PDA

View Full Version : Are you all satisfied with an 8-8 season?

gary
12-31-2007, 07:26 PM
Are you?:fans: :fans: :fans:

MojoMan
12-31-2007, 07:49 PM
I am satisfied with a two game improvement over last year, especially in light of the adversity that the Texans had to overcome to win eight games.

Yes, I am satisfied. I have a warm and fuzzy feeling inside due to the Texan's 8-8 record, which I believe might just be adequate to carry me over until training camp in July.

The trend is clearly upwards. I am feeling optimistic about the Texan's prospects for the future. It's all good.

Happy New Year to the Texans and their fans!

dtran04
12-31-2007, 07:52 PM
If you told me AJ, Dunta, Schaub and Ahman would be out a significant amount of time at the beginning of the year, I would have jumped on 8-8.

Malloy
12-31-2007, 07:57 PM
In a division where the other three teams made the playoffs... Satisfied is the word that pops up.. :)

Hagar
12-31-2007, 08:03 PM
I'm satisfied with it for this season. Considering the horrid 2-14 season of a couple of years ago, when this team was in a really bad position as far as talent and organizational structure. You don't replace everybody all at once. There are some bright spots in our future.

1. Salary cap and dead money. When Rick Smith took over as GM we had a ton of dead money on our roster. Now, most of that money is gone and we can start making some moves in FA.
2. We have two viable QBs. Yes, they still have questions marks but before we had no QBs.
3. We have leadership on the defensive side of the ball. When we lost Sharper and Glenn, we took a huge hit to our team's leadership. Now, with the maturing of Demeco and DRob, that leadership void is being filled.
4. Playmakers on the offensive side of the ball. Before it was just Andre and he got smothered by the opposing defense each week. Now with the emergence of Daniels and the upstart Andre Davis, opposing defenses have to cover everybody.
5. A young, talented front 7. We have a pro bowl MLB and an up and coming DE. Include a new, extremely young DT, and you've got the makings of a good defense for years to come.
6. A young aggressive GM who has a knack for finding talent off the street - Maddox, Leech, Demps, Davis.
7. A young head coach who has brought this team to its best record in franchise history, who, by his own account, has a lot to learn. Just think how good we'll be when he learns it.

Yeah, I'll have to say I'm satisfied with 8-8 this year because I know it will get better.

brakos82
12-31-2007, 08:35 PM
Am I surprised? Not really.
Am I disappointed? Not at all.
Am I satisfied? Yeah, I'd say so.
Am I excited for 2008 on? :fans:

gary
12-31-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm satisfied with it for this season. Considering the horrid 2-14 season of a couple of years ago, when this team was in a really bad position as far as talent and organizational structure. You don't replace everybody all at once. There are some bright spots in our future.

1. Salary cap and dead money. When Rick Smith took over as GM we had a ton of dead money on our roster. Now, most of that money is gone and we can start making some moves in FA.
2. We have two viable QBs. Yes, they still have questions marks but before we had no QBs.
3. We have leadership on the defensive side of the ball. When we lost Sharper and Glenn, we took a huge hit to our team's leadership. Now, with the maturing of Demeco and DRob, that leadership void is being filled.
4. Playmakers on the offensive side of the ball. Before it was just Andre and he got smothered by the opposing defense each week. Now with the emergence of Daniels and the upstart Andre Davis, opposing defenses have to cover everybody.
5. A young, talented front 7. We have a pro bowl MLB and an up and coming DE. Include a new, extremely young DT, and you've got the makings of a good defense for years to come.
6. A young aggressive GM who has a knack for finding talent off the street - Maddox, Leech, Demps, Davis.
7. A young head coach who has brought this team to its best record in franchise history, who, by his own account, has a lot to learn. Just think how good we'll be when he learns it.

Yeah, I'll have to say I'm satisfied with 8-8 this year because I know it will get better. Next year we need to stay healthy and maybe just maybe it will be a playoff season.

PapaL
12-31-2007, 08:47 PM
Until we're winners, no I am not satisfied.

Is it a step in the right direction? Of course.

Here's to a better 2008 season.

gary
12-31-2007, 08:56 PM
Like I said STAY HEALTHY.

beerlover
12-31-2007, 09:05 PM
Are you?:fans: :fans: :fans:

yes gary, yes I am :toast2:

gary
12-31-2007, 09:16 PM
I think of it this way. Where we could have been if it weren't for all the injuries?

PapaL
12-31-2007, 09:33 PM
Every team deals with injuries. Using that as an excuse is a cop-out in my opinion. We need a better roster from top to bottom.

No one goes injury free all year long.

gary
12-31-2007, 09:41 PM
I don't know about top to bottom but we do need a new roster.

Dread-Head
12-31-2007, 10:00 PM
I love the Houston Texans but I was always lead to believe that you should always evaluate your performance critically and if you were competing and didn't finish first figure out what you did wrong and strive to make the needed improvements.
If you finished first. Ask yourself what you have to do to improve on your performance to insure that you finish first NEXT year. Never be satisfied with yourself no matter how well you THINK you're doing and ultimately you'll be the best. You don't measure that in titles or trophies it's a hunger that only a chosen few can ever truly hope to know.

The Pencil Neck
01-01-2008, 01:01 AM
I've said this several times but I think it's important.

People frequently use words and phrases when talking about their teams as though they were a player. The players and coaches and owner and management shouldn't be satisfied at all. If they don't win the Super Bowl then they should consider the season a failure and they should be working hard in the offseason to fix that.

But... I'm not a player. I'm a fan. The concept of being satisfied is the wrong approach to being a fan because for me at least, the word "satisfied" carries with it connotations of doing something about it if you're NOT satisfied.

I'm going to support my team whether they go undefeated or whether they don't win a game. That's MY job as a fan. The only real way you can "not stand for" a losing season or express your dissatisfaction is to stop being a fan of the team and if you do that, it seems to me you're a fairweather fan.

So, am I satisfied? I'm satisfied and happy that I have a team. Do I wish they were perennial winners? Yes. Am I going to wait around until they are? Yep.

whiskeyrbl
01-01-2008, 07:02 AM
I was always told " If your satisfied, you will never get better". With that said I will say I am happy about the non losing season, and happy with our progress in most areas. But satisfied.....never satisfied....texanpride

HJam72
01-01-2008, 07:21 AM
I'm sorely disappointed that after 6 seasons this team's best record is 8-8. Starting with Kubiak, after the debacle that was our first regime, and considering all the injuries this year, I am not just satisfied but ecstatic that we did not have another losing season. I couldn't be happier with both Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak, although I'm not saying they're perfect.

Let's get some people healthy, have our best offseason ever, and come back next year snorting some flames! :texflag::fans::texflag:

opiedopie
01-01-2008, 08:15 AM
I,m not complaining! It was a exiting season. Should have won two or three more games(Atlanta,Cleveland and Tenn x 2). But I didn't get beat up by all the cowboy fans at work as much as I did in years past! Thats nice!

By the way did you know 90% of all inmates currently in jail are cowboy fans?

axman40
01-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Let's see we lead the league with players on IR. Second worst in turnover ratio -13 , thanks to Ravens for being -17!
If we can hold onto the ball next year we a real chance of a winning record. Having so many people on IR gives a better idea of which our back ups can step into the starting lineup and contribute.
Yes I am happy with 8-8 this year but want more W's next year!
:fans::texflag:

gary
01-01-2008, 10:11 AM
I,m not complaining! It was a exiting season. Should have won two or three more games(Atlanta,Cleveland and Tenn x 2). But I didn't get beat up by all the cowboy fans at work as much as I did in years past! Thats nice!

By the way did you know 90% of all inmates currently in jail are cowboy fans? That's what I'm saying if we had AJ all season we probably would have won three more games and have been 11-5.:texflag: :texflag: :texflag:

mike moffat
01-01-2008, 10:33 AM
As a fan, I'm just very thankful and happy that we have a team. And, Bud Adams has nothing to do with it.
I know a lot of Raider fans who would gladly trade records with us. Yes, I do brag when I'm around them.
I do see improvement with Kube at the helm. That's what we were looking for. I feel very optimistic about 2008.
You know, when we finally do win the Superbowl, we will all look back and say that we had earned it. We're still youngsters in this league. We will get there.

gary
01-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Agree I'm very happy about 08.

Tulip
01-01-2008, 10:43 AM
If I was satisfied with mediocre, I'd at least cut my ticket spending from $50 to $9 and see Dewey Cox again.

We had a couple of really bad games that we paid to watch this year (the first three quarters of the Titans game and all of the Dolphins game). And the vast majority of away games we watched on TV were positively painful.

I can't possibly be satisfied. I watch a competitive sport for entertainment, and I expect the team I invest my time and money in to be winners. The team shouldn't expect any less, and neither should the fans.

So - no.

gary
01-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Playoffs In 08 Baby.

eriadoc
01-01-2008, 02:16 PM
I am not happy with 8-8, but I'm not so disappointed as to be gloom and doom. The Atlanta loss sticks in my craw badly. There is/was no excuse to lose that game at all. The others ..... well, injuries hurt us, mostly. The offensive line did a better job, but the QBs made them look better. It's satisfying that most fans seem to be finally acknowledging the fact that we need to draft a LT and maybe a C. If we get our LT this year, then we'll have our bookends for years to come, and only good things can happen from there.

adam
01-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Taking everything into consideration, I would say that I am thrilled to be at 8-8. 17 or so people on IR is usually the nail in the coffin for most teams. However, a lot of subpar and mediocre stepped up and improved their game and helped the Texans come out as non-losers for the first time in franchise history. It's been an up and down season and there are a lot of holes to fill and questions to answer before next season. However, on the whole, it was a great year to be a Texans fan.

Dread-Head
01-01-2008, 03:12 PM
By the way did you know 90% of all inmates currently in jail are cowboy fans?

I'm not even going to touch this one...

GuerillaBlack
01-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Yeah, that Atlanta game was brutal. We should have won that one no doubt. We still wouldn't be in the playoffs, but a 9-7 record would have been awesome. 8-8 still isn't too bad.

gary
01-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Yeah, that Atlanta game was brutal. We should have won that one no doubt. We still wouldn't be in the playoffs, but a 9-7 record would have been awesome. 8-8 still isn't too bad. Agree.

Thorn
01-01-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm happy with 8-8 because we are no longer losers. Looking back at the season, in hindsight we could have gone 10-6 quite easily.

I think we are only a couple of players away from sneaking into the playoffs. However, getting past either (or both) Indy and the Pats to get to the Super Bowl, well, don't be holding your breath for that anytime soon.

But I'm good. Thinks are looking up. We are in the last phases of Kubes rebuilding/reworking and with a few more players and a (good) new OC we could really make some waves next year.

gary
01-02-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm looking forward to 10-6 next season.

santo
01-02-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm not satisfied.

Happy that they got to 8-8, but I was expecting them to go 11-5.

They lost to 3 teams I thought they should have beat:

Cleveland
Atalanta
Tennessee

disaacks3
01-02-2008, 04:37 PM
I am not happy with 8-8, but I'm not so disappointed as to be gloom and doom. The Atlanta loss sticks in my craw badly. There is/was no excuse to lose that game at all. The others ..... well, injuries hurt us, mostly. The offensive line did a better job, but the QBs made them look better. It's satisfying that most fans seem to be finally acknowledging the fact that we need to draft a LT and maybe a C. If we get our LT this year, then we'll have our bookends for years to come, and only good things can happen from there. Add another CB & FS and you've summed up my feelings pretty well. Given the injuries (and the lineup changes that result from it), 8-8 is pretty good...considering our lack of depth to begin with.

01-02-2008, 04:40 PM
If I was satisfied with mediocre, I'd at least cut my ticket spending from $50 to $9 and see Dewey Cox again.

We had a couple of really bad games that we paid to watch this year (the first three quarters of the Titans game and all of the Dolphins game). And the vast majority of away games we watched on TV were positively painful.

I can't possibly be satisfied. I watch a competitive sport for entertainment, and I expect the team I invest my time and money in to be winners. The team shouldn't expect any less, and neither should the fans.

So - no.

i have the same mentality, but you gotta take progress where you can get it. our old regime took away 5 years of my life away essentially... i think this one is going in the right direction. it takes time, man. next season, however, my expectations will be just as high as yours, and that's playoffs.

gary
01-02-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm not satisfied.

Cleveland
Atalanta
Tennessee We should definetly should have won these three games and been 11-5 and in the playoffs.

Double Barrel
01-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Satisfied is eating a Snickers bar.

While my optimism for the future has been restored, 8-8 means we are a mediocre team. And mediocrity is not something that is all that satisfying to me.

Until we're winners, no I am not satisfied.

Is it a step in the right direction? Of course.

Here's to a better 2008 season.

My thoughts exactly.

Like I said STAY HEALTHY.

I think of it this way. Where we could have been if it weren't for all the injuries?

I think injuries have played a part, but more important, like axman40 mentioned, our turnovers are what kept us from obtaining a winning season.

The Texans gave away 150 points off of 38 turnovers this season. That is just unacceptable, and not very satisfying. They've got to minimize dumb mistakes, and most turnovers are just plain dumb mistakes.

Let's see we lead the league with players on IR. Second worst in turnover ratio -13 , thanks to Ravens for being -17!
If we can hold onto the ball next year we a real chance of a winning record. Having so many people on IR gives a better idea of which our back ups can step into the starting lineup and contribute.
Yes I am happy with 8-8 this year but want more W's next year!
:fans::texflag:

You stole my thunder, but thought your post was worth repeating.

I really think this could have been a winning season, if just by one game, if we had protected the ball better. We gave it up in too many compromising field positions, often asking our defense to protect short fields several times within games. The better defenses in the league often benefit from having offenses that can consistently sustain 7-10 minute drives, which allows the D to rest and be ready for the 4rth quarter.

Runner
01-02-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm not satisfied.

Cleveland
Atalanta
Tennessee

Tennessee maybe. Atlanta for sure.

I don't consider the Browns a "should have won". The Browns came out with an intensity that the Texans couldn't, or wouldn't, match. Both teams had the same amount to play for - the Texans should learn something from that game.

================================

On the flip side, it shouldn't have taken a record breaking day by Kris Brown to beat Miami. They "stole" a home field win against the worst team in the league on that one.

Speedy
01-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Satisfied? I would have to say no.

I'm pleased that they finally get to .500 and that's now behind us. I'm excited that the future looks brighter, but .500 should have happened 3 years ago. This team should've been in the playoffs through 6 seasons.

Not satisfied but considering the circumstances, I'll take it.

It's time in '09 (next year's playoffs will be in January 2009)

axman40
01-02-2008, 06:46 PM
In 2008 I resolve NOT to steal Double Barrel's thunder because it makes him grumpy!
:cowboy1:

powerfuldragon
01-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Are you all satisfied with an 8-8 season?it'll make our NFL Yearbook episode air in a more favorable time slot. that soothes the ego, no?

TerribleToro
01-02-2008, 08:08 PM
I wouldn't say I'm satisfied. As a sports fan you can't be "satisfied" with anything less than a championship really. I'd say I'm generally happy about the way most of it turned out. We could have made the playoffs in a weaker division or even if we had won a few of our close games. I'm happy to see improvement. But I don't think we are ever "satisfied" until you win it all.

DerekLee1
01-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Satisfaction is relative. Am I satisfied with improvement? Yes, absolutely. Am I satisfied with 8-8? Well, when your goal every year is the Super Bowl, then no.

That being said, we were 1-5 against our OWN DIVISION. We were 7-3 against the REST OF THE NFL!!! That's incredible. Kubiak needs to sit down with his coaching staff and spend the ENTIRE offseason figuring out how in the hell to beat each of the three teams in our own division. Study all of their games and devise a gameplan that can beat them. Anything less than 3-3 in our own division should be unacceptable. If we'd done that this year, we'd be in the playoffs right now.

mexican_texan
01-02-2008, 08:17 PM
We looked a lot worse than 8-8 some weeks. We looked like a 12 win team other weeks. At least we're not consistantly bad anymore.

gary
01-02-2008, 08:31 PM
We looked a lot worse than 8-8 some weeks. We looked like a 12 win team other weeks. At least we're not consistantly bad anymore. True.:texflag: :texflag: :texflag:

The Pencil Neck
01-02-2008, 08:33 PM
I wouldn't say I'm satisfied. As a sports fan you can't be "satisfied" with anything less than a championship really. I'd say I'm generally happy about the way most of it turned out. We could have made the playoffs in a weaker division or even if we had won a few of our close games. I'm happy to see improvement. But I don't think we are ever "satisfied" until you win it all.

This is what I totally and completely disagree with.

If you're a player on the team, then you shouldn't be satisfied with anything less than a championship.

If you're a fan, you should be satisfied if your team is generally playing well. If it's improving or making it into playoffs, then you should be happy. If your team is getting worse or habitually playing badly, then you should be unhappy. If your team is moving in the right direction, happiness. If your team is moving in the wrong direction, unhappiness. The only people who should really be unsatisfied are the fans of teams that were expected to do something and then didn't: Jets, Saints, Bears, Panthers, Ravens, Bengals.

But to think that you should only be happy and "satisfied" if your team wins the Super Bowl is ridiculous to me. All the fans of teams that make the playoffs should be unsatisfied? All the teams that made improvements and have bright futures should be unsatisfied?

That's just wrong.

ObsiWan
01-02-2008, 08:39 PM

nuff said.

Giant Tiger
01-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Well, I like the direction this team is going in, I'll take 8-8. Fewer turnovers next year will mean more wins. As far as being "satisfied" I'll cheer for the Texans whether they go 0-16 or 16-0:texflag:

Second Honeymoon
01-02-2008, 09:17 PM
We looked a lot worse than 8-8 some weeks. We looked like a 12 win team other weeks. At least we're not consistantly bad anymore.

and that is something to be truly thankful for. honestly, it was a much better product.

Mr. White
01-02-2008, 10:28 PM
I've been saying 8-8 since December of last year. Feel free to look me up if you don't buy it.

We were still mathematically in the playoff hunt in December this year. We were out by the second week in December, but nonetheless.......

We might be mediocre right now, but that beats the hell out of what we've been any other year. I'm happy.

Spike
01-02-2008, 10:46 PM
I am a little surprised to see so many people who aren't satisfied with this season as a whole. When I think about where we were last time this year, I can't help to be satisfied with 8-8 for a number of reasons:

(1) Fixed the Books - I can't remember the exact number, but the front office was able to field the best team in the organization's history, while taking a significant hit in dead money to fix a variety of mistakes that were made in the past. There was no spreading things out...the most significant hit took place this year.
(2) Fixed the QB Situation - There will be a lot of us who continue to argue about this well into the Summer, but in my estimation, we have resolved the QB issue one way or the other. There is no doubt about it, a huge mistake was made signing DC to a three year deal - but at least the organization stood up to the plate, admitted that a mistake was made and take an aggressive move to fix the situation - despite public scrutiny. I think this move made an impact well beyond the win/loss column and am convinced that allowing that situation to last even one more season would have set this organization back another 5 years.
(3) Revisit Mario - The play of one individual shouldn't have such an impact on an entire organization, but whether we liked it or not, Mario Williams and his top overall pick became the face of the organization for a year and a half. For all the talking heads on the national scene, this story line became the easy 30 second peice on our team and an easy cheap shot for not taking Bush. For local fans, the frustration of not taking the hometown hero gave more fire power to blast the home team. Mario's play did more than make him one of the top DEs in the league, it took some unwarranted heat of a player and a team and gained a little respect for a front office that made the right choice. Combine that with a really bad season by both Bush and VY (I am still a fan when they are not playing the Texans, but his team made the playoffs DESPITE him this year) and it gives us fans a reason to think that the new group in charge may know what they are doing.
(4) Injuries, injuries, injuries... - It is completely unfair to evaluate the performance of this team without taking into consideration the losses on the field. Even a team with great depth can't overcome the injuries we had this season. I know, all teams have injuries, but please tell me another team in recent memory that lost the number of starters we lost for a material part of this season: starting QB, starting RB, starting center, starting guard, starting WR (and best offensive player), starting CB (and arguably best defensive player), and starting S (and his backup). This list doesn't even take consideration other key contributors that were lost and had to be replaced.
(5) Learning how to win - Coming off the second loss to Tenn. and the loss of some more key players, it was hard to see this team winning another game all year. I remember hearing an interview when Kubiak said that his goal was still to fight for a winning season and all I could do was grin and shake my head. The fact is, this team could have packed it in after that game. Winning three of the last four showed a lot about the players assembled on this team and the coaches.
(6) Team Core - I read a really interesting post back in August, describing how every great team has a solid core of players that an organization has maintain and work to surround with role players every year. In part because this is such a young franchise, this is the first year that I really started to feel comfortable about the core of this team - Johnson, Daniels and Walters, on offense with Mario, Ryans, Dunta on defense. We absolutely need more, but I think there are a handful of guys that be named with this group with a solid showing next year - Schaub, Winston, Davis, Amobi, Demps, to name a few.

I would love to be a Pats or Colts fan right now and expect to go the the SB every year, but I am not going to be disappointed with this season because we aren't there yet. We shouldn't forget, a lot of the fun is in getting there. We have had back to back seasons where the team has improved and for the first time in a long time, it finally feels like we are going in the right direction. I'll take it...

Texanballer
01-02-2008, 10:53 PM
i am satisfied, but this is only a starting point. From now on i say playoffs or bust

ATRAIN
01-03-2008, 11:40 AM
For this year yes I am satisfied, next year we need to make playoffs!! We need Mario to punish Payton and Vince next year!!

PHAROAH
01-03-2008, 11:55 AM
I am they really made progress but we have to get a running back early in this years draft.

badboy
01-03-2008, 03:26 PM
The new front office basically cleaned house and hired an NFL office guy that is a cap guru. Guys like AJ and Dunte have said in their early years not every player seemed commited to winning. I think those are now gone. We actually have $ under the cap and decent back ups with realistic salaries and some of them will push the starters. There have been some unwise moves, but some pretty good ones like Demps and Bennett. Mario looks good and I just want to suggest Ahman Green may do better in second year as did Williams. Guess what? Green was not the only guy to miss games due to injury.

Easily for three years I was just glad to have a Houston NFL team. I kept remembering the ups and downs of the Oilers and no matter how bad the losing seasons were, Luv Ya Blue and then Run & Shoot brought some good times. It took me five years to end a relationship once. I'll give kudos to McNair. I just hope to have same luck finding a new relationship as did he.

Keep in mind over 1/2 of these 32 teams were 500 or below.