PDA

View Full Version : From Monday Morning QB

The Pencil Neck
01-14-2008, 08:31 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/01/13/divisional/5.html

2. I think I've never seen a son follow in the footsteps of his coaching father quite like Kyle Shanahan with his dad, Mike. An offensive coordinator with the Texans at 28. Amazing. "His knowledge is far beyond his years,'' said Texans coach Gary Kubiak.

Obviously. But the hiring of Alex Gibbs, who has been such an excellent tactician in the running game, as assistant head coach, is just as important. It's likely Kubiak will still call the plays on offense, and Gibbs, who has coached offensive line play in the league for 23 years, will orchestrate the running game. It's a brilliant way to work Shanahan into a lead role in the offense over time, with two tutors he knows from his years being around his father, the Denver coach. That's where Kubiak and Gibbs cut their NFL teeth.

Smart move by Kubiak. Plus, the quarterbacks trust Shanahan and know he doesn't have his job just because he's Mike's son.

Didn't see it posted.

Hardcore Texan
01-14-2008, 09:26 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/01/13/divisional/5.html

2. I think I've never seen a son follow in the footsteps of his coaching father quite like Kyle Shanahan with his dad, Mike. An offensive coordinator with the Texans at 28. Amazing. "His knowledge is far beyond his years,'' said Texans coach Gary Kubiak.

Obviously. But the hiring of Alex Gibbs, who has been such an excellent tactician in the running game, as assistant head coach, is just as important. It's likely Kubiak will still call the plays on offense, and Gibbs, who has coached offensive line play in the league for 23 years, will orchestrate the running game. It's a brilliant way to work Shanahan into a lead role in the offense over time, with two tutors he knows from his years being around his father, the Denver coach. That's where Kubiak and Gibbs cut their NFL teeth.

Smart move by Kubiak. Plus, the quarterbacks trust Shanahan and know he doesn't have his job just because he's Mike's son.

Didn't see it posted.

Thanks for posting. A little national exposure, I like it.

:texflag:

IlliniJen
01-14-2008, 10:20 PM
That was a nice little piece. Some good pub and good point about allowing Mini Shanny to grow under the tutelage of two experienced offensive guys. I like the consistency of system now on offense, as we know we had a Frankenstein Kubes/Sherman system in place that just didn't quite feel right.

LonerATO
01-15-2008, 02:20 AM
Its good to see Peter King give some support to the Texans he never says much about them on Inside the NFL or in his column to often.

kiwitexansfan
01-15-2008, 02:44 AM
Its good to see Peter King give some support to the Texans he never says much about them on Inside the NFL or in his column to often.

Pretty sure in one of his recent columns he plugged us as an AFC wildcard team next year, dependent on how good Schaub is, so he has been giving us some love.

Maddict5
01-15-2008, 04:55 AM
c. I wouldn't put Sunday's game on my free-agent highlight DVD if I were you, Michael Turner.

:confused: did i miss something??

Dallas_Texan
01-15-2008, 09:44 AM
:confused: did i miss something??

I realize you mean, did you miss something, b/c he played pretty well (as far as stats show), but get this.....I sat there on Sunday, watching some God aweful movie on Starz waiting for the games to come on at 3:30pm...that's right...games plural!! I thought the games were 3:30pm and 7:00pm just like Sat. Do you know how Hacked I was that I missed the Colts getting beat, AND getting to see Turner in action!! :gun: :gun: :gun: :gun:

Maddict5
01-15-2008, 11:43 AM
I realize you mean, did you miss something, b/c he played pretty well (as far as stats show), but get this.....I sat there on Sunday, watching some God aweful movie on Starz waiting for the games to come on at 3:30pm...that's right...games plural!! I thought the games were 3:30pm and 7:00pm just like Sat. Do you know how Hacked I was that I missed the Colts getting beat, AND getting to see Turner in action!! :gun: :gun: :gun: :gun:

i fecked up too on saturday.. i was watching some crappy film and didnt realise the GB game had started- when i flicked on it was 14-0 seattle so i still saw the best of it

i watched the game and he ran well as well as his stats (plus indy werent exactly worried about billy volek).. but i was on the comp at the same time so might have missed something and i just wondered what hes talking about

mexican_texan
01-15-2008, 06:32 PM
He has something good to say about us every two or three weeks.