PDA

View Full Version : Diamonds in the rough

Grid
01-05-2008, 01:34 AM
One of my favorite things to do in the offseason is look around the league, and the draft, for those FAs and rookies that dont have the hype of the first rounders/starters, but could possibly be just as talented.

Looking for obscure draft superstars is a pretty common practice in NFL communities, but not many people look at existing NFL players in their search for latent talent.

Kevin Walter is a great example of this. He was a 4th string WR for the Bengals... not because he lacked talent, but because the Bengals just happened to be stacked at WR.

So, on that note, what id like to know is; Who do you think we could get (not even necessarily an FA) that is young, and possibly very talented.

The key to this exercise is to look at the better teams in the league and search for positions where they have alot of talent, and then see who their backups are and find out if these guys have shown alot of potential in preseason/practice/college.

Normally at this point id list a few that I have found, but I havent had time to go over the rosters yet :D. SO! Let me know if ya find any! hehe.

LORK 88
01-05-2008, 02:27 AM
Personally I like what I've seen from Mewelde Moore, a FA who's spent his time in Minnesota buried on the depth chart. He's actually started some games in his career despite the decrease in playing time and has had a few 100 yard games. On top of that, he's a great receiver out of the backfield. He could stand to be a bit bigger, but I've liked what I've seen out of him.

I'm sure I'm forgetting another player out there, but he's who came to mind right off the bat.

Malloy
01-05-2008, 07:22 AM
Jabar Gaffney :(

twelvegage
01-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Chad Jackson - Patriots

Maddict5
01-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Mike turner is an obvious choice

mike bell might be another (good imo) pickup we make if hes released

tulexan
01-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Personally I like what I've seen from Mewelde Moore, a FA who's spent his time in Minnesota buried on the depth chart. He's actually started some games in his career despite the decrease in playing time and has had a few 100 yard games. On top of that, he's a great receiver out of the backfield. He could stand to be a bit bigger, but I've liked what I've seen out of him.

I'm sure I'm forgetting another player out there, but he's who came to mind right off the bat.

That's who I was going to say. Mewelde is very talented and has great hands out of the backfield. Go back and look at his stats when he actually carries the load. They are very impressive. I remember he absolutely killed us when he was a rookie with 92 yards rushing and 90 yards receiving. That was his first game as a starter too.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoorMe00_games.htm

The Pencil Neck
01-05-2008, 01:08 PM
You know, I had forgotten about Mewelde Moore. He's a damn fine back.

steelbtexan
01-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Paul Spicer & Kris Wilson

adam
01-05-2008, 01:48 PM
I think we found a few this season. Brisiel turned out to be the best RG we've had all season and Walker managed to add some dynamics to our running game. Also, Fred Bennett stepped in his rookie season and made a difference. I think this kid could be elite one day. I really have no clue about next season, to be honest. I trust Rick Smith to do the right thing.

Grid
01-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Fred Bennett stepped in his rookie season and made a difference. I think this kid could be elite one day.

I dunno if Bennett qualifies as an unknown. At least.. with the success that South Carolina DBs have had in the NFL (Including Dunta) I have checked to see what DBs USC has coming out every offseason.

beerlover
01-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Brandon Marshall. 4th rd. 06 pick. Central Florida is an absoulte beast, bigger & stronger than Terrell Owens, very difficult to tackle in the open field or in a crowd. first rd. talent if I've ever seen it, which begs the question how did he last til the middle of the 4th rd?

Now I've made it a point to watch the smaller schools especially Florida schools talent closely. Here are some diamonds for future reference Kevin Smith is returning to school to develop his game & take it to the next level, he could be that diamond in the rough (09). Joe Burnett is a playmaking cb with return abilities & could be available in the 3rd, rd. if he declares, this would solve the Texans need @ CB. Senior Leger Douzable is a 6050 305 lb interior DT that could compete for Maddox/Johnsons spot & you could pick him up in the 5th/6th rd.

Ckw
01-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Chad Jackson - Patriots

He was a first round pick.

b0ng
01-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Kevin Smith .

When Kevin Smith declares next year, he will probably be slated to go in the 1st barring catostrophic injury. That guy is a stud.

ArlingtonTexan
01-05-2008, 08:31 PM
I am not sure of the specific names to plug in here, but it is a very good question. A team is not going to go out and sign more than one or two big name guys a season normally. Your success is predicated on finding cheaper guys who are better palyers than names. Oh, and not to overpay them.

fikster
01-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Chad Jackson - Patriots

this dude is a burner. i remember watching him in college and the combines. I would love to have him here but i think he has one more year on his contract. He would be a great fit.

TexanSam
01-06-2008, 02:56 AM
Ryan Grant. Guy came out of nowhere and almost ran for 1000 yards

infantrycak
01-06-2008, 08:50 AM
Ryan Grant. Guy came out of nowhere and almost ran for 1000 yards

He is an exclusive rights free agent--he is not hitting the market.

Hottoddie
01-06-2008, 11:14 AM
He might not be considered a Diamond in the Rough by most standards, but given his history with Kubiak & Smith, & the animosity that has developed in Detroit, Tatum Bell could be considered a Diamond in the Rough for the Texans. I fully expect to see him on our roster next year.

Dallas_Texan
01-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Paul Spicer - Jax
Chris Canty - Dal
Justin Fargas - Oak
Mewelde Moore - Min
Andre Davis (until we sign him, he counts! - To be honest, I'm concerned we didn't do this before the season was over)
Quinn Gray - Jax
Travelle Wharton - Car
Boss Bailey - Det
Drayton Florence - San Diego
Eugene Wilson - NE

painekiller
01-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Paul Spicer - Jax
Chris Canty - Dal
Justin Fargas - Oak
Mewelde Moore - Min
Andre Davis (until we sign him, he counts! - To be honest, I'm concerned we didn't do this before the season was over)
Quinn Gray - Jax
Travelle Wharton - Car
Boss Bailey - Det
Eugene Wilson - NE

Jovan Haye DT Tampa Bay RFA - 6th round

76Texan
01-07-2008, 03:18 PM
How about the AFL?

Anybody remembers Greg White, our 7th-round draft choice in 2002?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=3164572

badboy
01-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Paul Spicer - Jax
Chris Canty - Dal
Justin Fargas - Oak
Mewelde Moore - Min
Quinn Gray - Jax
Travelle Wharton - Car
Boss Bailey - Det
Eugene Wilson - NE
If I were Andre Davis's agent, I'd be in no hurry to sign with the Texans. He has time to get some offers in and get a very good contract for AD.

Mr. White
01-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Greg Jones in JAX is an interesting possibility. He injured his knee a couple of years ago and was out for the season.

They used him at FB this year with the emergence of MJD last year.

He's looked pretty good when he's gotten the ball this year. He's also a FA when his season ends.

I can't help but think that he'd like to go somewhere that he'd get the ball more.

tulexan
01-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Greg Jones in JAX is an interesting possibility. He injured his knee a couple of years ago and was out for the season.

They used him at FB this year with the emergence of MJD last year.

He's looked pretty good when he's gotten the ball this year. He's also a FA when his season ends.

I can't help but think that he'd like to go somewhere that he'd get the ball more.

I'd rather have Mewelde Moore

bigbrewster2000
01-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Brandon Marshall. 4th rd. 06 pick. Central Florida is an absoulte beast, bigger & stronger than Terrell Owens, very difficult to tackle in the open field or in a crowd. first rd. talent if I've ever seen it, which begs the question how did he last til the middle of the 4th rd?

Now I've made it a point to watch the smaller schools especially Florida schools talent closely. Here are some diamonds for future reference Kevin Smith is returning to school to develop his game & take it to the next level, he could be that diamond in the rough (09). Joe Burnett is a playmaking cb with return abilities & could be available in the 3rd, rd. if he declares, this would solve the Texans need @ CB. Senior Leger Douzable is a 6050 305 lb interior DT that could compete for Maddox/Johnsons spot & you could pick him up in the 5th/6th rd.

Kevin Smith Ddeclared today. Prolly going in the 2nd. just some FYI.