PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Sparano to Dolphins / Garrett to Ravens

OzzO
01-15-2008, 07:43 AM
MIAMI -- At least one Dallas Cowboys player referred to assistant head coach Tony Sparano in the past tense Monday, because he may soon change teams.

The front-runner for the Miami Dolphins' head coaching job, Sparano became available for hire when the Cowboys lost their playoff game Sunday to the New York Giants.

"Tony was an unbelievable coach," Cowboys tight end Jason Witten said. "He'll be a great head coach, and this team will definitely miss him if he gets that opportunity."...

nfl.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d805fcdea&template=without-video&confirm=true)

Also, was trying to find a link somewhere as they noted it on the local news in Dallas but there's a rumor Garrett may be heading to the Ravens, possibly announced within a few days.

TEXANS84
01-15-2008, 07:44 AM
They said on the radio this morning that Garrett is heading back for a second interview....but I believe they said Miami.

scourge
01-15-2008, 09:35 AM
They said on the radio this morning that Garrett is heading back for a second interview....but I believe they said Miami.

he's heading back to Baltimore and Atlanta, it seams...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3196509

PapaL
01-15-2008, 09:41 AM
he's heading back to Baltimore and Atlanta, it seams...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3196509

Probably a connecting flight. :splits:

kastofsna
01-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Josh McDaniels should get the Atlanta gig.

bah007
01-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Heard from my brother that the Ravens have offered Garrett the head coaching job.

toronto
01-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Josh McDaniels should get the Atlanta gig.

You think he's ready for a HC job? I know he's done a hell of a job this year but he's barely over 30???

HoustonFrog
01-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Heard from my brother that the Ravens have offered Garrett the head coaching job.

They have but Jerry may counter

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3197523

Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett has been offered the Baltimore Ravens coaching position, sources told ESPN.

Garrett has not made a decision yet. But according to a league source, there is a "60-40'' chance that Garrett will ultimately accept the chance to succeed Brian Billick, who was fired after the regular season.

Garrett, who arrived at the Ravens' training complex for the second interview on Tuesday morning, was the first candidate to have call-back sessions with the Ravens and Atlanta Falcons.

According to a Cowboys source, Dallas owner Jerry Jones has communicated to Garrett without knowing exactly what the Ravens' financial offer might be that he would match it if Garrett rejects the Ravens' offer.

Jones has said he would compete for Garrett, not only because he has helped transform Tony Romo into one of the league's best young quarterbacks, but because the Cowboys owner views Garrett as potentially being his next head coach.

"There's a feeling that if Jason talks to Jerry last, Jerry can convince him to stay,'' the source said. "Jerry can be a very persuasive guy.''

bah007
01-15-2008, 02:12 PM
I would love to see Garrett stay in Dallas, but how long would he have to wait to get the head coaching job?

I like Wade, I think he did well this year.

Double Barrel
01-15-2008, 02:18 PM
A couple of myopic Cowboys fans I know have tried to convince me that Wade would be glad to step down to DC so Garrett could have the HC position. They said this is 'just the kind of guy he is'.

I find that very hard to believe, though. Even good ol' boy Wade Phillips has an ego.

bah007
01-15-2008, 02:20 PM
A couple of myopic Cowboys fans I know have tried to convince me that Wade would be glad to step down to DC so Garrett could have the HC position. They said this is 'just the kind of guy he is'.

I find that very hard to believe, though. Even good ol' boy Wade Phillips has an ego.

If he would do that then just fire him.

Who wants a wuss to run their defense in the NFL?

I cant see any coach in the NFL doing that

Texan_Bill
01-15-2008, 02:20 PM

I don't care who it is -or- what team it is, you DON'T just step down so someone else can 'have' the HC position... Someone that did that volunarily wouldn't deserve to be a waterboy, IMHO!!

Double Barrel
01-15-2008, 02:46 PM
If he would do that then just fire him.

Who wants a wuss to run their defense in the NFL?

I cant see any coach in the NFL doing that

I don't care who it is -or- what team it is, you DON'T just step down so someone else can 'have' the HC position... Someone that did that volunarily wouldn't deserve to be a waterboy, IMHO!!

Agreed. I thought the take was just whack, but par for the course with these dudes (as in them telling me Romo is already a HoF QB before he even won a playoff game).

kastofsna
01-15-2008, 02:53 PM
i don't think it's even allowed for head coaches to be demoted, even voluntarily.

bah007
01-16-2008, 08:24 AM
Agreed. I thought the take was just whack, but par for the course with these dudes (as in them telling me Romo is already a HoF QB before he even won a playoff game).

As a Cowboys fan also, it pains me to be associated in any way with any moron who has said this.

Romo hasnt even been a starter for two full seasons yet (26 games).

HoustonFrog
01-16-2008, 08:38 AM

Right on!

Wade is the HC because he thinks he can with a SB in Dallas. He didn't take it because he likes to sip lemonade on the porch until a successor can be found. I hope Garrett stays but I don't see it happening.

Hervoyel
01-16-2008, 08:53 AM

I think the closest you ever see to this happening involves the HC getting "promoted" into a front office type job (excluding the GM spot) and then retiring a year or so later when things quiet down. That's assuming the coach has an unbelievably good relationship with the team owner as well as with the assistant coach who would be stepping up to fill the HC job.

This is why I kind of chuckle when I read any hint of Dom Capers ever coaching a defense here in Houston. I seriously doubt that anyone who has been a HC somewhere would return as an assistant of any kind. Can anyone imagine Dick LeBeau going back to Cincinnati to coach their defense? Brian Billick returning to Baltimore in a couple of years to coach QB's? It just doesn't happen even under the best of circumstances. Maybe it's happened before a relative handful of times but it's way outside the norm.

bah007
01-16-2008, 09:09 AM
ESPN just reported on First Take that Sparano is the new Dolphins head coach.

The Pencil Neck
01-16-2008, 10:07 AM
i don't think it's even allowed for head coaches to be demoted, even voluntarily.

You have to pull a Gunther Cunningham. You become the coach. You get fired. You spend a year or two away. Then you get rehired as a coordinator.

drewmar74
01-16-2008, 10:13 AM
ESPN just reported on First Take that Sparano is the new Dolphins head coach.

Fox Sports is reporting it also.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7681946

"FOX Sports has learned that the Dolphins have tabbed Dallas assistant coach Tony Sparano as their new head coach, replacing the fired Cam Cameron.

Dolphins officials this morning phoned the other candidates who interviewed and informed them of the team's decision."

kastofsna
01-16-2008, 11:38 AM
finally. time to get things in order and go to the Senior Bowl.

kastofsna
01-16-2008, 12:00 PM
"Cowboys secondary coach Todd Bowles is expected to leave to become the Dolphins' assistant head coach, and Cowboys linebackers coach Paul Pasqualoni is expected to become the Dolphins' defensive coordinator. Both Bowles and Pasqualoni first joined the Cowboys staff in 2005, when Bill Parcells was head coach, and both of those moves could be announced soon, although the Dolphins technically can't hire either until their contracts expire next week."