PDA

View Full Version : 15 years ago today...

Double Barrel
01-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Bud Adams turned 70 and 35-3

It was just mentioned to me, so I figured I'd share the pain. :brickwall:

Honoring Earl 34
01-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Oh yeah ... remeber the Titans .

disaacks3
01-03-2008, 06:51 PM

grrrreat...now I get to re-live the pain AND be reminded how old I've gotten.

THANKS DB......you rotten !@@!$$%#@

Showtime100
01-03-2008, 07:07 PM
I remember that game like it was yesterday. Hypnosis apparently doesn't always work.

You ever come across somebody that hears you are an Oiler/Texan fan and asks you IF YOU REMEMBER THE GAME??? I get that about once a month and still haven't come up with a tactful way of answering the question.

toronto
01-03-2008, 07:28 PM
I remember that game like it was yesterday. Hypnosis apparently doesn't always work.

You ever come across somebody that hears you are an Oiler/Texan fan and asks you IF YOU REMEMBER THE GAME??? I get that about once a month and still haven't come up with a tactful way of answering the question.

I was in the fkn stadium that miserable day. It still hurts to this day, and the Titans could win 4 rings will it will still not be able to wash that stench off me. :(

axman40
01-03-2008, 07:32 PM

Kick them in the groin , they will quit asking!
:cowboy1:

GuerillaBlack
01-03-2008, 07:39 PM
The game comes on in its entirety on NFL Network tomorrow. I was too young to remember, but I have seen it before on NFL Films, and it made be sick. Especially the Bills player that stepped out of bounds and came back in to catch that TD pass.

Double Barrel
01-03-2008, 07:52 PM
The game comes on in its entirety on NFL Network tomorrow. I was too young to remember, but I have seen it before on NFL Films, and it made be sick. Especially the Bills player that stepped out of bounds and came back in to catch that TD pass.

I've been cursed with seeing that replayed game - both the long and short versions - for years now. For whatever reason(s), the self-inflicted wound of watching that particular game never fails.

Texans_Chick
01-03-2008, 09:00 PM

He will never die. I think he eats human hearts.

I couldn't get off the couch after that game. I couldn't even change the channel. I think there was some Elvis movie on afterwards, or maybe someone else changed the channel.

I don't trust the outcome of sporting events until I see 00:00 on the final scoreboard.

Silver Oak
01-03-2008, 09:06 PM
I remember going on to the front porch and caulking the windows. My wife kept saying "they're coming back on them", and I smugly said, "nah, just making it good for the viewers".

Thank God that's Tennessee's nightmare and history now.

TEXANRED
01-03-2008, 09:06 PM

Why?

Dread-Head
01-03-2008, 09:33 PM
I have a fantasy for how he dies. The Titans win the Superbowl and he's so happy that he has a massive heart attack on his way to pick up the Lombardi trophy. He dies looking at it just a few short feet away. It's so close he can read the inscription on it, but can't quite touch it and he gives his death-rattle before the commisioner can put it into his dying hands.

TEXANRED
01-03-2008, 09:36 PM
I have a fantasy for how he dies. The Titans win the Superbowl and he's so happy that he has a massive heart attack on his way to pick up the Lombardi trophy. He dies looking at it just a few short feet away. It's so close he can read the inscription on it, but can't quite touch it and he gives his death-rattle before the commisioner can put it into his dying hands.

I hope he lives long enough to see the Texans win a superbowl.

toronto
01-03-2008, 09:46 PM
I've been cursed with seeing that replayed game - both the long and short versions - for years now. For whatever reason(s), the self-inflicted wound of watching that particular game never fails.

It's like Bill Simmons would always comment - anytime there was a Sox game on before '04's Series win the TV or newspapers always had the curse to flash to the viewers 1,000,000 times.

It's the same for Oiler/Titan/Texan fans that still have the stench of that frigging game. No matter what, any time a team is getting blown out, that 35-3 game has a 50-50 shot of being mentioned. And anytime I'm around a few of my certain buddies, they always wait for my reaction. It's like watching the unabomber get his start, they figure.

Silver Oak
01-03-2008, 10:08 PM

I like the way you think, but the only flaw is he has no heart in his chest to have the attack.

HOU-TEX
01-04-2008, 10:39 AM

How about this: One of his players is holding the trophy high in the air and is suddenly bumped into by VY, who pulled his quad walking up to the podium, knocks the trophy out of the players hands. Bud, looking straight up at the trophy catches one of the 3 sharp corners at the base of the trophy in the throat. That particular corner happened to have a jagged piece of metal hanging off which slices Buds throat like a knife through hot butter. A frightened VY then looks for something to put pressure on the gushing wound only to find a furry little ball lying next to Bud.

Well, that furry little ball turned out to be Buds hair piece. The rug happened to be infected with the ebola virus. Bud's body bled out and he soon passed on the spot.

:specnatz:

Bud Adams
01-04-2008, 10:48 AM
You hurt my feelings when you talk like that.

I miss John McMullen. Back when he was around I could always pretend that I was the second most hated owner in Houston.

I'll give you all free admittance to my Tennessee Titans Hall of Fame museum (one time only of course) if you quit saying mean things about me. Now that's a good deal if I ever saw one. We got famous Nashville Oilers in there to look at.

Seriously though I remember that game like it was yesterday too. I had assembled the greatest collection of football talent the world has ever seen. At the half I was dancing around practicing my Lombardi trophy wave and everything. I had this plan back then that I'd wave it around over my head when I won it. Now I couldn't lift it to save my life. Somebody jokingly told me to quit that or I'd jinx the team and I fired them.

Next thing I remember was the smelling salts bringing me back to consciousness. When the Bills went ahead I fainted. The doctors tell me my heart stopped beating but all I remember is the smell of sulpher and being very, very hot. I think I was in Arkansas at the hot springs!

michaelm
01-04-2008, 11:58 AM
I had a buddy named Ron, who was a very jaded Oilers fan. We were watching the game at his house and he said to me, after the Oilers scored to go up 35-3, that the Oilers would find a way to lose the freakin game. He was serious too, and it pissed me off how negative he could be...

I remember after the game, walking out into his back yard, taking my Oilers cap off my head, throwing it on his BBQ pit, soaking it in charcoal lighter fluid, and burning that sucker...

A guy I know was whiskey drunk in his own apartment with a bunch of friends, and went nuts after the game. He basically destroyed every scrap of furniture, picture on the wall, and all the glassware and other breakables in his entire place.
He was so out of control that everyone just got the hell out. By the time the law got there, he was passed out on his couch, laying on broken glass...
Here's to you, Perry... You did what a lot of us probably felt like doing, but weren't crazy enough to actually do...

Double Barrel
01-04-2008, 12:33 PM
yeah, I remember watching it with a buddy (Jungle Bob, as a matter of fact), and we went outside at halftime just to let out some of the excitement. I mean, we were certain at that point of victory...we could feel it, we had the team, years of playoff attempts...and damn, the rest of the afternoon is just a blur, one that I've worked on for years to erase from my memory.

I think the overwhelming majority of Oilers fans were blindsided that day, and I have yet to meet one that endured the experience without some kind of mental and/or emotional scar leftover.

Second Honeymoon
01-04-2008, 12:38 PM

I HATE YOU DB!! :)

Wolf
01-04-2008, 12:53 PM
this thread needs to be referenced when people complain about teams running up the score.

:)

santo
01-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Is when I became an Oiler fan. That was the first game of football I had ever watched.

My brother-in-law introduced me to football that day when he told me about the playoffs and how Houston was in them.

Good memories, because I remember the next year I started watching every game after the Oilers went 1-4 (because I didn't know football season had started) and saw them win 11 games in a row.

Plus, I went to the Playoff game in the Astrodome when they lost to Kansas City.:(

Texan_Bill
01-04-2008, 01:35 PM

That sucks!! Why, in the name of all that is Holy, would you make us suffer with you?!?!??? :bat:

Double Barrel
01-04-2008, 02:07 PM
this thread needs to be referenced when people complain about teams running up the score.

yep, good point. I always bring up 35-3 when talking to folks about 'running up the score'. The simple fact is that your offense should be out there to score on every drive until the clock says 0:00 4th qtr.

That sucks!! Why, in the name of all that is Holy, would you make us suffer with you?!?!??? :bat:

I suppose I'm mean that way. :howdy:

NitroGSXR
01-04-2008, 03:17 PM

???

I'm now calling for DB's moderating powers to be stripped and immediately have him institutionalized. Who's with me?!?!

You're a mean man, DB.

:texflag:

Second Honeymoon
01-04-2008, 05:02 PM
???

I'm now calling for DB's moderating powers to be stripped and immediately have him institutionalized. Who's with me?!?!

You're a mean man, DB.

:texflag:

/signed

Double Barrel
01-04-2008, 05:31 PM
heh heh, now come on, you've got to admit that re-living the past certainly makes us appreciate our Texans that much more, 'eh? ;)

Second Honeymoon
01-04-2008, 05:37 PM
heh heh, now come on, you've got to admit that re-living the past certainly makes us appreciate our Texans that much more, 'eh? ;)

you keep tellin' yourself that. i am sure in some dingy smelly watering hole in Buffalo, some fat drunk toothless guy in a wing sauce-stained Jim Kelly jersey is going to make a toast tonight in honor of that game. I don't think anyone is going to bring up that game here in Houston......that is except DB.....

KHAN!!!!

Double Barrel
01-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Actually my buddy heard it on local sports talk radio. Evidently, they wanted to broadcast the pain.

Second Honeymoon
01-04-2008, 06:27 PM
OMG!! The Oilers v. Bills 35-3 debacle is going to be shown on NFL Network tonight at around 8pm. I think it may be unedited broadcast. omg, I may have to have my wife watch it so she can see what I still bring up to this day for herself.

thanks DB. you have already planned out my Friday evening at home with the wife and kid. i am sure she is going to be really happy about watching a taped re-broadcast so I can complain all night and think about what might have been........Oilers v Cowboys Super Bowl. Buddy v. Jimmah.

aj.
01-04-2008, 07:02 PM
I was so pissed that I couldn't watch the very end. I got on my bike and rode it around the block a few times and didn't come back until I knew the inevitable occurred. Later I got out my lawn mower and mowed a large area of grass behind my fence to work off stress. It was a clear cool day in Houston.

Shortly after dark - maybe 6:30 - 7:00 ish, we heard commotion outside and saw several police cars parked in the street (not a regular happening in my 'hood). Next thing I know there's an officer and a large German Shepherd at my door. I answer the door and he said they're in pursuit of a suspect who's on foot and they have reason to believe he jumped either my back fence or one of my neighbors and they knew the suspect was hiding somewhere nearby.

He asked to search my backyard - I let him in the front door, through the living room and out the back door. Wife and daughter are a little concerned. I'm anxious to watch this 85 lb pack of teeth and muscle tear into this scumbag. It would be a nice distraction to the misery I witnessed on tv a few hours earlier.

They search my backyard. Nothing.

On his way back out the front, I asked the officer a little more about the suspect. He tells me that they were staking out a drug deal in some apartments about a mile away from my house. Suspect got away and ran. As he ran, he shed clothing - to shed his scent I guess. That's when the officer added that said suspect was butt naked.

About 20 minutes later I hear more commotion. I look out my front window and about six officers and the hungry K9 have this little stoner face down in the grass in my front yard, guns drawn. They cuff him and leave him lay there for a while - as they stand around talking etc. Turns out the little stoner was hiding in the front bushes of my neighbor two doors down and the dog eventually flushed him out.

Of course by now all the neighbors started to walk by to see what was happening in my front yard. All they saw was the naked guy, cuffed. Several of the neighbors thought it was me but upon closer inspection they were relieved to know that given the circumstances in Buffalo earlier in the day - and given that everyone knew how big of an Oilers fan I was - that it wasn't me that the cops had to cuff.

And that's what I remember most after the Bubba McDowell pick. The rest has been blocked out of memory for some reason.

Wolf
01-04-2008, 09:04 PM
well NFL network is replaying the 93 game in a few minutes ..

Wolf
01-04-2008, 10:45 PM
yeah nice 28-3 lead at half

Giant Tiger
01-04-2008, 10:48 PM

That's true. There's a guy on the Ottawa sports radio station who was whining about the Patriots running up the score this year. Then he talked about '93. Guess who he cheers for?:thumbdown

TEXANRED
01-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Is when I became an Oiler fan. That was the first game of football I had ever watched.

My brother-in-law introduced me to football that day when he told me about the playoffs and how Houston was in them.

Good memories, because I remember the next year I started watching every game after the Oilers went 1-4 (because I didn't know football season had started) and saw them win 11 games in a row.

Plus, I went to the Playoff game in the Astrodome when they lost to Kansas City.:(

So all of it is your fault. I bet you were at the save the Oilers ralley as well.

TEXANRED
01-04-2008, 11:04 PM
I was so pissed that I couldn't watch the very end. I got on my bike and rode it around the block a few times and didn't come back until I knew the inevitable occurred. Later I got out my lawn mower and mowed a large area of grass behind my fence to work off stress. It was a clear cool day in Houston.

I remember the day a little differently. It was cold with a dark gray overcast. I also did and still do live on the north side of Houston.

I remember watching the Bills score the first two TD's and seeing BeBee's foot out of bounds and yet it was still a TD's. I had to leave to calm down so I rode my bike over to my friends house and continued to watch the game from there. Getting even more upset.

Lost in over time.

That was the first time I can remember hitting that upper level of pist. I had never been there before. I just sat on my bike in the middle of the street staring at the pavement. I didn't exactly know how to handle that level of pist offness.

Wolf
01-04-2008, 11:11 PM
just saw that play

onside kick

then questionable fumble on don's catch
then out of bounds and wide open

painful to watch

Speedy
01-04-2008, 11:14 PM
The day the Oilers died...

....at least to me anyway. I never rooted for them again.

HoustonFrog
01-04-2008, 11:15 PM
I just got home from beer and friends at Pub Fiction and they were playing it there. The first half was dominance. I forgot how early Reich came on.

Second Honeymoon
01-04-2008, 11:18 PM
i was away at school in Austin and me and my 2 friends lived off campus off 61st and i-35 in a house. well we watched the game, drank just loads of beer during the incredible first half, then went to the grocery store for more beer at halftime already thinking about next weeks opponent (the steelers if memory serves me). well we get back just in time to see McDowell open the 2nd half with a interception return for a TD. 35-3.

We were on cloud nine and it finally seemed like the run-n-shoot was clicking. Then it was just a painful slow death and even though Del Greco kicked a field goal to get us to Overtime, Moon was in such a choke mode that I pretty much knew we were beat. Then Givens gets held going across teh middle of the field and Moon still throws it to him and they get the pick, hand the ball off 3 times, and win the game with a field goal. We went to vent outside and took all our Oilers paraphenalia and made a funeral pyre for the season. i still remember my knite Oilers scarf burning in flames alongside my bud's Moon jersey. We relieved ourselves on the fire to put it out and told ourselves 'I will never watch the Oilers again. Screw them. Moon is a choker' It was a sad day and made me a paranoid sports fan. I never feel like any team of mine has the game won until I see 0:00 on the clock.

Of course there we were the following year of Buddy Ryan and we end up going to the game in the Dome where Montana ripped our heart out and punked us in the Oilers only divisional playoff home game. That was the kiss of death for the franchise in Houston. no one could believe in them anymore....and then they left the city.

Imatexanfan
01-04-2008, 11:32 PM
Take a wild guess whats playing on the NFL network right now?! January 3, 1993, the worst game in Houston sports history. Oilers and Bills I still think Bud Adams sold us old or something "money-wise" went on.:user:

GP
01-04-2008, 11:54 PM
Worst day of my "fan life."

1. Beebe was out of bounds. Not a single ref saw it (I guess).

2. On our last drive, IIRC, we had been driving the ball down the field and Moon throws a pass that would have been caught but I think Talley (a LB) interfered with our WR. I haven't watched the game since it actually happened because I can't handle it. So I'm going off of 1993 memory on this one.

3. I promptly took a baseball bat, marched out to the backyard and began to absolutely demolish the bat by swinging at a tree trunk until it was splintered. I begged my parents to let me stay home from school so that my friends wouldn't be able to rag on me all day about the loss. THAT'S how big football is in Texas...you don't want to endure the trash talk form your friends after a loss like that.

I hate Dallas, but them beating the Bills this year...coming from behind and stunning that Bills crowd, leaving fans crying...was the first time I ever cheered for the Cowboys.

I hate the Bills. Forever.

b0ng
01-05-2008, 12:42 AM
Bills did it without Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas (And some other star of theirs was injured too).

Oilers (and the refs) handed the Bills that game on a silver platter.

And before you ask, no I haven't seen that game since '93 either.

Carr Bombed
01-05-2008, 12:49 AM
You want to know how bad that loss was.......I honestly believe if the Oilers win that game......they would still be playing here.

Oh well, now I laugh when I see the "1 yard short" game (which also aired today) and now we're down 1 @sshole owner......we came out ahead in the long run.

Showtime100
01-05-2008, 02:18 AM
I remember the day a little differently. It was cold with a dark gray overcast. I also did and still do live on the north side of Houston.

I remember watching the Bills score the first two TD's and seeing BeBee's foot out of bounds and yet it was still a TD's. I had to leave to calm down so I rode my bike over to my friends house and continued to watch the game from there. Getting even more upset.

Lost in over time.

That was the first time I can remember hitting that upper level of pist. I had never been there before. I just sat on my bike in the middle of the street staring at the pavement. I didn't exactly know how to handle that level of pist offness.

I remember it as being rainy in Georgetown, Tx. that day. I was at my fiance's place and at some point in the 3rd I grabbed my stuff, explained to her the sick feeling in my gut and that Oiler fans far and wide are feeling the same. Told her I just have to leave and if I did we'll all have a better day for it. I went to San Gabriel Park there, sat in the car, and listened in horror. The next day she asked what happened. You ever try to explain a maddening thing like that?? I just postured about ten different times as if to start a rant each time and never said a word, then just started laughing the laugh of that whacked out friend in "Bachelor Party."

Double Barrel
01-05-2008, 02:36 AM
Several of the neighbors thought it was me but upon closer inspection they were relieved to know that given the circumstances in Buffalo earlier in the day - and given that everyone knew how big of an Oilers fan I was - that it wasn't me that the cops had to cuff.

That's a classic story, aj! :heh:

Reading all these stories about a shared experience is actually a bit cathartic, especially 15 years later. Sort of like the Shuttle tragedy for Houston football fans, 'where were you when...'

The day the Oilers died...

....at least to me anyway. I never rooted for them again.

It was definitely the beginning of the end, especially with all the animosity that had built up between Bud Adams and the fans.

But c'mon, you didn't root for them even a little the next year when they went 12-4? yeah yeah, we lost to Joe Montana, but it was still a crazy (and fun) season. I was at the Jets game when Buddy Ryan punched Kevin Gilbride, but I didn't hear about it until the radio on the way home. I was even hoping they'd do something in the playoffs that season, but to be honest, I remember not having any belief that they would do it. 35-3 ripped the soul out of that team, and left permanent mental scars on all Oiler fans that experienced it. I still have a hard time comprehending a choke of that magnitude.

You want to know how bad that loss was.......I honestly believe if the Oilers win that game......they would still be playing here.

I agree 100%. I still believe that if they had sealed the deal against the Bills, the Oilers would have eventually gotten their butts kicked by the Cowboys in the Super Bowl that year. But an appearance in the big game would have generated the enthusiasm among fans to support building a new stadium to keep the team here.

Oh well, now I laugh when I see the "1 yard short" game (which also aired today) and now we're down 1 @sshole owner......we came out ahead in the long run.

I think the long term will show that things worked out better for Houston fans in the end, too. :texflag:

ledzeppelin229
01-05-2008, 02:37 AM
Fortunately I was only 7 years old and don't really have any memory of it. I was more of a basketball fan back then so other than other peoples recollections / nightmares I still haven't seen the game. But I have a feeling it would have really ruined my night.

ATX
01-05-2008, 03:09 AM
I was 13 at the time and by the end of the game I had a mustache and was a full blown alcoholic. Yeah it was rough, but that memory faded when we got the Texans here. These first 6 seasons have been a cake walk compared to that game.

aj.
01-05-2008, 07:42 AM

I'll give you high overcast (5 mile visibility) but not dark gray or cold (no precip and daytime temps in the high 60's - low 70's). At least that's the way it was in my neck of the woods.

http://www.almanac.com/weatherhistory/oneday.php?number=722436&wban=12906&direction=prev&day=03&month=01&year=1993&searchtype=zip

It probably just seemed cold and dark because of the game. I know it was nice enough for me to mow about two football fields worth of grass behind my fence after the game - with a push mower.

Malloy
01-05-2008, 08:26 AM

It builds character :)

Malloy
01-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Of course by now all the neighbors started to walk by to see what was happening in my front yard. All they saw was the naked guy, cuffed. Several of the neighbors thought it was me but upon closer inspection they were relieved to know that given the circumstances in Buffalo earlier in the day - and given that everyone knew how big of an Oilers fan I was - that it wasn't me that the cops had to cuff.

It would be awesome if one could get ahold of the stoner, and get his side of the story :)

Overalls
01-05-2008, 01:32 PM

I think I am with TEXANRED on this one. I would like to see the Texans win the Super Bowl before the ICOU and when the team comes back to Houston, fans fill Reliant to over flow and chant "thank you Bud, thank you Bud" and he has a massive heart attack knowing the sarcasim in the fans chant and his inabillity to ever win the big one.

Speedy
01-05-2008, 03:12 PM
But c'mon, you didn't root for them even a little the next year when they went 12-4? yeah yeah, we lost to Joe Montana, but it was still a crazy (and fun) season. I was at the Jets game when Buddy Ryan punched Kevin Gilbride, but I didn't hear about it until the radio on the way home. I was even hoping they'd do something in the playoffs that season, but to be honest, I remember not having any belief that they would do it. 35-3 ripped the soul out of that team, and left permanent mental scars on all Oiler fans that experienced it. I still have a hard time comprehending a choke of that magnitude.

Nope, I was done with them. Looking back I like to think I had a premonition of what was to come and so I never invested that kind of emotion into them again.

As for my story that day, I was of course having an outstanding time screaming and celebrating. At the half, the wife (ex-wife now) said to me that that game's over and wanted me to go shopping with her. Me being the somewhat superstitious type I am in knowing that you don't say game's are in the bag when there's plenty of time left, and the fact that no way in hell was I going shopping and miss the biggest victory in Oiler history, replied back with, "This game is not over 'til it's over." The Oilers scored in the 3rd to make it 35-3 and she said, "now it's over." I said, (tongue in cheek) "Buffalo only needs 5 TD's and they win". I wasn't freaking going shopping. Well, she went shopping and I sat there in my chair and went through a downward spiral of emotions until there was just no emotion left. I just felt numb. I think for most of the 4th through the end of the game, I just sat there in a daze, never said a word.

Anyway, I too have never watched that game again. In fact, I've never rewatched any heart-breaking losses by Houston teams. Buffalo game, Renfro in the end zone, the Astros game 6 against the Mets or game 5 vs. the Phillies, Phi Slama Jama in the title game against the Wolfpack, the Coogs in the Cotton Bowl vs. Mr. Perfect Montana. I just never saw the point in reliving that stuff. The first time was enough.

aj.
01-05-2008, 04:10 PM
'93 was the most bizarre season I will ever experience. I can say that with certainty.

Few in the 'dome knew about the punch. I realized something was up by listening to the radio on the way home, but it wasn't until turning on ESPN when I got home that I fully grasped the situation.

I was a passionate Oilers fan until the minute the moving vans hit the city limits out there past Kingwood somewhere ... and not a second more.

TEXANRED
01-05-2008, 06:37 PM
'93 was the most bizarre season I will ever experience. I can say that with certainty.

Few in the 'dome knew about the punch. I realized something was up by listening to the radio on the way home, but it wasn't until turning on ESPN when I got home that I fully grasped the situation.

93' was the most emotional season any one football fan can stand. Even comparing what the Redskins went through does not compare.

Bud Adams begins the season by telling his team that if they don't win it all he will dismantle the team, 1-4 start. Jeff Alm crashing his car in the middle of the night killing his friend, flipping out and blowing his face off with a shot gun. Losing our best defensive player for the year, the reason Buddy punched Gilbride. Buddy thought we should of kneeled the ball instead we turn the ball over putting our Defense back on the field before halftime.

Having my history teacher practically call me stupid b/c at 1-4 I looked at the schedule and stated we would not lose another game. He thought I was crazy b.c. we played the 49ers and didn't think we stood a chance. If I remember correctly we won that game 10-3.

Having grocery stores pull KC Masterpiece from there shelves the week of the KC playoff game.

Funny thing about KC is that we played them earlier that year, and is the 1 in the 1-4, and 30-0, Joe was hurt and did not play.

I was a huge Oiler fan. So much so that is what I wrote my English papers on. Others would do anti drug or abortion, I wrote what our strengths and weaknesses were and what we needed to do to to improve as a team.

I was a passionate Oilers fan until the minute the moving vans hit the city limits out there past Kingwood somewhere ... and not a second more.

Same here, I went to the last Oiler/Steelers game. That was still one of the best games I have ever seen. There were only 56k people there, and mostly in black and gold, but you wouldn't have know it.

The Oilers leaving the field and then retaking the field after the game to say thank you and goodbye.

And I have to give the Steelers fans credit, they took the ribbing pretty good.

Speedy
01-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Same here, I went to the last Oiler/Steelers game. That was still one of the best games I have ever seen. There were only 56k people there, and mostly in black and gold, but you wouldn't have know it.

That game was the last victory by a Houston pro team in the Astrodome.

Showtime100
01-05-2008, 10:03 PM
That game was the last victory by a Houston pro team in the Astrodome.

The Astros were winless in the Dome for three years??? You have a scoop there pal. :D

TEXANRED
01-05-2008, 11:14 PM
The Astros were winless in the Dome for three years??? You have a scoop there pal. :D

The last team that mattered

TexanSam
01-05-2008, 11:22 PM
I wasn't living in Houston at the time (I was 6 years old when it happened anyway so I wouldn't have remembered it anyway) but reading all these stories makes me feel bad for all the fans that followed the Oilers.

I'm glad they aren't playing here! If they were that would mean we'd have Bud Adams as our owner and I probably wouldn't have season tickets!

Showtime100
01-05-2008, 11:23 PM
The last team that mattered

To you maybe.

TEXANRED
01-05-2008, 11:29 PM
To you maybe.

It was a joke.

Txn_in_FL
01-06-2008, 04:09 AM
It NEVER happened.

Staring in disbelief at the tv. Wondering WTF happened...
Nope. Never happened.

Burning every piece of Oilers gear I own on the back porch...
Nope. Never happened.

Being a part of the biggest gut punch in NFL history...
Nope. Never happened.

I don't care what anyone says or how many times they show the replay. It's an effing conspiracy and it never happened. I've found peace in that.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

:gun:

Showtime100
01-06-2008, 09:42 AM
It was a joke.

I meant to put a smiley of some kind on that, but I was sleepy-tired at the time and forgot. I know we were joking. Last night I was trying to remember the legal moves Bud the Dud used when he backed out of the preseason game against the Chargers in the Dome. He was citing bad turf. Can you or anybody refresh my memory on that one. That %$%#$ was bizarre.

aj.
01-06-2008, 11:15 AM
I was trying to remember the legal moves Bud the Dud used when he backed out of the preseason game against the Chargers in the Dome. He was citing bad turf. Can you or anybody refresh my memory on that one. That %$%#$ was bizarre.

What was bizarre was going to the game, getting to our seats and then realizing something was up as we watched players come out and test the soft areas - then being sent home. I knew it couldn't be good when we heard PA announcer Jim Corolla repeatedly say "Steve Underwood, please report to the field." Underwood was Bud's chief legal counsel.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1995_1292510

aj.
01-06-2008, 11:16 AM
I was trying to remember the legal moves Bud the Dud used when he backed out of the preseason game against the Chargers in the Dome. He was citing bad turf. Can you or anybody refresh my memory on that one. That %$%#$ was bizarre.

What was bizarre was going to the game, getting to our seats and then realizing something was up as we watched players come out and test the soft areas - then being sent home. I knew it couldn't be good when we heard PA announcer Jim Corolla repeatedly say "Steve Underwood, please report to the field." Underwood was Bud's chief legal counsel.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1995_1292199

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1995_1292202

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1995_1292835

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1995_1303980

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1995_1310599

And so we got Reliant, Minute Maid, and Toyota Center and got rid of Bud. Not a bad trade. But if you are a Harris Co. taxpayer, you are still paying off that $67 million Dome expansion for Bud that we did in the late 80's (Fund Codes 1120 and 1130 in the current budget)

http://www.hctx.net/CmpDocuments/74/Budget/J-Account%20Code%20Structure%20FUNDS.pdf

According to this, there was about $350k rollover still in the FY '06-'07 adjusted budget. Nothing on actuals or what's left. Search on Astrodome and you will find the line item.

http://www.hctx.net/CmpDocuments/74/PDF/Vol%203%20-%20FY%2007-08%20Special%20Funds%20Appropriations.pdf

Overalls
01-06-2008, 11:49 AM
That is one thing that really hurt us about the Buffalo game. That gigantic choke job was still on everyones mind when Dud held the city hostage for the 2nd time. He has never been the sharpest tool in the shed but to threaten to move when we still owed 80 million on the Dome renovations and shortly after the team embarassed it's fans with that game. People could understand losing to Joe Montana and the Chiefs the following year but we are still talking about the "Greatest choke job in NFL history".

:fans:

aj.
01-06-2008, 12:12 PM
I have a diatribe on this saved somewhere... the high points were:

firing Bum
the jax threats and fool me once
Buffalo
KC
his proposal for building a multi-use dome downtown that the Rockets could share with the Oilers ... never mind that he failed to tell the Rockets about the idea
alienating almost every business and political leader in the city/county through his oilpatch 'kill or be killed' mentality. He was used to getting his way and was totally out of his element when in front of the public or asking for permission
threatening to move the team after coming off a 2-14 campaign in '94.
trading Moon and entirely busting up the team prior to 2-14

I get his side of the issue - the lease thing. He was a master of poor timing and if the Oilers had taken care of business in either 92 or 93, he would have likely gotten his new playpen.

Showtime100
01-06-2008, 12:12 PM

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1995_1292199

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1995_1292202

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1995_1292835

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1995_1303980

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1995_1310599

And so we got Reliant, Minute Maid, and Toyota Center and got rid of Bud. Not a bad trade. But if you are a Harris Co. taxpayer, you are still paying off that $67 million Dome expansion for Bud that we did in the late 80's (Fund Codes 1120 and 1130 in the current budget)

http://www.hctx.net/CmpDocuments/74/Budget/J-Account%20Code%20Structure%20FUNDS.pdf

According to this, there was about $350k rollover still in the FY '06-'07 adjusted budget. Nothing on actuals or what's left. Search on Astrodome and you will find the line item.

http://www.hctx.net/CmpDocuments/74/PDF/Vol%203%20-%20FY%2007-08%20Special%20Funds%20Appropriations.pdf

I appeciate the nice effort there, aj, very cool. Thanks. :)

Overalls
01-06-2008, 12:36 PM
I have a diatribe on this saved somewhere... the high points were:

firing Bum
the jax threats and fool me once
Buffalo
KC
his proposal for building a multi-use dome downtown that the Rockets could share with the Oilers ... never mind that he failed to tell the Rockets about the idea alienating almost every business and political leader in the city/county through his oilpatch 'kill or be killed' mentality. He was used to getting his way and was totally out of his element when in front of the public or asking for permission
threatening to move the team after coming off a 2-14 campaign in '94.
trading Moon and entirely busting up the team prior to 2-14

I get his side of the issue - the lease thing. He was a master of poor timing and if the Oilers had taken care of business in either 92 or 93, he would have likely gotten his new playpen.

And when he turncoats to Nashville they give him an open air stadium that cost about a third of what he was asking for here.

GuerillaBlack
01-06-2008, 12:37 PM
If the Texans and Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo don't mess it up, they will make the Astrodome into a resort hotel. Think the Gaylord Texan in Grapevine, Texas.

aj.
01-06-2008, 01:28 PM
And when he turncoats to Nashville they give him an open air stadium that cost about a third of what he was asking for here.

That's not true. What is now LP Field in Nashville cost $290 million to construct (in 1999 dollars).

http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/afc/LPField.htm

Bud's 'Bud Dome' proposal here was $245 million in 1994 dollars (he was going to kick in $50 mill and the remaining would be public subsidy).

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1994_1229179

I also recall another option for a 70,000 seat open air venue that was much cheaper - in the $150 - 175 million range.

SheTexan
01-06-2008, 02:30 PM

I have that happen also Showtime. I have a good excuse these days though. I just tell them I am getting OLD and have selective memory, so I CHOOSE NOT to remember!:)

Overalls
01-06-2008, 02:35 PM
That's not true. What is now LP Field in Nashville cost $290 million to construct (in 1999 dollars).

http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/afc/LPField.htm

Bud's 'Bud Dome' proposal here was $245 million in 1994 dollars (he was going to kick in $50 mill and the remaining would be public subsidy).

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1994_1229179

I also recall another option for a 70,000 seat open air venue that was much cheaper - in the $150 - 175 million range.

This quote is probable why I was remembering wrong.

Apparently, this was all too much for Mayor Lanier. His rhetoric about taking money from Joe Sixpack gave way to defeatism. He noted that “the three leagues are monopolies and they’re behaving logically for monopolies.” He and Harris County officials announced the formation of a commission to study the possibility of building new sports facilities. This is the equivalent of establishing a bipartisan commission in Washington, D.C., to deal with Social Security or Medicare. It provides cover. Predictably, the commission came back with the recommendation that Houston build new facilities for baseball and basketball, and upgrade the Astrodome for football. Estimated price: $625 million.

Looks like Nashville really got bent over.

A deal between the Oilers and Nashville was announced in November 1995. The stadium would seat 67,000, with 120 luxury suites and 9,600 premium seats. Adams would not only not have to lay out a dime to build the new facility, but he would also receive a $28 million relocation fee and garner 100 percent of stadium-related revenues. The state would kick in $55 million in construction bonds and $12 million more for road improvements. Nashville would fork over $144 million and had to guarantee $70 million in net sales of personal seat licenses, giving fans the option to buy tickets.

Both quotes are from this article.

http://www.fee.org/publications/the-freeman/article.asp?aid=3344

aj.
01-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Looks like Nashville really got bent over.

Our taxpayers got off relatively easy considering the hotel/rental car tax is the 'public' subsidy. It was the only way it would happen here. Other places like Minneapolis and California continue to balk at that.

Hervoyel
01-06-2008, 08:33 PM

So very true. That game is really why I quit caring so much about Oiler football. Sure the next year I got excited and came back but the loss to the Chiefs and Joe Montana didn't bother me like it should have. It didn't even take a day to shake off. The reason is obvious in hindsight. The love affair with my football team was on the rocks bigtime. If they'd stayed I imagine that after some amount of time I'd have recovered. Hell I wanted the Texans to BE the Oilers so by at least 2002 I was ready to give it another shot. Bud wouldn't allow that though so it's just gone completely now.

I love watching the Titans lose though. It was nice to see the Chargers send Bud's boys packing from the playoffs in typical first round "Yer outta here!" fashion.

DiehardChris
01-06-2008, 08:34 PM
I was there at Rich Stadium that day. Thanks for the reminder. LOL

Double Barrel
01-07-2008, 11:51 AM
I was a huge Oiler fan. So much so that is what I wrote my English papers on. Others would do anti drug or abortion, I wrote what our strengths and weaknesses were and what we needed to do to to improve as a team.

That's awesome! :thumbup

The Oilers leaving the field and then retaking the field after the game to say thank you and goodbye.

And I have to give the Steelers fans credit, they took the ribbing pretty good.

yeah, we went to that game on the spur of the moment and missed most of the 1st qtr. because traffic around the 'dome was so bad. Who knew that so many people would show up for a lame duck team?! It was easily a 2-1 ratio of Steelers fans to Oilers fans, but man, what a nice way to say goodbye to a team that meant so much too us.

So very true. That game is really why I quit caring so much about Oiler football. Sure the next year I got excited and came back but the loss to the Chiefs and Joe Montana didn't bother me like it should have. It didn't even take a day to shake off. The reason is obvious in hindsight. The love affair with my football team was on the rocks bigtime. If they'd stayed I imagine that after some amount of time I'd have recovered. Hell I wanted the Texans to BE the Oilers so by at least 2002 I was ready to give it another shot. Bud wouldn't allow that though so it's just gone completely now.

I love watching the Titans lose though. It was nice to see the Chargers send Bud's boys packing from the playoffs in typical first round "Yer outta here!" fashion.

I feel the same way on both points. The loss to Montana had no sting, and to this day, I actively root for the Titans to lose. That hatred has actually replaced my hatred for the Cowboys, and even my son knows there is one time when it's o.k. to root for a Cowboys win: when they play the Titans! :evilb:

Texan_Bill
01-07-2008, 12:31 PM

And right on que, the NFLN televised that fatefull game Friday night.. And yes, like the glutton for punishment that I am, I watched it... STUPID!!

Well, not really. It actually turned out to be very cathartic for me. I think I finally have that game and the loss of the Oilers out of my system. Furthermore I have come to accpet that they were, are and always will be a loser because of the bad karma brought on by Dud.

Double Barrel
01-07-2008, 12:38 PM
And right on que, the NFLN televised that fatefull game Friday night.. And yes, like the glutton for punishment that I am, I watched it... STUPID!!

Well, not really. It actually turned out to be very cathartic for me. I think I finally have that game and the loss of the Oilers out of my system. Furthermore I have come to accpet that they were, are and always will be a loser because of the bad karma brought on by Dud.

yep, I watched part of it, too. And as much as I liked Warren Moon, the fact remains that he was never a big game QB. Sure, he had a perfect first half of football against the Bills, but it's a 60 minute game and nobody can expect to coast to a win in the NFL playoffs. I would not expect Montana, Elway, Marino, and even today's elite QBs like Brady and Manning, to lose a 33 point lead in less than one half of football.

Seal the deal, yo

Texan_Bill
01-07-2008, 12:46 PM
yep, I watched part of it, too. And as much as I liked Warren Moon, the fact remains that he was never a big game QB. Sure, he had a perfect first half of football against the Bills, but it's a 60 minute game and nobody can expect to coast to a win in the NFL playoffs. I would not expect Montana, Elway, Marino, and even today's elite QBs like Brady and Manning, to lose a 33 point lead in less than one half of football.

Seal the deal, yo

Agreed. I liked Moon too, but his play-off record speaks volumes.

HOU-TEX
01-07-2008, 12:58 PM

I watched the first half. :shades:

Second Honeymoon
01-07-2008, 05:17 PM
I watched the first half. :shades:.

I watched it on my tivo right up to the point after Bubba's interception return for a TD making it 35-3. I havent gathered the stones to watch the rest of the 2nd half yet. I don't want to wake up any old demons and will need to be in the right frame of mind to watch that debacle. I have never liked Todd Christensen and hearing those announcers honk for the Bills so blatantly would probably send me over the edge.

Texan_Bill
01-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Typically (and again, I'm a glutton) I watch until OT starts, because we haven't lost at that point and I still hold out hope. :gun:

HOU-TEX
01-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Typically (and again, I'm a glutton) I watch until OT starts, because we haven't lost at that point and I still hold out hope. :gun:

LMAO! Keep that hope alive Bill and maybe, just maybe, we'll pull that game out at the end. :)

Texan_Bill
01-08-2008, 10:35 AM
LMAO! Keep that hope alive Bill and maybe, just maybe, we'll pull that game out at the end. :)

I'm praying that it will happen one of these days.... :cowboy1: