PDA

View Full Version : Madden 09

Im-The-One80
12-22-2007, 10:07 PM
This is off of the subject and everything but who do you all think deserves to be on the cover and why?

PapaL
12-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Jesus in Cleats aka Reggie Bush because he's AWESOME!

:sarcasm:

PapaL
12-22-2007, 10:11 PM
Really though, any/all the Patriots will be on there.

Im-The-One80
12-22-2007, 10:23 PM
I might have to say Super Mario is in high contention right?. Or maybe AJ if he didn't miss those games.

dtran04
12-22-2007, 10:36 PM
Peyton Manning please. :)

tulexan
12-22-2007, 10:36 PM
Tom Brady

Im-The-One80
12-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Personally I hope it isnt anyone on the patriots in my opinion they are overrated.

tulexan
12-22-2007, 11:54 PM
Personally I hope it isnt anyone on the patriots in my opinion they are overrated.

Yeah, they are so overrated that they are going to be 16-0 in two weeks.

SA Texan
12-22-2007, 11:56 PM
I don't want to see any Texan on the cover. Actually, I think Madded should go back to being on the cover himself.

ChrisG
12-23-2007, 12:22 AM
I might have to say Super Mario is in high contention right?. Or maybe AJ if he didn't miss those games.

NO! we can't use any more injuries!

put Manning on there, could always use less competion in the AFC-S, he turned it down last year, we need to offer him more

TexanSam
12-23-2007, 12:36 AM
It's probably going to be Brady or Moss

Brandon420tx
12-23-2007, 12:49 AM
I think they're going to continue the youth movement and go with Adrian Peterson from the Vikings

eriadoc
12-23-2007, 01:43 AM
LT refused it last year. If players are smart, they'll all refuse it. I cannot logically believe in the Madden Curse, but it just seems to keep on happening, despite what I believe. So in that regard, please put Peyton Manning on the cover. Think VY would want to be on it again? :)

12-23-2007, 01:56 AM
i'll be shocked if it's not moss or AP.

dtran04
12-23-2007, 01:59 AM
AD would be a disaster. He'll be injured during the preseason. Please turn it down AD.

TEXANS84
12-23-2007, 02:28 AM
Moss or TO

TheIronDuke
12-23-2007, 10:13 AM
Brady or Moss but I wish they'd use VY again.

gwallaia
12-23-2007, 10:35 AM
I suppose the Curse manifested itself in Vince Young this season by making him one of the worst QBs in the NFL.

adam
12-23-2007, 10:46 AM

Yawn. How many times do we have to hear this from jealous fans? At one point the Patriots won 21 straight games, and now they are looking to 16-0 and lead the league in most offensive categories. Texans fans have a reputation for class, could we please show a little and perhaps admit that the Pats are just damned good football team with a football genius (Belichick) at the helm?

adam
12-23-2007, 10:48 AM
I suppose the Curse manifested itself in Vince Young this season by making him one of the worst QBs in the NFL.

What's funny is that I have heard Titans fans/Vince Young lovers try to seriously use the "madden curse" to excuse his poor play.

Andrew6
12-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Yawn. How many times do we have to hear this from jealous fans? At one point the Patriots won 21 straight games, and now they are looking to 16-0 and lead the league in most offensive categories. Texans fans have a reputation for class, could we please show a little and perhaps admit that the Pats are just damned good football team with a football genius (Belichick) at the helm?

I have no doubt that the patriots are a good team. I do however don't care for a team that consistantly blows out other teams. When I watch NFL I don't care to see college scores. I personally find that to be a bit classless in itself. If a team is beaten leave it at that, don't rub it in.

kastofsna
12-23-2007, 11:29 AM
remember the main rule, folks: it can't be a white guy. so Brady and Manning are a no-go.

i guess Adrian Peterson.

TheIronDuke
12-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Now that I think of it, Devin Hester could be a candidate as well.

There's never been a white guy on the cover?

NitroGSXR
12-23-2007, 11:44 AM
I'll go with Brett Favre while he leads to super bowl glory. He deserves it even if he doesn't make it. It's who I'd want to play on Madden right now.

adam
12-23-2007, 11:50 AM
I have no doubt that the patriots are a good team. I do however don't care for a team that consistantly blows out other teams. When I watch NFL I don't care to see college scores. I personally find that to be a bit classless in itself. If a team is beaten leave it at that, don't rub it in.

If a team is full of assholes, and coached by an asshole...that doesn't mean that said team is overrated. It just means they're assholes.

tulexan
12-23-2007, 12:00 PM

If you don't want to be blown out, then stop them.

brakos82
12-23-2007, 12:27 PM
Now that I think of it, Devin Hester could be a candidate as well.

There's never been a white guy on the cover?

Just Madden himself.

rmartin65
12-23-2007, 12:49 PM

Exactly. These are professionals. It is not the offense's job to check themselves.

Andrew6
12-23-2007, 05:57 PM

:d: lol I just boycott watching them or anything that has to deal with them.

tulexan
12-23-2007, 06:03 PM
:d: lol I just boycott watching them or anything that has to deal with them.

Too bad your going to miss the Super Bowl

Andrew6
12-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Too bad your going to miss the Super Bowl

It'll probably be the Cowboys and the Patriots so I don't think I'll miss a thing. Thank you though.

False Start
12-25-2007, 11:45 PM
I would have to skip buying Madden for the first time ever if a Cowboy were on the cover . :mad:

Bulluck53
12-26-2007, 02:52 AM
Can Peyton be on the cover? I thought there was a problem with the whole NFL Fever fiasco and the rights for him.

Double Barrel
12-26-2007, 12:09 PM

Would you have a problem with it if it was the Texans blowing out other teams?

Looking back in my football memories, it was the failure of old Houston football teams to 'seal the deal' and keep on doing what they do that prevented them from winning a championship. 35-3 should have ended 61-6, IMO, but Pardee was being niiiiiiiiiice and started playing not to lose in that particular game.

The Patriots are four wins away from being considered the "greatest team in NFL history". They should keep doing what they do, in spite of hurt feelings or the un-PC attitude of it all.

Second Honeymoon
12-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Chad Johnson will probably campaign to be on the cover. He doesnt care what happens as long as he gets exposure. He could even wear that stupid Future-HOF yellow jacket he wore early this season on national tv. No wonder their season went into the tank after that immature me-first display.

Ryan
12-26-2007, 02:01 PM
i think it would be a safe bet for someone like Adrian Peterson. He's young, and already proven to be one of the best RB's in the NFL. But you could also make a safe bet for a receiver like Chad Johnson, Moss, TO, Steve Smith. It also wouldn't be much of a surprise to see Tony Romo either.

Nawzer
12-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Or they could turn back the clock and put Brett Favre on the cover. I think by now Favre would be curse proof.

Double Barrel
12-26-2007, 02:53 PM
I think the fact that the Titans are on the verge of making the playoffs in spite of Vince Young's sophomore struggles ends the whole idea of the "Madden curse".

Interesting coincidences, but that's all it's ever been.

kastofsna
12-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Young has been absolutely terrible this year. definitely plays along with the curse easily.

Second Honeymoon
12-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Young has been absolutely terrible this year. definitely plays along with the curse easily.

I think terrible is a little harsh. How many games have you actually watched of the Titans? Who does he have to throw to? He has led a woeful roster to an 8 win season just missing the playoffs in his rookie year and this year he has a team on the verge of the playoffs and in control of their own destiny going into the last week. All of this while coming out of the toughest division in the NFL. He has been pretty pedestrian at times and HAS NOT displayed the intangibles and athleticism that set him apart last year, but he has improved his passing and is doing enough to win in most cases.

He has a long way to go but this rush to judgement on him and the blanket statements that he can't pass and that the Titans are winning 'in spite' of him are just sour grapes imho. He has no one to throw to, little talent in the backfield, and is only in his 2nd year. If he was playing for the Texans (or Dolphins for that matter) and had them on the verge of the playoffs in both his first two seasons, people would not be so quick to say he sucks. I know its fashionable and seems like the 2nd most favorite pastime around here aside from bashing Reggie Bush, but the guy sure as hell whipped the hell out of the Texans. I guess either Young must be somewhat good after all or the Texans are just horrible. I tend to give my hometeam a little credit and think that Vince is not that bad after all. I am sure if they won the freaking Super Bowl people would still find something to harp and whine about regarding Vince.

Mix in a little objectivity everyone. Vince is far from where he needs to be but to call him horrible or terrible or stuff like that is just off base and displays an agenda that isn't hard to recognize. I hope the Titans fall on their face Sunday v. the Colts and the smart money says they will....but they are almost a playoff team even with the 2nd lowest payroll in the NFL behind the Bills. Credit Jeff Fisher for that but dont discount what VY brings to the table....they were 3-13 before he got there.

kastofsna
12-26-2007, 04:15 PM
replace Young with "Grossman" with all of what you said and it applies to last year's Bears team.

they are going to make the playoffs because of their defense. period. Young is a terrible terrible quarterback.

Double Barrel
12-26-2007, 04:26 PM

Curse us with a playoff appearance then. :cool:

Face it, Vince Young broke the Madden curse, just like another Titan thumbed his nose at the curse in a previous season. Eddie George was in the NFL playoffs for his Madden cover, too (along with career highs in yardage and touchdowns that same year, too).

I'm not a VY fan, but I find this curse nonsense to be perpetuating silliness.

mexican_texan
12-26-2007, 04:30 PM
So did he have the curse last year too?

kastofsna
12-26-2007, 05:07 PM
i suppose it's all relative. this year is actually considered good by someone who sucks as much as Young.

eriadoc
12-26-2007, 05:13 PM
The myth of the Madden Curse has never had anything to do with team accomplishments - only individual success (which of course does affect team performance to varying degrees).

Regarding VY, don't you think the Titans would have already been a lock for the playoffs if you reversed VY's TD/INT ratio?

Second Honeymoon
12-26-2007, 05:46 PM
i suppose it's all relative. this year is actually considered good by someone who sucks as much as Young.

...for a dolphins fan to call out Young for his QBing is just hilarious and chock full of irony....although i guess as a dolphins fan, you could be considered an expert in the subject of bad QB play lately...but i digress..

you are good peeps kastofsna and far from ill-informed on nearly every subject, but the name of the game is winning and Fisher has a team, 31st in payroll, on the verge of the playoffs two years. VY is part of that package at the most important position. He is inconsistent but he isnt preventing his team from winning football games like truly 'bad' QBs do. If their owner wasn't such a cheap and greedy bastage I would say that is going to change but I imagine they will stay at the bottom of the payroll scale as it pertains to the players on the field. I will give Bud credit for resigning Fisher and giving him a huge payraise. even that greasy bumpkin is smart enough to know that coaching is the best place to spend the big $$ (one day McNair will learn this)

kastofsna
12-26-2007, 06:36 PM
...for a dolphins fan blah blah
yawn.

Double Barrel
12-26-2007, 06:50 PM
The myth of the Madden Curse has never had anything to do with team accomplishments - only individual success (which of course does affect team performance to varying degrees).

Then Eddie George still broke the "rules of the curse". He had a great year when he was on the cover.

As far as VY is concerned, he was going to have a sophomore slump regardless if he was on the cover or not. Any player as over-rated and over-hyped as he's been is almost never going to live up to the media hoopla.

eriadoc
12-26-2007, 07:13 PM
Then Eddie George still broke the "rules of the curse". He had a great year when he was on the cover.

And he never did anything worth noting ever again. In fact, that was the year he had a key fumble in the playoffs. Not that it matters, because I am not perpetuating the Madden Curse. I just find it ... amusing? .... that this incredible string of coincincidences continues to occur. Couple with that how many athletes are notoriously superstitious, and it's kind of fun to examine each year.

As far as VY is concerned, he was going to have a sophomore slump regardless if he was on the cover or not. Any player as over-rated and over-hyped as he's been is almost never going to live up to the media hoopla.

I agree with your take about the hype and media exposure, but realistically, it's not too much to expect VY to have posted an even TD/INT ratio, or at least close. If turnovers are the #1 determinant in winning football games, and VY was -8 in that department by himself, then he's hurting his team more than he's helping. Pointing to the Titans team success this season is just like saying that Grossman took the Bears to the Super Bowl. Last year, VY was +3 in the turnover department, and was a much bigger factor in their success. This year, he regressed big time.

So, hype measuring aside, he just hasn't played well. He has the luxury of playing on a well coached team that has a good defense and runs the ball pretty well. Good for him. I expected to see slight improvement this year, not Pro Bowl numbers.

Double Barrel
12-26-2007, 07:43 PM
And he never did anything worth noting ever again. In fact, that was the year he had a key fumble in the playoffs. Not that it matters, because I am not perpetuating the Madden Curse. I just find it ... amusing? .... that this incredible string of coincincidences continues to occur. Couple with that how many athletes are notoriously superstitious, and it's kind of fun to examine each year.

Well, to be fair, George had already been run into the ground by the time he was given a cover (a season after the Super Bowl appearance by the Titans). He never missed a start due to injury, and it is my impression that the curse relates more to injuries than anything else.

But, George seems to be one of the only players that escaped the injury bug from the curse.

I agree with your take about the hype and media exposure, but realistically, it's not too much to expect VY to have posted an even TD/INT ratio, or at least close. If turnovers are the #1 determinant in winning football games, and VY was -8 in that department by himself, then he's hurting his team more than he's helping. Pointing to the Titans team success this season is just like saying that Grossman took the Bears to the Super Bowl. Last year, VY was +3 in the turnover department, and was a much bigger factor in their success. This year, he regressed big time.

So, hype measuring aside, he just hasn't played well. He has the luxury of playing on a well coached team that has a good defense and runs the ball pretty well. Good for him. I expected to see slight improvement this year, not Pro Bowl numbers.

I've never been one to over-hype VY's QB skills, and to be honest, I think it's the area that will eventually expose him as a mediocre QB. What sets him apart is his athleticism and will to succeed, and he may very well have a solid NFL career based on those two factors. I've seen some good passes from him, but it's not consistent enough and he'll throw some air balls from time to time, too (hence the high INT numbers).

mexican_texan
12-26-2007, 07:59 PM
I think Eddie George got the worst from the curse. He had to end his career with the Cowboys. I'd rather blow my knee out.

Second Honeymoon
12-27-2007, 02:28 PM
I think Eddie George got the worst from the curse. He had to end his career with the Cowboys. I'd rather blow my knee out.

yeah, ending his career with the NFL's most successful franchise must have been really hard for the guy. I can't imagine a worse destination for any player than Dallas. No history. No tradition. No fan support. No money from the owner. No hot cheerleaders. No state taxes. No national exposure. No committment to winning. Yeah, pooor poooooor pooooooooor, Eddie.

/sarcasm off

I will never understand where this Napoleonic complex comes from for some Houstonians towards Dallas but especially the Cowboys. They arent your rivals. They reside in your home state. Did they steal your girlfriend or something?

I get that some of the Dallas fans that have awoken recently are some of the most bandwagonning and unknowledgeable football fans in existence but there are many Cowboys fans that are true blue and support their team without any animosity towards their Houstonian counterparts. I get that the closet fans are just pathetic but why unmitigated hatred? They are the only team to have brought a Lombardi Trophy to Texas and have done so 5 times. I guess jealousy can breed hatred but I think we are all better than that. Until the Texans play the Cowboys on an annual or near annual basis, its just kinda pathetic to hold so much animosity for a team that has nothing to do with your own team. hate the titans. hate the colts. hate the jags. that is what a real Texans fan does.

Texan_Bill
12-27-2007, 02:43 PM
yeah, ending his career with the NFL's most successful franchise must have been really hard for the guy. I can't imagine a worse destination for any player than Dallas. No history. No tradition. No fan support. No money from the owner. No hot cheerleaders. No state taxes. No national exposure. No committment to winning. Yeah, pooor poooooor pooooooooor, Eddie.

/sarcasm off

I will never understand where this Napoleonic complex comes from for some Houstonians towards Dallas but especially the Cowboys. They arent your rivals. They reside in your home state. Did they steal your girlfriend or something?

I get that some of the Dallas fans that have awoken recently are some of the most bandwagonning and unknowledgeable football fans in existence but there are many Cowboys fans that are true blue and support their team without any animosity towards their Houstonian counterparts. I get that the closet fans are just pathetic but why unmitigated hatred? They are the only team to have brought a Lombardi Trophy to Texas and have done so 5 times. I guess jealousy can breed hatred but I think we are all better than that. Until the Texans play the Cowboys on an annual or near annual basis, its just kinda pathetic to hold so much animosity for a team that has nothing to do with your own team. hate the titans. hate the colts. hate the jags. that is what a real Texans fan does.

YUP!! That was one successful Cowboy campaign that George was a part of... 6-10, that year??!??

As far as Dallas (and all that that implies sucking), it's been explained to you ad naseum... If you didn't get it then, you wont ever get it!!! Calling out a group of us as having 'Napoleonic complex' is pretty funny considering you are doing it sitting behind a keyboard and monitor.. :pirate:

So, I guess by your logic, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh fans are sitting around singing "Kum Ba Yah"... I wonder how Bills fans and Giants fans get along?!? 49ers and Raidahs fans?!??
:cowboy1:

Second Honeymoon
12-27-2007, 02:55 PM
YUP!! That was one successful Cowboy campaign that George was a part of... 6-10, that year??!??

As far as Dallas (and all that that implies sucking), it's been explained to you ad naseum... If you didn't get it then, you wont ever get it!!! Calling out a group of us as having 'Napoleonic complex' is pretty funny considering you are doing it sitting behind a keyboard and monitor.. :pirate:

So, I guess by your logic, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh fans are sitting around singing "Kum Ba Yah"... I wonder how Bills fans and Giants fans get along?!? 49ers and Raidahs fans?!??
:cowboy1:

TB, if aint jealousy/napoleonic complex then what is it? I want to understand where it comes from? I have been here since 1976 and have just never gotten the 'fever' I guess.

As for other in-state non-conference matchups like Buf-Giants, Eagles-Steelers, and 49ers-Raiders, none of them have this type of unsubstantiated hatred. The closest would be 49ers-Raiders because they are right across the bay from each other and its kind of a rich city v. poor city thing going, but even then I don't imagine its at the level I see round these parts.

I will claim ignorance on the reasons why the hatred is there. I may never understand it and its not required that I ever understand it. I just love my state more than I have ever loved my city, so maybe that is it. Heck, I even cheer for the Aggies in bowl games or non-conference matchups. The only Texas team that I truly hate and despise are the Spurs and that is because the Rockets have been their whipping boy since Dream left town and now they have more NBA Finals championships....all done with a player they tanked a season to get....oh wait, the Rockets tanked a season to get Dream and Sampson....never mind :)

Texan_Bill
12-27-2007, 03:16 PM
TB, if aint jealousy/napoleonic complex then what is it? I want to understand where it comes from? I have been here since 1976 and have just never gotten the 'fever' I guess.

As for other in-state non-conference matchups like Buf-Giants, Eagles-Steelers, and 49ers-Raiders, none of them have this type of unsubstantiated hatred. The closest would be 49ers-Raiders because they are right across the bay from each other and its kind of a rich city v. poor city thing going, but even then I don't imagine its at the level I see round these parts.

I will claim ignorance on the reasons why the hatred is there. I may never understand it and its not required that I ever understand it. I just love my state more than I have ever loved my city, so maybe that is it. Heck, I even cheer for the Aggies in bowl games or non-conference matchups. The only Texas team that I truly hate and despise are the Spurs and that is because the Rockets have been their whipping boy since Dream left town and now they have more NBA Finals championships....all done with a player they tanked a season to get....oh wait, the Rockets tanked a season to get Dream and Sampson....never mind :)

Okay... Let me simplify for you. Imagine a line starting in Beaumont, cutting just north of Huntsville and arcing all the way towards El Paso.... Everything south of that is cool. There is an arrogance to that city that's underserved. I have never met so many 30 thousand dollar a year - millionaires in my life. There is absolutely nothing that you can get in Dallas that you can't get here, and yet their attitudes are anything outside of Dallas is irrelevant.

Not to mention I have family up there and my cousins are the same age as me, so we grew up as rivals. My sister and I were the Oilers fans and they were the Cowgurls fans. Of course my cousins got the better of that, and don't think as kids they weren't rubbing it in.... This past summer, we couldn't play 3 or 4 holes of golf before the smack talk started. When my cousins and I are together we try to avoid the conversations on: A) Politics, B) Religion and C) SPORTS involving Houston and DullAss. Alas, we are un-successful on all 3 counts.

Astro's baseball has been relevant (hold off on your Bagwell and Astros comments for now - Cardinal fan), Rangers baseball hasn't been. Rockets, 4 Finals appearances and 2 World Championships, Mavs are the real 'choke city' with only 1 finals appearance.

I love the NHL and have always loved hockey, but I understand us not having a team. It wouldn't work, especially considering the attendance issues in the league now, including the Stars.

Texan_Bill
12-27-2007, 03:38 PM
As a side note: When visiting my cousins for Christmas and such, 'Dr. Doom' never lost to Tony Dorsett!!

Second Honeymoon
12-27-2007, 03:39 PM
Okay... Let me simplify for you. Imagine a line starting in Beaumont, cutting just north of Huntsville and arcing all the way towards El Paso.... Everything south of that is cool. There is an arrogance to that city that's underserved. I have never met so many 30 thousand dollar a year - millionaires in my life. There is absolutely nothing that you can get in Dallas that you can't get here, and yet their attitudes are anything outside of Dallas is irrelevant.

Not to mention I have family up there and my cousins are the same age as me, so we grew up as rivals. My sister and I were the Oilers fans and they were the Cowgurls fans. Of course my cousins got the better of that, and don't think as kids they weren't rubbing it in.... This past summer, we couldn't play 3 or 4 holes of golf before the smack talk started. When my cousins and I are together we try to avoid the conversations on: A) Politics, B) Religion and C) SPORTS involving Houston and DullAss. Alas, we are un-successful on all 3 counts.

Astro's baseball has been relevant (hold off on your Bagwell and Astros comments for now - Cardinal fan), Rangers baseball hasn't been. Rockets, 4 Finals appearances and 2 World Championships, Mavs are the real 'choke city' with only 1 finals appearance.

I love the NHL and have always loved hockey, but I understand us not having a team. It wouldn't work, especially considering the attendance issues in the league now, including the Stars.

Ok, that makes some sense to me. Kinda family related but also city person-related. Dallas people 'tend' to be a little uppity and try and act like they are better than the rest of the state. I get that. I havent experienced a lot of that but you have and that is more than I can claim to know about.

as for the Stros...you got scoreboard on that one. Stros have been playoff caliber for over a decade and have some old school history too (v. Phillies and v. Mets). I would rub the years of Rangers irrelevancy in their face too.

so the whole hatred comes from:
1. Dallas people tend to be snobs even though they have no right to be.
2. Dallas sports other than Cowboys have been pretty much irrelevant and laughable.
3. In-family rivalries only amplify the other 2 factors.

i kinda understand where it comes from now....thanks TB

Texan_Bill
12-27-2007, 03:46 PM
That's it, in a nut shell. Well, for me anyway.

Second Honeymoon
12-27-2007, 03:49 PM
That's it, in a nut shell. Well, for me anyway.

cool. my biggest problem is that there seems to be this mass of Cowboys fans that have come out of the closet and are invading our sports bars.

All have brand new gear and can probably name 2 guys on the whole team..Tony and TO....but they act like they are somehow validated as fans or that they are better than Texans fans because 'their team' is playing well....currently. Romo will choke like a dog come playoff time...count on it.

Texan_Bill
12-27-2007, 03:54 PM
cool. my biggest problem is that there seems to be this mass of Cowboys fans that have come out of the closet and are invading our sports bars.

All have brand new gear and can probably name 2 guys on the whole team..Tony and TO....but they act like they are somehow validated as fans or that they are better than Texans fans because 'their team' is playing well....currently. Romo will choke like a dog come playoff time...count on it.

A) typical bandwaggoner which Dallas has always had a lot of
B) Old Oilers fans that adopted the Cowboys when the Oilers left and/or,
C) Even I had friends (well sort of friends) here that were always Cowboys fans.

Double Barrel
12-27-2007, 04:10 PM
I get that some of the Dallas fans that have awoken recently are some of the most bandwagonning and unknowledgeable football fans in existence

This is the root of my hatred for the Cowboys. I'm a born Antipop, going against the grain until the day I drop. I was born and raised an Oiler fan, and my roots and allegiance will always be for Houston teams.

Growing up, though, I had a lot of family and friends that never lived in Dallas but were huge Cowboys fans. [The ones I love are the Houstonians that say "well my parents loved the Cowboys". Okey dokey, so you come from a long line of bandwagonners? That's something to put on your tombstone.]

It drove me crazy back then, because the only reason they punked on the Oilers and jumped on the Cowboys bandwagon was success. Even as a young kid, this struck me as disingenuous and rather shallow, sort of like the turncoats in the Revolutionary War.

Since then, I see "Cowboys fans" disappear when they have 6-10 seasons, only to 'magically' re-surface for winning seasons! And the arrogance they display is beyond reproach. I have been an outsider looking in my whole life, so I tend to study that which I cannot relate in order to understand. Now having studied bandwagon fans from all walks of life - Cowboys, Yankees (top 2 by far), Steelers, 49ers, Bulls, etc. - I've come to the conclusion that these folks are responsible for many of the things I dislike in this culture, pop music being high on the list.

There is something to be said about a person's character when they value devotion, patience, and allegiance in the face of adversity. Yeah yeah, it's just a game yada yada yada, but how we root for teams can often reflect upon who we are as people.

Second Honeymoon
12-28-2007, 11:42 AM
This is the root of my hatred for the Cowboys. I'm a born Antipop, going against the grain until the day I drop. I was born and raised an Oiler fan, and my roots and allegiance will always be for Houston teams.

Growing up, though, I had a lot of family and friends that never lived in Dallas but were huge Cowboys fans. [The ones I love are the Houstonians that say "well my parents loved the Cowboys". Okey dokey, so you come from a long line of bandwagonners? That's something to put on your tombstone.]

It drove me crazy back then, because the only reason they punked on the Oilers and jumped on the Cowboys bandwagon was success. Even as a young kid, this struck me as disingenuous and rather shallow, sort of like the turncoats in the Revolutionary War.

Since then, I see "Cowboys fans" disappear when they have 6-10 seasons, only to 'magically' re-surface for winning seasons! And the arrogance they display is beyond reproach. I have been an outsider looking in my whole life, so I tend to study that which I cannot relate in order to understand. Now having studied bandwagon fans from all walks of life - Cowboys, Yankees (top 2 by far), Steelers, 49ers, Bulls, etc. - I've come to the conclusion that these folks are responsible for many of the things I dislike in this culture, pop music being high on the list.

There is something to be said about a person's character when they value devotion, patience, and allegiance in the face of adversity. Yeah yeah, it's just a game yada yada yada, but how we root for teams can often reflect upon who we are as people.

very very very well put

DB WINS