PM
We wouldn't be giving up a home game. The only game Houston is being rumored in:

[/b]

yeah, noticed that point well after typing my rant. Thanks for the heads up, though. :cool:

TexansSeminole
01-18-2008, 03:33 PM
The Phins will be better next year. Parcells will get that franchise turned around quick.

I'm a Parcells fan and the last two jobs was with teams I hate. (Cowboys,Dolphins)

I agree with you. The Phins will be MUCH better next year. They don't have to be pressured to take McFadden considering they have Ronnie Brown, and they can really hone in on a special player. Chris Long would help them so much on defense. Him and Matt Roth on a 3-4 defensive line is kind of scary.

ubecool454
01-18-2008, 03:59 PM

I still think the brits should stick to soccer and if they want to see a NFL game....have plane will travel. I doubt they will be taking a game from the Texans since my ticket invoice doesn't reflect a game missing.

mancunian
01-18-2008, 05:09 PM
my guess is that it will 2 East Coast teams again, and I dont ever think a West Coast team will have a game in the UK.

If it is the Bengals - Texans (which I doubt) then it would be great to meet up with some of you guys if you got over here.

mancunian
01-18-2008, 05:10 PM

Ha ha, I have had this avatar for awhile now. Think I might have to change it....as for why we like him? He hits hard.....

Yankee_In_TX
01-18-2008, 05:11 PM

[/b]

I thought Cinci played here this year?

Speedy
01-18-2008, 07:48 PM
I thought Cinci played here this year?

That is correct. Cincinnati comes to Houston in '08.

GuerillaBlack
01-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Whoops. My bad on that then.

WesmanTexanfan
01-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Houston is pretty popular in the UK (all of the oil companies and business; plus all of those Nigerians in London have at least one family member in Houston), so there may be some fans over there.

i went to london for christmas and recruited some Texans fans... i also did a little anti Dallas promoting..... but mainly told them to go for the texans, i took advantage of some interested but uneducated brits....

edit: suprisingly alot of Browns fans, and New England fans... hmmm.. wonder why??

Kaiser Toro
01-18-2008, 09:41 PM
We have two signifcant players of Nigerian descent on our current roster - Kalu and Okoye. London has a sizeable Nigerian population. Makes for a good story.

2001 data
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/05/born_abroad/countries/html/nigeria.stm

GuerillaBlack
01-18-2008, 10:00 PM
We have two signifcant players of Nigerian descent on our current roster - Kalu and Okoye. London has a sizeable Nigerian population. Makes for a good story.

2001 data
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/05/born_abroad/countries/html/nigeria.stm

Houston has the third most Nigerians in the WORLD, too. Only Nigeria itself and London have more.

mancunian
01-19-2008, 06:01 AM
i went to london for christmas and recruited some Texans fans... i also did a little anti Dallas promoting..... but mainly told them to go for the texans, i took advantage of some interested but uneducated brits....

edit: suprisingly alot of Browns fans, and New England fans... hmmm.. wonder why??

well there has been an upsurge of Browns fans in the Midlands after Lerner bought Aston Villa Football Club. There has always been a fair sized fan base for the Pats here even before they started winning things. For two reasons - the fact that it has England in the name and they are the closest to the UK.

edo783
01-19-2008, 10:04 AM
Houston has the third most Nigerians in the WORLD, too. Only Nigeria itself and London have more.

Mmm, didn't know that. By the way, if anyone is going to London for the game, just a couple of blocks from Pickadillie Circuse (sp) towards Trafalger Square is a place called "The Texas Embasy". Serves a reasonable semblence of Tex-Mex finger foods and it's kind of fun to let them know your from Texas. Starts a couple of conversations.

ATX
01-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Mmm, didn't know that. By the way, if anyone is going to London for the game, just a couple of blocks from Pickadillie Circuse (sp) towards Trafalger Square is a place called "The Texas Embasy". Serves a reasonable semblence of Tex-Mex finger foods and it's kind of fun to let them know your from Texas. Starts a couple of conversations.

I've been there.......they have great Margaritas.

tulexan
01-19-2008, 02:21 PM

Texas Embassy blows, don't waste your time or money there. Going to London to get Tex-Mex food is like going to Italy to get burgers.

ATX
01-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Texas Embassy blows, don't waste your time or money there. Going to London to get Tex-Mex food is like going to Italy to get burgers.

Never had the food there, but they do have pretty good Margaritas.

edo783
01-19-2008, 08:47 PM

That wasn't the point. Being the person from Texas in the "The Texas Embassy" was. Like I said, starts some good conversations and may get you a free drink or two.

tulexan
01-19-2008, 09:02 PM
That wasn't the point. Being the person from Texas in the "The Texas Embassy" was. Like I said, starts some good conversations and may get you a free drink or two.

ok, but you are still going to an overpriced crappy restaurant. London is known for its pubs, I wouldn't waste my time going to Texas Embassy. The Zagat survey put it the best, the highlight of the meal were the chips.

ATX
01-19-2008, 09:10 PM
ok, but you are still going to an overpriced crappy restaurant. London is known for its pubs, I wouldn't waste my time going to Texas Embassy. The Zagat survey put it the best, the highlight of the meal were the chips.

Pretty much everything in London is crappy and overpriced.

tulexan
01-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Pretty much everything in London is crappy and overpriced.

Everything may be expensive because of the pound, but I wouldn't say everything is crappy. London has some of the best restaurants and nightlife in the world.

ATX
01-19-2008, 09:42 PM
Everything may be expensive because of the pound, but I wouldn't say everything is crappy. London has some of the best restaurants and nightlife in the world.

It's always been expensive, even when the dollar was higher back in 2000. Maybe I'm biased against London, been there 3 times, but once was enough for me.

GuerillaBlack
01-19-2008, 09:56 PM
It's always been expensive, even when the dollar was higher back in 2000. Maybe I'm biased against London, been there 3 times, but once was enough for me.

So why did you go the other two times?

kastofsna
01-19-2008, 10:42 PM
indeed, i hear London is the most expensive city in Europe, quite a bit more than Paris.

ATX
01-19-2008, 10:59 PM
So why did you go the other two times?

Cheap flights into London basically. Fly in to London, stay the night then catch a flight out the next day. Nothing against London, it's just not one of my favorite cities in Europe.

Kaiser Toro
01-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Cheap flights into London basically. Fly in to London, stay the night then catch a flight out the next day. Nothing against London, it's just not one of my favorite cities in Europe.

I am not a big fan of London either, nor Paris for that matter.

mattieuk
01-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Pah, most of London is a ghastly place, but whilst it holds NFL matches, its my favourite place in the world! :) Seriously expensive though (although I did manage to get a cheesburger outside the ground for only 90p, so could be worse I suppose...the $90 ticket prices was a bit steep though.

Just on another note, I don't think they've actually said Wembley is going to be the venue yet, could well be Twickenham (London), the Millenium Stadium (Cardiff, Wales). It wouldn't surprise me if they put it in the Millenium Stadium to be honest, its got a fully closable roof as well...solves the pitch issue!

As Mancunian said, he hits hard. He's been the spark of our D for two years now (apart from Super Mario this season). Who doesn't love a skull cracker anyways!? :redtowel:

Maddict5
01-20-2008, 03:50 PM
just announced during the pats game that the home team will be one of seattle, kc, NO or TB

WesmanTexanfan
01-20-2008, 03:52 PM
well there has been an upsurge of Browns fans in the Midlands after Lerner bought Aston Villa Football Club. There has always been a fair sized fan base for the Pats here even before they started winning things. For two reasons - the fact that it has England in the name and they are the closest to the UK.

i see.....

mattieuk
01-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Yup, as Maddict just said, Alistair Kirkwood is on UK coverage of the Pats-Chargers and so far has said:

-The home team will be New Orleans, Seattle, Kansas City or Tampa bay.
-The game WILL NOT be a divisional fixture.
-The game will be an AFC vs NFC matchup.

Edit: Ok, I've done some probing, and I think (from my reaconing and these rules) it should be...

Kansas City- New Orleans and Tampa
Seattle- Pats or Jets
Tampa- Chargers or Raiders
New Orleans- Raiders or Chargers

kastofsna
01-20-2008, 04:41 PM
none of those make ANY sense, except MAYBE New Orleans.

Maddict5
01-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Yup, as Maddict just said, Alistair Kirkwood is on UK coverage of the Pats-Chargers and so far has said:

-The game WILL NOT be a divisional fixture.
-The game will be an AFC vs NFC matchup.

- Will involve a playoff team

(said that some other time before)

mattieuk
01-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Where did you hear that from? I don't think Alistair has said anything about that yet. Anyways, if thats right then its...

Kansas City - Tampa
Seattle- Pats or Jets
New Orleans- Chargers

edo783
01-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Seattle-Pats would be about the only game on the list worth traveling that far for IMO, not to mention the cost.

Maddict5
01-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Where did you hear that from? I don't think Alistair has said anything about that yet. Anyways, if thats right then its...

Kansas City - Tampa
Seattle- Pats or Jets
New Orleans- Chargers

they had him on air over the telephone during the giants-pats game? i think it was.. and he said it then

kastofsna
01-21-2008, 01:33 PM
folks you have to realize the reason they took Miami last year as the home team was because the NFL knew Miami sucked and if the game was played in Miami it wouldn't come close to selling out.

they're absolutely not going to take a team like Seattle who sells out their huge stadium every week (plus they're on the west coast), or Tampa Bay who's sold out every game since 1997.

Sideline
01-23-2008, 05:59 PM
HEY!!!! 'Sidelines', enjoy and take plenty of pics for us like last year!!

Ill surely enjoy the game and will be sure to take the pictures again.

Ashame we won't be getting the Texans, I wouldn't of wanted the Texans to come over here if it meant us being the home team, no way would I want to take a game away from Houston. However us being the road team would have been great. Sadly not to be though.

Would love to see the Chargers or Saints though personally, guess we will be finding out in a couple of weeks. Hope the game is in Cardiff too with the closeable roof like Reliant so we don't have last years problem of the rain.

austintexanite
01-23-2008, 07:43 PM
That Tampa-SD games looks to be a good one. Of course, the Seattle-NE would probably create the most buzz because both of those teams are good.

Sideline
01-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Im pretty sure it won't be that game as Alister Kirkwood commented on how it would be unlikely that the Patriots would travel accross to the UK for the forseeable future.

I hate the Seahawks too so wouldn't be that bothered about that game, the chance to see Brady play would be great though.

mancunian
02-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Saints - Chargers dont really do that much for me really, but would be good just to be there.

Wolf
02-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Saints - Chargers dont really do that much for me really, but would be good just to be there.

depending on which Saints team shows up, should be a good matchup