PDA

View Full Version : Overall thrown out of Bull Pen

Overalls
12-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Yep I got thrown out of the Bull Pen today. First some guy at the gate had to check with his supervisor over my hat then some Part time employee found it necessary to escourt me out of the Bull Pen for standing. Yep I got thrown out of my seat for exercising my Bull Pen right and standing. I hate those ticket broker seats behind mine. I try to be a good fan and stand for the whole game in the Bull Pen and some yellow jacket that doesn't know the Bull Pen rules tells me to sit down or I will be thrown out of the stadium. Now mind you half the bull Pen stands for the whole game but some little dweeb behind me wanted to pretend he was at home on his couch. So from about half way through the 2nd quarter till the end of the game I stood up top at the rail.

:fans:

Silver Oak
12-30-2007, 07:43 PM
sorry to hear that Overalls.

Did you say anything to the guy in the seat behind you?

aj.
12-30-2007, 07:47 PM
Before the game I was standing at the rail above 116 just hanging out and I was asked a question from a Reliant Stadium 'employee' that kind of took me by surprise. He asked me if the Texans were in the red jerseys. I kind of did a double take and then realized the guy was serious. That's what you're dealing with in terms of stadium help.

Overalls
12-30-2007, 07:51 PM
sorry to hear that Overalls.

Did you say anything to the guy in the seat behind you?

I was pretty mad but the guy in the yellow jacket took the brunt of my verbage.

kiwitexansfan
12-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Thats pretty sad to hear, always seems to be teams hardcore fans that get it in the ear, when they are the ones that the team should be grateful too.

Silver Oak
12-30-2007, 08:04 PM
I'm not in the Bull Pen, but I feel your pain.

Maybe a letter penned on here, and signed by season ticket holders that visit here would change someones mind?

I know I would digitally sign it.

Hagar
12-30-2007, 08:45 PM
Obnoxious behavior will not be tolerated anywhere in Reliant Stadium. However, fans within the Bull Pen are encouraged to stand throughout the game, sing, cheer and otherwise support the team in an enthusiastic manner and therefore this section may not be a good fit for children or families.
Not sure what I'd do but I think I'd do more then chew out the yellow jacket.

Houston Texans Bull Pen (http://www.houstontexans.com/community/BullPen.asp)

OzzO
12-30-2007, 08:53 PM
Pfft, name and number of said yellow jacket. Send a letter to the Texans stating the situation, maybe you can work a sieat in McNair's area for a game?

Other BPr's shoulda made the golf clappers, Todd and Margaret, remaining game experience interesting for your enforced seat relocation.

GlassHalfFull
12-30-2007, 08:53 PM
Not sure what I'd do but I think I'd do more then chew out the yellow jacket.

Houston Texans Bull Pen (http://www.houstontexans.com/community/BullPen.asp)

Hagar's quote is directly from the Texan's website, just in case soneone did not realize. Overalls needs to call and complain to the Texan's front office.

Sorry to hear this happened to you, Overalls. I hope it didn't dampen your enjoyment of the game too much.

Tedc
12-30-2007, 08:59 PM
Overalls needs to call and complain to the Texan's front office.

Sorry to hear this happened to you, Overalls. I hope it didn't dampen your enjoyment of the game too much.

Oh, I somehow think they will hear of it loud and clear....:sos:

It just seems weird that after 6 seasons and many suggestions, we still can't seem to get this problem solved.

I have never seen Tim that mad.

StarStruck
12-30-2007, 09:05 PM
I hate you had to endure the rath of the all mighty. I don't understand their attitude. If I recall correctly the selling point for the Bull Pen was to be a place for the most spirited of fans. At the time I was making my selection I mentally compared the Browns Dog Pound or Black Hole, and thought then that was a great idea and sounded like a fun place to be. My reasons for not choosing the Bull Pen was age and thinking what's fun for the next few years could be a bit much around year 20.

I know from experience that some of the staff can be rather harsh, especially directing traffic in the Blue Lot. Too many times I was in the far left lane, the attendant would rudely demand I turn right which usually led to the row next to the 610 access road. Finally, for my peace of mind and not being able to enjoy the first part of the game because of being PO about what happened in the parking lot, I traded off my blue for yellow and have been a happy camper ever since.

texanmojo
12-30-2007, 09:57 PM
Don't waste your time with the front staff. Send your complaint to Jamie Rootes directly...

Specnatz
12-30-2007, 11:19 PM
Yep I got thrown out of the Bull Pen today. First some guy at the gate had to check with his supervisor over my hat then some Part time employee found it necessary to escourt me out of the Bull Pen for standing. Yep I got thrown out of my seat for exercising my Bull Pen right and standing. I hate those ticket broker seats behind mine. I try to be a good fan and stand for the whole game in the Bull Pen and some yellow jacket that doesn't know the Bull Pen rules tells me to sit down or I will be thrown out of the stadium. Now mind you half the bull Pen stands for the whole game but some little dweeb behind me wanted to pretend he was at home on his couch. So from about half way through the 2nd quarter till the end of the game I stood up top at the rail.

I was not at the game, in fact I was 180 miles away but I am sure I will here it all the way to Austin.

GIVE THEM HELL and THEN SOME!

Texan_Bill
12-31-2007, 09:06 AM
Overalls, a something tells me that the FO will hear about this in a BIG way!

SheTexan
12-31-2007, 09:39 AM
Overalls, a something tells me that the FO will hear about this in a BIG way!

As they should!! I hold a grudge, and I'm still mad as hell the yellow shirt made me move so Titan fans could go stand by the rail, and this was LAST year!! The FO needs to EDUCATE (if that's possible) the ushers who monitor the Bullpen. Of course, they could do what we have been trying to get them to do for six years now, and that is get corp owned seats OUT of there. Not gonna happen though! About 1/3 of the Bullpen is made up of diehard TEXAN fans, the rest are seat dwellers, those who come to the game to SIT, EAT, and make out with their s/o. I was standing by the rail Sunday, due to the heat, and I actually saw a guy run his hand down the back of his girlfriends pants. Don't bother to comment guys:bat: it was sickening. Save it for the backseat or the hummer room, I don't care. BUT, if your STANDING in the Bullpen, use those hands to clap and make noise, not fondle your honey!!

My suggestion is to start NOW, and continue to blast the FO with complaints throughout the off season. Next summer they will start hiring again, and a fresh batch of cowboy/titan fans, who can't find work elsewhere, will be roaming the stadium and lots. KEEP reminding the FO that this problem needs to be fixed!!

TEXANS84
12-31-2007, 09:52 AM
Wow, that's ridiculous. Send a email asap, make it attention to John Schreiver/VP ticket operations.

BigWig
12-31-2007, 10:09 AM
I too am surprised, especailly as tall as you are and the fact you are always there and have been for 6 seasons. I used to have Bullpen seats and only once in awhile did they ask me and those were visitors.
Maybe they should hang signs at the entrance of the section, then also add a disclaimer on the ticket stub so all will know the rules beforehand. Its either that or do not have any yellow coat work those aisles w/o knowing about the standing rule.
So now the burning question, " Was it a jags fan behind you?"

gwallaia
12-31-2007, 10:09 AM
I was standing by the rail Sunday, due to the heat,

It was still hot in sunny side yesterday?

NitroGSXR
12-31-2007, 10:21 AM
I'm definitely not surprised. I don't know who to root for though? Our resident who posts more trolling on other sites or for the yellow jackets? Heh!

I worked several UT games this season with a temporary agency ushering. How could I pass up getting paid to watch the football game!?!? Ugh. I won't do it again next season. I'm too much of a fan so they actively try to get people who AREN'T football fans to usher these games so they can do a more stringent job. In my section? I was running in between everything trying to high five the whole section everytime we got a touchdown. *you Austin folk know how loud I can be*

They bussed people in from Houston and San Antonio to usher. This may be one thing that the Texans are doing which shows how the ushers don't know who is who. A lot of their employees were people that... *ahem*... I wouldn't be caught seen hanging around. I'm sure a lot are good people but there were a ton of undesirables working.... why do I say this? Power trip. These undesirables are now in charge and they levy that upon you fans.

That's the best I can think of as to why Overalls got the boot.

Is this the way the Texans get their employees? A temporary agency? I will put money on it. I know I've searched the Chronicle and other publications in past years looking for a brain dead job (ushering) that I can just work for on Sundays and just have fun at the games! I now think that the reason why I couldn't find one is because they go to the temp agencies for this.

Sorry Overalls. Just rise up a stink and I'm sure the Texans will go the extra mile and help you out. I know they've done the same for me.

Texans_Chick
12-31-2007, 10:34 AM

Yo, Overalls. Would you mind if I wrote about this for the blog?

Personally, I think the policy should be everywhere in the stadium that if you come to a game, you can stand up. That if you want to sit, you should stay the * home.

:texflag:

Texan_Bill
12-31-2007, 10:36 AM

Personally, I think the policy should be everywhere in the stadium that if you come to a game, you can stand up. That if you want to sit, you should stay the * home.

That would be awesome if you did!!!

SheTexan
12-31-2007, 10:40 AM
PERFECT Steph!! That would definitely help us all!! They want us to set traditions, but do nothing to help us out.

Hagar
12-31-2007, 10:51 AM
Yeah Steph!!

:doot:

Overalls
12-31-2007, 01:00 PM

Go for it Steph. I would be grateful.

As most of you know, I am a big guy so if you are sitting down behind me, I will block your view. In the past if someone said something I would generaly budge and sit down, but the thing is I injured my knee at the Broncos game when I kneeled down to have my picture taken with a little boy. It would have killed my knee to sit down in those seats, even if I wanted to.

Joe Texan
12-31-2007, 01:22 PM
Well Overalls all I can say is your a nicer guy than me. I bought my ticket with the understanding that it is OK to stand in the Bull Pen so we made a pact amongst us that we do not sit down for the game. One of the Bull Pen Committee traditions if I am not mistaken. If our players have to stand for the game then we will too. Steph needs to write about it and I will contact John McLain. They need to read the rules they set and I fully beleive that you deserve some compensation for your inconvenuience(sp)
I am not sure where the Texans and their employees get thier info but the Denver game I was approached by someone who threatened me for making racial slurs to the parking attendants. I was told "I am just telling you this so when it happens again and we remove your season tickets and parking pass then you will know why it happened. I have never been anything but nice to every parking attendant I have ever talked to. Turns out it wasn't even me that they were reffering too but since I am Joe Texan he singled me out. I have the answers for this guy but I do not know who he was. Honestly I think the FO is fantastic, But the people under them probably fall into the catagory like any other company would.

Anyway Overalls this will get worked out I am sure.

TEXANRED
12-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Funny thing is I don't remember having these problems going to an Oiler game. I remember going to many games and people were rowdy, standing, screaming, and yelling. Now when I go I just get dirty looks cus I am waking there kid.

Admittedly though you kinda had to stand to see the field, especially if you had a seat that was obstructed by a pillar.

Its like this city forgot how to watch a football game. Quiet when the D is on the field and loud when the O is on the field, leaving games early and showing up to there seats late.

Or

All the fans who know how to act at a game are to trashed by kickoff and never make it into the stadium.

Double Barrel
12-31-2007, 01:29 PM
Corporate sponsors + PSLs + marketing company with a football division = mixed signals to hardcore Texans fanatics

This is pretty lame on the Texans part, but I'm not surprised. As long as they get 6 seasons of sell outs for a crappy product, they could really care less about the little guy or individual fan.

Buffi2
12-31-2007, 02:18 PM
Go TC! You tell 'em.

The rest of us should send emails to anyone and everyone in the Texan staff.

I've already done so - we'll see if anything happens...sometimes miracles do.

StarStruck
12-31-2007, 02:54 PM
Houston Texans Bull Pen
The Houston Texans are excited about our "avid fan" section called the Bull Pen. The Bull Pen is located in the north end zone of Reliant Stadium where our most staunch supporters gather on game day to cheer on their favorite team - the Houston Texans! The fans in the Bull Pen interact directly with the action on the field. Bull Pen members have helped create and implement fan traditions, songs, chants and other elements of the game day experience that will foster the best atmosphere and the most daunting home field advantage within the National Football League. The Bull Pen is also the home of the Texans Bull Pen Pep Band, adding to the atmosphere, excitement and energy.

Obnoxious behavior will not be tolerated anywhere in Reliant Stadium. However, fans within the Bull Pen are encouraged to stand throughout the game, sing, cheer and otherwise support the team in an enthusiastic manner and therefore this section may not be a good fit for children or families.

http://www.houstontexans.com/community/BullPen.asp

Seems there have been a few changes in the policy.

TexansFight
12-31-2007, 04:09 PM
Funny thing is I don't remember having these problems going to an Oiler game. I remember going to many games and people were rowdy, standing, screaming, and yelling. Now when I go I just get dirty looks cus I am waking there kid.

Admittedly though you kinda had to stand to see the field, especially if you had a seat that was obstructed by a pillar.

Its like this city forgot how to watch a football game. Quiet when the D is on the field and loud when the O is on the field, leaving games early and showing up to there seats late.

Or

All the fans who know how to act at a game are to trashed by kickoff and never make it into the stadium.

I agree with you completely Texanred. I was fortunate that my folks had season tickets while growing up during the Glanville/Run & Shoot years. I loved the atmosphere at the Dome. I have field box tickets for the Texans and my family had field box tickets for the Oilers. The fans around us for Oilers games were hardcore fans and were there every game. The Dome used to be called the House of Pain because it was so intimidating.

I think Houston fans are loyal fans. Despite being awful for all of our existence, I am still impressed that we still sell out and have a wait list. I know there are some empty seats but the stadium can still get loud. At least in my row in Section 105, it seems that there are different people sitting next to us every game and not the regular "blue collar" fan at Oilers games.

There are too many kids at Texans games for my taste. Back in the Dome there was a guy who used to blast an airhorn while we were on D. It was awesome and I don't think he would get away with it now.

This might sound weird too, but it kind of bugs me how much effort they make with the PA and video announcements to be courteous fans or get kicked out. I am not saying an opposing fan should fear for their safety if they wear their jersey but they should not be given a red carpet either. Being subject to some good natured ribbing, et al. should be par for the course. Tailgating is all good and we all can sing Kumbaya and drink beer together.

bpe3
12-31-2007, 06:14 PM
It would have been well worth the $7 investment to buy a nice cold beer and "accidentally" spill every ounce on the guy behind you.

bpe3

drewmar74
12-31-2007, 06:33 PM

Right on!

brakos82
12-31-2007, 06:37 PM

Man Law!

Drew_Smoke
12-31-2007, 06:40 PM
I'd send it to McClain and Justice both. If its gonna be written about, you need to have people see it.

Texans_Chick
12-31-2007, 10:07 PM
Happy Upcoming New Year.

Here's a present:

FanHouse: Texans Season Ticket Holder Kicked Out of Seat for Standing Up? (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/12/31/texans-season-ticket-holder-kicked-out-of-seat-for-standing-up/)

Please put thoughtful comments over there if you care for people to read them, and feel free to email this story to those who you think should know about it by clicking on the "email this" link at the bottom.

The Texans do respond to fan feedback. Sometimes overly so. So let em know what you think.

Texans_Chick
01-01-2008, 11:16 AM
Great comments all.

FanHouse made this a front paged story so it is on the main page of their site.

Keep bringing the comments over there and get yerself heard.:texflag:

ubecool454
01-01-2008, 05:04 PM
I BETTER NOT. I thought everyone in the bull pen was tall but now I find out you guys were standing up all this time. cool

Tedc
01-01-2008, 05:04 PM
I was pretty angry yesterday Sunday when I got home. I e-mail John Schreiver and Missy Rentz as well as John Mclane. I asked several people to send in their thoughts as well.

I know the Texans will offer an apology but I want to know that something is actually being done to make sure this never happens again.

ubecool454
01-01-2008, 06:55 PM

Overall you got thrown out? Man thats a bummer...can i buy your psls? Only kidding overalls, but be careful not to lose your psls behind some silly fan that don't know how they do things over there in the bullpen.

sakebomb
01-01-2008, 08:01 PM
That sucks Overall's. I hope all of our comments reach the Texans FO and something gets done. They have eight months to figure it out.

Texans_Chick
01-01-2008, 09:01 PM
I was pretty angry yesterday Sunday when I got home. I e-mail John Schreiver and Missy Rentz as well as John Mclane. I asked several people to send in their thoughts as well.

I know the Texans will offer an apology but I want to know that something is actually being done to make sure this never happens again.

Here here.

Last Sunday's game was amazing in that it stayed pretty crowded until the very end. Like people didn't want the season to end.

Overalls
01-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Here is the e-mail I just sent. It is kinda self promoting on my part but what can I say.

I have a question. Has the Bull Pen been turned into a place where enthusiasm is discouraged. I am an original PSL holder. My name is on the glass wall outside the stadium. I was there at Jillians when Toro road the helicopter into the parking lot to be unveiled. I have even become a bit of an icon to the fans that I meet. Over the years I have probable been asked a 1000 times for my picture. I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't get vulgar. In fact I am a Baptist deacon. I have never sold or given my tickets to a fan of another team. I just want an opportunity to root for the Texans.
This past Sunday I was thrown out of the Bull Pen for standing. Not for anything else, just standing. The people in the ticket broker seats behind me wanted to pretend they were watching the game on their couch at home and didn't want to stand. It was my impression that standing was not only allowed but encouraged in the Bull Pen. I thought that the Texans wanted us to be the "home field advantage". I guess that isn't true. The whole event has both saddened me and tainted the Texans experience for me. I never expected to have some one in a yellow jacket come up to me in the Bull Pen and tell me to sit down or he would have me escorted out of the stadium. I am just wondering. It won't be long when my notice to renew my tickets comes in the mail and I have questions that need to be answered.

Overalls

TxDavid
01-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Overalls -

I'm absolutely speechless. I'm shocked & appalled. I just don't know what else to say here......

:wild: :bat:

ubecool454
01-02-2008, 09:39 AM

Or

good point you make. I think most of the fans that come to the game did forget or never knew how to be a real fan. If the kid is sleeping at the games maybe they need to leave the kids at home. Just keep on supporting this team and the fans that don't know how to be fans can learn from you and the real fans in da house. I hate to say it but overall, we probably have some of the worst fans in the league when it comes to support but, I think as we pile up the wins it will change...hopeully. I am glad I am in the section that I am in because I never hear anyone whining about people standing up and cheering..thank god!

aj.
01-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Hypothetical question (but somewhat serious):

What if a person standing in Row R is 6'5" 275 lbs and wearing a foot tall hat with horns, and a person in Row S immediately behind said large person is 5'6" and standing like all great fans do, but still can't see over said large person even with the help of one row of elevation? Is it the person in Row S that should be expected to move to a different seat?

I'm somewhat serious about this question because my wife is short and there have been times when she's standing and couldn't see over the guy in front of her and she was forced to look 'in-between' the people in front of us or up at the big screen. Luckily there's different people in those seats almost every week so it's not a very frequent occurrence.

Maybe the solution is to put all the short people in the front.

BullPenPhotos
01-02-2008, 02:39 PM

That works for me... :fans:

Blazing Arrow
01-02-2008, 02:56 PM
Did you actually get tossed from the game or just that section?

TEXANS84
01-02-2008, 04:29 PM

I am curious to that one as well. Did you just leave the section and continue watching the game, or did they escort you out of the stadium?

disaacks3
01-02-2008, 04:41 PM

I am curious to that one as well. Did you just leave the section and continue watching the game, or did they escort you out of the stadium?

So from about half way through the 2nd quarter till the end of the game I stood up top at the rail.
:fans: He had to spend 1/2 the game at the top rail...basically what Ted had told me right after the game.

There's no other description for this but SAD.

Andrew6
01-02-2008, 04:45 PM
This is the email I sent to the VP of ticket sales. Parking attendants trying to get more money out of people parking who've already paid for parking.

While attending the game on Sunday December 30th, we had planned to park in the Blue lot to be closer to our friends in the Platinum lot. My wife and I had noticed that there was a lot of extra parking in the back that was "zoned off" by cones. When I asked the parking attendant(s) if we would be able to park in this area they both said, "yeah no problem, all you have to do is drop a little something on the ground for me." I guess I'm a bit naive and didn't understand what they were implying. They noticed the puzzled look on my face and my wife's and said, "you know money." At first this shocked me and then angered me. We pay for lower-level season tickets and psls, parking, almost all extra-curricular activities, and merchandise that the Texans have. On average we have probably spent between three to four thousand dollars a year on the Texans. When asked to pay (extra) for someone to do their job I was highly disappointed and hope that no other fan will have to go through this.

Overalls
01-02-2008, 06:59 PM
A response from Fanfeedback to my e-mail

In a message dated 1/2/2008 5:27:59 P.M. Central Standard Time, fanfeedback@houstontexans.com writes:
Overalls,

We are looking into this but at this time we do not have a record regarding anyone in the Bull Pen being escorted out. We do not relocate or escort fans outside of the Stadium for standing in front of their seats. Do you have any additional information regarding the usher or the situation? We appreciate your feedback and we apologize for your experience at Sunday’s game.

GO TEXANS!

My response back

I was not escorted out of the stadium. He threatened to do so if I did not sit down. I chose to leave my seat and watch the game standing at the rail at the top of the Bull Pen. The Texans are too important to me to lose my seats because some one wasn't trained well enough in the rules of the Bull Pen. Yes I have his last name. I argued the point with him but there was already a Police officer coming my way to help him out. He continued to stand next to the officer at the top of the Bull Pen to make sure I did not sneak back into "my" seat. I am not looking to get him in trouble. I just want my game day experience back. I want to believe that the Texans care about those of us in the Bull Pen who have supported OUR team in times of ridicule. We want to feel that Y'all want us there and how can we feel that way when some ticket broker can get us thrown out of our seats for doing what Y'all claim you want us to do. I am not happy and MANY of my fellow fans are not either. This has already hit the message boards and the blogs and while you don't know me, they do. They know my character and love for the Texans. We want something done.

Buffi2
01-02-2008, 07:29 PM
My response was, basically, the same as Overalls.

Thank you for your email and support of the Houston Texans! We are currently looking into this and at this time we do not have a record of anyone in the Bull Pen being escorted out. We do not relocate or escort fans outside of the Stadium for standing in front of their seats and we will continue to investigate this matter. Thank you again for your feedback.

I shall respond to this - have no fear.:bat:

Tedc
01-02-2008, 07:29 PM
I have not recieved a response as of yet. I am sure they have the veiw that it doesn't involve me but that is totally wrong.

We all put a lot of time and effort into making the Bull Pen what it is today. If the Texans put as much into it, we would have no problems at all.

Overalls
01-02-2008, 07:49 PM
I have not recieved a response as of yet. I am sure they have the veiw that it doesn't involve me but that is totally wrong.

We all put a lot of time and effort into making the Bull Pen what it is today. If the Texans put as much into it, we would have no problems at all.

I agree Ted it involves all of us in the Bull Pen. It was me this time, but who could be next when the season starts again.

DerekLee1
01-02-2008, 07:56 PM
PERFECT Steph!! That would definitely help us all!! They want us to set traditions, but do nothing to help us out.

I've had my issues with complaining fair-weather fans in the Bull Pen as well. I think the idea of the Bull Pen was intriguing for the FO at first, but since Year One, they seem to be really trying to phase it out. The players don't recognize us (Carr even asked in the fifth year what the Bull Pen was), the FO doesn't recognize us, and other fans have no idea what the "Bull Pen" is. I don't get it. Isn't a rabid fan base what every organization wants?

Steph, if you need anything from me about my experiences, let me know.

DerekLee1
01-02-2008, 07:59 PM
Hypothetical question (but somewhat serious):

What if a person standing in Row R is 6'5" 275 lbs and wearing a foot tall hat with horns, and a person in Row S immediately behind said large person is 5'6" and standing like all great fans do, but still can't see over said large person even with the help of one row of elevation? Is it the person in Row S that should be expected to move to a different seat?

I'm somewhat serious about this question because my wife is short and there have been times when she's standing and couldn't see over the guy in front of her and she was forced to look 'in-between' the people in front of us or up at the big screen. Luckily there's different people in those seats almost every week so it's not a very frequent occurrence.

There's a Game Day Services staff that will reseat anyone with issues. We have a good friend that works for that staff, and what SHOULD have happened with Overalls is that the people BEHIND him should have been reseated to an area where they could enjoy the game from a sitting position. They reserve seats for just such issues (and others), and this was obviously a mistake on the yellow coats and NEVER should have happened.

Tedc
01-02-2008, 08:16 PM
The players don't recognize us (Carr even asked in the fifth year what the Bull Pen was)

Funny, we were wondering what David Carr was in year 5.

Texans_Chick
01-02-2008, 08:37 PM
I've had my issues with complaining fair-weather fans in the Bull Pen as well. I think the idea of the Bull Pen was intriguing for the FO at first, but since Year One, they seem to be really trying to phase it out. The players don't recognize us (Carr even asked in the fifth year what the Bull Pen was), the FO doesn't recognize us, and other fans have no idea what the "Bull Pen" is. I don't get it. Isn't a rabid fan base what every organization wants?

Steph, if you need anything from me about my experiences, let me know.

I think part of this is due to turnover. A lot of the admin staff with the Texans has changed over time and the new staff has its own idea on how to do things.

Some of the players recognize the Bull Pen, especially STs.

Texans_Chick
01-02-2008, 08:42 PM
A response from Fanfeedback to my e-mail

My response back

Overalls. I believe you need to tell them all the information in sequential order.

What was said and by whom. (what the people behind you said, how the usher got involved)
When it was said. (which quarter)
Who the usher was.
What the usher said and how he got the police involved.
Information about yourself.

They need this information to investigate things properly. And to make sure this doesn't happen again.

ChildressTitanMan
01-03-2008, 05:44 AM
You go to watch a game & your not ready for crap like this to thrown in your face.

Normal people don't go around looking for reasons to be hostile & Overalls chose to bite the bullet rather than risk going nuts & maybe getting banned from the stadium.

What do you do? It's a no win situation for the fan in this scenario. It sounds to me as though you Bullpen members have to really get organized & united on this problem until it goes away.

You have a full off season to do it, don't let the opportunity fizzle out on a message board which it will if one of you doesn't take the lead.

A 'save Overalls' campaign would be entertaining.

sakebomb
01-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Great idea CTM.

I wish we had a game next week so we could bring signs saying "FREE OVERALLS".

sakebomb
01-03-2008, 01:20 PM
or "IMPEACH the YELLOW COATS"

Yankee_In_TX
01-03-2008, 02:05 PM
The players don't recognize us (Carr even asked in the fifth year what the Bull Pen was),

I know at LEAST Dunta' and AJ do :)

Overalls
01-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Another E-mail by me

Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2008 7:50 PM
To: Fan Feedback-HOU
Subject: Word of Overalls is spreading

It is embarrassing that Titans fans are making fun of us.

http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?p=351954#post351954

Of course my friends have my back

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45694

Seems like a lot of people who have never met me aren't too happy either

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/12/31/texans-season-ticket-holder-kicked-out-of-seat-for-standing-up/

I hope something is done about this.

Overalls

Their response back

Overalls,

We are still looking into this and we will have more information at the beginning of next week. We are also looking at different changes for next season.

GO TEXANS!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What could the different changes be?

Texan_Bill
01-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Overalls,

We are still looking into this and we will have more information at the beginning of next week. We are also looking at different changes for next season.

GO TEXANS!

That doesnt sound all that positive...

The change should be that ALL seats in 116 & 117 going back 20 rows should be removed. They should label the floor with the seat # and thats where you stand...
Problem sol-ved.

Double Barrel
01-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Overalls,

GO TEXANS!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds potentially ominous. What could they change? Obviously eliminating PSL owned by brokers is out of the question. Will they implement new policies in the Bull Pen?

GlassHalfFull
01-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Sounds potentially ominous. What could they change? Obviously eliminating PSL owned by brokers is out of the question. Will they implement new policies in the Bull Pen?

Maybe they are planning on better training for the staff. Just living up to my name.

Double Barrel
01-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Maybe they are planning on better training for the staff. Just living up to my name.

Good point. Very optimistic of you, too. :)

Yankee_In_TX
01-04-2008, 02:40 PM
That DOES sound ominous...

Overalls
01-04-2008, 07:10 PM
I didn't like it when I read it either. I hate to think our FO would give in to the ticket brokers when all they would have to do is train their people in their own rules.

dtran04
01-04-2008, 07:39 PM
It'll be a sad day when Reliant looks like the Toyota Center. They had to give away tickets to get some rowdy fans in there.

Texans_Chick
01-04-2008, 07:49 PM
After I received the first message, I asked a follow up question:

Thanks for investigating this.

Do you have a policy of asking fans to sit down at games either in the Bull Pen or elsewhere in the stadium if they are standing up in front of their seats?

Their follow up:

We do not have a policy that directly pertains to standing but we are committed to creating a safe, comfortable and enjoyable experience for everyone. We support an environment where the game will not be disruptive by the interference of guest actions or any unauthorized persons on the playing field. This includes refraining from obscene, indecent or disrupted language and gestures, as well as inappropriate clothing or behavior. One fan does not have the right to affect the enjoyment of the game by other fans. If fans do complain regarding the person standing in front of them the usher may speak to the fan standing. We do not force the fan to sit nor do we escort the fan out for standing in front of his seat.

My follow up:

Thanks for being so responsive to my question.

Personally, I don't think that an usher should tell someone standing at a football game to sit down or in any way pressure him to sit down. In the past, it was my understanding that ushers had the discretion to find alternative seating for someone who might complain about not being able to see.

As I understand the event in question, the usher told the guy to sit down even though he was at his seat, and then threatened him with bringing the police over to escort him out of the stadium. I hope that you continue to investigate this situation. If we want it loud in our stadium when the Texans are on defense, we can't have fans feel pressured to behave like it is a tennis match. It's the person complaining about the standing fan who should have to move if he wants the sort of experience at a stadium equivalent to an unobstructive view from his couch at home.

Their follow up:

We are still looking into this and looking into changes for next season. The usher should not force anyone to sit down but in the case that other fans are complaining they will inform the fan standing as a courtesy. In the past we have relocated fans that prefer to sit when the fans in front of them are standing. We will have more information at the beginning of next week regarding this past Sunday’s situation. Thank you!

My follow up:

Thanks for your prompt response.

It's been my experience that generally, fans will tell the person in front of them to sit down, and when the person refuses, then they go to the usher to make it happen. I'm not sure how courteous it is to have an usher tell you to about the fans' complaint when you just heard from that fan.

If you are looking into changes for next season, please do not have any policy that encourages fans to sit down, no matter where they are in the stadium. Standing and cheering is what makes being at the stadium better than watching from your couch. I do think the better point of view is to relocate fans who have complaints.

So here is my recommendation to y'all.

1. Contact fanfeedback@houstontexans.com.

2. Be extremely polite. We are all on the same side with this--wanting to encourage a winning atmosphere. Texans are mannered people, and I've found you tend to be a better advocate for your position when you come from a place of rationality and civility.

3. Tell them that you understand they are looking at their policies for next year. Encourage them to have a policy of relocating people who want to be sitters. Encourage them not to make people sit down if they are standing in front of their own seat. It's good when ushers get people out of aisles, and I feel very fortunate to have a totally cool usher than runs our section.

4. Always try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but at the same time trying to make sure that your point of view is heard. It's hard to put together policies that make most people happy, or make policies that can't be misinterpreted by employees or fans. So, try providing them helpful feedback of your point of view. I've seen them do things that are very responsive to feedback they get--sometimes too responsive--but still, I appreciate them caring at all because often organizations don't try at all.

5. :texflag:

Texans_Chick
01-04-2008, 07:58 PM
It'll be a sad day when Reliant looks like the Toyota Center. They had to give away tickets to get some rowdy fans in there.

Toyota Centers ends have always been louder. The sad thing about the way that stadium is structured is that the club seats are on the sides, so there are corporate types who don't care to show up, or would prefer to be hanging out at the bar, something I can't quite understand.

Real people used to be able to afford the middle seats for Rockets games, but now it is mostly corporate folks.

It will be interesting to see what the new Texas Stadium is going to be like. When sideline field level tickets are going for $50,000 a pop PSL, you get a lot of corporations in those seats. When people are so wealthy that throwing down jack to get seats is like brushing your teeth, typically, they don't have the same dedication as someone who values their seats a lot because the money value of each game is a lot to them. And when corporations have seats, they don't usually have the same folks sitting their week after week. It's someone who didn't pay for the tickets, shows up late and leaves after they eat their nachos in the 3rd quarter.

That's why the endzones will always be rowdier than the middles at just about any stadium or arena. Because there are less corporate folks there, and more people who bought the closest to the field ticket they could get for the price they could afford. I will say that I saw the most standing ever in the middles during the Denver game.

Tedc
01-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Maybe it is the end of the Bull Pen as we know it. Funny how easily Bob gave up on his baby, but if I remember correctly, it will also be the first year when they are not guaranteed sellouts.

I guess it REALLY does come down to money. :wherewill

WesmanTexanfan
01-04-2008, 10:11 PM

WOW, sorry dude, thats my worst nightmare, houston fans are freakin lazy

WesmanTexanfan
01-04-2008, 10:14 PM

next time complain about everyone sitting down, try and get them kicked out for being pompus retards with no freakin sense of pride or tradition, ( or football for that matter)

Texans_Chick
01-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Maybe it is the end of the Bull Pen as we know it. Funny how easily Bob gave up on his baby, but if I remember correctly, it will also be the first year when they are not guaranteed sellouts.

I guess it REALLY does come down to money. :wherewill

Let's not assume too much.

Just because they are looking at revising policies doesn't necessarily mean that they are looking to make it worse than it is now.

Be sure to send in your two cents.

TEXANRED
01-04-2008, 10:40 PM
My last experience with the "seated" groups at Reliant felt like a freakin opera, where we were regarded with frowns and looks of disdain because we stomped on tea and scone hour. :elle: Seriously, if you want tea and scones on Sunday at noon, I'm sure you can find it in Houston. Reliant is a FOOTBALL STADIUM!

What we need to do is make a collective effort as Texan fans to make Reliant stadium the home field advantage that it is supposed to be. We need to somehow reach out to the fan base who do not visit the message boards.

Maybe get all of us loyalist together and raise some money to advertise in the sports page listing what is expected of them at Texan games. Maybe even hand out flyer's and leaflets in the parking lot detailing what a fan needs to do.

For example, stand during the game, make lots of noise when the Defense is on the field and shut up when the O is on the field.

Don't be afraid to yell or scream first down.

Stop getting up during the game to eat and drink. You have before the game, halftime, and after the game in the parking lot. If you have to pee, hold it.

Be at your seat on time. And I am looking right you tailgate people.

Just some examples.

It may seem a little stupid but have got to do something. This is our team and some people just need a little education.

Buffi2
01-04-2008, 10:54 PM
I, dutifully, sent in my 2 cents. I played the player card and said
The players seemingly enjoy a loud, standing, cheering crowd or they wouldn't go on the field flapping their arms like birds learning to fly...and they would win more road games.
I added that

A big part of attending football games is the excitement generated by fan noise - to say nothing of being a part of third down mistakes by the opposing offense. It just doesn't get any better than that.

One suggestion would be a sign or signs posted saying that the Texans encourage all fans to become the home field advantage by standing and cheering when the defense is on the field - thus solving two problems - being able to stand and getting people to be quiet while the offense is on the field.

Tell 'em what you think - we won't sit without a fight!:pirate:

Double Barrel
01-05-2008, 03:02 AM
I guess it REALLY does come down to money.

I have never doubted that for a second.

But what the FO needs to realize is that winning is what generates more money. I mean, I'm sure they know this already, but do they really understand what it takes to have a 'homefield advantage'? It takes hardcore football fanatics, plain and simple.

The question comes down to what does the owner/FO want? A wine & cheese crowd (ala Dallas), or the rowdy 'House of Pain' (ala Oilers).

ubecool454
01-05-2008, 04:31 AM
Something tells me that Overall is not telling the "whole" story on being kicked out of his seat. I can't help but feel that way. :shades:

ubecool454
01-05-2008, 04:42 AM
Another E-mail by me

Their response back

What could the different changes be?

Overalls the titans fans are making fun of you because you make it easy for them to do so. I've seen you trolling over there many times with insults that that are just plain uncalled for. Just let this stadium thing go dude. The texans already told you that they have no record of anyone being escorted out of their seat of the stadium for that game. That means that they are not going to look into it. Just let it go and get ready for the next season.

FILO_girl
01-06-2008, 10:31 AM

But what the FO needs to realize is that winning is what generates more money. I mean, I'm sure they know this already, but do they really understand what it takes to have a 'homefield advantage'? It takes hardcore football fanatics, plain and simple.

So true.

Wolf
01-06-2008, 11:13 AM

The question comes down to what does the owner/FO want? A wine & cheese crowd (ala Dallas), or the rowdy 'House of Pain' (ala Oilers).

I thought of what you said while watching Seattle-Redskins and they were talking about the noise and up on the flag pole was a blue and green(whatever Seattle's colors are now) 12 and with the word fan above it ..made me think about this thread

aj.
01-06-2008, 12:31 PM
I thought of what you said while watching Seattle-Redskins and they were talking about the noise and up on the flag pole was a blue and green(whatever Seattle's colors are now) 12 and with the word fan above it ..made me think about this thread

About 1/3 of the fans in that stadium wear the same jersey: Fan 12

The other 2/3 are dressed in flannel and drinking coffee.

They definitely come together as one. And yes it helps if you're a winner.

Tedc
01-06-2008, 12:37 PM
I am sure that the FO of the Seahawks have helped in the development of the 12th man. It takes more than fans.

aj.
01-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Team played well. Fans made a lot of noise. Team rewards fans by retiring number 12. That's how I remember it happening.

Krazy George was up there too. That's when it was still cool to do the wave. They had some of the more creative variations - not around the stadium but vertically from lower deck to upper and back down again.

The Kingdome was a noisy place in the good years. They had some good teams back then with Kreig, Big Jacob, Easley, Warner, Largent.... '83 maybe? ... early 80's for sure when they created the 12th man for the fans.

Tedc
01-06-2008, 02:08 PM
It all starts with the FO and goes from there.

I know Rick Smith is all for the homefield adavantage, I am just not sure his people know it. Maybe it is time for a little micro-management, Rick.:texflag:

aj.
01-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Doesn't take the front office to tell me how to act at football games. Shouldn't take stunts, marketing campaigns or gimmickery to create 'dedicated/loyal/crazy' fan zones either. If it's real and if it's genuine it will all come naturally. Oh well, to each their own.

This isn't a Rick Smith's (or one of 'his people's') problem to fix. It hits in a couple of VPs areas and Rootes - and ultimately McN.

Tedc
01-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Doesn't take the front office to tell me how to act at football games. Shouldn't take stunts, marketing campaigns or gimmickery to create 'dedicated/loyal/crazy' fan zones either. If it's real and if it's genuine it will all come naturally. Oh well, to each their own.

True, but remember the reason for this thread?

A dedicated fan was told to sit or he would be thrown out of an area dedicated for rowdy fans and in an area that is promoted by the team as an area that fans stand. I know this guy personally as I am sure you do and I know for a fact that he doesn't cuss or get beligerant(sp?).

aj.
01-06-2008, 02:36 PM
True, but remember the reason for this thread?

A dedicated fan was told to sit or he would be thrown out of an area dedicated for rowdy fans and in an area that is promoted by the team as an area that fans stand. I know this guy personally as I am sure you do and I know for a fact that he doesn't cuss or get beligerant(sp?).

Yeah, I know all that - it was in the first post of the thread.

I object to anyone being told they can't stand up and yell at a game - no matter where they are in the stadium. My point is that I'd rather see it so that any area in the stadium, except for the Club section is 'rowdy' naturally with environs not created or controlled by the marketing department. Back in '06, some guy in front of me got mouthy with the people in front of him, telling them to sit down in a not so polite way - this was even before the game started. Several of us around this guy took care of it and we haven't seen him since. A major part of my point is consistent with the thread theme whether you realize it or not.

Drew_Smoke
01-06-2008, 03:03 PM
At least they're listening.

Overalls
01-06-2008, 03:17 PM
One of my favorite pieces of Oiler Memorabilia, I didn't buy. I had to earn it. Back during the "House of Pain" era there was a couple of guys dressed in black suits like the Blues Brothers that wore Jason Mask (I think). They walked around the stadium throwing towels to fans that were making a lot of noise. It was a "Bruise Brothers' towel. I still have it. It meant a bunch to me for them to deem me worthy of that towel.
The Bull Pen will never come close to reaching the status of the Dawg Pound or Black Hole when our own FO does next to nothing to seperate us from any other section of the stadium. Even here on this board we have had arguements about the Bull Pen not being any better than any other section of the stadium. There are advantages and differences to almost every section of the stadium. The "Dark Side" gets the endzone and the shade. Two of the corners get players coming out. The side lines are the good seats with a better view of the field. Nothing like watching a game from the 50 yard line. No section of the stadiuim can be "the home field advantage" by itself. It takes all of us. We have sit through 6 years of mostly bad times. We are tired of hearing "Next year will be better". We want good times now.
We as fans are being judged all the time. "Why don't we get in our seats before kickoff?" "Why are there so many no shows?" "Why are there so many Eagles fans in the stadium?" A team can give an identity to it's fans and the fans in turn can give a team an identity. The Raiders are the Black Hole. The Browns are the Dawg Pound. Who are we? Are we the wine cooler drinkers and golf clapper? I don't think so. Are we the fickle Houston fans that the national media thinks we are? We came back after 2-14 didn't we. I do think too many of us are mixed loyalty fans. Fans that root for the Texans except when they play xxxxxx. A buddy next to me in the Bull Pen had a Broncos jersey on under his Texans jersey at that game. He pulled off his Texans jersey and flew his Broncos colors for about 10 minutes. That's all he could stand doing. He had grown up in Colorado rooting for John Elway but he couldn't turn his back on the Texans like that. He is a Texan now. How many of us have seen somebody close to us in our section root for another team while claiming Texans loyalty. We are a team of fans that need an identity. Who are we?

Andrew6
01-06-2008, 03:56 PM
I hate to say this but the biggest cure to having a packed out nothing but Texans fan base there is to win. And to win alot. Look at the Patriots. 10 years ago you would have looked at that team and went, "WHO"? I am sure now that Gillette stadium is sold out and their entire fan base has come out of hiding. Things will change will just take time and lots of wins. As far as the FO, they are in the market of selling seats. To them we are nothing more than a number. If we refuse to buy season tickets next year thats fine to them. We just lose our PSLs and they can sell them again.

Buffi2
01-06-2008, 06:41 PM
The Raiders are the Black Hole. The Browns are the Dawg Pound. Who are we? Are we the wine cooler drinkers and golf clapper? I don't think so. Are we the fickle Houston fans that the national media thinks we are? We came back after 2-14 didn't we. I do think too many of us are mixed loyalty fans. Fans that root for the Texans except when they play xxxxxx. A buddy next to me in the Bull Pen had a Broncos jersey on under his Texans jersey at that game. He pulled off his Texans jersey and flew his Broncos colors for about 10 minutes. That's all he could stand doing. He had grown up in Colorado rooting for John Elway but he couldn't turn his back on the Texans like that. He is a Texan now. How many of us have seen somebody close to us in our section root for another team while claiming Texans loyalty. We are a team of fans that need an identity. Who are we?

This is like a vicious circle at best or a chicken and the egg question. Do we win before we get an identity? Do we get an identity before we win?

Other teams - ie the Dawg Pound, 12th man, etc - also have a history and this has been discussed before.

One thing we are forgetting is that we are the history of the Texans. We are the ones who need to find our identity - not our children or the fans who arrive after we start winning.

On the other side of this conundrum, the Oilers' Astrodome didn't become the House of Pain until the Glanville era, according to profootball.com, and they had been in existence since 1960 ish. Now that is close to 30 years to find the identity that stuck. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't have that long left to live.

The Powers that Be aren't totally stupid. They know that high priced seats need to be sold but they also know that a fanatic fan base also needs to be very much in evidence.

You want advertising that is priceless? Put a loud, standing, screaming fan base, all dressed up in Texan garb on national TV and watch ticket sales go up

Our history could start in the Bull Pen - at least once we get Overalls back to an upright position in front of his seat and I think that will happen - call me Pollyanna. :shades: You don't like the wave? That's cool - I'm not a big fan myself - but come up with something relatively unique that can get all fans involved. Post the idea here and keep doing it over and over until the rest catch on. The move the chains folks should do the same thing. You do something often enough and even the slowest among us will catch on.

aj.
01-06-2008, 06:51 PM
On the other side of this conundrum, the Oilers' Astrodome didn't become the House of Pain until the Glanville era, according to profootball.com, and they had been in existence since 1960 ish. Now that is close to 30 years to find the identity that stuck. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't have that long left to live.

It was LYB and HOP. The common denominator was playoff teams. It will happen again but you can't create a real identity with marketing campaigns and contrived gimmickery. Win and a new era will be upon us.

StarStruck
01-06-2008, 06:58 PM
First things first. The Texans advertised the Bull Pen as being the place for the loudest fans, encouraged to stand, and probably not a place for children yada yada yada. That issue should be resolved first, and once that's done then see what the fans can come up with next to build on a strong base in the stadium.

Overalls
01-06-2008, 07:12 PM
This coming season we have our best shot ever of having a winning season. I agree with aj that winning breeds enthusiasm from the fans. That's a given. How ever do we want some one in a corporate seat or broker seat telling those of us that have been here since the begining how we should act. Next year tickets could be harder to get since they were in year one. The FO can't "invent" a true Bull Pen tradition. I understand that the FO can't make us care, but they can get out of the way of those of us that already do. This could be a pivital offseason for us as long time fans. Do we let the golf clappers take over or do we stand up and scream at the top of our lungs. GO TEXANS.

aj.
01-06-2008, 07:17 PM
I just don't want this campaign, as worthy as it is, to backfire at the expense of other sections in the stadium. If people in other sections want to get up an yell without 'usher persecution,' then they should be able to get up and yell. There's several thousand of us in other parts of the stadium that don't want to be told to sit down either. I think formal 'zoning' of fan conduct is a mistake and I would hate to see tighter enforcement of written rules that draw attention to 'standing encouraged' in only two sections of the stadium. Let it happen naturally and it will happen everywhere, once the winning comes.

There's precedent for ***** and backfire. We campaigned loudly about getting reserved parking to alleviate the chaos (fun) that accompanied 'getting there early to get your favorite tailgate spot' and what happened? They jacked up the prices 75%, called it Platinum and essentially killed one of the best tailgate areas outside Reliant.

I hope the save Overalls thing is resolved to the safisfaction of everyone who likes to get up and yell. If everyone else is standing, one Stub Hub seat in the mix won't have a leg to stand on. They'll have to do like the Romans. And like Gump said, 'that's all I have to say about that.'

imatexan
01-06-2008, 09:58 PM
This really does frustrate me. I remeber when I went to the Texans first game EVER i the preseason and everyone was seeing Reliant for the first time. IT just soo happends that Overalls was walking in at the same time me and my dad were. I was 12 at the time and saw his outfit and everything and was amazed, even at a young age I was proud that we had great fans like that. Every year since I have been a season ticket holder and everygame I look down to see Overalls standing with his son and it almost makes me feel secure. I had to miss this last game (only all season) and it would not have felt right looking over and not seeing him there. This problem needs to be fixed.

Texans_Chick
01-07-2008, 09:29 AM
I just don't want this campaign, as worthy as it is, to backfire at the expense of other sections in the stadium. If people in other sections want to get up an yell without 'usher persecution,' then they should be able to get up and yell. There's several thousand of us in other parts of the stadium that don't want to be told to sit down either. I think formal 'zoning' of fan conduct is a mistake and I would hate to see tighter enforcement of written rules that draw attention to 'standing encouraged' in only two sections of the stadium. Let it happen naturally and it will happen everywhere, once the winning comes.

There's precedent for ***** and backfire. We campaigned loudly about getting reserved parking to alleviate the chaos (fun) that accompanied 'getting there early to get your favorite tailgate spot' and what happened? They jacked up the prices 75%, called it Platinum and essentially killed one of the best tailgate areas outside Reliant.

I hope the save Overalls thing is resolved to the safisfaction of everyone who likes to get up and yell. If everyone else is standing, one Stub Hub seat in the mix won't have a leg to stand on. They'll have to do like the Romans. And like Gump said, 'that's all I have to say about that.'

Absolutely agree. (Except for that Platinum stuff--I like the Platinum lot because the reserved spaces make it less tense to get your spot, and because you have the same neighbors in exactly the same spots, you get to know them better).

When I wrote the Texans, I told them that if they are looking at policies for the future, their policy, stadium wide should be that fans uphappy about standers in front of them should be offered alternative seating but that we shouldn't have ushers pressuring standers to sit down if they are standing in front of their seat.

Ultimately, I agree with your point that the fans in general will go crazier when the team wins more consistently.

As someone who has sat in seats all over the stadium, the Bull Pen side of the stadium is louder, and they do tend to stand up more. The SEZ isn't a bunch of golf clappers, but the Bull Pen folks are a little louder.

I find the marketing of the Grid Iron Texas to be offensive--I understand why they are doing it--but it is rude to say that those fans are some how more fanatic than other fans. (Especially when they used Bull Pen pictures to market that section).

I do think, that marketing is something that can help with your fanbase.

Some of the marketing efforts that the Texans have done have brought fans closer together. Apparently, they ditched the ultimate fan contest, but that contest was one of many events that diehard fans got to know each other better even when they sit in different parts of the stadium. They've encouraged tailgating. People make fun of the Battle Red Days as a way of selling jerseys, but they sure do win a lot wearing that, and it is always nice seeing the stadium awash in red.

Yeah, some of their marketing is a little excessive, and changes based on whatever the most recent person in charge thinks is a good idea. And it certainly doesn't have the effect that winning does. But I do think it is a good idea to try to spread good will and connections with the team, even when there ain't playoffs happening.

eric138
01-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Sucks to be you Overalls... sitting up there in that North End Zone trying to have a good time and a yellow jacket tries to start crap and you are there alone with no other supporters battling with you. If it was in the "dark side" and the yellow jacket was doing something that wasnt right he/she would have a face full of fans telling them where to go.

Your fellow Bull Pen friends should have stepped up when it was happening forcing the ticker broker seaters to take a hike. I'm sure it would have been all over the radios, TV, and in McNairs face if he saw the entire Bull Pen walk the F out of that joint and something would have been done.

Down here in our "golf clapping dark side" zone this crap wouldn't have been tolerated.

And do y'all not know the yellow jacket for your section? We've had the same one for years, asking us for autographs when we are on the front page and I seriously doubt this would've even begin to happen.. she would've told them to stand up if they want to watch the game.

BTW, we are louder than y'all. TEXANS!

Texan_Bill
01-07-2008, 10:45 AM
^^^^^^^Ignore post. An attempt to take this thread a different direction^^^^^^^

Overalls, TC and BullPenners, keep fighting the good fight.

Also Blue Crewers, we need to make sure that we voice our opinions of the parking nazis too.

eric138
01-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Oh come on now.... it wasn't like that..

Texan_Bill
01-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Oh come on now.... it wasn't like that..

I know... I was just funnin' ya!!

aj.
01-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Absolutely agree. (Except for that Platinum stuff--I like the Platinum lot because the reserved spaces make it less tense to get your spot, and because you have the same neighbors in exactly the same spots, you get to know them better).

You must park around the perimeter somewhere. I park just across the concrete barriers in Blue and the middle of that lot is pretty empty until about the time we start putting up our tailgate stuff. I will agree on the less troublesome (not sure if tense is the right word) aspect to get your your spot. But the tailgate environment in that lot is nowhere what it used to be when everyone over there tailgated. Having 'your' spot is a nice thing.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Overalls programming.

Overalls
01-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Down here in our "golf clapping dark side" zone this crap wouldn't have been tolerated.

If it came over that I was calling the dark side golf clappers. I am sorry. That was not my intention. Since I am a vagabond tailgater, I frequent a tailgate by "Darke Siders" as well as my Blue Crew buddies. If anything I meant the opposite. I know that there is a large segment of that section that are just as rabid as any other section in the stadium including the Bull Pen. I meant that MOST of us chose where we sit for different reason but that doesn't mean that any of us are wrong for choosing to sit where we did. None of us are lesser fans just because we chose not to sit in the Bull Pen, but IF a section is promoted and labeled as a place where a rabid fan can feel free to act a little nuts, we should be able to act a little nuts. By golf clappers I did not mean any one section of the stadium. I have seen them in the Bull Pen also. Just as I believe that just because you are in a club seat doesn't mean you aren't screaming your head off.

eric138
01-07-2008, 01:49 PM
and y'all should act nuts.. thats one of the reason i stayed away from that area when we got our seats, we knew it would be crazy up there... because it should be.

Buffi2
01-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Here is the definitive answer on standing I received today.

We appreciate your suggestions and we are working on our 2008 season. Fans may stand directly in front of their seat during any point of the game. We want to create noise to be the home field advantage. The usher’s cannot force a fan to sit or escort them out for standing directly in front of their seat. We will forward your email to the Marketing Department because they are continuously looking for new ideas to improve the game day experience. Thank you again and we look forward to next season!

That is their story and they are sticking to it. Standing lives! Overalls should receive the Texans version of a purple heart. :heart:

76Texan
01-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Sounds good to me Buffi2:specnatz:

Texan_Bill
01-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Here is the definitive answer on standing I received today.

That is their story and they are sticking to it. Standing lives! Overalls should receive the Texans version of a purple heart. :heart:

OKay... Someone quick; copy, paste and make 70,000+ copies. Every fan should carry it in their back pocket.

Drew_Smoke
01-07-2008, 06:26 PM
You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Texan_Bill again.

Tedc
01-07-2008, 06:33 PM
OKay... Someone quick; copy, paste and make 70,000+ copies. Every fan should carry it in their back pocket.

I thought about that as well but I didn't see anyone's name on the e-mail so I haven't gotten excited about it yet.

Texan_Bill
01-07-2008, 06:43 PM
I thought about that as well but I didn't see anyone's name on the e-mail so I haven't gotten excited about it yet.

Heck.... We'll just sign it: Robert C. McNair

Buffi2
01-07-2008, 07:51 PM

There was no signature - just Go Texans...That way everyone can always say, "He did it." and point to the first person they see.

Overalls
01-08-2008, 10:41 PM
The latest e-mail

Overalls,

We are speaking with the usher regarding this incident. In other areas of the Stadium sometimes the ushers will speak to the person standing if other fans are complaining but should not force the fan to sit or call security if the fan is only standing directly in front of his seat. Going forward we will make sure that the ushers in the Bull Pen are more informed. We are also looking forward to the 2008 season and if you have any suggestions regarding the Bull Pen please let us know. We are looking into different signage in the area regarding standing. Please visit guest services during the game if you need assistance or have any questions. Thank you and have a great day!

GO TEXANS!

Texans_Chick
01-08-2008, 11:00 PM
We are speaking with the usher regarding this incident. In other areas of the Stadium sometimes the ushers will speak to the person standing if other fans are complaining but should not force the fan to sit or call security if the fan is only standing directly in front of his seat. Going forward we will make sure that the ushers in the Bull Pen are more informed. We are also looking forward to the 2008 season and if you have any suggestions regarding the Bull Pen please let us know. We are looking into different signage in the area regarding standing. Please visit guest services during the game if you need assistance or have any questions. Thank you and have a great day!

No no and no. Except for you having a great day.

Ushers should never tell fans to sit down anywhere in the stadium. Ever. Nevereverever.

Usually if someone goes to the trouble of telling an usher, they have already said something to the person in front of them. Having the usher say it too encourages the wrong thing. It send a horrible message to encourage people to be bad fans.

People should be encouraged to stand everywhere in the stadium.

If someone lazybones semi-fan tattles to an usher, then the usher should offer the lazybone nacho eater a more sedate area of the stadium. The usher shouldn't try to tell someone to sit down at a FOOTBALL GAME. It's insanity!!!

Buffi2
01-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Well, the good news is that they are taking my idea of a sign - the bad news is that this lovely "signage" will only be in the Bull Pen area. They should plaster that puppy all over the stadium.:cowboy1: At this rate, I'm going to become best friends with whomever is in charge of fans vs nacho eaters cuz I am certainly going to email and clarify this little oversight.

I still think Overalls deserves a signed jersey at the very least.

Da_General
01-08-2008, 11:35 PM
Wow, I wonder how much of this problem would disappear if the ticket owners were actual people and not corporate entities? If every seat in the place was owned by people who live and die with the team like we all do?
Too bad that that's probably never going to happen, but it's nice to dream!

There are many more facets of this discussion I'd like to get involved in, but I like my gig too much.

Winning and being successful as a franchise will hopefully make this problem go away. And hopefully it will happen VERY soon!

Just out of curiosity, what was it like in the Bull Pen (and other parts of the stadium) when we played Indy with our sparkling 2-0 record this year? From my perspective, the place was totally electric, especially at the beginning of the game. Loudest I remember since 19-10. Were the tea and crumpets non-fans behaving the same way then?

aj.
01-08-2008, 11:54 PM
People should be encouraged to stand everywhere in the stadium.

People attending sporting events, especially football games, should understand that standing is part of the deal whether it's all the time, on 3rd downs, or on big plays.

Fans should never be forced to sit down unless they are being a-holes, in which case they should be escorted outside or to the drunk tank. Signs regulating standing in only two sections of a stadium is a bad precedent.

Self-regulation works and is still the best solution in my opinion.

TxDavid
01-09-2008, 01:42 AM
Signs regulating standing in only two sections of a stadium is a bad precedent.

I agree. Once you put up a sign saying "XYZ is permitted here" it becomes assumed that it is not allowed elsewhere.

If they do put up signs in the BullPen, it should just be simple....Something like:

WARNING: You are entering the BullPen. This section is not for the faint of heart. See an usher if you wish to be re-seated.

or maybe something like this:
WARNING: Enter the BullPen at your own risk.

Tedc
01-09-2008, 07:46 AM
The latest e-mail

Funny thing is that when I got home from the game, I was so mad I had to send out a e-mails first thing when I got home after unloading the car. I sent e-mails to 4 different people with the Texans and one (reporter). The reporter sent a message back very quickly that he/she "would make sure it was sent to the right people".

I have not heard a peep since.

It is a great thing for the Bull Pen that they intend some sort of signage and training but it sucks for those not fortunate to sit in the rowdy section that is the REAL birthplace of the home field advantage.

I will always support ALL football fans to be able to stand and cheer as one and have sent out an e-mail to support that. :texflag:

Maybe as AJ said...it may happen as the team starts winning.

Overalls
01-09-2008, 07:52 AM
Maybe as AJ said...it may happen as the team starts winning.

Hopefully we will find out next season.

Double Barrel
01-09-2008, 11:53 AM
It is a great thing for the Bull Pen that they intend some sort of signage and training but it sucks for those not fortunate to sit in the rowdy section that is the REAL birthplace of the home field advantage.

*sigh* We have a "homefield advantage"? :um:

Seriously, not dogging the Bull Pen or any other section, but I've seen our defense give up first downs on too many 3rd and longs to count.

"Homefield advantage" ONLY works when you have a good team. Otherwise, it's just a pithy slogan used to sell tickets or puff your chest out about.

Too bad it doesn't really exist in Reliant Stadium. Not yet, anyway.

Texans_Chick
01-09-2008, 12:05 PM
*sigh* We have a "homefield advantage"? :um:

Seriously, not dogging the Bull Pen or any other section, but I've seen our defense give up first downs on too many 3rd and longs to count.

"Homefield advantage" ONLY works when you have a good team. Otherwise, it's just a pithy slogan used to sell tickets or puff your chest out about.

Too bad it doesn't really exist in Reliant Stadium. Not yet, anyway.

Actually, the Texans were a pretty good team at home this year.

The road, on the other hand, was sorta scary at times.

ATX
01-09-2008, 12:08 PM
For people that want to sit the whole game, I recommend sitting on aisle/row A, then nobody will stand up in front of you. There's also a thing called a couch, I have used it many times, more than being at the game, and I have to say nobody stood up in front of me.

Double Barrel
01-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Actually, the Texans were a pretty good team at home this year.

I do not dispute this fact, but I do not believe the wins were a result of our fan initiated "homefield advantage". There were too many empty seats from no-shows, too many golf clappers, and too many folks leaving before the games were over. Heck, there were maybe 10,000 fans in the stadium watching Sage's dramatic 4th qtr. comeback against the Titans. And sorry, Bull Pen, but your numbers were depleted by the end of that game as much as any other part of the stadium. If you folks want to be the hardcore fanatics driving the bus, I'd expect to see the overwhelming majority of you staying until 0:00 is on the clock for every game.

Texans_Chick
01-09-2008, 12:35 PM
I do not dispute this fact, but I do not believe the wins were a result of our fan initiated "homefield advantage". There were too many empty seats from no-shows, too many golf clappers, and too many folks leaving before the games were over. Heck, there were maybe 10,000 fans in the stadium watching Sage's dramatic 4th qtr. comeback against the Titans. And sorry, Bull Pen, but your numbers were depleted by the end of that game as much as any other part of the stadium. If you folks want to be the hardcore fanatics driving the bus, I'd expect to see the overwhelming majority of you staying until 0:00 is on the clock for every game.

Hey but we are a pretty loud bunch of 10,000 fans banging them seats. :cool:

Joe Texan
01-09-2008, 12:35 PM
We will need to check all false start stats in each area of the feild to make any analysys of home feild advantage or not. I do know almost every game there were several false starts in the red zone N endzone for the oposing team. I also know I have heard that this stadium is one of the loudest in the NFL. I know for sure Bill and I had that #62 for the Jags petrified to come to the Bull Pen.

I think we need to get together and create the echo affect in the stadium. Bull Pen: MARIO Quietzone: MARIO Goat Herders: MARIO

Get the picture

Double Barrel
01-09-2008, 12:47 PM
I think we need to get together and create the echo affect in the stadium. Bull Pen: MARIO Quietzone: MARIO Goat Herders: MARIO

Get the picture

Great idea, man! :thumbup

And I am in no way dismissing the Bull Pen. You folks consistently make some noise when the action is on your end of the field. It's nice to hear, and I hope it's contagious as the team experiences more success. I've always hoped that Houstonians could find their inner "house of pain" for the Texans.

gwallaia
01-09-2008, 12:53 PM
I know for sure Bill and I had that #62 for the Jags petrified to come to the Bull Pen.

Ummm Joe, #62 Dennis Norman is 6'-5" and 323lb. He would kick your ass in the Bull Pen.:whip:
http://www.jaguars.com/Team/Player.aspx?id=2579

Joe Texan
01-09-2008, 12:58 PM
He was scared silly, just ask bill, he is no match to these guns

Speedy
01-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Hey but we are a pretty loud bunch of 10,000 fans banging them seats. :cool:

Well, there you go!!! If it was that loud for 10,000, and it was because I was still hanging from the roof 'til 0:00, then imagine 70,000 fans standing and 70,000 fans banging those seats.

OK, how 'bout 45,000?

Double Barrel
01-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Well, there you go!!! If it was that loud for 10,000, and it was because I was still hanging from the roof 'til 0:00, then imagine 70,000 fans standing and 70,000 fans banging those seats.

Now that would be a true fan-based homefield advantage! :fans:

aj.
01-09-2008, 07:09 PM
I found the best approach was to stand at my seat and stomp the crap out of the seat bottom in front of me. It started with hands and arms but that wasn't working well enough. I'll never admit to what happened to the seat bottom but I had an extremely sore knee for two weeks - and it appeared that the seat was back in working order later in the year ...:whistle:

I'll never forget all the noise the Reliant 10,000 made that day.

0:57 and three time outs was all I could think after picking myself off the floor following the Davis TD..

Double Barrel
01-09-2008, 07:16 PM
0:57 and three time outs was all I could think after picking myself off the floor following the Davis TD..

Those Titans games at Reliant are starting to become heart stoppers!

Da_General
01-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Those Titans games at Reliant are starting to become heart stoppers!

Which reminds me of another topic sure to be discussed a lot in the coming months...are we going to get another home primetime game? I was looking at the schedule and decided that the Titans game would be the primo choice for next season.

We now return to your regularly scheduled topic.

Overalls
01-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Which reminds me of another topic sure to be discussed a lot in the coming months...are we going to get another home primetime game? I was looking at the schedule and decided that the Titans game would be the primo choice for next season.

We now return to your regularly scheduled topic.

I would guess that we would have a good shot at a primetime game. The Titans game would be an easy one to hype and we did play well in our Thursday night game this season.

Texans_Chick
01-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Another email exchange:

Me to Texans:

A follow up question:

The fan who felt pressured to sit down in the Bull Pen or else be threatened with ejection received a number of responses from FanFeedback. This is one of them:

"We are speaking with the usher regarding this incident. In other areas of the Stadium sometimes the ushers will speak to the person standing if other fans are complaining but should not force the fan to sit or call security if the fan is only standing directly in front of his seat. Going forward we will make sure that the ushers in the Bull Pen are more informed. We are also looking forward to the 2008 season and if you have any suggestions regarding the Bull Pen please let us know. We are looking into different signage in the area regarding standing. Please visit guest services during the game if you need assistance or have any questions. Thank you and have a great day!"

I know in an earlier email to me you indicated that ushers speak to standing people if other fans are complaining. It is my belief that no one representing the Texans, that includes ushers should encourage fans to sit down no matter where they are sitting in the stadium, Bull Pen or otherwise. If a fan complains about standing to an usher, it's been my experience that the complainer has already said something to the person in front of them. To have the usher also say something like that, puts the usher in a bad spot because it is rude, and also inappropriate at a football game.

People attending sporting events need to understand that standing is part of being at a live sporting event, especially a football game.*

If an usher is faced with people complaining about standing people, the complainer could be offered alternative seating. In no circumstances should ushers be required to tell standing fans that other fans are complaining about standing. There is nothing worse than being told on one hand "you are the homefield advantage" but then be told on the other hand by an usher, "the people behind you are complaining that you are standing up." Because the implication from that is that you want this diehard fan to sit down. Ushers should only speak to fans who are standing in aisles or are otherwise being drunk or disorderly. But not for standing.

My fear about having different signage in the Bull Pen is that the BP is only two small sections. And fans stand up in all sorts of sections. The fear is that those of us who have seats outside the Bull Pen are going to feel pressured to sit down because we aren't in the signed "standing section."

Some of this will become irrelevant when the Texans win on a more frequent basis. Fans all over the stadium tend to stand up more when winning is happening. I saw tons of people standing up especially during the Denver game, even in parts of the stadium where fans tend not to stand a lot. Check out this video of the first game in Texans history:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omaoHfX5aEU

People stand when they are excited.

So in sum, I think if there is a policy about this:

1. No ushers anywhere in the stadium should inform others of complaints about their standing. As this is rude and against homefield advantage.
2. If someone complains to an usher, they should be offered alternative seating in an area that is more sedate.

Thanks for considering my suggestions. I only make them as someone who 1. tries to do my part in homefield advantage; 2. does not sit in the Bull Pen; 3. Have had a few times where people who are sitting in corporate seats behind us have told our group to sit down.. I would be very offended if an usher who is representing the Texans told me about those complaints too. There are a number of people who worry that having official signage in the Bull Pen about standing would mean that the rest of us would be pressured to sit.

I know that seems silly, but I know that the Texans care about what the fans think, and sometimes I think in the past policies have overreacted to fan concerns.

Thanks again for your time,

Texans to me:

We will look into your suggestions this off season. We are committed to creating a safe, comfortable and enjoyable experience for everyone. Thank you again for your feedback.

So there you go.:texflag:

*Hat tip to AJ.

Joe Texan
01-13-2008, 05:58 PM
or maybe something like this:
WARNING: Enter the BullPen at your own risk.

I like it

or

Caution: Extreme Football fans in sections 116 and 117. No Crying to the ushers Period.

OrangeLotPole8
01-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Here is the response I got from the Texans after I voiced my opinion about standing.

Dear James,

Thank you for your email and support of the Houston Texans! We appreciate your feedback regarding standing in the Stadium. Any fan in any part of the Stadium may stand directly in front of their seat during any part of the game. We do encourage standing in the Bull Pen and we have taken the appropriate actions regarding the usher. Sometimes in other areas of the Stadium if a fan chooses to stand while no one else is an usher will inform the fan but does not force the fan to sit nor move. We are committed to creating a safe, comfortable and enjoyable experience for everyone. Thank you again for your feedback and have a great day!

GO TEXANS

Overalls
05-30-2008, 07:47 AM
I know I am bringing back from the dead an old thread that I started at the end of last season but I have a good reason.

Last night at the All Access thing I was walking around just checking out the people when I see a user in a yellow shirt coming towards me. It was like we recognized each other at the same time. He gives me a little finger point, like "I know you". It was my good buddy, the user that thought maybe I needed to vacate the Bull Pen or sit down. It was kinda a Twilight Zone Moment as he give me one of those real friendly double hand shakes. It was cool though. It was like he was acknowledging that he did wrong without saying it. It was good to see him. I hope he is in control of the Bull Pen next season. I would guess I wouldn't be asked to sit down again.

Peace,