PDA

View Full Version : why aren't we interviewing?

Silver Oak
01-06-2008, 05:35 PM
We have a vacancy in the OC position, and there are plenty of good candidates out there...why aren't we interviewing?

Cameron, Garrett, Caldwell, et al.

Should we take this as a sign the Texans are going to promote Shanahan? Even if that's true, it certainly wouldn't hurt to hear others opinions and possible changes they would make.

mexican_texan
01-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Probably want to wait until the playoffs are done with.

Wolf
01-06-2008, 05:43 PM
I read somewhere that shanahan was interviewed or going to be interviewed along with the UCLA coach(darnell?)

Silver Oak
01-06-2008, 05:47 PM
probably just a knee jerk reaction by me after reading what other teams are doing, but I don't want to see us settle for something other than the best fit for the team.

Maddict5
01-06-2008, 05:53 PM
I read somewhere that shanahan was interviewed or going to be interviewed along with the UCLA coach(darnell?)

QFT except the ucla guys name but i cant think of it either:)

im fine with either because it will be kubiak's denver offence we'll hopefully see.. not the hybrid thingy we've had

Htownsportsfan
01-06-2008, 06:16 PM
It could be with Sherman gone Kubiak wants the Offensive play calling duties. If thats than you can forgaet a high profile OC, they usually end up on a team with a "D"oriented HC.

TexansFight
01-06-2008, 06:19 PM
We should be interviewing DC as well. Rex Ryan would be great here.

mexican_texan
01-06-2008, 06:39 PM
I doubt it happens, but maybe he could make Weaver useful again. Weaver and Demps are former Ravens under Ryans.

ObsiWan
01-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Two Questions:

1) Any rumors about who might be on our "short list" for offensive coordinator?

2) Any reason to believe that Kubiak will look to replace Richard Smith (I mean other than a lot of us fans think we could do a lot better)?

ArlingtonTexan
01-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Two Questions:

1) Any rumors about who might be on our "short list" for offensive coordinator?

2) Any reason to believe that Kubiak will look to replace Richard Smith (I mean other than a lot of us fans think we could do a lot better)?

1)Kubiak has said that he is going to talk with everyone on his staff. Earlier it was also reported that Karl Durrell who coached with Kubiak in Denver for a handful of years is a candidate.

2) None realistically. Maybe 5% on the outside.

Tulip
01-08-2008, 04:52 PM
OK - so the Niners hired Martz. What are we doing exactly? Waiting until everyone gets snatched up.

I think this happened last year, though, and we all assumed rightly that Sherman would be promoted. Which indicates that Shanahanigans Jr is going to be the next OC.

Errant Hothy
01-08-2008, 04:55 PM
OK - so the Niners hired Martz. What are we doing exactly? Waiting until everyone gets snatched up.

I think this happened last year, though, and we all assumed rightly that Sherman would be promoted. Which indicates that Shanahanigans Jr is going to be the next OC.

And let the kneejerking commence yet again.

Martz and Kubiak have two widly different offensive mind sets and the two of them would never fit on the same sideline, and if they ever did the result would not be pretty.

Bubbajwp
01-08-2008, 04:57 PM

We are not going to hire a big name OC and pay him big bucks to run Kubiaks offense anyways.

WesmanTexanfan
01-08-2008, 04:58 PM
kyle shanahan did a damn good job

Tulip
01-08-2008, 05:02 PM
And let the kneejerking commence yet again.

Martz and Kubiak have two widly different offensive mind sets and the two of them would never fit on the same sideline, and if they ever did the result would not be pretty.

Sorry - that wasn't my point at all. I don't care about Mike Martz. I just meant that the Niners have already gone through the interview/hiring process, while Texans haven't seemed to have even started.

I don't think I'd want another former head coach. I thought Sherman and Kubiak didn't complement each other very well at all.

dtran04
01-08-2008, 05:02 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5438034.html

Read that and be very happy.

Alex Gibbs for the lazy.

GlassHalfFull
01-08-2008, 05:03 PM
The Chronicle has this story up

link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5438034.html)

Texans coach Gary Kubiak is trying to hire Alex Gibbs as assistant head coach to replace Mike Sherman.

Gibbs, who would not be the offensive coordinator, was an assistant under head coaches Dan Reeves and Mike Shanahan when Kubiak was a player and assistant coach with the Denver Broncos.

Errant Hothy
01-08-2008, 05:07 PM

Alex Gibbs for the lazy.

Oh, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, let this happen.

Tulip
01-08-2008, 05:08 PM

Alex Gibbs for the lazy.

We'd have a running game? Count me in. I guess we'll see if he could be lured out of retirement a second time. Let's hope he's way bored at home.

I think that sets it up well to have Shanahan as OC.

Errant Hothy
01-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Sorry - that wasn't my point at all. I don't care about Mike Martz. I just meant that the Niners have already gone through the interview/hiring process, while Texans haven't seemed to have even started.

I don't think I'd want another former head coach. I thought Sherman and Kubiak didn't complement each other very well at all.

Besides the aforementioned Alex Gibbs, and the guy from UCLA, maybe Kubes wants to interview some of the guys from teams that played last weekend; and if that is the case he cannot conduct those interviews till that coaches team loses. Kubiak probably feels the need to hire somebody who he has worked with or who was coached at Denver, since that is the offense he wants to run.

Texan_Bill
01-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Oh, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, let this happen.

I'm taking a wild stab here, but I'm thinking you would like Alex Gibbs on the Texans staff???

HoustonFrog
01-08-2008, 05:13 PM
We have a vacancy in the OC position, and there are plenty of good candidates out there...why aren't we interviewing?

Cameron, Garrett, Caldwell, et al.

Should we take this as a sign the Texans are going to promote Shanahan? Even if that's true, it certainly wouldn't hurt to hear others opinions and possible changes they would make.

I doubt a person like Garrett would leave the Cowboys for here when it is the same position. But I did see, as others have said, the UCLA coach and Shanahan mentioned before.

Second Honeymoon
01-08-2008, 05:14 PM
This Alex Gibbs stuff sounds really promising. Finally, they are going out there and pursuing some candidates. Maybe a search for a decent DC is next? I'll take Ryan from the Raiders over Smith anyday. Ryan may look like someone who works at the Renaissance Festival, but he plays an agressive style of defense that would be much better than the passive Smith.

With this hiring one would assume that Kubiak will be calling the plays or maybe Shanahan? I would prefer someone with more experience at OC but I didn't think Shanahan was a good hire as WR coach and he shot that theory down really quick, so what do I know? He could be a potential great ala J. Garrett.

irishtexanfan
01-08-2008, 05:44 PM
I guess if we hire Alex Gibbs that means we'll be fully adopting the zone blocking scheme instead of the hybrid scheme we ran under Sherm

01-08-2008, 05:49 PM
i'm just glad kubiak/rick smith have made us a real NFL franchise. we're no longer a joke.

Imatexanfan
01-08-2008, 06:00 PM

ron riveria for dc:fans:

tulexan
01-08-2008, 06:21 PM
Sign Alex Gibbs and Karl Dorrell and have the offense locked up

nunusguy
01-08-2008, 07:28 PM
I guess if we hire Alex Gibbs that means we'll be fully adopting the zone blocking scheme instead of the hybrid scheme we ran under Sherm
Yup, Gibbs is the Godfather of the ZB schemes as I understand it.

Brandon420tx
01-08-2008, 07:53 PM
Too bad Gibbs is going to be special adviser to the Redskins.

dtran04
01-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Too bad Gibbs is going to be special adviser to the Redskins.

Completely different Gibbs there.

Brandon420tx
01-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Completely different Gibbs there.

DUDE, you totally right, my bad.

Silver Oak
01-08-2008, 09:21 PM
DUDE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmFBOVZ6BLM

AnthonyE
01-08-2008, 10:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmFBOVZ6BLM