PDA

View Full Version : how would you compare the Titans Defense to the Texan Defense?

Wolf
01-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Watching the game today, Titans have a good defense(worn down now by the chargers) and while I have watched them play over the season. makes me wonder how some would compare the defensive players and scheme

Besides Bullock,Vandenbosch,haynesworth and Michael Griffin .. lots of player's names don't stand out with me that are playing on that team

I am basically wondering if some feel we are about as talented defensively as they are or not. or do some feel they scheme better than us

mexican_texan
01-06-2008, 06:37 PM
A good DT can improve any defense.

Wolf
01-06-2008, 06:43 PM
A good DT can improve any defense.

true, so hopefully Okoye can take a step like Mario did :d:

watching them play without pacman (on the field one, not off the field). makes for good matchups come next season if he keeps out of trouble

wicked_wayz
01-06-2008, 07:04 PM
the titans have an awesome defense....as for the offense, wel thats a different story

steelbtexan
01-06-2008, 07:35 PM
comparatively speaking we stink

Wolf
01-06-2008, 07:38 PM
comparatively speaking we stink

talent wise or scheme wise?

granted Okoye-williams haven't reached what impact haynesworth and vandenbosch has on the field.

hard to compare Bullock to Ryans (ILB to OLB)

secondary even with pacman out ...(d-rob for us) ..seems like they play as a group(yes we had to revamp the whole secondary due to injuries) alot better than we do.

DiehardChris
01-06-2008, 07:39 PM
We're not nearly in their class... not because of the talent level, but because they have a nasty, nasty attitude on D and our defense is as soft as a roll of Charmin.

However, we're not THAT far off talent-wise, and the right free-agent or new tactics by coaches can certainly turn the tide of our defensive attitude... such as - if our secondary is better next year, we can blitz more, which will give us a much more aggressive mindset.

TEXANRED
01-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Comparing our Defense to the Titan Defense is like comparing Coke Classic to New Coke.

Not even in the same realm of conversation.

Wolf
01-06-2008, 07:43 PM
We're not nearly in their class... not because of the talent level, but because they have a nasty, nasty attitude on D and our defense is as soft as a roll of Charmin.

However, we're not THAT far off talent-wise, and the right free-agent or new tactics by coaches can certainly turn the tide of our defensive attitude... such as - if our secondary is better next year, we can blitz more, which will give us a much more aggressive mindset.

that is what I am wondering. we never have had the nastiness(but clean) as a group on defense. I just wonder if it is us just getting nice guys or if it is a reflection of what our guys are taught

Leahmic223
01-06-2008, 07:48 PM
I would never admit the Titans have a better anything than us, so all I will say is that our Offense looks better than theirs.

Our defense is just inconsistent. I think we have a lot of solid pieces and sometimes that one piece is all you need to go from below-average to very good...and i'm talking about a guy in the secondary that can make plays.

TEXANRED
01-06-2008, 07:48 PM
that is what I am wondering. we never have had the nastiness(but clean) as a group on defense. I just wonder if it is us just getting nice guys or if it is a reflection of what our guys are taught

We had nasty for one year, Gary Walker. Then his toe started to hurt.

Vic Fangio was a terrible Defensive coordinator, but Richard Smith is worse. We could have Warren Sapp in his prime and still look like soft serve ice cream.

I don't care how dumb it sounds, we need Jerry Glanville running our defense.

TheRealJoker
01-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Scheme and mentality is what makes the Titans defense so much better than our's.

ObsiWan
01-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Scheme and mentality is what makes the Titans defense so much better than our's.

That pretty much sums it up.
Especially the mentality part.
Vanden Bosch is a maniac and Haynesworth is borderline psycho. Bullock is a natural leader. But I think Ryans brings that to the table too.

While we have good athletes; bur overall, their guys seem to play nastier than our guys do. Is that the scheme, the coaches, or something semi-psycho in the players themselves? Maybe a little of each. Hard to say.

adam
01-06-2008, 08:56 PM
There's everything that ours should be. Solid with a devastating defensive line.

steelbtexan
01-06-2008, 09:13 PM

They have more talent in the d-line, lb's & secondary. They also have a better scheme & attitude.

steelbtexan
01-06-2008, 09:15 PM

You forgot they also have more talent.

Wolf
01-06-2008, 09:34 PM
nfl.com is not updated but ...

http://www.nfl.com/teams/tennesseetitans/depthchart?team=TEN

looking at Tennessee's defense on depth chart

and ours
http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthchart?team=HOU

dtran04
01-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Their D-Line is one of the best. Back end could use some help.

TEXANRED
01-06-2008, 09:48 PM
The Texans Ranked 30th. We ranked 31st last year.

toronto
01-06-2008, 10:07 PM
It was said already, but it bears repeating...the Titans as a whole are a nasty defense - ask the Chargers right now how they feel physically after two games with them. LT got just smashed all game by a dominant d-line that was betrayed by a terrible offense void of any gamebreakers at all.

Before anyone thinks the Titans are going to get worse on defense, remember they have 40M in cap space to re-sign or franchise Fat Al plus get Pacman back, if they can stand the scent of his BS.

This is one freaking tough division for the forseeable future...

toronto
01-06-2008, 10:08 PM
It was said already, but it bears repeating...the Titans as a whole are a nasty defense - ask the Chargers right now how they feel physically after two games with them. LT got just smashed all game by a dominant d-line that was betrayed by a terrible offense void of any gamebreakers at all.

Before anyone thinks the Titans are going to get worse on defense, remember they have 40M in cap space to re-sign or franchise Fat Al plus get Pacman back, if they can stand the scent of his BS.

This is one freaking tough division for the forseeable future...

leebigeztx
01-07-2008, 11:59 AM
if peoe notice, after titans made the trade with texans they draft like 4 def lineman in one draft. The difference is guys like haynesworth, odom, and via trade kvb has played up to their potential. The texans are at that state where they need williams to continue to progress, okoye to take the next step as well as johnson. I don't think weaver is anything good period. Demeco is really good the other lbs are avg at best. hope is better than any safety we got while griffin is getting better. I think it all about the d-line with the texans d. If they can dominate the line of scrimmage. everything else falls in place

HoustonFrog
01-07-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but I attribute alot of their defensive prowess to Fisher. The guy is a top coach in the league and has an aggressive attitude. They have guys on D that reflect that. They also, obviously, have more talent.

ATRAIN
01-07-2008, 12:29 PM
For long term reasons I would take ours. Depending on free agency/draft. We might have one of the better defenses next year.

TEXANRED
01-07-2008, 02:01 PM
For long term reasons I would take ours. Depending on free agency/draft. We might have one of the better defenses next year.

I am all for thinking positively but we have a few things working against us.

we finished 30th in defense, up only one spot from last year
we lack a big DLineman who occupies space and produces pressure
We need a decent DE to compliment Williams
Our OLB's are below average
We need a replacement for DRob
We need safeties is a big way
Richard Smith is still the defensive coordinator.

Thats a big hill to climb.

sakebomb
01-07-2008, 06:47 PM
I am all for thinking positively but we have a few things working against us.

we finished 30th in defense, up only one spot from last year
we lack a big DLineman who occupies space and produces pressure
We need a decent DE to compliment Williams
Our OLB's are below average
We need a replacement for DRob
We need safeties is a big way
Richard Smith is still the defensive coordinator.

Thats a big hill to climb.

What he said....

Bulluck53
01-08-2008, 03:40 AM
Our defense would have been tops in the league if Schwartz didn't continually go into hibernation (see our first matchup... I'm sorry but Schwartz blew that one, don't mean to take credit away). Only problem is it hinges around one guy, Fat Al. When he went down you saw what our scheme was like without a dominant guy in the middle. Yall will have that guy with Okoye.

I would trade Bulluck and a 4th for Ryans right now....easy. The guy was bad all season.

We drafted extremely well in the late rounds. Picking guys like Vincent Fuller, Calvin Lowry and Cortland Finnegan is what put us over the top, even without Pac. Made a few splashes in FA with Hope and David Thornton and then Odom and LaBoy decided to step up this season to round it all out.

You guys will up to par with the rest of the division very soon.

Maddict5
01-08-2008, 10:48 AM
I would trade Bulluck and a 4th for Ryans right now....easy. The guy was bad all season.

not MR. MONDAY NIGHT!! :pirate:

if this was madden that trade would get three red bars

Bulluck53
01-08-2008, 12:38 PM
To steal someone else's thunder...

He may be Mr. Monday Night, but most of our games are on Sunday.

Maddict5
01-08-2008, 01:34 PM
To steal someone else's thunder...

He may be Mr. Monday Night, but most of our games are on Sunday.

very nice