PDA

View Full Version : Talk with Dan Reeves

Texanmike02
01-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Man,

UNBELIEVEABLE!!!

If you didn't hear the clip on Sirius radio, I got on with Dan Reeves. I got a chance to ask him about his time with the Texans and he was awesome. I was going to try to summarize it for you guys but I talked to the guy afterwards and he said he would get me a copy of it. I'll post a link as soon as he gets it.

He did say that they asked him to evaluate 8 players from the draft and Mario wasn't one of them. He was working in TV and they learned that we were going to sign Mario and he called Bob Mcnair. He had watched film from two games and he said he would have gone the Bush route but Bob said "It's about 30 minutes too late".

I'll post it when I get it.

Mike

hookinreds
01-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Looking forward to it.

Maddict5
01-10-2008, 09:12 PM
any other nuggets from him to rival his 'david carr isn't the problem' expertise he provided for us

Allstar
01-10-2008, 10:22 PM
any other nuggets from him to rival his 'david carr isn't the problem' expertise he provided for us

IIRC, Dan Reeves has been on record saying that when he was with the Texans, he decided Carr was not the answer. We just didn't listen.

BigBull17
01-11-2008, 12:09 AM
I think it all comes down to, they didnt want Young, but couldnt cut Carr and NOT draft VY, so they did it and gave it a try. Though giving him the 3 year option is regretable, but hey, it seems to have worked out.

Maddict5
01-11-2008, 07:06 AM
IIRC, Dan Reeves has been on record saying that when he was with the Texans, he decided Carr was not the answer. We just didn't listen.

i seem to remember him saying carr was not the problem.. i may be wrong

last december he said he told us to take VY (when VY was being canonised).. dont remember hearing about it at the time

OzzO
01-11-2008, 07:17 AM
TC's comments Jan 07 (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/category/texans/2007/01/17/dan-reeves-futher-explains-his-view-on-vince-young-reggie-bush/)
and the week after (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/category/texans/2007/01/14/texans-consultant-dan-reeves-wanted-to-draft-vince-young/)

Unless there's something else, maybe Reeves was playing both sides of Young and Carr. </thread hijack>

Cool about getting an interview in, looking forward to the soundbite.

thunderkyss
01-11-2008, 07:17 AM
I knew they wanted to sign Reggie. (I didn't want to admit it, but I knew).

I think three things stopped that from happening. I think Reggie & his agent balked at the last minute to signing a deal. I think there were questions about his size, and his ability to be on the field for the majority of snaps, & lastly the NCAA violations & dealings with "Gangstas" was the last straw.

As far as Mario not being on the list of 8, I can believe that. But I don't think that translates to 8 players being targeted for the first overall pick either. There were only a handful of guys who warranted that pick, IMHO. D'brick(who'll work great in NY, or almost any other team, but not here), Mario(the #1 rated defensive player in the draft), Vince(he's a winning QB from a winning program, with tons of upside), & Reggie(all based on hype IMO).

Of course, Matt Lienart could(and probably should) be thrown in to that group, but there was no way in hell, the Texans could draft a QB not named Young in '06.

Maddict5
01-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Of course, Matt Lienart could(and probably should) be thrown in to that group, but there was no way in hell, the Texans could draft a QB not named Young in '06.

cutler>>>>>>>>leinart

leinart, bush and d'brick have been very average so far.. VY has been up and down

i agree with ozzo... looks to me that reeves was playing both sides of the arguement so he looked good either way- the fact he said he wanted VY all along at the time when vince was lighting it up (but never before that :thinking: ) does little for his credibility

nunusguy
01-11-2008, 07:47 AM
I think it all comes down to, they didnt want Young, but couldnt cut Carr and NOT draft VY, so they did it and gave it a try. Though giving him the 3 year option is regretable, but hey, it seems to have worked out.
I dunno if I totally agree with you BB-17, but that's still very insightful of you because it's a definite possibility to what really happened in lieu of the more popular explanation that they really liked Carr too much to release him for
another QB, even a local living-legend.
There was a lot of reservations about VY in the NFL before his rookie year,
last year he was the NFL ROY, and this year some of the concerns are back.

thunderkyss
01-11-2008, 07:57 AM
cutler>>>>>>>>leinart

leinart, bush and d'brick have been very average so far.. VY has been up and down

hind sight is 20/20.

& like I said, Bush's status was built on hype. I didn't think he was a top ten back.

nunusguy
01-11-2008, 08:00 AM
I knew they wanted to sign Reggie. (I didn't want to admit it, but I knew).

I think three things stopped that from happening. I think Reggie & his agent balked at the last minute to signing a deal. I think there were questions about his size, and his ability to be on the field for the majority of snaps, & lastly the NCAA violations & dealings with "Gangstas" was the last straw.

I agree and I'm very confidant by now that that tells the story.
I'm also confidant that the Texans never received a serious proposal to trade the pick as its very difficulty to unload the #1 overall as the asking price is
prohibitively high. It will interesting to see if Parsells down in Miami has
any luck trading their #1 for multiple picks in this years Draft.
And I'm also not the least bit surprised by the earlier comment that Reeves
preferred Bush. But it is still surprising to me that so many NFL talent experts like Reeves missed the steep downside with Bush as an NFL running back.

Texans_Chick
01-11-2008, 08:23 AM
TC's comments Jan 07 (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/category/texans/2007/01/17/dan-reeves-futher-explains-his-view-on-vince-young-reggie-bush/)
and the week after (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/category/texans/2007/01/14/texans-consultant-dan-reeves-wanted-to-draft-vince-young/)

Unless there's something else, maybe Reeves was playing both sides of Young and Carr. </thread hijack>

Cool about getting an interview in, looking forward to the soundbite.

Reeves' position on Carr-Young made no sense whatsoever.

Reeves said Carr wasn't the problem. His option was picked up in February before the draft.

Once you say Carr is not the albatross for the team and say you want to keep him for 3 years, (and Reeves apparently didn't know how Carr had lost the lockerroom and the fanbase), well, then Young is out of the running because that would be too much salary cap money tied to the QB position.

Maddict5
01-11-2008, 08:46 AM
hind sight is 20/20.

& like I said, Bush's status was built on hype. I didn't think he was a top ten back.

i understand but im just saying its beginning to look like leinart's status was also built on hype..

tulexan
01-11-2008, 09:03 AM
This conflicts with the Sporting News article that said Casserly was high on Mario from the beginning and Kubiak warmed up to him the more and more he saw game film on him.