PDA

View Full Version : Larry Allen to Retire

HOU-TEX
01-11-2008, 11:26 AM
I think most have already seen or heard the news that Larry Allen will retire, but I noticed it wasn't posted. I've always liked Larry Allen for some reason. Yes, even when he was with the Cowpatties. I believe it probably has something to do with his quiet but happy demeanor. It seemed he was laughing everytime they'd get him on camera during the Pro-Bowl events.

Anyways, let's hear some props for one of the big nasties that has played the game the right way. :)

San Francisco's offense was thrown for a loss Thursday, when a source close to 49ers guard Larry Allen said the 11-time Pro-Bowl and future Hall-of-Fame selection is expected to retire.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d805e35f6&template=without-video&confirm=true

HoustonFrog
01-11-2008, 11:30 AM
I still remember him running down the guy after the interception. He was always a favorite of mine and I was sad when he left the Cowboys...or was nudged out.

HOU-TEX
01-11-2008, 11:38 AM
I still remember him running down the guy after the interception. He was always a favorite of mine and I was sad when he left the Cowboys...or was nudged out.

You know, after reading the article it left me wondering why he ever left the cowboys. The article said he and Jones are somewhat close.

Eh, who knows? Maybe they thought he was getting a bit "long in the tooth".

WWJD
01-11-2008, 11:44 AM
I think Larry is from the Bay area and wanted a chance to play close to his roots.

He was scary good in his heyday. HOF.

HoustonFrog
01-11-2008, 11:47 AM
You know, after reading the article it left me wondering why he ever left the cowboys. The article said he and Jones are somewhat close.

Eh, who knows? Maybe they thought he was getting a bit "long in the tooth".

I think it was a combination of things. He had always been a high contract guy for them..rightfully so..and when it came time to make some cap space they decided that his age made him a guy they could move on without. He had some injuries and he really did have a down year or two. But I think he took it well and played it out with SF.

HOU-TEX
01-11-2008, 11:48 AM
I think Larry is from the Bay area and wanted a chance to play close to his roots.

He was scary good in his heyday. HOF.

I think he's still pretty dadgum good. Yes, most definitely a first ballot HOFer.

Texan_Bill
01-11-2008, 12:46 PM
My hatred of the Cowboys aside, Larry Allen was great.... As WWJD & Frog said 'HOF' and 'Yes, most definitely a first ballot HOFer'

austintexanite
01-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Hate the team from south Oklahoma, but he was a great player.

SF49erFaithful
01-11-2008, 06:55 PM
It was an honor watching you in play in SF Larry. Good luck.

kastofsna
01-11-2008, 07:21 PM
america now needs someone to perennially put in the Pro Bowl every year at guard for the NFC.

mexican_texan
01-11-2008, 07:40 PM
america now needs someone to perennially put in the Pro Bowl every year at guard for the NFC.
Leonard Davis.

austintexanite
01-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Leonard Davis.

Sad, but oh so true.

edo783
01-11-2008, 11:01 PM
About as good as they get IMO. Hope he has a great retirement.

WWJD
01-12-2008, 09:11 AM
I was just thinking about how much John Madden use to talk about Larry when he was doing the Cowboys games....he was his favorite player I think!

kastofsna
01-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Madden noticably has a thing for players who are tough and rarely miss games.