PDA

View Full Version : Ex-UCLA coach Karl Dorrell could replace Mike Sherman

mexican_texan
12-28-2007, 12:05 PM
Former UCLA coach Karl Dorrell will be one of the candidates to replace Mike Sherman as the Texans' offensive coordinator next season.

When coach Gary Kubiak was offensive coordinator at Denver, Dorrell was the Broncos' receivers coach for three seasons (2000-02) before he left to become UCLA's head coach. Dorrell was fired by the Bruins earlier this month.

Kyle Shanahan, who has coached receivers and quarterbacks in his two seasons with the Texans, also is a candidate to replace Sherman, who was hired earlier this month as the new coach at Texas A&M.

Shanahan and Dorrell could be two of many coaches Kubiak considers as Sherman's replacement.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5407371.html

DerekLee1
12-28-2007, 12:09 PM
That's all well and good, but what the hell are we doing about this underperforming defense?

adam
12-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Yawn. I would actually rather have Shanahan.

mexican_texan
12-28-2007, 12:13 PM
That's all well and good, but what the hell are we doing about this underperforming defense?
Since we've signed him, I've believed that Frank Bush will eventually take Richard Smith's job or at least take over certain responsibilities.

Overalls
12-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Since we've signed him, I've believed that Frank Bush will eventually take Richard Smith's job or at least take over certain responsibilities.

I could live with that.

b0ng
12-28-2007, 09:53 PM
Didn't Karl Dorrell get fired from UCLA midseason this year because he was not all that great?

He's worked with Kubiak before, but I would rather just go with min-Shanny than this dude. UCLA looked awful this year.

NitroGSXR
12-28-2007, 10:04 PM
I want an offensive coordinator who's not learning on the fly. Please? Shanahan would be learning on the fly as well as Dorrell. Dorrell has never been an offensive coordinator.

TexanSam
12-28-2007, 10:05 PM
I want an offensive coordinator who's not learning on the fly. Please? Shanahan would be learning on the fly as well as Dorrell. Dorrell has never been an offensive coordinator.

I don't know if Steve Mariucci will even be a candidate as our new OC, but I'd like him to replace Sherman.

Texans_Chick
12-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Didn't Karl Dorrell get fired from UCLA midseason this year because he was not all that great?

He's worked with Kubiak before, but I would rather just go with min-Shanny than this dude. UCLA looked awful this year.

I would like to hire him in whatever capacity the Texans choose.

The best parts of the Texans are coached by people who have a connection to the Bronco team and know what Kubiak wants to have done. Whoever is going to be a coordinator is likely going to not be a strong coordinator anyways because its Kubiak's offense.

I am more concerned about the defensive side of the ball.

Honoring Earl 34
12-28-2007, 10:59 PM

The best parts of the Texans are coached by people who have a connection to the Bronco team and know what Kubiak wants to have done. Whoever is going to be a coordinator is likely going to not be a strong coordinator anyways because its Kubiak's offense.

I would like one of the Ryan brothers for DC .

b0ng
12-28-2007, 11:18 PM

Hiring in a capacity is one thing, but being named the OC just right off the bat seems a little bit of a jump for this guy and his credentials.

I'd rather go with mini-shanahan at this stage, and that is also something Kubiak stated earlier when it was first learned that Sherman was going to TAMU. But as far as what this man has accomplished and what position people are talking about him moving to, I am not very warm on this, not at all.

Now, if they said Mike Leach was looking to become an OC for the Texans, I would be more intrigued and optimistic than I am right now with all this talk of Karl Dorrell.

I would like one of the Ryan brothers for DC .

I don't see either of them leaving their respective teams (Raiders, Ravens) to come do the DC thing here realistically. Either of them now days would probably be looking for a head coaching gig.

Texans_Chick
12-28-2007, 11:38 PM
Hiring in a capacity is one thing, but being named the OC just right off the bat seems a little bit of a jump for this guy and his credentials.

I'd rather go with mini-shanahan at this stage, and that is also something Kubiak stated earlier when it was first learned that Sherman was going to TAMU. But as far as what this man has accomplished and what position people are talking about him moving to, I am not very warm on this, not at all.

Now, if they said Mike Leach was looking to become an OC for the Texans, I would be more intrigued and optimistic than I am right now with all this talk of Karl Dorrell.

Leach? He does a different thing. I love Leach, but I don't see that at all.

Darnell actually has more experience than Mini.

One of the best assistants for the Texans is a failed college head coach who is very familiar with the Bronco system and Kubiak. His part of the Texans looked the best from the start.

Wanna guess?

feebleminded
12-28-2007, 11:46 PM

One of the best assistants for the Texans is a failed college head coach who is very familiar with the Bronco system and Kubiak. His part of the Texans looked the best from the start.

Wanna guess?

Kirksey has done a hell of a job with our wide outs this year, no doubt.

CloakNNNdagger
12-29-2007, 12:31 AM

MTSU credentials are not going to get anyone excited, but Kirksey may be a better choice if we're going to advance within our own ranks.

ArlingtonTexan
12-29-2007, 01:09 AM

Wanna guess?

I think people really fail to understand that head coaches fail more because of administrative and leadership issues than teaching and X/O issues. Plenty of guys who can teach and design schemes aren't very good leaders of men. Dorrell and his knowledge of the "Bronco" way means less contradictation in philosophy.

tulexan
12-29-2007, 09:21 AM
I'd take Dorrell. He lost a lot of talent over the past two years, but had a great offense a few years ago. Just because he has struggled as a head coach does not mean he isn't a good coordinator. He may not have the recruiting abilities or the leadership required to lead an entire team, but if he knows the system and has shown to have success when having talent, I'd give him a shot.

Texans_Chick
12-31-2007, 09:48 AM

Actually, I was thinking of Brian Pariani. The tight end position has been a bright spot of the team from the moment he was hired.

If someone knows the system and knows Kubiak it's a lot easier than trying to educate someone else into what you are trying to do.

Who is the actual coordinator for Kubiak isn't that important to me because he is an offensive minded head coach--so it is likely going to be a bit of a week coordinator position.

I wish I had more comfort on the defensive side of the ball.

dickieb
12-31-2007, 03:57 PM
I don't know about elevating position coaches based on that positions performance. A lot of that is because of the players skill set. If you take a position coach from an area that did well, you have to bring in someone else to replace them and risk taking steps backwards. Some coaches are better postion coaches than coordinators. I don't think it would be horible to bring in someone else for the coordinator postion, but it will probably be Shanny Jr.

Hervoyel
12-31-2007, 03:58 PM
I wish I had more comfort on the defensive side of the ball.

What's not to like? They're "Aggressive" right?

GP
12-31-2007, 06:40 PM
What's not to like? They're "Aggressive" right?

All we need is the army helmet.

If McNair would pay the bucks and find us a good, vintage army helmet for Richard to wear while pumping up the defense, we'd be set.

But it ain't gonna happen. Have you seen what army helmets are going for on ebay? It's outrageous.