PDA

View Full Version : Youtube Video:THe biggest Draft Busts in texans history

Wolf
01-04-2008, 03:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnRb1X_bGMw

not sure who made it

eriadoc
01-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Par for the course, he lists Gaffney as being taken over Clinton Portis, which is inaccurate. Pitts was taken over Portis.

Never let the facts stand in the way of a good tale, I suppose.

TexanSam
01-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Bennie Joppru
Tony Hollings
Travis Johnson
Dave Ragone
Jason Babin
Chance Pearce (never heard of this guy...he was a 7th rounder...)
Jabar Gaffney
Tony Boselli

oh yeah...and that one guy was on that list to. I won't even mention his name

HOU-TEX
01-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Bennie Joppru
Tony Hollings
Travis Johnson
Dave Ragone
Jason Babin
Chance Pearce (never heard of this guy...he was a 7th rounder...)
Jabar Gaffney
Tony Boselli

oh yeah...and that one guy was on that list to. I won't even mention his name

We didn't draft Boselli. He came from the deal with the Jags.:specnatz:

Fiddy
01-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Gaff was the 1st pick of the 2nd round. So, yes, Gaff was taken over Portis as well.

And it's not like Gaff is a bust. He is doing pretty decent in New England. All he needed was a QB.

Honoring Earl 34
01-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Par for the course, he lists Gaffney as being taken over Clinton Portis, which is inaccurate. Pitts was taken over Portis.

They were both taken over Portis .

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=2120&type=team

Texan_Bill
01-04-2008, 03:24 PM

YUP Second round picks (overall):
1(33) Houston Jabar Gaffney WR Florida
2(34) Carolina DeShaun Foster RB UCLA
3(35) Detroit Kalimba Edwards DE South Carolina
4(36) Buffalo Josh Reed WR Louisiana State
5(37) Dallas Andre Gurode C Colorado
6(38) Minnesota Raonall Smith OLB Washington State
7(39) San Diego Toniu Fonoti OG Nebraska
8(40) Jacksonville Mike Pearson OT Florida
9(41) Cincinnati Lamont Thompson S Washington State
10(42) Indianapolis Larry Tripplett DT Washington
11(43) Kansas City Eddie Freeman DT Alabama-Birmingham
12(44) New Orleans LeCharles Bentley C Ohio State
13(45) Tennessee Clevan "Tank" Williams S Stanford
14(46) NY Giants Tim Carter WR Auburn
15(47) Cleveland Andre Davis WR Virginia Tech
16(48) San Diego (from Atlanta) Reche Caldwell WR Florida
17(49) Arizona Levar Fisher LB North Carolina State
18(50) Houston (Supplemental) Chester Pitts OT San Diego State
19(51) Denver Clinton Portis RB Miami (Fla)

LORK 88
We didn't draft Boselli. He came from the deal with the Jags.:specnatz:
Technically we did draft him, in the 2002 expansion draft.

dtran04
That guy needs to proofread. At least spell their names right if you're gonna bash them.

eriadoc
01-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Yes, Gaff was taken #33. Portis was taken #51. Pitts was taken #50. We always hear about how Gaff was taken ahead of Portis, but we so seldom hear about how Pitts was taken ahead of Portis. It's disingenuous to categorize Gaffney's draft status with the Portis pick.

Texan_Bill
01-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Technically we did draft him, in the 2002 expansion draft.

Pretty sure HOU-TEX was making a joke about the theory that there was a wink-wink deal in place to not protect Boselli, Walker and Payne - so they (JAX)could dump cap money and the Texans could then get a couple of defensive guys they wanted.

Yankee_In_TX
01-04-2008, 03:27 PM
That guy needs to proofread. At least spell their names right if you're gonna bash them.

+ grammar

HoustonFrog
01-04-2008, 03:28 PM

Exactly!!Splitting hairs above.

He also didn't mention our 3rd rounder at NT from 2002, Charles Hill. Yeah, that Charles Hill whom you have never heard of and who got cut.

Yes, Gaff was taken #33. Portis was taken #51. Pitts was taken #50. We always hear about how Gaff was taken ahead of Portis, but we so seldom hear about how Pitts was taken ahead of Portis. It's disingenuous to categorize Gaffney's draft status with the Portis pick.

What about saying LaCharles Bentley and Andre Gurode were taken before Pitts?:)

Ole Miss Texan
01-04-2008, 03:28 PM
I don't think Gaffney was necessarily a bust but I think he was probably selected a little too high (1st pick in the 2nd round).

disaacks3
01-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Yes, Gaff was taken #33. Portis was taken #51. Pitts was taken #50. We always hear about how Gaff was taken ahead of Portis, but we so seldom hear about how Pitts was taken ahead of Portis. It's disingenuous to categorize Gaffney's draft status with the Portis pick. The only time stuff like this makes sense is in the "Sam Bowie" mode of evaluation. Blaming ANY team for "passing" on a guy that the whole league did (pretty much TWICE) is ranging on the absurd.

We got a steal on DeMeco...why isn't everyone bashing the other 31 teams for not taking him? Oh, that's right, we're the Texans and never make any "good" decisions.

TexanSam
01-04-2008, 03:32 PM
I don't think Gaffney was necessarily a bust but I think he was probably selected a little too high (1st pick in the 2nd round).

I just remember reading an article in the Chronicle trying to compare David Carr, Jonathan Wells, and Jabar Gaffney to Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, and Michael Irvin. Sheesh. What a load of BS

Mailman
01-04-2008, 03:34 PM

Not only could the Texans have drafted Portis, they could've also landed either Gurode or Bentley instead of Gaffney. Of course, Casserly was counting on Boselli and Young to be the nucleus of the O-line, so there wasn't a pressing need to draft a lineman at the top of the second round.

Wolf
01-04-2008, 03:34 PM
I just remember reading an article in the Chronicle trying to compare David Carr, Jonathan Wells, and Jabar Gaffney to Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, and Michael Irvin. Sheesh. What a load of BS

like this?

http://www.freewebby.com/sign-smilies/bsmeter.gif

eriadoc
01-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Exactly!!Splitting hairs above.

He also didn't mention our 3rd rounder at NT from 2002, Charles Hill. Yeah, that Charles Hill whom you have never heard of and who got cut.

What about saying LaCharles Bentley and Andre Gurode were taken before Pitts?:)

LOL, exactly! We never hear about how Gaffney was taken ahead of Bentley or Gurode. It's just utter BS hyperbole, and it's completely disingenuous. Gaffney was taken too high; I think everyone agrees on that.

Honoring Earl 34
01-04-2008, 03:37 PM
The only time stuff like this makes sense is in the "Sam Bowie" mode of evaluation. Blaming ANY team for "passing" on a guy that the whole league did (pretty much TWICE) is ranging on the absurd.

We got a steal on DeMeco...why isn't everyone bashing the other 31 teams for not taking him? Oh, that's right, we're the Texans and never make any "good" decisions.

Cause the Texans could field a pretty good team with guys they could have picked from 2002 -2005 .

Mailman
01-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Speaking of the expansion draft, the Pats left Willie McGinnest exposed. Hmmph.

Texan_Bill
01-04-2008, 03:43 PM

There's a lot similarities there:
Both Quarterbacks were white guys whose sexual preference was brought into question.

Both receivers are black guys originally from Florida

Honoring Earl 34
01-04-2008, 03:46 PM
There's a lot similarities there:
Both Quarterbacks were white guys whose sexual preference was brought into question.

Both receivers are black guys originally from Florida

I think that Troy drew the line when it comes to white gloves .

hookinreds
01-04-2008, 04:02 PM
I think that Troy drew the line when it comes to white gloves .

Funny that you mention this. I can't remember what game he was broadcasting last (I've watched just about everyone this past 10 day) but the QB was wearing gloves and he actually admitted that he would have worn gloves in bad weather had they made them like they do now...back then. It might have been the Pats/NYG game since it was raining in that one.

Ryan
01-04-2008, 04:07 PM
what about that mario williams guy? He had a terrible rookie season! :fans:

disaacks3
01-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Cause the Texans could field a pretty good team with guys they could have picked from 2002 -2005 .
...and which of the other 31 teams couldn't?

76Texan
01-04-2008, 04:22 PM

Hey, he did beat out a few draft picks by the Patriots: Chad Johnson (36) & Bethel Johnson (45)

Second Honeymoon
01-04-2008, 04:43 PM

If memory serves me, Gaffney was the 1st 2nd Round Pick and Pitts was our 2nd 2nd round pick. I liked Gaffney in college and he has turned into a decent pro, but I will never understand why we drafted him so early. Just another Casserley move. Look at the first 2 years of our draft when we had extra picks. Just pathetic picks throughout both drafts.

FWIW - Casserley is still unemployed by an NFL team.....that tells you all you need to know. I am sure he wish he could do it all over again, but he blew it and God willing, RS will continue to right the ship and get some talent on our roster.

anywho, gaffney was a bust for the texans but he is still in the league and is on a team that is 16-0 (need we not remind that he caught the game winning TD on MNF v. the Ravens and it was a clutch catch) so he has shaken the bust label with hard work and professionalism......and being on one of the greatest teams in the history of the NFL doesn't hurt. Good for Gaffney.

I am really pumped about next year. I could handle a change at DC to say the least, but this is like the first season where our team has had what feels like a sense of stability and direction this offseason. Last offseason was a good one but it was such a whirlwind and was such a sea change. With a few additions to some key positions, we should be very competitive in our division and if Schaub or Sage were to step up consistently like they stepped up last year inconsistently, well then we may be a playoff team finally.

This year we were one win away. 7-3 outside of our division. Lets all hope for the best and GO TEXANS

sakebomb
01-04-2008, 08:36 PM
This thread just reconfirms my hatred for C cubed.

Honoring Earl 34
01-04-2008, 09:10 PM
...and which of the other 31 teams couldn't?

That would be a good point except the Texans had 39 picks from 2002-2005 . They should have had 42 but they traded for Babin and Pbuck .

That's 6 years worth of draft picks in 4 years and our return would be a generous D .

I think if you hit on 40% of your picks , you're doing good . 40% of 39 is 16 ... the Texans did'nt get 16 players with those picks .