PDA

View Full Version : Z-Report has Texans Season Report Card (Mario A-)

SuperTexan
12-30-2007, 07:42 PM
I think he gave the Qbs a grade that is too high and I'm not sure I agree with his assessment of Ephraim Salaam either. Other than that, I agree with most of his grades.

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2007/12/post_37.html#comments

beerlover
12-30-2007, 08:17 PM
he left off coaching - A-. as a group they did the best job of the lot. I feel very confident going forward, given the injurys experienced, some for the entire season, they kept focused & managed to reach 8-8. hopefully the loss of Sherman will not negatively impact the process of improving all facets of the team & their search for his replacement comes from within.

Maddict5
12-30-2007, 08:24 PM
c+? dunta had an issue with 1 pass.. what is he on about?

winston doesnt deserve an A, anderson doesnt deserve a B

Hagar
12-30-2007, 08:35 PM
Overall, I agree with Lance's assessment. There's a few thing's I'd change but not too much.

I'd also give an A to the GM Richard Smith who has done a bang up job filling in our injuries this season with some street free agents. Good job! :thumbup

texanmojo
12-30-2007, 09:13 PM
I'd also give an A to the GM Richard Smith who has done a bang up job filling in our injuries this season with some street free agents. Good job! :thumbup

That's 2 years in a row where Rick Smith did a good job at GM. Its amazing what he has been able to do to sustain an injury plagued team. We were injury plagued last year too...and still ended up with a semi-respectable 6-10 record (probably would have been better if we did not have Carr last year).

SuperTexan
12-30-2007, 09:43 PM
I don't know about 2 years in a row. He wasn't on board for the draft two years ago.

Hagar
12-30-2007, 10:39 PM
I don't know about 2 years in a row. He wasn't on board for the draft two years ago. Your correct about not being there for the 2006 draft, but Charlie quit right after the draft and Smith got us through the 2006 season which also had a bunch of injuries with street agents like Vonta Leech and Anthony Maddox.

beerlover
12-30-2007, 10:45 PM
please use Rick & not Richard when commenting on our young, stud GM, not to be confused with the other Smith (DC) :cool:

Thorn
12-30-2007, 10:50 PM
Iíll issue a grade after Iíve seen the current regime another year or two. For now, they seem to be doing OK. Letís see what happens this off season into next year.

Was that a cop out or what? LOL

The Pencil Neck
12-31-2007, 12:35 AM
Iíll issue a grade after Iíve seen the current regime another year or two. For now, they seem to be doing OK. Letís see what happens this off season into next year.

Was that a cop out or what? LOL

You want some syrup with those waffles?

:BananaWav

Thorn
12-31-2007, 12:40 AM
^

http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/images/graemlins/Guffaw.gif

SuperTexan
12-31-2007, 10:41 AM
I think it is too early to really give Rick Smith a strong grade just yet, but he sure seems like a huge upgrade over the numskull there before him.

YoungTexanFan
12-31-2007, 12:12 PM
c+? dunta had an issue with 1 pass.. what is he on about?

winston doesnt deserve an A, anderson doesnt deserve a B

My thinking is opposite of yours I guess. I don't think Daunta, when healthy, is anything more than a C+ CB, especially when you look at passes that are caught against him compared to break ups. I don't expect that to improve at all next year if he is able to come back healthy (I hope he is able to though).

Winston was our best O-linemen. He should be given a chance at LT, but he is clearly a starter. It took him a year, but he is going to be a main stay for us. He was a top rated OT from a premier college, and while that doesn't always mean success, it gives him a better chance.

Anderson probably doesn't deserve a straight up B, probably more of a C+.

Maddict5
12-31-2007, 09:58 PM
My thinking is opposite of yours I guess. I don't think Daunta, when healthy, is anything more than a C+ CB, especially when you look at passes that are caught against him compared to break ups. I don't expect that to improve at all next year if he is able to come back healthy (I hope he is able to though).

Winston was our best O-linemen. He should be given a chance at LT, but he is clearly a starter. It took him a year, but he is going to be a main stay for us. He was a top rated OT from a premier college, and while that doesn't always mean success, it gives him a better chance.

Anderson probably doesn't deserve a straight up B, probably more of a C+.

like when? i cant remember hardly any big passes (or little ones) v dunta bar that roydell williams one.. ive had issues with some of dunta's play last season etc but not this one

and winston flat out sucked some games (cleveland comes to mind, 2nd ten game aswell).. hes a decent rt- thats it imo

SuperTexan
01-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Eric Winston had a terrific season. When the Texans ran it well it was usually to his side and he gave up very few sacks or even pressure this year. What games were you watching?

Maddict5
01-03-2008, 08:14 AM
like i said: cleveland especially and one of the ten games come to mind

yes he played pretty well but lets not fool ourselves into thinking he was dominant or anything

eriadoc
01-03-2008, 08:59 AM
Anyone that thinks Dunta didn't deserve at least a B this season wasn't watching the bulk of his play very well. The guy was flat out one of the best corners in the league outside of the "shut down" category, of which there might be only a few. And even they get burned.

nunusguy
01-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Anyone that thinks Dunta didn't deserve at least a B this season wasn't watching the bulk of his play very well. The guy was flat out one of the best corners in the league outside of the "shut down" category, of which there might be only a few. And even they get burned.
Atleast a B, and actually if I was handing out grades I'd give him a A- like
LZ did Mario & Eric W.
The only thing I could figure was that LZ was, unfairly I think, trying to discount D-Robs grade for his seasons premature ending ? In other words
his total contribution to the team was less than others who played the whole year ?

The Pencil Neck
01-03-2008, 10:42 AM

Just look at our defensive performance before and after Dunta's injury.

In the first 8 games, we gave up 209 passing yards per game. In the last 8 games, we gave up 250 passing yards per game.

(someone might want to doublecheck my math on that.)

Second Honeymoon
01-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Atleast a B, and actually if I was handing out grades I'd give him a A- like
LZ did Mario & Eric W.
The only thing I could figure was that LZ was, unfairly I think, trying to discount D-Robs grade for his seasons premature ending ? In other words
his total contribution to the team was less than others who played the whole year ?

if Dunta breaks up that pass against the Titans, we are in the playoffs. Maybe that was why he got a poor grade. Dunta was imho playing inspired ball before the injury but he did lose a game for us against the Titans and that loss kept us out of the playoffs. I would have given him a B with his main detractions being him burned against the Titans and him not finishing the year.

Specnatz
01-03-2008, 12:17 PM
if Dunta breaks up that pass against the Titans, we are in the playoffs. Maybe that was why he got a poor grade. Dunta was imho playing inspired ball before the injury but he did lose a game for us against the Titans and that loss kept us out of the playoffs. I would have given him a B with his main detractions being him burned against the Titans and him not finishing the year.

Wasn't that the play where he had good position and the pass was practically perfect and the WR made an incredible catch?

Second Honeymoon
01-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Wasn't that the play where he had good position and the pass was practically perfect and the WR made an incredible catch?

yes it was. he still got burned though. I am a huge Dunta guy and have been forever. Sometimes you can do everything right yet still get burned. My statement was that maybe Lance's less than generous grade for Dunta may have been partially based on that play and his injury (both which could not be blamed on his completely)

Spec, I love Dunta but his man caught that ball and if he makes a play on the ball, we win that game. Was he in position? Yes. Was it a great throw and catch? Yes. Could Dunta have made a better play on the ball? Yes, but he didn't and we lost. It happens to the best of them. I was only trying to figure out why Lance gave Dunta such a low grade because Dunta had been Pro Bowl-level almost all season till the injury.

Texan_Bill
01-03-2008, 04:12 PM
I love Dunta too...., but a 'lock-down' corner he is not (although our best corner).. He had one interception in each of the first two games. (KC & Car.), after that he did not have another the rest of his season (until he went down). He only defended 7 passes (including the two picks) all season (again that is in only 9 games).

Now playing the run, thats a whole other story. He probably is one of the best and more physical corners at playing the run.

C+? Maybe a little too low. However, B- probably more apropos..

HOU-TEX
01-03-2008, 04:30 PM
I love Dunta too...., but a 'lock-down' corner he is not (although our best corner).. He had one interception in each of the first two games. (KC & Car.), after that he did not have another the rest of his season (until he went down). He only defended 7 passes (including the two picks) all season (again that is in only 9 games).

Now playing the run, thats a whole other story. He probably is one of the best and more physical corners at playing the run.

C+? Maybe a little too low. However, B- probably more apropos..

The low statistics could also be indicative of offenses throwing away from him. I remember a game or two where he was basically invisible throughout the game due to Faggins' lack of any coverage whatsoever. I do understand he was burnt on a play or two, but heck, who hasn't been? I think he's an excellent CB.

I can agree with the B-, but willing to bump it up to a B+.:)

I

Texan_Bill
01-03-2008, 04:35 PM
The low statistics could also be indicative of offenses throwing away from him. I remember a game or two where he was basically invisible throughout the game due to Faggins' lack of any coverage whatsoever. I do understand he was burnt on a play or two, but heck, who hasn't been? I think he's an excellent CB.

I can agree with the B-, but willing to bump it up to a B+.:)

I

Absolutely. Again he is the best corner we have, so of course teams will go the other way. All I am saying is that Dunta gets burnt more than a pro-bowl caliber corner should. I am NOT saying that we need to get rid of him or saying that he sucks. I just dont think he is a top 5 corner in the league.

HOU-TEX
01-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Absolutely. Again he is the best corner we have, so of course teams will go the other way. All I am saying is that Dunta gets burnt more than a pro-bowl caliber corner should. I am NOT saying that we need to get rid of him or saying that he sucks. I just dont think he is a top 5 corner in the league.

I think we're on the same page. I think he would've been a lock for the Pro-Bowl this season if it weren't cut short due to injury.

I don't think he's top 5 either, but I'd say he's definitely in the top 15. Maybe even top 10.

Do you think he's burnt more than pro-bowlers Bailey and Hall? Heck they were burnt in every game I saw them play. Not to bash on Kevin Walter, but he took Champ to the woodshed on a couple plays. LOL:shades:

76Texan
01-03-2008, 05:10 PM
For a guy who plays as close to the receivers as Dunta, you gotta tip your hat to him.

His agressive plays and big hits also riled up the team (at least this year).

If not for some of the poor tackles he made, I think he deserves an A.
But as it was, probably a B, overall, MHO.

Specnatz
01-03-2008, 05:26 PM
yes it was. he still got burned though. I am a huge Dunta guy and have been forever. Sometimes you can do everything right yet still get burned. My statement was that maybe Lance's less than generous grade for Dunta may have been partially based on that play and his injury (both which could not be blamed on his completely)

Spec, I love Dunta but his man caught that ball and if he makes a play on the ball, we win that game. Was he in position? Yes. Was it a great throw and catch? Yes. Could Dunta have made a better play on the ball? Yes, but he didn't and we lost. It happens to the best of them. I was only trying to figure out why Lance gave Dunta such a low grade because Dunta had been Pro Bowl-level almost all season till the injury.

I am not discounting how you feel or anything, maybe we just have a different definition on getting burned. Symantics I know but I would have said he got beat versus burned.

Beat = D-Rob on that play
Burnt = Faggin versus Evans twice in 2006.

I do not think anyone will ever call Dunta a shut down corner, there is just not that many in the league anymore.

Maddict5
01-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Just look at our defensive performance before and after Dunta's injury.

In the first 8 games, we gave up 209 passing yards per game. In the last 8 games, we gave up 250 passing yards per game.

(someone might want to doublecheck my math on that.)

thats because the legend that is petey faggins got benched for some reason:gun: