View Full Version : Lance Z's Shrine Bowl practice notes
01-15-2008, 08:39 PM
- Auburn CB Jonathan Wilhite was just a hair away from making plays throughout one on one drills and showed good hips and a solid break on the ball. As the week progresses and he gets more comfortable, I think he'll start to make more plays and more teams will move him up their draft board.
- One scout I spoke with came away impressed with Syracuse LB Jameel McClain and he said he'll keep a close eye on him the rest of the practices.
01-15-2008, 09:29 PM
I would like to say that I called that Curtis Johnson would be a good fit, before the season started? He was on my top small school draft board, albeit alot lower than he should have been.
nero THE zero
01-16-2008, 08:17 AM
I'm really interested in seeing the Wisc DT Nick Hayden play on Sat.
I would love to get him on the second day.
01-17-2008, 12:48 PM
- Iowa St. DT Athyba Rubin and Texas DT Frank Okam are both showing an ability to lock up and not get pushed around easily which makes them 2-gap candidates. The problem for Okam is that he came into the season expected to be a 1st or 2nd round caliber player but it looks like he'll be a middle round draft pick. Rubin's size (321) makes him an interesting late round prospect that the Texans might want to look at for their NT position.
- I thought Fresno State center Ryan Wendell had a really good practice. He probably needs to put a little bit more weight on but he really showed great feet in run blocking drills and he can get to LBs on the second level with effectiveness. He also shows a nasty streak as well.
- UH RB Anthony Alridge is showing his unbelievable quickness at practices and he was even split out a couple of times at WR (which he will probably have to play on the next level). One scout told me he is agonizing about figuring out how to sell Alridge to his GM and head coach because of Alridge's speed, but he just isn't sure where he'll play.
- It's sad to watch TCU DE Tommy Blake overweight and unable to get off of the snap as quickly as he once did. Blake has the talent, but he weighed in at 287 at the Shrine Game weigh-ins which is about 30 pounds heavier than when the season started. You can still see the talent, but he has some off the field issues that just might keep him from being drafted.
If Tommy Blake lasts till the 7th round I'll be screaming for the Texans to take him. He would be a risk, but if it works it would be a hell of a move by the Texans.
vBulletin® v3.7.2, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.