PDA

View Full Version : Gibbs calls it quits

TEXANS84
01-08-2008, 08:48 AM
WASHINGTON -- Joe Gibbs resigned as coach and team president of the Washington Redskins on Tuesday, three days after his team's playoff loss concluded a season marked by the killing of safety Sean Taylor.

The Redskins said in a statement that Gibbs will remain part of the Redskins family and serve as a special adviser to owner Dan Snyder. Gibbs was to discuss his decision at a 3 p.m. news conference at Redskins Park.

The Redskins will begin a search for a new coach immediately. Among the certain candidates are two former head coaches on Gibbs' staff, Gregg Williams and Al Saunders.

Gibbs went 31-36, including 1-2 in the playoffs, after emerging from NFL retirement and his NASCAR career to sign a five-year, $27.5 million contract in 2004. He had always maintained that he intended to fulfill the contract, but the 67-year-old coach wavered from that stance Monday when asked if he would return for the final year of his deal.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3186165

Texan_Bill
01-08-2008, 09:02 AM
I can't say that I am totally surprised about this.

HOU-TEX
01-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Great guy, good coach, but should not have come back into the league. I wish him luck, not that he needs it. :cool:

TEXANS84
01-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Gibbs is racking up enough money in NASCAR. I'm sure with what he had to deal with this year in Washington would make you have to step back and think about things.

Joe Texan
01-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Good Bye Coach Gibbs, I enjoyed watching your team Beat the Cowboys, Thanks.

StarStruck
01-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Good Bye Coach Gibbs, I enjoyed watching your team Beat the Cowboys, Thanks.

Five games in the last 10 years, yeah, thanks.

I guess I am a little surprised although I really shouldn't be given Gibbs age. The team had improved under his leadership and I wish him all the best.

Showtime100
01-08-2008, 09:37 AM
After that last game against Seattle when he was shaking hands with Holmgren I wondered out loud to my dad if that was it for him. It just seemed like it would be. No Super Bowl in his return but he did leave after a playoff game. Nice job, Joe. Especially this year.

Double Barrel
01-08-2008, 09:37 AM
When I saw him yelling "gosh darnit!" during one of the NFL Films clips of his recent practices, I thought he might be losing touch with today's players.

First class coach, though, and I'll always respect him and his career. :thumbup

austintexanite
01-08-2008, 11:52 AM
I gotta say I wasn't surprised. They went through a lot of emotions this year and I'm sure Gibbs couldn't run the team the same anymore.

Second Honeymoon
01-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Gibbs sucks. The Cowboys own him and nice time out call earlier this year. Dude needs to stick with horrible sports like Nascar and spend less time acting like the NFL is anything besides a money grab to him.

He could hire decent assistants. FYI - If Cowher is hired, Gregg Williams has an instant 7 figure payday because he was promised the job once Gibbs left. This could bode well for Gregg Williams being available as a DC. You hear me, Bob. Gregg Williams could be our new DC if you just show a willingness to spend money on someone other than a poolboy (David Carr).

kastofsna
01-08-2008, 12:30 PM
lol @ "Gibbs sucks." complete ignorance.

also lol @ Gregg Williams staying a DC.

Lucky
01-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Five games in the last 10 years, yeah, thanks.
The Skins were 4-4 against the Boys since his return in '04.

Second Honeymoon
01-08-2008, 12:40 PM
lol @ "Gibbs sucks." complete ignorance.

also lol @ Gregg Williams staying a DC.

lol@Dolphins Fan on another team's board rather than his own. don't you have another 1st Round pick to blow again? maybe you should go to that board and argue with the rest of Dolphins Nation on how you are going to waste this years pick. Maybe you can find another glorified punt returner to waste your pick on...or better yet, maybe you can find a way to guarantee that Cleo Lemon will start at QB for yet another season. Let the Lemon/Beck era begin. Now THAT is LOL. Congrats on another 1-15 season in 2008 or maybe you can shoot for the moon and try for the imperfect 0-16 season. I know you got it in you. you should be proud....even teh Texans havent been that bad even when they had DC at QB.

TEXANS84
01-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Simmer down.

Double Barrel
01-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Gibbs sucks.

He's only a Hall of Fame coach with three Super Bowl rings with three different QBs.

yeah, "he sucks" :ok:

TexanSam
01-08-2008, 01:14 PM
lol@Dolphins Fan on another team's board rather than his own. don't you have another 1st Round pick to blow again? maybe you should go to that board and argue with the rest of Dolphins Nation on how you are going to waste this years pick. Maybe you can find another glorified punt returner to waste your pick on...or better yet, maybe you can find a way to guarantee that Cleo Lemon will start at QB for yet another season. Let the Lemon/Beck era begin. Now THAT is LOL. Congrats on another 1-15 season in 2008 or maybe you can shoot for the moon and try for the imperfect 0-16 season. I know you got it in you. you should be proud....even teh Texans havent been that bad even when they had DC at QB.

Someone is antsy today

infantrycak
01-08-2008, 01:24 PM

Do you really want to go for Third Honeymoon?

Second Honeymoon
01-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Do you really want to go for Third Honeymoon?

if standing up against being called ignorant is wrong, i don't want to be right.

witty one liner though.

kastofsna
01-08-2008, 01:52 PM
lol@Dolphins Fan
it's too bad you start every post to me with a ridiculous ad hominem argument, or else i'd read the rest of your posts. you never post ANYTHING of substance.

infantrycak
01-08-2008, 01:56 PM
if standing up against being called ignorant is wrong, i don't want to be right.

witty one liner though.

All you have to do is make your posts less inflammatory and the responses you receive will be less inflammatory also.

Second Honeymoon
01-08-2008, 02:15 PM
it's too bad you start every post to me with a ridiculous ad hominem argument, or else i'd read the rest of your posts. you never post ANYTHING of substance.

*yawns* can we please get back to talking football. gibbs failed to bring the Skins into relevance even with Snyder's bottomless coinpurse. so what does he do? he quits. I think that sucks. he made his big money grab and failed to deliver a return on the investment. i think that sucks.

I like Gibbs but I lost respect for him when he chose Neckcar err Nascar over the NFL. Then he comes back to make a moneygrab when that didnt work out.

PapaL
01-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, no matter how off the wall.

Gibbs brought stability and a never give up attitude. In his time here in DC those crazy off the wall trades/pick ups have been limited. During the tough times following Sean Taylor's death he was the one who kept the entire organization together. Gibbs is the face of Redskins. Great coach, great person. Wish him nothing but the best.

Specnatz
01-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Gibbs sucks. The Cowboys own him and nice time out call earlier this year. Dude needs to stick with horrible sports like Nascar and spend less time acting like the NFL is anything besides a money grab to him.

He could hire decent assistants. FYI - If Cowher is hired, Gregg Williams has an instant 7 figure payday because he was promised the job once Gibbs left. This could bode well for Gregg Williams being available as a DC. You hear me, Bob. Gregg Williams could be our new DC if you just show a willingness to spend money on someone other than a poolboy (David Carr).

*yawns* can we please get back to talking football. gibbs failed to bring the Skins into relevance even with Snyder's bottomless coinpurse. so what does he do? he quits. I think that sucks. he made his big money grab and failed to deliver a return on the investment. i think that sucks.

I like Gibbs but I lost respect for him when he chose Neckcar err Nascar over the NFL. Then he comes back to make a moneygrab when that didnt work out.

The rest of us can but we are all still waiting for you to talk football and not attack someone or the person in question personally. This is why so many people jump your crap, it is that you go from calling Gibbs sucks (which if that is your opinion it is fine) to saying this was a money grab for him. Then you have to go and attack Bob McNair, there are times where you could just say I do not think he was that good of a coach and leave it at that or how about just not say anything? Did you not think turning a Coach Gibbs thread into a rant about McNair and spending money on YKW was not going to get people to say something?

Act like an adult once in a while in threads and people will not attack you and call you stupid. Then when someone disagrees with you just by saying lol@ "gibbs sucks" you have to attack them personnaly. Like I said sometimes it is better to just not say anything if all you have to say is negative things.

As far as Nascar not working out? He race team is very successful and makes him a ton of money, so there is no need for a money grab as you put it. Oh and the fact a lot of coaches make more than him would also say that it is not a money grab.

PapaL
01-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Over/Under age on Gibbs coming out of retirement? (current age is 68)
Over/Under age on number of coaches until Gibbs comes out of retirement?

Age - 78
Number of coaches - 7

Second Honeymoon
01-08-2008, 03:45 PM
The rest of us can but we are all still waiting for you to talk football and not attack someone or the person in question personally. This is why so many people jump your crap, it is that you go from calling Gibbs sucks (which if that is your opinion it is fine) to saying this was a money grab for him. Then you have to go and attack Bob McNair, there are times where you could just say I do not think he was that good of a coach and leave it at that or how about just not say anything? Did you not think turning a Coach Gibbs thread into a rant about McNair and spending money on YKW was not going to get people to say something?

Act like an adult once in a while in threads and people will not attack you and call you stupid. Then when someone disagrees with you just by saying lol@ "gibbs sucks" you have to attack them personnaly. Like I said sometimes it is better to just not say anything if all you have to say is negative things.

As far as Nascar not working out? He race team is very successful and makes him a ton of money, so there is no need for a money grab as you put it. Oh and the fact a lot of coaches make more than him would also say that it is not a money grab.

i didn't attack him personally, but continue with the victim mentality if it makes you feel better. i won't be dragged into it.

adam
01-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Not to surprising. Gibbs is getting up there in age and it was starting to look as though the game had passed him by. He is definitely hall of fame worthy and should have no shame in retirement. I actually feel that this is good for the Redskins, they need a new system.