PDA

View Full Version : Philip Rivers is a punk

Mr. White
01-14-2008, 08:20 AM
Looks like PFT (http://http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm) is seeing the same thing that I've been seeing since the last Denver/SD game. I thought that he looked like a jerk-off when he was on the field trash-talking Jay Cutler.

He reinforced my perception while he was jawing with Indy fans when he was walking off the field during the 3rd quarter to the locker room.

Then I read this. Now there's no doubt.

RIVERS NEEDS TO GROW UP

One thing that has been sticking in our craw (we'll feel even more strongly about that once we figure out what a craw is) is the post-game antics of Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers, who was openly jawing with Colts fans after the Chargers sealed an incredible and unlikely road win to close out the RCA Dome.

It's the latest instance of Rivers acting like a punk, and he needs to grow up if he plans to become a respected NFL quarterback. All too often, he has the demeanor of a spoiled-rotten 10-year-old who neither knows how to control his inner emotions, nor cares.

The sad part is that he's becoming an excellent NFL quarterback, justifying the team's decision to keep him instead of Drew Brees. But he's also becoming the worst kind of asshole -- a reckless asshole who makes no effort to temper his tantrums, or to pick his battles.

At a minimum, he deserves a fine for his interactions with the Indy fans. Catching abuse from the home team's partisans goes with the territory. The players in every instance need to be the ones who defuse the situation by ignoring the things they hear, or by responding on the field.

I didn't see his exchange with Indy's fans after the game, but he was on the sideline while Volek clinched the victory. What a douchebag.

I hope that it snows in New England this weekend and he catches a snow-covered size D battery to the side of his dome.

Since the Texans weren't involved, I've been pretty impartial during the playoffs. But now I finally have a rooting interest and it's anyone who can hurry up and send this bastard to the golf course.

Texan_Bill
01-14-2008, 08:35 AM
I didn't mind the running to the locker room saying "I'll be back" or whatever, my problem was after he came back out from the locker room, couldn't go and yet was jawing with the fans behind the bench.... but either way, yes, he is a douche.

Vinny
01-14-2008, 08:49 AM
I like Rivers...he is a fiery competitor. He's not one of the cloned up shiny happy people. Way too many yes-men running around today.

Texan_Bill
01-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Notice that I did not critique his play on the field, because I do agree with you Vinny... He is a fiery competitor. I just have an issue with someone jawing with the fans when it was clear that he was injured and would not return.

I thought it was pretty evident that he (Rivers) was not going to return when there was a close-up of LT talking to Rivers on the sidelines and it appeared that LT asked Rivers a question.. LT did not like the response and kind of winced as he turned away... I suspected then, that Rivers was not coming back in.

HOU-TEX
01-14-2008, 09:35 AM
I like Rivers...he is a fiery competitor. He's not one of the cloned up shiny happy people. Way too many yes-men running around today.

Yes, but is he good enough to talk smack? I don't think he is. He and Crayton need to shut their hole and play ball.

Texan_Bill
01-14-2008, 09:39 AM
He was playing pretty well yesterday...until he got hurt.

Vinny
01-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Yes, but is he good enough to talk smack? I don't think he is. He and Crayton need to shut their hole and play ball.
eh, smoke em if you got em....its a fiery emotional game. I think the league and the fans try to take the emotion out of the games too often. Let em jaw, and let em play. It all sorts itself out at the end of the day.

HOU-TEX
01-14-2008, 09:51 AM
eh, smoke em if you got em....its a fiery emotional game. I think the league and the fans try to take the emotion out of the games too often. Let em jaw, and let em play. It all sorts itself out at the end of the day.

Different strokes, I guess. IMO, there are stripes that should be earned before 'X' player begins to talk smack. :cool:

Vinny
01-14-2008, 09:54 AM
Different strokes, I guess. IMO, there are stripes that should be earned before 'X' player begins to talk smack. :cool:
yeah, talking without having anything to back it up has a cost....but the cost is usually on the field. It's like a free market economy - you can bring any hairbrained product to the market but nobody has to buy it.

Marcus
01-14-2008, 09:54 AM
So why is it OK for the fans to act like punks, but not the players?

Because the players shouldn't sink down the 'fans' level? Oh, OK! :rolleyes:

As long as you can back up the smack with play on the field, bring it on. Rivers clearly backed it up.

Mr. White
01-14-2008, 09:56 AM
Being a fiery competitor is great and all, but it comes back to bite you in the ass. I lost a lot of respect for LT last year when he cried about the way the Pats acted during their playoff game.

Seems to me like he needs to go tell Merriman and Rivers to shut the hell up while he's at it.

toronto
01-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Being a fiery competitor is great and all, but it comes back to bite you in the ass. I lost a lot of respect for LT last year when he cried about the way the Pats acted during their playoff game.

Seems to me like he needs to go tell Merriman and Rivers to shut the hell up while he's at it.

I think it's appropriate that Rivers gets to play a player I consider the dirtiest in the NFL next Sunday in Harrison. That alone is worth the price of admission. Also, their whining began in earnest when the Pats had the audacity to celebrate their upset last year in the playoffs by dancing at the center of the field, which was also where the Chargers logo was. Guess now they have their chance to get revenge and end this chip on their shoulder crap that clearly has developed.

Besides, who wouldn't want to see that really cool Norv shuffle again? :gun:

Double Barrel
01-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Colts fans are a classless bunch. Did you hear them BOOO the kid who won the punt/pass contest? (or whatever it's called now)

It was a little kid wearing a Patriots jersey, as each of them wore different teams unis. But they BOOO'ed the kid!!

Real classy there, Colts fan. Yet another reason not to like your team.

I have no problem with what Rivers did. He just got tired of the verbal abuse and threw it back at them. Perfect. The long faces on Colts fans faces, along with Dungy and Manning, were just beautiful.

toronto
01-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Colts fans are a classless bunch. Did you hear them BOOO the kid who won the punt/pass contest? (or whatever it's called now)

It was a little kid wearing a Patriots jersey, as each of them wore different teams unis. But they BOOO'ed the kid!!

I have no problem with what Rivers did. He just got tired of the verbal abuse and threw it back at them. Perfect. The long faces on Colts fans faces, along with Dungy and Manning, were just beautiful.

LOL they boo a rival kid (like if it's in Cleveland they would boo the kid from Pittsburgh) every year. I always LMAO when it happens.

I agree on Manning and it still kills me that the poser got his ring last year. Dungy? I have always respected him and wish he coached another team than one I have to hate.

Mr. White
01-14-2008, 10:32 AM
That alone is worth the price of admission. Also, their whining began in earnest when the Pats had the audacity to celebrate their upset last year in the playoffs by dancing at the center of the field, which was also where the Chargers logo was. Guess now they have their chance to get revenge and end this chip on their shoulder crap that clearly has developed.

It wasn't real cool to dance on another team's logo, but LT was also crying about them making fun of Merriman's stupid sack dance.

I don't care what LT says. That queer WWE dance is fair game. That dance put Merriman pretty high up the flagpole (to use a Roger-ism.)

toronto
01-14-2008, 10:38 AM
It wasn't real cool to dance on another team's logo, but LT was also crying about them making fun of Merriman's stupid sack dance.

I don't care what LT says. That queer WWE dance is fair game. That dance put Merriman pretty high up the flagpole (to use a Roger-ism.)

I think it's going to be academic. The Pats will destroy them, but the Chargers will have the built in excuse that LT and Rivers played hurt and the whining will resume.

Yawn.

Mr. White
01-14-2008, 10:41 AM
This (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/12/25/phillip-rivers-talks-trash-to-jay-cutler/) is the incident that first had me thinking this guy is a jerk-off. Yesterday's antics don't have me thinking any different.

The video speaks for itself. Maybe you guys see a fiery competitor, but I just see a mediocre douchebag with a bunch of Pro-Bowlers around him.

Corrosion
01-14-2008, 10:49 AM
Anyone know what Rivers actually said to these guy's .... If I were in his shoes I probably woulda told the Indy fans to look at the scoreboard and enjoy their vacation cause I have a date in Foxborough !

PapaL
01-14-2008, 11:14 AM
So it's ok for the fans to trash talk him but when he replies in kind he's a douche bag? Ahh whatever.

Like him or not, he's done something we haven't done - beat the Colts at home rested in the PLAYOFFS.

PapaL
01-14-2008, 11:16 AM

I did chuckle that they boo'd a 12 year girl winner because she was wearing her Pats jersey; it is pretty bad to boo a kid.

Hardcore Texan
01-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Notice that I did not critique his play on the field, because I do agree with you Vinny... He is a fiery competitor. I just have an issue with someone jawing with the fans when it was clear that he was injured and would not return.

I thought it was pretty evident that he (Rivers) was not going to return when there was a close-up of LT talking to Rivers on the sidelines and it appeared that LT asked Rivers a question.. LT did not like the response and kind of winced as he turned away... I suspected then, that Rivers was not coming back in.

I saw the same thing and thought he must have just told LT that he can't go back in and LT was ticked off they were both out of the game.

After the game was sealed at the end, Rivers turned around towards the stands, took a few quick steps and started talking smack to the fans behind him who were probably already saying stuff.

I thought that was immature of him, just be humble in your victory. And if you saw it, the fan in the grey sweatshirt, kind of hunched over and flipped him off.....that fan should be thrown out for that.

Mr. White
01-14-2008, 11:55 AM
So it's ok for the fans to trash talk him but when he replies in kind he's a douche bag? Ahh whatever.

Like him or not, he's done something we haven't done - beat the Colts at home rested in the PLAYOFFS.

See post #17 again for when he officially received douchebag status.

He probably has a long history of douchebaggery. It's just that none of the nerds that he's picked on throughout grade school have come forward yet.

This is the face of an Eddie Haskell....the kind of guy that'll come over and try to hit on your mom after you took the rap for him and ended up in Saturday detention.

http://o.aolcdn.com/art/sportsdata/nfl/players/hs_6763.jpg

Marcus
01-14-2008, 12:14 PM

That's what I can't figure out either. If the fans do it, it's called "trash talk", but if the players do it, they're a punk? Well, IMO, if the "trash talking" fans don't want the players to respond in kind, then these so-called fans can STFU!

And about these ridiculous sack dances, everytime I see any player doing that, I wish every single player on the other team would stomp his guts into the ground. They already have penalties for excessive celebration, and they already have penalties for taunting. And the reason is because that behavior led to fights, and "ugly incidents" that the public conscious NFL seeks to avoid. I think it's high time for an ugly incident to occur the next time someone does one of those stupid sack dances.

Texan_Bill
01-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Again, I only have an issue with the timing of talking trash....

A) He knew he was out of the game and,

B) as a team leader and starting QB, I would think that he would have been better served offering Billy Volek advice and stay in the game that way.

Double Barrel
01-14-2008, 12:19 PM
And about these ridiculous sack dances, everytime I see any player doing that, I wish every single player on the other team would stomp his guts into the ground. They already have penalties for excessive celebration, and they already have penalties for taunting. And the reason is because that behavior led to fights, and "ugly incidents" that the public conscious NFL seeks to avoid. I think it's high time for an ugly incident to occur the next time someone does one of those stupid sack dances.

The dances you've got to love are the ones where a defender goes crazy after...making a tackle. Isn't that their job? idonno:

Txn_in_Oki
01-14-2008, 12:28 PM
So why is it OK for the fans to act like punks, but not the players?

Because the players shouldn't sink down the 'fans' level? Oh, OK! :rolleyes:

As long as you can back up the smack with play on the field, bring it on. Rivers clearly backed it up.

No kidding. I don't get how fans can yell and scream and ***** at a player, tell him he sucks, talk about his momma, blah blah blah... and hey... everything is okay because I paid for the ticket. The minute the player starts yakking back, people's feeling start getting hurt.

Boo Hoo.

Marcus
01-14-2008, 12:30 PM
The dances you've got to love are the ones where a defender goes crazy after...making a tackle. Isn't that their job? idonno:

Don't play dumb with me, DB. You know the difference between what's over the line, and what's not. If you get a sack, and you want to stay there and get high fives from your players, that's one thing. But running off by yourself 40 yards down the field, and making a spectacle isn't.

Mr. White
01-14-2008, 12:42 PM

Rivers didn't back up ****. Volek did. Rivers was on the sideline jawing with fans while Volek was putting the game away.

If Rivers would have come back in the game and put it away, then he would have every right to talk trash to the fans. He left for the locker room telling them "I'll be back" in the 3rd quarter.

Guess what?

He didn't come back. He just hung out on the sideline and talked trash to fans while the 2nd teamers were putting the game away.

Specnatz
01-14-2008, 01:12 PM

Don't play dumb with me, DB. You know the difference between what's over the line, and what's not. If you get a sack, and you want to stay there and get high fives from your players, that's one thing. But running off by yourself 40 yards down the field, and making a spectacle isn't.

My personal favorite is when a D-player makes a tackle after O-player makes a first down and he has to show boat.

Ummmm shouldn't you have made the tackle before he got the first down?

Texan_Bill
01-14-2008, 01:18 PM

My personal favorite is when a D-player makes a tackle after O-player makes a first down and he has to show boat.

Ummmm shouldn't you have made the tackle before he got the first down?

Are you kidding me?? How about the DB's that for all intents and purposes got burned but the QB overthrows the ball a bit... and they celebrate it like they actually did something on the play.... :pirate:

michaelm
01-14-2008, 01:24 PM

You misunderstood, Marcus. DB was basically saying that players shouldn't celebrate after a basic tackle...
...great, you made a tackle, it's your job. Now shut your yapper, and act like you've been there before.

WWJD
01-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Use some self control Phillip...ignore the fans. Tune them out. That's what most players do.

ATX
01-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Use some self control Phillip...ignore the fans. Tune them out. That's what most players do.

He probably just got tired of hearing that damn speaker behind him pumping in crowd noise.

Double Barrel
01-14-2008, 01:44 PM

You misunderstood, Marcus. DB was basically saying that players shouldn't celebrate after a basic tackle...
...great, you made a tackle, it's your job. Now shut your yapper, and act like you've been there before.

yep, michaelm understood my point. Thanks, man. :thumbup

(I know it's a weird feeling, Marcus, but I was in basic agreement with your point, and I was elaborating on the stupidity of excessive celebrations)

WWJD
01-14-2008, 01:47 PM
I wouldn't condemn the Colts fans...they looked really into the game, loud...lots of blue.

Like I said he should be a big boy..ignore people if they're being nasty. There is probably not a single NFL player that hasn't been called out by some ***** in the stands. Walk away. Tune them out. IGNORE them.

Marcus
01-14-2008, 03:11 PM
yep, michaelm understood my point. Thanks, man. :thumbup

(I know it's a weird feeling, Marcus, but I was in basic agreement with your point, and I was elaborating on the stupidity of excessive celebrations)

I went back and re-read it, sorry for misinterpreting. :embarrass

austintexanite
01-14-2008, 03:15 PM
I like his emotion for the game, but he has to learn to ignore fans. Hopefully the the coaches or someone will tell him to quit acting like a kid and start acting like a man.

Double Barrel
01-14-2008, 03:28 PM
I went back and re-read it, sorry for misinterpreting. :embarrass

Not a problem at all, my friend. Turn that frown upside down! :)

PapaL
01-14-2008, 05:12 PM
See post #17 again for when he officially received douchebag status.

He probably has a long history of douchebaggery. It's just that none of the nerds that he's picked on throughout grade school have come forward yet.

This is the face of an Eddie Haskell....the kind of guy that'll come over and try to hit on your mom after you took the rap for him and ended up in Saturday detention.

http://o.aolcdn.com/art/sportsdata/nfl/players/hs_6763.jpg

Big Deal. These are grown men competing against each other. So much crap is flung on the field it's ridiculous. So the camera's caught him talking to Cutler, and? Did they catch everything that had been exchanged all game long? Do we know the whole the story? Your taking an isolated clip and making assumptions off of it.

PapaL
01-14-2008, 05:14 PM

You mean when you do your job you don't shoot a jumper? Do the Merriman roid rage dance? Act like your digging?

I use to run around and chest bump everyone after successfully sending an email; that is until the sexual harassment lawsuit happened.

PapaL
01-14-2008, 05:18 PM

All it takes is a couple of jackarses injuring themselves while celebrating. You think Strahan would do his little jumper if upon landing he broke his ankle? A couple of high 5's are cool but get back and get to work.

Texan_Bill
01-14-2008, 05:43 PM
All it takes is a couple of jackarses injuring themselves while celebrating.

Celebrations never wind up in injury!!

Signed,
Gus Frerrotte and Bill Grammattica

Mr. White
01-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Your taking an isolated clip and making assumptions off of it.

No joke. I saw enough at that point to assume that he might be a douchebag. I started thinking it might be a possibility when I saw him on his own sideline arguing with his coaches and teammates.

Then add the other isolated clip of jawing with fans while he's laying on the trainer's table. Then add the isolated clip of him jawing with the fans in the stands when he's on his way to the locker room. Then add the other isolated clip of him leaving the field jawing with fans after Volek won the game for him.

Judging from the other comments in the thread and in the media, I'm not alone in my assumption.

If it looks like a douchebag and walks like a douchebag.....

drewmar74
01-14-2008, 06:10 PM
No joke. I saw enough at that point to assume that he might be a douchebag. I started thinking it might be a possibility when I saw him on his own sideline arguing with his coaches and teammates.

Then add the other isolated clip of jawing with fans while he's laying on the trainer's table. Then add the isolated clip of him jawing with the fans in the stands when he's on his way to the locker room. Then add the other isolated clip of him leaving the field jawing with fans after Volek won the game for him.

Judging from the other comments in the thread and in the media, I'm not alone in my assumption.

I actually started contemplating that he was a douchebag back during the exchange between him and Cutler. Admittedly, I thought that they were both being douchebags at the time, but the game in Indy definitely cemented Rivers' douchebag status to me for the reasons noted above.

Double Barrel
01-14-2008, 06:30 PM
You mean when you do your job you don't shoot a jumper? Do the Merriman roid rage dance? Act like your digging?

I use to run around and chest bump everyone after successfully sending an email; that is until the sexual harassment lawsuit happened.

I always do the funky chicken dance when I succesfully unload a truck. Drivers always give me a funny look, too, but I just get in their grill, yell "I must protect this warehouse!", and beat my chest until they sign the paperwork and leave.

Fox
01-14-2008, 06:41 PM
The guy's a douche in my book. Talking a little smack on the field is fine with me. A little celebration and/or jawing after a big play is fine by me. Talking trash to fans on the sidelines once the game is already in hand and jeering opposing team's quarterbacks from the sidelines is cowardly for one (you don't see him acting so emphatically when the game is close), and for two it's frankly a little classless. I don't think the drunk obnoxious fans that yell obscenities at players are too classy and I certainly don't think Rivers is showing much class as a figure head of his organization by acknowledging and taking part in their stupidity.

My big problem with him though was the Denver game. I've never seen one quarterback deride another one like that on national television with no provocation.

imatexan
01-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Rivers is fun QB to watch. I like it when guys get into the game like this. He did nothing wrong. When he was walking to the locker rooms Colts fans were yelling stuff at him soo he was smiling and responding...he was not even pissed off.

Maddict5
01-15-2008, 05:38 AM

lol theres lots of fiery competitors- you do it on the field though.. you dont 'compete' with fans by acting like an ass or taunt the other qbs especially when he pretty much sucked alot of the season aswell (he played well v the colts and they crown him?)

Maddict5
01-15-2008, 05:41 AM

lol remember the first tacks game when LT got up and walked away when rivers sat down next to him like ' i cant manage dealing with this ass ight now'

granted i think LT also registers (although alot lower) on the douche scale but still thought it was funny

bah007
01-15-2008, 01:55 PM
lol remember the first tacks game when LT got up and walked away when rivers sat down next to him like ' i cant manage dealing with this ass ight now'

granted i think LT also registers (although alot lower) on the douche scale but still thought it was funny

No way LT is a douche.

But he is a sore loser & sometimes a crybaby.

GP
01-15-2008, 05:29 PM
I excuse Rivers' behavior vs. the Colts.

We're talking about the Colts here. They act like they are the big stuff, and they have a QB who likes to rub our faces in it. Well, I kinda' thought it was great to see it get rubbed into THEIR faces for a change.

I understand how some people think that the Colts are a great, wholesome team with a standup coach and squeaky clean QB who seems to always do and say the right things. But in reality, IMO, they are playing it up way too much and they try to be the ying to the Patriots' yang.

I have virtually little respect for Peyton Manning because he uses his greatness to an extreme. For a guy to chew out his teammates when they don't convert 3rd and whatever...when they're up by 4 TDs late in the game...is not just a guy who wants to do well. It's a guy who is seriously out of touch with the concept of sportsmanship--BTW, it's the same sort of problem that everyone accuses the Patriots for having.

So, I rather enjoyed seeing Rivers give it right back to spoiled Colts fans--The same fans who routinely sit back on Sundays and eagerly watch their team's QB dismantle people and refuse to take his foot off the other team's throat even when the game is definitely out of reach for the opponent.

I loved every second of it. Long live Sir Douchebag!

drewmar74
01-15-2008, 06:13 PM
So, I rather enjoyed seeing Rivers give it right back to spoiled Colts fans--The same fans who routinely sit back on Sundays and eagerly watch their team's QB dismantle people and refuse to take his foot off the other team's throat even when the game is definitely out of reach for the opponent.

I loved every second of it. Long live Sir Douchebag!

So do you condone Rivers being a douchebag, or simply condone him being a douchebag when he's playing the Colts?

adam
01-15-2008, 11:02 PM
Ryan Leaf that can throw, hmm.

Either way, it doesn't bother me. Colts fans are some of the most spoiled rotten brats that I have ever had to share the stands with. Glad to see someone give them hell.

GP
01-16-2008, 12:12 AM
So do you condone Rivers being a douchebag, or simply condone him being a douchebag when he's playing the Colts?

I think the sports media has been cramming Peyton Manning and Tom Brady down our throats, as if they are the only two QBs in the league right now. Rivers' TD pass between two DBs, to Vincent Jackson, was a verrrry nice pass with great touch and perfect timing. Why isn't anybody talking about how that particular pass, against what I think has been rated as the league's top-rated pass defense, IIRC, was a crucial "clutch play" that practically kept the Chargers in the game?

Rivers might jack his jaw, but Peyton Manning does his trash talking in a different way: By mercilessly slaughtering his opponent and racking up stats in garbage time. Plus, I think fans get a free pass too often. Grown people who PAY to watch a game they aren't good enough to play themselves have no right to bait others (players) into getting into those sorts of tit-for-tat situations. How this is all Rivers' fault is beyond me.

People can cry about a player's over-reaction to a fan's taunts ("Ignore the fan and just walk away...") all they want, but I was glad to see a guy give it right back to a bunch of twirps who sit up in the stands and use the distance between them as a way to act like they can verbally abuse a player and just continue to get away with it.

Who was it, in the older NFL days, who actually ran up into the stands and pursued a fan for acting like this? People should watch how they act, and they better be ready to be held physically accountable for their mouths.

Having said all of that, I am really looking forward to the Chargers-Pats game. If anything, this has added more spice and flavor to the game. I think the Pats are going to OWN the Chargers on the field, but it will have been made more fun to have watched the game (even in a blowout) just to see the drama that will unfold on the field between Rivers and everyone else on the Pats' side (fans included). I'm going to have my popcorn ready.

And to answer your question: I am unsure how I feel about Rivers' douchebaggedness vs. other teams and other teams' fans, but I am very certain that I enjoy seeing Peyton and the Colts fans getting a dose of douche sprayed on them. I hope Dungy retires, and I hope this marks the beginning of a slow death for the mighty Colts...it has to end SOMETIME!

hot pickle
01-16-2008, 07:47 AM
i like rivers' attitude... not alot of QB talk trash like that and i like it... to bad he cant back it up consistantly

Mr. White
01-16-2008, 08:19 AM
Ryan Leaf that can throw, hmm.

That's exactly the thought that came to my mind. When you look at a big white guy in a Chargers uniform that's making an ass of himself, you think about Ryan Leaf.

I was actually having Ryan Leaf flashbacks on Sunday.

Don't get me wrong. As a Texans fan, it doesn't hurt my feelings one bit to see the Colts or their fans go down.

I just won't mind seeing Ryan Le....errr Philip Rivers get what's coming to him for his history of douchebaggery. It'll be fun to watch this guy flame out.

HoustonFrog
01-16-2008, 08:30 AM
I'm torn on this. I think Rivers is a douche because he isn't that good (he did well Sunday) and he taunts. But overall I don't mind a little trash talk if you can back it up. I played football, basketball and baseball in high school. I remember going to some places where the fans were complete a-holes and the other team talked junk. It was fun to talk noise with them, especially if getting the best of them.

I guess the difference is I was in high school and these guys are pros, so they should conduct themselves differently. Rivers bothers me because he really doesn't carry his team and many times this year has played horribly yet he still talks. Overall though he should show some professionalism, good or not. Larry Bird was allegedly the biggest trash talker around but he also schooled almost anyone and he wasn't that way with the fans. I couldn't stand him..I was a guy who rooted for Showtime during those duels...but he was awesome

bah007
01-16-2008, 08:46 AM
Rivers might jack his jaw, but Peyton Manning does his trash talking in a different way: By mercilessly slaughtering his opponent and racking up stats in garbage time.

Not quite sure I agree with that.

Manning is obviously one of the most competitive players in the league, but I dont quite think that is the same thing as talking trash.

Is Michael Jordan a punk cuz he scored in the 4th quarter of a game that was surely over?

HOU-TEX
01-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Is it me? Or is the word douche being overused in this thread? Calling someone a water bottle doesn't sound as harsh as an asshat.:thinking:

Asshat>Douche

drewmar74
01-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Is it me? Or is the word douche being overused in this thread? Calling someone a water bottle doesn't sound as harsh as an asshat.:thinking:

Asshat>Douche

Don't get me wrong, asshat is a timeless classic. So said, calling someone a "receptacle into which used water from washing a woman's nether regions flows" has its own intrinsic charm.

Texan_Bill
01-16-2008, 04:50 PM

DB.. Have you seen this:

Owner Robert Kraft takes exception
to a teenage Patriots fan being jeered
in Indianapolis.

Patriots to honor young fan booed in Indianapolis

By HOWARD ULMAN, AP Sports Writer
January 15, 2008

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) -- Patriots owner Robert Kraft sat behind his wide desk and marveled at how his team's jersey could be the target of so many boos -- even when it's worn by a 14-year-old girl.

This wasn't Randy Moss or Rodney Harrison hearing the catcalls. They're used to it.

This was Anna Grant, a high school freshman who had worked hard to win the Punt, Pass & Kick competition in her age group as the team's representative.

When she was introduced along with the other winners before the fourth quarter of San Diego's playoff win last Sunday, she was the only one booed by the crowd in Indianapolis, home of New England's fiercest rival.

"Why should a champion be booed?" the boss of the three-time Super Bowl winners said Tuesday. "She won an intensive competition. She's supposed to be honored."

Patriots to Honor Young fan Booed in Indianapolis (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-patriotsprogress&prov=ap&type=lgns)

PapaL
01-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Because America dislikes the Patriots and their success. Even their girls win. WTH? I bet she cheated. Must have videotaped the competition.

Double Barrel
01-16-2008, 05:48 PM
DB.. Have you seen this:

Patriots to Honor Young fan Booed in Indianapolis (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-patriotsprogress&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Cool to hear. He's one of the classy owners to take notice of the little things.

GP
01-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Not quite sure I agree with that.

Manning is obviously one of the most competitive players in the league, but I dont quite think that is the same thing as talking trash.

Is Michael Jordan a punk cuz he scored in the 4th quarter of a game that was surely over?

Yep. A superstar needs to put the game out of reach, and then go to the bench.

First off, it keeps them from potentially getting injured for no good reason. Secondly, it shows that you can win graciously and not be consumed with embarrassing the other team.

I equate what Manning does to what Rivers does. The only difference is that most people will veil Manning's antics as something that is a result of a player (Manning) just being ultra-competitive and wanting to be perfect in what he does. It's a cop out, IMO. Manning loves to gut his opponents as much as the Patriots do. But the Patriots are "evil" for doing it. Riiiiiight.

I get more upset by Peyton having a nervous breakdown after a 3-and-out while he's up by 4 TDs with 1:32 left in the 4th than I do with Rivers making a bunch of Colts fans shut up and take their medicine.

Specnatz
01-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Yep. A superstar needs to put the game out of reach, and then go to the bench.

First off, it keeps them from potentially getting injured for no good reason. Secondly, it shows that you can win graciously and not be consumed with embarrassing the other team.

I equate what Manning does to what Rivers does. The only difference is that most people will veil Manning's antics as something that is a result of a player (Manning) just being ultra-competitive and wanting to be perfect in what he does. It's a cop out, IMO. Manning loves to gut his opponents as much as the Patriots do. But the Patriots are "evil" for doing it. Riiiiiight.

I get more upset by Peyton having a nervous breakdown after a 3-and-out while he's up by 4 TDs with 1:32 left in the 4th than I do with Rivers making a bunch of Colts fans shut up and take their medicine.

Does your boss pay you for getting the job 3/4 done or all the way done?

HoustonFrog
01-17-2008, 09:09 AM

Asshat>Douche

I love asshat but I have used douche for a long time now and it really fits sometimes.:)

Texan_Bill
01-17-2008, 10:00 AM
I love asshat but I have used douche for a long time now and it really fits sometimes.:)

Frog..... You really may want to re-word this post...

"...love asshat".........."I have used douche...." :hmmm:

:jk:

HOU-TEX
01-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Frog..... You really may want to re-word this post...

'...love asshat'..........I have used douch....' :hmmm:

:jk:

You forgot "and it really fits sometimes" LMAO!

Just messin Frog. :shades:

HoustonFrog
01-17-2008, 10:06 AM
You forgot "and it really fits sometimes" LMAO!

Just messin Frog. :shades:

Huhuhuhu...Good stuff from both of you:)

http://i5.tinypic.com/8ek8nyh.jpg

GP
01-18-2008, 09:09 AM
Does your boss pay you for getting the job 3/4 done or all the way done?

??? LOL. That's a pretty weak statement if you're trying to make a point against what I am saying. If the Colts win, then they got the job done. The point difference is not what you measure yourself upon. The task is to get a win.

If you want to compare this to a "job situation," then I would say that Peyton is the guy who gets his job done, but then stays at the office until 10 p.m. every day (even on weekends) and is there again at 5 a.m. every day before anybody else is at work. It's o-v-e-r-k-i-l-l. There's a fine line between being a hard worker and being obssessive to the point of rendering yourself practically useless to the world around you.

You have to wonder how much longer guys like Dallas Clark can "buy into" the Manning Method. He's been on-record as saying that playing for Peyton means that you better not mess up when he gets you the ball or you might never see it again for a long time.

We saw a lot of drops in Colts/Chargers, and I wonder if the guys are just beginning to check out a little; beginning to grow tired of the demand for perfection. I think, at some point, you ask yourself "Could I be just as happy somewhere else...without being asked to be a robot, and not fearing that I might not get the ball thrown to me if I'm not perfect all the time?" I dunno. I saw a very uninspired Colts team last week. They looked nothing like the Colts. The Colts normally dissect any defensive challenge that's thrown their way--They find a way to win.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it looks like football has not been fun for the Colts players for awhile now. Brady and Favre yuck it up with their guys, slapping each other on the helmet...or running up to them and embracing them after a score. Not so with Peyton. He pumps his fist, then runs right off to the sideline and gets busy looking at paperwork on the bench. He's a robot. And while they got the team a long way, even a SB ring, you just have to wonder if Peyton's strength (his stoic resolve and emotionless pursuit of perfection) has now become his greatest weakness.

It's been said that our weakness is our strength carried to an extreme. Maybe it really is a possibility that without Dungy, a guy who seems to "care" and seems to be a "nice guy," the Colts might implode.

Specnatz
01-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Are you wanting the in @ 9 out 5 method? I rather have the over kill method and always win versus the allternative.

If they do not want want to work harder than anyone else and win then goto the Falcons, Lions or the Cardinals and lose all the damn time. Demanding perfection is not a bad thing in sports, as far as drops and not seeing the ball, it sure did not effect Clark and Manning this year because Clark had 12 and in a very crucial down he was thrown the ball. So I do not believe that arguement unless it is used for a young player, meaning a rookie or a guy in his second year.

michaelm
01-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Don't get me wrong, asshat is a timeless classic. So said, calling someone a "receptacle into which used water from washing a woman's nether regions flows" has its own intrinsic charm.

I'm down with douche or asshat, but would like to throw "f---hole" and "toss pot" out there for future consideration...

BTW, isn't your definition of douche bag backwards... I thought it was the receptacle that holds the cleaning solution, prior to defunkifying activities... or are we talking about the used cleaning fluids themselves? eeewwwwwwww....