PDA

View Full Version : Darius Walker and Will Demps: fool's gold or legit starting material?

TexansFight
12-30-2007, 05:43 PM
For the Texans to become a legit playoff contender, I believe our most pressing personnel moves are the following:

1. LT and C; hopefully addressed through the draft. Joe Thomas had a huge impact in turning the Browns around and I would love for us to draft a stud in the first round to man the position for a decade.

2. Secondary - I am worried about Dunta and our depth and both safety positions sucked until Demps started playing and making some plays. He is not great but seems serviceable.

3. RB - I really hated Dayne for most of the year but as the 3rd back next year to pound out some yards I can see him back. Darius Walker seems to have nice burst.

I also think Richard Smith needs to go and we need to get an elite DC.

Now, number 1 priority IMO is OL help. I really think we need to draft a RB in the first 3 rounds. In my mind, I am not considering Ahman Green in the lineup. I think we should cut his worthless ass immediately.

Unfortunately, you can't address all the holes with top of the draft talent. Are Walker and Demps good enough to forego us drafting a RB and S until the 4-7 rounds?

adam
12-30-2007, 05:49 PM
I would say that Walker and Dayne will be fine for next year, though I am sure most would disagree. Demps, Brown, and Hutchins will not be fine for next year. Nor will Salaam, Pitts, or McKinney. I'm sure most will disagree, but the running game is fine. It will be better, as will our passing game, when we improve the offensive line, particularly everything from the center to the left. The secondary is killing our defense, as are the lame schemes. So, to break it down.

1) Fix the secondary
2) Improve the o-line (focus on center-left)
3) Find a new DC

fikster
12-30-2007, 05:51 PM
i think walker is good for the system that kubiak uses with multiple backs. i am not sold on demps yet. i think we need to get some studs in the secondary and i'm not sure if he is one of them. good complementary player.

Spled
12-30-2007, 05:53 PM
I like the way Walker compliments Dayne. A defense has to deal with the power of Dayne and the finesse of Walker.

fikster
12-30-2007, 05:54 PM
I would say that Walker and Dayne will be fine for next year, though I am sure most would disagree. Demps, Brown, and Hutchins will not be fine for next year. Nor will Salaam, Pitts, or McKinney. I'm sure most will disagree, but the running game is fine. It will be better, as will our passing game, when we improve the offensive line, particularly everything from the center to the left. The secondary is killing our defense, as are the lame schemes. So, to break it down.

1) Fix the secondary
2) Improve the o-line (focus on center-left)
3) Find a new DC

i agree with this with the exception of McKinney, I think he is the anchor of the O line and we could see that once he was out.

Thorn
12-30-2007, 05:56 PM
As far as a run to the Super Bowl is concerned, we arenít going next year. Letís concentrate on what we need to even ourselves out in the division in which we play.

For that I would say we need linemen on both sides of the ball that can do their job.

TexansFight
12-30-2007, 05:57 PM
i agree with this with the exception of McKinney, I think he is the anchor of the O line and we could see that once he was out.

I completely disagree. I have been wanting to upgrade McKinney for years now. I have seen him get blown off the ball way too many times for my taste. I would love to see a young free agent or a stud draft pick learn the position.

fikster
12-30-2007, 06:04 PM
I completely disagree. I have been wanting to upgrade McKinney for years now. I have seen him get blown off the ball way too many times for my taste. I would love to see a young free agent or a stud draft pick learn the position.

i understand that, I have seen the same thing, but he is the anchor of the line and we need him for another year to help the transition. The line performed well as a unit when he was in, could they get better, off course, but he did hold them together. Once he went down, so did Schaub. i think we can find a good young center in the 3rd or 4th round and let him learn, like you said for a year.

Mr PC
12-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Will Demps has played better than any other safety on the Texans roster, and I think he is good enough to start so long as we get another safety to play along side him (paging Gibril Wilson). I had faith in Walker, but he surprised even me with his performance these last few games. I wont say I think he is starting material, BUT.... I used to place RB as a high priority need, now I wouldnt mind starting next season with Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, and Darius Walker as our backs, if that allows us to pick up some secondary help in free agency.

Maddict5
12-30-2007, 07:20 PM
I would say that Walker and Dayne will be fine for next year, though I am sure most would disagree. Demps, Brown, and Hutchins will not be fine for next year. Nor will Salaam, Pitts, or McKinney. I'm sure most will disagree, but the running game is fine. It will be better, as will our passing game, when we improve the offensive line, particularly everything from the center to the left.

so the running game is fine but the o-line has to go? you dont think the two might be linked?

anyway imo we will (based on what kubiaks said) have a new LT next yr and probably a new C and RG.. im not sure what the story with rashad butler is long term.

i also likw walker, dayne and ahman with taylor coming back and maybe a late round chance... we could always try mike turner if we think hes the real deal but its not a priority imo

Will Demps has played better than any other safety on the Texans roster, and I think he is good enough to start so long as we get another safety to play along side him (paging Gibril Wilson). I had faith in Walker, but he surprised even me with his performance these last few games. I wont say I think he is starting material, BUT.... I used to place RB as a high priority need, now I wouldnt mind starting next season with Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, and Darius Walker as our backs, if that allows us to pick up some secondary help in free agency.

is he a FA? i didnt know that. hes a quality safety alright from what ive seen of him

Mr PC
12-30-2007, 07:27 PM
so the running game is fine but the o-line has to go? you dont think the two might be linked?

anyway imo we will (based on what kubiaks said) have a new LT next yr and probably a new C and RG.. im not sure what the story with rashad butler is long term.

i also likw walker, dayne and ahman with taylor coming back and maybe a late round chance... we could always try mike turner if we think hes the real deal but its not a priority imo

is he a FA? i didnt know that. hes a quality safety alright from what ive seen of him
unrestricted FA as of now, and he should not break the bank either.

The Pencil Neck
12-30-2007, 07:28 PM

I think Adam's point is that the problems with the running game aren't issues with the running backs but issues with the linemen. So, upgrade the line.

Maddict5
12-30-2007, 07:45 PM
still id bet a million dollars chester is our starting LG next yr bar injury

Mr PC
12-30-2007, 07:50 PM
still id bet a million dollars chester is our starting LG next yr bar injury
Thats fine with me as long as Salaam isnt the starting LT. Chester has Salaam and Flanagan on either side of him, I think he would look much better in a different situation. The right side of the line has looked pretty strong and it has shown with our recent success in running the ball.

ArlingtonTexan
12-30-2007, 07:56 PM
to answer the broad question

Demps is a decent starter, who won't embarrass a team, but is upgradeable. If you have a really good defense, he is fine. Very much in the Marlee McCree range of player. Given the state of the Texans safeties, I would attempt to re-sign him for a modest contract.

Walker is not a guy I want to depend on week-in week-out, but may have a good career as a fill-in type of player. Considering the teams the Texans are chasing in its division, settling for a mediocore reserve and Ron Dayne is not the approach to take at RB.

kiwitexansfan
12-30-2007, 08:03 PM

It is easier to turn mediocre runners into stars with a good OLine than turn a mediocre line into stars by having a stud back.

I kind of see Walker in the DD/DW mold, a guy you might not think of as a starter, but if you plug him in he would be able to do the job to a reasonable standard.

Ckw
12-30-2007, 08:11 PM
i understand that, I have seen the same thing, but he is the anchor of the line and we need him for another year to help the transition. The line performed well as a unit when he was in, could they get better, off course, but he did hold them together. Once he went down, so did Schaub. i think we can find a good young center in the 3rd or 4th round and let him learn, like you said for a year.

Cody Wallace, Texas A&M Center. Nuff said.

The1ApplePie
12-30-2007, 08:19 PM
We need a real back. In this draft, the only quality LTs will be gone by the time we pick, meaning Stewart or Jones should be there. Taking a center in the 1st seems stupid to me. You can usually get 1st round talent in centers in the 3rd/4th round because they aren't in demand.

Kalil went in the 3rd, and he was 1st round talent by a mile.

All that being said, if Conner is sitting there, we take him and run:doot:

Hagar
12-30-2007, 09:21 PM
Walker is a good back up but I don't think he could hold down the starting job. A combination of him with Dayne seemed to work well and I don't see it as our most pressing need.

I like Demps and think he should be resigned and start for us next year. He's earned that much this year. Demps is definetely an improvement over CC Brown as a FS. Considering the injury to DRob will probably take at least two offseason's to heal, I think we'll need corner help next year.

whiskeyrbl
12-30-2007, 09:30 PM
I'm sure I'll get blasted for this but we may already have a couple of pieces on our team. We have Chris Taylor who was showing promise at RB before he got hurt, and we just signed Greg Eslinger a C out of Minnesota who was the 2nd or 3rd rated C when he came out. We also have Brandon Harrison and Brandon Mitchell in our Secondary who I think will contribute alot next year. I would try to resign Demps however, I think he can be a good presence for us back there. In the first rd this year I would like to see them get Oher(OT) or Dan Conner(OLB).

tulexan
12-30-2007, 09:36 PM
I'm sure I'll get blasted for this but we may already have a couple of pieces on our team. We have Chris Taylor who was showing promise at RB before he got hurt, and we just signed Greg Eslinger a C out of Minnesota who was the 2nd or 3rd rated C when he came out. We also have Brandon Harrison and Brandon Mitchell in our Secondary who I think will contribute alot next year. I would try to resign Demps however, I think he can be a good presence for us back there. In the first rd this year I would like to see them get Oher(OT) or Dan Conner(OLB).

Chris Taylor played in one game against one of the worst defenses in the league. He will be lucky to make the team next season.

Hervoyel
12-30-2007, 09:46 PM
On Walker I think that he's got good vision, good instincts, and great natural ability to find the holes and get through them. I think it's unfortunate that he has this along with a general lack of speed, strength, and size. I think he's going to make a very good third down or "change of pace" back for us but the odds do not favor him ever becoming a starter. I know he looks like DD sometimes but he's not. They just share the jersey number and the instincts. Still, I'd love to see him prove me wrong.

I note that the subject of "What's Chris Taylor ever done?" seems to be fairly hot at the moment. I always thought the same thing but last year when he played in that game against Cleveland I think I understand what he's done and what the Texans see in him. Frankly I don't see what's so bad about a player spending most of a year on the practice squad as Chris Taylor did last year and Darius Walker did this year. They coached them up all year and got them involved when they were ready. Both of them seemed to respond very well to this approach. Not everybody gets it right away and not everybody is prepared to play at this level from week one.

Demps I think is literally a gift from the gods. The secondary is getting murdered week in and week out but since Demps began starting it isn't completely killing us. He's the best thing we've seen at safety on this team since Marlon McCree. We need to hang on to this guy. Is he going to Canton when he's done playing? Of course not. He can play however and that's a step above many of the stooges we've had back there in the not too distant past.

tulexan
12-30-2007, 10:33 PM
I'm not saying that we should cut Taylor before the season starts, but we shouldn't go into next season expecting Taylor to be a major contributer on offense. He very well may be a diamond in the rough, but he also could be a piece of quartz. We don't know because he only has 28 carries in his career. My personal opinion is that Walker and Taylor will compete for the final running back spot on the team and I think Walker will probably win. While both have had limited carries in their respective careers, I like what I've seen from Walker more than Taylor.

walkingmydogma
12-30-2007, 11:15 PM
[QUOTE=kiwitexansfan;813829]It is easier to turn mediocre runners into stars with a good OLine than turn a mediocre line into stars by having a stud back.

I think some of the older Oiler fans here would disagree with you.When the Oilers got Earl in '78,the OLine suddenly became better at both run blocking and pass blocking and, IIRC,there was no change in OLine personnel between '77 and '78.

Mr PC
12-30-2007, 11:27 PM
I think some of the older Oiler fans here would disagree with you.When the Oilers got Earl in '78,the OLine suddenly became better at both run blocking and pass blocking and, IIRC,there was no change in OLine personnel between '77 and '78.

A HOF running back like Earl Campbell or Barry Sanders will make up for a sub-par offensive line, but those players are very rare. Its more common for good production in the running game to start up front with a solid offensive line. If the Texans were to use both first day draft picks on a LT (Clady/Oher) and a C (Justice/Wallace) it would be very benificial to the run game, even if we were still relying on Dayne and Walker. Id love to have a running back like Michael Turner or Jonathan Stewart, but a good running back is easier to find than good O-linemen.

Thorn
12-30-2007, 11:33 PM
A HOF running back like Earl Campbell or Barry Sanders will make up for a sub-par offensive line, but those players are very rare. Its more common for good production in the running game to start up front with a solid offensive line. If the Texans were to use both first day draft picks on a LT (Clady/Oher) and a C (Justice/Wallace) it would be very benificial to the run game, even if we were still relying on Dayne and Walker. Id love to have a running back like Michael Turner or Jonathan Stewart, but a good running back is easier to find than good O-linemen.

The TRUTH has been spoken here folks.

hookinreds
12-31-2007, 12:10 AM
On Walker I think that he's got good vision, good instincts, and great natural ability to find the holes and get through them. I think it's unfortunate that he has this along with a general lack of speed, strength, and size. I think he's going to make a very good third down or "change of pace" back for us but the odds do not favor him ever becoming a starter. I know he looks like DD sometimes but he's not. They just share the jersey number and the instincts. Still, I'd love to see him prove me wrong.

I note that the subject of "What's Chris Taylor ever done?" seems to be fairly hot at the moment. I always thought the same thing but last year when he played in that game against Cleveland I think I understand what he's done and what the Texans see in him. Frankly I don't see what's so bad about a player spending most of a year on the practice squad as Chris Taylor did last year and Darius Walker did this year. They coached them up all year and got them involved when they were ready. Both of them seemed to respond very well to this approach. Not everybody gets it right away and not everybody is prepared to play at this level from week one.

Demps I think is literally a gift from the gods. The secondary is getting murdered week in and week out but since Demps began starting it isn't completely killing us. He's the best thing we've seen at safety on this team since Marlon McCree. We need to hang on to this guy. Is he going to Canton when he's done playing? Of course not. He can play however and that's a step above many of the stooges we've had back there in the not too distant past.

I couldn't agree more Herv. I think Walker has the vision and skills but lacks size and speed. For some reason when I see him play, I think about Allen Pinkett, similar in stature (+2" & 20lbs) and coincidently both golden domers. I think he fits a Pinkett type of roll player for me. Think we bring him to camp as a 3rd down back.

Taylor, I liked what I saw, but would like to see more from him in camp next year. I'd like to see us draft a back, but would like to address the OL twice before that, which might mean us getting a FA RB. We need some corn fed mules to plow the road, wether it's in the draft or FA.

Demps, I've been impressed with him for a while now, comenting on how he is of a rare group of DBs that actually know how to tackle, even when they go for the highlight real. I'd bring him back, and make someone beat him for the position, his spot is not one that I feel we "must" fill and would spend time somewhere else.

austintexanite
12-31-2007, 12:49 AM
I wouldn't pencil in Walker as the starter for next year, but I can see him contributing to the team. I can see Demps starting and continuing to play at a high level.