PDA

View Full Version : Chow out in Tackville..

hookinreds
01-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Just heard it in the car on the way back from lunch and didn't see anything here. Wonder where he'll end up. Be interesting to find out who peed in who's cheerios.

BeerTastesLikeVictory
01-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Trouble with the offense, get rid of the OC. They must have read the Texans operations manual years 03-05.

kastofsna
01-15-2008, 01:15 PM
should immediately find a job in college.

Texan_Bill
01-15-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm speculating here, but I wonder if Chow voiced his displeasure with vince..?? or if it was "Fisher Ball"???

hookinreds
01-15-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm speculating here, but I wonder if Chow voiced his displeasure with vince..?? or if it was "Fisher Ball"???

That's my thoughts. Somebody wasn't playing nice in the sandbox.

UT is interviewing Major Applewhite for the open RB coaches spot, obviously would be groomed for the top spot in a couple years. Fisher interviews Greg Davis to see if he wants to come to Tackville and build an offense around VY, Major interviews for the RB coach opening but ends up with the OC spot.

austintexanite
01-15-2008, 01:25 PM

Didn't he say that Vince needs to stop pouting on the sidelines when things go wrong? It was probably those comments, but probably Bud firing him because Vince wasn't doing well.

TheRealJoker
01-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Chow wanted Leinart and has been sore ever since.

Vinny
01-15-2008, 01:26 PM
I mentioned this to many of my friends but I thought Young's talents were being wasted in this Chow offense. I think Young needs to be in a more vertical offense without all the extended hand offs and a scheme that tends to keep 8 defenders in or close to the box. Young can hurt a team when you spread them out...Chows offensive scheme kept everyone in tight. I'm not shocked to see him go.

Texan_Bill
01-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Didn't he say that Vince needs to stop pouting on the sidelines when things go wrong? It was probably those comments, but probably Bud firing him because Vince wasn't doing well.
Chow wanted Leinart and has been sore ever since.

Yup!! Both of those are true!!!

I mentioned this to many of my friends but I thought Young's talents were being wasted in this Chow offense. I think Young needs to be in a more vertical offense without all the extended hand offs and a scheme that tends to keep 8 defenders in or close to the box. Young can hurt a team when you spread them out...Chows offensive scheme kept everyone in tight. I'm not shocked to see him go.

Are you sure it's Chow as much as it is Fisher's offense?? Chow didn't seem to have a problem spreading the ball around at SC... And everyone knows that Coach Fisher has always had a conservative approach to offense - even since being here in Houston.

austintexanite
01-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Are you sure it's Chow as much as it is Fisher's offense?? Chow didn't seem to have a problem spreading the ball around at SC... And everyone knows that Coach Fisher has always had a conservative approach to offense - even since being here in Houston.

I believe USC did spread the ball around, but that's because they had a QB who could find the open man and hit them in stride. White and Bush both ran the ball a good amount of time, which opened the passing game, Leinart could hit the receivers in stride. I think was a clash of styles, and that Chow was not too pleased with having Young instead of Leinart.

Vinny
01-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Yup!! Both of those are true!!!

Fisher liked to pound the ball and take shots down the field when defenders creep in to stop the run. Chow likes to use tons of short passes and extended hand offs and doesn't really stretch the field much. I think that if Young was in Fishers scheme when Mike Heimerdinger was his OC he would have more success (I think Young has more upside than Steve McNair). I think this is a good move for the Titans and a bad move for us and the others in the AFC South

HOU-TEX
01-15-2008, 01:36 PM

Or was it because Chow couldn't utilize his entire playbook due to VY? At the time of the pick I was somewhat baffled they went with VY with Chow instead of Leinart. IMO, Adams forced the issue and the Chow hire was doomed.

Oh well, like kast said, he'll have no problem finding a job.:cool:

Vinny
01-15-2008, 01:37 PM
Or was it because Chow couldn't utilize his entire playbook due to VY? At the time of the pick I was somewhat baffled they went with VY with Chow instead of Leinart. IMO, Adams forced the issue and the Chow hire was doomed.

Oh well, like kast said, he'll have no problem finding a job.:cool:
Watch Leinart under pressure....he sucks. I didn't like Chow's scheme (after I saw many games) and I don't think that Young held him back. Chow was an unproven (in the NFL) coach...still is.

I must say I said good things about the Chow offense early on. I didn't like how it evolved into a pure dink and dunk offense over the long haul however.

Second Honeymoon
01-15-2008, 01:39 PM

UT is interviewing Major Applewhite for the open RB coaches spot, obviously would be groomed for the top spot in a couple years. Fisher interviews Greg Davis to see if he wants to come to Tackville and build an offense around VY, Major interviews for the RB coach opening but ends up with the OC spot.

hahahahhahahah Greg Davis as NFL OC....hahahahhahahaha...funniest post ever

oh man, that is rich. I get where you are coming from because in a world where Davis didn't suck it would be a possiblity, but Davis has no chance in hell at a NFL OC job. not a snowball's chance in hell. VY didn't do much in college until Davis got out of the way and let Vince be Vince. Fisher is a smart coach so it will never happen.

that being said, NOTHING would make me happier as a Horns fan than to see Greg Davis leave Austin. That guy is just off the charts terrible. Mack is too damn loyal to the guy. He needs to go.

I don't want Applewhite as OC either. He was another coaches son just like McCoy and hopefully we start to go away from that in Austin. Unathletic small town coaches son's have got us nowhere and nothing over the past few decades. Gardere could at least beat OU but that was about it. The only guys who have won squat were James Brown and Vince Young and they were athetic and NOT coaches sons. We need more guys like that and less 'Opies' like Major and Colt. Colts absolutely sucks with Greg Davis or without.

Texan_Bill
01-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Watch Leinart under pressure....he sucks.

Thats 'cause his O-Line sucks......... D'oh, did I just say that!??!

:sarcasm:

HOU-TEX
01-15-2008, 01:42 PM
Watch Leinart under pressure....he sucks. I didn't like Chow's scheme and I don't think that Young held him back. Chow was an unproven (in the NFL) coach...still is.

I wasn't really comparing the two. I was merely pointing out how odd I thought the pick was considering Chow was the OC at the time.

But, I can play too. Watch VY with a pulled quad...he sucks. :cool:

beerlover
01-15-2008, 01:49 PM
I think this is a good move for the Titans and a bad move for us and the others in the AFC South

I don't know, can it be much worse than the 0-4 record the Texans have against VY/Chow Titans :shades:

toronto
01-15-2008, 01:51 PM
I fully expect Cam Cameron to end up there. I suspect Fisher had a plan in place before he canned Chow...and Cameron fits the bill perfectly...good QB mentor based on his work with Brees and Rivers...plus wont step back into the HC picture for a few years after that awful year in Miami....

bah007
01-15-2008, 02:11 PM

As a UT fan, I would love to hear this on the radio. Not gonna happen though.

Double Barrel
01-15-2008, 02:14 PM
I don't know, can it be much worse than the 0-4 record the Texans have against VY/Chow Titans :shades:

Never, ever ask if something could be worse. We could be 0-10 against them in a matter of three seasons from now.

Obviously, I hope this is not the case, but our 2-10 record against the Titans is what it is.

toronto
01-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Never, ever ask if something could be worse. We could be 0-10 against them in a matter of three seasons from now.

Obviously, I hope this is not the case, but our 2-10 record against the Titans is what it is.

lol that's like asking a Red Sox fan prior to 2004 if it could ever get worse than Buckner. Then Grady Little left Pedro in on fumes in the 8th inning of Game 7 against the Yanks. I swear I thought there were going to be 1 million suicides in NE that night.

Texan_Bill
01-15-2008, 02:30 PM
Wow!! Just Wow!!!!

I think, but I may be delirious, but I think I heard Rich (que up 'Careless Whisper') Lord, just criticized his man-love Vince and say that he thought the Titans offensive woes were more on Vince, not Chow and also that Chow "knows what he's doing"!!!

Goldensilence
01-15-2008, 02:31 PM

oh man, that is rich. I get where you are coming from because in a world where Davis didn't suck it would be a possiblity, but Davis has no chance in hell at a NFL OC job. not a snowball's chance in hell. VY didn't do much in college until Davis got out of the way and let Vince be Vince. Fisher is a smart coach so it will never happen.

that being said, NOTHING would make me happier as a Horns fan than to see Greg Davis leave Austin. That guy is just off the charts terrible. Mack is too damn loyal to the guy. He needs to go.

I don't want Applewhite as OC either. He was another coaches son just like McCoy and hopefully we start to go away from that in Austin. Unathletic small town coaches son's have got us nowhere and nothing over the past few decades. Gardere could at least beat OU but that was about it. The only guys who have won squat were James Brown and Vince Young and they were athetic and NOT coaches sons. We need more guys like that and less 'Opies' like Major and Colt. Colts absolutely sucks with Greg Davis or without.

I'm hoping John Chiles really starts pressing for PT this year. When he came in the game a few times I liked what I saw.

I don't as much have a problem with Colt...but his frame was way too small last year and he just hasn't seemed like the same guy since the shoulder inury. Didn't help behind Sweed the Wr corps was thin. Charles really saved the season. Had no problem with Major Who i still despise to this day is Chris Simms. I think he's gunning for Mack's spot and while Mack is a great recruiter he makes me nervous as a HC. Fitting the guy who Mack Benched for @#R$#@ Chris Simms takes over and prolly finds more success.

Silver Oak
01-15-2008, 02:37 PM
I recall when they first hired him, he was going to be the one to mentor vy and teach him the pro game.

I guess someone has to be the fall guy for that debacle.

drewmar74
01-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Just so we've got a link on this one...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3197683

"The Tennessee Titans fired offensive coordinator Norm Chow after three seasons with the team, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Tuesday.

The Titans finished the regular season 10-6 and suffered a 17-6 loss to the San Diego Chargers in the first round of the playoffs. They finished 10th in the AFC in total yards."

Mr. White
01-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Sounds like there's more to this story than meets the eye.

Anyone else remember the story about Chow telling the NBC crew that Vince pouts when things don't go his way?

Looks like Vince just bagged his first coach.

I have no problem with the Tacks firing a guy that's been regarded as an offensive genius.

Double Barrel
01-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Vince happy now. Bad Chow leave him alone and no more time out time. Nobody wants to be bothered when they are pouting.

hookinreds
01-15-2008, 03:16 PM

LOL...don't get me wrong, were on the same page on this one. Davis is the epitome of suck, and it would be a two for one if UT got rid of him and TU got him. What would be funny would be seeing Davis up in the booth with the helmet on and VY on the field with the headset telling him what play he was going to run.

I think Major has a way to go, but if it means getting Davis the hell out of there, well so beit.

Ok...now back to reality, play time is over.

nero THE zero
01-15-2008, 07:06 PM
I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3197683

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee Titans fired offensive coordinator Norm Chow on Tuesday after a season of struggling to score points and reaching the playoffs for the first time since 2003.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher confirmed the dismissal in a short statement. Chow, who had been on staff for three years, did not immediately return a telephone message left by The Associated Press.

But Fisher said the day after his Titans (10-6) lost an AFC wild-card game to San Diego 17-6 that improving the offense was his top priority this offseason. They ranked 21st overall in total offense and became the first team with only nine touchdown passes to reach the playoffs in a 16-game season.

GlassHalfFull
01-15-2008, 07:10 PM

Some Titans fans proposed this over on Titans Online and were quickly shot down by UT/Titans fans.

Bubbajwp
01-15-2008, 07:13 PM
What do you expect when you have

QB Vince Young
RB Nobody
WR Nobody
ect..

Errant Hothy
01-15-2008, 07:14 PM
Looks down three threads.

disaacks3
01-15-2008, 08:17 PM
This is gonna be interesting. It's definitely playing out as a VY vs. Chow thing. We'll know for sure if the next Titans OC can't make the QB better either.

My $$ is on Chow, though I do agree that they had VY in a situation where they weren't playing to his strengths.

Kaiser Toro
01-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Chow is the sacrificial lamb. His offense moved pretty well with Collins in there this year. Moreover, the WRs also looked miraculoulsy better when he was in.

I am a VY fan, but he needs to come to play next year or else he is positioning himself as a coach killer.

gg no re
01-15-2008, 08:37 PM
At first, I thought this thread was going to be about Lendale White's recommended places to eat in Tennessee.... :(

anyhow

To give this thread additional replay value, replace VY with DC and Norm Chow with Chris Palmer

BigWig
01-16-2008, 07:42 AM
My 2 cents, he ends up in Baltimore.

The1ApplePie
01-16-2008, 07:43 AM
I think I am the only USC fan here (the only non-bandwagon fan anyways), but Chow was the result of talent on his team, more than his actual ability.

He had Lienart with Jarrett/Smith on the outside and the best backfield in a decade with Reggie and White. Before that, he had Palmer and a bunch of 1st round WRs.

He also didn't have the personel for his system. Fisher was all about the power run, with a huge O-Line and no WRs. The Tacks aren't built to throw it around the park.

nero THE zero
01-16-2008, 07:55 AM

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45713&highlight=pouter

Texan_Bill
01-16-2008, 08:00 AM
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45713&highlight=pouter

There ya have it....

Seriously, I knew about the pouting thing and Chow criticizing that (thanks to your thread).. My comment (that you quoted) was more about vince's sub-NFL QB performance - above and beyond him pouting.

bah007
01-16-2008, 08:35 AM
LOL...don't get me wrong, were on the same page on this one. Davis is the epitome of suck, and it would be a two for one if UT got rid of him and TU got him. What would be funny would be seeing Davis up in the booth with the helmet on and VY on the field with the headset telling him what play he was going to run.

I think Major has a way to go, but if it means getting Davis the hell out of there, well so beit.

Ok...now back to reality, play time is over.

I would like Davis to stay at UT, but ONLY as the QB Coach. No more playcalling.

toronto
01-16-2008, 10:07 AM
I think Chow goes back to college.

I really think the Titans are going to push hard for Cameron or bring back Heimindinger...or however the hell you spell his name...

HOU-TEX
01-16-2008, 10:11 AM
I think Chow goes back to college.

I really think the Titans are going to push hard for Cameron or bring back Heimindinger...or however the hell you spell his name...

I heard on the radio this morning that Cameron and Capers would be Garrett's coordinators where ever he went. True or not, just thought I'd pass it on.:cool:

drewmar74
01-16-2008, 10:27 AM
I think that if Young was in Fishers scheme when Mike Heimerdinger was his OC he would have more success

Apparently you're not the only person that thinks this way....

"The Titans are expected to move quickly to replace Chow and have their sights set on Denver Broncos assistant head coach Mike Heimerdinger, who was Fisher's offensive coordinator from 2000-04. Heimerdinger, who spent the past two seasons with the Broncos after one season with the New York Jets. On Tuesday night the Titans requested permission to speak with him."

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080116/SPORTS01/801160466/1002/SPORTS

Lucky
01-16-2008, 10:57 AM
The Titans offense in the Vince era did not look like any Chow offense I had seen before. Rather some weird hybrid involving the UT spread option. While that helped Young have some success early, it has retarded his progress as a NFL QB. Chow is a proven QB coach, but he couldn't reach Vince.

Fisher wants to run a power running game, with a bunch of designed roll outs and bootlegs. Ball control & playaction. He has the McNair clone in Young, but what's missing is the Eddie George type workhorse. All the experts believe that the Titans will look for a WR to help Vince. I think that Fisher will jump at the chance to get a Mendenhall or Stewart. Maybe even go after Michael Turner in free agency.

Vinny
01-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Fisher liked to pound the ball and take shots down the field when defenders creep in to stop the run. Chow likes to use tons of short passes and extended hand offs and doesn't really stretch the field much. I think that if Young was in Fishers scheme when Mike Heimerdinger was his OC he would have more success (I think Young has more upside than Steve McNair). I think this is a good move for the Titans and a bad move for us and the others in the AFC South

Apparently you're not the only person that thinks this way....

"The Titans are expected to move quickly to replace Chow and have their sights set on Denver Broncos assistant head coach Mike Heimerdinger, who was Fisher's offensive coordinator from 2000-04. Heimerdinger, who spent the past two seasons with the Broncos after one season with the New York Jets. On Tuesday night the Titans requested permission to speak with him."

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080116/SPORTS01/801160466/1002/SPORTS

I think I have a pretty good feel for the Titans and Fisher. As the year went on I noticed that Chow's system tends to keep a ton of defenders tight in the box and that is the exact opposite of what I'd want to do with VY as your QB. Chow is a proven coach...but he is a proven College coach. I'm pretty confident that making the Titan offense more vertical is going to make Young pretty dangerous in the long run. I'd be happier if Chow and his College offense stayed in Nashvegas.

kastofsna
01-16-2008, 12:32 PM
you're making the dangerous assumption that Vince Young could learn ANY offense.

Vinny
01-16-2008, 12:34 PM
you're making the dangerous assumption that Vince Young could learn ANY offense.
Young QB's struggle...just because you hate the guy doesn't change that any.

toronto
01-16-2008, 12:41 PM
The Titans offense in the Vince era did not look like any Chow offense I had seen before. Rather some weird hybrid involving the UT spread option. While that helped Young have some success early, it has retarded his progress as a NFL QB. Chow is a proven QB coach, but he couldn't reach Vince.

Fisher wants to run a power running game, with a bunch of designed roll outs and bootlegs. Ball control & playaction. He has the McNair clone in Young, but what's missing is the Eddie George type workhorse. All the experts believe that the Titans will look for a WR to help Vince. I think that Fisher will jump at the chance to get a Mendenhall or Stewart. Maybe even go after Michael Turner in free agency.

There is almost no chance that the Titans go after Turner, if Turner is demanding 15M+ as a signing bonus. I suspect they will turn to the draft and try and correct a brutal mistake (Chris Henry) and take one of the highly touted RBs in round 3, probably more of a speedy changeup to the three yards and a cloud of dust Lendale...

Vinny
01-16-2008, 12:44 PM
There is almost no chance that the Titans go after Turner, if Turner is demanding 15M+ as a signing bonus. I suspect they will turn to the draft and try and correct a brutal mistake (Chris Henry) and take one of the highly touted RBs in round 3, probably more of a speedy changeup to the three yards and a cloud of dust Lendale...Henry was a mistake because Chow wanted a kagillion short passes as his passing game foundation. His offense worked great in College but may not work so well in the NFL where you have better tacklers on the edges and in the secondary. Henry was supposed to be a guy who caught a lot of short passes in space.

Mr teX
01-16-2008, 12:51 PM

The bolded could very well wind up true, but you have to figure that whomever they bring in, it's also going to set VY back a year or so just to learn a new offense. Mawae has already spout off about him, & it's obvious by watching his play on the field that he isn't quite seeing things as he should.

dtran04
01-16-2008, 12:55 PM
It sounded like Fisher simply didn't like Chow. Bud probably wasn't too happy that Chow made negative comments about VY either.

toronto
01-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Henry was a mistake because Chow wanted a kagillion short passes as his passing game foundation. His offense worked great in College but may not work so well in the NFL where you have better tacklers on the edges and in the secondary. Henry was supposed to be a guy who caught a lot of short passes in space.

Henry was a mistake in the same way that Mike Mamula was a mistake. He had a killer workout. The Titans saw his speed and fell in love, but simply forgot that he has NEVER, not even in high school, been able to carry the load for his team, plus has had major character issues. It was an incredibly dumb pick when the team had significant needs at WR and OG. They got really lucky that their offensive line stayed healthy for the most part all season, otherwise that oversight would have bitten them hard in the ass.
Even though he was a major disappointment and was called out publicly by Steve Smith, I was stunned that the Titans passed on Dwayne Jarrett in the 2nd round when it became clear they had a shot at him. Henry was a monster reach and a complete waste of a pick. He'll be cut by next year IMO.

Blazing Arrow
01-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Fisher balls likes to use TEs which chows play calling was not utilizing. Some of the play calling was down right odd though too. I recall in the Jags game we were on there goal line and Chow ran this play to try and stretch LW to the outside. It really made no sense because we were making good gains up the middle at the time. It should have been a simple power run up the middle for a 1 yard TD but instead turned into a short loss and a FG.

I think part of Chow's issue was his plays lacked imagination. I think almost any Titans fan could have called the bland O that was being run.

Run up the middle, run off tackle or screen pass to a WR, then if it is short run up the middle again if long move to shotgun and try something down the field against 6 DBs. The play "book" was more of a short pamphlet, IMO.

It should be noted that we will most likely end up losing our DC pretty quickly here.

kastofsna
01-16-2008, 01:48 PM
Young QB's struggle...just because you hate the guy doesn't change that any.
i hate the ludicrous hype for any dumb untalented player, that's all.

Blazing Arrow
01-16-2008, 01:53 PM
i hate the ludicrous hype for any dumb untalented player, that's all.

Blind hatred is always amusing.

Lucky
01-16-2008, 02:03 PM
There is almost no chance that the Titans go after Turner, if Turner is demanding 15M+ as a signing bonus...
The Titans actually attempted to trade for Turner before the '07 draft, but the Chargers price (1st & 3rd) was too steep. I don't think the Titans are in cap trouble, so I don't see the issue with signing Turner.

Blazing Arrow
01-16-2008, 02:06 PM
The Titans actually attempted to trade for Turner before the '07 draft, but the Chargers price (1st & 3rd) was too steep. I don't think the Titans are in cap trouble, so I don't see the issue with signing Turner.

Henry was a sencond round draft pick and so was White. If you now bring Turner in a a decent contract you have way to much cap wieght sitting in the RB spot. Plus Turner will probably want to go somewhere he will be the primary back, in Tenn. I think he would split carries with White. Fisher likes the heavy pounding back which Turner is not.

bah007
01-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Henry was a sencond round draft pick and so was White. If you now bring Turner in a a decent contract you have way to much cap wieght sitting in the RB spot. Plus Turner will probably want to go somewhere he will be the primary back, in Tenn. I think he would split carries with White. Fisher likes the heavy pounding back which Turner is not.

Turner is not a little man.

He weighs at least 235 and he isn't just an outside runner.

powerfuldragon
01-16-2008, 02:09 PM
i thought this was an invitation to a meal.

Specnatz
01-16-2008, 02:18 PM

I just do not see them going after Turner, with the way Lenwhale played this year. They have more pressing needs in signing their own FA ......

DT Albert Haynesworth
TE Bo Scaife
TE Ben Troupe
PK Rob Bironas
DE Travis LaBoy
DE Antwan Odom
WR Justin Gage

RB is not a need WR is as well as return game.

toronto
01-16-2008, 02:25 PM
I just do not see them going after Turner, with the way Lenwhale played this year. They have more pressing needs in signing their own FA ......

DT Albert Haynesworth
TE Bo Scaife
TE Ben Troupe
PK Rob Bironas
DE Travis LaBoy
DE Antwan Odom
WR Justin Gage

I made a similar post stating that somewhere here.....

I suspect the only cap money they will allocate towards UFA or RFA is for a WR/TE plus some OL depth, especially if Olsen retires. They also have to give raises to T David Stewart and G Eugene Amano, both of whom showed they are valuable.

Blazing Arrow
01-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Turner is not a little man.

He weighs at least 235 and he isn't just an outside runner.

The Titans need a change of pace back. I doubt Brown will return but I just can not see us paying that much at the RB level. Plus we need to spend our money on WRs and TEs. With Pac most likely not returning and Harper starting to age I would not be suprised to see another CB come in or drafted and some help/depth to our D line.

Blazing Arrow
01-16-2008, 02:28 PM

DT Albert Haynesworth
TE Bo Scaife
TE Ben Troupe
PK Rob Bironas
DE Travis LaBoy
DE Antwan Odom
WR Justin Gage

I see AH, Scaife, Bironas, LaBoy or Odom, and Gage returning.

After Troupe got hit in the face with a ball and a couple huge drops in the endzone I can not see him returning. LaBoy will probably lose out to Odom. Gage was decent and should be a solid #2 for us. But our money has to be at the WR spot this off season.

threetoedpete
01-16-2008, 02:41 PM
should immediately find a job in college.

Why not Hotlanta ?

Well, my money says this was a Bud firing. Smells like it to me. Vincent digressed, you can't fire Vincent. I don't believe Jeff Fischer would knee jerk like this. Bud has made a habit of it for forty years.

threetoedpete
01-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Chow is the sacrificial lamb. His offense moved pretty well with Collins in there this year. Moreover, the WRs also looked miraculoulsy better when he was in.

I am a VY fan, but he needs to come to play next year or else he is positioning himself as a coach killer.

It has nothing to do with Vincent's motivation. He hit 29 of thirty one tragets against us in the last game. He made all of the correct reads. He is not, nor has he ever been an acurate passer.

And by acurate I'm posting that his throws are no where as presice as Tom Brady's or Payton Manning's. And his recivers blow instead of catch. They do not have one hands guy outdside of a TE on the roster. Not one.

I expect the Titans after they solve the Cb problem to draft them early and often this year. Vacuum cleaner hands. I don't believe Deshawn Jackson falls into that catigory. They are loaded with cap room. Wondering if the Wolf in New England is going to max out on Stallworth right now ?

Pantherstang84
01-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Why not Hotlanta ?

Well, my money says this was a Bud firing. Smells like it to me. Vincent digressed, you can't fire Vincent. I don't believe Jeff Fischer would knee jerk like this. Bud has made a habit of it for forty years.

Yep. If it quacks like a duck...

Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

Brando
01-17-2008, 08:21 PM
The Titans hired Mike Heimerdinger as offensive coordinator today.

edit: now I see the thread about the hiring.

b0ng
01-17-2008, 09:52 PM
I see AH, Scaife, Bironas, LaBoy or Odom, and Gage returning.

After Troupe got hit in the face with a ball and a couple huge drops in the endzone I can not see him returning. LaBoy will probably lose out to Odom. Gage was decent and should be a solid #2 for us. But our money has to be at the WR spot this off season.

I think the real problem is that there just aren't too many great WR's that will be available in the offseason this year. You've got Randy Moss (Who probably won't be available, but I think Stallworth will be) and then a bunch of other guys. Maybe Bernard Berrian might help, but even then, that's depending on how much he wants.

I think in the draft, you've got maybe 1 or 2 really good receivers (I think you guys should draft Sweed, but who knows if you should try to get him with your 1st, 2nd or 3rd pick), and then some more "other guys".

I know you fans probably want a whole bevy of WR's to come to town during training camp, but I don't know if forcing the issue when the talent isn't available is the smartest thing.

As far as the firing and hiring of OC's, the bootlegs and rollouts will probably be nice for VY's development, but I think having to learn a new offense might hinder the development a little. I don't expect Vince to throw up AS many picks as he did this year, but I don't think his production will skyrocket either. One thing, with more rollouts and possibly more VY running attack, the possibility of an injured VY is not out of the question either. I'm not saying I want it to happen like that, because I don't, but I think the more you run your running QB, and the more confidence he gets running, the better a chance he stands of costing himself the rest of the season. Again, this is just pointless speculation, but it's my take.

ChildressTitanMan
01-18-2008, 03:57 AM
I don't think Chow had any confidence in how he could use Young.The Pro game is too fast for Chow & he had no clue how to make adjustments after the opponents Defense had done so.

When Kerry Collins stood in for Young, Chow aired it out more & got the ball out quickly to protect the immobile Collins.We actually looked better with Chows offense with Collins under center but with either QB Chow was completely clueless & predictable when we got into the red zone.

Texan_Bill
01-18-2008, 08:02 AM
I don't think YOUNG had any confidence. The Pro game is too fast for YOUNG & he had no clue how to make adjustments after the opponents Defense had done so.

Fixed it for you....

bah007
01-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Fixed it for you....

Maybe you're both right...

Texan_Bill
01-18-2008, 09:21 AM
Maybe you're both right...

:hmmm:

ChildressTitanMan
01-18-2008, 09:46 AM
:hmmm: