PDA

View Full Version : Good and bad, Texans had plenty of '07 memories

Wolf
01-07-2008, 07:47 PM
if this was posted, my apologies

When Texans coach Gary Kubiak looks back on the 2007 season, he's going to see some things that make him smile, but he's also going to see some things that make him cringe.
Among the things that will make him recoil in horror: 38 turnovers, an average of 9.8 points a game allowed after turnovers, and a minus-13 turnover ratio.

The Texans averaged 99.1 yards rushing, down from 105.3 in 2006. They finished 14th in offense, including 22nd rushing and 11th in passing.

Rosenfels threw 12 interceptions and lost three fumbles. Schaub threw nine interceptions and lost three fumbles.

Because of injuries, primarily in the secondary, the Texans weren't as good on defense. They finished 24th overall, including 19th against the run and 25th against the pass.

The Texans allowed 344.2 yards, up from 337.5 in 2006. They were better against the run (114.1 yards allowed compared to 122.3) and worse against the pass (230.1 to 215.3).

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5418061.html

bigfan77801
01-07-2008, 07:51 PM
If you can look back on a year and laugh and cry its a good year.

Thorn
01-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Eh...after all this time, we are no longer losers. Good enough for me, at least for the time being. I expect to graduate from non-losers to winners next year though.

adam
01-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Eh...after all this time, we are no longer losers. Good enough for me, at least for the time being. I expect to graduate from non-losers to winners next year though.

Well said. Considering everything that took place this season, 8-8 is more than satisfying at the end of it all. Going into next season, with some much needed upgrades and a healthy squad, anything short of the playoffs will be a bust for me.

Wolf
01-07-2008, 08:15 PM
funny mcclain had no mention of a certain someone on defense (or two for that matter that were bright spots) :stirpot:

TexanSam
01-07-2008, 11:11 PM
This sounds like the title of an NFL Films...film.

Texanmike02
01-08-2008, 01:46 AM
only have a few minutes... but one real quick thing... The injuries to the secondary improved us... Kill me if you like.. but it got faggins out... and forced us to sign demps. Losing dante hurt... but Faggins is worse than dante is good if that makes any sense....

Its late and I don't get to get on much so if it doesn't don't hold it against me.

Mike

PapaL
01-08-2008, 05:34 AM
After all these years we're still not winners. I will not settle for mediocrity.

The Pencil Neck
01-08-2008, 10:58 AM
After all these years we're still not winners. I will not settle for mediocrity.

OK. So what are you going to do? If you get mediocrity, what are you going to do?

Thorn
01-08-2008, 12:10 PM
OK. So what are you going to do? If you get mediocrity, what are you going to do?

Well, for myself, I'll always be watching the Texans on football days. However, if they continue to suck, my only recourse is come in here and ***** about it. LOL

The Pencil Neck
01-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Well, for myself, I'll always be watching the Texans on football days. However, if they continue to suck, my only recourse is come in here and ***** about it. LOL

Exactly.

:texflag:

Double Barrel
01-08-2008, 12:16 PM
QBs need to learn to avoid those turnovers. Two players are responsible for 27 of the 38, and those are numbers that must improve if we want a shot at a winning record (much less playoffs).

8-8 is a testament to making strides in the face of adversity, though.

Texans_Chick
01-08-2008, 12:30 PM
QBs need to learn to avoid those turnovers. Two players are responsible for 27 of the 38, and those are numbers that must improve if we want a shot at a winning record (much less playoffs).

8-8 is a testament to making strides in the face of adversity, though.

I think the turnovers are a part of two things:

1. Depending too much on the pass. This led to some forced balls, putting them in spots where the receivers would get hammered, and allowing the defenses to key on the pass.

2. Young and inexperienced players at key positions. Last year, the Texans got in trouble relying on young players at the running back position early in the season. Then they made do with Dayne. They got Green to help with some stability at that position, but it didn't help.

If you look at the turnovers, pretty much all of them came from players without much gameday experience. You can intellectually know that you should take care of the ball and not try to do too much, but until you experience the pain of having that bite you, often you don't learn that lesson.

Ultimately, I am optimistic for the future. It's clear that Kubiak can work wonders on a passing game. I think with the way that the pass interference rulse are enforced these days, having the ability to pass the ball is one of the keys of having a successful team in the league. (look at the top of the passing charts). 8-8? While leading the league in the number of games missed by starters? A few less turnovers and a defense that didn't look ridiculous could do wonders.

Oh, and for a more national audience that doesn't know better, I wrote about the improvement in the sack allowed by the Texans. Sort of as a case study: if your offensive line is looking questionable, look at the entire offense's performance and not just the line:

Houston Texans Prove Sensible Quarterback Play Helps Reduce Sacks. Who Knew? (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/01/08/houston-texans-prove-sensible-quarterback-play-helps-reduce-sack/)

Double Barrel
01-08-2008, 01:20 PM
I think the turnovers are a part of two things:

1. Depending too much on the pass. This led to some forced balls, putting them in spots where the receivers would get hammered, and allowing the defenses to key on the pass.

While certainly true, our QBs still made the decisions to throw the ball. It goes back to my original point that our QBs need to learn to avoid those turnovers.

Obviously experience will help, but some of those picks were just dumb decisions.

2. Young and inexperienced players at key positions. Last year, the Texans got in trouble relying on young players at the running back position early in the season. Then they made do with Dayne. They got Green to help with some stability at that position, but it didn't help.

No doubt about it. We can only hope that the FO puts our o-line as the top priority (protection and running game), and a better-than-average YOUNG RB that can one cut and hit the holes, as well as pick up the blitz.

PapaL
01-08-2008, 03:04 PM

Keep taking heat for loyally following a crappy team and yelling at the tv every Sunday at 1pm EST.