PDA

View Full Version : The "please don't draft this guy" thread...

BSofA04
01-11-2008, 02:28 AM
This isn't a hate thread, but there's probably one or two players you don't want to see the Texans draft. Let it be known here and your reason why....

Sam Baker LT USC
Although he's got superb technique and pass blocking, he's average at run blocking. My biggest concern with the guy is that he's small for his position and at times has been over powered by a bigger DT or DE. He's the next D'Brickashaw Ferguson trap and should be avoided. Undersized "athletic" tackles are too "hit or miss" for me and more often than not you'll get the latter. I have doubts that he can protect Schaub especially with the other D-lines in the AFC South. I'm not saying he's a bad tackle, but he'll get overpowered in our division.

Anyone you want us to avoid?

WesmanTexanfan
01-11-2008, 03:46 AM
ok, im garunteed to take some heat for this one along with my grammer and spelling as always...... but i dont want any part of darren mcfaden, i believe both mendenhall and ray rice are better NFL backs, and niether of them have character issues like mcfaden does, i just dont want him, i dont care if we had pick 1, 2 ,3 ,4 etc..... i dont want this man on our team..... im not closed to being proven wrong, but as of now i stand by it......

Brandon420tx
01-11-2008, 08:21 AM
Mendenhall brings the bully to the offense!

HoustonFrog
01-11-2008, 10:12 AM
I saw a guy semi-hate on Ray Rice the other day saying he isn't fast enough for his size. The guy runs a 4.46 and averaged at the worst runs a low 4.5. I'm not sure what MJD runs but I don't think at this time a guy like Rice should be overlooked.

tulexan
01-11-2008, 10:19 AM
I saw a guy semi-hate on Ray Rice the other day saying he isn't fast enough for his size. The guy runs a 4.46 and averaged at the worst runs a low 4.5. I'm not sure what MJD runs but I don't think at this time a guy like Rice should be overlooked.

Maurice Jones Drew ran a 4.39.

Ole Miss Texan
01-11-2008, 10:59 AM
I totally understand the Jones-Drew/Ray Rice comparisons but I don't think they are one in the same.

Jones-Drew is a lightening fast bowling ball that doesn't go down. Ray Rice is a quick 220lb RB that is hard to bring down playing in a 202lb body. I don't think Rice will be the BPA at #18 but he is a guy I'd like to see on the texans.

HoustonFrog
01-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Maurice Jones Drew ran a 4.39.

I figured he was faster but I still didn't think labeling Rice "slow" was a fair assessment.

I totally understand the Jones-Drew/Ray Rice comparisons but I don't think they are one in the same.

Jones-Drew is a lightening fast bowling ball that doesn't go down. Ray Rice is a quick 220lb RB that is hard to bring down playing in a 202lb body. I don't think Rice will be the BPA at #18 but he is a guy I'd like to see on the texans.

I actually didn't mean to compare their styles or whatever or to say we should take him....just every year, despite what has happened, scouts or sportscasters start labeling guys and explain how they won't be productive because of their size, speed, etc. I can't stand it. I'm all about..is a guy a player?I mean Emmitt was the #17 pick because of size and speed.

The1ApplePie
01-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Rice is smaller, slower, weaker, and less versitile than this board's whipping boy Reggie Bush, for what that's worth.

Don't see the MJD comparrison either. He was the fastest RB prospect in the 2006 Draft, and is a load to bring down.

BSofA04
01-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Barring a "Brady Quinn" scenerio, I doubt McFadden would fall into our laps at 18. Would be nice though.

Insideop
01-11-2008, 08:35 PM
This isn't a hate thread, but there's probably one or two players you don't want to see the Texans draft. Let it be known here and your reason why....

Sam Baker LT USCAlthough he's got superb technique and pass blocking, he's average at run blocking. My biggest concern with the guy is that he's small for his position and at times has been over powered by a bigger DT or DE. He's the next D'Brickashaw Ferguson trap and should be avoided. Undersized "athletic" tackles are too "hit or miss" for me and more often than not you'll get the latter. I have doubts that he can protect Schaub especially with the other D-lines in the AFC South. I'm not saying he's a bad tackle, but he'll get overpowered in our division.

Anyone you want us to avoid?

Hate to say this, but this is almost exactly the kind of LT Gibbs will be looking for. I just don't know if he will be looking for them in the 1st round. Anyway, I'm afraid the "undersized athletic tackle" is a perfect fit for a Denver style ZB scheme, and Baker, if he does well at the Combine, may be in Gibbs' crosshairs. JMHO!

austintexanite
01-11-2008, 09:40 PM
I know he doesn't come out till next year, but don't draft Tebow.

austintexanite
01-11-2008, 09:41 PM
For this year though, I'll stay away from DeSean Jackson. He didn't dominate in college and I don't really see him as a #1 receiver.

kastofsna
01-11-2008, 10:36 PM
pretty much everyone mentioned in this thread would help out the Texans a lot.

painekiller
01-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Hate to say this, but this is almost exactly the kind of LT Gibbs will be looking for. I just don't know if he will be looking for them in the 1st round. Anyway, I'm afraid the "undersized athletic tackle" is a perfect fit for a Denver style ZB scheme, and Baker, if he does well at the Combine, may be in Gibbs' crosshairs. JMHO!

I was rewatching the 1st half of the Rose Bowl last night and I swear Baker played with what appeared to be no heart. He seems disinterested in the run game, and the further USC got ahead the more he seemed to be going through the motions. He has been accused of playing soft in the past and Gibbs likes guys that play with a chip on their shoulder, well that is not the current version of Baker.

WesmanTexanfan
01-11-2008, 11:45 PM
pretty much everyone mentioned in this thread would help out the Texans a lot.

nahhhh, but mine..... yes

kastofsna
01-12-2008, 12:58 AM
btw Baker WILL be a guard in the NFL.

beerlover
01-12-2008, 03:16 AM

then we should be able to trade down & still draft him then lets see what Mr. Gibbs says about that :shades:

threetoedpete
01-12-2008, 07:51 AM

I'd be a lot happier with him in the third than I would in the first @ 18. And I love the guy....

The Demps Kid, UTEP. OK I mised on Ugoh. I admit it. But I wasn't the only one. He looked like cluster copulation last year at the senior bowl. I've watch Demps and Kenny Phillips a couple of times now. Just me but I'm not impresed with either guy. I'd just as soon take a big corner latter and coach the lad up.

threetoedpete
01-12-2008, 08:00 AM

And that is precisely, excatly what everyone said about Charles Spencer. I think thier priority even now with the new hire is taking guys who are athletic enough to cover several slots. Baker fits.

PHAROAH
01-12-2008, 11:08 AM

Sam Baker LT USC
Although he's got superb technique and pass blocking, he's average at run blocking. My biggest concern with the guy is that he's small for his position and at times has been over powered by a bigger DT or DE. He's the next D'Brickashaw Ferguson trap and should be avoided. Undersized "athletic" tackles are too "hit or miss" for me and more often than not you'll get the latter. I have doubts that he can protect Schaub especially with the other D-lines in the AFC South. I'm not saying he's a bad tackle, but he'll get overpowered in our division.

Anyone you want us to avoid? Sam Baker is no Better than Eric Winston.:thinking:

threetoedpete
01-12-2008, 12:51 PM
ok, im garunteed to take some heat for this one along with my grammer and spelling as always...... but i dont want any part of darren mcfaden, i believe both mendenhall and ray rice are better NFL backs, and niether of them have character issues like mcfaden does, i just dont want him, i dont care if we had pick 1, 2 ,3 ,4 etc..... i dont want this man on our team..... im not closed to being proven wrong, but as of now i stand by it......

Consider yourself flamed.

And Just why pray tell don't you think McFaddin is the best player on the draft board ? I mean the guy almost single handly beat the national chmpions. Played hurt for the team the last two seasons. Every game, every team went into the game, in a conference touted for their defenses, with one single lazar beam thought, Stop Darrin McFaddin. And in all but two games this year they couldn't do it. And that is on top of having an iffy QB and the team loosing their best WR option befor the seson started. So basicaly this guy got his number with eight and nine guys in the box. He is 210 and runs a 4.4. Just what is it that has driven Darren down your board ? Inquiring minds would like to know. I think the guy is beast and I think Dallas is going to bet the fram on the guy. And after two years of production, no one will think they over paid for the him.

WesmanTexanfan
01-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Consider yourself flamed.

And Just why pray tell don't you think McFaddin is the best player on the draft board ? I mean the guy almost single handly beat the national chmpions. Played hurt for the team the last two seasons. Every game, every team went into the game, in a conference touted for their defenses, with one single lazar beam thought, Stop Darrin McFaddin. And in all but two games this year they couldn't do it. And that is on top of having an iffy QB and the team loosing their best WR option befor the seson started. So basicaly this guy got his number with eight and nine guys in the box. He is 210 and runs a 4.4. Just what is it that has driven Darren down your board ? Inquiring minds would like to know. I think the guy is beast and I think Dallas is going to bet the fram on the guy. And after two years of production, no one will think they over paid for the him.

word, like i siad, im open to being proven wrong, you make a great argument for the kid and it makes me think.......... i dont like character issues, maybe thats just it, ever since pac man and mike vic i just never wanna see a player come and do that in a houston uniform, i dont know the guy im sure hes nice n all..... but i look at people before i look at skills....

steelbtexan
01-13-2008, 02:17 PM
I look @ skills & football smarts

BSofA04
01-14-2008, 01:46 AM

I agree with you, and that's why I have some concerns. Kast says that Baker will be converted into a guard at the NFL level......I'm not sure about that one but it's highly based on each individual team's needs. As for me, I wouldn't consider drafting a guard with our first pick. Not in this draft.

BSofA04
01-14-2008, 01:48 AM

Well, tell us why this is and where you researched him becoming a guard. All signs point to him being a tackle.

Second Honeymoon
01-14-2008, 09:22 AM
Ryan Clady out of Boise State. Please pass on this mid major product and look to address OL depth later in the draft.

Lucky
01-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Ryan Clady out of Boise State. Please pass on this mid major product and look to address OL depth later in the draft.
Are you opposed to all mid major prospects? Or do you have a specific concern about Clady?

BSofA04
01-22-2008, 08:20 PM
Here's a quick update....

I think it's worth noting that OT Sam Baker's weigh in results are in....
6'4", 308 lb., 32 3/8" arms, 8 1/4" hands.

For those who want us to draft this guy, consider Eric Winston's (aka T-Rex) weigh results....
6'6", 302 lbs., 32 1/4" arms, 9 1/8" hands.

The significance?? If Winston's can't play LT because of his "short arms", why would we draft a guy that's nearly identical to play LT? Winston's technique and solid play last season was one of the main reasons why our line was improved. In fact, many will say he WAS our best lineman. He's an athletic tackle that has much improved footwork....so I ask again....why would the Texans consider drafting Baker with our first pick if Winston can't cut the mustard at LT? We need a LT, not another RT.

Here's a link to this years weigh-in results...2008 Weigh-In (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/seniorbowl/reports/weighin.html)

steelbtexan
01-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Bsofa

Those stats just took Baker off the board in the 1st rd.

BSofA04
01-22-2008, 10:59 PM
Bsofa

Those stats just took Baker off the board in the 1st rd.

Hum, wasn't expecting that but can't say that it's very surprising. Small arms and hands are a big no-no to teams looking for a franchise LT. I can still see him as a borderline 1st round though. Might benefit from a team with a heavy need and get drafted well before he should. Levi Brown was a prime example of this last year.

Spled
01-22-2008, 11:03 PM
I've read Gosder Cherilus is overrated. I think we should go db in round 1.

BSofA04
01-22-2008, 11:13 PM
I've read Gosder Cherilus is overrated. I think we should go db in round 1.

Mike Jenkins CB, Kenny Phillips S, or Aquib Talib CB would be a tremendous choice...if avaliable....I support this draft idea.

Specnatz
01-23-2008, 02:40 AM
I guess I missed this thread but I am going to say Jonathan Stewart. Yes I know a lot of people love him but 5'10" 235# I am not excited about his weight, even though he runs well with it. He is not the type of back I like. He takes to much punishment versus the style of backs I like that get the yards but not the punishment. I like versatile backs. If he can not also catch coming out of college then he is not worth a first round pick, IMO.

Ole Miss Texan
02-21-2008, 10:04 PM
I really don't want us to draft Desean Jackson in the 1st Round.

bah007
02-21-2008, 10:09 PM

I second that.

BSofA04
02-22-2008, 01:05 AM

I agree. We drafted Jacoby to develop into a #2 WR. Drafting Desean would be a slap in the face to our 3rd round pick last year as well as a wasted one.

beerlover
02-22-2008, 02:16 AM
I agree. We drafted Jacoby to develop into a #2 WR. Drafting Desean would be a slap in the face to our 3rd round pick last year as well as a wasted one.

more of a slap in Schaubs face since he's the one unprotected :aggressive:

swtbound07
02-22-2008, 03:33 AM
you can pretty much ignore everything kast says. When it comes to the draft and his opinions, he's pretty much always wrong. Him saying baker will be a guard locks him in at tackle for his entire career.

The1ApplePie
02-22-2008, 08:26 AM
more of a slap in Schaubs face since he's the one unprotected :aggressive:

A bigger slap would be if we took Brohm at 18

BigBull17
02-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Ill add Rashard Mendenhal(sp). I always worry about guys who have one year and then jump up the draft charts. It doesnt help that he was compaired to Cedrick Benson by a scout.